• Overall
    4,4 /5
    4,4 /5

About Expensify

Easily track your receipts and manage expenses on the go with Expensify.

Learn more about Expensify

David B.
Owner-Operator
Restaurants, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/08/20

"Affordable and Convenient , yet I plan to leave expensify"

Comments: it is worth trying. but unlike even a year ago the competition is finally offering similar features for similar pricing.

Pros: due to popularity it is easily assesable and offered many ways to upload an expense. I like how unlike most app/software companies gets it as they make if affordable and capture the biggest marketshare.any companies think their software is be get tham it is and is cost prohibitive or have user minimums which usually are not applicable for small business. I love how they are one of the few to offer personal credit card integration feeds. Believe it or not most do not and actually expect us to upload statements

Cons: buggy at times, doesn't transition from mobile to desktop or we based version. mobile app.has far less ability. mostly if fails at the main purpose, saving me time. every months nearly every expense is duplicated, failing to match itself to the credit transactionnand this takes forever to fix. It only sycs properly to the credit transaction if the receipt photo is taken from then app. if you try to upload screenshots? email you invoiced and use the ios "Sent too function" it duplicates the transaction..tech support actually told me to wait for the bank before uploading the receipt. This eliminated the entire point of the product.

Software Engineer
Computer Software, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/10

"Absolutely a joy to use"

Comments: Expensify makes it easy for employees to submit timely reimbursements, whether from their phones or the browser. On the other side, Expensify also makes it very easy for the expense administrator to approve reports.

Pros: The UI is so snappy and intuitive to use. Uploading receipts, finding what category to use, finding out if your expense is over budget--the UI tells you all exactly where you expect it.

Cons: This isn't inherent to the product itself, but I found customer support difficult to deal with. When I ran into a bug where the reports I had previously submitted disappeared, I had to wait a few days before they got back to me via email and their first question was basically "are you sure you had submitted them before?"

• Reviewed on 2020/12/10
Nate P.
Tech Operations Advisor
Legal Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/14

"Expensify Expense Tracking"

Comments: I originally used this software because it was the most straight forward "fool proof" software that allowed me to manage and track several employees travel expenses and business mileage and keeping it as simple as possible for the employees. By implementing this software into our expense tracking, our employee's no longer have to worry about paperwork and keeping track of physical receipts so long as they take a picture of it in Expensify.

Pros: The feature that won me over is the softwares ability to extract the necessary relevant information from a picture of the receipt and its reliability to accurately create an expense entry automatically. The other feature that really stands out is the dedicated email address you have to send receipts to the app. This feature is great because of rules i have established in outlook so that any "receipts" from certain companies automatically gets forwarded to my Expensify account.

Cons: Occasionally, when I was trying to submit a few large reports the app would freeze up on me. Otherwise I cannot think of any negative experiences I have had with Expensify.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/14
Matt S.
Operations Manager
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/08

"Expensify for Ecommerce"

Comments: My overall experience with Expensify has been top notch. It really has helped our company become organized and has completely streamlined our expense tracking with ease.

Pros: Expensify is hands down the best expense tracking choice for our company. There are a lot of pros to Expensify. Their customer service is amazing, always responding quickly and answering my questions in a very understandable manner. Their app is what we use most, it's simple and easy to use - having every feature you'd every need for tracking expenses. I've also done some research on their company culture and it seems like they really invest into their employees lives. This definitely looks like a great company to work for.

Cons: There aren't many cons for Expensify. But if I had to choose something, it would be that the app doesn't real-time-sync with the admin system, you have to manually re-sync when something changes. For example: When the admin adds a new expense category, it doesn't show in the app right away unless the user manually "syncs". At the end of the day, this really isn't that big of a deal.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/08
Jennifer J.
Finance & Operations Manager
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/08/31

"Simple and Easy to Use Expense Tracking & Reimbursement Software"

Comments: Overall, I'm satisfied. Expensify greatly reduced the time required to process and review staff expenses, both those charged on their own credit cards and corporate credit cards.

Pros: Easy to set-up and use. Requires minimal user (employee) training. Integrates well with our accounting platform, Xero. Love the corporate card integration function, which allows administrators to track pending translocation and overall management of the credit card account. Cost is fair.

Cons: Can improve on reporting/analytical capabilities of transactions processed via Expensify. Customer service is almost non-existent, have to rely primarily on community forums to troubleshoot.

• Reviewed on 2020/08/31
Blair P.
Pastor
Religious Institutions, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/10

"Great app for tracking expenses"

Comments: Overall, I would highly recommend this app for anyone who needs to keep track of expenses. It simplifies the process and makes keeping track of receipts so easy. I don't pay for the monthly fee because I don't have enough to track, and an option to buy it outright might be nice for someone like me, but if I had a lot to track I can see the low monthly fee be a worthwhile expense.

Pros: It's simple, easy and keeps me organized. I am not naturally organized (I would just as soon throw a receipt out as try to remember to keep it and then submit it to my office) and so I have to intentionally work at it. This app makes it quick and easy. You take a pic and add some info and it's done. I don't pay the monthly fee because I don't have that much to track, but if you do I would think it's well worth the money. It breaks your expenses down into manageable categories and works offline if needed. If you need help staying organized or just want less paper to keep track of then I would recommend this app.

Cons: There really isn't anything about this app that I dislike. It does what it's supposed to do and it does it very well. Maybe if it integrated with my phone camera so when I take a picture of a receipt it automatically gives me the option to import it into Expensify? Maybe that's a pipe dream...

• Reviewed on 2019/10/10
Davidq H.
Senior Accountant
  • Reviewed on 2017/11/14

"The best solution I have found for the retaining and coding of receipts!"

Pros: This is the best software/app I have used to date to manage employee expenses. As an accountant, there is a constant struggle to get employees to retain and code their receipts; Expensify makes it easy for both! The receipt matching and scanning functionality has really impressed me as well. Take a picture of your receipt, and, most of the time, it will auto-match to the corresponding transaction. Another great feature is that Expensify will generate audit-able receipts for certain small transactions.

Cons: Expensify's per user pricing can be a large deterrent depending on company size. A bulk pricing option would be much more tantalizing for larger and even mid-size companies.

• Reviewed on 2017/11/14
Web Content Manager
Furniture, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/05/01

"Super easy expense tracker for business, reimbursement, or personal"

Comments: Helped me track my travel, business and personal expenses

Pros: Expensify is extremely easy to use. You simply take a picture of your receipt or invoice and it digitally reads the receipt, figuring out what it is for, the amount, the payment method, and the merchant. It's not always perfect at doing this, but it's usually pretty accurate. You can create "buckets" so you can keep your expenses separated by type, so if you need one for your work and one for your personal and one for your side job, they can all be separated. It's also great for trips or for tracking receipts for reimbursement. We used it at my church to track things we bought for the church, and I've used it on business trips to track my reimbursable expenditures. This is made easier by the fact that you can then run reports on your expenses so you can hand those over to the other party for reimbursement or expensing.

Cons: As I mentioned, the automatic detection feature is not always 100% accurate; some manual editing is sometimes required. Also, I've had some issues with the app freezing or the camera not working. Overall though, it manages to take most of the pain out of expense tracking.

• Reviewed on 2018/05/01
Nadia U.
Ad Product Marketing
Marketing & Advertising, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/10

"I used this product when I was a remote worker for a startup"

Comments: Quick reimbursement, ease of use, instant upload of receipts.

Pros: I used to hate doing my expenses because the paperwork was overwhelming. Everything about this tool is great--I can upload receipts instantly and assign a client and project to it. I'm always aware of the status of my reimbursement. It also is great for international travel, converting currencies. I get reimbursed quickly, which leads me to believe that the reporting is organized and easy to approve.

Cons: There aren't many cons that I can think of, as I used it for submitting expenses only. If you have any issues, you can get a direct response through email and phone.

• Reviewed on 2018/04/10
Jeff S.
Contribution Manager
Religious Institutions, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/19

"Awesome software!"

Comments: Overall, it has been very pleasant. The staff reply to email questions quickly and work hard when there are errors.

Pros: As an approver of expenses, it is easy to reject wrongly submitted lines and tell the staff why. It is easy to approve and reimburse! They work hard to keep all major credit cards connected.

Cons: While it would be nice, it is hard to connect to every possible credit card and bank. My personal bank credit card does not connect for auto import.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/19
Accounting, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2017/12/21

"Great in theory, from a bookkeeping POV"

Pros: When working properly, it easily brings account codes, jobs and copies of receipts into accounting software. It links to various credit cards with the paid version for easy reconciliations. The biggest benefit for my application was having the individual card users coding and providing backup for their transactions with the ability to then very easily reconcile in the account software (I use Xero).

Cons: The customer service is the worst I've ever encountered, of all companies I've ever worked with in my life. All questions are submitted via chat with a minimum of 2-4 hours between responses. This makes a conversation impossible. There is no help with initial setup or training, which would likely reduce all subsequent problems. Even for an accounting firm who wants to implement the software to a number of clients, there is no personal help. There are constant issues with the credit card links and the sync needs to be manually updated to reconnect. This is not apparent until the user realizes that transactions are missing. From a workflow perspective, these issues should be resolved automatically or a notification received. There are constant changes within the software without forewarning. This makes using this product a constant battle with regularity. It's also not as intuitive as it should be. My clients often tell me the same, that the software just simply doesn't work well. As a small addon to a much larger web of integrated softwares, the amount of issues I had with this software makes it not worth using for my firm. My frustrations with getting it set up properly for my clients was met with indifference by the staff. Ultimately, in a world with many other options, I was forced to go elsewhere.

• Reviewed on 2017/12/21
Emma A.
Marketing Coordinator
Legal Services, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/08/20

"Saved me hours of time submitting expenses!"

Comments: When my company migrated over from different software, I was spending hours a month on submitting and coding receipts. Expensify has cut that time in half with its many features that enable automatic/bulk actions. I love it!

Pros: Expensify's Smart Scan feature (email a receipt in and they auto-scan it to fill out expense coding for you!), ability to drag & drop files, and creating rules. My favorite has to be the "rule" creation. We have a lot of recurring software subscription expenses and now I don't have to re-code every month for dozens of recurring charges.

Cons: I wish you could email receipts to different Credit Cards/Accounts from the same email address. I manage expense coding/submission for multiple accounts and could only link my email to one of them (to forward receipts for scanning). Duplicate expense creation can be a bit confusing- i.e. if you charge something to a CC, then forward the receipt to Expensify, if the receipt is received BEFORE the CC charge hits, there will be a duplicate expense submitted. The only way to tell was the tiny card vs. cash icon on the left of each expense.

Emily P.
Software Quality Analyst
  • Reviewed on 2018/08/21

"Great for tracking your expenses for work"

Pros: Overall I think this product is great for tracking expenses for my work. Its easy to track with pictures of receipts and easy to add any additional information. The app is easy to use (mostly) for tracking things when you are on the go.

Cons: I find it hard when submitting a monthly expense report to the office manager, that its difficult to submit one via the app. Most of the time I will have to get on the website and create a report and submit it that way. Not a huge inconvenience for me but it could be for others who are on the go and traveling a lot.

• Reviewed on 2018/08/21
Jenna B.
Director, Media Partnerships
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/17

"Straightforward Expense System"

Comments: Very positive. It's a very easy to use expense system. I access the system often to make sure my expenses are complete with correlated information and receipt attachment. I can quickly populate details on the move.

Pros: I access Expensify on a regular basis both on my work laptop and mobile phone (via app). Due to my company's expense policy, it's key to keep tabs on various monthly expenses and ensure they are submitted in a timely manner. Via the mobile app, I add expenses throughout work travel to ensure everything in captured along the way. This way, I avoid missing anything as well as avoid the last minute scramble to submit. To further optimize, I plan to directly link my business-dedicated credit card to have seamless integration.

Cons: The smartscan is quite slow to read receipt pictures and tends to hold up process. Therefore, I usually manually submit each of my expenses.

• Reviewed on 2019/09/17
  • Reviewed on 2018/10/24

"Excellent and very convenient too"

Comments: I have been using Expensify for years now. Find it very simple to use (I mainly use it from the mobile) and can export the data easily (which I do from my laptop)

Pros: It is very simple to use. Can be customised and you can export the data very easily which makes it awesome. Also the mobile client is perfect for sales people who are on the move.

Cons: Nothing much. I am very happy with the product

• Reviewed on 2018/10/24
Kyle J.
Web Developer
Education Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/11/15

"Expensify"

Comments: Company wide uniform Expense tracking. The benefit we realized is that with Expensify we can streamline generating and processing expense reports.

Pros: Expensify is a great tool for keeping track of business expenses, whether your dining out, traveling, or paying for a place to stay. Expensify has features that makes this process easy.
Expensify streamlines data entry with smart capture capabilities.
Customizable tags so users can categorize expenses in a way that makes sense to them. Also, can visually see the cost breakdown on your dashboard.
Capture mileage with a GPS tracker takes out the hard word of calculating yourself. This also makes sure you get an accurate result.
You can create invoices to anyone even if they do not have an Expensify account.
Automate when you want reports generated (daily, weekly, etc).
Connect your credit card/bank account and automatically pull in transactions.
Overall, Expensify does a great job and is very affordable.

Cons: Usually, with a product with many features, the likely problem is usually that the UI is a little hard to use at first. There is a learning curve to the product. Sometimes I have issues with the smart scan but that could be caused by my cell phone camera.

• Reviewed on 2017/11/15
Chief Executive
Telecommunications, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/25

"Good product, non-existent support"

Comments: The tool is good, but tech support and actual customer service is so lacking that we switched tools.

Pros: The product is good. It's flexible, easy for users to adopt, and it's available on multiple platforms.

Cons: We have had two issues over time that have required tech support from Expensify. Both times the issues were ultimately not resolved. The company has tried to automate tech support in a way that eliminates the ability to talk to an actual person. Ultimately, we decided to migrate away from Expensify to a platform that provides better support.

• Reviewed on 2019/04/25
Chandan M.
Associate Project Manager
Computer Software, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/28

"Expensify: An Expense Manager"

Pros: Expensify is an expense manager application used to manage expenses in between a group of individuals or a single person. It's a perfect travel/living expenses app.
People can add the screenshot of the bill and the software do rest of the things.

Cons: It's although a pretty nice software but it take some time to become use to of it.

• Reviewed on 2019/04/28
Bradley T.
Service Desk Analyst
Management Consulting, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/02/20

"Look no further! The right expense app is HERE!"

Pros: I love the ability to manage all of my expenses on the go. No more shoving receipts into my pockets with the hope that I will be able to find them later. Quickly snap images of all expenses and have the application automatically add the info into a personalized expense report.

Cons: None to list! This product is amazing. Keep it up Expensify!

• Reviewed on 2019/02/20
Karuppiah N.
Application Developer
Computer Software, 5 001-10 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/15

"Makes expense management easy with my company!"

Comments: The overall experience has been quite good. I am expecting more features from Expensify though

Pros: 1. The best thing I like about Expensify is it's smart scanner. If forward a bill or receipt to expensify, it will automatically scan it and create an expense for me, by filling the amount and the vendor. It also attached the bill email as attachment in the expense. That makes my life a lot easier! 2. The next best thing I love about Expensify is it's rules. When I create an expense, I can create a rule out of it. Next time if a similar expense comes up, the rule will be used to populate the required fields. This leads to me typing almost nothing. Just mouse clicks 3. It also warns me about duplicate receipts of sorts and asks me to review it! 4. It makes sure I am following the policy rules while creating expenses or reports, and gives me a warning and an error about it

Cons: 1. The smart scanner takes a lot of time to actually scan the emails I send. It does scan it in sometime, but I would like it to be quicker, rather than loading for so much time. 2. The suggestions feature in the expense section is not good. The suggestions search exactly based on what I type and look for prefixes. Instead I expect the search to be a fuzzy search, as it's tough for me remember the correct option to choose without knowing the name.

• Reviewed on 2018/11/15
Speech Language Pathologist/Owner
Individual & Family Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/09/27

"Expensify"

Comments: Terrible customer service with no indication they will be putting effort in to make changes.

Pros: Easy to use and works in conjunction with TSheets, which our company LOVES. TSheets is easy & has phenomenal customer service!!

Cons: They do not have a customer service priority in the company. They do not have a phone number and indicate they only provide support online (the support I received was via email- I don’t even see that live chat is an option). They can’t be bothered with immediately resolving their issues and work via delayed emails. we are trying to get through a busy time with them and will look to switch to a customer service friendly company.

• Reviewed on 2018/09/27
Field Operations Specialist Team Lead
Hospitality, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/19

"User Friendly"

Comments: Very pleased with this program.

Pros: The program is user-friendly for the most part - it's pretty easy to figure things out if you have questions - however, tech support availability would be nice.

Cons: When issues do arise, it would be nice to have technical support available.

• Reviewed on 2019/03/19
Nina J.
Administrative Assistant
Religious Institutions, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/09/25

"Excellent option for easy expense reporting"

Pros: 1) I like that it interfaces easily with our banking websites and with our chart of accounts in Quickbooks.
2) Creating and submitting reports is easy, fast, and intuitive.
3) The app is very user friendly and doesn't require much training or effort to learn

Cons: 1) At times there is a delay in the time it takes for transactions to load from our credit card. At other times, there is an error in loading them that requires you to go into your settings and 're-load'. If you don't check this regularly, you could be missing transactions you didn't know were there.
2) I wish that there was more detail included in the transaction description. Sometimes I have to look at the transaction on our banking site to find out more information about where the transaction took place, etc.

• Reviewed on 2018/09/25
Director Of Finance And Accounting
51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/07/10

"Ease of use for end users, but not much functionality, features, or reporting for admins"

Comments: It allowed our company to switch from manual expense reporting to automated expense reporting. We are now switching to a better expense reporting tool.

Pros: Anyone that has a basic understanding of technology can just load the app and use it to submit reports.

Cons: While Expensify is super user friendly for end-users, the admin side of things is severally lacking. There are very few functions and configurations that can be made on the admin side. Also, the direct integration with QuickBooks Online is great and easy to use, but adding accounts in QuickBooks Online sometimes automatically adds accounts to certain expense policies in Expensify, but not all policies. It seems completely random which policies accounts are automatically added to and which ones aren't. Also, the reports you can pull from Expensify for admins is very limited, almost non-existent. I have reviewed lots of other expense reporting tools that provide a lot more for admins. The only customer support I have been able to find is through their website chat. I've waited multiple days for a response to issues I've had. Expensify also changed their pricing this year and they simply aren't competitive with other companies unless you lock into a contract of 1 year or more. Every other company I talked has month-to-month contracts with cheaper pricing than Expensify.

• Reviewed on 2018/07/10
Co-founder
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/25

"Easy expense-tracking for small businesses"

Pros: The app is easy to use and saves time on repetitive data entry tasks, since receipts can be scanned in and details are entered automatically. The free trial version covers limited volume needs for smaller businesses and means we were able to test it out before switching from our previous expense software.

Cons: It takes a little while to get used to the interface, especially on the web version.

• Reviewed on 2019/09/25