AmberPOS Reviews

by Pacific Amber Technologies

• Overall
    4,1 /5

About AmberPOS

Point of Sale Software and Retail Management Solutions for retailers in Canada and the United States.

Learn more about AmberPOS

Annette G.
Controller
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/02/21

"been using this for four years and it is VERY reliable. like all new software programs, you need to adjust to all new bells and whistles"

Comments: We are a unique company with three locations and use retail and layaways. looked at a TON of different software programs and this is the only one that could customize our Layaways for what we needed. Do you have to wait sometimes for answers? well yes, who doesn't? The majority of the time I get through right away.
However, when my server went down and I needed them ASAP, THEY ANSWERED VERY QUICKLY! I was up and running withing an ' hours' and it took me over a week to get my server back. (wasn't Amber's fault it was default hardware). We were still able to run the program on computers/registers without a server. (not many software companies can boast that)
I have dealt with another retail software program in the past where SQL was ALWAYS BREAKING DOWN (for days) then all of our stores were literally down. This system (AMBER) has a great SQL structure and database. There is no perfect software company but Amber has always been kind, considerate and helpful whenever I called for issues. The problems have always been fixed (some require patience which in today's world- no one wants to wait). the most important thing is to have a stable system AND having someone in your company who can help train those who are computer illiterate. it is up to you to make the changes in your company.
there are SOOO many reports to choose from that I still haven't used all of them. the best part is having all the customer history and all this history of purchases, sales etc that you can use.
Amber does a great job of tracking individual items, so you can easily see who purchased them. Exporting is great to excel spreadsheets.

Pros: Customer History and product history. this software tracks EVERYTHING that you do with a product.

Cons: glitches that come occasionally with updates.

• Reviewed on 2017/02/21
Wayne G.
  • Reviewed on 2014/10/17

"A robust POS for small businesses"

Pros: They are responsive to requests for assistance. The software has many advanced features. The value is good. The built-in reporting is nice, with some caveats (see below).

Cons: As a former software developer with 15 years of experience, there are a few issues I have. These might not bother everyone, though. First, the reporting system is nice, but you cannot alter the format or add/remove fields from the canned reports. This means I eventually had to build my own back end reporting system. The vast majority of people won't be able to do this, so be aware that if your main goal is robust reporting, this is a pretty major issue. Lack of keyboard shortcuts. If I change a SKU I cannot hit ctrl+S to save. I have to click the save button with the mouse. It's annoying. Unable to customize screen layouts. On the customer screen, for example, I cannot choose to display only the fields I use. This means there are a ton of fields I don't care about that I can't hide. This is the same for all the screens. The software has a lot of fields because of the advanced nature of its design. Even so, I don't need all of them, so being able to hide them would be wonderful. The label design system lacks a "snap to grid" system. Actually, it doesn't have a grid system at all. This makes designing a label unnecessarily difficult Custom queries cannot be altered later. If you setup a special price rule with a custom query and later wish to modify it, you must start over. Any attempt to change it will give you an error. This is annoying and leaves you open to risk that your new rule will miss logic you built into your old rule. It rounds down on sales taxes. If you sell any item that results in a sales tax value less than a penny, it won't charge sales tax. When you move thousands of dollars a year in these small transactions, this can lead to a substantial amount of sales tax you owe that the system never collected!

• Reviewed on 2014/10/17
Justin P.
  • Reviewed on 2011/11/09

Comments: I run a small business shoe store. The store has been in business for 33 years and coming into 2011 had never had any type of POS/inventory management. I came to SoftwareAdvice.com looking for assistance in locating the perfect retail software for a business that had previously never had as much as a computer. After a couple of months, I was able to narrow my search to Pacific Amber Technologies and their AmberPOS software. Despite being based out of Vancouver and having a 3-hour time difference to me on the east coast, Pacific Amber's customer service was top notch. Since they are a smaller business themselves, they seemed to understand the constraints of time and money and really worked to make sure I was getting everything I needed without spending more than I had to. In the early stages of getting all of the hardware, if they didn't have a product that I needed for a price that worked, they would direct me towards where online I could find it while maximizing my dollars. They assisted me every step of the way, from installation of software, to setup of any hardware, to getting my inventory tracking up and running. When it came time to set up my online store, AmberPOS was once again a huge help. The integration with my physical inventory and my online inventory was synced without much hang-up. As a business that hadn't used any type of inventory tracking previously, or anything digital at all, AmberPOS was relativity simple to teach to my sales staff and owner, all of who had very little computer experience. Most caught on very easily, and I definitely think that AmberPOS's layout and graphics not only make it a nice system to look at everyday, but much more inviting to someone who wouldn't be as comfortable with a system that functioned the same but looked like a spreadsheet. Over the past six months that we have had AmberPOS up and running fully in our store, any time we needed assistance we never had much issue getting in touch with their support team. Usually we could get the issue resolved within 24 hours, and they always checked back in to make sure everything was running smoothly. I cannot recommend Pacific Amber and their AmberPOS software more for a company of any size. The only reason I gave Functionality a 4-star rating is there are still a few minor issues, but whenever those are brought to their attention they are pretty quick to listen and update the software. I'll be sure to use AmberPOS for years to come!

• Reviewed on 2011/11/09
Matthew D.
General Manager
Recreational Facilities & Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/08/03

"Excellent POS option that does not break the wallet"

Comments: From the start, the AmberPOS Team has walked us through setup to some minor issues we have had. The fact that they responded with expedience during a 4th of July weekend speaks volumes! The team support has truly been wonderful! Easy program that can be navigated by younger staff, and flexibility of sales ability work very well. Considering that we are a ticket booth, snack bar, and retail store, this program covers all bases for us!

Pros: Scalability and user friendly features allow this to remain small but give the ability to increase as the business grows.

Cons: Due to our location, internet is a little slow. Although this is not a cloud based POS, it still requires updates that can bog down our internet. This is NOT an issue with the software, it is an in-house issue.

• Reviewed on 2020/08/03
Heather B.
CFO
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
    2,5 /5
  • Reviewed on 2016/01/21

"two way radio shop finally found rental software to manage serial numb"

Pros: We are a specialized radio shop and require that our products be tracked by serial numbers. While quickbooks and microsoft can manage this - you cannot search either of their pos systems by serial numbers. Amber is the first piece of software I have found in years that manages serial numbers AND will manage rental radios as well.

Cons: Having to log in and out continually is time consuming. Logging in to the inventory function then in to pos sales function - It would be nicer if you logged in once and could move throughout the program on the same log in.
You cannot edit an invoice once it is made - you have to void and re-issue with a different invoice number.

• Reviewed on 2016/01/21
Bookstore Manager
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/27

"Customer support is APPALLING!"

Cons: Random errors. Their "fully integrated credit card processing" isn't. Sales process through credit card payments but not recorded in register. Customer service's reponse: "Just do a physical inventory of your 15,000 items to determine what sold." Half of the month of sales and receiving history disappeared randomly for no known reason. They don't care.

by Pacific Amber Technologies on 2018/06/22

This review was mistakenly left for the wrong POS company. This is not our customer. They may have us mixed up with a Restaurant POS system with a similar name to ours. We don't sell restaurant POS systems. We sell a Retail POS system.

This anonymous review is either fake or left for the wrong POS company. It claims our system doesn't store transactions in the POS database. That is simply not true. We have thousands of customers, some with transactions going back 10+ years.

They must be mistaking our system for a different software. We tried to get Capterra to correct this mistaken and misleading review but they refused even though this was not left by one of our actual customers.

Katie C.
Furniture
  • Reviewed on 2014/06/13

"New furniture and accessories store"

Pros: The staff has been very helpful in directing us with how to set up the system for our use. We really like the intuitiveness of the main screen, and the system itself is easy to use once you have had one or two training sessions. The KnowledgeBase is a great tool to have, but it could have better information behind it.

Cons: The interface with credit card processing is much more difficult than it should be. It would be in Amber's clients' best interests if Amber would sell the credit card swiping system that is compatible with the system. I had to spend far too much time chasing details around between my credit card processing group (Chase PaymenTech - not a small unkown) and Amber. This part should be seamless for the customer. Amber is not an inexpensive system (to purchase, as well as the monthly licensing fees), which makes this more annoying to experience. There are far too many options in the Amber online store that lead to dead ends! If you don't sell it, don't have the option available.

• Reviewed on 2014/06/13
Judy S.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2017/06/06

"Works"

Pros: Everything is there and many reports
Scans products and works well with the credit processing
Can preform queries on data

Cons: only had a few credit processing to use that would work with the system
Ability to scan DL to get age verification still haven't been able to figure this out. When it scans, you get the driver's license number, not the birth date.
very costly better off to purchase the software as the support they refer you to the online manual anyway. Once into your second year, your system will be paid for.
make sure your data is the way they load into the system or you could be in big trouble with inventories not right.

• Reviewed on 2017/06/06
Kevin M.
  • Reviewed on 2011/11/24

Comments: I am very happy with the software and service from AmberPOS. I have specialized needs for my POS and PacificAmber Technologies have been especially responsive with regards to customization. They are receptive to ideas that will improve their software and show a commitment to producing the best product available. Their response time is very good and the AmberPOS staff have been thoroughly professional in all my dealings with them. My retail store is open seven days a week so stability is paramount. In over 7 years of use, I have yet to have my POS software crash. I heartily recommend this company and software to anyone in the retail sector.

• Reviewed on 2011/11/24
Emily S.
  • Reviewed on 2013/01/17

Comments: Though we have a few occasional hiccups (mostly in integrating with our online sales) overall Amber is a great system. The tech support team is on the ball, and the program itself is great for multi- or single-store use. It's aesthetically pleasing and intuitive, and the many (customizable) reports make it easy to get the exact sales data needed. We are very pleased we chose Amber and it's definitely improved the way we do business.

• Reviewed on 2013/01/17
Chris M.
Furniture
  • Reviewed on 2014/06/12

"AmberPOS Rocks!"

Pros: Ease of use and awesome people to help at a moment's notice!

Cons: A wee bit more ability to customize would be great.

• Reviewed on 2014/06/12
Anthony G.
Health, Wellness & Fitness
  • Reviewed on 2014/06/06

"Review Amber POS"

Pros: Easy to use, help desk always available, tons of options

Cons: Some security features. For one or two users, having to log in and out is a little cumbersome.

• Reviewed on 2014/06/06
Daniel S.
  • Reviewed on 2012/02/07

Comments: We are a small rapidly growing specialty garden store. We have used a few different POS systems since opening, about 6 years ago. All of the systems we worked with in the past had too many functionality issues for us to keep using their software for very long. Since switching to Amber POS almost 2 years ago, our system has become much more streamlined and much easier to use. We have a warehouse that we use for excess product and bulky item storage. Amber POS can accurately track ALL of our inventory in both locations. When we expand to more store locations, we can add an infinite number of additional stores, using all the existing information. No need to retype anything in! All business information is now kept in one place. It's very easy to find any information needed from product information, vendor information, customer information, to all sales history & reports. The staff at Pacific Amber has been a blessing for our business. They are always ready to help with any issues that may come up. They usually answer the phone on the first call, but if I have to leave a message, I get called back quickly. Try that with Quick books and see how you feel endlessly waiting for help that doesn’t come. We had some issues setting up our old accounting program on new computers we bought. The staff at Pacific Amber even helped us install software from another company! I'm not saying that they are supposed to or expected to, but service like that is one of the many reasons that I am extremely happy with their software and support. They care and it shows. They also got our new website up and running! They advised us which shopping cart software to use, and then integrated it to the Point Of Sale. Now we can upload, update, edit, add and remove products from our online store right from the POS window! When we sell an item online, the transaction can be downloaded into the POS without having to retype any information! I'm sure you can see how much time this can save! We can even sell on eBay though our website and not have to retype in ANY information; it all gets downloaded correctly right into the POS. All in all, this is a great system and I am very happy with it and the staff at Pacific Amber Technologies. I would highly recommend it to anyone who needs a solid POS system, from a single store with a small inventory, up to large retail companies with dozens of stores and thousands of products. This software can handle whatever you need it too.

• Reviewed on 2012/02/07
Kevin M.
Wine & Spirits, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/10/13

"Support of AmberPOS support"

Comments: For a stand alone POS solution, this is the one to choose.

Pros: AmberPOS has been our retail software supplier for over 15 years. We have had great support and solutions that fit our needs. Their improvements to the POS program has helped Marquis Wine Cellars get to the next stage of growth. Support is timely and knowledgeable. Lots of reporting capabilities and the program has been very stable over all these years.

Cons: This could integrate easier with accounting software.

• Reviewed on 2017/10/13
Rachel S.
    1,5 /5
  • Reviewed on 2016/06/08

"Too clunky and customer service is terrible unless you pay"

Pros: It communicates well between 2 stores. You can set up a way to track frequent buyer cards even though it's clunky.

Cons: Getting things set up is incredibly clunky, and it's nearly impossible to predict what will go wrong. They force you to buy a subscription to their customer service help, so at that point, it adds on to the price. And if you don't, you get absolutely no help getting their software to really work for you. Most of the problems we have had are entirely THEIR fault and they still won't help you without the "customer service" package. a) we keep getting a message that says "duplicate entry or something is wrong" and they won't/can't fix it unless we pay. We can't rearrange the order of the point system items without literally going in one at a time and hitting "up up" until it gets to where you want. This takes HOURS. You can't delete one transaction that you've "held" (or "parked" in their terms) without deleting ALL parked transactions. The frequent buyer program/points system is clunky and hard to manually fix anything.. I guess it's trying to prevent fraud, but... for instance, I'm a pet food store... we do a buy 12 get 1 free program on our bags of dog food. If a person buys 6 bags of one food, and then switches to a different line of foods but the first 6 bags might sort of count (like they buy 15# bags, then buy 30# bags) you can't transfer the points from the first 6 bags at all... there is no way to "force" the free bag and deduct points. If you comp the bag manually, the customer gets one more point, not 6 less points. There is no report that I can find that tells you how many returns you've done in 1 month, or from 1 vendor, or from 1 customer, etc.. no way to track returns at all as far as I can tell. Sales per day of the week is also not found. In order to do my taxes each month, I have to run 2 separate reports... 1 to find service sales (non-taxable) and another to find tax exempt sales (like for government orgs). shall I go on?

by Paul on 2016/08/12

I’m sorry our software didn’t work out for you Rachel. I hope you find something you’re more happy with.

We do not force customers to purchase a subscription to our support and updates program – it is completely optional, but the vast majority of our customers do decide to go with the plan as it’s such a great value for your money. We offer unlimited support and complete software updates for just CAD $29/m which ensures that your software is always up-to-date and any new versions of the software are installed free of charge. The program IS entirely optional as well, and some of our customers decide not to purchase the program and instead just pay for tech-support if they need it.

We also do include up to 6 hours of training, converting data and importing of inventory from an old POS system at no extra charge.

As for our “Try before you buy” program, we have a full 90 Day 100% Money Back Guarantee for anyone who purchases our software licenses, so if for any reason they are not 100% completely satisfied with our software, they can receive a full refund no questions asked.

• Reviewed on 2016/06/08
Abraham S.
Compliance Officer
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/04

"Excellent Software for an up-and-coming company"

Comments: I utilized and managed this software at a clothing store in Downtown Brooklyn a few years ago

Pros: The software itself has a very user-friendly interface when compared to other POS programs and customer service is respectful in the least. You may not reach them on your first call within a timely manner, but when you do get someone on the phone, they are always able to help you figure out your problems.

Cons: Like most POS software, it can be difficult to train new employees who are not tech savvy on using the interface. I would recommend a more competitive, modern software for companies with more than 10 employees.

• Reviewed on 2018/04/04
Donald Q.
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees

"On the short list"

Comments: Can use any merchant card services with it.

Pros: Customer Care and Professional Sales Representative. Was very informative and ease of use. Positive results for speaking to others who use it.

Cons: Seems a little pricey, I haven't found may things to criticize on. Nice that you don't have to buy a boatload of equipment.

Jan L.
  • Reviewed on 2012/02/21

Comments: My partner and I own two knitting stores with extensive inventory. The inventory system that we were previously using was not user friendly, nor did it provide us with adequate reporting tools. We knew there had to be a better system, but as small business owners, cost was a significant factor. After extensive research into a variety of different options we decided that Pacific Amber Technologies provided a better product than others that cost twice the price. We have now been working with Amber POS for over a year and cannot say enough about how happy we are with this transition. The support crew was extremely patient, efficient in training all our staff, and their continued support has been invaluable. I would 100% recommend Amber POS to any business, small or large.

• Reviewed on 2012/02/21
Mrityunjay S.
Financial Controller
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/08/23

"Happy with the product, followup services."

Pros: Really detailed and good control for inventory and very simple to use.
The best part is any one can learn how to use quick

Cons: Would have been awesome if you could integrate this software with any payment processing companies.
Overall good performance

• Reviewed on 2018/08/23
Dana J.
  • Reviewed on 2014/07/02

"Great product with excellent customer support"

Pros: The product is very versatile and can be customized to meet just about any store's needs. The customer support is very prompt and helpful (and the monthly service fee is very reasonable).

Cons: Their customer support hours of operation do not fully meet our needs. We are on the east coast, and Amber's customer support is based on the west coast, so their customer support is not available to us in the morning.

• Reviewed on 2014/07/02
Lawren R.
    2,5 /5
  • Reviewed on 2014/09/25

"Wouldn't recommend Amber POS"

Pros: Amber POS is fairly intuitive and easy to learn for the basics.

Cons: There are several major bugs in the software, which the staff refuses to fix, as well as some that took months to get them to fix. This software has cost my clients major admin time working around its problems. We've used this system for two years and are very unhappy with it. Historical data almost never runs correctly, and the techs at Pacific Amber seem to have no concept of how data is used for accounting (i.e. balance sheet accounts which have a point-in-time balance vs. income statement accounts which have a date range).

• Reviewed on 2014/09/25
Stephen M.
IT Manager
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/19

"Poor company"

Comments: Stay away

Pros: Pros???? None that I can see of. They play smoking mirrors with you. They did start the refund of the cost.

Cons: They want you to open up your environment to them. They want Team Viewer access to every computer that it is installed on, and SA database access on your SQL server where you do not have access to. They will not even give you the software! Not to mention forwarding the SQL port on your router to the server as well.... Major security holes and would highly recommend staying away from the POS!

• Reviewed on 2018/11/19
Nathan B.
Automotive
    1,5 /5
  • Reviewed on 2014/10/10

"If you are beyond a basic shop, move on!"

Pros: They were quick to refund our money when the product was not a good fit for us.

Cons: It's very limited, and you have no control. They lock down all admin tools and require you to call them for changes. If you do not pay the monthly support fee, it will cost you every time you call.

• Reviewed on 2014/10/10