15 years helping South African businesses

About ArcGIS

Web, on-prem and mobile solutions to help businesses with mapping, data management, predictive modeling, geocoding and more.

Learn more about ArcGIS

Pros:

Arcgis also functions very greatly in that it integrates very well with other software like google earth.

Cons:

ArcGIS is prone to crashes and does not do a good job explaining the errors. Often the crash is a result of low memory, but this is not fully identified by the software.

ArcGIS ratings

3.9
4.1
4.6
4.0

8.4/10

ArcGIS has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 500 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used ArcGIS before?

Bintang
Bintang
Graduate Trainee in Indonesia
Mining & Metals, 501–1,000 Employees

The Function and Facilty Tools of Arcgis

Comments: These software has allowed me to undestand the concept of geostatistical analysist.
And also these software has allowed me to achieve my degree in bachelor of mining engineering.Such help like layouting map, analysis out put contour and another geospatial analysis.

Pros:

Tool geostatistical, geospatial analysis

Cons:

There in few of module to learning tools

Tora
Tora
IT Service Desk Lead in Japan
Financial Services, 10,000+ Employees

Standard GIS software

Comments: It plots customer information by area on the map and develops marketing strategies for each area. It is welcome that the picture of delivery and sales activities has arrived in the spring just by being able to visualize it on a map. It has functions that can be said to be indispensable and complementary services.

Pros:

I find it attractive that you can create detailed maps and easily import and export GI data. We use it for regional marketing and product delivery optimization. GIS engine with the largest market share in the world. ArcGIS Desktop is a product that specializes in performing relatively advanced analysis on a PC and maintaining GIS data. Customization is also possible so that you can use it according to your business.

Cons:

The key thing is that the program is pretty heavy in that it can create detailed data. It's hard to move freely, depending on the PC specs. I think there is a trade-off between performance and dose, so I can't say I have to, but if I can move it a little more lightly, I have no complaints.

Nathan
Nathan
Environmental Scientist in US
Civil Engineering, 51–200 Employees

I use ArcMap daily, but almost always as a part of my overall editing flow.

Comments: It makes the start of very pretty maps, sometimes. I almost always generate base layers here, and then export them into illustrator/photoshop to do actual final renders.

Pros:

The styling guides are better than any other options out there - once you can learn to navigate the byzantine menus. I've used QGIS, Globalmapper, AutoCad, and Microstation, and maps just look better in ArcMap than in any others -it's made for creating display mapping. I know that there are other programmatic things you can do, but for my workflow, I use it almost exclusively for building maps for display.

Cons:

The menus are silly that you have to go that far down a rabbit hole, processing is a nightmare (especially with messy geometry), and I used to (until I quit trying altogether) find myself trying a processing task in ArcMap, watching it fail, and then trying it again in GlobalMapper/QGIS and it would do fine. Processing is a very weak point in ArcMap, at least from my perspective.

Jon
GIS Technician in US
Higher Education, 51–200 Employees

Great Planning Tool

Pros:

1. accessible 2. great for interior/exterior planning 3.Works extremely well for storing data and documents 4. Very clean drawings for stakeholders to use

Cons:

Takes time to assemble and labor intensive. Once the basic drawings and completed, maintenance of site is pretty straight-forward. I suggest using a AE firm to assist in initial implementation. I did it myself and it was a bit of a steep learning curve.

Brian
Assistant Utilities Director in US
Utilities, 11–50 Employees

Utility mapping on both the desktop and mobile devices

Comments: Our mobile workforce has become significantly more efficient due to the ArcGIS platform and the systems that we have built upon its frameworks. ArcGIS has become a core piece of our business and our daily operations, and we continue to increase its use and integration with other systems.

Pros:

ArcGIS continues to evolve as a product as our needs grow as a customer. We are moving away from desktop-based GIS, with nearly all employees now using mobile devices as their primary tool to access our utility mapping data. ArcGIS Online has made this available, and we continue to grow our mobile offerings, though the AGOL platform still allows us numerous areas for us to continue to explore and utilize to improve our field workflows. Numerous samples, test applications, etc. are provided by ESRI to get you started, and since they're the industry leader, there are tons of real-world examples of the software in use that are available to the public.

Cons:

ArcGIS is an enormously complex software platform, with tons of automation and analysis tools available. However online documentation can be difficult to find, and is frequently written in ways that require an in-depth understanding of the systems. Prerequisite setup steps aren't always included in the documentation, instead it's often written with some assumptions in mind. Setups completed by other employees can be difficult to troubleshoot because of these assumptions in the documentation. The robustness of the platform can also lead to additional steps for end users, as they have to work through options that aren't relevent to them, but cannot be hidden from their view. One such example is just the login screen to the AGOL mobile apps causes our users frequent struggles as they can't remember the sequence of steps to get to the organization login. There should be increased administrator options available to simplify/restrict options available to the end user.

timothy
Database Administrator in US
Computer Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Excellent mapping software for the patient.

Comments: After about 100 hours of being hopelessly lost in the menus, import/export functions, and display properties, an average user will probably be able to impress their colleagues with a tidy and professional display of 2-d or 3-d data in a relevant map background, which very few other freeware programs are capable of creating.

Pros:

With enough time and interest, the features available for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Pro are brilliant and all-encompassing. Using raw map datums and a collection of information allows users to expertly display any sort of 2-d grid on any map projection with tons of custom options for audience display.

Cons:

The learning curve is very steep and the complexity of the software is overwhelming to new users. The number of navigable menus and sub-menus in the home screen of the project can be exhausting to figure out without doing everything incorrectly the first time. This is NOT the Microsoft Powerpoint of data display.

Dave
Dave
Information Technology Systems Administrator in US

ArcGIS Suite - Extremely Powerful

Comments: Our field crews and engineering staff couldn't function without it. Out utilities assets with all of their attributes are on our digital maps. On it we document structures attributes, condition over time, maintenance schedules, and even hyperlink photo and video inspections to each asset. Invaluable information no further away than a click of a button, no matter where in our world that you are!

Pros:

Extremely powerful software with a tool for just about anything you could think of to do with geographic data. "Smart Maps". Objects given geographic location and attributes of any kind that you want running in the background.

Cons:

ELA agreement is extremely reasonable but for a private individual it could be cost prohibitive. I believe they are working on a different license model for home users but would have to check on it.

Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

Review based a decades usage

Comments: Exceptional

Pros:

Wonderful interface, speed and ease of usage, useful and we'll designed tools. A strong userbase and Community resources.

Cons:

Supports windows only. If the desktop platform made available to Linux OS users it can be more reachable to world.

Rita
research technician in Portugal
Research, 501–1,000 Employees

The best GIS tool to have

Comments: Overall, after using othe GIS software, ArcGIS is by far the best software in this area.

Pros:

I appreciate how easy and user-friendly ArcGIS has gotten in recent years, which makes the experience more enjoyable for everyone. Nowadays I only work with geodatabase which allows me to work with a simpler interface.

Cons:

I still have some difficulty with layouts because it still makes me explore every single feature. It isn't quick to obtain good layouts with legend.

Ali
Engineer in Türkiye
Civil Engineering, 51–200 Employees

ArcGIS is GIS Standart

5.0 last month New

Pros:

With additional modules, there is nothing you cannot do in GIS.

Cons:

It's a pity that the desktop version stays on x86. For x64 the pro version is mandatory, it is very different.

venkatasivaram
GIS QA SPECIALIST in India
Civil Engineering, 11–50 Employees

GIS and what are the benefits of ARCGIS-ESRI suite of Tools

Comments: Amazing Worked for companies in India, USA, then back for Government clients in India, Oman, Dubai, europe and likewise. All the best with your search for a good GIS software.

Pros:

ESRI, Thank you since 1980s, ESRI has been a terrific performer, in Geospatial, Geotechnical, Geology, Government, Utilities, Transportation and Logistics, IT enablement. 1. ESRI is a high-end solutions and capabilities provider, their software can handle all kinds of requirements in LBS, Spatial Statistics, Data mining with GIS, Market Research with GIS, Geodatabases and likewise. 2. Pros in Information Technology world are primarily ArcPy, GIS consulting solutions for IT companies, main competitors Hexgon, General electric and others like IDRSI, ERDAS, SICAD, Transcad, Open gis platforms like Quantum GIS are weak and not customer specific. 3. Return on Investment, ROI from ArcGIS, ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcToolbox, ArcLogistics and solutions is good. Customization is excellent, their data models and work is exemplary in GIS world. 4. Licensing for Govt, Utilities, others is pricy as one would expect, but what can one do, customer support is good. Licensing is a major con. 5. GIS from ESRI-America is the dream for the Geographers, Engineers and other geospatial professionals to work with. ESRI internships all around the world. Also, it is used by Planners, Urban etc.

Cons:

Major Con: 1. ESRI is offering startups a free licensing for using it for GIS startups for one year. not enough. 2. Major con is license and training cost for young graduates around the world.

Exson
Exson
Director de Linea de Procesos OBPP in Venezuela

Tool for the planning, execution, and monitoring of actions with criteria on the territory.

Comments: Is a program that has been very useful for the administration and planning of geographical and spatial problems in the process of georeferencing the projects financed in the 8 years of development of the organization. georeferencing the territory of each project helps us make decisions adjusted to the dynamics of the territory. each of the actions that the organization applies uses arcgis to approach the territory.

Pros:

I like it because it helps me to develop the planning activities of the approach of the territory I require for the fulfillment of my work functions. ArcGIS helps me to visualize, manage, edit, calculate, analyze entities and georeferenced attributes of the financed projects of a productive nature in my work. Another aspect that I like about ArcGis is the use of the ArcCatalog, which allows to search and make effective operations, facilitating the link with Servers of databases, GIS Servers, database, WMS servers, and Internet and intranet connection. I find it easy to use, it has an excellent interface and multiple geoprocessing tools. I like the presentation of the cartography.

Cons:

I do not like it to be a software with high costs. On the other hand, it requires a computer with a very high installed capacity to execute the tools in an easy way. In the area of authematic cartography, I believe that the options to work with greater ease should be strengthened with graphics to represent the variables of the maps. I am worried that the program with the updates demands greater requirements of the computer where it is installed, so that all the tools work optimally, which can generate incomplimiento of the work delay before the delay of the run of the information. the fact that it requires constant investments to enhance computers requires that the company must continually invest resources, being in some cases impossible, as it can harm the performance of the organization.

Jacob
Director of Operations in US
Higher Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Online Map User

Comments: ArcGIS is really the only product that competes well in the outdoor map market for large amounts of data. There are some improvements we would like to see, but for a company that large, this might be unreasonable. You kind of get what you get, since they are the only show in town.

Pros:

ESRI is the big dog when it comes to digital maps. We use these a lot to map our facilities and specifically our underground utilities. This is the best product on the market. The only competitor might be AutoDesk, but even that doesn't compete. It is a very functional product and can contain all the information we need.

Cons:

Sometimes when you load some of the basemap images that software can really slow down. Also the zoom function for the online database interaction can be a little glitchy at times. A lot of these can be fixed by changing some of the detail settings, but that can take some digging to find. The company is so big, that if you have a question; you are not likely to get ahold of anyone. You are better off to look up videos on youtube or try posting questions on forums.

Civil Engineering, 2–10 Employees

ArcGIS, Industry Leader GIS Software

Comments: I have used ArcGIS most of my life, from my study time at university to my work in the academic sector. One can't run away from the fact ArcGIS offers the most complete and advanced tools that one can ever find in any GIS software and for that, no other software can compete with it.

Pros:

ArcGIS is by far the industry leader when it comes to the world of GIS and offers an extensive array of functionalities and tools that no other GIS software can offer.

Cons:

It is proprietary and quite costly to get a licence. It is least likely to be used by small to medium companies. Only government institutions and universities that can afford the huge licencing costs.

Andre
Andre
Contracting Officer in US
Government Administration, 10,000+ Employees

The Photoshop of Geospacial Data

Comments: ArcGIS (Global Information System) is a program I would highly recommend anyone to at least dabble with. It's 100% integrated with Google Maps and Google Earth. You can measure distance in real time, depth, the rise and fall of elevations. My experience with this program was nothing but exceptional! It greatly aided in my day-to-day tasks working for the Department of the Interior and the live customer service was a huge plus!

Pros:

As the title suggests, this program is essential for anyone dealing with...well essentially anything related to land. As an employee of the Bureau of Land Management, this program was the backbone of plotting land boundaries, identifying leaps and bounds, mapping oil company property and even had the ability to provide three-dimensional down hole drilling perforations and depth intervals!

Cons:

This program is not for the faint of heart. It does require a myriad of training modules to complete before you can start to see its full value. However, take heart as the modules are straight forward and step-by-step.

Manisha
Criminal Intelligence Officer in US
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

ARCGIS for intelligence use

Comments: Overall experience with ArcGIS is that it is effective for government agencies and allows you to submit intelligent reports that provide timely and up to date information for superiors that allow for fast action to be taken within the realm of policing.

Pros:

What I liked most about this software was the ability to pin point geo crime hot spots. This feature allows you to input data points such as where previous crimes have occurred using x and y coordinates and will provide you with a hot spot location that allows you to see within what kilometre/mile radius these events are occurring in. Another benefit is the predictability feature that tells you where a crime might occur next and within what radius.

Cons:

Least liked thing about the software is if you make one mistake in entering your data for your x and y coordinates it will fail to output any information, I wish this process was easier such as on google my maps application.

Rob
Rob
Senior Consultant in Australia

ArcGIS

Comments: I use this software everyday for all of my spatial analysis needs.

Pros:

I like the power this software provides for data and spatial analysis. The latest versions include the most popular data analysis python libraries.

Cons:

The cost of this software is prohibitive for many organisations. There are free open source alternatives (e.g. QGIS) which offer many of the same features which may be more attractive to small organisations.

Government Administration, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Powerful Feographical Mapping and Integration tool

Comments: We created a lot of Spatial files in different formats for analysing the count data (Demographic data) for economic analysis, Housing, Unemployment benefits and many more. The spatial files were used to create State Map with different counties and congressional districts for analysis that are used in Tableau and Power BI be

Pros:

The biggest asset of this software is that we can create the custom territory maps with different layers of the data for perfect analysis. We can create multiple layers of the maps using different geographical coordinates and has the ability to save the images in different formations (.shp files, Topjson, SVG..). It integrates well with Power BI and Tableau tools.

Cons:

The license of the software is very expensive. The interface of the software is very difficult for users who are using for the first time. It is a Computer RAM intensive software (You need to have more powerful machines)

Raju
Assistant Professor in India
Education Management, 501–1,000 Employees

ArcGIS: Advantages and Limitations

Comments: ArcGIS is a powerful and comprehensive GIS software that can handle various types of data and analysis. However, it may not be suitable for everyone due to its high cost, steep learning curve, and hardware requirements.

Pros:

It is a great tool for GIS. Some advantages are like-1. Comprehensive and versatile GIS software that can handle various types of data and analysis.2. Provides a wide range of tools and features for mapping, geocoding, spatial analysis, and data visualization.3. Offers various extensions and plugins for specialized workflows and functions.4. Supports interoperability with other GIS and data formats, making it easier to integrate with other systems.5. Offers robust online and mobile capabilities for sharing and collaborating on geospatial data.

Cons:

Expensive and may require a significant investment for licensing and training. Steep learning curve for beginners, especially those with limited GIS experience

Andrea Margarita
Professor in Colombia
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 501–1,000 Employees

A key and necessary tool if you handle spatial data

Comments: The most useful tool for my work is the network analyst. I do research in transportation and the options of VRP or Facility Location have made things easier for me. Another feature to highlight is that you can use python to customize some features

Pros:

Spatial data management is very broad, you can manipulate, analyze, calculate or create information. It has numerous tools that you can use either in the database or directly in the shapefile. Esri has an active community so it is easy to find solutions, especially in the first steps with the program. It also offers courses and depending on your license they can be quite cheap or even free. You can create and export professional, clean and attractive maps, perfect for publications. In terms of spatial info processing, you can do anything you need. With ArcGIS, you only need to search a little.

Cons:

ArcGIS is a very broad and complete program, although it seems like an advantage, sometimes it becomes difficult to handle all its powerful functionalities. Even when you have basic knowledge of GIS, you should always be consulting forums, tutorials, and documentation, which takes time. But in the end, it's worth it. The biggest drawback is the price. There are a couple of programs with features very similar to ArcGIS that are open source. In fact, I have colleagues who have migrated to these programs because they don't have the money to buy the ArcGIS license. However, if your institution has the purchasing power, it will be a great choice.

Higher Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Powerful and Endless Capabilities

Comments: I recommend ArcGIS for field biologists. This is a powerful software for collecting data in the field even without service. Create customized data forms with upload to Collector and sync with your phone. Drop the clipboard and endless hours of data entry. When you are done collecting in the field sync back, edit, and export your data to excel if desired.

Pros:

ArcGIS is a very powerful software with a preset of tools. It does take some training and playing around to learn the setup and how the tools work. I love that the capabilities is endless. Remember simpler the better. If you can't do something with one of their tools you can often find commands online or write your own script.

Cons:

There is a lack of function when you have media attachments to a set of data/table. For example, if you have a set of points with photo attachments there was no way to export the photos for File Manager with custom name or association to the points. It should at least be titles by the Object ID # instead it was a random name given by the initial phone. You also cannot export multiples photos. But the good New is I was able to write a script to make it all work for me.

Rajeeb
Rajeeb
Electrical Engineer in Qatar
Construction, 51–200 Employees

Best Software for Project As-built updating and Viewing the Record data

Comments: The software is really helping my team to updating the as built data out infrastructure project.

Pros:

The software is really helpful for my team to update the as built data to the existing utilizes. The software is very helpful in tracing a and locating the route of utility structures form the pre recoded data available. The software is helping to import and export Geodata very easily. It is possible to view all attributes of the recorded utilities . If a multiple utility is available in location it is possible to hide one and view the other one which we require.

Cons:

The Importing of data is a little bit complex

Juan
Especialista de Sistemas SharePoint in Venezuela
, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Participate in a software development project with the use of arcgis

Comments: For a client, an application was developed that allowed the use of the map to point customers and with this information it could be analyzed and be able to make strategic decisions, through the maps you can know quantities of specific customers in a certain area, if they are clients. that have the same characteristics, typify them by themes, etc.

Pros:

Arcgis is a very powerful mapping tool, through it we can create an entire infrastructure for the management of maps, pointing objects within them, manipulate and / or customize them, you can perform data analysis of the present information in the maps. If you want to go further and create an application that feeds or uses the map, it is possible to do this through the SDK, with which you can manipulate the information and process the data for its use, for example dotting clients, dotting oil wells, etc, any object that is useful for the end user, There is an online version, which presents several benefits for the creation of maps as well as sharing the same.

Cons:

The version that is installed on the servers requires an infrastructure that is robust and large enough to support the processing of the same. It requires acquiring some technical skills to be able to administer the platform

Christa
Graduate Researcher in Kenya
Higher Education, Self Employed

ArcGIS Review

Comments: Amazing Software!

Pros:

ArcGIS is the to-go software for all your mapping needs. I have run geoprocessing projects using ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Online, and the latest ArcGIS Pro. There are various unique features you can use ArcGIS to get the best results possible for your project. These include data collection, data management, remote sensing, geocoding, spatial analysis, spatial statistics, mapping, visualization in 3D, and cartographical work, to name but a few. It's super friendly for both beginners and pros.

Cons:

Even though the software is not open source and may not be affordable to an individual, you could acquire its license through organizational affiliation and enjoy its excellent capabilities.

LEWIS
LEWIS
urban planner in Kenya
Architecture & Planning, 10,000+ Employees

Best tool for planners

Comments: Efficient and reliable

Pros:

The fact that planners can use it to do variety of analysis including transportational analysis,geographical analysis,economic analysis,built form analysis among many others with the software makes it the most convinient tool in possession of urban planners and designers

Cons:

The complexity of the software especially for newbies makes it a little challenging but with various tutorials installed in the software it enables them to catch up and be able to utilize the software.