Filter by:

• Overall

About Appia

Web construction management application for a local agency's cost estimation, bidding and construction management needs.

Learn more about Appia

Adam F.
Deputy Engineer
Civil Engineering, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/11/07

"Appia has simplified and streamlined how we manage large construction projects"

Comments: The software has helped us to control change order costs, allowed us to become more efficient in our construction inspections, and streamlined our invoice review process.

Pros: This software tracks all of the pay items on my construction contract in real time, allowing me to know exactly how much of any item has been placed on the project, where it is located on the project, who inspected the components of that item, which materials were incorporated in that item, and tells me how much I owe the contractor at any given point in time. The software integrates my bid results, manages my contract quantities, creates and incorporates change orders and invoices. The ability to run reports on exactly what work has been done on a monthly basis has allowed me to better control the invoices that I receive from the contractor.

Cons: As the software is very robust, there is a learning curve to mastering how the individual items, materials, and materials approvals interact.

• Reviewed on 2017/11/07
Don H.
Assistant Director
  • Reviewed on 2012/07/23

"Use of APPIA for Public Works' Capitol Projects"

Comments: I highly recommend the use of APPIA.

Pros: Use of APPIA for bidding allows bidders to change their bids litterally up to the last minute from their office. Bids are transmitted electronically and all math is performed by APPIA. APPIA analyses the bids and shows the amount/percentage each bid item is above/below the estimate or the low bid in a matter of seconds. Also, any bid documents that are required are highlighted and the bid won't be accepted until all did doc's are loaded. The daily logs that are required by the inspectors must list any of the bid items that were constructed that day and the daily has to be approved by a specified manager. At the end of the month, APPIA scans the approved dailies for that month and provides a basis of invoice, which has greatly reduced haggle time with Contractors; and provided very good information on many people were working that day, what machines were used, etc for time delay calculations, etc. We also use it for estimating from our own data and the local FDOT District offices.

Cons: Once bid tab numbers have been used on a project, all projects must use those same numbers for historical purposes. This is an unforeseen constraint and we are attempting to solidify out bid tab. If an inspector hasn't forwarded his dail log for approval, there is no way to approve it in his absence for billing purposes. Also, we fitted our inspectors with laptops to use in their pick-ups so that the dailies could be filled out in the field, rather than transcribed later from notes. So there were additional, rather minor, costs involved. In my opinion, these are relatively small items that don't in any way over shadow what this application has done for us.

Nicole K.
Inspector
Civil Engineering, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/07/27

"This software is just okay. It has the basics, but does not get too intricate. "

Comments: If you're needing something simple just to run Estimates and paste dailies, this software works just fine. If you want something more intricate, I would not recommend it.

Pros: I like that Appia is easy and straight forward to use. It is clear where everything goes and there's not much room for error.

Cons: This app is very limited. You can't easily see where each item is with a single click. You have to go searching or pay for the item or run an estimate to know if you're over or under plan quantity. there's not a place to keep material records and I wish there was a summary page in general where you can see overall stats without having to go through specific pages.

• Reviewed on 2018/07/27
Stefan B.
Engineer
  • Reviewed on 2012/07/23

"Outstanding Web Based Project Management & eBidder"

Comments: Overall, this product is an easy to learn, web-based tool that can handle planning, bidding, and construction of transportation and other civil projects.

Pros: -Quick and easy line item takeoff for cost estimation.
-Tons of features once the project enters construction including daily inspection logs, change orders, attachments, payments, calendar based item postings, etc.
-Handles alternative bids excellently, with the capability of looking at several possibilities and choosing the ones that fit your budget based on actual bids.
-Customer support couldnt be better.
-Wide array of reports to present the database of information.
-Several different security roles.

Cons: -Some fields are protected. (This probably is for the best though so you don't change something that you shouldn't, such as a pay app that has already been processed.) Typically a quick call to support resolves the issue.
-Not meant for sharing with external stakeholders.

Nick T.
Construction Manager
  • Reviewed on 2012/07/23

"Outstanding Software & Customer Support"

Comments: I highly recommend this software to anyone in the construction management field. The software and customer support are top notch.

Pros: I have been using this software on a $20 million roadway project for the past year and a half. Thus far, the software has been outstanding. It is very easy use and to navigate. JB Peters and the rest of the customer support team are phenomenal. Every time I call or email with a question or problem, they either have the answer or get back with me promptly. They are delightful to talk to on the phone not like most customer support representatives. They are concerned with our issues and provide solutions in a timely manner. They even make changes to their software based off our recommendations.

Cons: I wish the user s manual was more comprehensive. Their customer support makes up for it. A more comprehensive user s manual would probably mean fewer calls from me.

Gregory F.
Manager, Construction Services

"C&S Engineers, Inc."

Comments: Provides a flexible solution to construction administration and inspection. The ease of which staff can adapt makes it the right tool for us.

Pros: The program is Web-based allowing for quick access anywhere
The ease that information can be input
The technical support

Cons: There really isnt any