• Overall
    4,2 /5
    3,8 /5
    3,9 /5

About Marketo Engage

Powerful, easy to use marketing automation software that helps generate qualified leads and translate marketing spending into revenue.

Learn more about Marketo Engage

Edward U.
Computer Software
  • Reviewed on 2015/11/12

"Pros and Cons"

Pros: Once optimized, Marketo is good for rapid-fire content creation (emails, landing pages, and campaigns) that is tailored and optimized for digital marketing experiences. It can collect a broad range of data out-of-the-box which provides significant advantages compared to competitors.

Cons: Marketo's ability to scale, technically, can be a limiting factor at times. The major dependencies are lead database size, web traffic volume, and integration with the CRM. At the point of 750k+ leads, Marketo becomes slow to work with. At the point of 10k page visits/day, queues start to pop up on logging web activity. When lots of leads are begin updated in Marketo and through the CRM, the back-and-forth usage of API calls (by which Marketo communicates with CRMs) starts to max out, and you have to really optimize the setup in order to have timely communication between Marketo and the CRM.

• Reviewed on 2015/11/12
Emanuela C.
  • Reviewed on 2017/08/11

"My experience with Marketo"

Comments: We are using Marketo across the whole organization to improve and automate our marketing activities. We are using it at corporate level as well as in each operation (US, UK, DACH, France, Italy, APAC, etc). We improved ability to attract new leads and the engagement of visitors on our website.

Pros: - Workflow: the logic behind the workflows allows to automate manual activities
- Lead gen: we improved the engagement of the visitors on our website and we manage the entire lead generation process on Marketo integrated with our CRM.
- Programs: it is easy to create and manage emailing and nurture programs with the ability to set rules when the email should be sent.
- Forms: we are using Marketo forms and we embedded them on our website.

Cons: - Integration with Dynamics: after 3 years we still have some issues on the integration with MS Dynamics... the 2 systems are not well integrated.
- Landing pages: it is missing a validation workflow on the thank you pages (to be sure that those who will access the thank you page have successfully filled-out the form included in the landing page).

• Reviewed on 2017/08/11
Director of Growth Marketing
Consumer Electronics, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/09/20

"Marketo - great marketing automation for larger marketing teams."

Comments: When going through the demos & getting pricing from the Sales team make sure to fully understand their pricing. They've changed their pricing model in the past 18 months to be more a la carte so some features you may really like are additional costs. Depending on the size of your database this can start to really add up.
Marketo is not suitable for small marketing teams as it requires a ton of set up time & ongoing work to fully leverage its capabilities.

Pros: Easy to track different engagement programs at every stage across multiple steps.
Robust criteria for building lead nurturing.
Like their lead scoring feature - great way to segment leads based on how they interact with you.
Their real-time personalization feature is impressive. Great feature once it's configured correctly.

Cons: The email builder is pretty basic.
Leveraging the full capabilities requires a full-time internal resource.
Steep learning curve. We needed to invest in a Marketo specialist to help with integration.
Marketo is super expensive & that's before taking the extra cost of hiring a Marketo Specialist to help with implementation.

• Reviewed on 2018/09/20
Amrit P.
salesforce administrator
  • Reviewed on 2019/05/04

"marketo user and admin review"

Comments: works extremely well for the business case we have. integration with salesforce helps us immensely in tracking key business clients and their purchase journey.

Pros: best email marketing software in the market. easy to setup lead scoring. integration with salesforce works really well.

Cons: some of the functionality is still old school. needs to upgrade the drag and drop interface to reflect modern software design principals.

• Reviewed on 2019/05/04
Program Marketing Specialist
  • Reviewed on 2018/07/11

"A powerful tool"

Pros: Marketo has an unbelievable amount of functionality that allows us to manage our leads and easily automate and track success of all our marketing campaigns. We have been able to add more levels of tracking and logic to our campaigns than we were able to do with our previous marketing automation tool. There is probably so much that I haven't yet discovered but am looking forward to finding out as I continue to use the tool more. The customer support and user support portal have been very helpful for us in finding solutions to our challenges, as there is so much functionality and sometimes so many ways to do 1 task that it's helpful to get advice on which is the best way to do it. I'd highly recommend Marketo!

Cons: Because there is so much functionality (atleast compared to the automation tool we used to use), there was a steep learning curve for our team but the customer support was really helpful in getting us over this curve.

• Reviewed on 2018/07/11
Sara J.
Management Consulting, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2017/07/11

"Streamlining - A targeted, process oriented approach for multi-channel marketing automation"

Comments: It's as much a powerful resource for sales as it is for marketing in an integrative approach so I'd involve key stakeholders from sales in evaluating. The online demos are worth reviewing.

Pros: In today's fast paced, multi-channel environment where the abundance of information people receive in any given day exceeds the ability to process it all, I can't imagine running any kind of digital business without marketing automation. Marketo's offering is intuitive, integrates well with another cloud-based email, CRM, social, etc and has inherent capabilities to leverage best processes throughout an entire marketing/ sales lifecycle. I have only demo'd the product, used as a user, and been trained on, but have evaluated for a start-up where I would consider it essential for those embarking on digital campaigns to drive multi-channel sales.

Cons: I have not been involved in a full implementation, roll-out, and integration as a purchaser (only in business development), so I can't speak to that or any long term outcomes from initiatives, although the value is quite clear.

• Reviewed on 2017/07/11
Maria lenin L.
Business Development Executive
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/05

"Higher Sales Conversion with Marketo"

Pros: When we started using Marketo for our Marketing Automation, there was an increase of opportunities with our leads. We were able to trim down and focus on the right market and were able to convert leads to sales by 10% on the first month we used Marketo. It is easy to use and templates are good. We receive daily update and marketing news on the latest trend and tools for marketing. Digital marketing is new and Marketo is complete with the right tools and guide on how to effectively tap your market and generate leads through social media.

Cons: Everything in Marketo is amazing. They have tips and guides for their products. Though ofcourse the price is costly compared to other email automation or newsletter creation that can be accessed or used at no cost. Free trial would be something i should also recommend for Marketo.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/05
Dan P.
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Reviewed on 2015/11/02

"Helping us scale up our marketing"

Pros: With an easy to use interface, and a great onboarding program, we were able to get up and running with Marketo pretty quickly. It only took about 6 weeks before we were ready to run our first campaign, which completely changed how we followed up with event leads. It has a great integration with Salesforce. Setting up web forms, landing pages, nurturing streams, and managing data is all really easy. Marketo's community and resources are also a huge plus.

Cons: We only have the Spark package, so there's a lot to be desired with analytics and some of the other features we're missing out on.

• Reviewed on 2015/11/02
Jana L.
  • Reviewed on 2011/08/16

Comments: I can't express how much easier Marketo makes my life. I am the events manager at my company, and I use Marketo's lead management functionality to send out my invitations, set up my registration pages and manage my attendee lists. Marketo was great before - but now, with the new Programs & Events release, it is AMAZING! We have a small marketing department, so I am responsible for every aspect of an event, from start to finish and beyond with our follow-up program. From roadshows, trade shows, and dinners to parties, dinners, and meet-up groups - you name it, I handle it though Marketo. I love being able to tie all my assets together under an event, and being able to clone an entire event saves time and allows me to focus on other aspects of the event. It also helps me easily track my cost-per-lead and figure out which events are driving the most leads and helping us close the most deals. With 15 different events planned over the next four months, in cities all across the world, I am going to be on the road a ton. It's key for me to be able to set everything up in advance and know that it will just GO when it needs to. Furthermore, being able to check on it from anywhere in the world with the touch of a button brings me huge peace of mind. After the event, our programs manager can funnel our leads through our nurturing program until they are ready to be engaged. Our sales team loves this because they can focus on working with an opportunity, not looking for one. I can't rave enough about their support. The community helps me solve so many different "How do I do this?" questions. When I have best practice questions, I can reach out to other Marketo users for guidance. On the rare occasions we have had to contact support for a technical issue, they get back to us ASAP - even for small concerns. In summary, Marketo is the best!

• Reviewed on 2011/08/16
Bilguun G.
  • Reviewed on 2017/06/08

"Marketo is recommended for lead generation"

Comments: Improved my lead nurturing activities. I no longer use spreadsheets to track leads. Marketo nicely logs all activities.

Pros: Marketo is a complex lead generation software but if configured correctly it can do magic and automate your marketing like no other. Since using Marketo we experienced increase in sales revenues and 50% increase in lead conversion. Marketo also nicely integrates with Salesforce and you can see where your leads are in their lifecycle.

Cons: There is a learning curve to it. Also getting certified in Marketo has more complex than before. Lead nurturing, streams, and center of excellence can be hard to set up.

• Reviewed on 2017/06/08
Olivia W.
Sales Development Representative
Internet, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2016/11/16

"Not beautiful, but necessary"

Comments: I used Marketo as a lead generation manager at the first startup (15 person company) I worked at. I was the primary tool evaluator, and chose it over Pardot and Hubspot, because our focus was on outbound emailing (Hubspot is not) and we needed a high level of customizability/flexibility (2 years ago I found that Pardot was not flexible enough). Marketo has its own language and way of doing things. It really required a full training to get up and running, but once I did that I found it straightforward to use. The interface is clunky and not beautiful, but the functionality is really high. The highest risk with using Marketo is not keeping careful track of potentially conflicting programs. Staying organized and consistent is REALLY important. Overall, I like it and everything it could do, but similar to other "older" SaaS tools, I really wish they would overhaul their interface/UX to make it more streamlined and modern.

Pros: Super flexible in what you can accomplish

Cons: Clunky, un-intuitive

• Reviewed on 2016/11/16
Christian M.
Specialist, Revenue Marketing Automation
  • Reviewed on 2017/10/03

"Marketo is the best Marketing Automation tool that I have use"

Pros: -Workspaces (Multi domain)
-Campaign Cloning between workspaces
-Easy to use (once you are use to it)
-Fast to create stuff from the scratch
-Able to clone pretty much anything

Cons: -Price
-The certifications are a "joke" you are certified for 1 year then retake it and its the exact same test, been doing this for 3 years, even if the platform is changing they keep asking the same
-Can be a lot to start with

• Reviewed on 2017/10/03
Grace B.
Marketing Technology Specialist
Management Consulting, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/12/20

"One of the best in the market."

Comments: I've used Pardot, Hubspot and Marketo - it's by far my top of the three.

Pros: Scalability, flexibility. Unlike many other platforms, Marketo truly can scale at a high pace when built out well. And if you're a confident user, it doesn't hide the complicated features behind a wall of impossible to breach "user friendly" interface - you can get into the weeds and play around and really customise things.

Cons: It's not the simplest, and can be quite tricky for newer/more novice users. But this can be overcome quickly with training.

• Reviewed on 2017/12/20
Justin R.
  • Reviewed on 2018/02/09

"This software has helped us identify our highest quality leads much more efficiently."

Comments: Lead scoring is second to none. Helps us identify top quality leads based on actions, not assumptions.

Pros: Marketo's scoring system has helped our sales team increase their close rate by 30% by helping them focus on top quality leads. Targeting our ideal leads used to be a headache, now it's fun and exciting. I really can't say enough about this technology.

Cons: You have to learn how to score your lead acquisition funnels and what actions are important, but you will learn as you go and they have great support to help you along the way.

• Reviewed on 2018/02/09
Edwin C.
Lead Generation specialist
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/29

"Marketo review"

Pros: I like the web based access and it is intuitive and easy to customize depending on your report needs or just preference

Cons: Sluggish when it comes to speed at times and a bit pricey so, limited users/slots can only be given by my company to people they think is deserving to use the software. No built in CRM as well.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/29
Doug N.
  • Reviewed on 2013/07/19

Comments: Marketo might be a very powerful software once installed and running, but if you plan on using Marketo without Marketo Landing Pages then you better have someone experienced in Web Development on call, because chances are you are going to need them. Depending on your ability to edit JavaScript and your understanding of the hierarchy of your site and the site structure, you might be able to accomplish this without any assistance. Unfortunately Marketo Support is not very helpful in this types of situations, since they do not Support people using Marketo Forms on non Marketo pages (probably something that should be better explained during the Sales process); and they will suggest hiring a Web Developer (which is the most frustrating) or looking at the User Community. The User Community is great if the problem you have is something someone else has experienced, and they decided to post their experience within the User Community. I am sure over time having a User Community will actually be a strength of Marketo, but can you imagine the early days when there was no other posts? In a few years, I see the User Community being a great asset and something very helpful to users - especially younger ones who are accustomed to receiving immediate answers to their questions by simply clicking Search or Submit. Honestly, if I do not have to call support I never would. Finding an answer online is great because you not only find what your looking for but hopefully people have also posted in comments their individual experiences/road blocks/challenges/etc. Time will tell.

• Reviewed on 2013/07/19
Emanuela C.
Computer Software
  • Reviewed on 2016/08/09

"My experience with Marketo"

Pros: - Forms: we are using Marketo forms and we embedded them on our website.
- Lead gen: it is easier to engage visitors on our website and manage the entire lead generation process.
- Programs: it is easy to create and manage programs.

Cons: - Support: sometimes we had some issues with getting quick replies from support.
- WebEx integration: it is not possible to integrate WebEx webinars with a Marketo Form integrated on an external website (to take advantage of this integration it is required to use a Marketo Landing page).

• Reviewed on 2016/08/09
Zach D.
AE
  • Reviewed on 2018/03/08

"Our company LOVES Marketo. It touches almost everything we do."

Comments: Marketing and Sales Alignment, Marketing Activity Automation, Campaign Tracking, Email Cadencing... and more

Pros: The versatility - we use it for lead scoring, nurture campaigns, landing page and performance tracking, sales alerts, and so much more.

Cons: Again - because it's such an integral part of our business there's really not much I don't like. Perhaps it could be slightly more intuitive right off the bat, but even then, with a little training, it's pretty straightforward.

• Reviewed on 2018/03/08
Digital marketing specialist
Semiconductors, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/03

"Marketo is a beast"

Comments: It’s been really hard to learn everything but I’m starting to feel a little more confident.

Pros: Marketo has the ability to do so many things which is a pro and con. It takes a while to get the hang of things but Marketo can really make this happen for your company.

Cons: I wish Marketo was more visual. It’s sometimes hard to get from start to finish on a project without realizing how you May be affecting other campaigns and lead funnels.

• Reviewed on 2020/01/03
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/15

"Needs a facelift"

Comments: Marketo has been frustrating to use after using other marketing automation tools on the market.

Pros: Marketo is a very powerful marketing automation tool that can serve many different business problems.

Cons: The software is just plain hard to use and takes a lot of ramp-up time in order to be successful, especially as compared to other marketing automation tools on the market today.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/15
Robyn S.
Marketing Automation Manager
  • Reviewed on 2016/12/06

"Marketo Difficulties"

Comments: I work with Marketo for most of my day. Recently, I have run into a few Marketo quirks that have made my job more difficult. One is that all triggers are used as "OR" instead of "AND". The other issue I have is the smart list and flow steps being on different servers, which has caused a major issue for me.

Pros: Responsive landing pages and emails

Cons: Lack of trigger logic

• Reviewed on 2016/12/06
Drew S.
Marketing Analyst
Management Consulting
    2,5 /5
  • Reviewed on 2015/10/29

"Easy-to-Use. Have some fun too!"

Pros: Easy to use! Marketo is a one-stop-shop for Marketing Automation, SEO, and RTP. Not only that - but their Marketo University gives users an opportunity to continue personal and professional growth. It's been great learning, growing, and having fun with Marketo.

Cons: When speaking with Marketo regarding upgrading our current subscription and adding different Marketo services, I felt like I was buying a car from a used car dealership. The prices were always "buy now" prices, but changed based on my answers. Trying to create a new 2016 budget with an upgrade price that changes almost daily is annoying!

• Reviewed on 2015/10/29
Shaun H.
Automation Strategy
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/19

"Marketing with Marketo"

Pros: For guys in demand gen, Marketo is the tool you need. Whether you're creating gated landing pages, or syncing anything to your CRM system and showing those lead activity's, you can easily create all of these campaigns within Marketo to generate MQL and SQls.

Cons: I just think the UI needs an update. It's tough to find things at times even with folders. Essentially the search function is lacking. I also wish there was a visual visio-like workflow creator.

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/19
Sanjeev T.
Recruiter
  • Reviewed on 2017/12/19

"A clear leader in data management"

Pros: From comparing to other MAPs, Marketo really nails the scalability aspect of marketing programs by collecting a group of assets (landing page, form, email, smart campaigns for triggers) and allowing users to clone these into entirely new programs which maintain the same process connections for quick rollout.

Cons: I would like to see the same modular aspect applied to Landing Page templates as with the newer modular email templates

• Reviewed on 2017/12/19
Mike F.
VP
  • Reviewed on 2016/11/08

"Marketo - Solid Solution"

Comments: Marketo is a very solid solution for automating your marketing mix, roadmaping your consumer solutions funnel, and grooming your leads for conversion. It fully integrates with a wide majority of CRM systems and back office ERPs so that you can clearly analyze your ROI per point of sale. This is a professional marketing automation solution that can help deliver exceptional campaigns for your organization to sell into. The solution has a ton of fuctionality and can hook into just about anything. The downside of this solution that I don't feel that it is its probably more of an "enterprise" solution versus a "start up solution". Sure start ups could use it, but it may be a little too robust if people don't know what they are doing. Overall its great and has a ton of features and their team is solid. The problem I have with it is the overall cost of entry. Its a little pricy, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

Pros: Robust

Cons: Price

• Reviewed on 2016/11/08