• Overall
    4,3 /5

About Basecamp

Trusted by millions, Basecamp puts everything you need to get work done in one place.

Learn more about Basecamp

Showing 12 428 reviews

Tacho T.
Driving instructor
E-Learning, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/03

"Very good solution for task management and project management"

Comments: Basecamp allows me to have all my tasks and team communication in one place. Without the need to spend extra money for different tools .

Pros: As a driving instructor I have a need to record all my student and classes. Basecamp give me the opportunity to follow up all active tasks and deadlines.

Cons: It is a little bit tricky for students to work easy with the tool when day meet it for the first time.

• Reviewed on 2020/10/03
Nichole P.
Founder + CEO
Apparel & Fashion, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/13

"The best all in one HQ for remote teams"

Comments: Overall, I love the way it feels like a virtual headquarters for your company where employees can chat, stay up to date with projects, and post all related docs and files, and integrate schedules, but in order to get the best experience with running an office remotely there is such limitation and little customization available. This is a great start, but you still need to use other tools to get a comprehensive set of tools to run and operate your business.

Pros: I love the fact that basecamp feels like a virtual office. The dashboard looks like virtual rooms that one can enter depending on the department you want to access. Basecamp has many features to make it feel like you're at the office like the different departments with access to files, chat, project management , to-do's, groups, and a link to schedule your time and tasks and keep track of meetings.

Cons: There is very little customization that can be done besides adding a company logo, and setting up your departments, groups and selecting which features to incorporate into the department tiles. I would love to be able to custom colorize the look and feel to make it more unique and visual, but there are limitations. Each tile that can be used for departments or projects, also have very little room for customization and you're not able to create any unique features besides your standard to dos, schedule, chat, and files.

• Reviewed on 2020/10/13
Senior Producer
Computer Games
  • Reviewed on 2018/07/16

"Nearly great but not quite"

Comments: We felt that the "all in one" nature of the software was great, but beyond our initial tests we found it lacking in adaptability to fitting into the way WE work, (it wants you to wholly adopt their approach and we felt that there was an internal resistance to that development style) - therefore we abandoned the platform and looked for alternatives.

Pros: For years we have been looking for an all in one project and task management system to use with our business. And BaseCamp is so nearly it, it has most of the features you'd expect but presents them in a different way to most other task tracking systems. On the positive side, it's easy to use, friendly to the eye and everything is where it should be. It has some nifty features that you can easily become over-reliant on that aren't present in other management software tools. One recent addition was the Hill Chart where you plot a task on an "planning hill" - in a really visual way. This is totally unique and works well, helping you quickly identify the progress of any given task. As a project manager, this is a very useful way of seeing where everything currently "is at"

Cons: Onto the Cons: For us, we found that the software was too verbose in its approach, it has a work log system where each user is expected to fill in a diary of what they have done today - sure, this can be switched off in the options, but the regularity of BaseCamp e-mailing you is far too high as a default. By default you're constantly managing e-mails from the system (which is precisely what is is meant to eliminate!) Once you disable these notifications, we felt that the software starts to lose its impact, our staff started to drift away from it over time and went back to other task tracking methods (such as trello) for different areas of the development. This caused us to reconsider the entire enterprise and look for alternatives, our team just couldn't seem to adopt the (very rigid) way that Basecamp wants you to work.

• Reviewed on 2018/07/16
Jonathan B.
Lead Engineer
Computer Software, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/08/31

"Great choice for team discussion, file sharing and basic task tracking"

Comments: Our overall experience has been great. We were using a custom-built tool for team communication, but ultimately decided that Basecamp just has more features and will save us a lot of cash in the long run versus building the tool ourselves. It's nice that there is a flat charge for the service, instead of charging by the user like some other services do. This saves us a considerable amount of money.

Pros: It was very easy to setup and get going. We just invited our team members in with each of their email addresses and it handled the rest. Our entire team found it easy to create their account or do a social login. We use it primarily as a message board and chat system on our team. I really like how the entire message board is searchable, which is useful for finding things later on. "Remember when we talked about XYZ", and you can just search for XYZ and it shows up quickly. The calendar and file sharing has also come in handy for simple things, though it's not as robust as using something like Google Calendar or Google Drive. Basecamp also has a useful API that we've used to pull some data out of their system and display it in our other systems. The mobile app works great. It's probably one of the best designed apps I've ever used, to be honest. It makes it easy to talk with the team while on-the-go.

Cons: I was hoping for some kind of wiki system to be included with Basecamp. You can kinda make up your own wiki using specific categories on the message board and file sharing, but it's not quite the same. A wiki would be really helpful for internal documentation.

• Reviewed on 2020/08/31
  • Reviewed on 2020/09/14

"Most effective PM software out there."

Comments: I love that they now have a free tier for bootstrappers with 1-3 clients or project that can scale up much in the way that MailChimp allows you to with email marketing. This is a huge plus to get more people started on the platform.

Pros: This is the most thoughtful project and team management software out there, hands down. Our team has replaced Slack and email project communication with one program. It is truly a different way of thinking about not only project management, but customer and team communication. Slack for us had become more of a distraction than a help. This solved that problem. This uses a bulletin board approach as opposed to an interruption approach like Slack. This type of PM requires trust and confidence in your team, which is rare in today's workforce.

Cons: This is not a con for our small company of less than ten people, but I could see the software not making sense to people who are used to the instant communication of an app like Slack. The pros could be the cons for some companies who are not ready to shift their thinking around project management, employee comms and distractions.

• Reviewed on 2020/09/14
David C.
Operations Manager
Education Management, 5 001-10 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/07/29

"Good tool for collaboration"

Comments: We needed a platform for collaboration around projects and tasks across organization boundaries. Basecamp allowed this and provide much better task management than Slack

Pros: Ease of use and out-of-box support for our collaboration processes.

Cons: Clunky integration with Dropbox and SharePoint.

Alex F.
Consumer Goods, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/21

"Great for general teams, most agencies"

Pros: The main challenge for entrepreneurs / agencies is getting their clients to actually use their communication / project management software. Basecamp nails this by making client/team member onboarding automatic.

Cons: Larger companies with custom workflows will find Basecamp limiting, but it's great for most small agencies.

• Reviewed on 2020/10/21
Aniket R.
Education Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/08/21

"Best Tool for Team Collaboration"

Pros: As COVID-19 has drastically increased the online work culture and our company was facing issues initially in task assigment, task completion track and online collaborations. So, We started using Basecamp and it just reduced a lot of work for us by it project management and Cloud storage facility and one of the main factor we love in this is it's EASY OF USE.

Cons: As a small startup, the main issue we are facing is pricing. Since, It has only one plan to choose and as a small startup we don't need a lot of users in it. So there should be a plan for small startup needs and requirements.

• Reviewed on 2020/08/21
Ux designer
Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/10

"Loved it when it was free"

Comments: When it was used for a small team to collaborate it was great. When I started using it to manage client communication and deliverables it frustrated both them and my team.

Pros: It was a great little tool when not many others were out there. It consolidated communication and project deliverables.

Cons: It didn’t really evolve. It was stagnant through the lifetime of buying it. Clients didn’t really see much value in it and often said they were frustrated by it.

• Reviewed on 2020/11/10
Marketer
  • Reviewed on 2020/07/29

"Basecamp's pricing $99/month flat for unlimited users and projects."

Pros: Basecamp's pricing $99/month flat for unlimited users and projects is it's best feature. And it's easy to use as well.

Cons: Doesn't have anything less than $99 pricing, so if you have less than 9 employees, it may be cheaper for you to just pay premium for trello or asana.

Curt C.
Founder & CEO
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/19

"Basecamp helps us streamline project/account management and increase our efficiency"

Comments: Overall, we're very happy here at my startup marketing agency, HypeLife Brands, with Basecamp...we've been using it for a VERY long time and haven't looked back or considered anything else really. I think the 37Signals team has done a great job with the product from the beginning.

Pros: The ability to manage a team, often in multiple locales, especially in the days of COVID now, much easier than any other alternative out there.

Cons: Sometimes a conversation for tasks becomes non-linear though Basecamp is setup in a linear fashion, so it can be a bit tricky to manage that without the ability to thread comments, but this is more of an advanced user need I think :-)

• Reviewed on 2020/11/19
Kim P.
Banking, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/25

"Fixed our team!"

Comments: This program solves our disorganization and order of operations issues we were having.

Pros: I think the most impactful part of the program is that now everything is in one place and everything is accountable for I'm bored. You no longer have to worry if you directed someone to do something and if they completed or not. This now helps to get everything organized and in order as if there was an employee they're performing all of the work.

Cons: I haven't done anything that we liked least about it yet play the but we do like the improvements because we had tried it a few years ago and it didn't work as well as it does now for our company.

• Reviewed on 2020/10/25
Tamara T.
Club Secretary
Public Relations & Communications, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/08/18

"Basecamp - Great for young people, not user friendly for older generations"

Comments: I had to give a presentation on Toastmaster's Pathways and navigating to and through Basecamp and I realized we are not utilizing a lot of the great features Basecamp offers. Again, a lot of the members I've spoken with (both local and international) all say the same thing, that it's confusing to navigate through, the look of the website changed and the headers are confusing. The word Basecamp didn't sit well with a lot of people, but after searching this on YouTube I figured out that Toastmaster's didn't do a good job of explaining what is Basecamp and what the purpose of Basecamp is. If they had chosen to use words or headers like, "Account" that would sound more familiar it would've helped with getting to know the layout. Also, finding materials is still a bit of a maze, but again, that's the organizations lack of set-up and not really Basecamp's fault. With Basecamp all of the learning materials that used to be in booklets were now transferred to the computer and had live video demonstrations, organized power points and links to more resources beyond what is written on the page; it definitely enhanced our learning but also overwhelmed us because there were almost too many resources available in every language you can think of in different parts of the site. Now that I know that Basecamp is a project management software I can help others learn about it and utilize it to the fullest extent.

Pros: I use this software for my Toastmaster's Club and it has a lot of great features that aren't being utilized because of the confusion of maneuvering through it. I can: leave feedback or ask for feedback from other members, track my progress via pie charts, access multimedia learning materials easily, store documents related to my project for historic record or for easy recall.

Cons: Toastmaster's is an world renown organization that has a very even mix of younger and older or retired members; the oldest member in my club is 92 years old. As of June this year, everyone was required to get a Pathways account and log into their Base Camp. I am one of the younger members (39 years old) and even I didn't find Basecamp to be clear cut or intuitive and was frustrated. It got so bad, that the area directors asked every club to nominate a Toastmaster's Pathways or Base Camp "Ambassador" that they can refer people to when they needed help. We had a virtual conference recently and there was an intro class on how to use Pathways/Base Camp and everyone was clearly confused and it didn't make sense to them. There were too many steps to get to the login pages and to get to the actual base camp. Also, the word base camp was not explained to everyone. I think we were looking for something like, "Account" which is equivalent to going to your base camp. I believe the roll out of this new website and way of tracking our progress was poor and has cause a lot of frustration, discouragement and even loss of membership for our older members.

• Reviewed on 2020/08/18
Terrance K.
COO
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/07/20

"Recommended - Use it daily"

Comments: We use Basecamp almost on a daily basis. It is fantastic for managing our team and different partners. Our operations side has also been thrilled with the lists that Basecamp provides. Makes it easy for managers to see what has been completed

Pros: Basecamp is well suited for project management. I've used Trello historically but it never had the same degree of functionality. I love the fact that I can have lists, easily collaborate with others and make it almost like a task force that I can assign to various people on our tea.m
It was easy enough to implement and also great if you need to hit the ground running since the learning curve is virtually non existant.

Cons: I use Basecamp 2 and the part I like least about the software is that within the cards itself, I can't @person to provide updates. I can assign various cards to specific people but can't call out specific individuals in those cards.

• Reviewed on 2020/07/20
Ryan W.
Marketing Director
Marketing & Advertising, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/04/11

"Basecamp allows me to track my team's progress easily and efficiently"

Comments: I've used Basecamp for my team for several years now. The communications solutions, file management services and archival features are all excellent. As an administrator and user, I highly recommend Basecamp for any organization with several ongoing and simultaneous projects.

Pros: Basecamp is a project management solution that allows me to stay on top of my team's projects with ease. Projects can be categorized and organized so that only members working on a particular project are exposed to the communications and back and forth. We use Basecamp as our primary solution because it is easy to implement and onboard, simple to use and has a robust set of features that are among the best in the industry for what we need.

Cons: My only complaint is that the different versions of Basecamp have different features. For example, the version we use does not allow for time tracking. While this is not necessary, as we don't bill out by the quarter hour, it would be a nice feature that would allow me to better understand how long certain tasks take my team members. If Basecamp had universal features across all versions, this would be a miracle solution.

• Reviewed on 2020/04/11
Kristen N.
Product Marketing Supervisor
  • Reviewed on 2020/03/31

"Basecamp Has Helped Us Organize the Chaos"

Comments: Our marketing team was the first to implement Basecamp, and, eventually, the benefits to project management were so evident that most of our company uses the platform—from R&D to technical support. The application is quite intuitive, requires very little training for use, and offers multiple ways to communicate: private messaging, group chat, and message boards. The integration Basecamp offers with Google is also seamless. Tip: Once your teams are established, setting communication expectations for each tool is a necessary step to achieving a high efficiency.

Pros: The integrations that Basecamp provides make communication for cross-departmental projects quick and effective. The integration we use the most is the support of Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Calendar. Within Google Drive, the folder system makes it often difficult to find documents, but Basecamp allows not only Google Docs and Google Sheets to be linked to, but conversations about that specific document to take place in one place. This makes it easy to hand off documents and files to another department, route items to our publication team, or to request feedback from partners. As an original user from Basecamp 1, there have been so many improvements to the second and third editions. Basecamp certainly does an excellent job listening to its users.

Cons: The only change in version 3 that I am disappointed with is the elimination of the built-in calendar. What used to be "Events" with an interactive project calendar became the "Schedule." The Events interactive project calendar functioned a lot like a Google Calendar, which allowed someone to see all touch points on the calendar itself. The "Schedule" is mostly a list of upcoming events. However, the benefits of the folder systems, the access to resources, and the task assignments outweighs this issue. Plus, if you are a new user to Basecamp 3, you won't even be aware that anything is missing.

• Reviewed on 2020/03/31
Clayton C.
Director of Operations
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/25

"Hands-down my favorite project management software"

Comments: I really love Basecamp. It is simple, powerful, and gets out of your way so you can get work done. It has replaced about three other apps (including Slack) for our team. In Basecamp communication is now centered on getting things done and improving our products versus just chatting. There is an ideology to understand when using Basecamp but if you can adopt that you will be more productive and less stressed about getting work done.

Pros: Very affordable especially considering how many other solutions it replaces. Very clean minimal interface that gets out of your way and lets you get work done. Very fast and reliable. The mobile app is fantastic as well.

Cons: There is a little bit of a learning curve with the single page interface but that is be design.

• Reviewed on 2020/02/25
Recruiter
Broadcast Media, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/16

"Basecamp is the best all user portal!"

Comments: Our team has always been collaborative but with Basecamp used as a tool, we have been able to increase our collaborative spirit. In addition, we have been able to accomplish projects and tasks faster because it gives us a way to share which piece we are working on and thus eliminating duplication.

Pros: I love Basecamp! I think it is a great software for keeping tabs on projects and people you work with. It is a collaborative space for users to update each other on what parts of the project they are working on or finishing up. It gives our team the balance needed to ensure no one is working on the same thing or on overlapping projects. It has been a huge asset and we have all loved watching the progression of projects and campaigns we are working on. It has many settings so you can really set it up based on how your team would best thrive.

Cons: One con is that this product could easily turn into a micromanaging tool for bad managers and leaders. When utilized properly it will do wonders for your team but if overused it could be a huge pain point and stressor for employees. They allow an option to have your team give a daily summary of their tasks and I could easily see that going wrong if used by the wrong manager.

• Reviewed on 2020/01/16
Michael S.
Management Consulting, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/19

"Great Solution For Team Collaboration & Basic Project Management"

Comments: I've used Basecamp to manage development projects, marketing programs, product management, company calendars, and basic HR/company policy documentation for several years. I've always found it to be reliable and easy to use. I will continue to use it going forward.

Pros: Basecamp is incredibly intuitive and easy-to-use. New users can start using the system in a very short period of time. I love the ability to upload files to specific projects or teams and to organize them into folders and update them with new versions. I also really appreciate how Basecamp makes sharing news, messages, and schedules with members of the team. Basecamp is also very affordable, even for small teams.

Cons: I would like to see some additional project management features added. Specifically, project milestones and Gantt charts. A few of the features are not particularly useful, such as the Gaussian-looking completion chart.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/19
Ellie G.
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/15

"A Really Good Project Management Tool!"

Comments: Bringing Basecamp into the organization wasn’t difficult. The system was easy and simple to integrate. My team loves it! We hare very satisfied with Basecamp.

Pros: Prior to basecamp, my organization was unorganized and working organically, there was no structure or timelines to our projects. Basecamp brought all that and MORE! It’s so simple to use and assign team members the tasks. It has a great user interface structure. There’s not a day that goes by where I’m not on Basecamp. It made such a positive impact in my organization!

Cons: When it comes to tracking, Basecamp doesn’t give a good overview of this. You need to consistent check what tasks have been completed and which ones aren’t. I hope they make an improvement on the Gantt Charts along with full project reports!

• Reviewed on 2019/12/15
Sean G.
Graphic Production Manager
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/17

"The best production management software for our company."

Comments: We use Basecamp for every project that goes through our company, and we have some team members that use it constantly and some that barely want to touch it ... when you rely on Basecamp for your company to run smoothly, you need to make sure you have 100% buy in from the team and everybody is using the software with some form of ground rules in place to help keep everything organized. Once that is dialed in, basecamp really can cover every needs we run across and it has grown with us from a 3 person company up to a 28 person company and should be able to sustain for the foreseeable future.

Pros: The pros of basecamp are the company wide team access and usage, easy access to current project related data, storage for project photos and renders. We have an archive of our projects for the past 6 years as well, so we can always go back in and find any info we may have had in the past but are missing now.

Cons: Basecamp is just difficult enough that our team members who are a little less tech savvy can feel overwhelmed with navigating the software. We tend to have 150 -250 open, active projects at any given time, so they struggle to know which project relates to them and get discouraged by the navigation. Since there are so many ways to use the software, to-dos, conversations, calendars, file browsing, etc. it can become disjointed and unorganized quickly. You really need to stay on top of keeping everything in a manner that cuts down confusion.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/17
Lawrence C.
Account Manager
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/22

"The hub for all great quality projects"

Comments: Our experience with Basecamp has been very positive. It has been a greatly important tool for the management of efficient and timely projects. The features within Basecamp have been positively used by the vast majority of our clients and create a really collaborative and team-like feel around the projects.

Pros: The best thing about Basecamp is that it provides a secure and easily accessible central hub for your project. It is easy to invite all key project stakeholders and has features that allow for quick and easy discussion around the project, easy communications of important notices and action points and acts as a central storage place that gives everyone oversight to essential project documents and files. Basecamp also provides an accurate project timeline based around the actions of the individuals who use it, meaning that assists with project traceability and track. In addition it will also send automated reminders to the inboxes of those registered which is a fantastic feature for keeping on top of all project details. These reminder emails can be customised to specific individuals which means you can easily reach/remind/engage with the action point owner.

Cons: The main frustration with Basecamp is the updating of personnel profiles when the original creator has left the company. For example, I have needed to update the job titles and email addresses associated with people for accounts I have inherited after my predecessor has left the company. However, this action is blocked as I was not the original creator which was highly frustrating.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/22
Jason N.
Marketing Director
Consumer Goods, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/18

"Better way of doing business"

Comments: While there were other, cheaper PM softwares to consider, one of the reasons I started to look at Basecamp is because they are, in a sense, industry leaders. They are constantly publishing books or podcasts about better ways of doing business and that's something their software does.

Pros: Since switching to Basecamp we've seen better communication, collaboration, and better delivery on projects for our marketing team. The way Basecamp delivers information—keeping it all up front and easily accessible—makes it super easy to find out where a project is at at any given time. We've also seen an increase in productivity. People are spending less time trying to figure out what it is they are doing and spending more time getting tasks checked off their list. It has also improved team morale. PM software can be frustrating, but the user interface has made it more fun. While we haven't rolled this out company wide, we are looking forward to it.

Cons: I think there is room to improve the educational components of Basecamp. Based on their customer experience, are there best usage stories? Are there best practices for implementation and usage that we can use? Key piece is communication. There's a lot of choices for where people can submit updates: Campfire, in the task list, in individual tasks. What are the best practices? Someone, please tell me.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/18
Kate B.
Communications Manager
Internet, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/16

"Easy, Affordable Project Management for Your Entire Team"

Comments: Since we started using Basecamp, our project intake process has become much more organized and it's way easier to see what everyone has on their plate. It's also helped us get approval from key stakeholders since everyone at every step of every project has to-dos assigned to them. I also love the integrations. We sync with Everhour so we can keep track of exactly how long it takes to complete each step of each project, which has helped us become more efficient and also see where we're spending our time.

Pros: I love how intuitive Basecamp is to use and how easy it is to keep track of upcoming projects and set priorities. I'm new to project management and it's been so easy to set up every project and teach new employees how to navigate the system. You can set different projects for different teams and even invite clients to view projects. Plus, you don't have a limited number of seats so everyone in our organization can access it without us needing to purchase anything additional.

Cons: There are too many places to communicate within Basecamp so it's important that you have a clear process. You can comment on an overall project thread, a group and in each individual to-do so sometimes it's hard to tell where a comment is located. However, it does show you which to-dos have comments within them and there are easy-access notifications at the top of your screen at all times so as long as comments are recent, they're easy to find.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/16
Christopher D.
Creative Manager
Real Estate, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/07

"Gather around the fire, Basecamp is here!"

Comments: Basecamp felt fun to use and really made us feel that we were optimizing our workflows in terms of assigning tasks and work flows.

Pros: Basecamp's user interface has changed over the years and has become for easier for clients and client facing individuals. Basecamp became a part of a sales pitch in terms of giving access to clients to a platform where we were accessible and there to help them.

Cons: Basecamp has a lot of bells and whistles that are not immediately apparent. We did have to do a little digging under the hood in order to take advantage of some key features!

• Reviewed on 2019/08/07