• Overall
    4,3 /5

About Basecamp

Trusted by millions, Basecamp puts everything you need to get work done in one place.

Learn more about Basecamp

Showing 13 324 reviews

Curt C.
Founder & CEO
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/19

"Basecamp helps us streamline project/account management and increase our efficiency"

Comments: Overall, we're very happy here at my startup marketing agency, HypeLife Brands, with Basecamp...we've been using it for a VERY long time and haven't looked back or considered anything else really. I think the 37Signals team has done a great job with the product from the beginning.

Pros: The ability to manage a team, often in multiple locales, especially in the days of COVID now, much easier than any other alternative out there.

Cons: Sometimes a conversation for tasks becomes non-linear though Basecamp is setup in a linear fashion, so it can be a bit tricky to manage that without the ability to thread comments, but this is more of an advanced user need I think :-)

• Reviewed on 2020/11/19
Chuck E.
Music director
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/02/11

"Basecamp is irreplaceable! Trust me, we actually tried too Lol!"

Comments: We use base camp for each department. Every team has their own project. Within each project is every teams important training documents documents, files, and weekly tasks. We use the ping feature for group messages. It has made file sharing very easy. Many of our documents have to be referenced by several different at various times throughout the year. Basecamp makes it simple to keep up with these documents.

Pros: Basecamp has been an amazing product for us for years now! It allows us to manage projects in events by keeping to do lists, files, and instructions all in one place.The team I manage uses it to assign tasks, communicate between team members and keep up with conversations so we can reference them later, and , keep track of files and receipts. Every document and system that our team members need access to can be attained in one place. There is a little bit of a learning curve at first but it makes sense very quickly the more you use it.

Cons: There is a little bit of a learning curve at first but it makes sense very quickly the more you use it. There are really only two things that I dislike about Basecamp but I’ve learned to live with them for now. 1.). There is a great variety of ways to send communication. You can send a ping (which is kind of like an instant message), You can make a comment on the general message board of each project, you can comment on the calendar item, you can comment on the task item itself, and you can comment on individual files you add. At first it seems real handy but once you start adding multiple projects it can sometimes be difficult to go back and figure out where a conversation happened. Thankfully the search icon works rather well in these instances but not always. The way we have gotten around this is to make sure our Team is clearly instructed on what features we will use to communicate various kinds of information. 2.) there is a feature called haystack. This functions as your personal inbox letting you know what due dates are approaching, what tasks were recently assigned, and what conversations have happened recently that you need to be part of. However, once you click on an item it disappears immediately from your inbox. So when you see something important, you need to respond or add a personal to do immediately. I wish it didn’t delete until you told it to delete like a normal email inbox. This way you could come back to the message and deal with it at a better time.

• Reviewed on 2021/02/11
Evan R.
Donor Development Specialist
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/01/27

"Unburden your Inbox!"

Comments: I encourage you and your team at least test this system. If you find yourself sorting through constant emails to find where you left off on a project- this is for you! For our team, this dissipates stress in the workplace and I have found it permit clearer communication across departments, providing for an amplified experience when teams meet in person- more productive meetings.

Pros: As a non-profit end-user, there are multiple projects I will have on my plate on any given day. In 2020 alone, I was managing the implementation of database training, following-up with Q&A from my colleagues while also navigating new tech integrations for our CRM. With so many moving parts coupled with a shift to heavy remote work, Basecamp provided an ease in transition, permitting us to keep pace with our current systems so that we would not lose the full measure of impact we have on providing aid to at-risk children during the pandemic. In short- less clutter in your standard email inbox and rapid collaboration within secure channels.

Cons: You do not have the ability to archive content, which can make sorting difficult if you are use to this dynamic in say Gmail.

• Reviewed on 2021/01/27
Sridhar R.
CTO
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/24

"Decent project management tool for small teams!"

Comments: We started Basecamp in v2 and still using it for smaller internal projects. Basecamp does a lot good when you are working with smaller simple focused projects which are run individually. Most of our clients are now demanding to be in Slack or MS Teams as part of collaboration so we have to move to newer tools and apps as required by clients. As part of 2020/2021 vision, we are now targeting to move all our artifacts and teams to Slack or MS Teams and service most of our collaboration/discussion/file sharing

Pros: The most important and stand out feature of the product is the fixed pricing. Its use all you can and no per user seating billing makes it absolutely a product for internal smaller teams. We have used this product for little over 2 years now and is used by various teams inside the company. With basic features like tasks, calendar, file sharing, we found it relatively smaller projects which does not involve too many requirement changes or too much of pre-start documentation required.

Cons: Handling large multiple projects, tracking each project activities, and above all tracking individual contractors work/ timesheet tracking has been a pain point with this product for us. Check-ins work great for a product company but since ours is a technology services projects where work really has to be tracked and detailed at most levels has been a challenge for us. Most of our clients are already on or they prefer/recommend apps from slack and MS Teams and demand to use basecamp in their ecosystem is not very in demand for us.

• Reviewed on 2020/11/24
Alex F.
Consumer Goods, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/21

"Great for general teams, most agencies"

Pros: The main challenge for entrepreneurs / agencies is getting their clients to actually use their communication / project management software. Basecamp nails this by making client/team member onboarding automatic.

Cons: Larger companies with custom workflows will find Basecamp limiting, but it's great for most small agencies.

• Reviewed on 2020/10/21
Associate Director
Higher Education, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/02/14

"Great for Project Management"

Comments: Love basecamp. Easiest software to use to project manage. We use this every single day. Don't foresee that changing anytime soon!

Pros: Such an easy way to communicate with teammates on a project, track our progress, share files, and project manage. We also use the basecamp calendar to track all of our marketing emails, social media ads/posts, print marketing, and events. It allows for easy "Traffic control" of marketing efforts.
I also love that when you want to communicate on a project/task, you may have for example 10 teammates on the project but you can pick for your email notification of the new message/post to only go to specific individuals among those 10 included so it still tracks the conversation but only notifies those needed without overwhelming others with tons of email notifications.

Cons: Honestly nothing. This software has so much to offer and they have amazing notifications and tutorials that are 5min or less to learn more to better project manage and take advantage of everything it has to offer. If anything (and to be honest - perhaps they have it and i just dont realize), it would be great to have a quick way to review marketing pieces and comment on needed updates/changes made to a document vs. as almost like a "chat"... we separately use inmotion to review marketing pieces while also using basecamp to project manage.

• Reviewed on 2021/02/14
Kristen N.
Product Marketing Supervisor
  • Reviewed on 2020/03/31

"Basecamp Has Helped Us Organize the Chaos"

Comments: Our marketing team was the first to implement Basecamp, and, eventually, the benefits to project management were so evident that most of our company uses the platform—from R&D to technical support. The application is quite intuitive, requires very little training for use, and offers multiple ways to communicate: private messaging, group chat, and message boards. The integration Basecamp offers with Google is also seamless. Tip: Once your teams are established, setting communication expectations for each tool is a necessary step to achieving a high efficiency.

Pros: The integrations that Basecamp provides make communication for cross-departmental projects quick and effective. The integration we use the most is the support of Google Docs, Google Sheets, and Google Calendar. Within Google Drive, the folder system makes it often difficult to find documents, but Basecamp allows not only Google Docs and Google Sheets to be linked to, but conversations about that specific document to take place in one place. This makes it easy to hand off documents and files to another department, route items to our publication team, or to request feedback from partners. As an original user from Basecamp 1, there have been so many improvements to the second and third editions. Basecamp certainly does an excellent job listening to its users.

Cons: The only change in version 3 that I am disappointed with is the elimination of the built-in calendar. What used to be "Events" with an interactive project calendar became the "Schedule." The Events interactive project calendar functioned a lot like a Google Calendar, which allowed someone to see all touch points on the calendar itself. The "Schedule" is mostly a list of upcoming events. However, the benefits of the folder systems, the access to resources, and the task assignments outweighs this issue. Plus, if you are a new user to Basecamp 3, you won't even be aware that anything is missing.

• Reviewed on 2020/03/31
Michael S.
Management Consulting, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/19

"Great Solution For Team Collaboration & Basic Project Management"

Comments: I've used Basecamp to manage development projects, marketing programs, product management, company calendars, and basic HR/company policy documentation for several years. I've always found it to be reliable and easy to use. I will continue to use it going forward.

Pros: Basecamp is incredibly intuitive and easy-to-use. New users can start using the system in a very short period of time. I love the ability to upload files to specific projects or teams and to organize them into folders and update them with new versions. I also really appreciate how Basecamp makes sharing news, messages, and schedules with members of the team. Basecamp is also very affordable, even for small teams.

Cons: I would like to see some additional project management features added. Specifically, project milestones and Gantt charts. A few of the features are not particularly useful, such as the Gaussian-looking completion chart.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/19
Christopher F.
Founder & CEO
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/26

"We would be a Mess without It"

Comments: Despite my complaint about Discussions, I REALLY love this product and honestly cant' see how we could keep organized with the complexity of our projects without it. I know there are other products that do similar things in different ways, but you guys hit perfectly on providing exactly the functionality we need without a lot of extra fluff. We use Basecamp B2 BTW and not B3 because we don't need all the additional fluff of B3. We have other products to handle chat (like Skype etc) so there was nothing about B3 that we needed. WE LOVE BASECAMP B2 !!!

Pros: I love the ease of use, and the how it allows us to keep very complex projects organized via the To-dos etc. I love the fact it lets our teams collaborate in a single location and keep everything related to a project organized. (We use Basecamp B2 FYI)

Cons: DISCUSSIONS. If I had a way to turn off the ability to start a new discussion I would. I like the fact the discussion area shows the chronological listing of activities, but I DO NOT like the concept of a discussion. Everything we do in Basecamp is in the TO-DO section because you can assign ownership and due dates. A DISCUSSION on the other hand, cannot be assigned to someone or a date added. Anything we need to discuss, can be done inside a specific TO-DO item and at the point someone needs to take action it can then be assigned to someone for ownership. A discussion without the ability to assign ownership and a time element is Just a bunch of talking and worthless to a business. I'm also continually having customers go out there and open new discussions when they want something instead of opening a to-do because discussions are the first thing they see. If I could turn off the ability to open a new discussion I would. Because of the issue I just mentioned, it would be VERY HELPFUL if there was an easy way to move an item from a DISCUSSION to a TO-DO. That would make it easy to deal with the situation if someone opened a discussion instead of a to-do and also would make logical sense that people are talking about something for a long time (Discussing it) and then when it's time to get off their butt and do something they could move it to a to-do (have the history of the discussion) and assign ownership.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/26
Maryellen M.
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/02/13

"For managing details and timelines for complex projects"

Comments: I am a fundraiser, and often - OFTEN - have several big fundraising projects in preparation at the same time. Before Basecamp, it was a nightmare to keep all of the details for each event separate and clear, without dropping the ball on some important responsibilities. Unfortunately, failing to take care of an important detail on any of these events can be devastating, so I could barely sleep because of the stress of worrying about where I was on each project. Also, since I often use some of the same vendors (caterers, tent rental, hotel space) it was hard to remember if I had talked to them about each individual event, and had all of my facts straight for each individual event. Basecamp makes it possible to track each and every event carefully, set up connecting emails to keep everyone informed, and makes it very easy to set deadlines, timers, and reminders for every important goal and part of the event. It took an entire weekend to set up all of the lists, timelines, and connections needed within Basecamp for the eight complex fundraising events I had on my calendar when I first set up in Basecamp. But after that weekend, I slept better than I had in months because everything was organized, I could see in a few seconds exactly what was on my "To-do" list for each day, each week, and up until the day or the event, as well as what I was waiting for from anyone else. This program is certainly an expense. But it gave me incredible peace of mind.

Pros: It is so well integrated. For example, taking one action will also notify several team members who need to know about that action without me having to send numerous emails. The software makes it possible to track several or many projects with dozens of people without losing a step or forgetting anything.

Cons: A bit of a learning curve to get started, but technical support is good, and the program quickly becomes intuitive. The other members of your team - not only your staff, but your client - must also be willing to learn Basecamp. On the other hand, once they do, they will love it - and you!

• Reviewed on 2019/02/13
Kamila G.
Founder & CEO ¿ Business Coach | Marketing Strategist | Online Training for Coaches & Experts
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/01/16

"Great for client management and projects"

Comments: It helps us keep the communication with clients in one place versus using email which is helpful. I wish they had a free version though. I like the style and branding of the app, but if I wasn't using it for client work I doubt I'd be using it for my own projects.

Pros: - The interface is fun to navigate, it's just pleasant to look at. I like all the little buttons, the way that the check marks are designed, it's fun to comment and check things off. I'm a big nerd when it comes to the actual enjoyment of a platform. The brand is on point.
- I like that you can set up different sections for todo's versus having them all be in place. It's also helpful to have a separate files section and discussions section for things not related to specific to-do's although we do rarely use them with my clients.
- I see they have an option to use Clientside where the client doesn't get to see all the things in Basecamp, and they can still use email primarily when it comes to the communication. I personally don't use this option and we just have the client in their own Basecamp but it's a great option for folks if they don't want their clients IN the actual project.
- It's easy to attach images, write quick comments, and send pings to team members.

Cons: - The price point, it's obviously not a free option like Trello or others and it is the same in terms of quality as those two except for the design and having clients in there.
- It can get confusing for the client. They don't know where to go.
- Sometimes we don't know where to write things, there are too many options for communication and discussion which makes the organization of our conversations a bit trickier to manage.
- I wish it was possible to see a visual representation of the deadlines for each task, like a gantt chart or something. I feel like Asana has more options when it comes to all of that and it's easier to organize things.

• Reviewed on 2019/01/16
Gurbir singh S.
Co-Founder & Managing Director
51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/06

"Amazing Project Management Tool"

Comments: Proper management of projects in my company. Upto date client reviews/feedbacks and more.

Pros: I am using Basecamp since 2014. One of my friend from Dubai introduced Basecamp to me. It's simple and ready to use. No puzzles to do settings. Simple team member invitation. Simple client invitation. Create project easy. Tagging teammate is an awesome feature. we can simply tag our teammate in comments, to-do items, team chat, personal chat etc same as we do on Facebook. We can appreciate someone for his/her response. Set reminders and a lot of other activities can be done. No billing issue. the unlimited number of team members and no limit of file storage. Easy interface. If I talk about the support, team basecamp is very supportive and active to help its customers. You need help? write on Basecamp's twitter account and get a response in very short time or simply go to the website and write them, they'll definitely write you back. Once my account got suspended because of less funds, I simply wrote an email to [email protected] and got an instant reply from Sylvia Chong <support team> with positive response and activation of my account for next one month. They understand customers and help them back.

Cons: Ammm.... Truly I have nothing which I like least about the Basecamp. Yea, more features can be added. Like invoicing, proposals, lead management and few other services. Because we have to find other vendos for all these services. It's complex to manage multiple vendors. Oxibase Software is one in all. They have invoicing, lead management, proposals, payment collections, project management, HR all in one. So, I would suggest basecamp to include some more features in it so that we don't look for other softwares :)

• Reviewed on 2018/06/06
Yogendra kumar S.
Network Support Engineer
Information Technology & Services, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/11/08

"Basecamp is an online collaboration app.It is Very user friendly Project management software."

Comments: One unique feature in Basecamp is Automatic Check-ins. Automatic Check-ins ask team members to essentially submit a short report answering a question, like "What are your priorities this week?" or "How many attendees have enrolled in the conference so far?" on a recurring basis that you (or the team lead) enters. The options are highly customizable, so you can ask the same question every Friday in the afternoon, or every Tuesday and Thursday at exactly 9:15 a.m.whatever you like. In addition to the display of cards for various team and project spaces, the Basecamp dashboard also has links to My Stuff: My Assignments, My Bookmarks, My Schedule, and so forth. I like that you can get to a consolidated list of My Stuff from the dashboard, but again, I'd rather be able to see it right then and there. A few customizable widgets would go a long way to making Basecamp's dashboard a more productive interface.

Pros: It has very simple interface so I can easky understand.Graphics of this software is too good.It is effective software to manage projects.Take less effort to setup this software.I like that Basecamp takes mere minutes to set up. On-screen tutorials walk you through the process with clear and concise pointers. During the setup, Basecamp suggests things you might need to add to your account, such as an upcoming event or project, as well as any documents or task lists associated with it.One unique feature in Basecamp is Automatic Check-ins. Automatic Check-ins ask team members to essentially submit a short report answering a question, like "What are your priorities this week?" or "How many attendees have enrolled in the conference so far?" on a recurring basis that you (or the team lead) enters. The options are highly customizable, so you can ask the same question every Friday in the afternoon, or every Tuesday and Thursday at exactly 9:15 a.m. whatever you like.

Cons: Basecamp offers several ways for people to collaborate with one another. Within each team or project are a message board, task list, schedule (for events), and place to upload shared files. While the message board helps for keeping track of ongoing notes and conversations about the overview of a project, you might also need to ask colleagues more pointed or more general questions that don't belong on the board for all to see. For that, there's Campfire, Basecamp's chat room.

• Reviewed on 2017/11/08
Stefanie M.
Senior Account Manager
  • Reviewed on 2020/04/02

"Basecamp Review"

Comments: Overall, this is the most easy to understand and easy to navigate project CRM tool that I have used.

Pros: I think the system is very user-friendly. If someone was new to it, it wouldn't take much time for them to catch onto how to create and assign out tasks and task lists.

Cons: Using it as a daily task organizer only worked for select departments who had ALL tasks housed within the system. For departments that had additional tasks (client phone calls etc.) keeping up with daily tasks/keeping all teams up-to-date within the system was difficult. You can only view one persons task list at a time to see what they have overdue, what is on deck for the day and what tasks are upcoming. If you have multiple team members on the project there is no easy way to see a quick overview of where everything stands aside from looking the actual project folder.

• Reviewed on 2020/04/02
Sheila J.
Program Coordinator
Higher Education, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/24

"Couldn't live without Basecamp!"

Comments: I presently manage 10 projects using Basecamp and am a team member on 30+. The majority of staff members are remote, distributed across the US. I do not believe we could be as successful if we did not use such a high quality project management software. BC enables my team to keep multiple projects moving on time in an efficient and transparent way.

Pros: It would be difficult to identify a single aspect of the software as my favorite. The beauty of Basecamp is that it's many functions work together as a whole. But file management and task list management are the main reason why I use it, and I use it daily. File management is easy as folders can be set up and each folder can hold text documents, uploaded files, files from the cloud (such as Dropbox) as well as subfolders. Nothing gets lost. Within a minute, I can locate a 5-year old document and see who contributed to multiple versions over the years. Tasks list clearly communicate who is responsible for what and when. Task assignments make people accountable for their actions and encourage people to meet deadlines.

Cons: Basecamp is not magic. If you start off disorganized, you will have a disorganized site and that can be tedious and time consuming to fix. The project manager must makes decisions and clearly communicate how the software should be used, such as how files are managed.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/24
Scott S.
Director of Operations
    4,5 /5
    3,5 /5
  • Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 2016/01/22

"Good starter program to help you get you orginized"

Pros: Basecamp - Great online content management system. This system is very easy to upload to and share information with your workgroup. It is not that expensive and will give you great capabilities if you are working on more than one project or if you need to share information with work partners. You can start as many projects as you need, and you can limit who has access to different parts of that project. Breaks down into two groups your Team and the Client - you can set access for each of these groups. Clients can be limited to only view or change particular accepts of the project that you give rights to. Tracking - you have the ability to track compare work that has been done to early versions of a document. You can also pull up the work history of Team members or Clients. It is easy to invite Team members and clients and there is nothing to download.

Cons: After you have uploaded files (in my case as a publisher images for example) you can not download them as a group. You have to individually download each file that you need. This can lead to having multiple version of a file. If you do not delete a previous version of a document then there will be two. the only way to not run into this is to us the document fuction in Basecamp. This feature is very basic. if you do not stay on top of file management and discussion you could be soon over run and find yourself with a lot of clean up work.

• Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 2016/01/22
Tabitha N.
  • Reviewed on 2018/02/14

"Been using Basecamp for years, can't imagine porting over to anything else"

Pros: I've used Basecamp for my business personally for close over 3 years now. Before this, I was just emailing assignments out to people on my team, and "tracking" things in an Excel spreadsheet. The process worked, but it was cumbersome and inefficient. One December morning, I woke up and decided that it was time to get streamlined and organized, and had heard several other people raving about Basecamp, so I decided to give it a try. It took a while to get all the projects set up - which certainly is no fault of Basecamp - I just had a lot of clients to set up, and a lot of projects, requirements, etc. Now, I cannot imagine my life without it. Several clients we work with use Asana (out of all project collaboration platforms, this one is my least favorite since it's always a disorganized mess), Trello, Jira and Podio. I find Basecamp to be the most intuitive and easy-to-use out of all of them. Plus, it has a great app that I can use on my iPhone and iPad when I'm traveling.

Cons: There aren't any real "knocks" to Basecamp, per se. Sometimes the server might be down, but this is few and far between... and also something to be expected when you're using SaaS, cloud-based product. Sometimes I don't get email notifications when someone has updated a task thread, but I use the calendar and "progress" functions on Basecamp religiously, so am usually able to figure it out pretty quickly.

• Reviewed on 2018/02/14
Dave A.
Digital Marketing Manager
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/22

"4 Years and going strong"

Comments: We have been using it with a globally distributed team for the last 4 years and frankly cannot work without it. We even run our weekly meetings with it by reviewing outstanding tasks. If it's not on Basecamp, it doesn't get done!

Pros: Basecamp is quite easy to use. Even people who are less technically inclined will find it increases their productivity and collaboration. It is very useful to have an activity history and the fact that all shared files are available to users makes it a top class collaboration tool.

Cons: The style is not as fresh as it could be. When you first open the application you either love or hate the look and feel of it. One other small UX issue is that you have to download files to preview them. There is no option of previewing common files in-browser.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/22
Kristin P.
Senior Graphic Designer
Graphic Design, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/26

"The lifeblood of our team's project management"

Comments: Basecamp is the home base for all of our projects. It's the easiest way to get feedback from relevant stakeholders all in one place. I can't imagine a world where as a graphic designer, I'm receiving email feedback from marketing, engineering, growth, etc and having to somehow act on all those tasks without a repository for it all. It also keeps us honest on deadlines.

Pros: Basecamp is truly our home base for all things project management. Our project coordinator is the master of entering in all projects, sub-tasks and deadlines (an unenviable task) but it truly is the only way, as a senior designer, to keep a handle on a dozen or more ongoing simultaneous projects. We use it also to get approval on designs by just keeping a long thread going within a project and tagging relevant team leaders. Also love the Tracked plugin for kanban viewing.

Cons: I think the notifications were a bit much. Most mornings I have to sift through several dozen email notices, some for very small things like title change adjustments that our project coordinator had done in the evening hours. The only notifications I really need are someone commenting within a project of mine and someone tagging me.

Brandon S.
Marketing Content Manager
Biotechnology, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/07

"Not a Swiss Army Knife, But Offers Extreme Value"

Comments: I've used Basecamp for more than 10 years and it has worked with me through three different positions in the three different industries. Their onboarding tools and support team offers a lot of immediate help when you need it. I'm definitely an evangelist for this platform.

Pros: Basecamp 3 offers an intuitive platform and interface for project and operational collaboration across a wide distributed team. It's easy to onboard new team members both inside and outside the organization. The flat-rate price is a steal compared to all of its competitors.

Cons: Basecamp does not try to be all things to all people, which is a blessing and a curse. There are dozens of other features offered by other platform that are not offered by Basecamp. So if those features are critical, you may have to turn to one of the API-driven integrations for a separate fee.

• Reviewed on 2020/01/07
Product Manager
  • Reviewed on 2020/07/06

"The foundation of my success, is Basecamp"

Comments: Awesome. The product is easy to setup. Easy to on-board, easy to start using. Easy to achieve benefits from. High quality, cheap and the support is second to none.

Pros: Everything is in 1 place. All emails and context are linked and it's super easy to see a holistic view of everything.

Cons: The calendar is terrible, specifically,​ it's lack of 2-way sync is deeply frustrating. You either have to commit to Basecamp being your calendar, or your calendar is a separate silo outside of Basecamp​, either option is not an ideal.

• Reviewed on 2020/07/06
  • Reviewed on 2020/09/14

"Most effective PM software out there."

Comments: I love that they now have a free tier for bootstrappers with 1-3 clients or project that can scale up much in the way that MailChimp allows you to with email marketing. This is a huge plus to get more people started on the platform.

Pros: This is the most thoughtful project and team management software out there, hands down. Our team has replaced Slack and email project communication with one program. It is truly a different way of thinking about not only project management, but customer and team communication. Slack for us had become more of a distraction than a help. This solved that problem. This uses a bulletin board approach as opposed to an interruption approach like Slack. This type of PM requires trust and confidence in your team, which is rare in today's workforce.

Cons: This is not a con for our small company of less than ten people, but I could see the software not making sense to people who are used to the instant communication of an app like Slack. The pros could be the cons for some companies who are not ready to shift their thinking around project management, employee comms and distractions.

• Reviewed on 2020/09/14
Jordan S.
CTO/Co-Founder
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/15

"Excellent Project Mgmt software"

Comments: I'm tracking my projects through the use of Basecamp and it's very nice to be able to see at a quick glance (for multiple different basecamp projects) what tasks I and my employees need to accomplish. First and foremost that helps to keep my projects on track and ensure I'm keeping my project turnover rate as high as possible.

Pros: I love the ability to set specific 'to-do' items for members of a given basecamp while also having community areas to discuss project objectives or blockages in general. I almost use BaseCamp as an IM tool for quickly asking questions or following through with certain tasks. I also love the desktop alerts from my browser as I don't need to install any stand-alone application to keep up to date on Basecamp happenings.

Cons: Hmm.....tough to say. It's a relatively simple piece of web-based software that VERY efficiently accomplishes it's task. I can't say that there's really anything I dislike about it.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/15
Jonas H.
Future UX Designer
Higher Education, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/26

"Critical for Remote Project Management"

Comments: Basecamp is THE tool I recommend to friends and colleagues when there's a huge, multi-pronged project that is in need of management. Creating and assigning tasks are a cinch, archiving tasks is super easy, and the ability to add descriptive notes is almost everywhere in the software. Being someone who's always worked outside of the project management function, Basecamp has always met all one's needs.

Pros: The best thing about this software is the ability to create tasks, create due dates, and assign them to various parties. I've had a number of jobs over the years and Basecamp has been the way work was managed through the most successful of them. The system is really intuitive, and where things aren't clear, Basecamp is really good about providing tool tips or microcopy to bridge any learning gaps. I've recently started a small business, and Basecamp is the tool we're using to manage our work. 10 of 10, would recommend.

Cons: It's a bit of a double-edge sword: the fact that many email notifications are opt-out rather than opt-in made it so that one of my email accounts constantly overflowing with notification emails from projects that I'm involved in rather than those than I'm working on. It more had to with a culture in that organization of over-transparency, but it would be nice to be able to opt out of a specific type of notification email in a single click.

Lili C.
Post Wedding Specialist
Photography, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/09/07

"A fundamental tool for collaboration and team communication"

Comments: Using it to manage all company communications, files, tasks, and calendars.

Pros: Among the many tools that feel just natural to use after a while, the one I couldn't live without is the progress screen (which allow me to see my progress, a user's, or everyone's), the shared tasks and calendar functions, and the custom e-mail notifications. I have set up a number of special notifications so that I am informed whenever an update on a specific project happens, and I don't have to be checking in constantly or reading unnecessary information. This is more of a permanent database for all of our team's updates, while we use Slack to communicate in a more immediate fashion. Both tools have virtually replaced e-mail, and whenever we do use it, it gets forwarded through filters to Basecamp, so it's not really necessary as a tool per se. This definitely saves us a bunch of time.

Cons: It is not the cheapest of tools, but if you balance out everything you are getting for the price, it is worth it. I wish it would have more integration with other tools, or invoicing capabilities, but I understand it is not meant as a CRM although in many ways it can be used as such. Other than that, I don't have many dislikes as I have grown used to the interphase and it has been really helpful for our team so far.

• Reviewed on 2018/09/07