• Overall
    4,7 /5
    4,6 /5
    4,6 /5

About Deputy

Deputy: schedule staff, track time and attendance, manage leave, export timesheets to payroll with a click, and stay compliant easily.

Learn more about Deputy

Natalie O.
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/08/27

"No bad until you try to leave"

Comments: I have rarely ever left a negative review in my life but after my recent experience I feel it's almost a responsibility. I closed my business in July. Not having a need for timekeeping I cancelled an account. I deleted all staff and shifts and unsubscribed from this service. I did so before the close of the billing cycle. Since this is a payment in advance service I should have been left with nothing outstanding. I've had demand after demand. I went back into the account to inquire as to why I'm still receiving demands to find that the account was not closed, I was not unsubscribed and although all staff profiles had been deleted i was still listed as having 5 staff. I updated my contact information, emailed Deputy stating that I had unsubscribed using the instructions in the help files and heard nothing more. Then the demands started again. The worst however was having to deal with their customer service rep on live chat who'd leave me sitting on live chat for 5-7 minutes at a time only to come back and claim he was leaving me hang there on purpose so "I'd calm down" He seemed to take particular exception to me insisting on a chat transcript. Given that I'm so furious with this company and how it allows its reps to treat customers, customer service rep's strategy didn't work. I got my chat transcript in the end but only by copying and pasting the entire thing myself. He wasn't too keen on his replies being included in the chat transcript. Utterly disgusting.

Pros: It's cheap. It's not an expensive service but the old adage you get what you pay for applies here.

Cons: Customer service is deplorable. I've never in my lifetime of dealing with various services, apps, etc ever dealt with a customer service rep as badly trained and as unprofessional as I have seen at Deputy.

by Deputy on 2018/09/20

Hi Natalie. We really value your feedback and will share this information with our team. Thank you for your honesty and we look forward to working with you in the future to improve your Deputy experience!

• Reviewed on 2018/08/27
Justin P.
Security Officer
Security & Investigations, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/21

"Deputy for Security"

Comments: Deputy is an innovative solution for security professionals.

Pros: Deputy allows users to check their schedules, claim open shifts, and clock their time with accountability by GPS tracking.

Cons: Sometimes lags in the data makes it difficult to clock time accurately. Also transferring incident reports could be made easier.

• Reviewed on 2020/11/21
John P.
Food & Beverages

"A+ Scheduling Software"

Comments: Saves me time and hassle. Employees know how to use it quickly with little/no training.

Pros: Inexpensive, feature rich, and easy for me to export timesheets to our payroll provider, Gusto. It was easy to add our existing employees when we made the switch. Employees have no complaints using it for time off requests, unavailability or integrating with their calendar so they know when they're scheduled.

Cons: The manager side of the mobile app is lacking full access to make it easy to approve time off requests. Depending how I pull up the request from my phone sometimes it also shows the date as Christmas Eve from years in the past (like 2015). Hasn't been a big enough pain for me personally to be mad enough to contact them, though I should so they can tell me I'm dumb and using it wrong or fix it.

Simon G.
Data Analyst
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/15

"Great Experience"

Comments: Now we're in control of the working time of our employees with a tool that really helps us to assure everyone is making their time.

Pros: It's a really complete solution that handles all the requirements for a bussiness like us, the schedulling is very complete and the control fo the employee's timesheets is awesome.

Cons: Not really the software acomplish what is required and is really simple to use, the process of implementing in our offices has been natural without a lot of training.

• Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/15
Leanne F.
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 2016/11/03

"Deputy improves our business efficiency"

Comments: We are in the air-conditioning & mechanical services industry with approx 40 employees and a similar amount of sub-contractors working on various sites throughout the Sydney Metropolitan area. Before we installed Deputy we were relying on each individual signing a "sign on/sign off" sheet at the various job sites. On these large construction sites it's very difficult for the site supervisors to monitor the actual start and finish times of individuals. Time sheets were emailed to us on a fortnightly basis from each employee/sub-contractor. These were all formatted differently and made wages preparation a long and laborious task.

Pros: Each site has an ipad and the employee/sub-contractor logs in at the start and finish of their shift where a photo is also taken which makes the monitoring of staff very easy. The times are approved by the office manager each day and individuals can check what shift times have been approved on their app at any time. Each fortnight the time sheets are printed, which are in an each to read formalt, and wages are prepared from these sheets. This process has reduced approximately five hours of wage preparation. Customer support has also been prompt and efficient.

Cons: The best way to use Deputy on job sites is with a "kiosk" (ipad). We don't have secure site sheds at all sites so finding a location to put the "kiosk" with available power to charge it was harder in some areas.

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 2016/11/03
Mindy D.
Team Coordinator
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/17

"Deputy is fairly easy to use and has been a great help in setting up a new payroll system."

Pros: It connects to all our offices and is easily adjustable. Signing in and out is very simple for everyone and it's nice to have an all in one scheduling, asking for time off, signing in and out.

Cons: Setting up the schedule is difficult. I have to copy and paste each day for each person, even though their schedule remains the same because it's not automatically setting it up properly. The new Auto scheduler should see that "Mindy works 9am-5pm Monday- Friday" every week and set it up that way, but it doesn't. It just decides what hours should be covered and randomly puts in everyone's schedule however it wants. It will also randomly start telling me that someone is working too many hours, even when I have them set up in the system for a 40 hour week and I'm only scheduling them 30 hours. There's an override, but it takes longer to set the schedule that way.
I would also like to be able to see total paid time off easily, maybe even in a chart or report. We need to keep track of how many hours per year they have used.

Matthew L.
Warehouse Manager
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2016/07/27

"Staff management made super easy"

Comments: I use deputy every single day to keep tabs on my employees who work in two different locations. Scheduling and managing my employees couldn't be easier. Deputy is a very easy to use software used to track data, time sheets, schedules and communicate with each other.

Pros: I love the reports that deputy keeps track of. Every report is meticulously categorized and organized, which is a complete life saver. Instead of spending hours sorting through time sheets and data, deputy has all that for me in a single click! Payroll is super simple.
I also love the way that I can communicate with 40+ employees through the news feed. I use the news feed for important company announcements and changes which is helpful because everyone has to be on the deputy software, so everyone will see the messages. My employees also interact through deputy among regarding work such as schedules, work processes etc.

Cons: More functionality with the iOS app. I work a lot through my phone and I would be great if I didn't need to hop on my laptop to access everything I need on deputy.

• Reviewed on 2016/07/27
Lara H.
Facilities Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/10

"Couldn't survive without Deputy"

Comments: As a company that provides rapid response (24/7) labour hire to Mines & Industrial clients, it is essential that we can advise staff of their shifts quickly & accurately. We can have up to 3 roster changes per day (for 22 staff) and are currently saving up to 11hrs per week in admin time just by adopting the rostering & timesheet features of Deputy. Couldn't survive without this program!

Pros: Easy to set-up with no costly IT service visits. Being a free app removes any hesitation by staff to adopt this software. Can immediately advise staff of last minute shift changes and they can advise of their availability to HR (preventing any clashes)

Cons: Don't seem to be able to approve timesheets from HR mobile phone app anymore.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/10
Lex W.
Program Coordinator
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/17

"A breath of fresh air compared to when I wrote schedules with a pen and paper."

Comments: I love being able to see my employees' overall availability a week at a time, which makes scheduling so much easier. It would be helpful if System Administrators received a notification when a User changed their availability so I could continue to stay ahead of the schedule and be able to maneuver my team better. I do appreciate the ease of scheduling. It's not such a beast anymore!

Pros: Deputy has been a saving grace when it comes to writing schedules. I love the ease of saving locations and being able to house all of my employees' unavailability information in on place. What used to be a beast and take me anywhere from 3-5 hours to complete now can take me 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on staffing changes. Customer service is excellent, especially when setting up your account and being able to decide if Deputy is the best product for your company's use.

Cons: I wish the interface for System Administrators on the mobile application was more user friendly. With my work being partially field based, it would be super helpful to be able to manipulate scheduled on the go instead of needing to use a computer to solidify schedule changes. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this product.

Natashia L.
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/17

"I have loved the fact that I can have as many employees that I want"

Comments: easy scheduling, great communication with my staff and the ability for my staff to drop shifts, switch shifts of take an open shift.

Pros: My staff and I really like the communication in the news feed, the ability to post PDF and images as needed to all my staff as I use it for my Staff Memos. I also like the ability for them to 'confirm' the message after they have read it. Having the chance to edit the start time of a shift is also helpful as sometimes you forget to log in and it can be adjusted.

Cons: It doesn't show the amount of hours scheduled in a day at the bottom like other software I have previously used. (When I work) and it also doesn't let you type large amounts of text in the news feed.You have to send multiple messages or upload a word document. Users have also complained that they can't view what the full shift times are of other staff working, just the start times of other people. It would also be nice to have multiple people able to log in on the same computer at once. currently one person has to log off before the other can log in.

Luv L.
Airport Service Manager
  • Reviewed on 2017/04/18

"Makes rosters a walk in the park"

Comments: Deputy makes scheduling very easy. I started using Deputy over 12 months ago and I cannot imagine being without it. Checking, updating or even scheduling can be done via a smart phone or tablet. I have started using Deputy at all the 3 southern states that I manage with the same ease. Staff love it as well as new, changes or updates are published and sent to their smart phones instantly. I also love that I can contact deputy via the app or web app to raise a issue or ask for assistance. Also new feature requests can be made and where possible it will get implemented. Deputy have implemented features that keep improving the product. Keep up the great work.

Pros: Cloud solution which means I don't to have any special servers to support it in house

Cons: N/A

by Deputy on 2017/04/27

Thanks for your awesome feedback Luv! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling.

Amanda josalene W.
Fragrances
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/11

"Excellent value for the money; works great with my business."

Comments: Overall, Deputy helped me to relieve stress that comes along with managing payrolls and attendance among a team of employees. I have been able to effectively organize all of my time-sheets without issue, and will continue to use Deputy for my business.

Pros: The price is excellent and you receive a quality, well-rounded software that allows you to effectively manage payroll and attendance sheets among employees. This took a lot of stress off my back as for a while I was doing everything manually, by hand, and then having to input all of this into a spreadsheet on my computer. Deputy helped make this process 1000x easier, and the price point didn't put even the slightest dent into our business's budget. Within Deputy, you can also use it as a platform to communicate with your employees as well, which is a perk if you need a software that allows you to do such as well.

Cons: I don't have any cons. Everything runs as it should!

• Reviewed on 2019/03/11
Laura D.
Veterinary, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/12/05

"Deputy Staff Schedule Module"

Pros: Deputy provides a fully functional scheduling module we use for our Veterinary practice. Our current software did not include time clock/ scheduling features. Deputy is a user friendly program that handles our paid time off requests, time clock functions, and work area assignments. Deputy has advanced security features such as photo capture at clock in, location of clock in, and password protected access. While providing these features, it also is user friendly.

Cons: Customer support is typically via chat, and their hours of operation do not always reflect US time zones.

• Reviewed on 2018/12/05
Jeremy R.
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/04/18

"Everything you could ask for in a scheduling app"

Comments: Our company tried a few and Deputy ended up being our pick. It does everything you could ever want it to do and then some. Gave 4/5 stars in features and functionality simply because the messaging feature is too limited. However, they could delete this feature altogether and it would still be a 5-star application. Overall, Deputy is a sleek, bug-free system that will make the person in charge of scheduling a happy camper. And the price is right too.

Pros: Ease of use.
Dependability.
Beautiful Interface

Cons: Messaging System

by Deputy on 2017/04/27

Thanks for your awesome feedback Jeremy! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling.

Katherine Z.
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/17

"We switched to Deputy from hand-writing everything - SUCH a time saver and SO easy to use!"

Pros: The thing I love most is that everything's in one place - Schedules, Requests Off, Time Sheets, News Feed, Task Lists, Contact Info..everything! It makes organizing our team of 30+ employees WAY easier than when we did everything by hand. No more emailing or texting out schedules, Deputy does it for us! You can access it from anywhere, which is really helpful to everyone on our team!

Cons: If I could, I would love a way to decide which notifications I'd like to receive. My position doesn't require me to personally track employees hours on a daily basis, so I don't really NEED to know if someone's running late, but I like to be notified if there are post updates in the news feed.

Gerardo Y.
  • Reviewed on 2017/11/20

"Over all Deputy is very helpful to manage staffing schedule, leave request and vacations."

Pros: The notifications keeping people up to date of their work schedule it helps the staff keep track on their hours and select their available to work with us, specialty on an industry that demand a lot of flexibility of work hrs from staff.
The easiest of making the schedule week by week and keeping conveniently up to date.
If I have an problem with the system their support is always available 24/7

Cons: The inconvenient of not be able to edit Staff profiles.
Since we have staff of different ages is difficult to the staff to understand how important is for the company to keep their information up to date.
So I assume if the Deputy sister will support and enhance the employees with their questions and give them the same guid to use Deputy as the management will be great.

• Reviewed on 2017/11/20
Davin R.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/04/12

"Deputy is a must for any business"

Comments: If you business requires the tracking of hours worked like most business, YOU MUST JOIN DEPUTY. This program is very easy to use, and employees love it. This company is great with communication and fixing any issues that may arise. The reporting system is great and very accurate. A+++ a must for your business

Pros: Ease of use

Cons: customizing to include my logo

by Deputy on 2017/04/13

Davin,

Thanks for your awesome feedback! We love hearing success stories like yours, and what an awesome quote : )

"YOU MUST JOIN DEPUTY"

Thanks for your stamp of approval, and never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future!

Happy scheduling.

• Reviewed on 2017/04/12
Roy K.
Retail Operations Manager
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/20

"Very useful app to check my staff's punctuality"

Pros: It shows the location where my staff clock in and out. So I can tell who is lying and who isn't.
Also, it's very easy to use. When a new employee comes in it's so easy to make them use and understand the system.

Cons: Nothing. It's a little bit slow and buggy on Android app even if it now has a similar layout to iOS version
Overall user experience is great though.

• Reviewed on 2018/04/20
Sam M.
Manager/Co - Founder
Hospitality, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/04/20

"Great Software!"

Comments: A real lifesaver when it comes to time spent on HR! Well laid out UI and intuitive enough that my staff can figure out how to use it as they go.

Pros: Great UI, time saver. Integrations with Kounta to see sales vs staff costs.

Cons: Doesn't directly allow custom wages based on an area of work and/or age. Can be achieved through the RIA 2010 template but would be nice to see this native and customizable inside deputy when adding employees and wages. Maybe an extra tab with wages. Custom wages based on hrs of the day/employee age/working area etc. Then apply them to an area or employee.

by Deputy on 2017/04/27

Thanks for your awesome feedback Sam! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling.

• Reviewed on 2017/04/20
Jennifer M.
Former owner
Food & Beverages, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/12/06

"Dependable employee timesclock and schedule system"

Comments: The program was my favorite scheduling system of all that we used. It saved us time and money overall.

Pros: I liked being able to analyze our employment spending based on our sales. The way they offered it was amazing. Really great features.

Cons: I wish there was some easier ways to clock in and communicate based on some competitor offerings.

• Reviewed on 2018/12/06
Kathryn J.
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/23

"This program revolutionized our staff scheduling, payroll, and communications."

Pros: How easy it is! And the Great customer support! My staff loves it. It has given them a way to take more ownership of what we do.

Cons: I haven't found anything to dislike! I am a huge fan!! The only thing I would like to see added would be a calendar of events, appointments, birthdays etc.

Lisa F.
Accountant
Accounting, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/05/01

"Great program to use."

Comments: Time clock

Pros: Quick and Simple easy to use with little instructions. Used the program for many years and love the ease of use.

Cons: Loss of data if wifi goes down. We notice that sometimes when the wifi doesn't work well the data is lossed over 23 hours. We can work with the issue though.

• Reviewed on 2018/05/01
Timothy C.
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/24

"Easy and simple to use"

Pros: It's integration with gusto payroll is top notch! I approve all time sheets in deputy, record overtime, and holidays, and simply upload to gusto with all payroll completed. Excellent and easy. Not to mention, employees can change their time sheets (which i get an alert) and take responsibility for time submitted, creating a great audit trail for future claims.

Cons: Hoping for better integrations with hr software such as small improvements . Also, would like to see a better platform for the news feed that allows outside integration with maybe slack or small improvements.

• Reviewed on 2018/06/24
Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/24

"Great platform easy to use and train new employees on."

Pros: Easy to access on any device, tracks employee time and geo tracks. The new feed is very helpful for notifying employees across a large territory.

Cons: Nothing I can think of overall. Deputy was the best choice for use based on interface and useability of the product.

• Reviewed on 2018/04/24