QuickBooks Desktop Pro Reviews

• Overall
    4,3 /5
    4,3 /5
    3,9 /5

About QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Accounting tool that provides multi-monitor support and past due stamps through improved cash flow.

Learn more about QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Showing 1 280 reviews

Teunis K.
General Manager
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/07

"Hands Down best accounting software for small to medium size business"

Comments: Thumbs up for this software. It has not only helped rum my business but also made me look good with banks and investors.

Pros: Quickbooks is a 123 easy software to use for your financial needs. If you are looking for a financial system to run your business this is it. Balance Sheet, Income Stament or account it has you covered.

Cons: Sometimes if you have horrible staff they can make mistakes that will take a long time to figure out and repair.

• Reviewed on 2020/10/07
James B.
Managing Director
Pharmaceuticals, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/07/13

"Simple Accounting Software"

Comments: I have used it for many years. I have done the upgrades as well and the customer service is helpful

Pros: This is easy to use. I can get all of my invoices done and manage my cash flow. At tax time, I can get a copy for the account and he can update the information. You can link to your credit cards and banks as well

Cons: It would be good if they had some way of tracking hours or some way you could assign the hours for billing

• Reviewed on 2020/07/13
Donna P.
Retired Office Manager
Consumer Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/01/08

"From Tedious to Tolerable"

Comments: I am by no means a pro at making spreadsheets and was very pleasantly surprised at how well QuickBooks Desktop Pro made that knowledge (or lack thereof) completely unnecessary. It made my otherwise clumsy efforts of data entry look completely professional.

Pros: QuickBooks Desktop Pro makes some of the more tedious parts of business, such as keeping up with payroll, vendors, and inventory so much easier to keep up with. Pretty much all you do is fill in the blanks and QuickBooks does the rest for you.

Cons: The only thing that I didn't like about this was that sometimes it wouldn't save the the words that I had typed in or it would save a different word from the one that I had typed. It was similar to the way that spellcheck can completely twist a word that you are typing.

• Reviewed on 2021/01/08
Melissa B.
Accounts
Environmental Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/08/12

"QUICKBOOKS PRO IS THE WAY TO GO"

Comments: It has made it a lot easier to keep track of the progress of the business. We can monitor the customers invoicing, their payments including methods of payments, dates of payments, as well as dates of services and what services were conducted with the codes that were readily available to be put to use. This is ultimately going to make the business a lot more valuable as we will be able to calculate the gross and net values produced by the business for any given season/month/year from now on; and when the time comes for retirement we will have a hard copy to show what the business is valued at.

Pros: Setup is so easy and efficient. Once you have your account information entered you log in and you're set to begin entering your customers/vendors/accounts. As you create them it's simple to sync them and enter payments all within the ease of clicking a button.

Cons: The first time of backing up the system was a bit of a challenge as I couldn't find the file on my computer; however, I do believe that was a personal fault of mine and had nothing to do with the program itself.

by Intuit on 2018/08/13

Thanks a ton for taking the time to leave us your review, Melissa. Your comments are affirming to come across, as I loved reading QuickBooks is helping Lowers HVAC continue to grow. We're proud to be backing you and your team, and I know just where you can go should you ever have questions.

When you get a chance, explore our Community forum space a bit. This live Q&A space doubles as a troubleshooting library, and a perfect example of what you can find there is this article on system backups: community.intuit.com/articles/1436816. Even though I'm confident you're a pro at backups by now, the article above highlights what the Community has to offer.

Delighted we're doing our part to keep you on track. I'm wishing you continued business success, so when the time for retirement comes around, you'll have nothing to do but celebrate.

Jess, The QuickBooks Team

• Reviewed on 2018/08/12
Barbara B.
Bookkeeper
  • Reviewed on 2017/04/12

"Quickbooks 2017 review"

Comments: I am using QuickBooks Pro for my four clients now. Once a client is a cash basis video rental company. They invoice and get paid by credit card immediately for every sale. The sales dept creates the invoices and posts the payments. I track of all business expenses and income to the corporation, an LLC and his personal expenses and income as well. I reconcile the bank accounts and credit card statements monthly. I can do all this one day a week through QuickBooks Pro. I provide financial statements - a Balance Sheet and Income Statement to my client monthly. Then I pop it into excel and do a 12-month spreadsheet of the monthly Profit and Loss so he can see his trends and set goals as they are presented side by side each month. My other client has a business with three departments which each require a profit and loss statement. I set up the departments easily through the chart of account. In my career, I am now a bookkeeper and working full time. QuickBooks is perfect for this!

Pros: It is flexible and almost anything can be recorded and done. Reporting is easy to customize and can be set up to meet any company needs.
I also have a manufacturing cliient and inventory is easy to reconcile and move goods through the process. Reporting is essential in this area of QuickBooks.

Cons: I sometimes have trouble with the Chart of Accounts and eliminated accounts.

• Reviewed on 2017/04/12
Nabeelah P.
  • Reviewed on 2018/07/27

"You do not have to be a bookkeeper to use this efficient and functional QuickBooks app"

Pros: I am an accountant and have signed all my clients up on QuickBooks.
In the world of accounting and bookkeeping software quickbooks really stands out, why?
Its affordable
Its really easy to use.
The iphone/android app connects to the camera on your phone.
Which means you can take a photograph of your invoices, its crops it automatically and saves it on the cloud. Super simple and no more filing coffee-stained invoices.
That way you can easily submit the digital image to SARS/IRS in case of a query.
You can set tax perimeters (e.g. if your client is a non-profit you can set to VAT n/a)
Its super simple to setup with your client's bank account. Which syncs card purchases in real time. You can match corresponding invoices to payments.
No more stressing about debit or credit.
Easy search and filter functions. To find payments by amounts/ suppliers/ dates etc.
You can easily go back and fix a typo or error when you don't balance.
You can easily add notes and comments and images, in case your colleague is also accessing the app.
This app frees up time usually wasted on administrative tasks and allows me to do the real analytical work, of forecasting and budget etc , required of an accountant.

Cons: I hope my clients don't see this review, as they will wonder why on earth they pay me such an expensive retainer. Because actually QuickBooks is so easy that bookkeepers may go out of business.

• Reviewed on 2018/07/27
David H.
Building Materials, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/05/07

"Small business standard - but expiration is frustrating"

Comments: Get your small business up and running in an extremely short time, and then run it until you have substantial growth without needing to switch software. Your accountant may ask you to use the online version but that is more costly (since you are paying monthly and you pay online for each company) and has fewer features. I run three companies on the single desktop license and that complies with their licensing. Because QuickBooks is ubiquitous, you can find any accountant to teach you some aspect you have trouble with, or perhaps just a friend who has used it before. It is not hard. On craigslist, you can find any bookkeeper and he will probably be familiar with the software and be able to coach you. I do not use QuickBooks Payroll Services (an extra charge) because I use a payroll service instead, which is less expensive. Most banks have a simple download function for importing transactions into your quickbooks accounts. This will work very easily for years. However, after a few years, you will find that you can no longer download transactions from your bank accounts directly into quickbooks. This will force you to upgrade your software if you intend to keep using this feature.

Pros: I have used it for 15 years and it handles nearly all of my needs

Cons: No inventory management for multiple locations
Keeps expiring after a few years, requiring repurchase

• Reviewed on 2019/05/07
Gennyfer C.
Office Administrator
  • Reviewed on 2020/09/24

"Overall Good Accounting Software"

Comments: Overall, I am pleased with the software and its capabilities. It does most of what I need it to and definitely saves time over doing my bookkeeping manually or in a spreadsheet program. If I had it to do again, I would probably purchase QuickBooks Enterprise, as I understand that it is designed more for the construction industry.

Pros: It is fairly easy to use and does a great job of tracking banking and financial transactions, payroll, and a pretty good job of tracking job costing. It is compatible with almost any bank or financial institution's online banking, which is a very convenient way to enter transactions and reconcile accounts.

Cons: Some of the reports are convoluted and a bit difficult to find the right filters to get the information you need to display on one report. Especially the job costing reports, it takes a couple of different reports to get the whole and accurate picture of actual job profits. Customer service is not always the best and technical support, beyond anything very basic, is not offered without paying additional fees.

• Reviewed on 2020/09/24
Sheri D.
Farming, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/04

"Quickbooks Desktop Pro"

Pros: Quickbooks Desktop Pro has been an extremely beneficial piece of software for our business. The many features offered in Quickbooks Desktop Pro has brought everything together for us into one system. Our inventory, reports, quoting, invoicing, billing, payroll, customer and vendor lists, you name it - are all in our Quickbooks software. This has saved us countless hours of our valuable time with everything being in one place. We don't have to go searching for other software tools to handle our inventory, invoicing, payroll, etc. Another awesome feature about Quickbooks Desktop Pro - when the internet is down, Quickbooks still works :)

Cons: The biggest challenge we face using this product, is our limited number of users that are able to access the system. Since we have different employees to manage different areas of our business such as Accounts Receivable, Billing, Quoting, etc., we sometimes find it a challenge trying to balance the right time for these employees to access their portion of Quickbooks to complete their duties.

• Reviewed on 2018/04/04
Anil K.
Blogger, eCommerce store
2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/08/09

"A perfect data managing software for small and medium sized businesses."

Comments: However, this software is very much value for money and I highly recommend this software if your business is the small or Medium size and even you're on a budget. You can prefer this software. Before purchasing, I do recommend you to use free-trail and try to test the Quickbooks in all possible ways and according to your business needs and if you're fully satisfied with it. You can proceed with purchasing.

Pros: 1) As per my personal experience, Quickbooks pro is extremely easy to use.
2) Luckily you have customer support and chat for all your queries.
3) Quickbooks is even specialized for each country rules, for example, like in India, the taxation system will be in the form of GST( Goods and Service Tax) which also requires specific GST No for every business individual. So, Quickbooks pro even offers to integrate the GST No into its software for better transaction and invoice generation.
4) Moreover, we can use this software Via Mobile and tablets by downloading Quickbooks Application.
5) It is very cost effective, you can get free-trial aswell and can acquire 70% off for first purchase users.

Cons: 1) Here you will be having the limited number of accessible users for each account.
2) You cannot get lot tracking and barcode scanning.
3) You cannot generate custom reports.
4) While using Quickbooks, only very few times I have experienced App crashes.
5) Not likely suitable for larger business.

• Reviewed on 2018/08/09
Pat A.
Marketing Mgr
  • Reviewed on 2018/10/04

"Some things are easy and others are frustrating"

Comments: All in all it's a good program but you really need someone you can call to set everything straight

Pros: If you are just dealing with entering customers, invoices, and bills it's easy but you get into payroll and paying your payroll taxes etc. it can get frustrating. For example, when I started working for this company I was told that Quickbooks would pay your payroll taxes. You just go in and click on the tax you want to pay and poof it's done. Nobody told me that there were taxes that were not on the Quickbooks list that you would have to go in and figure. There always seems to be something that pops up that we don't know how to take care of. So the solution is to find a good QuickBooks person that comes to your office and fixes your mistakes or shows you how to do something you are stuck on.

Cons: When you want to create something, say an invoice or something. There is not a lot of explanation on how and where to find the tools to allow you to move lines, create boxes for money and different things like that.

• Reviewed on 2018/10/04
Alana G.
Construction, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2016/11/08

"QuickBooks Pro Easy to Use"

Comments: QuickBooks is easy to pick up on and start using right away. Inputting of data (invoices, bills, etc.) is very straight forward and seems like common sense. QB has full functioning and simple payroll if needed. Many CPA firms use QB, which means they are able to review your file to ensure everything is correct. This makes it easy at the end of the year for your accountant to create your tax return. Not only is there great customer support for questions but most CPA firms can help you with your questions as well. So if you have an accountant you work with, you can usually ask them about QB as well. QuickBooks is great for any general/traditional business. I give QB a great rating for general/traditional businesses. It gets trickier to use in the most ideal way when the business is unique or runs finances in a non-traditional way. QuickBooks is VERY general. Yes, it has many different versions that seem to be tailored to certain industries, but usually the only features changed are reports more specific to that industry. There is not always an ideal way to input your company's data, so it reads exactly how you want it to. As an example, we are a general contractor BUT do our work on a cost-plus contract and subcontract 100% of our projects. We do not have an ideal way to track retainage for our subcontractors, track/prevent over-payment of our subcontractors' contracts, tracks costs 100% accurately, or create our billing on an AIA document automatically. Like I said we are not a traditional business and we do not run our business in a tradition way. QuickBooks is great for a general, traditionally ran business that needs to keep track of its payables, receivables, and bank accounts.

Pros: PROS
Very easy to learn
Widely used by many CPA firms
Great Customer Service

Cons: Very general
Does not support non-traditional/unique businesses' financial needs

• Reviewed on 2016/11/08
Sherri H.
Business Manager
Education Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/02/01

"Long time user"

Comments: As charity and school using QB Pro, we have complicated bookkeeping. QB Pro handles it well.

Pros: Very easy to use and track transaction history or account breakdown

Cons: Would love desktop features available in an online format

by Intuit on 2019/02/09

Hi there, Sherri. I appreciate you taking time to review. I'm thrilled to read QuickBooks is providing the capability to easily track transaction history and account breakdowns.

Please be assured the Product Development team is working to add the features and functionality of the Desktop version in QuickBooks Online. As time goes on, the program grows in scope.

While you're here, if you haven't already, I recommend checking out our Community site. Whether you're trying to learn a new feature, or simply need an answer to a question, you're sure to find what you need among the wealth of self-help articles and customer conversations in the forums. The following link will guide you there if you'd like to explore further: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/US-QuickBooks-Community/ct-p/community-us

I wish you continued success with QuickBooks going forward. Thank you for your longtime loyalty and for reviewing QuickBooks!

Clay, The QuickBooks Team

• Reviewed on 2019/02/01
Kimberly P.
Financial Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/04

"Best for Small Businesses"

Comments: QB has become a universal accounting software product. I use it daily for my own personal business and my 5 clients. Again, it is easy to use and understand.

Pros: I've been a QB user for many years. What I like most about this software is the ease of use and all of different functions and business applications it has.

Cons: Sometimes, QB has almost too much information. There are hundreds of reports to choose from, along with different business applications. Overload...

by Intuit on 2019/08/05

Thank you for being part of our QuickBooks family over the years, Kimberly. Business owners like yourself are who we had in mind when designing our software, so we're thrilled to hear that it has been easy to use and effective at helping you manage you and your clients' books. Sometimes it can be tough navigating the different features. We recommend checking out our Community page for tips on getting the most out of your software: (http://community.intuit.com/). There you'll also find discussions with your peers on a variety of topics and access to our support team should you have any questions.

Wishing you continued success!
Jen, The QuickBooks Team

• Reviewed on 2019/08/04
Geraldine M.
bookkeeper
Construction, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/03

"QB REVIEW"

Comments: Everything I do with QB is quite easy to work with and navigate thru

Pros: I use this program in day to day business. I use it mostly for keeping track of all jobs in progress by inputting invoices from vendors, paying vendors, invoicing customers and tracking all expenses.

Cons: i haven't come across any cons in what I do. However there are many functions that I never tried so I can't attest to all aspects. For instance, I do not do payroll thru QB. I have a separate company for that

• Reviewed on 2019/10/03
Pasang S.
Financial Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/16

"Great software"

Comments: The software is great in terms of its user friendliness, online accessible by multiple users at the same time.
We are satisfied with the functionality of Intuit apart from few drawbacks.
For the companies with large number of employees, the cost will be bit higher and the cost of software will be similar to MYOB and Xero due to the payroll expenses. However, this expense can be offset against the ability to get real time report and its other features.

Pros: The best part about this software is its user friendliness as well as being able to access the files by multiple users at the same time through online. Also, one of the great features about intuit is its audit trial. Users are able to see the audit trial of specific transaction within a second.

Cons: There are few areas where intuit needs to improve such as invoice templates. It has improved a lot but still has not been able to meet our expectation. Customising the invoice template has been one of the drawbacks of the intuit.

• Reviewed on 2019/04/16
September S.
General Manager
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/02/10

"Getting our feet wet"

Comments: Our small family-owned/operated manufacturing company has never bitten the bullet on accounting or inventory software until now. We finally determined that for our size and budget Quickbooks Pro would be the best option. There are two of us who use the system, on separate computers, so the setup was already a massive plus; me on a Mac and the boss on a PC. The Products and Services section will be a slow process for us to completely fill in, but we are custom manufacturers with about 2 million individual options, so the custom categories and product names system are working surprisingly well. Some features can be individually detailed in the description section of customer invoices. We are slowly integrating our bank details as well and look forward to a much easier tax season in 2018 as a result of the fully integrated system. Being able to see sale trends with some of the custom filtering and reports also looks to be an unanticipated coup for how we operate down the road.

Pros: Customized invoices, Filters for customers, invoices and products and services, Ability to fully customize product/service categories, online system compatible for Mac and PC – and the desktop apps that feel more secure than being a web browser, cost of service for the included features, the fully customized email and reminder messages to customers who are set to receive invoices by email.

Cons: We aren't setting up payments through QB, so I wish the invoices only showed a message about entering a customer's card info or offering the payment service occasionally if at all. We've said we don't want it and we don't pay for it – it shouldn't be front and center. We are a unique business in our order/production/payment process, so the Invoice Due Date sort of detail has to be estimated when an invoice is created.

• Reviewed on 2017/02/10
Alena H.
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/23

"QuickBooks Desktop Pro for small business"

Comments: I would highly recommend QuickBooks Desktop Pro for any small business. It has everything you need for Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivables and Payroll.

Pros: An enexpensive software that has a great deal to offer, for keeping track of finances. Very user friendly. Easy to use, easy to learn.

Cons: I would prefer a field for tracking invoice numbers specifically. But you can add this in the memo.

by Intuit on 2019/07/25

Hi Alena! Our goal is to have our software be an easy and effective accounting tool for handling your books, so we're thrilled to hear you feel this way. To keep track of your invoices, we recommend entering the it in the invoice number field under the date. Whenever you need to search for an invoice, you can use the Find feature to pull it up. Here's the steps to do this:

- Go to Edit on the top menu and choose Find.
- Change the Transactions Type to Invoice.
- Enter the invoice number you're looking for.
- Click Find.

We hope this information proves useful and wish you a wonderful business year!
Jen, The QuickBooks Team

• Reviewed on 2019/07/23
Monica C.
Executive Assistant
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/19

"Easy to use accounting/bookkeeping softeware"

Comments: Overall, QuickBooks is a great tool. I don't know the first thing about accounting, but this software is so easy to use that it was simple to teach myself how to do it.

Pros: We use Pro 15. QuickBooks is great for keeping track of just about everything for accounting. We have been using it for years. The one thing we really like is the amount of access you can give to another user. We have someone who only inputs our invoices. We have it blocked so that is all they can do or see.

Cons: You can't make payment through QuickBooks, even though you are supposed to be able to do so. We were told we would have to upgrade the 17 in order to make some of our bill payments, but no matter what we tried it wouldn't work. After calling support and escalating this issue to a tier 4 resolution team, it still wouldn't work. They blamed our bank, but if you read the discussion threads it is all banks.

• Reviewed on 2018/04/19
Marcus S.
tax manager
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/18

"Quickbooks Desktop Pro"

Comments: I like Quick books desktop pro. It is a great program for small business accounting. I like that you are able to purchase the software outright and can use it for a number of years.

Pros: I like the multitude of functions that are present in the software. I like ease of correcting erroneous entries by drilling into the account and then the transaction. The speed of the program is a major positive.

Cons: I do not like that the software is always trying to sell additional products. I do not like that it bombards you with options to purchase additional features when all I want to do is get some accounting done.

• Reviewed on 2020/02/18
Theresa H.
Operations
Wholesale, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/26

"Best resource for small business"

Comments: Quickbooks Desktop Pro has been the best for our small business - and is offline, which is definitely the best. Even with internet outages, you can still get things done. Everything is backed up automatically, so even if someone makes a mistake, you can jump back to the day before and fix it.

Pros: We use QB for everything from inventory to payroll. It integrates seamlessly with our B2B website, and sails through from sales orders to invoices to receiving payments. It makes everything about business very effortless, and even our [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] can use it with few hiccups.

Cons: Sometimes, as with any software, Quickbooks can have problems and terminates at the worst possible time. But even then, once you sign back in, you can talk to a customer service support team member, who will fix any underlying issues.

• Reviewed on 2020/10/26
Katherine C.
Office manager
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/13

"QuickBooks pro - easy to use"

Comments: Overall this is simple to use easy software which helps keeps our books on track.

Pros: I like how its simple to use and set up. I Also like how it integrates simple with other software we use

Cons: It does glitch out and have some problems. Sometimes it won’t even let us sign in which can be detrimental to the business. But usually a restart of the computer fixes it.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/13
Tony K.
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/14

"If it fits, can be great."

Pros: A good solution if the cloud is not necessary for you to operate your business. Using add on apps from different solution providers really makes it a better product. Easy to learn and use, does not take any accounting knowledge.

Cons: Out of the box it works great for a very small business, must spend more money on apps to make it somewhat practical. Lot's of exporting to Excel is necessary to see the data in the way you want. One of the biggest drawbacks is limited to 300,000 transactions. Sounds like a lot, but it's not, even a very small business can hit that within 2-3 years, and i have seen business that had to change out mid year because they hit 300,000 in less than 10 months.

• Reviewed on 2018/06/14
Sean M.
Senior Associate
Law Practice, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/08/27

"Easy Accounting Platform"

Comments: It was been great. This is an amazingly easy to use accounting platform and works as intended.

Pros: I am a fan of how easy it is to create invoices. The look and feel of this platform is great and the interface is very user-friendly.

Cons: I wish the QuickBooks dashboard screen was more customizable. It would be nice to customize this screen in a way that adds more functionality specific to my needs.

by Intuit on 2020/09/10

We're thrilled to hear that you've found it easy to get the job done within QuickBooks, Sean. To stay updated on exciting upcoming features and product updates, please feel free to check out the QuickBooks Blog: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/blog/. This is where your feedback comes to life! Wishing you a great business year. -Hannah, The QuickBooks Team.

• Reviewed on 2020/08/27
Amy R.
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/10

"Customer Service is USELESS"

Comments: The program is fine but my overall customer service experience is horrendous. At no time have I called to resolve an issue and actually had someone on the phone with enough knowledge ( or any knowledge of the product at all ) to help me through my issue. I usually wind up using trial and error to figure it out on my own.

Pros: The basic functions are very easy to use. For the most part it is a good book keeping program. Do Not try to do anything that is NOT BASIC.

Cons: If you need to do something a little more advanced than normal it is very difficult to figure out how to do it and customer service is USELESS! The support team has never used the product and it shows every time I call.

by Intuit on 2019/09/11

Thanks for posting your honest review, Amy. This isn't the perception we hoped you'd have of the software. Our goal is to provide the best accounting software, along with support should you ever need it. It's discouraging this wasn't achieved for you, but we'd appreciate the chance to improve your outlook on QuickBooks. For a different way to get assistance, we recommend visiting the Community. In this space, you'll find an assortment of comprehensive articles. If you don't see the exact info you're looking for, you can post your own unique question to receive expert advice from fellow users and QuickBooks Team members: https://community.intuit.com/

We wish you and your business continued success.
Morgan, The QuickBooks Team