Denali Business Reviews

by Cougar Mountain Software

• Overall
    3,9 /5
    3,8 /5
    3,9 /5

About Denali Business

Three product lines: Denali Business, Denali FUND for nonprofits, and Denali Payroll. Ten accounting modules to choose from.

Learn more about Denali Business

Kathy R.
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
  • Reviewed on 2016/06/14

"I have used Cougar Mountain Denali for 3 years."

Pros: This product is very easy to use. It is user friendly. The support team is excellent. I receive return calls the same day.

Cons: Wish I had more options on the reports. The programing you can do yourself for custom reports hasn't been easy.

• Reviewed on 2016/06/14
Mark B.
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/09/05

"Many features not right. My CPA hates the software."

Comments: Anything that is wrong with the software, they make you feel it's your fault, or they designed it that way.
Customer service feels like it's run by a your worst nightmare of a Cable Company.

Pros: History. I love history for my customer's past purchase. Multi Level Pricing for inventory. 2 Must haves for my business.

Cons: Software is more suited for a simple Cash drawer.
Forget a mixed environment, card swipe and online terminals for Credit card processing. Even Cougar Mountain does not use integrated Card Processing themselves.
Credit Cards processed though Sales do not show in Bank Reconciliation, yet Card Payments in AR do show in Bank Reconciliation.
Ask why, Because you might not make the deposit from the Sale. Just a example of odd answers from Management.
Many things just don't work the way they should. Warnings that an invoice is not printed before posting also include any on hold order not printed. Ship To address files have crossed variables. A Ship To Company Name is NOT used anywhere but in the UI for entering. Contact name becomes the Ship to Company name. This was "designed" this way. eDelivery for Invoices/Statements still limited to 75 pages per run after software has been around for a year. Their solution, just select less than 75.
eDelivery Software then tosses out system level errors. Solution, Reboot your computer as Windows 10 Pro is at fault. Even a computer from Cougar, setup just for their software.

• Reviewed on 2017/09/05
Humbert A.
Administrator
  • Reviewed on 2009/07/22

"Admin"

Comments: We run a distribution company with about 8-10 routes, and I'm seriously looking into QB Premier. The one thing I know that cougar has better than QB's is their customer specific pricing. But we are looking to go with handhelds on our routes and the software that will communicate with the handhelds and Qb's will handle customer specific pricing.

Pros: Not Sure of anything significant

Cons: Not intuitive at all. Very expensive for support, and you will need support.

• Reviewed on 2009/07/22
Julie S.
City Clerk
  • Reviewed on 2016/02/18

"5 years experience"

Comments: We have had Cougar Mountain software for a while and are very happy with the product and customer services.

• Reviewed on 2016/02/18
Lezah S.
Business Manager
  • Reviewed on 2016/04/04

"Accurate, easy to use."

Comments: I used Cougar Mountain software for 15 years, changed briefly to a software that catered to our State reporting. I switched back to Cougar Mountain and I feel like I have a product I can rely on. LOVE-IT.

• Reviewed on 2016/04/04
Dan S.
  • Reviewed on 2014/12/04

"Very Satisfied"

Pros: I like the integration of the modules (ie.e purchase order, to inventory, to accounts payable, to general ledger). This speeds up all data entry. We really like being able to archive reports rather than printing reams.

Cons: I would like for the updates to be easier to install.

• Reviewed on 2014/12/04
Mehedul hasan M.
CEO & Founder
Food & Beverages, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/06

"Another Best"

Comments: For a combination of software, customer support, and account executive representation. Highly Recommended

Pros: Best customer service no doubt hare. Easy to work with CMS and Manages inventory access at any level.

Cons: Few add-ons cost extra money and the payroll has bugs. Can’t able to look back at transactions and it complex for the beginner

• Reviewed on 2018/04/06
Annette H.
Controller
  • Reviewed on 2014/11/26

"CMS DENALI - Not Road Worthy"

Comments: I've used Cougar Mountain Software for about 25 years. Their ACT version was an excellent product. I had to convert to DENALI due to an OS upgrade. I have never been so disappointed in a Cougar Mountain product. Their reports are not nearly as robust as their ACT reports, their Payroll doesn't even provide the information you need to reconcile each month, let alone each year. I've had errors where unbalanced transactions post. Now, the general ledger and AP reports don't reconcile == and I have so little confidence in this software's reporting accuracy, I don't know where to even begin looking for a difference -- could be anywhere!! This review is for the 4.1.1 version. I am told the new version corrects some of the defects -- but they have miles and miles and miles and miles to go to catch up to their ACT version. At least their technical support people are pleasant. I've spent so much time on the phone with them, I'm wondering if we're related.

• Reviewed on 2014/11/26
Autumn S.
office admin
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/10/12

"software"

Comments: its slow at times and gets very expensive

Pros: the customer service is very friendly and helpful

Cons: its complicating at times and is very slow

by Cougar Mountain Software on 2018/10/17

Autumn,

We would love the opportunity to talk with you about the specific issues that you're seeing. One of our core values is "unparalleled customer success", and we will work tirelessly to ensure that your experience using our Denali software is second to none.

Is there a specific issue that I can address that would improve your experience with Denali?

• Reviewed on 2018/10/12
Kelly O.
Executive Director
  • Reviewed on 2015/09/18

"Amazing"

Comments: Cougar Mountain has excellent customer service and support. They are incredibly responsive and always ready to help and answer any questions. They follow up with you to ensure you are satisfied and don't have any questions. They go above and beyond to ensure customer satisfaction. Their software is also incredibly straightforward and easy to use. I work for a non-profit so I purchase Denali with GL, Payroll, AP, Bank Rec and Donor Express management. The different modules correlate incredibly well together allowing the accounting to be super efficient. It was easy to learn and just makes sense. My sales representative went above and beyond to ensure I had everything I needed and was progressing with my installations and training appointments. He checked in with me regularly and truly cared that this software was meeting my needs. The installation techs were very friendly and ensured the software was up and running quickly. My trainer was incredibly helpful and walked me through how to use the program and different modules. He was thorough, responsive and very friendly. I highly recommend Cougar Mountain!

• Reviewed on 2015/09/18
Don G.
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Reviewed on 2015/10/23

"20+ Years Of Use, Sorely Disappointed"

Pros: The only good thing I can say about it is the searches and reports using crystal reports versus report writer is lightning fast.

Cons: Our company purchased our first Cougar software in the early 90’s, and have updated to every new version along the way.
In July 2015 we bought the Denali version, and it has been terrible. Don’t touch it with a ten foot pole.
Hardly a day goes by that we don’t find new errors in the software. Spent a lot of dollars to get everything converted and our rep, while trying to be helpful, gets the run around from support. When I talk to support they tell me our support dollars have been used and they can’t report the problem to fix, even though it’s obviously a program error. We can’t generate purchase orders, because the system ignores items on back order. We can’t do a general ledger month to month comparison. I pointed out this problem in July and they said it may be fixed by year end. Many of our month end statements have to be changed because of wrong amounts, and the payroll has bugs. I feel that we are a Beta test sight and paying them to learn of all the errors.

• Reviewed on 2015/10/23
Anna F.
Logistics & Supply Chain
  • Reviewed on 2015/11/23

"Denali is a great product"

Pros: Security (audit trails), customization abilities, training videos, knowledgeable and timely answers to questions/problems.

Cons: Time zones. They are in MST and we're in EST. Even though they do have CSR available by 9 am our time to solve most of our problems, they are not usually fully staffed until later in the morning.

• Reviewed on 2015/11/23
Tom G.
Accountant
Philanthropy
    3,5 /5
  • Reviewed on 2016/08/31

"Great for the price, Mostly got it right..."

Pros: From an audit standpoint, batch processing, locked transactions and audit trail, easy G/L, full module integration. From an ease of use, straight forward accounting product.

Cons: From an ease of use, graphics and click area make for some clunky functionality. Payroll reporting should provide more detail to make sure quarterly reports can be completed in case Aatrix is unavailable.

• Reviewed on 2016/08/31
Sarah J.
Hashmicro
Accounting, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/08/02

"Learn something new everyday and great for the price"

Comments: Easy to use and learn

Pros: Cougar Mountain Denali software was user-friendly and able to access at any level. Very easy to use and the issues has been rectified easily

Cons: Some of the features cost extra money. poor code requires constant updates and can't able to look back at transactions

• Reviewed on 2017/08/02
Tammy B.
Office
  • Reviewed on 2016/02/04

"I use the Denali Payroll and it is very easy to use and the software support people are great !"

Comments: Very easy to learn and easy to use

• Reviewed on 2016/02/04
Nick A.
president
  • Reviewed on 2016/04/26

"I have been using the Cougar Mountain for the last 30 years and I never change it till now"

Comments: one of the best software ans software support
I am an Accountant and i use it for all my clients

by Cougar Mountain Software on 2016/05/26

Thank You Nick.

• Reviewed on 2016/04/26
Darthie A.
  • Reviewed on 2016/03/11

"Great software and very user friendly."

Comments: Currently using Cougar Mountain Pro 2016. The Software Assurance program is a must have. The customer service department (online and over the phone) is exceptional! Please continue to offer support for us Pro users for a very long time.

• Reviewed on 2016/03/11
Shannon H.
Accounting Administrator
  • Reviewed on 2016/03/10

"We have been using Cougar Mtn for 15 years now, I prefer it over Quickbooks."

Comments: Customer service is great, software is easy to use, updates are pretty painless. Transaction codes can be a little tricky and some of the windows are small and harder to read for us older folks! Overall I would recommend Cougar Mountain.

• Reviewed on 2016/03/10
Margaret A.
Comptroller
  • Reviewed on 2016/02/19

"Partial usage of software"

Comments: We only use Cougar Mountain to post information from our hand written invoices. We post invoice #, total due and customer po# only. This gives us an ability to mail a statement with payments posted against it. It does give us a report to use for Sales Tax. We do not have inventory or A/P on this system.

• Reviewed on 2016/02/19
Betty R.
Bookkeeper
  • Reviewed on 2015/11/30

"Not user friendly"

Comments: I know that we have an outdated version of your software, but find it to be not user friendly and when you call for help, you are initially put on hold for as much as 45 minutes and then it takes the whole day to get a call back.
When I need help, I need it at the time...
No need to contact us, we are changing software and are about to go live.

by Cougar Mountain Software on 2015/12/10

Betty, thank you for posting your feedback. We certainly can understand the frustration of waiting for support. We released Denali, our latest and flagship product, many years ago and have concentrated our support staff on meeting the needs of the growing volume of Denali users. The result has been that the number of staff trained and available to service customers that remain on our heritage product (CMS Pro) has dwindled. Because there are fewer available staff that know this aging product the result is longer response times for customers that remain on that product. We are sad to hear that you will be converting to another accounting product but wish you well and good business in the coming years.

• Reviewed on 2015/11/30
Aaron P.
    3,5 /5
  • Reviewed on 2014/12/02

"Denali is the best!"

Pros: I like the inventory control the best. I also like the fact that Cougar Mountain has regular updates and that they are always striving to improve their product.

Cons: I'd like to be able to better customize what and how a screen looks and acts. As far as the vendor, the thing I like the least about them is sometimes it's hard to get through to support.

• Reviewed on 2014/12/02
Josh J.
Operations Manager
Civic & Social Organization, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/09/26

"Excellent Payroll System For Our Non Profit!"

Pros: We were really excited to get started with growing our non profit but quickly became weary of the accounting requirements when paying individuals. It's been an amazing growth step in our organization.

Cons: It took some time to transition into this platform from our regular payroll system. However, with their support this was a quick and easy transition.

• Reviewed on 2018/09/26
John F.
Accounting and Technology interface
  • Reviewed on 2015/11/13

"Denali is full of Bugs, report information is inaccurate. Information cannot be trusted"

Comments: Examples
1.Purchase Order generated an incorrect back order PO- the quantity on the PO was not what was in the Inventory Master Record. 2.The General Ledger impact report in Edit does not show accurate balances. 3. Interface with UPS Worldship does not work. 4. The daily backup only goes to a Local C Drive on a desktop. 5. Customer Statements have incorrect due dates. 6. Cannot print a Zero Dollar Invoice, but it does process through posting. 7. The percentages over Min and Max do not always work in PO. 8. Cannot modify existing reports as the data fields available are very restricted.
Plus- Crystal reporting tool works very well and can be used to generate stand alone reports directly from underlying files. System speed is very good. Report output allows for export to excel files. Easy to publish adjusted standard reports. Reprint a posting in GL very helpful.

by Cougar Mountain Software on 2015/12/05

Thanks for your comments. Your points are acknowledged. We have received a design change request related to PO-generation. Also, you are right about the UPS Worldwide interface. That interface was in CMS Pro (our legacy product) but was never implemented in Denali. There are a couple of points that are unknown to us. These include the issue with the Impact Summary and the issue with the Customer Statement. We¿ve searched our records for reports of these problems without finding them. We welcome your help in recreating those. Some of the points align with the expected use of the product. The backup does not have to be saved only to the local C drive, it can be saved to any networked location. Also, zero dollar invoices are not printed as the default in Denali because many (most) customers do not want them to print. (You can print these invoices manually by selecting All as the invoice type to print.)

We are constantly improving Denali and appreciate your input to the process.

• Reviewed on 2015/11/13
Ernest B.
  • Reviewed on 2016/01/18

"Being a user of this software for more than twenty years over all I it"

Pros: It is a very stable platform and the service we get from computer team is first class

Cons: they use a genuis credit card capturing device and we feel that the device should capture the signature of our customers that have an open account. we have to have the customer sign twice or copy the A/R invoice!

• Reviewed on 2016/01/18
Bob B.
Solution Consultant
Accounting, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/03/11

"Great for small to mid-size buisenes"

Pros: Modular based product that allows businesses to choose from the suite not forcing businesses to purchase modules that are not needed. The modular base allowed us to purchased what we needed when we were ready.

Cons: The interface is a bit out dated and could use some revamping. The functionality is great just could used an update to the UI.

• Reviewed on 2018/03/11