Filter by:

• Overall

About Jira

With 15+ years in the agile space, Jira offers teams the top tools and best practices to provide the right foundation for growth.

Learn more about Jira

Showing 10 736 reviews

Joshua M.
Freelancer
Financial Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2021/09/16

"Enablement of Team collaboration for Agile projects."

Comments: JIRA is a great tool that allows for greater team collaboration within Agile projects. It is easy to use and very intuitive. Sometimes connectivity can be a problem especially with the cloud based versions. JIRA definitely provides more value than shortcomings.

Pros: 1. Different user roles can be defined to allow for segregation of duties.
2. Epics can be defined to assist with long and intermediate project planning.
3. Duration of sprints can be defined according to project requirements.
4. Statuses for user stories can be used for tracking progress as well as workflow management.
5. Allows for bulk import of epics and user stories which can fast track administrative tasks where this information has been captured elsewhere e.g. CSV format

Cons: 1. Only users from within the organization can be assigned to tasks and user stories. This can cause unnecessary delays where external users need to provide urgent input or contribution.
2. Statuses (user stories) cannot be defined specifically for a board where multiple boards exist within a project.
3. Only two types of users can be assigned to user stories, which are assignees and reporters. JIRA does not allow for multiple users (assignees) to be assigned to one user story.

• Reviewed on 2021/09/16
Vinayak B.
Vinayak B.
SAP BW Analyst
Information Technology & Services, 5 001-10 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/07/22

"Best ticketing tool to use and track Issues"

Comments: I have been using this tool for almost 2 years for tracking, creating Incident and also for change request,
It's simple to use and easy to filter our query.

Pros: Ease of use and filters and customizing dashboard based and sharing across team

Cons: All good, when downloading any incidents it should consider all the attachments and download in the particular incident.

Ogaga U.
Security Analyst
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/08/31

"JIRA works pretty great for projects and tasks"

Comments: JIRA has been very beneficial to us across all teams and it's very useful for service and technical management.

Pros: I like the kanban board, it works very well and looks simple to use (but it's not easy to setup). The task management for business project is very nice and the new feature of being able to look at the overall work like in a spreadsheet, definitely beats Smartsheet for me. I like that you can easily move your work when you're done using the board view, if you like.

Cons: Scrum/Agile can be difficult to setup because the Kanban board isn't so great when setting it up. I have run into some difficulties with it, their support board was helpful but it did not resolve the issue. Business projects do not have the ability to link to Bitbucket, it would have been nice to include task management with Bitbucket integration, it helps to appropriately follow up on tasks. The board view for tasks and sub-tasks doesn't work for me. I'd like to see that there are major tasks with steps of the child tasks (change the subtask icon too).

Alternatives Considered: Smartsheet

Reasons for Choosing Jira: Atlassian has a wider product range and it helped to keep everything with one organisation. Secondly, at the time, JIRA integrations with other tools we used, worked really great.

Switched From: Asana

Reasons for Switching to Jira: There were some drawbacks with Smartsheet when we used it for a short time to try it out. Some liked it but my team and I preferred JIRA and we were the decision makers.

• Reviewed on 2021/08/31
Praveen M.
DevOps Engineer
  • Reviewed on 2021/07/22

"Jira : Collaboration of multiple people on same platform"

Comments: Jira is an extremely useful product to work with a very large team and many project at the same time. Jira supports Agile and Kanban both the types of project management strategies.

Pros: It's a very powerful tool. It provides many advanced features to collaborate with people. We can easily tracks things on Jira through our mobile devises and other gadgets. It helps us to plan the projects with tasks and sub-tasks.

Cons: It is an expensive software compared to other open source software. I have worked with many software Jira is one of the most expensive product that we have used in our projects.

Alternatives Considered: Asana, HubSpot CRM and Salesforce Sales Cloud

Reasons for Choosing Jira: Salesforce was not suitable for our requirement and the type of business that we are doing. So, we have shifted to Jira and it's a very important decision for us to collaborate our exciting team.

Switched From: Salesforce Sales Cloud

Reasons for Switching to Jira: Jira is developer friendly, easy to work with, easy to collaborate with multiple people on the same task, have features to same attachments and issue tracking with notifications is very helpful to complete tasks on time.

UX Architect
  • Reviewed on 2021/04/04

"If you are doing Agile/SCRUM software development, JIRA is a must"

Comments: JIRA was a bit tough at first to pick up, but soon you understand how it works and its features, your workflow becomes very smooth. However, I would like if JIRA had fewer technical terminologies or quick help features in case you get lost inside. They gave a tour when they introduced the 'new issue view' and you can still find it useful in the "Actions" tab on the right top of the screen. JIRA is a must if you are in the IT industry.

Pros: My organisation uses Agile software development to do product development, it would be appropriate for me to say every one of us uses this software right from the developers, to QAs to designers to Product Managers to even the senior management. Everyone has their own work areas inside JIRA. It is difficult to say in few words what JIRA is, it is a complete suite for a software development company and I'd suggest you try out JIRA no matter the size of your team. My main work areas and familiarity are the backlog, story management and issue reporting. JIRA acts as the single source of truth with its easy to use Epic and Story feature which makes the life of a product owner very comfortable. The development teams are then able to do their story estimations and sprint planning all in the same place. I would highly recommend you to try JIRA even if you are a startup or a big software house.

Cons: JIRA has a learning curve (at least for me, coming from a non-technical or project management background) but with a bit of training (can be done by yourself) it is not that hard to get up and running. Initially, I struggled to find my way around the software and also didn't know how to use some features and tools. But when you get accustomed to the UI, you will realise the power of JIRA.

• Reviewed on 2021/04/04
Victor L.
  • Reviewed on 2021/03/06

"All in one"

Comments: I have some larger projects for which Jira is a perfect fit. Once you are set up everything works smoothly. I would recommend this tool for any long-term product development but only if you are willing to put effort into it. It is not a one-click set-and-forget solution but can work wonders for larger projects in the long run. For an average team, I would consider 2 months the break-even point for time spent and time saved.

Pros: If you are looking for a management system that is good enough to cover all your needs then Jira and the Atlassian portfolio is exactly what you are looking for. Every aspect of your workflow is infinitely customizable and perfectly integrated with their entire suite of software development tools. Once your setup is complete everything is easy and automatic for your team. The potential for boosted productivity is huge.

Cons: All the updates can be overwhelming. Great updates can provide users with additional features without affecting present ones but some updates are breaking and requiring you to find the relocated setting in order to configure what you want. That is adding to the already high cost of setting up a new project. If you have someone dedicated to administration then the rest of the team will have a great experience. This is a very powerful tool and that means it will take time to learn and properly manage it.

Alternatives Considered: Basecamp, Asana, Wrike and monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Jira: We simply outgrew Trello. If you require an easy and quick-to-set-up solution that will get you started within the hour then Trello is for you. Jira is the natural next step with easy migration and a similar workflow. It takes more time to set up so the question is whether you need the additional features. The only thing I am missing from Trello so far is the smooth keyboard shortcuts.

Switched From: Trello

Reasons for Switching to Jira: I was already invested in other Atlassian projects like Trello and Bitbucket. Better integration with Bitbucket was the deciding factor. The overall more developer-focused image and development tools available also contributed to the decision.

• Reviewed on 2021/03/06
Luke A.
Luke A.
Account Director
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/09

"Best and most true to tradition agile project/product management tool around"

Comments: I have a (probably unhealthy) love for Jira and would need a lot of convincing to switch. It's interface is genuinely enjoyable to use and it aligns perfectly with agile product management methodologies, natively and in conjunction with its plethora of add-ons.

Pros: Jira is an immensely powerful issue management tool. It's JQL language provides ultimate flexibility to satisfy the needs of all roles on a product/project team. It's easy to use (if agile concepts are familiar to you and semi-intuitive if they're not), easy to deploy (especially if you're using Jira Cloud) and easy to integrate with.

Cons: The pricing model for add-ons. You could have a 100 users registered to your Jira instance, have an add-on that is used by a small handful of power users, and still be paying a license fee for all 100 users. Very annoying!

Alternatives Considered: Asana, Trello and monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Jira: Basecamp was rudimentary and unable to effectively visualise our cross-company/cross-team workload.

Switched From: Basecamp

Reasons for Switching to Jira: Jira was the most aligned with our internal development workflows and flexible enough to work for both technical and non-technical users.

• Reviewed on 2020/11/09
Randy N.
DevOps Engineer
Financial Services, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/09

"The software an engineering department can not live without"

Comments: Jira cuppled with Agile processes have driven the velocity and overall engineering teams to new heights at the company. I don't see a world where once you are on it you are with it for better or worse.

Pros: First of all I want to say Jira is DOMINATING the market. There is little that Jira cannot do which makes it a no brainer of everything most startups and companies will use. I love that Jira for the most part is a one-stop-shop for Engineering teams, IT teams, Knowledgebase, ticketing systems. You don't really see issues with using Jira until you get bigger. The fact that I can link Jira tickets to my Git commits and add confluence documents to my tickets and google drive files ALL IN ONE is ourtagious and its something my company loves inside and out.

Cons: Just like every software out there you cannot be perfect in all ways. Because Jira is a one-stop-shop the biggest issues we have is customization of Jira. Not because Jira cant be customized, but only because it can be customized so much that we need set Jira admins whos sole job it is to manage Jira for the entire company because of the huge learning curve because it takes so much time how to figure out even the littest changes to make our lives easier. On top of that, a big issues I see if that as you grow in Jira it is a money pit at times to have it scale with the company. At this point, we are so vested in Jira we cannot get off of it. Adding SSO, and Confluence, and CI DI, and all the features that they promote arent dominating their fields, but its like "Well.... We are on Jira and they don't integrate well with other software so if we want the best features I guess we will have to use all their software"

Alternatives Considered: GitLab

Reasons for Switching to Jira: Like I said, Jira is leader in the market for Engineering teams, it makes the most sense. Jira is the best software for startup companies needing it.

• Reviewed on 2020/10/09
Product Manager
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/12

"Works great for Software Project Management, I wish the configurations were easier to set up."

Comments: We are overall very satisfied with the product as the user side of the things are very solid. The administration is quite complex and if you are doing it on your own, it will take a long time and a lot of hours reading their forums to get things right.

Pros: The task tracking and overall reporting are pretty solid. If configured properly, you will not miss on any updates and can proactively resolve blockers.

Cons: The configuration. They are very complicated and you cannot expect a new user to get it right and that's why there are dedicate people who set up this. We did it on our own and it took us a couple of months to get things right.

Alternatives Considered: Pivotal Tracker

Reasons for Choosing Jira: DeskPro was slow and confusing. It's the opposite - the admin interface is pretty solid while the user interface was a lot to wish for.

Switched From: DeskPRO

Reasons for Switching to Jira: I have been using it for 6 years at different companies so it was the most comfortable choice to make.

• Reviewed on 2020/10/12
Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Security Engineer
Computer Software, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/09/27

"Enterprise Task Management"

Comments: Jira is a strong, industry-standard project management and task tracking service that is flexible enough to allow different types of teams (software, legal, IT, etc.) to work on the same platform.

Pros: Jira has a strong SaaS-based offering that makes the administration and operation of the product simple and easy. The software has multiple options for viewing tasks (from project-task style to Kanban style) which allows different teams to be flexible and use different formats.

Cons: The difficulty of running the hosted version of the software with custom plugins is almost unacceptable for enterprise-grade software. The concept that enterprise project-management software requires dedicated IT assets to service and maintenance increases the overhead of the software to unacceptable levels. If a deployment requires a host, non-SaaS version of the software with custom plugins, reconsider.

Alternatives Considered: Asana and monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Jira: Trello was currently in use and another Atlassian product. The overhead of Trello and the lack of integration with different partner services made it a much less compelling purchase to continue to make.

Switched From: Trello

Reasons for Switching to Jira: While monday.com and Asana are strong contenders, the ecosystem around Jira and strong integrations platform make the Atlassian ecosystem more compelling.

• Reviewed on 2020/09/27
Rachel C.
Project Coordinator & Traffic Manager
  • Reviewed on 2020/09/21

"Great for time tracking and task management, but some functionality is overly complicated."

Comments: As a project coordinator, I use Jira daily in a project management aspect, matching our planned work to progress completed by our teams. I maintain an overhead view of in-flight tasks and projects, and compare this data to outside sources we use for resource management, capacity to contract, etc. My most frequently used elements are a custom KanBan board which shows all in-flight, assigned issues for the entire company; as well as Tempo time tracking software and the reports tool.

Pros: I love the KabBan task view, our company uses this every morning for a company-wide standup meeting. We have set up a customized board with cards that display budget/due date/time spent/etc. and it has been invaluable to us during COVID-19, as we are all working from home and need to stay connected.
Jira's time logging via Tempo has some buggy elements, but has been absolutely crucial in maintaining a clear view of task progress and budget maintenance. The time logging tools are incredibly reliable and allow the perfect amount of editing control by both administrators and users.

Cons: It is a big pain not being able to assign more than one user to an issue at a time, especially when making Jira issues for meetings, as the purpose here is to provide an issue to log time against. It has also been difficult for our company to systematize and homogenize project structure, as there was such a large learning curve to Jira project setup, and we have a large number of open projects. The functionality between projects differs greatly, and I think a large part of this is due to complicated project setup and maintenance. While Jira is very developer-minded, and many of our developers like it, it seems a slightly less appropriate fit for our designers/strategists and project management team. I also lack the ability to export some reports I need, for example a clear Estimates versus Actuals report in CSV form.

• Reviewed on 2020/09/21
Jon B.
Computer Software, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/06/25

"The industry standard for managing the Software Development Lifecycle"

Comments: I've used everything from Excel spreadsheets to MS Access to MS Project and I find that JIRA is the best bang for the buck when managing our SDLC.

Pros: We use JIRA online and it's dead simple to create and manage complex tasks. I love the ability to integrate with great packages like Confluence (which is SOOOO much better than Slack!).

Cons: Getting new employees up to speed on using the software is more time consuming that it should be. I'd prefer a more intuitive UI.

Alternatives Considered: Microsoft Project

Reasons for Choosing Jira: JIRA matches our software development process (which changed from Waterfall to Agile over time).

Switched From: Microsoft Project

Reasons for Switching to Jira: JIRA matches our software development process (which changed from Waterfall to Agile over time). I also like the flexibility hosted JIRA online gives us to add/administer users and tickets from anywhere.

• Reviewed on 2020/06/25
Tigran H.
Developer
  • Reviewed on 2020/03/05

"The most Advanced Managment Software"

Comments: Overall this is the great software for Product-process management and for issue tracking.

Pros: Firstly Jira is the most advanced task management software in my opinion. It has tons of valuable features for issue tracking, has interfaces like scrum, kanban and etc. It has simple mode for an starting projects and very advanced for more complex projects. One of the great things it is the editable everything e.x statuses which helps to my my team to do process more likly.

Cons: Using the Jira API it has little drawbacks for example complex documentation. It does not have major language libraries and sometimes the the API is not stabile.

Alternatives Considered: Pivotal Tracker and Trello

Reasons for Choosing Jira: I can manage multiple teams in a single UI very easy

Switched From: Pivotal Tracker

Reasons for Switching to Jira: I wrote signup with Jira because it more popular than others.

• Reviewed on 2020/03/05
Derek F.
Principal Engineer
Media Production, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/24

"Using Jira Software and Service Desk"

Comments: We have been using Jira (and Confluence) for over 10 years. We currently have over 500 projects in Jira with a user base around 2000. We do agile web and app software development and run a support desk with kanban. Each team has their own projects with their own specific needs, from workflows, custom fields, permissions, and notifications. We do not use the cloud product, but a 3rd party, hosted, server version.

Pros: Extensibility. Jira really can be all things to all users. There are so many business workflow processes that we have implemented and all in Jira: advanced software development, workflows for processing contracts and invoices, and support work with incidents and service requests with approvals. Lastly, with the large dev community and a large pool of app add-ons, we are confident we could extend Jira to be what we need it to be.

Cons: If you don't understand the principles of Agile software development, there will be parts of using Jira that will be foreign to you and will likely go unused. There is a steep learning curve on the administration-side. With so many functions and features, it can be difficult to know all of your options. The "schemes" that power the project administration can also make it difficult to troubleshoot your setup.

Alternatives Considered: Bugzilla

Reasons for Choosing Jira: Jira is created for the purpose we needed, whereas Sharepoint was being used because we were already paying for it. Reporting was lacking in Sharepoint and everytime we wanted to make a small change, we would have to use developer time.

Switched From: Microsoft SharePoint

Reasons for Switching to Jira: We liked Jira's look and feel and ease of setup and use.

• Reviewed on 2020/02/24
Senthilkumar N.
Senthilkumar N.
Test and tools specialist
Information Technology & Services, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/17

"Effective Agile business project board"

Comments: We used JIRA for agile development and testing projects for tracking status. Multiple scrum and agile masters used JIRA, resulted effective outcomes, tracking in a easy way and watch out without a delivery miss. Creating sub tasks within task lead to deep level of monitoring work items, given confident to manage the task items. We have used user stories, back logs, mini sprints, daily hour stand up calls which given target throughput accurately. Used JIRA in the form of test cases, defects, change request types, requirement analysis - all forms of software test and development life cycle along with multiple development tools like dotnet, GitHub, etc.,

Pros: Couple of features below that I really admired the most-Mobile version of Jira board, colorful status tracking with accurate percentage, effective customized workflow modal, quick peek view of tasks in dashboard, search option for any filter, quick catch for getting user by using '@', easy query handling and filters, easier mode of cloning tasks, linking items and referencing, multiple built in report types like bar chart, pie charts, etc., Kanban & Agile flexi boards, vast of plugin support like git-hub, git bucket, zendesk, etc., From the admin point - easy configuration of development tools dotnet, configuring mailing options, deep level view of audit logs, watch list for issues.Couple of features below that I really admired the most-Mobile version of Jira board, colorful status tracking with accurate percentage, effective customized workflow modal, quick peek view of tasks in dashboard, search option for any filter, quick catch for getting user by using '@', easy query handling and filters, easier mode of cloning tasks, linking items and referencing, multiple built in report types like bar chart, pie charts, etc., Kanban & Agile flexi boards, vast of plugin support like git-hub, git bucket, zendesk, etc., From the admin point - easy configuration of development tools dotnet, configuring mailing options, deep level view of audit logs, watch list for issues.

Cons: Sometimes I feel, the JIRA GUI is clumsy to have many things in dashboard, other than that I do not see any specific negative factors to hate JIRA, and it depends on how we use the features for projects.

• Reviewed on 2020/01/17
Bennar Z.
Bennar Z.
Software Engineer
Computer Software, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/11

"Jira for test management"

Comments: As a QA in the team, our project is fully customised for tests, and Jira with Xray so far provides the best test management tool in the market. It makes life way easier, it is better than Zephyr and of course much better than excel sheets, which saves time, energy and money for us as testers and for the project.

Pros: The organisation of tests and the variety of the issue types for testing (Features ,Test cases, Test sets, Test executions, Test plan, bug...)
The ability to track the executions of tests and bugs
Great adaptability with Gherkin and Cucumber
It goes perfectly with ISTQB standards for testing
Perfect for both Scrum and Kanban users
The great boards and views provided by Jira (followup dashboards, sprint board, ..)
The ability to add Xray or Zephir or whatever test plugin that suits you

Cons: Jira users must receive a training before starting to use the software since it can be a little complex to use the software for the first time
For testers you cannot execute the same test case more than once in the same test execution
It gets more and more difficult when end to end testing multiple applications at the same time

• Reviewed on 2019/12/11
Julian X.
Julian X.
Solution Architect
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/08

"Go Agile with JIRA!"

Comments: Jira is very easy to use from the user perspective, as well as operating it from the Admin perspective. Overall I personally suggest this product, although its price not being very welcoming, it's definitely worth the money! If you're a very large organization you definitely will want to try Jira.

Pros: Jira is a very good platform for organizing your team and projects using Agile/Scrum or Agile/Kanban. Whichever option you will choose you are covered! With its extensible platform through plugins you will never get tired of Jira. The installation is pretty much straightforward and with latest versions you can also make it HA, for instance on AWS, quite easily.

Cons: Although the product is very mature, feels also like a big giant monolith although its plugin architecture. Also, plugins are too much expensive for just simple features. There should be much control from the Atlassian Marketplace, which should follow more an App Store logic like Apple's or Google's one.

Alternatives Considered: Blossom, Pivotal Tracker and Trello

Reasons for Switching to Jira: Jira is way more famous and most of the Agile coaches working in the field, are already aware on how to use and customize it, based to their needs.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/08
Vedarth K.
Tech Lead
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/26

"good tool for project management"

Comments: Collaboration of our team has improved after we started using Jira, the tools helps in planning and identifying gaps while we develop features. The mobile application is really good and one can get work done from mobile app as well. Overall Jira suites our needs.

Pros: Jira is very flexible and can be used for different use cases, eg: project management, issue tracker, road maps etc.
It is quite easy to configure compared to other generic project management tools.

Cons: The transition from old user interface to new one, it is very confusing, the UI is not consistent when we visit URLs from email notifications.
Compared to other generic tools, Jira is quite easy but still it is not easy to setup, it takes quite a few days to configure the system as per needs. It would be great if there were boilerplate templates.

Alternatives Considered: YouTrack

Reasons for Choosing Jira: Pivotal tracker is very specific for project management, we needed a customisable product which we can use with our existing workflows.

Switched From: Pivotal Tracker

Reasons for Switching to Jira: JIRA was easy to configure and had all the plugins we needed, it was just plug and play.

Shaffick J.
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/26

"Jira...the best out there"

Comments: The overall exprience has been HIGHLY positive. Jira is the go to software for project planning and coupled with Jira Service Desk and Confluence (which we use at the moment), it is a very truly powerful piece of software. I have tried other ones, but always came back to Jira due to it's widespread acceptance and ease of use.

Pros: Jira is highly customisable, and also has plugins. It allows you to monitor your projects and provided granulated access to individuals. You (or your admin) can set roles for the project and associates those roles to certain activities and then associate the roles even further to individuals. You can organize your tickets in sprints and releases as well as monitor workload and task assignment to your team during sprints (or whatever other form of software delivery you wish to choose).

Cons: Pricing model. Currently, you have a choice of server vs cloud setup. If you have a team that can maintain the server instance, I'd recommend going to server because you have a lot more plugins you can use on server and you can set it up the way you want. The best thing is the licenses are a one-time cost, as opposed to lower, but monthly and forever costs on the cloud portion. The other thing that is to be considered is that the plugins you choose need to have the same level of range for hte user count. i.e if your jira is for 101-250 users, all your plugins will need a license level of the same range, i.e 101-250 users. Something to consider if you are thinking about moving to Jira.

Marc G.
Product Manager
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/28

"Flexible but not at all fun"

Comments: Originally we wanted Jira to be the place for Product and Development. But we soon realised that we needed a separate app for the product team instead. So now the product team work outside Jira and only when it's ready for Development will a ticket get created and planned in the backlog ready for a sprint. Jira helps the Product Manager to know the status of features, bugs and tasks and allows the development team to ask questions relating to the ticket in the comment section. That way there is full visibility of the discussions for future reference.

Pros: The biggest strength that Jira has to offer is how customisable the app is. We're forever fine tuning how how development flows are setup and I've never run into an issue where what we wanted to achieve could not be possible. The workflow editor is pretty straight forward once you figure out how to map these to specific projects and features. It also has a mammoth number of apps that can integrate with it, which can greatly help simplify your organisations stack. We use a bunch of apps that connect to Jira such as Slack and Git. The mobile app is pretty good and more simple to use. There's also a new iOS app that you can run on a mac that seems to be a slightly faster and more user friendly version. However, I haven't quite worked out how to tailor the notifications. The search is very powerful!

Cons: It is very slow to load pages and jump between stories. When using this on a daily basis it really gets annoying. When we need to change a setting it's hard to work out where to go. I have to say I've never seen another app quite like Jira which has so many different places to go to in order to change very similar settings. If someone accidentally creates a ticket with the wrong type the only way to change it is to Move the ticket. And I can't seem to change the status of the ticket at the same time. So often an Open bug ticket becomes an Open feature ticket, which really should still be in Draft.

Alternatives Considered: Trello

Reasons for Choosing Jira: We hired a new Head of Development who encouraged us to make the switch as Jira had better reporting/time tracking features.

Switched From: Pivotal Tracker

Reasons for Switching to Jira: Although it was more simple to use it didn't have the time tracking and reporting features we needed.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/28
Aaron R.
CTO
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/25

"Powerful, enterprise software that might be more than you need"

Comments: We use Jira as a kanban/agile project management tool in software development. The workflow is well understood by most developers and onboarding new team members into our system is a breeze. It is good at tracking projects and managing sprints.

Pros: As an SDLC management tool it excels. It's designed from the ground up for tracking user stories, tasks, epics, sprints, etc. in large organizations. It is excellent for cross functional team collaboration and really shines in a mature environment that doesn't change frequently or quickly. It is continuously improving and it is obvious that the JIRA team is very proactive and dedicated to staying ahead of the competition in features and services.

Cons: It is overkill for smaller teams or products that are very early in their life. When projects and teams are very dynamic, Jira projects become bloated, cumbersome, and fragmented. This product really is suited for larger, mature organizations that already have strong procedural discipline and rather monolithic approval/decision making. I know it's supporting agile methodology but really it's rigidness is more aligned with waterfall type management.

Alternatives Considered: VersionOne

Reasons for Choosing Jira: Rally was slow and outdated, many PM's complained about lack of features and cumbersome set-up.

Switched From: Rally

Reasons for Switching to Jira: Feature set, confluence integration, pricing model

• Reviewed on 2019/09/25
Marketing Systems and Web Developer Specialist
Financial Services, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/06/20

"Perfect Combination of Customizable, Detail-Oriented, and Easy to Use"

Pros: I love JIRA. I use it professionally and personally. Even though it is primarily a task manager for software development, I have found that it is flexible enough to be used for all sorts of projects. It is amazing how customizable it is; you can configure your project settings to your already existing workflow, whatever it may be. While the initial setup can be time consuming, once you have your settings configured, using the tool is a breeze. It takes seconds to create tasks, start springs, evaluate progress, etc. I find that this makes JIRA standout from other task managers. In most cases, if the software allows for detail-oriented task management the process of inputting and tracking the tasks themselves is cumbersome. Entering and tracking tasks should not have to be another time-consuming task! The JIRA web application is also excellent, making it easy to enter or track tasks on-the-go.

Cons: I think there is a lot of potential with Jira's NextGen projects, however, the software rollout has been uneven and often not well documented. I wish this process would have been better thought out to make transitioning to NextGen projects smoother.

• Reviewed on 2019/06/20
Lead Engineer
Information Technology & Services, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/11

"JIRA- Easy to Plan, Track & Release Project."

Comments: Overall, experience with JIRA is just awesome.
Simple tool to maintain the team's effort and Project's status on a single page, Project boards.
Would blindly recommend JIRA for simple and complex Agile projects.
Happy Project Tracking :)

Pros: I have been working on an Agile Project and I would say this is the best tool for the below reasons,
* Better visualization of the project roadmap for the team.
*Customizable options, Kanban and Scrum boards that can be modified as per the project and fields to be displayed, columns on board for the flow of tickets, etc..
* Easy task allocation and tracking, from both Manger's and team members view.
* Allows the user to create/edit respective items, for example making file and screenshot attachments just a click away.
* Integration with other apps used by the project is simple. Namely apps like TestRail & Confluence.
* Best part is the backlog, which helps to create/track ticket then and there when required and work on it in future.
* Viewing logs is easy as every action is tracked.
* Easy filtering options and report generation for project statuses.
* Filter out tickets release-wise, helpful for regression.

Cons: For the simplicity of the application, I could hardly think of any major negative points.
I faced this situation so just sharing it. If the team member is released from a project he/she has no option to request via.JIRA to dissociate from the Project Board/unsubscribe from getting emails related to the ex-project. Inbox gets loaded with all the comments and action performed by the ex-team members.

• Reviewed on 2019/04/11
Project Manager - Business Intelligence and Campaigns
Philanthropy, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/19

"The "Ticket or No Ticket" Debate"

Comments: It took time to get buy-in from the entire IT department to fully utilize JIRA. However, now that the whole department is all-in, JIRA has truly made our work effort much easier. We now have internal business partners who utilize JIRA to review work status, set priorities, and create new tickets when issues/upgrades present themselves. With an organization our size, I can't imagine not utilizing something like JIRA...not sure how we did it all in the past.

Pros: The best part about JIRA is the ability to keep track of all work being done via tickets. I love that JIRA works for all kinds of styles of work. We work within an Agile environment, with some teams using Scrum and other teams using Kanban. No matter how the team is structured, they utilize JIRA tickets. This is great because there is a single repository for all work being done and we can easily search for tickets across all the different teams. The use of Epics vs. Stories is very easy too. We can keep track of what tickets belong to which effort with ease and show the progress of work through the tickets. We can also easily maintain a backlog of tickets. If two separate people submit a similar ticket (or at least two tickets that reference the same work effort), we can combine those tickets easily so that we aren't feeling overwhelmed with more tickets than actual work.

Cons: The biggest debate among our team members is when it is necessary to create a ticket. JIRA has created a culture of needing to log every little thing, even if it takes just a moment to complete the work. Sometimes, it takes longer to create the ticket than to complete the task at hand. That tells me there is too much reliance on JIRA to report work completed. It causes some in management to show that their department is succeeding simply by the number of tickets completed. But the tickets don't tell the whole story, especially because there isn't a time component to those tickets being completed.

• Reviewed on 2019/03/19
Anita R.
Internet, 201-500 Employees
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/05

"A project manager’s dream"

Comments: A very strong tool for development projects, which covers so much more than just project management. Thanks to Jira, you can track issues over the whole development life cycle. Entire project layout is possible with infinite iterations, including planning and backlogs. The variety of collaboration tools involved (like comments) is unmatched by all other tools I’ve used. The project progress is easily tracked, plus you can track then across releases. Jira offers full reports on both progress and performance.

Pros: One of the best features I’ve found in Jira is the Workflow editor – I’ve never seen anything like it despite my extensive experience. Some people would say it’s not even that important, however, for growing businesses it’s something you can’t do without. Lots of task tracking is needed all at once, as you can never predict what necessities will arise in a growing company. Jira provides great help with all these issues. Sprints can be structured across multiple tandem-working teams, taking into account their wishes and preferences – either for traditional setups or for newer ones.

Cons: Honestly, one thing that was really off-putting for me was the impressively complex layout. The project list is simply huge, and you have to take some time to grasp the navigation and search features. Perhaps, in the next update the developer needs to add the possibility to tag or somehow categorize or classify projects more clearly to make them easily searchable. Otherwise, it takes a bit too much time. The dashboard is simple, but I don’t much like the visualization for reports. You also can’t assign tickets to several people at the same time. Only the person who created the ticket has the authorization to close it, which is quite bothersome. You can’t create columns or tables, and notes exist only for text input. I would also like to see a feature where you can generate turnaround time for ticket closure in an automatic way using reports. Plus if you have a bad Internet connection, there are issues with loading contents (sometimes the loading even stops altogether).

• Source: GetApp