Cartoonish, but Poignant

Robert C.
Operations Manager
Computer Software, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall the workflow creates organic structures that aid in understanding complex topics and provide context to attach details to in subjectively relevant locations that contribute to knowledge retention. It creates the most organic-looking results among mind-mapping tools that I've considered. Being required to break down content so atomically forces the user to distill information to its essential components and consider its emergent structure from there. I find complex topics grow organically like colonies of bacteria across sphere surfaces. Thortspace has become my primary tool for learning any important topic. I have created publicly view-able spheres on diverse topics including tax liens and deed investing, blockchain fundamentals, advanced Matlab and Simulink programming for control systems engineering, and a verse-wise study of the Book of Psalms. Several of those maps would span unwieldy acreage in any less succinct mind-mapping tool.

Pros: Thortspace is the only mind-mapping software available with any 3D capabilities. It's really 2 1/2 D, mapping everything on spheres instead of flat pages. But spheres can be chained together in 3D to create clouds of related topics. Sacrifices were made to enable the paradigm. All content must be broken down into sub-tweet-sized "thorts", shown as text-laiden bubbles. Thorts are then categorized and organized into groups which are sticky blobs of thorts that can be rotated, re positioned, and titled. Paths can then be used to relate thorts or groups, or spheres. Categories and path types are entirely user-configurable. I've one set I use for computer science, and an entirely different set I use for Bible study. Thortspace has a "do" mode that presents groups of thorts as a list of lists. Its...there. I've little use for it personally. I find it looses the positional and relational context the information is built with. The "explore" mode has all of the navigation tools "think" mode does, but is read-only. It's useful for freeform review of a sphere's information. Thortspace also has a "present" mode. I often use it to blow people's minds when they're expecting death by PowerPoint in the conservatory. It allows for views of spheres to be sequenced instead of slides.

Cons: The user interface was designed by the psychology department, not the usual software engineering folk. Controls are all present and functional, but not where a sane user would expect to find them, nor is everything entirely labeled sensibly. "Search" for example really acts more like "File", switching among and managing your inventory of spheres. It all makes sense if you're willing to adopt a certain level of psychosis. The image handling features need some streamlining, but they are functional if you're willing to wrestle them. Specifically Thortspace imports image files into its available catalog, and then allows thorts to be painted from its image pallet. Managing the pallet is not intuitive. Pasting an image from the clipboard directly to a thort is a glaringly missing feature.

by Gooisoft on 2019/09/04

Thank you very much for reviewing Thortspace so thoroughly and both honestly and charitably.

We are working hard every day to make Thortspace better, and the encouragement of reviews like this make that task much more compelling.

What can you do with Thortspace?

Reviewed on 2019/07/31
Dasaratha R.
Professor
Higher Education, 5 001-10 000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: The software is easy to use, engaging, and looks good when shared in social media. The appearance of spheres on social media is a key factor that drives my use of Thortspace. The Thortspace team is responsive, and many ideas are shared by the user community.

Pros: It is a visually engaging software. I have experimented with many tools over the years, and use Thortspace for the following reasons: 1) the distinctive look of connected spheres, 2) how spheres look when shared on Facebook, Twitter etc., 3) support for multiple ways of categorizing same information, 4) selecting and organizing information into journeys for users. Unlike users who fill the sphere with many thorts, my preference is for a small number of thorts in a sphere. I like to include more text in groups rather than on individual thorts because it is more readable. I like to use Thortspace for storytelling. The point is that there are many ways to use Thortspace that are discovered over time. Thortspace user community on Facebook is a useful resource for discovering ways to use the software.

Cons: While I do not need bi-directional links for all uses, there are situations when I would have liked to have that functionality. I would like to be able to specify colors using codes rather than just selecting from a set of pre-defined colors. Finally, being able to edit thorts in web browser would be very useful in some applications that I would like to develop.

by Gooisoft on 2019/08/07

Thank you very much for reviewing Thortspace mindmap mind mapping software. That is very helpful and kind of you.

Thortspace Multi Uses

Reviewed on 2019/07/30
Janet T.
Educator
Primary/Secondary Education, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I started using Thortspace as I was looking for a mindmapping tool to use personally and in my work with children.
It is a platform full of wonderful surprises.

Pros: Thortspace is a great multi purpose platform. I have discovered lots of creative ways to use it including : creating space in my mind and feeling less overwhelmed by writing ideas in the thorts, typing in simple family menu plans created by my children, thus reducing family stress! dictating ideas for stories when out and about which allows for wider and deeper thinking working collaboratively on a book - chapters and random ideas shared presenting a talk about Growing Teenagers using the Journey facility
creating a story journey called Project Oak Leaf which had hyperlinks to a Youtube video and other relevant documents which I shared in a Primary School. The children loved the 3D display and the way the spheres could be linked together, in this more complex presentation.
mapping out a business start up idea for clarity and coordination capturing key points from shared conversations in a simple cluster The spheres can saved, published, shared and embedded into websites.

Cons: It takes time to get used to.
Fluency develops with practice.
It is best to begin with simple ideas and then build on the skills to create visually interesting and thortful arrays and stories.
There are short and simple training videos to assist

by Gooisoft on 2019/07/31

Thank you very much for reviewing Thortspace ! :-)

An excellent mind map's tool

Reviewed on 2019/10/09
Grace B.
Senior Consultant
Oil & Energy, 10 001+ Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: In my company helps me train new employees in the marketing sector, allows me to build a 3D mapping of all the study modules I must teach, is very easy to use and helps understand complex projects to see a general mapping of these.

Pros: Thortspace is an excellent mind map's tool. It has large buttons and the cursor, allows you to easily arm and position the spheres. It is far superior to other mind mapping software. I like to be able to zoom in when I want the structural view to the global view to see the whole image and be able to study it better before any modification.

Cons: There's nothing I don't like, it's a very useful and intuitive software.

Amazing projects with thortspace..

Reviewed on 2019/12/06
Lawyer
Legal Services, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: When i have met first time with thortspace, i was in shock. I had never seen a software like this in order to think about a complicated issue. When i was using i started to find some good solutions and then i saw that it is much more than solving a problem. Can be created everything. I love to see everthing that i think in thortspace spheres. It is like my mind is on the screen. And also it is possible to use on mobile.

Cons: I love thortspace. Till now it is already more than one year i am using it and i have never get a problem.

by Gooisoft on 2019/12/09

Thanks for the review. I hope Thortspace continues to provide value.

Mindmapping but different

Reviewed on 2019/09/06
Management Consulting, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: I've used various versions of mind mapping before but Thortspace certainly is in a league of it's own. The interface initially feels a bit funny, specifically the large buttons and cursor, but then you kind of get hooked into creating new spheres and all. It certainly feels easier than your average Mindmapping tool.
If you don't mind not linking to your co-workers, it's free!
I can see how team collaboration would become really powerful this way.

Cons: The interface can feel a little dated and clunky
It would be great if the actions bit was integrated with some common tools such as Asana or Slack.
This would be incredibly powerful if the software could assist in fact finding based on the comments one puts in (not actually a lack but just a great future addition)

by Gooisoft on 2019/09/10

This is a tremendously helpful review from someone who has obviously "been around, you know" and yet managed to keep an open mind in respect of new possibilities of what software could be or what software could become in the future.

Every day we are working to make Thortspace simpler, less annoying, more robust and more complete. Thank you very much for your encouragement with that.

An awesome presentation tool.

Reviewed on 2019/07/29
Michael J.
founder
E-Learning, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It solve the problem of communicating that we have global reach in an informal network. I haven't found another tool that allows people to see the details of any franchise and still be able to see the global picture. That is possible by rotating and zooming.

Pros: The three dimensional appearing interface. The ability to draw connections between spheres and to create spheres with edges touching to group. I really like the structural view to get close in and the global view to see the whole picture.

Cons: The fact that it still doesn't run Chrome.I have to depend on members of my team to create the TS. That is not a real disadvantage as we work as a team with different specialties. My focus is bus development.

by Gooisoft on 2019/07/31

Very kind of you to write a review of Thortspace. Thank you very much.

Thortspace review

Reviewed on 2019/07/23
Edward H.
founder
Venture Capital & Private Equity, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Absolutely brilliant - a best in the world for collaborative interactive multi-lingual visual thinking in 3D.

Pros: Easy and quick to use. Mind-engaging. Brilliant for collaboration.

Cons: Navigation can take a little getting used to.

by Gooisoft on 2019/07/25

Thank you !

3D Mind Mapping Makes “Thinking” Easy

Reviewed on 2019/12/01
Caroline E.
Registered Nurse
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I use Thortspace in my daily life to organize and visualize my thoughts, to do lists, and more. This allows me to manage what would otherwise be an overwhelming amount of information in my head, especially as someone who struggles with ADHD.

Pros: As someone that is easily distracted and racing, sporadic thoughts- mind mapping is a huge lifesaver when organizing thoughts and to do lists. Between work, school, and home life- being able to map and visualize (especially in “3D”) my thoughts makes managing everything seem much less daunting.

Cons: The user interface is somewhat older looking and could use a facelift. On the mobile app, it can be somewhat overwhelming learning how to use the features and figuring out where to find where the features are in the app when first starting with the app.

by Gooisoft on 2019/12/02

Thank you for your very thorough, balanced and fair review.

Cool looking software!

Reviewed on 2019/08/04
Quinn M.
Musician
Music, Self Employed
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Trying the software, I find that it's really to get into right off the bat. It's really easy to organize my thoughts and they look great in this 3d environment which is a plus for presentability.

Cons: Not much I can complain about. The software did what I needed it to do.

by Gooisoft on 2019/08/06

Thank you very much for the review, and for trying out the Thortspace App.

We are continually working to improve Thortspace, so if you'd like to follow along with our progress you are very welcome to join the Thortspace group on facebook or follow us on Twitter... Follow the social media links from our website or Medium.com publication.

Collaboration was never so easy!

Reviewed on 2019/10/08
Arbaz N.
DG Lead
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: The multiple features that the tool offers that drive innovation as well as revenue growth within the organization. The 3D modelling is top class and allows multiple stakeholders to get involved.

Cons: The pricing is a little on the higher side. Also, the platform does become buggy at times due to certain server issues.

by Gooisoft on 2019/10/10

Thanks for reviewing Thortspace.

Good product

Reviewed on 2019/10/24
Karen S.
Customer Service Agent Assistant
Consumer Services, 1 001-5 000 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It is a great tool to use when you are trying to get a presentation done. It gathers all your thoughts and information together and sorts in groups that make sense.

Pros: I loved how it gathers information for me. When I was trying to put a presentation together.

Cons: I don't think there was anything that I didn't like about it