CosmoLex Reviews

by Tabs3 Software

Filter by:

• Overall

About CosmoLex

CosmoLex is the only cloud-based, total practice management, billing, and accounting system (no QuickBooks® required).

Learn more about CosmoLex

Jennifer K.

"Best Attorney Software"

Comments: Great program with easy customer support (even a chat feature). The prior legal platform software we used constantly had issues with an expensive yearly update that was required. Cosmolex is cloud-based so no need for updates. there is no need for an additional bookkeeping program for your office expenses as the program will handle that along with your trust accounting.

Pros: I like that you can handle your everyday office accounting in the same program as your trust accounting. There is no need for a separate program. Our clients love the client portal and they can upload documents directly to the client portal instead of having to bring them into our physical office. Cosmolex keeps each of your client files organized where you can save all of your emails, documents, and share the ones that you need to share with your clients through the client portal.

Cons: We would like to be able to make one bulk deposit at one time instead of having to go through by individual dates and make individual deposits.

Talon R.
Legal Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/07/28

"Switched from PC Law in December of 2019 and never looked back."

Pros: Integration with other software is key to its value.

Cons: As they roll out new features, I sometimes encounter bugs. They've got a great response time and great customer service though when that happens.

• Reviewed on 2021/07/28
Kristen M.
Legal Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2021/04/29

"Best decision I made for my business"

Pros: What I like the most is that virtually everything is in one program and it is super easy to use. It was a smooth transition to migrate files and data over (CosmoLex took this over for me)

Cons: Used to have a feature where you could sort documents according to tabs (such as date modified, name, etc). This feature was disabled which makes it difficult to find documents within a folder, particularly if there is a high volume of documents. Please bring this feature back!

• Reviewed on 2021/04/29
Sarah V.
  • Reviewed on 2017/10/09

"They are always innovating"

Pros: I wanted something that combined both the accounting and matter management in one place. What I like the most is the Customer Support. If I'm having a problem with taking a payment from a client, I can get on the phone and have them resolve the issue without delaying the client. I also like that they constantly ask us what other new functions we'd like to see. They are always innovating, and don't "drop" you once they've got your payment.

Cons: I wish it would remember matter names and auto-populate that when adding a new client--then i'd like to be able to run reports based on the kinds of matters. I'd also like to be able to bulk mail using our clients' mailing addresses. Finally, I'd like to be able to add in court dates to the matters so that when I run reports, I can filter and organize them according to court dates, rather than client name. I like Cosmolex, but it's clearly set up for civil or other slow-moving firms, and not for traffic, which adds up to 10 clients a day and has many matter subject options.

Dean S.
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/14

"Integrated law firm software"

Comments: This is a great replacement for PCLaw, with none of the installation issues.

Pros: Cloud-based, good interface. The program integrates with OneDrive and other vendors' products

Cons: Client disbursements don't allow for entering an item list - you have to write it out in one paragraph in the comments box.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/14
Christine F.
Attorney /Owner
  • Reviewed on 2018/10/10

"Easy and Complete Legal Accounting Software."

Comments: I am collecting fees and costs more easily and without having to see the client or talk to them on the phone. They can pay directly through their invoice or reminder emails sent by the program. Same for the trust retainer. Links are easily sent to clients to deposit directly to trust. The program makes the accounting entries for you on in the general ledger and the bank accounts.

Pros: It does both front and back office capabilities. It is easy to access everything about a client. All time, billing and any other information needing to be entered is in one software application. No need to have Quick Books and some other legal software. Invoicing is easy to facilitate and clients can pay through links on the invoices. This program interacts with Microsoft Office, Outlook, Google, LawPay and many others.

Cons: There are some reporting functions that are not yet available. This program still does not have a function for collecting Judgments on behalf of clients.

• Reviewed on 2018/10/10
Samantha E.
Partner/Owner
Legal Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/03

"Duped by Cosmolex - Only Cost-Efficient if Solo"

Comments: I initially recommended CosmoLex because even with the lack of integrations, I found it user friendly. And I still would recommend it to solos who know they will never expand because of ease of use. But if you are a solo who aspires to add staff, a larger or growing law firm, or someone who uses an outside accounting firm, I would say to just use Quickbooks. Transferring after a year because CosmoLex decided to jack up the price considerably is such a hassle, and we want to continue to grow without continuing to worry that we'll outgrow CosmoLex's functionality or that the price will continue to unexpectedly go up. Additionally, our accountant struggled with it, and urged the switch to Quickbooks.

Pros: I actually liked this software for the most part in my first year of use. There were a lot of bugs. For instance, the email linking doesn't actually do anything, you have to manually sort and link emails. This is disappointing because it was basically sold to me as something that you could customize by adding rules like emails from x email address should be sorted to x client. But I otherwise found it fairly easy to use and I liked the functionality of invoicing, etc.

Cons: I am giving this a poor review for the following reasons: (1) Cosmolex is really only price-efficient if you are a solo attorney. When I added a staff member and tried to add another timekeeper, I was told my price was going to effectively double!! As a result I am now trying to switch programs which is a huge headache, but the added costs made Quickbooks actually cheaper and Quickbooks has way more integrations and a payroll feature. (Plus you can find email archiving for FREE if you are a small business that takes care of that functionality for Cosmolex.) (2) They were not upfront about the pricing issues. I was told that the reason it cost money to add this timekeeper was because my previous timekeeper had been "grandfathered in" and that I should have learned about this pretty drastic change in an "update section." First, why wouldn't I have received this in an email? Changing the price and price structure of a product should require actual notice! Second, when I chatted someone to find this "update" they could not find it or direct me to it. (3) The lack of integrations (and the integrations they are getting) is really problematic. For instance, they now integrate with Net Documents, which is pretty expensive. For a product that must be targeted almost exclusively to solos as a result of the pricing structure, that doesn't make sense. Why not integrate with Box or Dropbox? And to not have a payroll integration or to work with existing payroll companies is difficult.

by CosmoLex on 2019/09/07

Hi Samantha,
We're sorry to hear that your experience with CosmoLex was poor, but we appreciate your feedback. Please let us know if we can be of any help during your transition process. We regret that our support and training teams were unable to show you our long-standing integrations with Box, DropBox, OneDrive, etc. In regard to our pricing, our customer base ranges from solos to 50-lawyer firms. We respect your opinion and will pass your comments for improvements on to our Client Communications department. We wish you the best.

• Reviewed on 2019/09/03
Laura D.
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/02

"Love this product"

Comments: Love it

Pros: I like the Ease of use and customer service.

Cons: This product is not widely used by accountants.

by CosmoLex on 2020/02/12

Thank you for leaving your review, Laura! Your honest feedback is invaluable to the continued development of our product.

• Reviewed on 2020/01/02
Yaakov E.
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/14

"Great leap forward"

Comments: Saves time, and allows use seamlessly from work, home, and mobile

Pros: A great leap forward from our previous (non-cloud) software.

Cons: None. It's at least as good as the prior software in every way.

• Reviewed on 2020/10/14
Gina F.
  • Reviewed on 2017/06/10

"I cannot imagine running my practice without this software."

Comments: Makes day to day billing and invoicing so simple and easy. I also like how you have everything in one place software wise.

Pros: The ease in creating invoices and time keeping features. When I first started looking for a software this was the only one with the integrated quick books features.

Cons: The software doesn't always fit to my specific billing needs. Also it can be tricky to go back and edit past invoices.

• Reviewed on 2017/06/10
Erin P.
  • Reviewed on 2019/05/31

"Truly a “one-stop shop”"

Comments: I began my law practice with CosmoLex so I wouldn’t have to start on paper then transition to law practice management software. CosmoLex gives me the comfort of knowing that I have all facets of my law practice organized in one place.

Pros: I chose CosmoLex over other law practice management solutions because it is truly a “one-stop shop” for all of your law practice needs. I specifically like the integration with LawPay, and it’s built in accounting functionality.

Cons: Maybe I don’t understand how the DropBox sync feature works, but I thought it was automatic, not manual.

by CosmoLex on 2019/08/12

Thank you, Erin! We're glad you were able to start your practice with us! If you ever have any trouble with any of our features or integrations, please don't hesitate to reach out to our support team for help.

Ramona L.

"Cosmos Lex Review"

Pros: We love the dashboard and the ability to use the app on my phone.

Cons: I would like to be able pay bills each month directly from Operating retainer once the bill is finalized.

Rachel P.
  • Reviewed on 2019/01/31

"I enjoy the ease of capturing my time"

Pros: I enjoy the ease of capturing my time to ensure that I get paid for the work that I do.

Cons: I know that there are many features available on Cosmolex that aren't intuitive to use so I'm not getting everything I'm paying for because I don't know how to use it.

• Reviewed on 2019/01/31
Beth M.
  • Reviewed on 2019/01/21

"Wonderful. From the beginning it fit our needs as a law firm."

Comments: We are small but have many cases to track. Cosmolex makes this easy.

Pros: I liked that it was set up for a Law Firm. Law Firms bill differently than a normal business and Quick Books could not make this happen.

Cons: Nothing.

• Reviewed on 2019/01/21
Trudy H.
Paralegal
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/15

"Increased productivity"

Comments: positive, we have increases productivity

Pros: Easy to Use
variety of reports
cross referencing clients and conflicts of interest

Cons: can be difficult to find some reports
no way to track date of loss and statutes of limitation
takes a great deal of time to manage task lists

• Reviewed on 2019/12/15
Nevin B.
  • Reviewed on 2019/01/25

"Great, almost fantastic."

Comments: I few small downsides, but overall a great program that is well-worth the investment.

Pros: Integrated practice management & accounting. This makes trust accounting and billing very simple.

Cons: Some accounting functions, such as accounts payable, are a little clumsier than stand-alone accounting (like Quickbooks). The functionality for entering credit card transactions and especially recording credit card payment could be improved. I would like to have a calendar shortcut in the quick access toolbar in the top right of the screen.

• Reviewed on 2019/01/25
Mary N.
Partner
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/29

"Integration that is accessible to small firms."

Comments: Best practice management/accounting software our firm has used. Customer support is great.

Pros: Most software that meets small firm needs does not have fully integrated accounting and practice management software. Also, the secure client portal is a big draw.

Cons: How the calendar and email function. We are a Mac based office. I could not figure out a clean way to integrate our calendar into CosmoLex, so we don't use that function. Also, I feel like how email is filtered could be streamlined and simplified.

• Reviewed on 2019/03/29
Deborah R.
Deborah R.
Partner
  • Reviewed on 2017/10/09

"Cosmolex was an easy choice"

Pros: Cosmolex lets me have the bigger picture in one piece of software. I can easily see how my business is doing from the dashboard.

Cons: I would like to have a report that shows trends and exports to excel so I could create graph charts. It would also be nice to be able to produce an invoice showing the work put into a fixed fee matter.

Ida K.
Immigration Attorney
  • Reviewed on 2017/10/31

"This has been great."

Pros: It does proper legal trust accounting so I don't have to panic about billing hourly. Previously I didn't bill hourly at all due to fear so this has been great.

Cons: I don't believe I can bill for an initial trust deposit/retainer. This would be a good feature since I have to send a letter/email for the retainer instead which doesn't integrate with CosmoLex.

by CosmoLex on 2017/11/13

Hi Ida, Thanks so much for your feedback and suggestions. You are correct in that you cannot 'bill' for a trust retainer as bill payments result in income, however we do have a unique feature with our LawPay integration called "Online Trust Retainer Payment" Once your integration is set up you can send an email from CosmoLex requesting a trust retainer payment. They can even click on a link in the email and pay online, which results in your retainer amount updating in our system. If you are interested in learning more about this function,please let us know!

• Reviewed on 2017/10/31
Alexander C.
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/26

"It is extraordinarily easy to input time."

Comments: Positive. Being able to track my time is one of the most important parts of the job. Cosmolex has made that easy.

Pros: Cosmolex has a user friendly interface that allows me to track and enter my time throughout the day.

Cons: Not necessarily a critique, but there are almost too many features. I don't use a lot of them and it could make things confusing if i didn't already know what I'm doing.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/26
Garlan V.
  • Reviewed on 2019/05/31

"The software has certainly made it easier to keep track of all of what is going on"

Comments: Its connection with lawpay makes it easier to get paid!

Pros: All encompassing program makes managing my solo firm a breeze.

Cons: I would like to be able to review more breakdowns on income, costs, expenses, etc. on a dashboard like feature.

by CosmoLex on 2019/08/01

Thank you very much for your review, Garlan! It's great to hear that our solution is making it easier for you to keep track of everything - managing a firm by yourself is no easy feat!

Jackie G.
Jackie G.
  • Reviewed on 2018/12/21

"Trial period looks promising"

Pros: It has the basic needs for any law firm from document storage; workflows, time tracking and invoicing. Their selling point is that eliminates the need for quickbooks. So far the support has been great but I am in a demo stage in which they are trying to sell me the product.

Cons: While not having to pay for quickbooks is a bonus, I'm not sure that any accountant or bookkeeper would really want to adapt to a different softward as qb is the industry standard.

• Reviewed on 2018/12/21
Sam E.
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/26

"So far we have had a positive experience."

Comments: There are some things I would recommend to make it easier (for instance, allowing for creating rules for email sorting so that way if I get an email from a client's assistant--it also goes to the client's folder automatically rather than if it was just from the client himself).

Pros: I love the live bank feed--that saves me a lot of time in entering expenses and income. I also like the integrations with email and Lawpay and the ability to email invoices.

Cons: The livechat support is inconsistent. Sometimes the help is very good and quick and other times, I end up with someone who is taking a long time to respond and unable to help me with somewhat basic questions. I am really glad to have this option though.

• Reviewed on 2018/11/26
Eva L.
Associate

"Great!"

Pros: I like that it is on the web so I can access it anywhere

Cons: There are some customization limitations

Ryan H.
Ryan H.
Lead Counsel

"Streamlined Access Anywhere!"

Comments: It is enjoyable to work with, and has been an easy transition. The staff are friendly and helpful. While I haven't had much in the way of issues, any that I have were quickly resolved.

Pros: I was previously using PC Law, provided by LexisNexis, and had nothing but problems. I wanted more elegant software that I could access anywhere, with reliable data storage. CosmoLex is exactly that. It is cloud-based, which allows me to access it from court, home, or the office. It manages all of my billing and accounting, and is elegant to use. I am a huge fan!

Cons: I frankly don't have much of anything to offer in the way of complaints!