• Overall
    4.7/5
    4.3/5

About Postman

Manage all of your organization's APIs in Postman, with the industry's most complete API development environment.

Learn more about Postman

Alex T.
Front-End Developer
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/25

"THE Best Solution for Testing API Endpoints"

Pros: One feature that I absolutely loved about this software is the environment management functionality. This feature allows you to define variables that can be used throughout the software. I have set up specific environment variables to handle separate URL's for local development and live server development which has made testing each of the two incredibly easy by just switching to the specific environment. Another feature that has been great to have has been the GraphQL functionality that allows you to send GraphQL post requests without having to manually transform the entire request into JSON format. This feature is a HUGE time saver.

Cons: One thing that annoyed me about using this software is the slight learning curve involved. The software has so many "hidden" features that make your development life easier, but that is the main issue, it seems as though they bury them too deep to find. Once you figure everything out, the software is incredible, but I wish they made things slightly most easy to use for first time users.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/25
Software Engineer
Real Estate, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/08

"Best Rest API tool in the market"

Comments: My experience with Postman has been really smooth. It does have some hidden but really useful functionalities. But once you get to understand the product, you'd love it <3

Pros: I love all the features provided by postman to the developers community, starting from backend, frontend to QA :
- I can use it optimally to write tests for my Apis testing
- I can save my http requests, which can be imported later to be used with other Rest services.
- I can set environment based headers, credentials and basic auth details. I personally love this feature the most.
The software as a whole is easy to use. And it provides a whole lot of useful features when you are working with a team to provide Rest apis.

Cons: We as a team love the concept of using Postman, it has made all of our lives easier. No cons as of now which I can think of :)

• Reviewed on 2019/12/08
Support Analyst
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/20

"Very handy tool for web development testing"

Comments: Great. It has really helped our team collaborate and stay up to date with changes to third party and our own APIs.

Pros: As a support analyst, I'm constantly using Postman. Some of my top used features are sharing collections with other support users, exporting requests to cURL or other formats to send to third-party vendors, and session variables.

Cons: Some features can be very hard to find, I also have some unsolved issues with requests that do not work within Postman but do work with the cURL it generates.

• Reviewed on 2020/02/20
Software Tester
Computer Software, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/16

"Postman does everything a tool for API development needs to do and more!"

Comments: Postman is my tool of choice when working with APIs. It does offer most of the features one may need while also being easy to use and learn.

Pros: I am using the free version of Postman in my daily work as a software tester. It's the application I use for working with APIs and, for me, it offers most of the features I need while also being intuitive and having a pleasant UI.
Regarding REST services, it does offer the functionalities anyone would expect for running the APIs, nothing special here - it does what a software used for running webservices should do.
Postman stands out for me for the additional features it offers - posibilities to add multiple environments and variables based on those environments, a history tab with the requests and responses ran in the past, ability to write tests in app, ability to automatically run those tests (with some limitations for the free version), grouping collections under a workspace and then change through workspaces (in case there are multiple different projects a user has to work with), ability to export and share the collection and environment variables and possibility to run the tests within a CI system.
Even though I barely used it for other types of services, I know that Postman works with SOAP and GraphQL too.

Cons: I would say that Postman is in a weird place with the "Team Workspaces" for the free version. For this, they offer 25 different calls that can be registered within the team. In every situation I was in, this number was too low, even for the smallest projects I worked with. It was never useful to start working within a team workspace because we were always getting to the point where the older calls were deleted because we were exceeding the limit. After a few tries, I gave up completely on this feature. Personally, a limit to 50 would have been more useful - I can understand this is their business model and they offer payed alternatives, but in my opinion the "Team Workspace" feature is not usable in the state which is now.

• Reviewed on 2020/01/16
Senthamizhselvan E.
senior testing analyst
Insurance, 10 001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/03

"Easy tool for complex work "

Comments: Overall it’s good tool to access and use the tool and it helpful to achieve desired results in time

Pros: It’s simple way of using and customizing the postman for our needs. We can do lot of testing using just the tool itself

Cons: Need to have lot more help documents and flexibility to see the error log and sometime more options to automation

• Reviewed on 2019/12/03
Web Developer
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/12

"I can't believe I haven't found this before"

Comments: A must have for developers, test your APis consistently and say goodbye to cowboy coding. Postman is robust and easy to use, probably THE collaborative tool for API development.

Pros: Postman is plainly amazing! If you are developing an API or anything that's not heavily reliant on GUI you will need Postman in order to develop something that works. Postman allows you to test all your endpoints with a simple and intuitive GUI, you can send any kind of request, named parameters, etc and analyze the response. You can authorize before sending the request and run pre-request scripts as well, in general Postman made my life easier by simplifying one the programmers' musts: testing. Postman is rock solid and you should integrate it on your workflow.

Cons: The Windows client is heavy and if you don't have a good graphics card you will need to disable the gpu option with a environment variable, thankfully the answer was in their documentation so I could solve it easily. Besides the client itself I don't have major complaints about the product.

• Reviewed on 2020/02/12
Claudia L.
Tester
  • Reviewed on 2020/03/22

"Postman is an easy to use and robust tool to test APIs with a really affordable price"

Comments: In my work it is essential to use Postman to test any API and track its response, so that you can check that they are working correctly. Also, I can share the collection with my team, so they can make changes to the API. Since we used this application, our work has really been made easier and our productivity as a team has improved.

Pros: Postman is a fundamental tool for testing an API. I like it because it has support for multiple response types, for example JSON or XML. Also, it supports all kinds of requests like Get, Post or Delete. Another reason why I prefer Postman over other software is because I can create production or test environments. Also, it is available for Windows, Linux or Ubuntu, at a really affordable price.

Cons: Buying the paid version is almost mandatory as API sharing is very limited in the free version. I also find it unfortunate that WSDLs cannot be tested.

• Reviewed on 2020/03/22
Cauvery G.
Sr. QA Engineer
Computer Software, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/03/21

"Great Rest API tool"

Pros: Great API tool. Supports both rest and soap based api. Good for both for manual and automation of your APIs. Define need to checkout

Cons: Hmm. Cannot think of any issues. I use it daily. And only once in over 4 years saw little outage. But otherwise no issues at all.

• Reviewed on 2020/03/21
Daniel T.
Integration Architect
Computer Software, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/20

"For me, the best API test tool"

Comments: My overall experience with this tool is fantastic. Is the API test tool that I ever recommend to others.

Pros: It is a very easy and intuitive API test tool.
Has the possibility to save different test environments with creds, URLs, parameters, etc.
Helps to test different types of APIs with a lot of settings.
Permits extract the response in different formats.
And, with the "beta" capability, you can create an API easily to simulate endpoints and test calls from your systems.

Cons: At the moment, I and the people that I know are using this tool did not find problems or capabilities fault in it.

• Reviewed on 2020/01/20
Leonardo D.
Software Quality Analyst Itern
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/12

"Best tool to test API"

Comments: I have a great experience using Postman. I use it every day at work and I am able to receive and update the collections very easily between my work colleagues.

Pros: It is very reliable. There is an option to choose a theme and change its interface. I like how easily you can organize your collection and choose the environment. To import and export using collections using URL is also very positive.

Cons: The support to graphQL is still in beta phase. Once it's finished I believe it's going to be perfect to test graphQL services.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/12
Shyam K.
software engineer
Semiconductors, 10 001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/12

"Good tool for API testing"

Comments: Overall, we had a good experience with Postman. The only thing why we moved to Katalon Studio is there are few options that are licensed in Postman and free in Katalon Studio.

Pros: Easy to setup and use. We used it for testing APIs that we developed. We can test in multiple environments by giving the urls as variables. Easy to share with team as well

Cons: Some features are licensed. For startups, this feature may not be great. There are other tools like Katalon Studio which offers same automation service of API testing for free as open source.

• Reviewed on 2019/09/12
Business Analyst
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/25

"I am constantly finding new things that I can do with the application"

Comments: I love using Postman because if does exactly what I want it to do. I work with enough people that we are always finding new features and seeing how much more we can use this service for our company.

Pros: Where I work we have to take a lot of different language formats (HTML, Javascript, JSON and so forth) my preference is XML and not only will it convert the Language format, it also has an option to "Beautify" As long as you know what you are doing, Postman executes REST API's perfectly. You can set up your parameters, headers, text Bodies and even set up authorizations. I have dozens of calls saved so that it was remarkably easy to just run the API and it is good to go in seconds.

Cons: There are two things that I have found to be a challenge : 1. With large Response file bytes that come through, if can take a really long time to load and interact with the data. Postman can become sluggish and even non-responsive for longer periods of time. The fix is to set the bodies data to RAW and then it will run smooth, but by default, this option is not selected. 2. If you do not know what you are doing - this can feel not very user-friendly. There is a training section called "Bootcamp" but it told you what to do rather than what things are for. An example I have was I was trying to figure out what all of the different Methods produce but it would just tell me that the most common method is "GET" Just know that the training is more of a walkthrough rather than a roadmap.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/25
Test Analyst
Telecommunications, 10 001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/16

"Best Tool so far for quick tests using REST"

Comments: I normally use Postman and first step, not complete manual test for Backend and also before complete automation. For automation we used Java ( jive) code. For this pupose I can say that Postman is a very good solution. But I would like to see complex examples ( like a whole regression Suite) using postman and having TCs in cycles every 24 hours. Also I'd like to see good code examples so troubleshoot would be easier when I have failing TCs,

Pros: Easiness to use, sometimes I have tests that works only on Postman ( and not in SOAP UI for example) , possibility to automate test suing scripts, possibility to export and use variables on tests. This tool is similar to another ones but the difference is the number of people using it and some doubts can be quickly solved by googling it. It is easy and quick to automate test cases and create a Test Suite

Cons: Sometimes not so easy to find the solution for your "problem" and need to search on communities. They would provide a better help and manuals with examples and links on how to build the test case. It is common that I find the answer outside the site from Postman and not on the official one.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/16
Mehmet raşid G.
Software Engineer
Airlines/Aviation, 10 001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/28

"A very nice HTTP client for developers"

Comments: It helped me a lot during the software development and maintenance phases of projects.

Pros: I think the best part is that it is suitable for different kinds of roles in the IT industry. Whether you are a software engineer, business analyst or a test engineer it doesn't matter. The tool provides you tons of functionalities from creating automated tests to sharing your HTTP request collections with other colleagues. It also saves your previous requests and provides you historical access to these requests which can be useful.

Cons: When a new version is available and the one u use is deprecated a warning popup becomes visible indicating that the version is deprecated and the user must download the latest version from the website. It is good to inform the user about version changes but auto-update functionality would be really nice instead of directing the user to the website.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/28
Kalaiselvan K.
Integration Engineer
Information Technology & Services, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/23

"Postman Review"

Comments: Overall, this very good application for creating functional static test suits for REST interface.

Pros: Postman is an good application comes stand alone as well as plugin in google chrome for testing REST webservice interface effectively. We can have a collection(Separate project) for related group of API. we can export the collection easily and import in other postman application. we can even export as link and import in any postman. All the interfaces are synced to your email address used for sign in. you can open the same interface in any system with the same email id. Each requests fired is saved in the history and can be easily retrieved with search for any reference.

Cons: When you are using HTTPS interface, you need to adjust the settings for avoiding the SSL Issue. It has very less support to SOAP interface.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/23
Gareth N.
Web Developer
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/25

"Lost without it"

Comments: Postman gets the job done. It's updated with new features and fixes quite frequently and it's very reliable. It makes my day-to-day work life very easy and I wouldn't be able to work as productively without it.

Pros: Postman makes my life easier. I develop and work on API's every single day and that means I'm running Postman for hours on end. Besides writing tests, it's great to be able to hit my API endpoints, see the results and be able to diagnose them. The layout is intuitive, almost all the details regarding a request is easily viewable, it keeps a searchable history of every request and most importantly, it has dark mode.

Cons: I can't really fault Postman at anything, it provides all the functionality that I need. If anything, the UI might be a bit confusing for a new user but with time it becomes your go-to tool for API development.

• Reviewed on 2019/09/25
Lino M.
Automation Test Architect
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/16

"Postman"

Comments: Very good or powerful tool for simple and easy API testing

Pros: Postman has a very neat and simple UI which helps to easily use the product. Very easy to use Postman. It also support coding which helps to create API calls body more stable. Using Newman we can integrate Postman requests with other tools.

Cons: Newman could have made more simple. Also the the free version have very limited number of requests for a team.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/16
Luis miguel R.
Software Architect
Computer Software, 10 001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/30

"Postman is great tool for developers and QA teams."

Comments: I am a developer and I use Postman all the time. I work in a team that develops microservices, and the postman is great tool to test your services, it's lightweight and provides all that you need.

Pros: * Easy to install.
*It's super simple to use, you don't need to read any documentation.
* It has different ways to authenticate.
* You can save your most frequent requests and share them with other team members.
* You can even create scripts to do some API testing.
* It has chrome interceptor option, which is great when you are testing a complex system.

Cons: * Sometimes it takes too much time to load.
* It is difficult to manage your tabs when you have more than 10+ tabs open.
* It is difficult to track network traffic.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/30
Mike R.
Automation Engineer
Financial Services, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/05

"Lots of features for API testing"

Comments: Very favorable. I automate with a REST package with Robot Framework, but I've found that setting up automation runs driven by CSV files is quck and easy with Postman, plus some co-workers not entirely comfortable with code development can catch onto Postman, even with the javascript-like pre-request scripts and post-execution tests.

Pros: Good online resources, large user community, nice layout for a test (header, body, pre-request scripts, tests), good set-up for data driven tests , CLI interface available with Newman, good structure of collections / folders / tests, exporting and sharing tests and collections and environment variables

Cons: Haven't found anything I didn't like. There is one thing I'd like to be able to do and haven't found out how to do it yet (run a collection and run ONE pre-request script prior to everything).

• Reviewed on 2019/12/05
Rahul K.
Test Architect
Information Technology & Services, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/27

"Extremely Handy when it comes to testing of REST Services"

Comments: My Overall Experience was well with Postman as I use it on a daily basis for REST Testing and whenever I wana test any REST Service. Postman is the first tool that comes to my mind

Pros: Postman is very user friendly and also helps in developing,debugging, and publishing APIs.
The User Interface of Postman is very smooth and is easy to understand.
It gives us useful features like Sharing & Publishing, which comes extremely handy when you are working as a team.
We can do a quick sanity test of all our services on different environments

Cons: When it comes to designing of complex Automation Test Cases and Data Driven Testing Postman can be little tricky to use. Moreover, code re usability is also a concern.
Doesn't provide powerful Reporting.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/27
Md muhibbul C.
Software Developer
Computer Software, 10 001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/22

"Postman review"

Comments: Overall, I liked this software as this is free and has lot of good features to make any REST API development easy with an user friendly collaboration platform for API development teams.

Pros: 1) Postman is one of the best collaboration platform for API development with easy setup for any REST service environment.
2) Can easily import cURL code to setup a new request for any REST service.
3) Can easily set headers and different type of credentials needed like Basic Auth, Bearer token etc for any REST API testing.

Cons: 1) Sometimes have issues with https enabled REST APIs that needs SSL certificate validation. However, this may be resolved with additional settings and has a workaround by disabling SSL certs validation off from settings.

• Reviewed on 2019/09/22
Aditi I.
Senior QA Analyst
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/10

"Postman good testing tool"

Comments: API testing... For Java based agile project...
After getting hold on it...so fun to test and also debug issues ..were easier...

Pros: Api testing feature...
blackened testing was ease...can put our own data and test and see the accurate results depending on requirement..
Automating with node js to run all the services at once and see the results

Cons: Error messages.. doesn't sometimes give full picture why Api is failing...
Intially was difficult to understand how to use it

• Reviewed on 2019/11/10
Android developer
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/27

"Postman"

Comments: When I was beginner , postman helped me a lot to achieve my target

Pros: The best part about this software is that we can test APIs for free. Suppose you want to use a new payment api which you don't know how it works. But with the help of this software you can get the idea about its working

Cons: The only thing that I didn't like was that there is no option for closing all the tab at once . I know that is not a con at all

• Reviewed on 2019/10/27
Ecommerce Business Analyst
Sporting Goods, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/03

"An Absolute Must Have"

Comments: Like I stated above, Postman has allowed us to create endpoints for our implementation as it is happening. This is incredibly valuable to us or anyone that is in the situation. We have loved having this tool available to us.

Pros: We are currently working on a new platform implementation and Postman has made it possible. Without Postman we would not be able to test API endpoints that don't currently exist for us. Postman makes this easy and also possible.

Cons: Postman was honestly quite easy to pick up and use. Our development team has loved it, but have also noticed some performance issues. This is barely an issue though.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/03
Test engineer
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/04

"Simply the best API testing tool"

Pros: The plethora of features available in postman is very helpful for developers as well as software testers. With the new update, things have gotten much better with the improved UI

Cons: One issue i faced while using this is when a URL is generated as a response, even if i try to copy it to the clipboard, it automatically opens as a new request. If there was some option to toggle this off, then it would be much better

• Reviewed on 2019/10/04