• Overall
    4,6 /5

About Adobe Captivate

Course authoring solution that helps businesses create e-learning projects by managing content, images, audios/videos, and more.

Learn more about Adobe Captivate

Paul W.
eLearning Designer and Developer
E-Learning, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/17

"Adobe Captivate is the Cornerstone of My eLearning Business"

Comments: I started using Adobe Captivate with version 2. It was okay but obviously there was room for it to improve. At the time of writing this review, Captivate is on version 11 and it has matured into a robust solution. I will continue to use it for all my professional eLearning work for as long as they continue to make it available.

Pros: I have been using Adobe Captivate since the mid-2000s. Each release has brought new and innovative features that allow me to continue to impress my clients. Features like virtual reality and interactive video make Adobe Captivate the industry leader in eLearning Authoring tools

Cons: A complicated piece of software means that the learning curve is steep but the reward is that in return it does so much.

Josh Y.
Senior Education Manager of Online Learning
E-Learning, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/09

"A powerful player in the e-learning arena"

Comments: While I am just jumping into the platform as my current job requires it over other software platforms, I am impressed. Having used the entire Adobe CC and other e-learning software, this platform is not difficult to transition into.

Pros: Having used many products for developing e-learning, Captivate is among the top-tier development programs but has a high cost to entry. The platform is powerful and has a lot of nuances that allow for digging deep into options for developing truly custom courses and user experiences.

Cons: While you can dig deeply into advanced interactions, data reporting, etc, the learning curve is immense to begin to understand elements such as advanced actions, keywords, etc. Variables become buried and are not as easy to manipulate as in Articulate Storyline, but they are buried for very good reason in that you can actually do more in Captivate than with its rival program with such features. If I am to further nitpick, I am not excited by the filmstrip display for slide storyline. This is a feature I love in Articulate's e-learning in that non-linear branching is highly encouraged whereas the linear filmstrip does little to entice users to develop complex learning opportunities, reinforcing the linear death by slides commonly seen in virtual learning.

• Reviewed on 2020/10/09
Carl C.
Pre-sales engineer
  • Reviewed on 2020/06/14

"Creating "how to videos" for enterprise learning"

Comments: This is a very functional application for making videos. I prefer it versus tools like Camtasia when making instructional videos.

Pros: Easy to segment video into pieces. Imagine using Power Point slides but each slide contains video/sound. Much easier to manage than other tools that record straight through. You can record each segment, apply graphic elements as desired. It integrated easily with other Adobe audio products for enhanced audio editing. Captivate does include limited audio editing tools, just enough to be handy.

Cons: I found the application would crash every now and then. Nothing I could not work around, but strange to have to experience that in today's world.

• Reviewed on 2020/06/14
Implementation and Support Specialist
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/24

"Courses Designing by Captivate"

Pros: I used this software for creating courses online for my Organizations and I have found very useful specially in COVID19 Situation around the Globe however my most favorite feature of this software to choose the answer types by several options like multi choose, choose one etc

Cons: Its configurations related to issuing certificate is tricky which is not very user friendly and it needs to made simple and easy

• Reviewed on 2020/11/24
Ezzy S.
Sr Instructional Designer
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/06/11

"Adobe Captivate - What you'd expect from an Adobe product"

Comments: I've authored over 300 courses with Adobe Captivate in the last 6 years and overall, I'm very satisfied with the product. For all its faults, it's really forced me outside my box and helped me learn a lot about instructional design.

Pros: Adobe Captivate allows you to author amazing and beautiful coursework if you don't mind spending a little extra time to learn some coding. The product is fairly intuitive and it has a lot of capabilities. It's a very deep and robust product.

Cons: To really get the best out of Captivate, you do need to spend quite a lot of time learning about creating variables, some beginner coding, and occasionally some javascript. You can make the program do whatever you want, but it takes a lot of patience and, sometimes, some wonky workarounds.

• Reviewed on 2020/06/11
Assistant Manager
Insurance, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/05/24

"Terrific training tool"

Comments: Using this I have been able to set up tests and quiz for our training sessions. Its also let me create video presentations which automates some of our new hire training. You have to put in some time and learn it to get the most out of it but once you do that, its very powerful.

Pros: It is very robust and has a ton of features. You can create some really impressive training modules with this. We have been using this for a little while now to train our new hires on policies and process. I really like that once you get the hang of this, you can create very professional looking training material with it. It lets you embed videos, images and docs into your module pretty seamlessly. You can include your branding (which was a big deal for us) and colors. You can even include your Voice over if you want to. Using this I have created Quiz, Presentations and video guides. And they all looked fantastic.

Cons: Like a lot of other Adobe softwares (at least in my experience) it can be a little daunting to get started with. There is a lot you can do with it but you have to invest some time to get the most out of it. I really wish Adobe would figure out how to simplify the usage and work flow for newcomers.

• Reviewed on 2019/05/24
David M.
Marketing Director/Software Trainer
Entertainment, 2-10 Employees
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/28

"Captivate & the ease of convertability"

Comments: It gives you the ability to create in so many ways & to help make video & online training more streamlined, with the added feedback from an LMS to get good feedback on how end users are absorbing the triining

Pros: I truly enjoy the ability to convert old PowerPoint training decks into exciting & yes to coin a phrase, "Captivating" training for our employees & management.

Cons: The cost for our small company is a little high & there is no special pricing for Teachers or Students. It would be great id Adobe would let you replace some of the Adobe Cloud products with Captivate as part of the overall package even if it were for a little more per month.

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/28
Technical Support Specialist
  • Reviewed on 2020/06/09

"Great tool for creating training slides"

Comments: I thoroughly enjoy using Adobe Captivate. Some companies designate employees to solely focus on Captivate and it's uses within their workforce. I believe that is an appropriate action as there is so much that in can be used for and it's a worthwhile investment.

Pros: I loved how you can create panels and embed videos within those panels for training purposes. Captivate can be used in meetings as presentation slides as well even though other programs may be better for that purpose.

Cons: What I like least is kind of a strength of the software. It is so robust that training on how to use the software is necessary. You can jump right in without training but you can miss a lot of the perks that Captivate offers.

• Reviewed on 2020/06/09
Team Manager
Telecommunications, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/04/13

"Incredible E-Learning tool!"

Comments: Overall, I loved receiving the training created in Adobe Captivate. It is a great web-based training tool.

Pros: I have received training that has been created with Adobe Captivate and I can say it was great. It helped us stay focused and engaged with the whole learning experience. I couldn't believe this training was created locally and it was so successful that the training was launched globally.

Cons: After received training, I requested to receive training for the creation of training material for my team. This is not your average tool, you need a lot of time to learn how to create engaging interactions. I wish there was an easier version for faster creation of the material.

• Reviewed on 2020/04/13
Niel F.
Regional Training Specialist
Hospitality, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/04/02

"Great addition to Articulate"

Pros: I learned Flash while it was still relevant. It helped me understand the layering of the Adobe Product and it's use. It is a great tool to show new users how to use a software and then quiz the participant of he/she is paying attention by asking to replicate the shown process.

Cons: It can be a bit glitchy in the LMS and may allow a user to click past the quiz depending on the authoring software. I had to upload to the LMS in a staging environment and test before deploying the WBT live to users. This took time.

• Reviewed on 2020/04/02
E-Learning, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/22

"Feature-Rich Design and Development"

Comments: I've preferred Captivate to Storyline throughout my career. Most orgs seem to lean toward Storyline because the UI is so similar to working in PowerPoint. I definitely prefer the more robust feature set that gets quality, regular updates/enhancements that comes with Captivate.

Pros: The ongoing updates and upgrades continue to make this software easier to use for those new to it, and also expedites building many of the interactions. Really enjoy the Assets feature as well when looking to switch things up a little - really helps with inspiration and new ideas. The online community is also really great with supporting each other and lending new ideas. The different preview options that are built in are fantastic and load so much faster than Storyline.

Cons: There are still a lot of work-arounds needed for some interaction types to meet digital accessibility needs, but that's to be expected with almost any software. When capturing video, you cannot capture device audio.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/22
Catherine W.
Training and Development Specialist
Automotive, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/24

"Authoring Tool with a Twist"

Comments: My overall experience so far is positive. We are developing eLearning modules using the interactive tools found in Captivate. So far, the video formatting, audio (speech-to-text) function, and responsive project mode are my biggest positives.

Pros: Adobe's new version of Captivate (2019) is a fantastic authoring tool for the right user. I say that because the user must be competent on various computer applications and willing to spend some extra time learning! I have used many authoring tools, but this one has made me slow down and rethink some of the methods I use for development. It is not easy, but when you learn to set it up correctly, the functionality is amazing! I'm referring mostly to the responsive projects that are scalable for desktop, tablet, and mobile devices. This is a wonderful feature, but takes quite a bit of time to learn.

Cons: The biggest consideration I have found is the amount of time I have had to spend learning the program. Once understood, I have been able to make progress, but this is not a two or three week project...give yourself more time.

• Reviewed on 2019/09/24
Christy R.
Sr. Instructional Designer
Financial Services, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/01/15

"Good for developing elearning"

Comments: I'm happy with this software. It allows me to easily import PowerPoint slides, develop elearning courses from scratch, and record audio. I have continued to use it over competing applications because it's so easy to use.

Pros: Captivate is pretty easy to learn. I pretty much taught myself how to use it and don't have any big issues with it. I like that it publishes directly into Adobe Captivate Prime (our LMS). There are quite a few nice features that get added with each upgrade.

Cons: Sometimes the software crashes. I have to work with big files on my desktop rather than on my network drive. I had some files become corrupt from the application freezing. It would be nice if Adobe gave free upgrades rather than charging to upgrade every couple years. I would also like to have more pre-built templates for gaming. Most of the options available aren't ideal.

• Reviewed on 2019/01/15
Felix manuel M.
Software Web Developer
Mining & Metals, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/27

"Adobe Captivate saves time and money for you and your company"

Comments: Since 2012 I'm using Captivate for make all the documentation and instruction manual for many software or website I've developed or I collaborated with, saving me and the companies a lot of time and troubles. This is very recommended for freelance developers and companies as well (companies of any kind that have employees using any software).

Pros: This software save you a lot of time on making your software documentation and/or how to teach the final user to use the software or website they need to do their work. Remember, “A picture is worth a thousand words”, and I think a video is worth a thousand pictures. This is special useful on companies that have many employees, or with employees distributed for all the country/world. Companies that needs to take working the new employees as soon as possible, with a minimum loss of time on teaching him/her the new employee on how to use the software needed for their job.

Cons: In my special case, I need to complement this software with one video-editing software, for take more advantage and do more things that final user of my software/web very appreciate. However, Captivate works just fine by itself.

• Reviewed on 2019/03/27
Nichole R.
Senior Financial Planner
Education Management, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/03

"Captivate your Learners with Captivate"

Comments: There is a reason that Adobe Captivate is a leading, if not the leading, software for designing SCORM compliant software. It's been incredibly easy to use, the outcome is professional looking, and intuitive for both the designer as well as the user. I would recommend this for an educational institution or corporation looking to engage their employees in personal development. This is a great forum to disseminate information, policies, etc.

Pros: I love Captivate! It's so easy to use and the outcome is extremely professional! Not only do they have a plethora of options to vary the presentation and assessment tools to employ different learning modalities for students, but educators and trainers can easily design courses without a ton of experience. The products are also easy for learners (students, corporate employees, really anyone interested in gaining knowledge) to navigate, complete courses, and assess their progress. Captivate is also SCORM compliant which is typically a standard requirement for learning objects within educational institutions.

Cons: The price point can be a little shocking unless you're in education. Educational prices are around $399, normal pricing is 3 times that amount. However, despite the steep price point, all of the features, benefits and support are well worth it!

• Reviewed on 2019/12/03
Sarah M.
911 dispatcher
Public Safety, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/06/27

"PDF READER FOR DUMMIES"

Comments: I use this program on a regular basis in order to sign documents that need to be electronically transferred. It saves time and saves paper to where you do not have to go printing stuff off. It can be easy to use for the most part. This program is very simple and usually comes on most PC computers. I use it a lot to read PDF files as well.

Pros: This program is very easy to use and is very common so if you don't even know how to do something on it you can usually Google it and figure it out. You can use it to read over and view stuff as well - the stuff that websites put in for additional documents.

Cons: Sometimes the program will freeze up which can get really annoying and sometimes the fields that you are trying to write your documents on won't work.

• Reviewed on 2019/06/27
Alisa M.
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/07

"Almost non-existent customer support"

Pros: It contains all the functions that we need.

Cons: Customer support is non-existent. The automatic bot will chat with you for a bit then maybe a CS person will send you a link to their help page. If you need more help, they will schedule a call with you and never show up.
Customer Service outsourced to India.

• Reviewed on 2020/01/07
Sameer K.
Lead Associate Training
E-Learning, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/20

"Best tool for simulation and VR modules"

Comments: Captivate is the best for simulation as compared to any other tool in the market. It the only tool which having 360 interactive output and can implement lots of things which will be in another tool in future.

Pros: There is no match for this tool for simulation of any website of the software.
Now it's including a fluid box for responsive design and it works really well on different sized devices.
We used to develop content for pure HTML 5 output and it output file works without any flash support.

Cons: Sometimes it becomes stuck when we try to insert assets from the library even if the RAM is 8GB.
Other than that it is the best tool available in the market place.

• Reviewed on 2019/09/20
Zacchaeus E.
Exhibit Technician II
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/06/23

"Adobe Captivate - E-Learning Software"

Comments: We use it to identify certain species of animals for the guests to our facility. They utilize the program through touch screen displays. I am very please with it's usability straight out of the box. I was able to seamlessly edit and manipulate slides and information.

Pros: I like how intuitive the user interface is. I was able to easily navigate through options and controls. There is a already a large library of assets to implement into projects. I was able to jump right in, make a template and move slides around at whim with minimal difficulty.

Cons: I didn't like that I could not get a subscription for it for more than 12 months. Otherwise, personally, I was impressed with the product. My supervisor tried to use this software and he had trouble with the PhoneGap and GitHub part of the rendering process. So for people less familiar with how mobile applications are created, there may be a steep learning curve.

• Reviewed on 2019/06/23
Jordanne O.
Manager of Family and Community Engagement
E-Learning, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/02/06

"Exciting Product but not quite as intuitive as you would want"

Pros: I love all of the features of this software. You really can do a lot with it such as create responsive learning modules, VR modules, and knowledge check videos among other things. Once you master the authoring aspect I really do think you can make amazing learning modules. I like that you can make e-learning modules that really span the entire gauntlet of what online learning can be, from simply uploading powerpoints to be viewed online, to creating incredibly immersive and engaging online modules.

Cons: It's not really as intuitive as Adobe would have you believe. They pitch it as software that you really use "out of the box" as it were, but that is only true if you are trying to do things that are really really simple like a software simulation or an instructional video. However if you are imagining that you can buy this and almost immediately make engaging modules with quizzes and games and quiz videos, I think you will be disappointed especially since the customer support from adobe is also not the best.

• Reviewed on 2019/02/06
Dave S.
Technical Training Manager
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/07

"Create online training content that's great with Adobe Captivate"

Comments: I used Adobe Captivate to create and product online training courses for our company's online university. The software was detailed with a number of features, but something I was able to teach myself...very helpful considering I did not have an IT or software writing background.

Pros: After a normal learning curve, it's relatively easy to use to create content. I used it to create online training courses for a learning management system, and it really made our otherwise serviceable (but not too exciting) PowerPoint slides truly come to life! The software is powerful with what seems to be unlimited options for creativity.

Cons: As with probably any software worth anything, there's a bit of a learning curve to learn some of the tips and tricks for effective use. Where to find the various features is not always super-intuitive, but it's something I was able to work through.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/07
Police Officer
Law Enforcement, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/14

"Easy to Use, Cost to Unlock Features"

Comments: Overall, I am satisfied with the software. The ease of use is outstanding even for the not so computer savvy person.

Pros: This software is very easy to use. It is used by thousands of other clients and is the default for many programs. It installs quickly and the interface is easy to use.

Cons: The biggest downfall of this software is that it cannot be edited without purchasing. Being a program that is so widely used, the editing features should be free of charge.

• Reviewed on 2019/03/14
Rachel G.

"Long time user"

Comments: Captivate is a great tool. From a layout perspective it simply wasn't as intuitive as Storyline. However it's been a few years since I've used it last so perhaps this has improved.

Pros: This software is a great instructional design tool. Having used it since its inception (RoboDemo) I have seen it evolve a lot over the years. Nothing negative

Cons: Nothing negative. Simply I switched over to Storyline and found it way easier to use for advanced eLearning development.

Calum F.
Employee Success Consultant
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/12

"Great for basic eLearning - but not the best"

Comments: It's good. I spent around 2 years using Captivate as my only tool for eLearning development. I now use Articulate Storyline 360 as my main tool, but have dipped back in to Captivate for features such as the screen recording

Pros: Having come into the eLearning world as a Flash developer, it was so easy to use. If you have nay background in Flash, or any basic programming knowledge, it is highly transferable to the way that Adobe have built captivate. Screen recording feature that captures mouse clicks etc.

Cons: It's just too complicated. Steep learning curve which was difficult for me when trying to train new employees how to use Captivate to develop eLearning. Impossible to train SME's to use for storyboarding etc in a way that has any return on the time that would need to be spent training them (in fairness, they do have the storyboard add on for this function). In comparison to an alternative such as Articulate Storyline 360 - it is overly complicated. Responsive content development is a real pain. I understand the methodology here, using a CSS style layout to develop content that can run on any display - but I tripled my hours to make this work on a freelance project which causes the client to walk away. In the real world, using a scalable player is a better solution, which it can do, but given the fact that Adobe promote the "responsive" design so heavily as one of their key features - I personally wouldn't waste my time on it again. I don't believe the world need truly "responsive" eLearning.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/12
Michael L.
Staff Training & Development Manager
Banking, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/05

"ELearning Design at it’s best!"

Comments: Adobe Captivate has the power to help you create riveting eLearning experiences. It’s not as expensive as the competition, so you also get more bang for your buck.

Pros: This software can do just about anything that you would like for your eLearning courses. It’s easy to create interactive software demos, video role-plays, and detailed quizzes. If you have Adobe Captivate Prime, you can upload directly into the LMS. But even if you use another LMS, it’s easy to create a SCORM file and import it in.

Cons: It’s not the most intuitive product. You can do just about anything you would imagine, but it will take some experimentation. However, if you stick with it (or look up a few how-to’s on YoutTube) you’ll be all set!

• Reviewed on 2019/12/05