• Overall
    4,7 /5
    4,7 /5
    4,3 /5

About PayPal

From payments to credit to fraud protection, PayPal Commerce Platform helps you meet your customers where they are.

Learn more about PayPal

Showing 19 499 reviews

Andrew B.
Resturant Server
Food & Beverages, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/29

"PayPal cuz ya gotta..."

Comments: PayPal is always going to be a mover-and-shaker in the internet finance sector and if you're just sending money to your friends and family or stacking a few bucks to pay for stuff online PayPal is a good option. For me doing business with PayPal has been easy but If you're a medium-to-large sized company maybe you should look for a business account elsewhere.

Pros: PayPal is one of those things ya almost gotta have. All these new digital credit cards coming out that mask your numbers is old newus as far as PayPal is concerned. They pioneered not only digital currency but gave us a format on how-to buy things online. These new marketplaces (letgos, offerups, Facebook marketplace) really owe PayPal a debt of gratitude of for making us comfortable to purchase online. In addition to the privacy PayPal offers they also make it easy for you to send and receive money especially to your friends and they don't charge you anything. You can get a free cash card which is cool and you can also use card to accept payment for your small business.

Cons: PayPal does require a lot of background if you were to open up an account and get a cash card. They do close people down for practically nothing and they will freeze assets for an undetermined amount of time if anything is questioned. Also there so in bed with eBay that if eBay doesn't like something about you or your account they can freeze assets as well. They have a pretty weak offers category where you can get some discounts but they're not all that great and neither is there discount on shipping. And why don't they have their own check cashing division being so big, why use Ingo?

• Reviewed on 2020/02/29
Avash K.
WordPress Web Developer and Pagespeed Optimization Specialist
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/14

"One of the Best Platforms for Online Payment"

Comments: I love PayPal. Using it is as easy as browsing the internet. I can receive and request payment from clients all over the world in few minutes as it is accepted in almost all country. It's also easy to track incomes and financial activities. PayPal has made my professional life a lot easier.

Pros: As a part-time freelancer, I have clients from many countries and I use PayPal most of the time to receive money. With PayPal, I can receive money, request money from clients and send invoices instantly to clients and all at a very low cost. I also feel that my information is secure on PayPal as they are a bit ahead in Information Security than other similar platforms. It is also easy to shop online using PayPal as it is accepted in almost all major platforms. Paypal has great and minimal User Interface, so it's very intuitive to use it. The feature I like most is that we can create a PayPal.me payment URL and also embed it in websites. I also like that we can create a pool and then pay in a team.

Cons: Sometimes they lock your account for unknown reasons and it can be frustrating but those things are necessary to keep scammers and fraud out of PayPal so they aren't big deal. However, I have experienced bad errors a few time during checkout. I don't know why it happens but has happened multiple times to me.

• Reviewed on 2020/11/14
Abby B.
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/15

"The most affordable invoicing option for small businesses"

Comments: Hands down, the best option for a new business getting started out. You can create professional invoices and track all of your income in one place, for free.

Pros: There are tons of options that come with the basic Business Plan, all with no monthly or annual fee - just the 2.8% per transaction. You can setup recurring invoices, monthly, annually, AND Quarterly! Set it and forget it! You can print or PDF the invoices and email them and "Share link myself" so your clients can pay by check and then you pay NOTHING to PayPal.

Cons: There's no option for ACH debit, but for no monthly or annual fee, that's nothing.
The reports are a little tricky. Sometimes it's hard to find a report that includes ALL of the invoices sent out, including those who paid by another method not through PayPal. It's in there, it's just not easy to find.

• Reviewed on 2020/12/15
Iván G.
Software engineer
  • Reviewed on 2021/02/09

"Easy for the customers, a bit expensive for the business"

Comments: I recommend using Paypal if you are targetting an international audience or if you are new in the market and need an extra boost in confidence for your users. If you are going to sell only in your country, it's better to just use a bank gateway and save a lot of money in commissions.

Pros: Paypal is the most extended payment system, so it will provide confidence and security to the users. It's easy to implement since they provide many tools, even an API for more complex integrations.

Cons: Everything comes with a price and Paypal is no exception. Their commissions are very high if we compare them to standard bank gateways. Their support staff is not very helpful sometimes.

• Reviewed on 2021/02/09
George A.
Accountant
Banking, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/01/16

"PayPal a stress-free mode of paying and receiving"

Comments: Overall paypal has been a good software for my usage such as easy access, very good for payment and receiving payments

Pros: Easy access to the software
Friendly to use
Doesn't need a technical help more often
Very convenient
Easy access everywhere with you

Cons: Issues with pre-approved payments & subscriptions sometimes

• Reviewed on 2021/01/16
Director of Marketing and Communications
Performing Arts, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/01/28

"PayPal easily connects our non profit business with donors."

Comments: For anyone trying to solve a purchase/payment problem without having a formal bank arrangement, this is a great solution. And its software can be included with almost every POS system we looked at.

Pros: We needed away for our non-profit fundraising arm, which is separate, to sell product and collect funds for their initiatives, but with a paper trail that helps us document those donors and their activity. PayPal was very simple to integrate into our point-of-sale system, like it literally took one minute. The reporting and transaction history is thorough and allows for refunds, shipping, and every kind of documentation we need.

Cons: The portion that PayPal takes per transaction is a little high, for us, but we do see the value. It would be helpful if the organization (vs. a person) could have a log in, maybe with multiple users.

• Reviewed on 2021/01/28
‪mohammed E.
esshaimi
Computer Software, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/09/06

"paypal review - esshaimi"

Pros: Paypal is distinguished in terms of sending and receiving money, as it contributes to facilitating many things first regarding the process of sending money quickly, safely and reliably because before it was difficult to send money from one place to another while you are in your place very quickly, but the Paypal site came and facilitated this task and from Among the advantages of Paypal also is the ease of browsing and using the site so that you can move between all its different sections easily and smoothly without any cramps, and also the Paypal site guarantees you a refund of your money in the event someone swindles you or steals your money and also what I like about the Paypal site is the multiplicity The languages ​​used in it, which contribute to facilitating the process of understanding and dealing with it without problems, in addition to that, the Paypal site is used in most websites, in addition to that, you can buy with your bank card using Paypal in order to ensure that you are not defrauded or your money stolen unlike the purchase By using the bank card directly, because in this case you will not be able to recover your money in the event that you are swindled or your money stolen

Cons: Among the negative aspects of the Paypal site is its relatively high commission for sending money, in addition to that, in many cases, various problems occur during the process of sending money from a Paypal account to another account or through withdrawal to a bank card without mentioning the reason for this. The problem is making it difficult to send money, and when you want to communicate with them in order to solve this problem, there are difficulties in terms of quick communication and quick response, and also among the negative things is that the funds are frozen for a certain period that varies for several reasons, whether it is from one Paypal account to another or in terms of a source of reception Money wasting a lot of time.
In addition to that, the account is sometimes frozen for a period of 180 days, or sometimes they require you to send some commercial documents or the national identity card in order to release the presence on your account

• Reviewed on 2020/09/06
Grace C.
Operations manager
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/08/06

"An option for online payments"

Comments: We utilized pay pal when quick books no longer offered a service for accepting online payments. We had to have something for our patients to utilize online to be able to pay us. This was a great quick and easy tool that allowed us to accept those payment for a small fee.

Pros: The software was easy to implement and manage. We were able to put it up on our website and manage payments within a couple of hours

Cons: The charges for payments received and limited options for customization. We were charged a small percent on every payment that was sent in and it did not allow us to customize the portal on our website much. Like adding an email or our patient specific account #.

• Reviewed on 2020/08/06
Ahmed E.
Physician
Hospital & Health Care, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/04/27

"Satisfaction guaranteed"

Comments: My overall experience with PayPal has been amazing. It is the only secure program I can trust while ordering medical supplies for me and my team at the hospital, regardless from what website I may need it from online. I’m able to receive transactions from the whole team to be able to pay for something under one transaction which is very helpful to have, to have everyone to pitch in at the same time. Being able to see the history of my usage is always a good way to help me keep tract of when I bought something.

Pros: PayPal is very easy to use for all ages. It is the most secure program while doing transactions. The security is very high and that relaxes me while using PayPal. If someone logs in from a different place than you normally log on with they raise a flag. Customer services is very helpful when you need them. You are able to shop online without worrying about being scammed regardless of the website. You can receive money from anyone very simply. You are able to even send your money on your account to your linked bank account for free! You can receive money on it without worrying about giving out your personal bank information or any other personal information. It’s very helpful for me in a hospitals to buy the supplies I need online that I can not find around me especially during this pandemic going on currently. It secures your credit card that you use as well. Being able to have your account via smartphone on the PayPal account is very useful.

Cons: I dislike not being able to use my account internationally. If I am going on a mission hospital trip overseas, would be nice to be able to receive money via transfer on my PayPal account and deposit in my bank account as I am able to do in the US. It takes a lot of time to process things at times , if I am waiting for a payment from someone it normally takes days. If You could do it instantly would be way more convenient for us. Even in the US I am not able to use it anywhere I’m wanting to , I find certain deals a lot cheaper on websites but it does not have a PayPal feature.

• Reviewed on 2020/04/27
Anvita S.
Tutor
Education Management, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/04/17

"I Use PayPal Often"

Comments: My overall experience with PayPal has been positive. It was only recently I had issues with the transactions not going through and my money being withdrawn then returned for each failed attempt but I never had issues before. I love how convenient and fast it is, and that I don't have to go get my wallet or type in card details. I also have used it when people had to pay me and I love that it comes to my account automatically and I can easily transfer it to my bank. Highly recommend taking a few moments to make a PayPal account for all these free conveniences!

Pros: I love how convenient PayPal is to use when I leave my wallet in the car or somewhere far from me and I am too lazy to go get it (lol) because most online stores I shop from have PayPal as an option for payment method. It is worth taking a few minutes to create an account for the amount of convenience during checking out. You don't need to type in your card every time either! I also like that I can log in to my own PayPal account and view my transaction history to make sure everything looks normal and that there's customer service available when it does not. I love the convenience and that most stores utilize this fast checkout method! I also like that I have the option to transfer money to my back for a very very small fee immediately, or that I can wait a couple of days and it hits my bank account in a reasonable amount of time.

Cons: What I like least about this software is that there has been a few times where I check out, and the page comes to an error so I try again. Once I had to try again 3 times and the payment never processed. Next day I checked my bank account and I had those 3 attempts are card payment holds pending! It wouldn't be a big deal except the total in my account deducted for each attempt! Fortunately the charges fall off and the money comes back automatically when the purchase is not verified complete, but it can take anywhere from 1 day to several days to get the money back and it's not fun when you're running low on cash!

• Reviewed on 2020/04/17
Sara L.
Professional Musician
Music, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/03/22

"Every Artist Needs PayPal"

Comments: PayPal is one of the most well-known services in the world. It has achieved this status for a very important reason - it connects our ability to do business on a global level. You can transfer any currency within seconds. Security is a paramount by protecting both the sender and reciever. The site is user friendly, feature friendly, and accessible to anyone.

Pros: Paypal is my favorite payment portal. It is possible to link multiple payment types, like debit cards credit cards, and bank accounts. I am able to reach customers who want to purchase a product or purchase music from across the world and I am paid directly to my PayPal account balance. Once the funds are transferred I can transfer them directly into my bank account for no fee and the transfer typically takes a single business day. The user also has the option for immediate deposit via debit card for a small fee. So if you need the funds transferred quickly, PayPal has an option for you. I also use PayPal to send and receive payments from personal sales on Ebay and Reverb. The buyer is protected from fraud and holds funds until the item is received, ensuring that the buyer gets the item and is satisfied. This gives me peace of mind when transferring funds. PayPal is for everyone and you can also send money to family or friends. I have been using it for years and can't imagine not having the convenience of its service.

Cons: Sometimes reaching PayPal directly can take a day or two for complete resolution. So far I have yet to encounter a problem that wasn't resolved within a day.

• Reviewed on 2020/03/22
Help Desk Support
Information Technology & Services, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/17

"Great for sending and receiving payments"

Comments: Overall I am satisfied with PayPal from the ease of sending and receiving money to know that my purchases are protected and my account is protected from fraudulent activity.  It's my number one go-to when paying online and when it's not available at the merchandisers website and I have never used them before I rethink my purchase and usually back out. No PayPal pay no buying for me.

Pros: I have used PayPal for years and I can honestly say that when using a payment app I recommend this %100! The first thing I love is how my friends and family can send me money or vice versa for no fee. I use their PayPal cash card to spend my PayPal funds the only bad thing with that is that the ATM fee's are upwards of $5 please change that PayPal please. I don't recommend sending it to your bank due to how long it takes to post to your bank and the fee you are charged. That's why I use the card that you can get free with your account. I'm mainly a buyer but I do at times sell things and it works flawlessly. The best part of it all is whether you receive or use it to purchase products etc. You have the PayPal Purchase protection first your purchase information is secured because they don't share your full financial information with sellers. Secondly they have 24/7 monitoring. Thirdly they have a dispute resolution if there is a problem with a transaction and I have personally had to use this twice since using} and PayPal was able to resolve the issue and I received my money back. Now it takes a while for it to finally get resolved but it gets resolved. I receive money to PayPal through completing survey's and other part-time jobs online and I have never had a problem receiving it.

Cons: When you call customer service most of the time you can not understand the representative that's supposed to be helping you. I've actually hung up and called back two or three times until I was able to reach someone I could understand. Secondly, this is a good and frustrating issue is that all the multi-authentication you have to go through just to long in. I mean it's great to know my account is secure but can't they make it any easier? And if your account gets locked oh boy that's a headache.

• Reviewed on 2020/02/17
Ashkan B.
Research Assistant
Civil Engineering, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/01

"Popular and Trustworthy"

Comments: I have been using PayPal for the past year, and I strongly recommend it to anyone who needs to send or receive money or buy online. Compared to other platforms like Venmo or Cash App, PayPal has at least one advantage and that is popularity. That makes PayPal the most convenient money transferring app to use. Also, being a good app does not make you popular. The app should be perfect to become popular, and I think PayPal is very close to being perfect.

Pros: This is how I started using PayPal; I opened an account in a matter of seconds, added my debit cards from the banks I have account in and credit card info into my account, and now I don’t even use the physical cards anymore. I use PayPal for sending and receiving money and buying online. It is very convenient, and every online shopping website and merchant that I have used accepts paying with PayPal. My friends and I use PayPal to send money to each other every day. Recently PayPal has added a new handy feature called “money pool”. With this feature, you can gather money for a specific reason. I have used this feature many times. The first time I was in charge of throwing a birthday party for one of my friends. At first, it seemed like trouble knowing that I have to ask from everyone for their share of expenses. But then I found this feature in PayPal, I created a pool, and easily everyone paid their share. The money came right into my PayPal account in a matter of seconds, and thanks to PayPal the party was amazing. Another reason I love PayPal is that I can support my favorite charity in the app, which I find very convenient. Also, from time to time you can find great deals on online shopping websites if you pay through PayPal. I have used many of these deals and saved a lot of money by just using PayPal.

Cons: No matter how good PayPal is, there is still some space to improve. Sometimes transferring my balance to my bank account takes more than three business days, and it would be great if PayPal could improve the speed of the balance transferring process. Many of my friends prefer to use other apps just because of this and they need to transfer money instantly. Although there is an option for faster transfer, other apps can do it without charging for a fee. Also, it would be great if the customer could ask directly from PayPal for a refund, and not the merchant.

• Reviewed on 2020/02/01
Varun R.
Project Engineer
Oil & Energy, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/18

"Simple and effecient"

Comments: I have been a member of paypal for the last 5 years. I have had great experience with them. There are new players in the market like cash app and venmo, but for me personally, Paypal has been very convenient to use. The only place I think they should improve is having better customer service when there is a dispute. Apart from that, I have no issues with Paypal and I highly recommend it to others to use.

Pros: Here is what I love about paypal:
- You can setup an account in a few minutes. All you need is a valid email id and a bank account.
- There is no fee for signing up not any monthly fee to maintain an account.
- It is used by a large number of merchants both online and in store, all around the world.
- You can send money to a friend/family member living in a different country via their feature called 'XOOM".
- There website and their pone app is ways to use.
- One can link a credit or debit card to their paypal account in seconds.
- They have an awesome return shipping policy. If you buy a product online by paying for it via paypal and don't like it, you ca return the product and the return shipping cost (up to $30) will be paid by paypal 12 times in a year! That is hassle free shopping.
- Once you link your credit card via paypal and shop online, your credit card details are hidden and you never have to disclose your credit card information online ever again.
- They sponsor special discounts for customers that shop with PayPal at selected retailer stores. For instance, you can sometimes buy a gift card of $25 for just $20. That is a $5 saving you get for free.

Cons: This is where paypal can improve:
- Their dispute resolution is not as great as the that of traditional credit card companies. In my years of having an account with paypal, I have had only once instance where I had to file a dispute for a damaged item that I received from China. I was asked to send back the damaged item to the seller without even getting a return shipping label.
- I have had friends whose accounts have been frozen for no reason with no prior notice. However, I have personally not had any issues with them so far.

• Reviewed on 2020/01/18
Brandon C.
Body Piercer
Consumer Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/07

"User Friendly Money Services"

Comments: PayPal makes it easy to pay employees as well as make business purchases online and in store. You can cash a check (for a small fee) quickly using the mobile app. As previously mentioned, the ability to send invoices to clients is extremely convenient. It's just an overall great provider of money services whether it's for business use, personal use or both.

Pros: I like the fact that it can be used to easily send and receive money for business and/or personal purposes. It allows you to create and send invoices as well as currency conversion. Most of the services offered are free while the rest are provided at a very reasonable price. PayPal will provide you a personal and/or business debit card that can be used at many ATMs free of charge. When you consider that most of the services provided by PayPal don't cost a thing, you just can't beat it.

Cons: There's not much to dislike. I suppose I would like more options when it comes to contacting customer support. The 2 options provided (phone or online chat) are not always sufficient. I would like the option to contact support via e-mail and possibly even SMS.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/07
Graduate Assistant
Research, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/04

"Very good, but needs some improvement to be best"

Comments: I use it mostly for sharing money with friends and family and in this service, PayPal is second to none considering the ease of use. I found it very helpful for online checkouts. A lesser service fee and easier use of paypal credit would make their service more better and impeccable. Overall, it’s a great privilege to use such a nice money management system.

Pros: Paypal is the first money sharing app I have ever used. For their free transfer and instant transfer to PayPal account, I even now keep this app on top of all other such apps. Also most of the online vendors now accept paypal and paypal credit while it is very easy to checkout with one click, hence I use it where I have it as an option. Also I can transfer money from my paypal to bank account and vice versa without any fee. All these are the reasons I love to use it and have been using it almost everyday to split expenses with friends and family as well as using it for online purchases.

Cons: Their customer support is not that much responsive as you will find it hard to talk to a human agent over phone. Also most of the representatives I have talked to so far don’t seem to have a comprehensive knowledge of the system. The representatives need to be more knowledgeable about their service and should serve more promptly. I have faced difficulty to set up recurring payment option with my paypal credit as the use of this extension in their service is still not much user-friendly. They should provide more easier option to set payment options. I have faced issues with payment options as even after selecting a specific payment option with paypal checkout, I was charged from another payment option without my knowledge. Also if you mistakenly pay your friend using money protection feature, they will charge you a fee and there is no option to get back that charged fee even of you do it by mistake. They should be more flexible on such things. Also free trasnfer to the bank accounts sometimes take time more than usual which may mess up your monetary emergency.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/04
Jake H.
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/03

"A User-Friendly Invoicing System and Accounting System"

Comments: Great so far. I don't see us switching to any other invoicing platform anytime soon.

Pros: The thing that led us over to PayPal was how easily integrated it was with other platforms as well as how familiar everyone already is with it. The pricing is competitive per transaction and it easily allows for international invoicing and payment. It also made it really easy for our accountant to understand the layout of it.

Cons: The only thing I didn't like at first was that I typically associate PayPal with a cash app between non-professional relationships. After seeing their invoicing system, I was immediately impressed.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/03
Daniel alejandro Q.
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/21

"Best Software to transfer Money Worlwide"

Comments: We started our business about 3 years ago. Our first Payment Processor was PayPal. In the beginning, we struggled a little bit syncing the bank accounts, and then PayPal asked for verification of the ID, sometimes the process is a little slow, I would recommend make faster the registration process so is more intuitive and friendly for people that are not experts in the field. Overall Paypal has been really good for our business, and the tools that offer to send an invoice for a customer are really nice. the customer is not required to have a Paypal account, so they can pay with the credit card. The Invoice System is really fast to create an invoice and send it really fast. When the Balance to be transferred is more than $1000 and you are making a commercial transaction. Paypal charged by a percentage that makes really high fee compared to a wire transfer from a regular bank, therefore, when we are transferring high amounts we use regular banks because it is a flat fee of $40. However Paypal still stands really good for small amounts, and the transactions are made immediately. we really love the reports that you can download from their system which is really handy at the Taxes's time also, PayPal can be synchronize easily with almost any website system, and make the process really smooth and fast We recommend PayPal for Business and individual that want to transfer around the world really fast We Recommend to PayPal open their own Marketplace Thank you

Pros: -Easy to Use and Intuitive
-Adaptability to business, especially e-commerce
-Used worldwide for the best selling Marketplaces in the world (Amazon, eBay, aliexpress)
-Friendly reports
-Friendly system
-Low Fee Cost depends on the amount of the transaction

Cons: -High-cost fee for transactions when required a high amount of money
-at the beginning is hard to open an account and sync with the bank account. the verification by sign-in doesn't work correctly, so you have to wait some business days to wait for a deposit
-There are some high fees for other services that they have
-the credit provided by PayPal, interests are a little high compared to amazon

• Reviewed on 2019/11/21
Kidhogwa T.
IT specialist
  • Reviewed on 2019/05/23

"Paypal can be annoying, tough it's still the best"

Comments: would still recommend PayPal to everyone because you really don’t have any other options out there better than PayPal.
I think PayPal knows this and that’s why they don’t care to make adjustments.
I read somewhere that if you plan to travel or are changing the device you usually login with to PayPal, you can write to PayPal and explain this but I'm not sure if this works though. Maybe they could still ask to verify whether its truly you that is making the request.

Pros: PayPal is the biggest online money transfer which makes it my best choice because I work with a number of people from almost every corner of the earth. I love Its invoicing software. It takes away the hassle of creating invoices. The mobile card reader is great too and I use it with my Mpesa to make payments when I'm in Kenya.
In this part of the World where other online payment systems are so inefficient, PayPal is such a life saver.
The shopping cart, the instant payment, the simple click and send, PayPal is simply awesome.
It would take me a whole day to write about the wonderful features of PayPal but it would equally take me the same time to write about cons.

Cons: I think its crazy to have your account limited or locked just because you have changed your IP address or you have changed your location. PayPal annoys me by thinking that people must use the same device to login to PayPal all their life if they are to continue smoothly running their account. If you travel to another country or log into your account with another PC, your account can be limited. I know someone whoose account was locked with $5000 in it. Its been 1years since this happened and PayPal has never resolved the problem. Yes they restore your account after verification but most of the time it takes them long to restore it yet its a hassle that can be avoided. What is worse is that I have seen many people complain about this for some time now and PayPal hasn’t done anything about it.

• Reviewed on 2019/05/23
Humberto C.
Freelancer
Internet, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/05/12

"PayPal Excellent Method to Receive Payments"

Comments: Since I started my freelancer career 4 years ago I used PayPal to receive payments from my clients. I have never had problems receiving payments and everyone accepts this platform to make them. Currently there are many methods that can be much better, these can be cryptocurrencies or other methods such as Uphoald, Payeer or Skrill. However, if you are starting to receive multiple payments PayPal is the best option, since the registration is free, the verification of your account is quite simple and the limitations are practically nil.

Pros: PayPal is a payment platform that is easy to install and use
Your customers are probably already familiar with PayPal
You do not need a merchant account
You can receive payments from any client. They do not need to have a PayPal account
You can create very elegant and personalized payment formats
PayPal charges are lower than some merchant accounts
You can configure recurring payments (if you need it)
PayPal can be easily integrated into any shopping cart system
It is a platform that offers secure transactions for both sellers and buyers
Payments are fast, safe and convenient
You have the possibility to request a refund, after having transferred to another account (2 times I have done it successfully, your response is very fast, timely and efficient)

Cons: Regarding digital products, they are not covered by seller protection policies
The rates for Chargebacks can be very high
Although it has not happened to me personally, I know cases of users who have had their account suspended. Your funds have been frozen for months
Although it is a platform received in many payment systems, there is a large number of people who refuse to use PayPal. This can be limiting when doing business with these clients
Personally, I consider it a limitation that you can not transfer money from PayPal to other systems such as Payoneer, Paytm, Payeer, etc.

• Reviewed on 2019/05/12
Dorothy R.
Subprioress
Religious Institutions, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/15

""You've got cash!""

Comments: We have not had any problems so far, and I believe that our income has increased due to allowing people to register and pay online. We haven't made a detailed analysis of that yet, but it seems that way. PayPal is easy for us to use and easy for people who want to pay online to use too. Overall, it gets a high grade from us.

Pros: We chose PayPal because it has a history and a reputation. Although there are plenty of others out there, we felt most secure in a company with its reputation. It was a little tricky to set up because of financial security concerns, but we received the help we needed and it didn't take too long. PayPal has lots of options but we only use some basic ones: we use it on our website to allow people to pay for their retreat and program registrations. It interfaces nicely with Retreat Booking Guru which we began using at the same time. We have a choice between doing a daily "sweep" of our funds into our bank account, or doing it manually ourselves. To date we do it manually. I'm in charge of this, and at the same time I do a money transfer, I print out a PayPal report for our bookkeeper so that she knows what's happening. She of course sees our bank statements, but my reports help her make sense of them. Because we are a nonprofit, we get a lower rate than a commercial enterprise would. The monthly rate we pay in addition is a fair one, we think, and there is no charge for transferring funds to our bank. We like PayPal; it seems to work very well and it is a big help to us.

Cons: I'm not impressed with the reports generated by PayPal. I have a choice of downloading a report they generate, which doesn't have all the information I'd like, or simply printing what shows on the Activity page. When I do that, the column headings are shifted so they aren't over the right columns. But at least I get the info I want and in a font large enough to read. In the overall picture, this is something I can live with.

• Reviewed on 2019/03/15
Sébastien L.
Directeur
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/02

"Paypal Is a Robust Solution to Managing Your Money Online and Almost Everywhere"

Comments: My current PayPal account is active since 2008 and so I can confidently say that I know I have been able to rely on this service many times over the years. Their customer service kindly helped me once to set back my account to "Personal" after I had been playing with the settings and wanted to know more about their "Business" upgrade. Many times, PayPal has been my best bet in getting paid for remote freelancing gigs, knowing this is a reputable platform and having the ability to confirm the sender's identity. Because one can move money around and connect different accounts to PayPal, this flexibility has been useful a few times when buying online with insufficient funds in the PayPal account. Since it can withdraw automatically from your credit cards if you check that option, this provides a seamless integration with the rest of your digital life that's, again, secure and very useful.

Pros: PayPal opens the doors to securely managing money online quickly and easily. In many ways, this is a solution that's "set it and forget it" and it works great. For instance, adding a bank account or a credit card is a one-time process and once this is done, receiving and sending money is a breeze. One can even receive money without having first created an account. PayPal, being so omnipresent, is a wonderfully secure option to shop online on any well-known website and to receive money from family, friends or employers. Sharing a link to get paid a specific amount in any desired currency is a simple as using PayPal.Me, a nice additional feature available in the dashboard. This is a software that works equally well for personal and business use and one can upgrade their account without trouble. PayPal makes it easy to manage your money on their website by either using your available balance when buying online and also has options to transfer money from or to your bank accounts, which is a perfect bridge to the digital world. There even exists the possibility to fall back to paying with a credit card online when the PayPal balance is too low without needing to reveal the details of the credit card to the merchant.

Cons: I love this service, but I did have problems getting to validate mobile phones in foreign countries by not receiving SMS. For this reason, I had to skip the addition of my mobile phone to the account, meaning I cannot use it to recover access to my account if the need arises. I would also add that this is not an ideal service to be transferring money to your bank account on a regular basis as the fees do add up and for some reasons, this is sometimes flagged as a fraudulent behavior when the money is being transferred from one PayPal account to another before making the deposit to the bank account. In my experience, one gets much more benefits in limiting its use to online transactions.

• Reviewed on 2019/03/02
Samridh S.
Electrical Engineer II
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/02/01

"My goto place for transactions"

Pros: Everyone who has done some sort of online payment and transactions have hear of paypal so it wouldn't be wrong to say it is one of the most used online third party payment source in variety of businesses. I have used paypal for last 10 years and still do for many of my online purchases and even fund raisers.
- Easy to create account and use it
Paypal account is free to create for normal usage and anyone can have it. It is simple, straightforward, and most importantly no hassles.
- Secure and safe
At this age where technology is everywhere data security is super important. Paypal takes user information and data very seriously and does encrypt it in the most secure way.
- Easy to links accounts
You can put money in paypal or link bank accounts and transfer directly. You can even send money to family and friends with a few click of buttons once your accounts is link. How great is that.
- Smooth transactions
Whether you are selling stuff or buying, everyone trusts paypal so using it for a means of payment is accepted everywhere. Ebay users are one of the biggest user of paypal.
- History
Your buying, selling, depositing and withdrawing information are locked and loaded on paypal for viewing. When someone like me who continuously buys on ebay and sometimes sells as well, paypal helps me understand how much important it is to have these individual transactions stored and organized.

Cons: Paypal is great except,
- Transaction fees for businesses
Do you buy and sell on ebay? Then there is some fee one has to pay which is not great for everyone. I hated those fees but a small price to pay for convenience I think
- Not good for big businesses
Paypal is not for big business for sure due to its lack of proper customer support and backup. Better go elsewhere.
I never had to deal with it but I know a few people whose paypal account got frozen or removed for no reason. That could be a disaster for sure and that means you have to go through a lengthy process to get your money back if you lost some.

• Reviewed on 2019/02/01
Owner - Web Designer/Developer/Marketer
Insurance, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/30

"Paypal the good and the bad"

Comments: Overall, paypal is a good service, there are flaws of course but it does what it needs to. I've had clients have horrible experiences with them (held money and such), but I've got some clients that love them, I use them myself as well as they are convenient. My suggestion to most clients is to not allow a large amount of money to remain in the account at any given time, manually transfer to bank regularly or utilize the debit card to withdraw cash....but the service is reliable, easy to setup and use.

Pros: Paypal is very quick and easy to get set up and ready to accept payments, I think that's often the biggest draw to Paypal. Sending money to someone is easy and fast as well. There are multiple integration options to utilize Paypal to accept payments on your website, so you'll definitely find the right solution for you. The Paypal debit card is convenient as its much faster than transferring to your bank. Most of the time, the service works very well...but when you do have an issue, customer service is not great.

Cons: Unlike all other credit card processors, Paypal holds your money until you manually transfer it, this means if Paypal feels you have violated their terms of service, they can and will put a hold on your money. And the money held by them is not FDIC insured as it would be in a bank. Transferring money to your bank is slowwwww...but of course transfer from your bank is instantaneous. The fees are higher than a traditional merchant account/online processor scenario, but there's no setup fees and as stated above, it's very easy and quick to get setup and started right away. It's nearly impossible to find a phone number to customer service...and they aren't always very helpful.

• Reviewed on 2018/11/30
Nathan S.
Digital Marketing Manager
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 2018/05/29

"A Good but not so good feature"

Pros: Paypal is one of the most well known payment processor services out there. Having used it for over 7 years now, there are some good things and some not so good things. 1) The ability to accept payments from almost anyone with a card. Paypal has been doing peer to peer payments for a long time now as well as business payments. Its very easy to set up an account and start receiving payments from anyone with a card.
2) Privacy when making payments -The ability to make payments knowing that your card information will not be shared with another party when making payments is just great. It adds a layer of privacy that is second to none.
3) Receiving payments - Paypal has always served as a second account of sorts for paying and receiving payments. Being able to send a request for payment and having that payment come in without lifting a finger or setting up complex accounts is always a huge plus, especially when you can withdraw that money to a bank account and actually use it!
4) Payment disputes - Paypal's payment dispute center is a service I have used many times over, the ability to resolve conflicts over service or payments within a controlled area is very helpful for someone who runs a business through Paypal or makes frequent payments. It is probably one of their best services

Cons: But not all is rosy, Paypal has over the years buffled me with some extreme challenges. 1) Unnecessary Account blocking - If Paypal suspects any suspicious activity on your account, they can block it without warning you. This happened to me once when I logged in from another IP address (was traveling at the time) and I had to wait 6 months to get any payments.
2) Support is not always helpful - While Paypal has many avenues to handle payment issues and disputes, their support center is not helpful when it comes to general account information and issues. Sometimes you have to read online to find a solution because their support can take anywhere from 7 days to never responding.
3) Using Paypal is risky. As a payment processor it is ok, but keeping money in Paypal for any reason can be risky as mentioned before issues like accounts being blocked, chargebacks and refunds can put your account at risk. For example, if you have 2 or more payment disputes, your account gets "reviewed", part of me feels like Paypal functions like a bank versus just being a payment processing service.
While I do think it is great service for making payments, the jury is still out on the receiving payments bit. My personal experience with Paypal has been "meh", I feel it is a necessary evil to get payments made and received but since there are very few other services that can match the features that Paypal has, it remains the one I use the most.

• Source: GetApp