Wave Accounting Reviews

Filter by:

• Overall

About Wave Accounting

Wave offers small business owners real double-entry accounting that is integrated with the rest of Wave's solutions, 100% free!

Learn more about Wave Accounting

Showing 1 122 reviews

Josh C.
Josh C.
Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2021/08/05

"Awesome free accounting online software for your business that is super professional!"

Comments: There is very little more I can ask for with Wave for my small business. It is free for the features I need and allows me to take only ACH or credit card payments with a reasonable fee and I only pay the fixed percentage when I use those features so I can just turn it off and get a check from a client and not pay anything. Great Flexibility!

Pros: Its free for small businesses that just need a good business accounting software! You can take ACH and CC payments if you want and turn them off on invoices you don't want it on. The rates are reasonable enough for using these services. The reports are easy enough for doing taxes. It's awesome and cheap for those that are one man shows or freelancers.

Cons: The thing that is the most annoying is when you want to do a recurring billing. It doesn't use something like Maintenance contract #1 then go to #2 or something like that it makes recurring billing invoice names that were the most recent of any invoices. Maybe I am not using it correctly, but each time I have to go and change invoice names then manually send it to the client.

• Reviewed on 2021/08/05
Misty C.
Mental Health Care, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2021/07/15

"Great accounting software."

Comments: This software is extremely use friendly. I like that it has all the reported my accountant/bookkeeper needs in order to file my taxes. It also has an app that allows me to scan my receipts and it connects them with the matching transaction in the ledger.

Pros: I like the ease of implementing this software. I had no issues connecting by business account to this software. And it's FREE!!

Cons: The only thing this software lacks is an app or a way to view it on a mobile device easier. Other than that, no complaints.

• Reviewed on 2021/07/15
Managing Director
  • Reviewed on 2021/06/30

"Amazing invoicing system"

Comments: For a first timer in invoicing etc., wave was my best way to go. It made me feel confident without all those extra complex details of an invoice, it helped me look so professional and also made my life super easy by the way it works.

Pros: Super easy to use and very user friendly. Everything is just so simple, yet so powerful!! Invoices look great and customizable. There are all the major required features and best of all, its all free.

Cons: There could be a better support feature, and also couple of extra features to make it powerful. Being free makes it hard for the team to work on (maybe) but even if it was paid, i'd still use it.

• Reviewed on 2021/06/30
Michael M.
Owner sole proprietor
Music, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/20

"Wave Was/Is My Go To From QB Online"

Comments: My overall experience has been great! I have to do some thinking/remembering at tax time to separate the double entries of income. I show an invoice paid by check WAVE shows that income on my account. I go to the bank and deposit, there is that check again. For the total amount of money saved, around $450-500, I will put up with it.

Pros: It is FREE in the cloud, works on ALL platforms Windows 7,10, Android, iphones. Accepts all credit cards including Amex for 2.9% I am saving $420+ yearly by not having QB, I don't have to print invoices. Since WAVE is in the cloud I email my invoices and receipts.

Cons: I wish it had more storage of customer service that has been performed in the past but I suspect that would require some expense. It only had 3 invoice templates and there wasn't much customization on those. You can't compound taxes on your invoices, let me rephrase, you can compound 1 tax but no more. Since my only taxes are State and County I found it best to compound none for fear of forgetting which one I had compounded

• Reviewed on 2020/11/20
Sutra B.
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/07

"Excellent for the start-up to small company!"

Comments: So far it has been a good experience overall. I haven’t had any issues. I haven’t had very much interaction with customer service other than the initial consultation Coach and the vetting process situation.

Pros: Love this product because of the cost! Free! So many great tools that it offers to include invoicing. You can create all of your own products and services and include your terms & Conditions. Clients can pay directly from the invoice. You can get paid the same day if you attach your business card to your account. It has a payroll feature as well for an additional charge. I love the fact that the reporting is so simple and easy to read. I would highly recommend purchasing this set up package. It comes with consultations and assistance to work through all the process of setting up your account and different categories specific to your business. It was definitely worth the extra money spent. I also like the fact that there are apps available to send invoices if you are away from the office. Also, you can upload receipts directly from wherever you are by simply taking a picture and categorizing it on the spot. No more having to deal with Receipts in the shoebox LOL.

Cons: On the Invoicing I wish there was an option to add tipping. Our clients like to add a tips for our service and while Square offers this feature, Wave does not. There was a weird vetting process that nobody told me about and at first I thought it was a scam and I didn’t reply. But then I confirmed with the consultant I had been working with and they verified that this was in fact something that I had to go through. It seemed kind of sketchy at first, but it had validity with regards to the financial process.

• Reviewed on 2020/05/07
Career and Leadership Coach, Founder
Management Consulting, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/03

"Wonderful accounting software for starting and growing a service business"

Comments: I haven't gone through a tax season with my business yet, but I have been an independent consultant and I anticipate having everything tracked in Wave is going to help me out a lot come April. It's so easy to use and I can focus on my core business rather than spending a lot of time on admin.

Pros: Wave helps me do so much. I can issue invoices, track them (I.e. I can see when a client has viewed it!), and allow clients to make payments directly through the invoice. I can also customize my invoice, which is great. I could do all of this from day 1. I'm a solopreneur and launched my business this summer. I was able to issue professional invoices from day 1 and track my expenses using their receipts app. The other thing I love about Wave is that they are very interested in feedback from their customers. I've had a few interactions with them and it's always been really pleasant. It's also free which helps me out a lot. I do use the credit card payments, which has a fee like any other service would.

Cons: Their mobile app could use some work, and I've given them this feedback. The receipts app is great to take pictures really quickly, but I generally have to use the browser to do anything else.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/03
Summer A.
Animal transport specialist
Import & Export, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/01/23

"Robust, invaluable & very stable"

Comments: It has been a Godsend and I have used it extensively to track payments due, and alto send professional looking invoices & receipts.

Pros: 1. Highly stable. Doesn't glitch.
2. Mobile App available
3. Invoices are totally editable and can add your own logo
4. Reminds you of overdue bill & you can send a reminder
5. Can do both estimates & invoices.
6. Receipts can be sent.
7. Payment can be made by multiple sources & at different times, which automatically deducts from the bill.
8. It's really easy to use
9. Invoices are downloadable in pdf format
10.Free version have me extensive functionality that I have been so grateful for

Cons: Free version doesn't allow for credit card processing (which is fair)
Really I have loved using this software and have not had issues.
The only thing is I think that they will soon bump users off that are not based in the USA / Canada. Which will be really sad.

• Reviewed on 2021/01/23
Jeff M.
Jeff M.
Marketing and Web Services Consultant
  • Reviewed on 2021/03/31

"Great Invoicing and Payment platform, But Not for Full Bookkeeping & Financial Management"

Comments: I take Wave for its good point and have since 2015, and excellent billing, invoicing and payment processing system. It has added value through its Wave Money expansion as well. I don't fault this system for not being a quality bookkeeping platform, it is what it is and I still recommend it to clients and colleagues all the time.

Pros: This system has a really full featured billing and invoicing system that I have used for years and would recommend to any small business.

Cons: This system is not cut out for bookkeeping. Innovation attempts create confusion and many basic reporting features are either excluded or lost value because of the report structure and lack of customization.

• Reviewed on 2021/03/31
Steven H.
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/01/20

"Software is Good - Customer Services Poor"

Comments: I switched from QBO and I have not being disappointed. I am very disappointed in Waze Advisor, the bookkeeping service that Waze sells to customers. I signed up for year of booking for about $1500 and received very little value. Over 9 months, I had 5 different bookkeepers. The each had a different approach to the bookkeeping process and different advice for how I should interact with the software. The last advisor never did the things he was supposed to do and he finally just stopped working for me. I complained to his supervisor, but to little effect. Now I'm looking for an outside bookkeeper. There is a huge network of Quickbooks bookkeepers, but many fewer who are familiar with Wave. I'll probably go back to doing my own bookkeeping rather than try yet another bookkeeper.

Pros: Simple, cheap, practical, and with supporting services. I used it first for invoicing and then full bookkeeping and payroll.

Cons: There are some simple features missing, like being able to record the date of service as a data field on an invoice.
Before signing up for the Wave Advisors for bookkeeping, I paid for 2 hours of coaching. The coaching was good, but the Wave Advisors service was close to worthless.

• Reviewed on 2021/01/20
Joshua H.
Joshua H.
Promotions Director
Broadcast Media, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2021/03/08

"BEST Free Accounting Software Available"

Comments: All in all, Wave is incredible. It's the best solution for my small business accounting and makes tracking things so much easier than the days when I was tracking income and expenses manually on a spreadsheet. I would highly recommend Wave to any small business owner.

Pros: Wave is just incredible. It's simple, easy-to-use and packed with features! Wave is easily the best free-to-use accounting software available. The software connects seamlessly with my bank, and now even offers "Wave Money" which gives you a business checking account directly tied to the Wave system for the easiest expense tracking possible. The ability to invoice and take payments and automatically generate reports in addition to what I've already mentioned make this the best free accounting software out there.

Cons: There's not much negative here. Wave was clearly designed with the user in mind and with each new update things just get better. Can't think of any way they could improve the app, but they always manage to find a way to incorporate new and useful features!

• Reviewed on 2021/03/08
Trevoulin G.
Trevoulin G.
  • Reviewed on 2021/05/06

"The best start for small business owners"

Comments: My overall experience with this software was great! I've never struggled or thought about moving away. Its the best starting point for a business to go.

Pros: Wave Accounting's ease of use was the best thing about it. I needed something quick and with a small learning curve, it was the right choice. The looks and professionalism of the templates helped me switch from Invoiceable to Wave accounting. And despite all the other apps on the market, this cloud-based software was the best I found.

Cons: I didn't like that I couldn't link my bank account anymore after recent updates. There was a huge shift from the international market to just the US. It doesn't have a lot of customization for the invoices or estimates. You have to make do with what you have.

• Reviewed on 2021/05/06
Igor M.
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/05

"Everything You Need for Your Business Books"

Comments: Very nice and reliable software. I would 100% recommend Wave for small to mid-size businesses. Maybe not the best match for large corporations though (lacking some accounting features).
It does what it is made for! It is FREE! It is great :-)

Pros: Very easy to use.
Great design and UI/UX
All basic features, required for keeping your books straight.
Fancy easy to use mobile app.
Fancy, modern invoice templates.
Invoice payment by Credit Cards (standard 2.9%) and bank transfers (at only 1%!).
Payroll.
No glitches or any technical issues after a few years of using it!
It is FREE and no Ads!
You can get support from IN-HOUSE! Wave bookkeepers or a consultation with a CPA (paid feature)

Cons: Connection with your bank might give you some duplicate entries (the system creates one entry when invoice gets paid online and pulls up the second one (duplicate) from your bank when funds get deposited). This is not a big problem, just something to watch for.

• Reviewed on 2019/04/05
Jessica H.
Jessica H.
Photographer
Photography, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2021/02/09

"Perfect for those new to business"

Comments: Wave Accounting has saved the bookkeeping side of my business. I'm such a mess with keeping track of stuff like that - I usually do okay for awhile, but then I lose track of it and it's impossible to get caught back up. With Wave, it does it all for me with importing transactions automatically. If I have a month that I drop the ball and don't record my financials, it's so easy to hop in and get caught up again. The reports make it very clear where you are spending and receiving money, and what your profitability is.

Pros: I love any website or app that I can use for free, being that I'm a new business that is trying to get off the ground. It's super easy to use to keep tracking of expenses and money received. There are a lot of features that I don't use, as I mostly use it for the Accounting -> Transactions. It easily keeps track of my cash flow, my profit & loss, and I can easily see where my money is coming from and going to. You can hook up your bank account to have the transactions pulled directly from there, so you don't have to worry about forgetting to enter specific transactions. I'm really bad at bookkeeping and keeping track of numbers, so I love that it makes it pretty much foolproof for me, being that it's such an important part of business.

Cons: It can be glitchy at times. I had problems with my transactions imported from my connected bank account, and then when I tried to remove the account and re-connect it, I received error messages. I had to manually track transactions for several weeks - it has finally linked back up. It also is a little bit confusing while getting it set up, because the different categories they supply to begin with are numerous, and some are very similar. They do provide an explanation of each, and you're able to customize that however you see fit, but I struggled with figuring out what categories I needed. It would have been really nice to be able to select your industry and have relevant categories shown.

• Reviewed on 2021/02/09
Nicholas S.
Nicholas S.
Police Officer
Government Administration, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/12

"Accounting Without the Fees"

Comments: Overall, it's my Go-To Accounting software for my business and personal reselling. My accountant loves the profit and loss statements, balance sheets, etc. when it comes tax time. They need to be on your list if you're looking for a business or personal option.

Pros: I've been using Wave long before their new long, Wave Apps update and so much more. What I love about the company and the software is that they continue to improve on and grow the free part of the offering. I use it for my business and my personal reselling business. For both accounts, I don't pay a single dime. They have paid options for Payroll, banking, personal accountants, etc. but I haven't needed to utilize them. I love that the options exist for those that want it. I had previously used GoDaddy Bookeeping, and I'm so glad I don't have to go back. Wave Accounting allows me to sync my PayPal account in for free, and it automatically brings in new transactions as they occurr.

Cons: My only real gripe was that I couldn't sync my bank with them. This was my issue however as I used a local bank that had 5 branches in the country, so it made sense that they didn't have the integration. That bank has now been bought and my new bank syncs without issue!

• Reviewed on 2019/04/12
Sourav K.
Sourav K.
Administrator
Higher Education, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2018/10/12

"The best accounting software for startups and freelancers"

Comments: This is the only accounting software I use and have used over the years for my business so I could say it has solved a huge business problem for me, Acoounting.

Pros: The experience with Wave has been awesome. When I first came accross this software I could not believe the fact that they were giving this away for free, everything except the payroll feature of this software was free. Invoicing, unlimited ledgers, journal entries, cashbook, p/l account, balance sheet and beautiful charts to report finances over a period. Being a the owner of a small company and a freelancer Wave has been a life saver against all the expensive accouting software out there.

Cons: To be honest there is nothing I would like to complain about but since I want to unbiased there is just one thing they could improve on and that is the time taken to save new transactions is a bit slow and the UI looks terrible on mobile. That is to say it is not mobile friendly, and they do not have a native application for mobile as well.

• Reviewed on 2018/10/12
Kili T.
business owner
Consumer Goods, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/03/03

"Easiest Free Accounting Software I Have Found"

Comments: I was very positive. I was able to get my accounting done for my consulting business done fairly easily.

Pros: This software is perfect for freelancers and consultants. I can important my transactions from my bank and categorize them, just like with paid plans, but for free. Since it is free, I expected customer service to be non-existent, but they do respond and resolve issues through their messaging system. You can also share info with your accountant. Great value!

Cons: I like most features other than the fact that I cannot categorize items as an expense if money is coming in, which would be helpful for bank trial deposits and such, but I'm sure there are other ways of doing it.

• Reviewed on 2020/03/03
Luis M.
Luis M.
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/10

"Great software for beginners"

Comments: Overall Wave has been a tremendous software for us. It has helped us to grow and understand our finances. It has helped us to better understand our business income and expenses to better forecast for the future.

Pros: Since the software is mostly free to use it's phenomenal for the beginning business owner. As a business owner this software has helped us to grow and understand our business finances very simply and easily.

Cons: The lack of mobile friendliness. Although there is an app for invoicing, an app for EVERYTHING would be better. You should be able to use an app to view and control everything you can from the web platform.

• Reviewed on 2020/11/10
Martha W.
Owner / Rental Manager
Events Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/06/01

"Great Invoicing & Account Software"

Comments: It's been great! The support is helpful but rarely needed because the system is so easy to use. I highly recommend it.

Pros: Wave is AMAZING! When I first started our business I looked high and low for a simple to use, elegantly designed, and inexpensive option for invoicing and Wave was the only one I found that hit all the marks. They have a sleek, beautiful design that is easy to use even for beginners and the software works extremely well for small-medium size businesses. They also offer seamless online payments, reminders, & payroll if needed. Overall we have been very happy with the program.

Cons: Not as many accountants are comfortable using anything other than quickbooks at this point but I've found the pro's far outweigh this con.

• Reviewed on 2019/06/01
Executive Director
  • Reviewed on 2017/11/11

"Provides basic accounting with the best price (none!) and functions 95% of the time."

Comments: It's no cost and it helps me keep track of where my money is going, and provides reports for taxes at the end of the year.

Pros: The cost
The relative ease of use
Easy to understand reports
Helpful for end of year taxes and business financial review
It's great that it imports directly from my bank account so I don't miss accounting

Cons: Customer support is only via Email with the free version. While it imports most of the time, about once a month I have to wait a week before it integrates my bank transactions. Every now and then it duplicates entries and I have to watch for that. It also offers no directions on what accounting terms mean. I am a small business owner with no accounting experience - a little help in that department would be nice.

• Reviewed on 2017/11/11
Content Marketing Professional
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/09/29

"Best Accounting Software thats FREE"

Comments: As a freelancer and someone that's not great with financial accounting, wave has really made it easy and effortless to track my sales, expenses, and create professional looking estimates and invoices. Moreover, its super easy to send clients payment reminders which makes it less awkward, and increases the likelihood of getting paid on time.

Pros: Apart from the fact that you can use all the features (except for online payments) for free, the features itself are great. The app has everything you could possibly need to run your own business - even if you're a financial dummy like me. Makes everything super easy!

Cons: I wish there were more options in the invoicing section. For example, if I wanted to add optional line items in an estimate, or split payments.

• Reviewed on 2020/09/29
Gillian C.
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2018/02/07

"Excellent product for tiny businesses"

Comments: It provides all my invoicing, expense tracking and tax reporting needed for my business.

Pros: I have a business with just me for staffing. I needed accounting software, but didn't want Quickbooks (overkill for my small business). After searching and finding this (free of all things) option, I tried it out and haven't looked elsewhere since. This is probably the only product where I've actually read the Terms and Conditions (they're fun to read). Aside from that, they make the accounting easy, are always upgrading and improving their offerings and provide responsive customer support. It is quite robust and if you have a bigger business, they offer more for your needs (there may be fees involved at that point).

Cons: Slower to receive bank payments.
I can accept payments through Wave for a transaction fee. Credit card transactions have a higher fee and show up in my account fairly quick. The bank payment transaction fees are lower, but it does take 5+ days from my client paying to my receiving the funds in my account.

• Reviewed on 2018/02/07
Joshua E.
Joshua E.
  • Reviewed on 2018/03/07

"I love wave! I could not do business without it. It's easy to use, fast, and efficient."

Comments: I can easily keep track of my sales. The invoices are customizable and can be emailed straight from the program. Everything looks very professional and makes record keeping so easy. I can easily turn the online payment off or on as needed, which is important for a small business although I do love the ability to have my customers pay online if they need to. I truly love that my business stays organized because of Wave. Can you tell I'm a huge fan?

Pros: I can easily keep track of my expenses and my sales. I know exactly where my business stands financially and have easily-accessed records to prove it all.

Cons: I do with the app worked more like the website so maybe in the future, the two will be more alike. That's really the only area for improvement I can think of.

• Reviewed on 2018/03/07
Ruffina F.
Director/Owner
Real Estate, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/19

"Excellent and free accounting software!"

Comments: I switched from expensive Quickbooks to Wave and found it so easy to use.

Pros: Easy to use, consumer-friendly interface. I like that it was all online, allowing me easy access anywhere and across all devices. And it was free! A key feature I enjoy is a view of my financials at a glance. There are always graphics generated giving you a snapshot of your company at the moment. Plus, it’s easy to get your accounting reports.

Cons: Nothing to dislike about this software. It was a breeze right from the start. I was able to teach myself how to use it.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/19
Leia P.
Leia P.
Restaurants, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/08/11

"Free Accounting System"

Pros: I love that Wave Accounting offers their software for free with online access. I have an accounting degree and used Quickbooks for years. When the price of the software began to increase even just for simple entrepreneurial access I began looking for less expensive options. Wave offers everything that Quickbooks does but for free!

Cons: I've been using Wave Accounting for a little over 2 years now and haven't had any complaints yet based on my use and the price.

• Reviewed on 2021/08/11
Alberto O.
E-Learning, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/08

"Best FREE accounting system there is. No contest"

Comments: Wave was a great software we used when starting out our company. It can honeslty handle everything a small business would need and more. It also offers Done-for-You payroll services at a very low entry price. They can also process your paid invoices at the industry-standard 2.9% + .30/transaction fee. We were overall very happy with the software but eventually outgrew it after a little over a year and moved to QBO.

Pros: Wave offers a very comprehensive accounting and bookkeeping platform at a very low cost....FREE! It does 95% of what any freelancer, self-employed, or small business owner would need.

Cons: The reporting on the software can be a little limited. It has your basic P+L, Balance Sheet, and other accounting reports. Yet, to get to the real nitty-gritty of your business the reporting can be lacking.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/08