JumpCloud Directory Platform Reviews

Filter by:

• Overall

About JumpCloud Directory Platform

The JumpCloud Directory Platform reimagines the directory as a complete platform for identity, access, and device management.

Learn more about JumpCloud Directory Platform

Renato O.
IT Engineer in UK

Great Platform

4 last month New

Comments: Jumpcloud has helped us move to one platform for Security, MDM and in the future I'm sure we will move for software updates and rolling software to users. I'm really enjoying the new features and roadmaps that Jumpcloud will bring to us all.

Pros:

Jumpcloud has several features that will bring ease of use to you life. The simplicity of the system and the ease of understanding is key. Going from a brand name MDM to using Jumpcloud was super easy. The everyday management and the use of it, is definite stand out for me in terms of using Jumpcloud.

Cons:

Jumpcloud has alot of items, some are less relevant. But one negative aspect, and this is getting better, is the possibility to push macOs application to users. This is still fiddly but I'm sure that Jumpcloud will come out with a solution.

Trevor M.
Operations Engineer in US

Look out Microsoft AD...

5 last month New

Comments: I was hired into my organization to bring on a directory platform and consolidate our IT practices among users and computers. I came from a microsoft active directory shop, but my new company was not interested in AD. That was a seemingly tall task, until I found JumpCloud. I thoroughly enjoy coming into work and using jumpcloud to build the next era of our IT practices and procedures. We are primarily focused on SSO at the moment, and that is proving to be very simple to configure. I am looking forward to getting devices managed with JC in the next coming months using their pre-defined policies, as well as their command runner feature and powershell module. JumpCloud will soon be a serious competitor to Microsoft's admin suite, and I am very happy to be on board.

Pros:

SSO integrations are incredibly easy to configure, no matter if you are using a prebuilt configuration or need to make a custom connector. Having SSO, LDAP, Radius, MFA in the same platform as device authentication and configuration policies is something I have not found outside of Microsoft AD and JumpCloud. There are remote management and monitoring tools out there that claim to do these things, but so far JumpCloud has proven to be incredibly simple. I am constantly amazed that my tests just work within the first few tries. I am used to Microsoft environments where testing gets very tedious and gives minimal feedback on how to make things work. JumpCloud supports MacBooks like a champion. If your office is heavily invested in MacBooks, and you are looking for an easy way to centrally manage authentication and hardening, JumpCloud is the tool for you. By far my favorite feature is "Submit an idea" right in the admin console. You get the sense that they really care about their admins and want to make a tool that is always getting better.

Cons:

1) No nested user groups! I feel this is essential for identity and access governance. 2) The device policies that they have available cover a lot of the base security hardening needs, but I am excited to see just how much of the various supported OS jumpcloud will eventually be able to tap into. I would love to see JC mirror Active Directory Group Policies as much as possible, and continue to get more configurations added for MacOS. 3) iOS and Android devices are not able to be managed by JumpCloud, but I have been told this is coming by the end of 2021/early 2022. 4) Only TOTP MFA is supported for the admin console, and after getting SSO set up on a lot of tools the pain of that is getting to me, but I know they are working on this feature as well. 5) I personally believe that a remote desktop tool would make JumpCloud the king of IT tools.

Alex G.
Security Analyst in Canada

Awesome software, awesome people

5 last month New

Pros:

The ease of use as well as the Slack lounge + support team is quick to respond.

Cons:

I have not encountered any situations yet where the software was not able to meet my needs.

Edan S.
Manager, Information Security and Infrastructure in US
Internet, 51-200 Employees

It's your directory service, in the clouds. Free yourself from AD.

5 last month New

Comments: Faults aside, I love JumpCloud.
I'd never go back to AD.
Multi-platform endpoint management is huge.
Apple MDM is the answer to our Mac admin needs.
VPP and software deployment is getting there. This is an Apple-created issue as much as anything and JumpCloud is working to provide a best-in-class solution. There not there yet, but getting there.
The pricing situation, breaking things out into feature-gated buckets is, annoying to say the least.
I get it, they have to show growth. They'll likely IPO in the near future.
They just raised a ton of cash and should see accelerated feature growth.
I can't think of a single thing I'd replace it with. If I had to go back to AD... well, let's say the kindest thing I can say about AD is not very kind at all.
Things like MDM policies are lacking in terms of their canned, out-of-the-box selection. That makes sense, to a point. Yes, you can create your own policies as you likely did w/ any other MDM, but solutions such as Meraki and JAMF, while... different, offer a ton of options for pre-defined policies that you just need to fill in.
Wifi for example. Re-writing my own policies when JumpCloud's RADIUS certs expire - forget it. This should be a template in their console. Fill in your SSID and JumpCloud auto-generates a policy, signs it, and pushes it. I shouldn't have to maintain tons of policies.

Pros:

It's cloudy, SaaSy, and requires no on-prem or self-managed hardware to maintain.

Cons:

Feature rollout is random. Like w/ any software, sometimes my prorities are hit, sometimes they feel forgotten. What's important to me and my company's use-case isn't always going to match up with what matters to JumpCloud. That being said, certain features are a long time in the offing.

Adam B.
Director of IT in US
Media Production, 2-10 Employees

Avoiding the mistakes of others...

4 last year

Comments: I watched our sister company who was all Mac-based turn to the dark-side and try to take on PC client machines along with active directory...it's been a slow churn for them. No unified passwords, a home built radius server held together by a band-aid and Mac clients that see no benefit and 2 AD servers that no one truly understands...it's like some mystical dark art. We on the other hand, spun up 10 free users on Jumpcloud and never looked back, we have Linux/Mac and PC machines...as well as virtual machines all running Jumpcloud. We have Single Sign On between VPN, Wifi, NAS, System Accounts, Email... and it's all controlled from the cloud. They will never admit their mistake and come over to Jumpcloud, but I did learn by watching their slow, fragmented process for user/device management. Glad I went with JC!

Pros:

I love that this DaaS product "just works" right out of the box. There is plenty of good documentation to read if you are cautious like me. I found that many features just worked and were intuitive to implement. We went from a small company that was ravaged by "password fatigue" - we separate passwords for everything with no central password app. It was a nightmare. After deploying Jumpcloud, we were able to make use of many of the features hidden in our networking gear. Within a month, we had unique (per user) credentials to get into everything. VPN, Wifi, NAS, System Accounts, Email...SSO. The password complexity is adjustable and can rotate. 2FA is simple to deploy and is icing on the cake. All of this in a Mac, Linux and PC environment....you really can't ask Active Directory to do that.

Cons:

While the support for features and processes pertaining to Jumpcloud are documented well. At times the instructions can seem vague and maybe presume too much. However, support personnel are just an email away...they will help you "stick to the script", they are not however always well-versed in real scenarios you may have on your job-site. Nonetheless, I'll give them a C+ for walking through a couple nerve-racking installs the first time through.

Ratko S.
ITM in Serbia

Freedom of choice, movemant, security, breaking AD chains - all with JC

5 last year

Comments: If you want to have or already have most of what is necessary in the Cloud, without the need for a DC server in the premises, to expand your intranet to the entire Internet, then you need DaaS. JumpCloud is simple but offers complex services.

Pros:

Quite complete solution, pretty simple but comprehensive. Management of users, machines, groups, solid connections with o365, cloud RADIUS option... And constant service improvement, which is very important in the software industry.

Cons:

Reliability of RADIUS service, addition of remote control.

Steve J.
IT Manager in US
Food Production, 51-200 Employees

JumpCloud is a solid solution for cloud directory.

4 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Really like that they constantly improve the service and have great customer service as well.

Pros:

The policy and directory features stand out. You can easily add a machine and take it away when necessary.

Cons:

There is some functionality that I sometimes spend a lot of time to get working properly.

Mark H.
Co-founder in Australia
Computer & Network Security, 2-10 Employees

Reliable product

5 2 years ago

Comments: Jumpcloud are always requesting feedback and improving their offering

Pros:

Minimal downtime and easy to navigate GUI.

Cons:

Access to logs is via API only making them hard to decipher at times.

Michael G.
Solutions Architect in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

One of a kind cloud product

5 2 years ago

Comments: Solution to meet the requirement by having his/her own unique user account, therefore, no accounts are being shared.

Pros:

As a replacement for an onsite server, JumpCloud leads the pack because they support companies that are very small with high growth potential, to take advantage of the software for free with limitations of number of users/computers. This allows the company using it, to grow and as it does, gives me an easy decision to subscribe to the service, without reinventing a solution. Another PRO is that is actually releases updates that have a beneficial use; JumpCloud has never stopped adding new or improved features. I have to research software to make recommendations that are best for the client and business. They choose JumpCloud.

Cons:

As it relates to Directory-as-a-Service features, are policies for user/computer functionality. Such as standard policy to lock the computers after 15 minutes. It incorporates basic policies to apply to the machine or user, but not any near the amount Local Group Policy offers.

Mike K.
CEO & Founder in US

Great Software and Service

5 2 years ago

Comments: Very good and very helpful with managing dispersed machines across many different clients.

Pros:

Automatically updates and pushes changes out to devices in near real-time. Works with a host of services and grows every day. Has many of the main features of a DaaS, without being overly complex or difficult to configure. Windows policy configuration without a domain for small businesses.

Cons:

Lacks substantial Mac and Linux policy configuration.

Felix G.
Senior Systems Engineer in Singapore
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 10 000+ Employees

Best cloud based directory service

5 last year

Pros:

Constantly improving feature sets.. new policies and functions being developed constantly Friendly interface for sysadmins. RESTApi enabled backend.

Cons:

Logging to external syslog from admin gui is not present. Older features don't have reporting enabled where new features all have logging in mind when building Often falling back to REST API to perform tasks which not available on admin gui.

Justin S.
DevOps Engineer in US

Pricey, gets the job done, but not Active Directory

5 5 months ago

Comments: In a lot of ways, the world still revolves around Active Directory. JumpCloud isn't going to help you with that. However, it has advantages in the sheer scope of what it includes that, I believe, put it over the top. Give it a look, and don't let Microsoft's legacy platform control what everyone standardizes on.

Pros:

JumpCloud is perhaps the most serious alternative on the market today to Active Directory. In addition to providing a directory service, it includes MDM, RADIUS, and plenty of other technologies that Active Directory does. I love having access to everything in one place with nothing to maintain.

Cons:

It isn't Active Directory. JumpCloud is a great alternative to Active Directory, but when you're dealing with tools that are built specifically for Active Directory, you're still out of luck.

Ryan K.
IT Representative in US

Sportsdigita | JumpCloud Review

5 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

The UI is very clean aesthetically and easy to navigate. This makes identity management a whole lot easier.

Cons:

Zero-touch deployment is not super simple to set up. I may need to contact support for assistance.

Robert G.
IT Director in US
Architecture & Planning, 201-500 Employees

Microsoft AD Replacement in a Covid Environment

4 last month New

Comments: JumpCloud allowed us to transform our outdated Microsoft AD platform into one that was exceptionally functional in our highly distributed, covid-disrupted. It also allowed us to manage and keep track of all our workstations and users, manage them in ways we never before could.

Pros:

Setup, distribution, administration and management have all be exceptionally straight-forward. For us, it was the right product at the right time at a reasonable cost.

Cons:

Other than some initial ADMU issues that have since been corrected, we've found no major issues with JumpCloud.

Mark M.
VP Operations in US
Telecommunications, 2-10 Employees

Great for our small user base

5 last month New

Comments: It allowed me to standardize access to all of het company's data assets very quickly and easily.

Pros:

The best part of Jumpcloud is the ease of use for setting up things that we need quickly.

Cons:

There are offerings here that I know nothing or next to nothing about. ot the failt of Jumpcloud - I need to spend the time

Neeraj T.
Manager in India
Industrial Automation, 501-1 000 Employees

It's quite good as we are using since last 8 months.

4 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Excellent !!

Pros:

It's managed easily other OS platform and integration is also easy.

Cons:

user handling and management is very easy.

Rudolf C.
Network Engineer in Philippines

Jumpcloud Active Directory

4 last month New

Comments: When MacOS has been cloned for backups, we encountered error with the Jumpcloud agent requiring it to be uninstalled manually and deleted manually then reinstallation took place.

Pros:

It was very easy to use because of its GUI dashboard. Single Sign On was so helpful that when you configure or reset a password - it's real time when applied to devices.

Cons:

If we can integrate features to update OS aside from installed applications, that would be awesome!

Sandy A.
Helpdesk Administrator in US
Media Production, 51-200 Employees

Easy to use as an administrator

5 last month New

Comments: Experience is great with user interface and SSO Groups

Pros:

It is easy to use as an admin to change passwords, add SSO groups, add users

Cons:

I don't feel the MDM is up to speed with others available at this time.

Donald H.
network administrator in US
Computer Networking, 2-10 Employees

Ease of use

4 2 years ago

Comments: Used this product at my clients sites that are a small office and not a domain. Works best in these environments.

Pros:

Ease of deployment and ease of use when managing end users and Nas access.

Cons:

When changing password it would not flow from jump cloud to O365. You would have to change in O365 and push to jumpcloud.

Vinicius S.
Software Engineer in Brazil

JumpCloud Directory Review

5 last month New

Comments: Trying to deploy as active directory permanently.

Pros:

Maturity, stability, liability, cost, support.

Cons:

Easy to use, cost, rich documentation and support.

Susan F.
Operations Manager in Canada
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

JumpCloud

5 2 years ago

Comments: We are using this to be able to manage the users on our devices as well as to manage some of the features and push scripts out as needed.

Pros:

This software was very easy to use and set up. Customer Service was great during the set up process. The knowledge base was also quite useful. I ended up using the knowledge base a lot more and used Customer Service for further clarification as needed.

Cons:

Nothing at the moment. We are very satisfied with this product. It met our current needs.

Greg C.
Greg C.
Engagement Manager in US

Great for managing cloud resources

5 3 years ago

Comments: We needed a way to manage resources that were out of the office environment like remote empolyee's.

Pros:

This has a great integration with Google allowing the ability to manage resources outside of the office environment. Works with pc's and macs. Once we purchased the software we were provided a success manager who helped with the rollout from step 1 to completion.

Cons:

So far nothing bad to say about it. Anytime we've ran into an issue they were quick to provide a resolution.

Dan H.
Head of IT in UK

Finally you can step away from Active Directory

4 2 years ago

Comments: at present we have a poorly implemented AD for windows users, and nothing for mac, Jumpcloud allows us to manage all endpoints

Pros:

having being frustrated with AD for many years, it's great to see a solution that is capable of truely replacing AD and supports policy for windows and Mac. customer on boarding is superb and there are new features added all the time

Cons:

I think there's a couple of areas where things can be harmonized, IE starting policies that should be rolled out easier. for example screen lock time out, is a policy for mac, windows, and linux, why not harmonize some policies that are cross platform.

Ahmed E.
EIT Service Desk in Egypt
Computer Software, 1 001-5 000 Employees

Using it for everyday administration tasks

4 last month New

Pros:

The easy of use, It didn't take that much to learn how to use it and it's making my job a lot easier.

Cons:

If there is an option to sync every attribute to Microsoft Azure, that would be great.

IT Support in US
Hospital & Health Care, 2-10 Employees

JumpCloud

5 last year

Comments: Fantastic replacement for active directory and moving your on-premise IT infrastructure into the cloud.

Pros:

Easy as pie to implement, able to import users from G Suite.

Cons:

I don't have any gripes yet. We'll need to use the product more to generate any, That's so far the product has been rock solid.