QuickBooks Payroll Reviews

Filter by:

• Overall

About QuickBooks Payroll

Manages small business finances. Instant access to customer, vendor and employee information. Available in an online version.

Learn more about QuickBooks Payroll

Anna M.
accountant
Accounting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/09/07

"expensive for small entities"

Comments: ability to block out other users not a custom part of functionality; does not currently remit deductions or file ROE forms so value for money is questionable for small entities

Pros: integration with QBO is amazing - reports and details are great

Cons: customer service is hit or miss (often the agent is clueless about Canadian payroll and is simply following a flowchart of questions)

• Reviewed on 2021/09/07
Ross H.
Consumer Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/01/19

"Decent Product"

Comments: Very good product, does what you need it to.
However a few more detail options would be good.

Pros: Easy to use.
Offers integration through third party apps

Cons: Unable to specify an Employee class type.

• Reviewed on 2021/01/19
Peggy C.
White Glove Wizard
  • Reviewed on 2021/02/02

"If you are using contractors, QB online Premium is not a good solution"

Comments: Overall good product, but frustrating for the segment that manages contractor payments.

Pros: pretty easy to use
set up easily
integrated in QuickBooks Online

Cons: Biggest issues are:
-Customer service transfers you around many times because no one owns the issues with payroll with contractors.
- Time drain - Normal issues have either taken multiple calls to resolve, or have taken hours on the phone because if an agent hangs up, they cannot continue to work on your issue - they have to take the next call - so they waste your time waiting while someone tries to read the full manual to figure it out, when in fact, it is a recent programming changes issue.
- Integration with other Apps - You cannot integrate a time card app because only hours are uploaded from app to QuickBooks and we cannot map $/hr pay for contractors, only employees.
Who focuses on contractor payments?
- RECENT "improvements" and rate increase double the cost of the tool for my company.

• Reviewed on 2021/02/02
Paul A.
Small Business Consultant
Financial Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/01

"Affordable, full service payroll"

Comments: As an Intuit ProAdvisor, full service payroll is an added value to the reselling of a discounted QuickBooks Online account. As an additional service to my retainer clients, I can process their payroll on any interval they choose, and I can handle any type of compensation arrangement they have with their employees. The best part is, it only takes a few minutes and I can do it all effortlessly through the mobile app. And since the ability to pay independent contractors via direct deposit was introduced, my Bookkeeping clients love the fact that they no longer have to worry about writing out checks to their contractors. Filing Forms W-2 (for employees) and Forms 1099-MISC (for independent contractors) is a breeze at the end of the year and paying all their quarterly payroll taxes takes only a few minutes every three months.

Pros: Cost is much less expensive than any payroll services company. Direct deposit payments, employee portals, Form W-2 and Form 1099-MISC filing, quarterly tax filing, electronic tax payments, direct deposit payments for independent contractors, powerful and customizable financial reporting, easy collection of Form W-9 information, reliable mobile app for process payroll from anywhere, support for multiple pay rates, benefits and withholding support, and more.

Cons: QuickBooks Payroll is available for both QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online accounts. With QuickBooks Online, you are dependent on the availability of an Internet connection at the time you wish to process payroll.

• Reviewed on 2019/03/01
Kathy J.
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/28

"QuickBooks review"

Comments: [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was great; however, it took me over 30 minutes to get to him. Once I got to him, he was able to resolve my issue pretty quickly. He was very professional and knowledgeable.

Pros: Entering and sending payroll is very easy, generally.

Cons: It is difficult to access some information and not everything transferred over from our desktop version as it should have.

• Reviewed on 2020/01/28
John G.
accountant
Accounting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/03/23

"Full service is great choice for small S-Corps"

Comments: I am a cash flow designer for small businesses. I put structures in place to get them moving their money around their small business for useful reporting and cash flow predictability. Often they are transitioning to S-Corp status and needing to level up their approach to Payroll. I like Quickbooks full service payroll for this.

Pros: Weekly Payroll at no extra cost, which is great for my clients who are primarily small S-Corps not used to running payroll; I have to get that money into their account so they don't mix up their funds and spend out of their business accounts on their personal life. I also like how when there are issues, they walk me through how to fix them in the interface really well. As a non-expert on payroll, using it for only a few clients, this has been really excellent.

Cons: I wish it was easier to change bank accounts for the draw. Over time I move clients from single checking accounts to split accounts with operations expenses separated in certain ways; at some interval I tend to want to move the payroll draw to a new bank account. This is hard, in part because the settings inside payroll are housed in a weird interface that locks up in weird ways if you login from various accounts at the same time. Feels like old old old software suddenly, not modern Intuit stuff.

• Reviewed on 2020/03/23
Salvador E.
Events Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/04/01

"Simple solution to running payroll via mobile device"

Comments: My overall experience with both the software and support have been nothing but the best. I think the best feature of Quickbooks Payroll is the service you receive when talking with a solutions agent.

Pros: I enjoy the use of the mobile app to easily review payroll and pay my employees in a timely manner. I also enjoy the functionality of time sheets compatibility to payroll.

Cons: There is nothing. The call back with support is amazing and is withing a reasonable time period to reach back out when I needed the service.

• Reviewed on 2020/04/01
Wissam E.
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/29

"Horrible Direct Deposit"

Comments: try it and you will find out.

Pros: It is cheap and integrated with Quickbooks

Cons: Good luck with their new Risk Assessment Department. I have been trying to do Direct Deposit for 3 months in my new company and they cannot get their act together. It is harder than getting a mortgage. My other companies are fine but now they keep asking more and more info to just run $2000 a week in payroll. All because "I am a new company and they front the direct desposit funds". I really do not care. Any other payroll company can do this. They should state that they do not offer direct deposit for new companies.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/29
Kara P.
Treasurer
Aviation & Aerospace, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/16

"QuickBooks Full service Payroll"

Comments: The service is great. I have used it since the first day our company opened. Last week I spoke to a payroll specialist, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]
, regarding some payroll checks that I couldn't reconcile. She not only helped with that problem but stayed on the phone with me for almost an hour and a half and walked me through a ton of other bookkeeping problems I had. She was super friendly and her excitement made me feel good about Bookkeeping! I learned more from [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] in a couple of hours than I have since I started using Quickbooks 3 years ago. The full service Payroll department is the best of all the Quickbooks services offered.

Pros: They handle everything Payroll related. The can share the screen with you and show you how to fix problems.

Cons: Sometimes takes a while to get someone on the phone.

• Reviewed on 2020/02/16
Steven F.
Management Consulting
  • Reviewed on 2016/04/20

"Service and support have taken a huge turn for the worse"

Pros: Initially, before they took data away from the end user, I liked everything.

Cons: The customer service has become deplorable as of this writing. Never used to be that way. I have been without my payroll data since 1/16, and after 16 separate phone calls, each running through the same steps over and over, the same results. Nothing. Keep being informed that the "engineering team" is on it, but still no resolutions. They promise to call you back later that day, no call. So, I call back the next morning, and have to go through the entire scenario yet again. At this point in time, I'm researching other payroll companies. Intuit keeps sending me emails reminding me about payroll being due, tax forms being due... and I can't access any of the information to file it. Today, 4/19/16, I was told that there was a big software problem, that I wasn't the only one experiencing it... but, it literally took them 16 separate phone calls from me, no return phone calls from them AT ALL, and me finally getting angry and raising cain before they divulged that information. Not at all happy with Intuit right now. Several years ago, they surveyed users as to how to best run payroll. I was very VERY happy with having the data remain with me, backed up with them, and me filing electronically with the information in my computer. They decided to have everything "secured" in their hands. I stated my concern that the potential arrises to having our information trapped if they have any software or hardware issues... "Oh, no sir!! That would never happen!!" .... and now, I have zero access to my accounts and information. And the only response I got today after raising hell, is, "You have to wait and be patient, sir." ... I would have to say be cautious when deciding to use Intuit right now.

• Reviewed on 2016/04/20
Robyn S.
Owner / Officer
Real Estate, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/18

"Quickbooks Payroll does the job!"

Comments: I appreciate the little add-on services that came with QuickBooks Online Payroll - like giving employees access to view their stubs, access to Tsheets, and the ability to pay contractors via direct deposit.

Pros: For a small business with an average of less than 10 employees, it has everything we need. The ability to process direct deposits for the next day, automatic tax calculations and payments, and it's integrated with our Quickbooks Online so all my reports that I need are automatically updated with payroll expenses. The customer support is also fantastic! Really great knowledge when it comes to payroll.

Cons: Not as many reports as Quickbooks desktop has and limited in the customization of reports.

• Reviewed on 2020/02/18
Carol L.
Office Mgr/Bookkeeper
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/03/03

"New to payroll"

Comments: So far everything seems like it will work for me well,

Pros: Helpful for me with making my job easier.

Cons: Put in the dashes in the dates, fix the year.

• Reviewed on 2020/03/03
Sales Associate
Real Estate, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/28

"Payroll Pleasure"

Comments: The biggest benefit is ease of access and paying taxes. It takes the stress out of having to calculate your payroll expenses and being able to select your taxes to be paid through QB is the best!

Pros: Once payroll is set up it is really a set and forget item in Quickbooks. The thing that I like the most is the tax payments, I don't even need to think about the payroll cost, it is done for you.

Cons: You need to consider where your employees live when you choose to have out of state employees. The fees you pay to QB and also the set up of taxes all need to be considered.

• Reviewed on 2020/05/28
Angi B.
General Manager
Wine & Spirits, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/21

"QBO Payroll"

Pros: The ease of use and the remote ability are the biggest pros!

Cons: Our biggest concern would be the cost of the software.

• Reviewed on 2020/05/21
Rehan V.
Staff Accountant
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/22

"Quick Payroll"

Comments: Overall very satisfied with this payroll, very easy to put all the details and generate pay checks.

Pros: Well you can disbursed all your payroll check using the quickbooks payroll and all of the taxes will be calculated automatically. You can also pay your liabilities thru this software directly and all your payroll forms can be generated thru this software.

Cons: I like this software but now the prices are going up every year so its hard for some to afford that kind of money.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/22
Margarita L.
Account Executive
Construction, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/04/10

"Great team!"

Comments: I am very satisfied with the Quickbooks Payroll team.

Pros: The accessibility of the software is great, I can access from anywhere. The quickbooks team is always very responsive and try to get my issue resolved the first time around.

Cons: Sometimes the wait time to call customer service was a little long, but with the new feature where they reach out and call you when its your turn it saves me much time that I can dedicate to other aspects of running my company

• Reviewed on 2020/04/10
Richard D.
Bookkeeper
Construction, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/09

"All you'll need"

Comments: QuickBooks Payroll has given us stable and steady payroll service. I feel the pros outweigh the cons.

Pros: This payroll software takes care of everything. Taxes, health insurance, hsas, unemployment, and child support. The program also updates your tax tables so you are always in the know.

Cons: For a small business like mine the program is almost too big with too many bells and whistles. I have ended up turning some features off. One can get lost without the proper accounting background.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/09
Sarah W.
Bookkeeper
Accounting, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/08/04

"Another GREAT product by Intuit"

Comments: Overall this is a good product if you a small amount of employees.

Pros: The product is very user friendly and easy to use. Highly recommend the software for your payroll needs.

Cons: I feel that the reporting is very lacking with this product. Better reporting and it would be my go to.

• Reviewed on 2020/08/04
Brenda D.
Customer Service Manager
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/28

"[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] Solved our Problems"

Comments: No problems

Pros: [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] swiftly analyzed the problems were having and recommended we use a different browser. Took over our computer and fixed problems we were having with a missing gear symbol, etc. Like Most - Ease of use in Invoicing customers.

Cons: We do not have any suggestions at this time.

• Reviewed on 2020/02/28
Naomi B.
Front Desk / Accounting
Medical Practice, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/03/08

"Easy and Usefull"

Comments: Having a chance to use the software with a free trial period and no obligation or long-term contract is great! Getting started was easy and everything runs smooth. Your customer service is top-notch. My few questions were answered very quickly. I highly recommend Quickbooks Payroll to anyone looking to streamline their business.

Pros: Very easy to use; virtually foolproof. Takes very little time to learn nuances of the program. It’s great

• Reviewed on 2018/03/08
Sue S.
Business owner
Printing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/12

"Great customer service"

Comments: The customer help staff are very professional and positive. Rarely does it take long to get someone to help me. I can complete payroll in just a few minutes and print out a variety of reports to keep track of everything. There is lots of flexibility in the reports that make it easy to quickly get the specific information needed for a loan or audit .

Pros: Quickbooks is simple to use and I am able to make most changes quickly and easily. When I call for help, the people are always positive and professional.

Cons: I have wished I could speak to one of the actual payroll tax accountants. If there is a problem, you talk to the person who takes the calls and they relay your problem/information to the specialists, which is time consuming and can lead to misunderstanding. Also, QB does not actually file and pay the L&I tax in Washington state, so I need to make sure I do it and that my numbers match theirs.

• Reviewed on 2020/05/12
Pam L.
Office Admin
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/16

"Good payroll software"

Comments: This software enables you to keep working within the same program for invoicing, bill paying and payroll. The reports are fairly easy to navigate and are very helpful.

Pros: This software guides you through set-up of payroll for all employees. Helps set up weekly, quarterly and annual taxes.

Cons: If your payroll has to be modified, it is not easy to change the payroll tax information.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/16
Roxie H.
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 2-10 Employees

"QBO Payroll"

Comments: We have always received quick, friendly service when we have had an issue for which we needed help.

Pros: We love the ease and the the time saved.
Also, not having to do all those government reports.
We sync with TSheets and love being able to run payroll quickly.

Cons: We have no cons.
We absolutely have no cons!

Ila K.
Financial and Administrative Mananger
Alternative Medicine, 2-10 Employees

"QuickBooks Review"

Pros: It's easy to contact customer support for help. The technicians are always very knowledgable and friendly.

Cons: There should be clearer instructions about the W2 filing process. I've had to call in numerous times to ask very simple questions just because there isn't enough print material.

Gabriel B.
Performing Arts, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/20

"Payroll Set Up"

Comments: Great customer service

Pros: Easy to use and properly mapped and linked

Cons: Haven't found any yet, seems pretty easy to use

• Reviewed on 2020/05/20