McGraw-Hill Connect Reviews

by McGraw-Hill Education

• Overall

About McGraw-Hill Connect

Connect is easy-to-use homework and learning management solution that embeds learning and adaptive tools to improve student results.

Learn more about McGraw-Hill Connect

Jonathan R.
Medical Student
Higher Education, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/25

"Fantastic resource with a lot of hidden gems. "

Pros: Overall, it is a highly valuable resource for both students and instructors alike. It allows users to have remote access to the text that is used in the classroom if they are not able to access a copy of the textbook. There are also multimedia resources and quizzes available for some texts/resources. I loved using this in some of my university courses.

Cons: It can be a little challenging to navigate as a new user. I also think that a lot of instructors are unaware of the full resources that are available to their students. Some of the resources can seem a little “hidden” at first but once you’ve used it a couple of times you can unlock its full potential.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/25
Hannah R.
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/11

"Good, but not great"

Comments: I like this software a lot. My class uses it 2-3 times a week. There was recently a hiccup that wiped out all of my previous plans, so I'm having to sort through ALL the things again. It's really a pain. They make it easy for kids to log-in via a computer or tablet browser using "simplified log-in". It would be better if they could also use the app with simplified log-in, but as it stands, it's either app w/ complicated log in, or tablet browser with easy log-in. I hear the app is buggy, but I don't really use that because it's easier for first graders to use simplified log-in.

Pros: I love the options & diversity of materials included in this software - games, review, lessons, etc.
I love that parents/students can access these at home and use them as review.

Cons: Deleting things on your planner is the biggest pain - it's all right click here and confirm there.
I love all the materials, but there's got to be an easier way to get rid of lessons/activities that you don't want.
Also, I really dislike that so many of the activities have almost the same name, even if they're different activities.

• Reviewed on 2019/09/11
Director Of Administration
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/22

"Good Digital Resource Platform - But Could Make A Lot Of Improvements"

Comments: In a time where access to digital materials is a must-have, Connect does the job - but doesn't go above and beyond.

Pros: As a teacher, I like that I can transform my classroom with the digital textbooks as resources available in Connect that accompany my print materials. Our school has setup automatic class rostering so it is great that I do not need to manage student user accounts or set up classrooms and add students. However, compared to some of its publisher competitors that I also utilize, it is way behind the curve in terms of function and UI.

Cons: The user-interface within Connect (both from a teacher and student user) could use some major upgrades. It seems that very little resources are put into the system and/or they are not utilizing user feedback to improve the product.

• Reviewed on 2020/05/22
Lecturer in Spanish
Higher Education, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/02/28

"Opinion of Language Course Preptor"

Pros: Compared to its competitors Connect is falling by the way side. While some of the features are easy, like grading, the cons definitely out weigh the pros.

Cons: I have been using McGraw-Hill Connect for six years now in an administrative role, where I create master sites then share them to other teachers and myself. Then as a teacher role, where I assess student learning, create assessments, assign work, and provide feedback. So, as a platform, Connect is OK. A few years ago, its interface was more appealing that many of its competitors, but in the past couple of years, the competitors have really stepped up to make the language learning experience online a more collaborative experience, while Connect has stuck to the bare bones exercises that lack innovation, collaboration, and do not provide a fun experience that would help the students study for intrinsic reasons. Additionally, building the sites every three years when new textbook editions are released is a tedious affair. Moreover, the customer service for students is time consuming that hardly ever produces results.

• Reviewed on 2019/02/28
Dawn M.
teacher
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/06/26

"MyMath"

Comments: I have used the MyMath program for close to ten years. I would like to see more review embedded. I do not like the way they have multiplication in 3rd grade crammed into 4-5 chapters and not really spread out as it needs to be for mastery.

Pros: I like that students and I both have digital access to the text. In addition we have access to games and homework sheets.

Cons: The assessment software is very cumbersome. It is not user friendly. I have tried on several occasions to create test and it is not worth the time I put into it. It has potential to be powerful, but just not well executed.

• Reviewed on 2020/06/26
Jason H.
Real Estate Sales Associate
Real Estate, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/15

"McGraw-Hill Connect - One of the Better LMS Integrations"

Comments: MH-Connect, by far, provides the best customer service from my experience.

Pros: McGraw-Hill Connect (or MHConnect) provides one of the best LTI integrations with Canvas, our institution's LMS. The MHConnect interfaces allows you to create assignments, quizzes, and exams and then sync them with Canvas. When students participate in these activities, they do so through the MHConnect interface, and then their scores are passed back to the Canvas grade book. We have multiple publisher integrations in our instance of Canvas. McGraw-Hill Connect continuously provides the most stable connection with little need for support. But when we do need support, we're able to resolve things very quickly with an actual person over the phone.

Cons: The interface for MHConnect could use a major refresh that includes enhancing the intuitiveness of performing key functions. For example, after creating assignments, quizzes, and exams, it's not immediately apparent that the instructor needs to then deploy those items to Canvas. It's frequently assumed that because their Canvas course is already linked to their MHConnect course, anything created will be automatically synced with Canvas. Also, changing certain settings for a course in MHConnect needs to be better communicated to the instructor.

• Reviewed on 2018/11/15
Alexandra S.
Teaching Assistant
Higher Education, 5 001-10 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/04/13

"Textbook and Homework Source"

Comments: I really enjoyed using McGraw-Hill for my accounting classes. I would recommend using it as an educational tool.

Pros: I was required to buy McGraw Connect to take my accounting homework in college. I also purchased my textbooks on McGraw which provided me useful study materials like flashcards and quizzes. My favorite tool is the interactive textbook that highlights important information.

Cons: One problem I had with the interactive textbook were the reminders to take the quiz. It would useful for there to be a way to turn off that notification because it was distracting.

• Reviewed on 2020/04/13
Ciara F.
Lab Assistant
Education Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/03/23

"Generally good"

Comments: Overall, this software accomplishes its goal of assigning online homework, but presents some challenges to students in the process.

Pros: This product allows professors to easily assign online homework and supplemental instruction to students.

Cons: There were some inconsistencies with how user friendly this software was. Occasionally answer submissions were marked incorrect although they were not actually wrong, which was frustrating for students.

• Reviewed on 2020/03/23
Franziska J.
office manager
  • Reviewed on 2020/04/28

"Great accompaniment to the math program we use"

Comments: It's worth having to enhance the classroom experience

Pros: The online features really enhance the instructional experience for both students and teachers in our school

Cons: Probably the cost of the whole program, it takes up a good chunk of our overall instructional budget

• Reviewed on 2020/04/28
Greg G.
Operations Fellow
Higher Education, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/08

"As a student, I am not a huge fan of McGraw-Hill Connect"

Comments: If we forget the price, McGraw-Hill Connect provides a good student experience. Unfortunately, for those of us who prefer paper textbooks, this platform does not lend itself to that community. I'd avoid it if possible.

Pros: Connect, for better or worse, does provide the best online textbook experience. Connect summarizes chapters nicely, it provides good study guides and the overall design is sleek. If you are forced to use an online textbook, this is a good platform to do it on.

Cons: The price is just ridiculous, at least from a student's perspective. Connect has completely gotten rid of the used textbook market, and considering that content does not change a lot from year to year, McGraw-Hill has capitalized on expiring licenses more than anything else.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/08
David Y.
Marketing Manager
Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/21

"McGraw-Hill Connect - Education in the 21st Century"

Comments: My overall experience with McGraw-Hill Connect has been positive. I sometimes feel that there are simply too many assignments, too much homework, and far too many quizzes, but at the same time, as a remote student, I'm saving tons of time that would otherwise be spent driving to a campus, and probably learning more in the process.

Pros: When I returned to college in 2017 to obtain my MBA, I was surprised how much everything had changed. For starters, I was earning my degree 100% online. This meant lots of e-books and e-learning tools, and both are found through McGraw-Hill Connect. What I like most about this software is that it's easy to get started and easy to maintain progress. The site stores your textbooks, and when you access a textbook, the application remembers where you left off. It's easy to tag and highlight text, sections, and pages. Toggling over to work assignments, you'll find these are easily mapped out so you always know what's due and when it's due (assuming your professor has properly set up the course, of course). I admit I found it all a bit intimidating at first, but now I quite enjoy the many features and functions this learning solution has to offer.

Cons: At times, especially when you first being navigating the site, it can be easy to get lost. And this, of course, can be really frustrating when you are on a class deadline. My advice is to navigate the site slowly and learn where everything is stored. A bit of practice will save a lot of headaches in the long run.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/21
Anna V.
Student
Higher Education, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/25

"The New Way of Learning"

Comments: Overall, this product is a great learning tool. It is also more affordable if you do the E-book option with the assignments instead of buying the college textbook and the assignments. You can highlight and take notes on the E-book too. I don't like carry a bunch of heavy books so I always preferred the E-books. The learning tools are great to build your knowledge on the material.

Pros: When I first started college years ago before I took time off I really struggled with school and learning. During my last few years of college teaching and learning had changed. My college started implementing Connect with various classes like Accounting, Statistics, Math, Business classes. I am sure there are others but I was in the Business program. With connect you can have homework assignments, online E-book, quizzes, tests to be completed on there. They have study materials like flashcards and practice problems to build your skills. My grades improved tremendously with this supplemental instruction.

Cons: The only cons for me was navigating the site. It can be tricky at first but once you utilize the program enough then you get the hang of it. Also the reading assignment sometimes froze on me, but that could be because I was at school using their WiFi and that can be spotty depending on how many students are on it at the same time.

• Reviewed on 2020/01/25
Cleaner
Education Management, 10 001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/03

"Extra Practice for students "

Comments: Student performance has gone up because they are able to access material and resources while not in the classroom. McGraw-Hill has a plethora of resources available for teachers and students for every subject offered.

Pros: Teachers are able to customize quizzes and assignments to fit what is needed for their particular group of students and class. Students have study tools and interactive modules to help understand material more fluently. Teachers can view reports so they can alter their teaching style and approach.

Cons: McGraw-Hill could use some updating to the appearance of the interface. It looks like it hasn't been changed. There is difficulty with connecting it as a third-party application. There is not a clear or simple way for students to communicate with their professor within McGraw-Hill. There needs to be better and more accessible versions such as for mobile devices to encourage use-on-the-go.

• Reviewed on 2019/03/03
La'toya A.
Technology Facilitator
Education Management, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/01/25

"Connecting with McGraw-Hill Connect "

Comments: Overall I love the software. Our K-6 ELA teachers use it daily in the classroom as their main ELA resource. The students love that they can log in and complete assignements assigned to them by their teacher.

Pros: I love that McGraw-Hill Connect made it easy for teachers to add the product license themselves for the teacher book and the student book. Teachers are also able to setup their own account.

Cons: i can say the only thing I don’t like about McGraw-Hill Connect software is the process for uploading students into the program. You have to use a excel template to type certain login credentials for each student. This process is okay on the front in of setting up your student accounts but we get several new students a month and it would be easier to just type those few students information directly into the program instead of completing the excel template and then waiting for it to upload.

• Reviewed on 2019/01/25
Cory M.
Photographer
Religious Institutions, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/09

"Bringing homework to the internet, McGraw-Hill Connect is a viable option for educators and students"

Comments: I am currently taking an online-based class to improve my skills. Connect allows me to complete homework assignments to further my education and ensure I have a good grasp of the material.

Pros: McGraw-Hill Connect allows educators and students to digitally assign and complete homework. Connect provides a variety of testing and work options, from timed, password protected quizzes to textbook readings and questions. Educators have the ability to choose options that fit their needs - should the students have access to the book to make a quiz open-book? Should they have the ability to check the correctness of their work (once? unlimited times?)? McGraw-Hill has designed problem sets that complement their textbooks. This means students are able to do homework directly related to the material they are learning. If desired, Connect has hint videos that walk students through the steps necessary to complete a problem.

Cons: The solutions provided by Connect are not overly helpful. At times, the hint videos or solutions will provide a way to solve a problem that is different than the method taught in the textbook. Connect could use some work on consistency in this area.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/09
Hannah D.
Clerical Assistant
Education Management, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/06

"Decent tool for class assignments/management "

Comments: McGraw-Hill Connect is very good for business classes and classes that use numerical data, but not so much for foreign language classes.

Pros: I used this when I was taking business classes. The format of how the homework questions are laid out in most classes is easy to follow. I also love how you can get hints or you can click the "book" link and it will take you right to the section of the book that the question pertains to.

Cons: The language courses on Connect are not very well-formatted. They will not give you any points if you make a typo which doesn't seem like a very good system. Also, it costs a lot of money, at $110+ per course (which lasts about 4-6 months).

• Reviewed on 2020/02/06
Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/19

"Makes Learning Easiesr"

Comments: Overall this software is great. Our K-6 teachers use it for math and reading daily. It helps with assignment completion since students have access at home.

Pros: Connect is a great supplemental tool for the classroom, and is a great place for e-learning. It is available for a variety of classes, and offers differentiated activities and practice. It is available to students at school and home, so they always have access to the needed material.

Cons: It can be a bit difficult to located exactly what you want, as there are many resources and the setup is not as organized as I'd like. We also occasionally have issues with popups not working on Chromebooks.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/19
Julia C.
Student
Education Management, 10 001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/18

"Interactive textbook increases information retained from reading"

Comments: Overall I think it helps me understand the material better and I think the pros definitely outweigh the cons!

Pros: This software has been used for many of my college courses and it has definitely helped me understand the material from the textbook better than if I were to be reading it on my own. Having the textbook be interactive, with important sections highlighted and questions being asked along the way, forces me to pay more attention and think critically about what I am reading. It also helped make my reading more efficient, because I was aware of what the most important sections were when I was being quizzed.

Cons: Sometimes if I just wanted to read the textbook without having the quizzes, or just read at my own pace, little reminders about how I had been reading for awhile and not looked at any of the questions yet could get very annoying. The software is great when you want to be using it but if you are trying to avoid it, it doesn't like not being used.

• Reviewed on 2019/04/18
Tamika B.
Instructor
E-Learning, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/27

"A Great Learning Resource!"

Comments: I usage both McGraw Hill's textbooks and e-learning materials in teaching Developmental English. McGraw Hill's books are an invaluable resource that is a staple in my learning tools.

Pros: I like the ease of usage, instructional practices, and the overall comprehension that McGraw Hill's textbooks and e-learning books benefit both students as well as instructors.

Cons: The results I receive from my students are clear indicators that this software works as their test results reflect such. Therefore, I cannot find any negatives to associate with usage of this product.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/27
Valamere M.
Adjunct Instructor
Higher Education, 5 001-10 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/30

"Adaptive Learning with McGraw-Hill Connect"

Comments: In my Success Strategies course, the Smartbook within McGraw-Hill Connect guides the students' learning to specific, targeted concepts and terms of importance, similar to the role of a teacher. Smartbook has tailored students learning with an individualized and focused approach. This has been helpful in providing supplemental resources and learning to my students.

Pros: McGraw-Hill Connect provides students with learning opportunities and meeting them where they are. The learning materials, such as practice assignments, videos, and quizzes, allows students to review the content and adapts to their level of understanding.

Cons: For the past couple of years, McGraw-Hill Connect assignment grades does not automatically sync to my Brightspace D2L course, so I have to manually go into McGraw-Hill Connect and force the sync to my course.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/30
Sasha F.
Education Management, 5 001-10 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/03

"McGraw-Hill"

Comments: Overall, it was good and I would recommend it to others.

Pros: I liked how there were many electronic copy resources online. Being a special education teacher, we don't always get access to the general ed curriculum but are still expected to assist students with the general education materials. This allows us to have access to the curriculum.

Cons: It takes a lot of time to figure out how to use/access materials. There are a lot of resources and it would be easier if it were organized differently. I had a difficult time finding the interventions in the beginning.

• Reviewed on 2019/09/03
Adelyn C.
d.Leadership Co President
Education Management, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/24

"Used for a biology class, generally good results"

Pros: I used this software for a biology class and it was connected to the textbook that I was using. I really liked that because then it made sure that what I was reading was directly helping me apply the concepts to the homework assignments. It was also easy to navigate and didn't crash at all, which was a relief because academic work can have so much pressure, despite the unforgiving technological difficulties. There were also tools to help you figure out where you could find some certain information in the text, hints, etc, and by giving me more than one attempt as well as the resources I needed to get the question right, I had much higher rates of success and of retaining the information.

Cons: I felt like at times the voiceover in the beginning could be very redundant and unhelpful (borderline annoying) because the software is so self-explanatory.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/24
Substitute Teacher
Education Management, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/05

"McGraw-Hill Review"

Pros: I like that this software has ease of use and functionality. The students know what to expect when they use it. The software allows for students to practice topics that are struggling in or get extra practice in what the topic they like learning about. It connects to what the students are being taught and giving them extra help.

Cons: Sometimes the information or passages to be read are not the best. They may contain harder words that should not be there or the topic is not the best for students to learn about.

• Reviewed on 2019/03/05
Kimberly B.
teacher
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/29

"Teacher Directed Reading Tool"

Comments: McGraw-Hill Connect has been great to use in my classroom.

Pros: I have been using this software for around 8 years. I absolutely love it! I have used it in 3rd, 4th and 1st grades. It has enhanced my TDR lessons greatly. The vocabulary games, stories and poems really get my students engaged in the lesson.

Cons: I cannot think of any cons at this time.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/29
Wendy N.
  • Reviewed on 2018/05/06

"Good supplement for students."

Pros: As an educator it does a good job of being user-friendly and easy to understand for students to navigate. Students can access practice tests, interactive and assignments. I really like having a digital copy of each textbook available. I use it to supplement my curriculum.

Cons: There are times where Connect has technical issues. It does not have an integrated LMS service which would enhance its appeal for teachers. Sometimes the info is not as current as I would like.

• Reviewed on 2018/05/06