• Overall
    4,8 /5
    4,7 /5
    4,9 /5

About Katana

Smart MRP software for small&scaling manufacturers. Integrates with Shopify, WooCommerce, Xero, QuickBooks, Zapier and has an open API.

Learn more about Katana

Elle R.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/14

"Cannot recommend this app enough"

Comments: Honestly has changed my life for the better. I'm no longer running out of supplies and having to do emergency orders (hello, extra shipping fees!). This keeps me organized and helps me to better my time management. I can see every open order that I need to fulfill and planning out supply orders is a breeze. I've recommended this app to every other maker I know because I am that in love with it. I'll use this app for the rest of my life because it is the best thing that's happened to my business in a long time.

Pros: This software legitimately changed the way my business runs. It keeps me accountable for the hundreds of supplies I use on a daily basis and keeps me organized in a way that no lists, or other apps, ever have.

Cons: I can honestly say nothing, this app works so seamlessly and wonderfully. Maybe the load speeds can be a little laggy, but that's mostly because I have a lot of materials I've input. Definitely not an app downfall or issue at all.

by Katana MRP on 2020/06/02

Thank you for the support!

Denis O.
Designer
Printing, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/31

"Best MRP/inventory manager for small business"

Comments: Overall, I'm very happy with Katana. Even though I run a small business and the price is relatively high for me, it's still well worth it. Adding new orders is quick and simple, but more importantly, I can instantly see if I have all the required resources at hand. Even if I have a few dozen pending orders, their coloured chart makes it so easy to quickly see if there are any issues.

Pros: Very easy to use without cluttered interface. This was my biggest selling point when comparing Katana to other similar products. Everything is so well organised and easy to glance over, while still offering nearly everything that I need for myself. I also like that any changes in the inventory are immediately reflected in open orders. This is true for everything that I've used so far; as soon as I make a change in one area, it instantly reflects in all others as well.

Cons: I'm missing one feature, but it's more due to the specific nature of my business. It would be great if I could organize my inventory not just by total combined weight, but broken down into individual units as well. For example, if my order requires 500g of plastic in one piece, but I have two separate pieces of 250g each, Katana will show that I have enough resources, even though I can't fill my order since I need one unbroken piece. I've already got in touch with their support about this and they've said my request was put on their wish list, so I'm fairly confident it will eventually get implemented.

by Katana MRP on 2021/01/13

Thank you for choosing Katana!

• Reviewed on 2020/12/31
Cam C.
Food Production, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/26

"Straightforward. Gets the job done."

Pros: Katana is a standout for me. I'm so happy that I found this software almost on accident. It does everything I need. It is straightforward and intuitive. Most other companies require me to Demo with the staff just to figure out how to move around but Katana is different. I was able to figure things out and plug my data and get going almost immediately. Haven't been using it very long but zero complaints up until this point.

Cons: I haven't been using the program very long. The only complaint that I have is the chat box in the lower right corner can get in the way when tryin to edit products or make adjustments while on the site. Other than that minor design flaw everything is excellent.

by Katana MRP on 2020/06/08

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Katana!

Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, Self Employed

"Great Inventory Software"

Comments: Knowing the real numbers of what I have in stock, what I need to order, how much it will cost me, and how much profit I will accrue is essential for making it to next year. In Katana, these figures are easy to find and keep up with. If I have a question, support is quick to respond and helpful. They are a great company to deal with!

Pros: The simple progression from Items to Buy, Make, and Stock to Sell makes it easy for me to maintain best practices in tracking my inventory. The flexibility in making stock adjustments made transitioning easy from confusions in my previous software into an ongoing accounting of what I have. Likewise, integrating with Shopify and Quicken was seamless.

Cons: A more complete inclusion of customer information from Shopify would be useful.

by Katana MRP on 2020/06/02

Thank you for the support!

Klaus K.
Management
Machinery, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/08/21

"First Impression KATANA - perfect fit for smaller companies which do not need a complex ERP-system"

Comments: For our requirements, set-up and company size the best we could find and test!
We will manage inventory/warehouse with 5000+ items, handle products with ingredients & operations, edit quotes, generate sales orders and mark received orders as shipped for automated invoice generation in Quickbooks. The cloud-based concept and the reduced complexity combined with an intuitivbe operatzion makes this SW easy to install and to work with if you have a team in different geographic locatioopns (as we have).
Set-up of KATANA is absolutely simple, mostl yself-explanatory and can be done by any "power-user" without need of (expensive) external ERP-consultants.

Pros: Handling of inventory, items, products, ingredients, sales orders - all this is handled in a very efficient, clear and easy to use way. Makes the difference compared to many alternative MRP-/ERP-systems.
Connector to QuickBooks with automatic trigger for invoices in QB once the products are marked as shipped in KATANA.
Connector to Shopify for on-line sale of spare parts.
100% helpful and open minded customer service - very helpful in helping to understand all features and finding the best workflow for specific situations.

Cons: There are some functions/features which need improvement, e.g. the customization of documents such as Quotations so every company can generate a set of individual template to serve different areas (machines, spare parts, service,..). 3-5 custom fields for Quotes/Sales Orders/Products would be helpful. Althoug KATANA is intended to be a MRP-system it would be helpful to integrate SERVICE-articles (not only MAKE or BUY articles). This would allow to add a possible service portion to a spare parts quote.
Dedicated Delivery Notes (with partial shipments) would be a great feature.

by Katana MRP on 2020/12/28

Thank you! Glad you are getting value out of Katana.

• Reviewed on 2020/08/21
Ellowyn I.
Consumer Goods, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/06

"Great choice for small manufacturer"

Comments: I tried several different MRPs before settling with Katana. Some were too clunky, others too expensive, complicated and elaborate. I felt a bit like Goldilocks. Katana was just right. Reasonably priced. Integrating with Quickbooks and Shopify was simple and efficient. The set up was fast. I no longer have to duplicate data entry onto multiple systems. This saves me times and I don't lose track of orders or inventory. I especially like the instant chat feature with their customer service reps. I can leave a quick message or screenshot of a problem and within a day or so, I have a response back and my problem resolved. No need to hire an expensive consultant, anyone could set up Katana and run it.

Pros: Very simple user-interface
Was able to set it up quickly and efficiently
Continual feature upgrades
Simple integration with Shopify & QuickBooks
Very responsive customer service
Detailed, but not overwhelming

Cons: The upload from Excel was clunky and not helpful. It was faster to just enter in the data directly.
There are features I look forward to having but that are not currently available. I know their team will be releasing them in the next year.

by Katana MRP on 2019/09/10

• Reviewed on 2019/09/06
Callee A.
Wholesale, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/26

"Great for small but growing handmade biz!"

Pros: Just completed the free 14 day trial of Katana and have now begun a paid subscription. It took a few days and a bit of frustration to manually add all our products, ingredients, recipes, and current pending wholesale orders from outside of shopify, but having the shopify integration helped a lot. We use three different wholesale platforms (Faire, tundra & Abound), none of which offer automated third party integrations, so we knew we’d have to manually input orders and Katana serves that purpose as our centralized dashboard to see what needs to go out, when, from which platform, if we have it in stock, when we can make it, etc. In two weeks, we’ve already seen an increase in production efficiency and decrease in wholesale turnaround times now that EVERYTHING is being tracked in one place. Highly recommend Katana if you’re a maker, it’s never too early to implement automated systems in your biz!

Cons: Glitches with accurate purchase prices showing up in overall product list. Described it to customer service and they denied it being a problem. That’s the only problem I’ve encountered so far. Tbh on customer support quality.

by Katana MRP on 2020/06/17

Hi! Thank you for your feedback and we'll make sure to work out any glitches that have occurred along the way. Happy making!

Jeff H.
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/16

"Katana has made a huge improvement to our business process!"

Comments: I was extremely happy to find this app after months of struggling to keep track (using a spreadsheet) of current quantity for 1.) In stock blank shirts (various colors and sizes)
2.) Ordered blanks (various colors, sizes, and suppliers)
3.) Sales of finish products (various styles, colors, sizes, and designs.)
Making a Purchase Order list took way to long to complete each day. With Katana, tracking what we have and what we needed got so much easier and I was able to focus on more important business decisions. Before Katana I was over and under ordering ingredients. I would recommend this app to anyone who uses Shopify and wants to make managing inventory of raw materials, ingredients, and sales orders easier.

Pros: Improved our ability to track shared ingredients for the products we sell.
Easy to know what quantity of ingredients to buy and who to buy it from.
Connects to Shopify and updates automatically.
Amazing customer support.

Cons: It took some time to learn the software and create ingredients for each product - but is worth while.

Thank you!

Andrew D.
Techinical Director
Chemicals, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/31

"A nessecary tool"

Comments: Mainly we have had a good experience, the system is updated to try and make it fit every company model.
It has helped me monitor our business and stock levels closely, you just have to make sure it is kept up to date so that it accurately reflects your current stock levels.

Pros: Helps keep track of work stock if used correctly. Updated regulary. We had an issue where there was not enough decimal places for us to input our formulas, we raised this issue and within a month it was fixed. Allows me to quickly find out a customers purchasing history and the percentage profit made per product

Cons: My only issue is that it is slightly expensive for a small company.

by Katana MRP on 2020/02/10

• Reviewed on 2020/01/31
Todd D.
Machinery, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/15

"Machine Shop Inventory COntrol"

Pros: I own a small, specialized machine shop and previously we have not had any inventory control or planning systems. When a customer called for a part, we went to the inventory and look at how many we had, if it was short we quickly ordered material and rushed there manufacturing to meet the order. Katana has given us visibility into our inventory supply as well as provided invaluable insight into our planning and work scheduling. Additionally it has helped identify areas for improvement in our workflow. Katana is an excellent app for managing inventory and processes.

Cons: We would like to be able to set stock up to quantities so that once the minimum stock is reached the software advises how many to make/purchase.

by Katana MRP on 2020/06/02

Thank you for the feedback and support!

• Reviewed on 2020/05/15
Victoria C.
Executive Director
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/17

"Inventory management for small businesses"

Comments: We were looking for a system that would work for our small team. Manufacturing and inventory management is new to us and Katana has helped our efficiency and organization immensely.

Pros: The set up was very easy to go through - with just a few videos, I was able to set up our entire inventory management system. It was easy to train staff on and maintain.

Cons: I like the integration with QuickBooks - I wish there was not just the invoicing feature but also a feature for estimates.

by Katana MRP on 2020/12/28

Glad it was easy to set up your business for success with Katana. Thank you for your review!

• Reviewed on 2020/12/17
Kristjan V.
Construction, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/18

"Easy to use manufacturing software"

Pros: Once you understand the structure of the software and the solutions it offers, it gives you simple, but useful overview of your production process. It is easy to use as a team as well.

Cons: Since the software is made for a very wide range of products manufacturing, there were not as many options we would specifically needed for our prefab timber house production process, but after a period of time, there has been many updates and additional options added to the software.

by Katana MRP on 2020/06/02

Thank you for the feedback and support!

• Reviewed on 2020/05/18
Charmayne I.
Customer Service Manager
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/30

"As Described, Easy to Use"

Pros: Product is as described, mostly. Easy to use. Has made a big difference in sorting orders and tracking inventory. Reasonably priced for a small business. There is a lot to the software program, and we are still learning, but customer service is always available to assist in answering any questions, and so far each employee that has used it, agrees that it is easy to navigate through.

Cons: Lacking a few features but they are expanding and often adding new features.

by Katana MRP on 2020/02/10

THank you for the support!

• Reviewed on 2020/01/30
Henri H.
Non Executive Director
Sports
  • Reviewed on 2018/03/20

"Overall great experience with Katana - Available features still need some work but great app overall"

Comments: Supper easy Material and Production planning for our workshop

Pros: Very User-friendly and great customer support. The team are clearly hungry to add features and are always willing to listen to user feedback. Gives great Manufacturing planning at a fraction of the cost and complexity of large ERP's

Cons: Feature list still needs maturing - especially ability to draw reports, and interface the system with real-world workflows (Example - Ability to export lists, or print MO's)

by Katana MRP on 2019/09/09

Thanks for sharing your experience with Katana!

• Reviewed on 2018/03/20
Co-fondateur
11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/03/13

"Great piece of software, perfect for small-medium size businesses actually producing stuff"

Comments: lot of time saved, and organizational headaches removed

Pros: The team provides awesome support, listens to feedback and act on it fast + the interface is clean and easy to use

Cons: Some features are still missing but are due to be released in the coming weeks. But even as it is right now it's already above other offerings.

by Katana MRP on 2019/09/09

Thank you for sharing your feedback and journey with Katana!

• Reviewed on 2018/03/13
Andrew A.
Marketing Manager
Consumer Goods, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/11

"Incredible MRP System!"

Pros: I absolutely love Katana and the integrations it have. It allows data to pass through seamlessly and allows my production team close and ship orders directly.

Cons: Not many Cons to Katana, I feel like they may be missing a few small features but I have spoken to them and they have said they are in the works!

by Katana MRP on 2020/02/18

Thank you for the kind feedback!

• Reviewed on 2020/02/11
Fergus M.
Roaster
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/25

"Fantasic"

Comments: excellent

Pros: easy to use
sync great with all my apps
very helpful customer support

Cons: price increase
some minor issues with woocommerce

by Katana MRP on 2019/10/01

Thank you for the fantastic feedback!

• Reviewed on 2019/09/25
Arturo G.
MR
  • Reviewed on 2018/03/14

"Katana ERP is one easy way to go to help with supply chain issues and also, an affordable option!"

Comments: Save time on supply chain management

Pros: The ease of use, the cloud service, the different areas and stuff I can work with related to my supply chain needs (such as the manufacture and supply modules) and the client support

Cons: Current lack of export Excel documents and that we can't mass modify elements. I think that also, Quickbooks will be a nice integration and that spanish language may be handy, in the future.

by Katana MRP on 2019/09/09

Thank you for growing with us!

• Reviewed on 2018/03/14

• Reviewed on 2018/08/23
Samantha W.
Warehouse Manager

"Highly Recommend!"

Comments: We love it. We use this app to help with our growing business. It has made it so easy to keep up with reordering and be able to manage inventory between two stores! The Katana team makes it so easy to use and offer a lot of help! Highly recommend!

Pros: Ease of Use
Easy Implementation
Reorder Options

Cons: I wouldn't say this is a con- but we are really excited for the bar code scanning option they plan to roll out in 2021!

by Katana MRP on 2020/12/28

Thank you for your review! We are excited to have you as a customer.

Lisa C.
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/06

"Met our needs at beginning, as needs grew Katana team listened and added features"

Comments: We maintain about 1500-2000 SKUS and all assemblers work at home. Some do different steps, returning work weekly and then having it distributed to the next person. Giving every MO an actual number has kept every bag of parts and supplies organized. We can track who has it, where it's at in the manufacturing process, etc. Even though we have used Katana since January, it's the last 3 months that it's really proven it's value to us. We do not use it for order fulfillment, just in-house manufacturing. But it's allowed us to prep for holiday season from July forward and stay completely organized and efficient. No more "where-did-it-go" or "how-many-have-we-prepped" frantic moments. We began the year knowing we needed a software that "fit" our company's size and our needs. Katana has proven invaluable for our company this year. We are currently doing our first complete inventory and we hope to add these numbers to Katana in 2020 and continue to improve our efficiency.

Pros: The ability to use Resources as a way to assign a specific person to each task so I can see who is working on what step of the manufacturing process and the allotted time they are provided for the task. This year we went from contract labor/paid-per-piece to employees/hourly-wage and Katana has made this a much smoother transition then it could have been. Having both "cost-per-piece" for assembly of items as well as "cost-per-minute" has given us the ability to compare former payment procedures with what to expect per hour from employees.

Cons: There are a variety of tasks that were unable to be done when we began using Katana in January 2019 but I am thrilled to say that most of them have been developed. The developers listen and are very attentive to requests, bug reports, and ideas and so despite the fact that some of the features were not available (exporting reports, importing recipes, bulk print MOs/pick lists, etc.) they have added these and the software continues to grow. The next feature I'd love to see is the ability to have a product photo attached to each product that prints out an image with the MO. Also, we have some items "on hold" (not sent to distribution center yet) and we use Resources to specify ONHOLD-BIN221 etc. to know the status of any particular SKU completed. We'd prefer not to use different locations, but rather have the ability to add a couple more "status" options. Either a misc or a custom. For now, everything on hold gets marked BLOCKED status and then the Resource is used to say it's on hold in whatever bin.

by Katana MRP on 2020/02/07

Thank you for very thorough feedback! Love to have you growing with us!

• Reviewed on 2020/02/06
Brandon K.
Consumer Electronics, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/09

"Perfect for where we're at right now"

Comments: We chose Katana after trying out a couple different MRP's which were either overly complex, over-priced, or didn't fit our needs. We've stuck with Katana based on it's ease-of-use, intuitive design, and delivery of everything we need it to do.

Pros: It's great to be able to log in on any computer without having to install software, and it's done an amazing job of keeping our inventory tidy and up-to-date. The Purchase Order generator has also made us look very professional to our suppliers. The integration with Shopify is also a huge plus to us as it prevents us from having to manually transfer Shopify orders and automatically removes all parts from the BOM from our inventory. Highly recommended!

Cons: There aren't many, if any things we've come up against yet that Katana didn't support.

by Katana MRP on 2020/02/13

• Reviewed on 2020/02/09
Elias T.
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/20

"Simple but Effective Inventory Management"

Comments: We've saved countless manhours on tracking inventory. It also makes purchasing decisions a lot easier, with the ability to know at a glance how much of each product you need to buy.

Pros: PROS: - really easy to use, great interface - support is responsive, although we didn't have much need for support thanks to a very thorough and detailed knowledge base - reasonably priced compared to other inventory management systems - good integrations with Shopify, Quickbooks, etc - it made inventory tracking a lot easier for us as a manufacturer. The manhours saved on doing Excel updates to inventory would definitely cost more if you run complex operations

Cons: CONS: - Integration with Quickbooks is a little iffy if you don't login to Quickbooks beforehand - It doesn't have a multicurrency feature for purchase orders (when you buy inventory in a currency different from your main currency) - It's not easy to account for freight costs in the costs of buying raw materials - You can't work in 2 browser tabs without paying for 2 users, this can be a little frustrating

by Katana MRP on 2020/12/28

Thank you for the valuable feedback! Some of your suggestions are already in our roadmap for 2021. Glad to see you are saving time and resources with Katana!

• Reviewed on 2020/12/20
Shawn L.
Owner/ Head of Operations
Food Production, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/09

"Inventory and Sales Simplified"

Comments: Excellent. Everything about using Katana has been great. The team there walked me through the product and helped me set it up. They answer questions quickly and personally. The product is as-described and thoroughly game-changing for my business. There is strong value, we have much less waste and mistakes in our ordering now.

Pros: I love the deep inventory tracking and that it feels like a modern app. Inventory software is typically painful to use, and Katana is a breeze. I love that Shopify sales are automatically imported and function live with Shopify, so when you fulfil an order in Shopify it automatically fulfils it in Katana. The Quickbooks integration makes generating invoices simple. You only have to do things once when you use Katana, there's no need to fill in the same info in different services over and over. Tracking inventory in Katana in multiple locations, and being able to include the ingredients of each product in the tracking is also a plus.

Cons: When creating purchase orders, it can generate a Bill in Quickbooks. This is helpful, however I'd love to be able to create a Purchase Order in QB so that I can simply track them all.

by Katana MRP on 2019/09/10

Glad to hear your feedback on Katana! Let's keep on growing together!

• Reviewed on 2019/09/09
Lucille S.
Co-Founder
Cosmetics, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/24

"A must for any manufacturing startup"

Comments: Katana has been an absolute game changer for our cosmetics manufacturing business. Prior to this, we were using an inventory management system more suited to home crafters. It was woefully inadequate for our needs, but traditional MPR software was too complicated and expensive. Katana offers the perfect balance between powerful, seamless tracking and a user-friendly interface. It saves us hours of planning time each week and has greatly reduced errors. There's no way we'd be able to scale our quickly-growing business without this software.

Pros: Intuitive, user-friendly interface and powerful, seamless inventory tracking.

Cons: We don't like the per-user pricing model.

by Katana MRP on 2019/09/30

Thank you for showing the love!

• Reviewed on 2019/09/24