Filter by:

• Overall

About Katana

Manufacturing ERP software for total visibility. Manage all the moving parts of your business — inventory, sales, and beyond.

Learn more about Katana

Jason M.
Sales Director/ Owner
Environmental Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/07/06

"Love the functionality!"

Pros: This software is very user friendly compared to some other, more detailed programs.

Cons: I had some issue with the conversions during the product builds, so I am not sure if you could have multiple conversions for a product.

• Reviewed on 2021/07/06
Klaus K.
Management
Machinery, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/08/21

"First Impression KATANA - perfect fit for smaller companies which do not need a complex ERP-system"

Comments: For our requirements, set-up and company size the best we could find and test!
We will manage inventory/warehouse with 5000+ items, handle products with ingredients & operations, edit quotes, generate sales orders and mark received orders as shipped for automated invoice generation in Quickbooks. The cloud-based concept and the reduced complexity combined with an intuitivbe operatzion makes this SW easy to install and to work with if you have a team in different geographic locatioopns (as we have).
Set-up of KATANA is absolutely simple, mostl yself-explanatory and can be done by any "power-user" without need of (expensive) external ERP-consultants.

Pros: Handling of inventory, items, products, ingredients, sales orders - all this is handled in a very efficient, clear and easy to use way. Makes the difference compared to many alternative MRP-/ERP-systems.
Connector to QuickBooks with automatic trigger for invoices in QB once the products are marked as shipped in KATANA.
Connector to Shopify for on-line sale of spare parts.
100% helpful and open minded customer service - very helpful in helping to understand all features and finding the best workflow for specific situations.

Cons: There are some functions/features which need improvement, e.g. the customization of documents such as Quotations so every company can generate a set of individual template to serve different areas (machines, spare parts, service,..). 3-5 custom fields for Quotes/Sales Orders/Products would be helpful. Althoug KATANA is intended to be a MRP-system it would be helpful to integrate SERVICE-articles (not only MAKE or BUY articles). This would allow to add a possible service portion to a spare parts quote.
Dedicated Delivery Notes (with partial shipments) would be a great feature.

Alternatives Considered: Dynamics 365 and Sage 100cloud

Reasons for Choosing Katana: Due to a downsizing in manufacturing we decided to look for a faster, more flexible, less complicated MRP-system which is cloud-based and would have good and propven interfaces to a standard accounting SW and to an on-line shop (spare parts).

Switched From: Dynamics 365 and Sage 100cloud

Reasons for Switching to Katana: Simplicity with at the same time well covered basic features, ease of use, intuitive, cloud-based.

by Katana MRP on 2020/12/28

Thank you! Glad you are getting value out of Katana.

• Reviewed on 2020/08/21
Ellowyn I.
Consumer Goods, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/06

"Great choice for small manufacturer"

Comments: I tried several different MRPs before settling with Katana. Some were too clunky, others too expensive, complicated and elaborate. I felt a bit like Goldilocks. Katana was just right. Reasonably priced. Integrating with Quickbooks and Shopify was simple and efficient. The set up was fast. I no longer have to duplicate data entry onto multiple systems. This saves me times and I don't lose track of orders or inventory. I especially like the instant chat feature with their customer service reps. I can leave a quick message or screenshot of a problem and within a day or so, I have a response back and my problem resolved. No need to hire an expensive consultant, anyone could set up Katana and run it.

Pros: Very simple user-interface
Was able to set it up quickly and efficiently
Continual feature upgrades
Simple integration with Shopify & QuickBooks
Very responsive customer service
Detailed, but not overwhelming

Cons: The upload from Excel was clunky and not helpful. It was faster to just enter in the data directly.
There are features I look forward to having but that are not currently available. I know their team will be releasing them in the next year.

Alternatives Considered: ERPAG

Reasons for Choosing Katana: Odoo is a beautiful all-in-one platform that seemed to be the perfect solution to tying my entire business together. However, it doesn't "play" well with Shopify and social media platforms which both are essential to my business. Any customization requires an extra fee each month plus the cost of the custom 3rd party app. Set up was complicated and when I needed help, I was pressed to pay $10k for a customer service package. For a small business, that's a lot to shell out. If I were a large company and could pay to have it all set up and administered correctly, I'm sure Odoo would be an excellent choice. But for a one-woman show, it was just too much to juggle.

Switched From: Odoo

Reasons for Switching to Katana: Erpag was about the same price at the time and had a few extra features that I liked (barcode integration for example), but the user interface was just really clunky. It reminded me a lot of my days in 90's Windows. Lots of tabs and block colors. When I added a demo set of data in, it didn't seem too difficult to use, but it just wasn't intuitive to me.

by Katana MRP on 2019/09/10

• Reviewed on 2019/09/06
Elle R.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/14

"Cannot recommend this app enough"

Comments: Honestly has changed my life for the better. I'm no longer running out of supplies and having to do emergency orders (hello, extra shipping fees!). This keeps me organized and helps me to better my time management. I can see every open order that I need to fulfill and planning out supply orders is a breeze. I've recommended this app to every other maker I know because I am that in love with it. I'll use this app for the rest of my life because it is the best thing that's happened to my business in a long time.

Pros: This software legitimately changed the way my business runs. It keeps me accountable for the hundreds of supplies I use on a daily basis and keeps me organized in a way that no lists, or other apps, ever have.

Cons: I can honestly say nothing, this app works so seamlessly and wonderfully. Maybe the load speeds can be a little laggy, but that's mostly because I have a lot of materials I've input. Definitely not an app downfall or issue at all.

by Katana MRP on 2020/06/02

Thank you for the support!

Zach C.
Ops Ninja
Luxury Goods & Jewelry, 2-10 Employees

"Smooth Operator"

Comments: It has been great, highly recommend for small to medium business. Very user friendly!

Pros: Katana has made our day to day business so much more fluid and stress free. It was easy to build out the product lines, upload product sku's and flip the switch on going live. Game changer!

Cons: On the production schedule front, hoping that the software will eventually lump all the tasks together, I have multiple consumers that order the same item, each order is its own line item instead of being lumped into a group, so our production team needs to scrub the tasks before production starts as to make sure they capture each item, as to not create redunancy in work.

Elias T.
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/20

"Simple but Effective Inventory Management"

Comments: We've saved countless manhours on tracking inventory. It also makes purchasing decisions a lot easier, with the ability to know at a glance how much of each product you need to buy.

Pros: PROS: - really easy to use, great interface - support is responsive, although we didn't have much need for support thanks to a very thorough and detailed knowledge base - reasonably priced compared to other inventory management systems - good integrations with Shopify, Quickbooks, etc - it made inventory tracking a lot easier for us as a manufacturer. The manhours saved on doing Excel updates to inventory would definitely cost more if you run complex operations

Cons: CONS: - Integration with Quickbooks is a little iffy if you don't login to Quickbooks beforehand - It doesn't have a multicurrency feature for purchase orders (when you buy inventory in a currency different from your main currency) - It's not easy to account for freight costs in the costs of buying raw materials - You can't work in 2 browser tabs without paying for 2 users, this can be a little frustrating

by Katana MRP on 2020/12/28

Thank you for the valuable feedback! Some of your suggestions are already in our roadmap for 2021. Glad to see you are saving time and resources with Katana!

• Reviewed on 2020/12/20
Kyle K.
Luxury Goods & Jewelry, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/05

"Streamline Any Business With KATANA"

Comments: The customer service is honestly the best customer service I have ever experienced. They are quick to respond, clear at explaining, very knowledgeable of the software, and great to work with. Rep even made me videos walking me through the parts of the process that were hanging me up.

Pros: The ability to streamline production, inventory and invoicing is a huge time saver and really helps with organization. I feel it is a great value for the money that you are spending and it

Cons: There is quite a bit of setup to get everything up and running and everything really functions together. This is not Katana's fault and they really have made it easy. Once everything (materials, products, production recipes) are set up, it runs like a charm.

by Katana MRP on 2019/09/09

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

Lucille S.
Co-Founder
Cosmetics, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/24

"A must for any manufacturing startup"

Comments: Katana has been an absolute game changer for our cosmetics manufacturing business. Prior to this, we were using an inventory management system more suited to home crafters. It was woefully inadequate for our needs, but traditional MPR software was too complicated and expensive. Katana offers the perfect balance between powerful, seamless tracking and a user-friendly interface. It saves us hours of planning time each week and has greatly reduced errors. There's no way we'd be able to scale our quickly-growing business without this software.

Pros: Intuitive, user-friendly interface and powerful, seamless inventory tracking.

Cons: We don't like the per-user pricing model.

by Katana MRP on 2019/09/30

Thank you for showing the love!

• Reviewed on 2019/09/24
Zach S.
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/21

"Incredible product and support"

Pros: We tried several ERP systems for our manufacturing business without a lot of luck. Katana, without question, is one of the best and more affordable options we've come across. Coupled with their incredible support, we wouldn't recommend anything else.

Cons: While they're super responsive to feature requests, Katana doesn't include an API or Hook.

by Katana MRP on 2020/01/22

Thank you for your review! We will be working on opening an API very soon.

Paddy W.
Inventory Manager
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/21

"Great software with an amazing user interface"

Pros: - User interface
- Ease of use
- Set up was straight forward

Cons: - Lacking a few features but they are expanding and often adding new features

Alternatives Considered: MRPeasy

Reasons for Switching to Katana: In the end it was the software that stood out, having done a demo with Fred we were satisfied with everything.

by Katana MRP on 2020/01/22

Thank you for the review. And, indeed, we are on weekly basis adding new features :)

Justin C.
CEO + Founder
Glass, Ceramics & Concrete, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/28

"Katana"

Pros: Ease of use with material inventory and production task management.

Cons: Katana pulls order information from Shopify, and the info as it appears in Katana is always rearranged and never in the same order.

by Katana MRP on 2020/01/30

Thank you for the review! Regarding Shopify orders appearance - just wanted to let you know we are working to improve the user experience on this!

• Reviewed on 2020/01/28
Eddie B.
Engineer
Renewables & Environment, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/06/21

"Manufacturing MRP"

Comments: Good support and they are constantly improving the software.

Pros: Cloud based and easy to use. PNs support variants which allows for great flexibility when pricing items to multiple customers.

Cons: Interface with Quickbooks could use more customization. Item quantities need to be able to support fractional based values.

• Reviewed on 2021/06/21
Beryl S.
Veterinary, 2-10 Employees

"Katana"

Comments: On time ordering, not running out of stock, being aware of all aspects of the business.

Pros: It is the only product I have found which helps run my entire process from purchasing raw materials to selling end products.

Cons: It sometimes gets complicated. Luckily, support is good.

by Katana MRP on 2020/06/02

Thank you for the review!

Ashley L.
COO
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/16

"Love this option for our manufacturing/ecommerce brand"

Pros: I love the ease of setup with this tool, and the ability to integrate it so well with all of our other platforms.

Cons: I wish the Lot Tracking came standard because it is a health and safety issue and should be included in the basic plan in my opinion.

by Katana MRP on 2020/12/28

Thank you for your feedback!

• Reviewed on 2020/12/16
Brandon B.
Co-Owner
Sporting Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/31

"Simple inventory solution with BOM"

Pros: A simple solution for tracking ingredients and manufacturing operations tied to work orders and final products.

Cons: Covers most the basics but missing some nice to have features like custom metadata/fields for orders and the ability to bulk modify delivery date. I also would like simple ways to adjust work orders and inventory for scrap or loss during production. Seems there are workarounds for these though.

by Katana MRP on 2020/06/08

THank you for sharing your feedback!

• Reviewed on 2020/05/31
Bartosz S.
Aviation & Aerospace, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/06/10

"Great product"

Pros: How easy it is to track the ingredients needed for your products. It gives you a very clear picture of where are you at with your production.

Cons: It's still relatively young product and there are few features missing here and there. However the Katana team seems to be very responsive and constantly improving the product.

by Katana MRP on 2020/06/18

Thank you for the support!

• Reviewed on 2020/06/10
Nick L.
Advisor
  • Reviewed on 2021/03/23

"Really useful for manufacturers"

Pros: Extremely useful for those with raw materials -> manufacturing -> finished goods -> COGS This process can be very tedious and Katana has saved days of work each month.

Cons: Having a dashboard for analytics might help

• Reviewed on 2021/03/23
Paul M.
Head of Operations
Consumer Goods, 2-10 Employees

"Very Useful"

Comments: The overall experience has been excellent so far. Katana has helped us transition away from using spreadsheets to track our manufacturing operations and really professionalise our processes. It's an integral part of our everyday operations.

Pros: Katana has multiple features which have very useful in improving our manufacturing processes. The ability to create recipes for each product has been a huge help for us as we have quite a lot of raw materials in each finished product. The Shop Floor app has been brilliant for us to track production/assembly time more accurately. This has been a great help in pinpointing an accurate cost per unit.

Cons: The only aspect that hasn't met our expectations so far has been the batch tracking feature. This is an excellent feature and one that would be so helpful for us. However, we need it to work automatically with our Shopify orders and at the moment sales orders can only be attributed to particular batches if you fulfil them on the Katana dashboard. We need this to happen automatically when our Shopify orders are fulfilled.

Alternatives Considered: Orderhive

Reasons for Switching to Katana: Katana was much more suited to our needs in terms of the receipt creation features for each product. The interface was also much simpler than the alternative products we considered.

Founder and CEO
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/05

"I dont understand all the great reviews"

Pros: The interface is intuitive. The pricing seems okay.

Cons: This software is seriously lacking features. For all those who wrote reviews saying they love the software, I want to know what industry they work in and how they use the app. It doesnt offer very basic features. You can't bulk edit, you literally need to upload an excel sheet if you want to change several products. There are no images for your products. How does it not support images? This is basic database stuff. And currently, you can only manufacture items from one location! Who's rating this software as great?!

by Katana MRP on 2019/09/30

As a fast growing software, we understand the concerns you have with Katana. At our current development speed, all of the mentioned lacking features are made available by the end of this year. Hope you will give us another chance!

• Source: GetApp
Denis O.
Designer
Printing, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/31

"Best MRP/inventory manager for small business"

Comments: Overall, I'm very happy with Katana. Even though I run a small business and the price is relatively high for me, it's still well worth it. Adding new orders is quick and simple, but more importantly, I can instantly see if I have all the required resources at hand. Even if I have a few dozen pending orders, their coloured chart makes it so easy to quickly see if there are any issues.

Pros: Very easy to use without cluttered interface. This was my biggest selling point when comparing Katana to other similar products. Everything is so well organised and easy to glance over, while still offering nearly everything that I need for myself. I also like that any changes in the inventory are immediately reflected in open orders. This is true for everything that I've used so far; as soon as I make a change in one area, it instantly reflects in all others as well.

Cons: I'm missing one feature, but it's more due to the specific nature of my business. It would be great if I could organize my inventory not just by total combined weight, but broken down into individual units as well. For example, if my order requires 500g of plastic in one piece, but I have two separate pieces of 250g each, Katana will show that I have enough resources, even though I can't fill my order since I need one unbroken piece. I've already got in touch with their support about this and they've said my request was put on their wish list, so I'm fairly confident it will eventually get implemented.

by Katana MRP on 2021/01/13

Thank you for choosing Katana!

• Reviewed on 2020/12/31
Brandon K.
Consumer Electronics, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/09

"Perfect for where we're at right now"

Comments: We chose Katana after trying out a couple different MRP's which were either overly complex, over-priced, or didn't fit our needs. We've stuck with Katana based on it's ease-of-use, intuitive design, and delivery of everything we need it to do.

Pros: It's great to be able to log in on any computer without having to install software, and it's done an amazing job of keeping our inventory tidy and up-to-date. The Purchase Order generator has also made us look very professional to our suppliers. The integration with Shopify is also a huge plus to us as it prevents us from having to manually transfer Shopify orders and automatically removes all parts from the BOM from our inventory. Highly recommended!

Cons: There aren't many, if any things we've come up against yet that Katana didn't support.

by Katana MRP on 2020/02/13

• Reviewed on 2020/02/09
Jeff H.
General Manager
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/18

"Most Intuitive MRP Ever"

Comments: Overall it's simple to setup, simple to use, and while not quite polished, does everything we need in a hugely user friendly way.

Pros: I was looking for a solution for seasonal manufacturing workers that we don't have time to get up to speed with some complex MRP - Kanata's UI is the most intuitive interface out of any MRP I was able to find. The ease of re-prioritising jobs, and the automatic stock refactoring is awesome, and the team are really, really responsive to feature ideas and issues. Seamless integrations with WooCommerce makes supplying orders to customers super easy.

Cons: It doesn't quite have everything we need, some of which I though we're quite base (Bin Locations, Supplier Product Codes, Purchase Orders that email directly to suppliers), but all of those have work arounds, and I'm assured are planned for future development.

by Katana MRP on 2021/01/13

Thank you for the review!

• Reviewed on 2020/12/18
Andrew D.
Techinical Director
Chemicals, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/31

"A nessecary tool"

Comments: Mainly we have had a good experience, the system is updated to try and make it fit every company model.
It has helped me monitor our business and stock levels closely, you just have to make sure it is kept up to date so that it accurately reflects your current stock levels.

Pros: Helps keep track of work stock if used correctly. Updated regulary. We had an issue where there was not enough decimal places for us to input our formulas, we raised this issue and within a month it was fixed. Allows me to quickly find out a customers purchasing history and the percentage profit made per product

Cons: My only issue is that it is slightly expensive for a small company.

by Katana MRP on 2020/02/10

• Reviewed on 2020/01/31
David B.
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/12

"Katana for manufacturing"

Comments: Lots of potential Katana, it a emerging system sure it doesn't have the xero integration in play atm but like my own business Katana is also growing so I like that I have partner with a operating system that going through similar growing pains as we are. if you have a manufacturing process you wish to have better control of I recommend exploring this system.

Pros: I have been operating my business using excel, xero, monday.com and email. After searching for a system that could centralise my focus I came across Katana which in essence consolidates all the previous mentioned systems into one interface which saves me a tonne of time. secondly the customer support, I have had a lengthy skype call with Hannes who is a founder of Katana where by he provided a demo session of how the software will be suitable for my business needs. I really valued to the bespoke service which ensured I got off to the right start.

Cons: The intergration to Xero is in development but this has been the most noteable con to date, that said Katana is working on this and it should be available shortly

by Katana MRP on 2019/11/14

Thank you David for sharing your experience we are happy to grow with you!

• Reviewed on 2019/11/12
Alexander A.
Head of Technology & Logistics
Printing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/09

"Perfect choice for small manufacturing company"

Comments: We are a starting up printing company which has been looking for a fast learning curve solution to manage our manufacturing and supply chain data. Katana turned out to be a perfect match for us.

Pros: + Simplicity. Probably most intuitive specialized software I've used.
+ Price structure. Very affordable for us.
+ Customer support.

Cons: - Lack of some "nice to have features". But, it's another side of simplicity and affordability, right?

Alternatives Considered: DEAR Systems

Reasons for Switching to Katana: The simplicity of the interface + price point

by Katana MRP on 2019/09/10

Thank you for sharing your experience with Katana!

• Reviewed on 2019/09/09