15 years helping South African businesses

About Xero

Xero is a beautiful online accounting software solution for small businesses, sole traders, and accountants in any industry.

Learn more about Xero

Pros:

Integrates well with adds on to provide more sophisticated reporting. Integration with AI products such as ReceiptBank and Approval Donkey also work well.

Cons:

1099 reports are too limited. Tracking categories are too limited.

Xero ratings

4,0

Xero has an overall rating of 4,4 out 5 stars based on 2 849 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Xero before?

Filter reviews (2 849)

Julian
Julian
Managing Director in Gibraltar
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Excellent accounting software

5,0 last month New

Comments: Been using Xero for years and have only good things to say. Its been a game changer for us.

Pros:

Once it is setup, it will change the way you work. With a streamlined and easy to use interface it is great for day to day business, and for checking reports too. Bank reconciliation and reminders are super important features.

Cons:

The chart of accounts was a bit confusing but understand it now.

Rebekah
Office Manager in UK
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Brilliant product

5,0 2 months ago New

Comments: Really good, does what it says on the tin (so to speak!), perfect for our use case.

Pros:

Xero is very easy to use, it has a lot of useful features that make it stand out ahead of similar software

Cons:

There isn't much that I don't like, but maybe some more customisation to the interface would be nice, to make things cleared to see when needed or to remove bits I don't want to see.

Julio
CFO Analyst in Colombia

Xero, Basic Accounting Software

3,0 2 months ago New

Comments: We used Xero for the basic accounting of our company, and the results were great the software is cloud based, and you can input and deliver financial reports with it.

Pros:

I like that it did what it had to do, this suffer is a very complete software. It has a lot of integrations. You can integrate it with almost every single financial analysis, software available, and with all the banking within the US.

Cons:

I find that the interface needs work, I think that famous software like this should be able to edit or personalize the interface

Nancy
President in US
Restaurants, 11–50 Employees

Great Software

4,0 last month New

Pros:

really easy to use & can have a multiple tabs open at one time

Cons:

needs more keyboard shortcuts & better access controls for users

Retail, 11–50 Employees

Easy and straightforward for a small business but scales and handles large business too

5,0 2 months ago

Pros:

Xero pioneered the cloud accounting toolset and makes it very easy for the smallest of one-person micro businesses to maintain good, clean accounts. It also makes receipt management and reconciling expenses and revenue so simple that you can be your own bookkeeper. It's also powerful enough to run large multimillion dollar business, so it scales very well.

Cons:

The inventory management tool is quite basic, suitable for a small business, but we needed to go deeper with our inventory/warehouse management so have integrated Xero with a 3rd party tool from Cin7.

Quentin
QS Estimator in New Zealand
Construction, 2–10 Employees

Great Software for the Price

4,0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Xero is generally a great software package at the price point. It does all of the functions it needs to for a small to medium business to operate

Cons:

The functionality of the software is sometimes limited and can hamstring business or mean that workarounds have to be found. As an example alternate softwares allow the administrator to assign levels of authority to each user so that you can have multiple layers of users with varying degrees of access, which is something Xero does incredibly poorly, there is one level of authority to adjust which conveys next to no permissions to the user meaning the software cannot be used.

Jess
Jess
Marketing Director in UK
Events Services, 2–10 Employees

A market leader and quite rightly!

5,0 last month New

Comments: A simple and powerful solution that has several features we’ve been learning as we go. Would definitely recommend. It’s really streamlined how we operate.

Pros:

We love Xero and its features. Allows us to operate more effectively and efficiently. Both from income and expenditure perspectives.

Cons:

It took a little while to get used to but now we’re confident it’s great. The customer service is really good when we need support.

Danielle
Manager in US

Xero Review

4,0 2 months ago New

Pros:

We love the functions and reporting that Xero offers. It's a perfect fit for our business.

Cons:

We have yet to find many negatives about this software.

Zsolt
Zsolt
Owner in Hungary
Hospitality, Self Employed

All round accounting solution

5,0 last month New

Pros:

Great tool for accounting, billing & invoicing. Easy to use with the many possible integrations.

Cons:

No local support, but the general support is mostly good (except the very specific local requests)

Neil
Managing Director in UK
Facilities Services, 2–10 Employees

Good financial software

4,0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall our experience is a positive one.

Pros:

It is good for tracking our monthly and annual finance and intregtrates with our work platform.

Cons:

The integration does not always works the best which can be annoying.

Paul
Managing Director in Australia
Consumer Goods, 2–10 Employees

Super Simple Accounting Software for Small to Medium Sized Businesses

5,0 4 years ago

Comments: As a small business our main priority is to keep our monthly book keeping tasks simple and quick. Since moving to Xero from MYOB we have found a significant reduction in our book keeping time input. We are NOT accountants or book keeping experts and Xero as an accounting system has definitely made this part of our business much more efficient. We are guided by our accountant as how best to use the software and have been able to develop a simple client - accountant relationship with Xero being the main conduit of information between us.

Pros:

As a small business we found Xero to be a simple and very cost effective solution for all our accounting - book keeping needs. Xero is very easy to set up with your accountant and reduces the time you need to spend on book keeping tasks each month. With automatic bank feeds the time we need to reconcile our accounts each month is minimal. The audit trail features mean any issues that arise can be quickly found and fixed. Being able to notate any transactions enables our accountant to quickly respond to our queries. As a small business keeping our external accountant costs down is very important to us and by using Xero means the time our accountant has to actually spend on our accounts is less and therefore so are the invoices we receive from him!

Cons:

Some of the automatic accounts Xero suggests you reconcile to are not correct so it is important to double check each transaction before reconciling. We had issues setting up some of the automatic bank feeds and still have one bank account that will not process the feeds so we need to enter those transactions manually. When uploading a file of transactions we also had some issues and found it quicker just to manually enter them into the software.

Business Owner in Australia
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

A leading software in it's industry

5,0 4 years ago

Comments: A beautiful piece of software that turns a once tedious chore, into an easy and intuitive process. I always recommend my clients to use Xero (if they can afford to) as I believe it makes the workflow much smoother and simpler for everyone involved.

Pros:

As an accountant and bookkeeping business owner I have been using accounting software for well over 10 years. I have to say when Xero entered the market I was definitely curious as to what it could bring to the market. I believe Xero have captured a very nice niche of the industry with it's very business orientated user interface and simplisitic feel. It makes accounting somewhat fun for the business owner. The way that they have revolutionized the way the bank reconciliation is performed makes it easier for buiness owner and accountant/bookkeeper to work together. I love the comments functionality and the rules that can be set to repeating transactions. The AI in the bank reconciliation also has a very nice balance to it. It will allocate your transactions when you need it to, but not too aggressively - meaning you don't have to undo all the automatic allocations (unlike some other software like MYOB). They also have a lot of resources to help business owners and financial professionals. In addition they make continual updates to their software to adapt to the times.

Cons:

I think the biggest con of the software is the price tag. Many of my clients have found this to be a stumbling block, saying that the monthly subscription fee is too high for their business. Other than the price, the only other con is the support is only via email (this is the last time I had an issue which was a few months ago). They do not have a support contact phone line (in Australia at least) - so response has to be via email (which may lead onto a call later if it cannot be resolved by email). Which takes longer to resolve the issues.

Sibylle
Bookkeeper in US
Financial Services, Self Employed

My investment in Xero didn't work out

3,0 3 years ago

Comments: I became Xero certified in 2016, I was very enthusiastic about the product at the time, and thought I would be building a practice using it. Unfortunately, the more I used it, the less well it worked for me, due to the reasons given above and more. I also find the Xero portal for practitioners unnecessarily complex and difficult to navigate. The company was always also assigning new account managers to me. I think I've met four or five in total. Xero frequently asked me for feedback and I provided it several times, especially about my discontent with their reconciliation process, which I consider inadequate to my needs as a professional bookkeeper, and which I had seen cause significant problems for business owners trying to maintain their own file. Though I repeated this feedback over the course of several years, it hasn't changed. I realize I'm just one customer, and I don't know if others feel the same way or not. Anyway, in the end, I didn't want to work with this issue anymore.

Pros:

Transaction processing in the bank feed is, as they claim, very well set up. At the time I started using Xero, the company also seemed to provide some needed competition and an alternative to intuit in the small business accounting software space.

Cons:

The other accounting software apps I use are QBO and Wave. Both, IMO, are better than Xero. Back to the bank feed -- Xero is unable to connect with a number of banks. In addition, the bank feed sometimes drops out transactions with no notice to the file owner or bookkeeper. Thanks to the lack of a reconciliation process tied to hard numbers, inaccuracies can pile up in the registers as a result. In addition, overall access to data in the registers is more awkward to accomplish than in either QBO or Wave. Editing transactions is significantly more complex than in QBO. The system of comparison between the "bank statement lines" and the account register was confusing at times. And there are odd glitches in the reporting (cannot recall all the details now, I only have one client left using this app) that I had to watch out for. Xero is a product that has some really amazing capabilities mixed in with real weaknesses.

Leanne
MD in France
Staffing & Recruiting, 2–10 Employees

Easy to deploy and use providing you have basic book-keeping knowledge

5,0 3 years ago

Comments: Solid and simple cloud accounting solution that is easy to navigate and customise. Great that our external accountants and legal support can access online as they need. Seems to be continuously evolving and its reassuring to see ongoing development of the product.

Pros:

Customisable dashboard is a time saver and ability to customise templates helps with consistency for our company branding. Customisation of user permissions means the bonus of staff being able to enter their own expenses which is a further time saver. Being able to work across multiple currencies now is a plus, albeit I wish we could manually adjust exchange rates being used.

Cons:

Many advanced features that are standard for longer established accounting software solutions are available, but as "bolt on" packages, so costs can escalate quickly if you need full "bells and whistles". Customer service response can be very slow compared to other cloud software providers we use - in the beginning they were responsive for engagement but over time they're clearly pushing all customers towards getting answers from their user community and/or through the Q&A section. I appreciate that customer service probably don't want to be wasting time with queries better addressed by professional book-keepers or accountants, but in our instance, as "advanced users", our customer service queries tend to be related to technical challenges with the product. It would be great of Xero could analyse the types of queries coming from their customers and perhaps have a priority helpline on offer for "low maintenance" subscribers.

Iain
Industrial Automation, 2–10 Employees

Very different to Sage 50

4,0 2 years ago

Comments: We moved from Sage line 50 to Xero, this has mainly been a positive experience. From our day-to-day usage, sending invoices, chasing debt, bank reconciliation it is very easy to use. Our accountant set up Dext to import receipts and expenses which means we spend much less time with data entry now and we are much more paperless than we were. The key driver for us was to work in a cloud based system that would integrate with other business management systems and Xero kept coming up as the one that plays nicely with lots of other services. Our managment accountant has taken a lot more convincing as the web-based interface can be a little more clumsy in some 'pure-accountancy' areas and getting the chart of accounts nicely presented has taken a bit of effort. Generally we're really happy with Xero and are also happy with the split that the CRM/MRP/ERP system is supported by that vendor leaving the accountancy to the accountancy experts.

Pros:

Ease of use from a day-to-day perspective for a non accountant and integration with other cloud software such as Dext and Flowlens

Cons:

We have had a couple of glitches where bank feeds have stopped working for periods of time, manual import of bank statements can take a few attempts to get right.

Andrew
Creative & Managing Director in Australia
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Xero makes finance so easy

5,0 2 years ago

Comments: Since starting with Xero over six years ago, we couldn't be happier. We've centralised all our financial activity into one platform, which is great for non-finance people like myself!

Pros:

Xero makes managing the finances for a business really straightforward. The user interface is intuitive and it centralises all my accounts information. One of my favourite features is the the dashboard, which is clear and customisable, and gives a great summary of the position position at any time. The software also integrates really well to other platforms for things like receipt capture and detailed business analysis.

Cons:

I'm really happy with how it performs, however, our bookkeeper still does some levels of manual reporting, which he finds easier in Excel, than in Xero. The integration of BA tools does negate this issue.

Faisal Shafi
Faisal Shafi
Financial Controller in Pakistan
Financial Services, 501–1 000 Employees

Make Your Accounting Automated

4,0 last year

Comments: Xero is cloud-based accounting software that connects banks, accountants, management, and advisors from anywhere with any device with active internet. It performs all accounting tasks from preparing ledgers, accounts receivable, accounts payable, financial statements to the management of payroll, taxation, bank reconciliation, and inventory. Online billing enables to send bill through email.

Pros:

Xero manages the whole accounting of business straight forward. Particularly automating the process of bank reconciliation is amazing time saver, it connects to banks and credit cards. Moreover, it effectively and easily integrates with other cloud based software which enhances usability of Xero.

Cons:

Process of bank reconciliation has been automated but the process got glitches causing bank feeds stopped and entity has to restore to importing bank statement manually which takes time and attempts more than once. Inventory management needs improvement. Customer support is not perfect comparatively. It is not user friendly for those who have little accounting knowledge.

Mitchell
Accounting Manager in US
Investment Management, 11–50 Employees

The BEST Small Business Accounting Platform

5,0 last year

Comments: Having used Xero since 2013, I am yet to find a better product. The software and the overall company have never missed a beat. They are continually adding features (see Hubdoc integration, transparent, have competitive pricing, and connect accountants with business (refer to Xerocon events).

Pros:

Xero has everything for startup companies and small businesses. Their software is 10 out 10 on user interface. It was born in the cloud and continues to exceed Quickbooks by a long shot. Most everything Quickbooks has added to its software in the past 10 years, is because Xero did it first.

Cons:

The software does not have a tax add-on when compared to Quickbooks (Intuit). They are plenty of integrations to solve this issue but it would be nice to have. Integrating bill payment is more difficult compared to Quickbooks as well.

Elliot
Accounting, 11–50 Employees

Best choice in the market !!

5,0 last year

Comments: It has provided a solution for more than 200 of our clients of varying sizes and complexities.

Pros:

Xero is first and foremost easy to use and benefits from clever AI functionality. Keeping an eye on the business is much easier via Xero as it shows a snapshot of key data on the dashboard. With the available integrations there are very little limitations to its use and it is well priced for the majority of our clients

Cons:

The Payroll module is quite clunky and better options are out there in our opinion. An enhanced cash flow and adding a forecasting element within the software would help. Making it easier to post customer payments on account would also improve an already good product

Christopher
CTO in UK
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

The clean and clear accounting software

5,0 10 months ago

Comments: Since I started using it, everything I have needed Xero for has been straightforward. It takes minutes to get a basic invoice setup and sent to a client, and not much longer to make a more advanced invoice. It is easy to connect to your bank account and reconcile incomings and outgoings. It is also easy to give your accountants access.Overall, Xero makes it easy for you to avoid mistakes, and very importantly it has plenty of functionality that will allow it to grow with a company, as you need more advanced features, they are there, often at little to no extra cost. Having Xero helped a lot when starting my business, by making handling my fiances and accounting clean and clear.

Pros:

Xero provides a clean and straightforward experience. It has plenty of features for most use cases, but provides functionality that is easy for anyone to use from small business owners up. The integrations they provide, both with Open banking, and allowing you to give your accountants access, make it a breeze to correctly handle your finances and avoid time consuming mistakes come the end of the tax year.

Cons:

Having used Xero for many years, there is not much that I have found that I don't like about the system. Sole traders may find the 20 invoice a month restriction limiting, but that only applies to the Starter subscription. The prices of the others are more than reasonable to validate upgrading which gets you unlimited invoices. On occasion there will be bank feed issues, at which point you might be left wondering why your balances don't match. Finding out there is an issue with the feed from your particular bank is not obivous, but can be found by clicking through to their "Why is this different" page. From my experience this is the only con, and it is quite minor.

Sherm
Creative Marketing Genius | Small Business Marketing Expert in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

XERO reconciliation is an issue

4,0 4 years ago

Comments: Overall, it's a decent program, with all the bells and whistles you'd expect from a cloud based accounting program. Unfortunately working without being able to reconcile monthly made life too difficult. And not many accountants work with it, so that made it difficult to have professional eyes on my accounting.

Pros:

I loved how easy it was to integrate XERO with my bank accounts and Paypal. XERO seamlessly connected and kept my balances up to date. I also liked how easy it was to invoice clients and connect invoices to Paypal or Stripe.

Cons:

Unfortunately, the reconciliation process in XERO is a no-go for me. Rather than the Quickbooks and standard approach, where you do a monthly reconciliation against a bank statement, XERO had no such function. Once an item was matched up to a bank transaction, it was considered "reconciled." No option to close out a month and double-check transactions. I went back to QBO to get that feature.

William
CEO in US
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

The best at what it does

5,0 8 years ago

Comments: Full Disclosure: I am an accountant and I recommend Xero to many of my clients. When the expectations are in alignment with the capabilities of the software, then everyone is happy. People get into trouble with ANY software when they jump in thinking they know what it does and are then disappointed. All accounting and ERP software has limitations and Xero is no exception, but what it does, it does well. It provides payables, receivables, bank reconciliation and general ledger as its core functionality. There is a very capable estimating/quoting/order/ process that ties into AR invoices smoothly. But, the requisition/purchase/inventory side is very, very basic. In fact there are no requisitions and the purchase orders are so limited that I recommend you not use them. The inventory is only what is needed to make the sales side functional. So, if you need strong inventory support, you have to use a third-party add-on designed just for this purpose.

Pros:

What is good about Xero are 1) Real-time bank feeds and bank reconciliation - this is what scared the pants off of Intuit and forced them to develop new functionality. 2) Xero fully embraces and enables third-party developers to provide niche solutions that have rich interaction with Xero. 3) The features keep getting better and better quarter after quarter. 4) Perhaps my relationship as a partner skews this, but I've had nothing but excellent support from Xero. I can call someone if I have to, but I almost always get issues resolved through technical support in a timely fashion. Some of my favorite add-ons for Xero are GeoOp for field services, Deputy which integrates its scheduling, time and attendance functions with Xero payroll, and Float which projects cashflow. The new reporting and the tags are fantastic.

Cons:

There are some features I would like to see "sooner," but they are on the roadmap for "later." People jump on Xero because of the price without having a Xero consultant evaluate their suitability for the application - that can create an expectation gap, and that inevitably leads to an unhappy customer. I just hate it when people let their wallet do their thinking for them and then blame the software because it "doesn't do enough." The payroll is fine. I spoke to the VP in charge of payroll development and he is all about improving the functionality, so it will continue to improve. What is there now is very well designed to be comprehensive and flexible, but there are situations where a third-party payroll like Gusto will make more sense for your organization. They are the first ones to suggest you look at solutions like Gusto, ADP, Paychex and others that integrate seamlessly with Xero. It is annoying that the tags are limited to two categories, and this won't be revised until they have their design for job costing completed. No word yet on when that will be.

Afzal
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Effortless Accounting with Xero, but at a Price

5,0 10 months ago

Comments: I have been using Xero for accounting for quite some time now, and overall, I am quite satisfied with the software. The best thing I like about Xero is how easy it is to use. The interface is intuitive, and the software is designed to be user-friendly, even for those who are not accounting experts. It makes managing my financials a breeze and saves me a lot of time. The software has a wide range of features and integrations that allow me to keep my business finances organized and up to date.However, the one thing that I do not like about Xero is its pricing. It is quite expensive compared to other accounting software in the market. While I understand that Xero offers a lot of features, I believe that the pricing could be more affordable, especially for small businesses like mine.Overall, Xero is a great accounting software that is easy to use and has a lot of features that can help streamline your business finances. While the price may be a bit steep for some, I believe that the benefits it provides are worth the investment.

Ra
programmer in Saudi Arabia
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Xero is the ideal accounting solution for small businesses - easy, comprehensive and integrated.

5,0 6 months ago

Comments: Overall, my experience with Xero has been extremely positive. I found the transition to the platform smooth and straightforward. The intuitive user interface allowed me to get started with the software quickly without the need for extensive training. I’m now able to easily manage invoices, payments, and track expenses. The integrations with banks and payment apps enabled me to automate financial processes. The reporting and dashboards helped me make better decisions to grow my business. I'm very happy with choosing Xero as my accounting solution, and would recommend any startup to consider it.

Pros:

What I liked most about Xero was its user-friendly interface. The dashboard is simple and streamlined, allowing me and my accounting team to use the software smoothly even without extensive accounting background. I also enjoy the mobile access on phones and tablets, enabling me to manage accounting tasks anywhere. Additionally, the seamless integration with other banking and invoicing apps is great. Overall, Xero is easy to use and helpful for handling the day-to-day accounting of my business.

Cons:

What I liked least about Xero was the limited custom reporting options. While Xero provides many standard financial reports, the ability to customize reports or create more complex accounting reports is restricted. So sometimes I need to export data to Excel to build custom reports. It also lacks advanced support for inventory or manufacturing accounting. But overall, Xero covers my needs as a small business for now, and I expect the platform will continue improving over time.

Fergus
General Manager in Ireland
Construction, 11–50 Employees

Can't contact xero and more

1,0 4 years ago

Comments: Can’t contact Xero
A little note for anyone out there looking to move to Xero Accounting. Xero will not allow you to contact them, except via their non customer friendly Xero Central. Xero will not take phone calls. Xero will not take emails. They don’t do “chat”. At all. Does that say enough about their customer service? This is just one of their many, many faults. Their customer service is genuinely the worst that I or anyone at our company have ever seen in a combined 200 years working with software packages. I strongly urge you, if you’re considering Xero as an accounting package, to think again and do your research first. They do not and will not listen to their customers. Don’t take my word for it, do your research and you’ll find out. There are dozens of requests to their product development and customer service, for VERY BASIC accounting functionality, some of which are ongoing for around 10 YEARS and despite hundreds of customers making the same request in some cases, they still choose to ignore it.
It’s hard to leave an accounting package, once you get involved but I promise you, that you will, once you see how terrible this company is, how little regard they have for paying customers, how silly some of the issues are and once you get the time to go through the whole change process again. Once again, I urge you to do your research and think again. I’ve spent the time writing this email in the hope that I can help someone to avoid the frustration and despair that we

Pros:

It has some good features but unfortunately they are overcome by the poor ones.

Cons:

There are so many negatives, it's hard to know where to start They can't be contacted so if you have a problem, you'll have it for a long time (or maybe forever) VAT retrun period can't be closed. So someone can amend an invoice or bill or add one in to a previous VAT period, which of course screws everything up You can't set a date for stock to arrive. When you make the order, the system assumest that it's now in stock! You can't save two customers with the same name! They will tell you to add a special character to duplicate names! Unbelievable but true! There are no delivery notes/packing slips. They tout a "workaround" but be warned, it's exactly 10 extra clicks so it's really not an option if you need this feature If you want to send a document after preparing it, first you have to save it, wait for it to save, it takes you out to a main screen, you have to click back into it and then send it (if you send directly, it will send a draft document only) Invoice, quotation, calendar functions are jumpy and extremely diffult to edit. This applies to all browsers, incognito modes, etc., it's just a really bad editor. If you enter a contact's account, system brings open documents to the top even if these are quotes which are no longer needed. Invoices, quotes, payments are then all muddled up together is it's very hard to see what you want. Extremely badly designed in this regard. If you create a Draft invoice, it takes a sequential number. This screws up your sequences.