15 years helping South African businesses

About Backlog

Transform project management with Backlog, the ultimate solution for tasks, version control, and bug tracking.

Learn more about Backlog

Pros:

I like that is easy to use but some features have to be more accurate.

Cons:

When i review pull request on Backlog, i can't see the number of deleted line, added line and total changed line. Github has this feature.

Backlog ratings

4.3

8.5/10

Backlog has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 130 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Backlog before?

Ivan
Ivan
Managing Consultant in Czechia
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

backlog.com better than many "Goliath" systems

Comments: We use backlog.com as overall tracking and project management tool for our projects, support tasks and maintenance activities that we provide to our customer. We selected backlog.com after evaluating many other tools (like Jira, Pivotal tracker etc.) and backlog.com became the clear winner. Why ? Because this tool combine together the best features of all other tool while still being neat and straightforward. Backlog.com has been proving it at our daily use for 1 year approximately. Well done. Thank you.

Pros:

neat design supporting easy of use all necessary functions available on-click excellent for agile approach clear and easy administration of projects, people etc. integration with email and MS Excel (exports) subtasking no-time to get started and leverage the tool by users fast and responsive design standalone application for iOS

Cons:

nothing essential maybe more storage space included in plans better numbering of subtasks (to include number of parent issue)

Akhilesh
Akhilesh
Software Test Engineer in India
Telecommunications, 11–50 Employees

Backlog has your back!

Comments: The product is clutter-free and any features that are added have simple use cases and helps in easier implementation. A good user interface to avoid daily hassles involved in bug/defect reporting daily as a tester.

Pros:

Bug identification and creation have never been simpler. Its unique way to describe and categorize the issue at hand is well sorted and makes for a clean and understandable user experience.

Cons:

There might be issues that are created and assigned by parts and during bug/defect identification and creation, assigning these bugs should have an option to assign multiple members instead of single-member.

Ulf
Software Developer in Sweden
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Versatile task and issues tracker tool

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Easy to use versatile project/task/issue management tool. It can be used for many different purposes and doesn't put any constraints on any use case.

Cons:

I miss a quick option to update progress on a task/issue without having to open it for editing. For example, if you want to set an issue as "resolved", then you have to open it for editing, change status to resolved, and then save and close it. I would like to be able to do this with just one click or one selection in a dropdown from where the issue is listed.

Nulab Response

2 months ago

Hi there, Thank you for sharing you experience with Backlog! We are happy to hear that it is meeting your needs for various use cases. We understand that not having the option to quickly update issue statuses without opening the issue can be time consuming, and we have passed your feedback on to our development team. In the meantime, please note that you can update multiple issue statuses at once with the batch update feature: https://support.nulab.com/hc/en-us/articles/8707143605401 Happy collaborating!

Đặng
QA in Vietnam
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Backlog need to be changed and improved

Comments: Sorry but the truth is inconvenience for me. I hope Backlog can do more for me and my project.
I can't have the statistics I want at Home, I can't see overall my project ...
I Hope Backlog can be developed and help us more in the future.

Pros:

The color of issue can be changed, I can customize the characteristics of issue for each project.

Cons:

when I filter all issue of project , it shows parents issue and sub-issue. If I click on the arrow, which is head of parent issue, Backlog shows all of sub-issue of that parent issue, which are showed before. So many issues are showed twice. It can make me confused. I think Backlog shoud list parent issue and issue has no parent issue. About issue has parent issue, you can hide and when user click on the arrow, it can be showed. Thank you

Yongjin
Commercial Pre-Sales in South Korea
Internet, 1,001–5,000 Employees

A fan of Backlog

Comments: using for issue tracking, and regular meeting agenda / minutes at WIKI space.

Pros:

The best tool with easy UI for users, and comparatively reasonable price!

Cons:

Not sure how to backup all the contents and versioning if I should move to another platform.

Vishal
Lead iOS Developer in India
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Unveiling the Power of Our Backlog Project Management Tool

Comments: I personally like backlog as compare to other project management tool. If we need to send report for daily status to higher position person then it is easy to copy ticket and make reports.

Pros:

Easy to UnderstandUser-Friendly UIEasy to track issue/Bug/Enhancement

Cons:

First screen, we need to enter Username & Password because if we entered email and enter password for next screen, It will hard to repeat process if we entered wrong password.

Kartik
CEO in US
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Good Product Project Management

Pros:

The low tech look and interface gives you comfort and does not overwhelm you.

Cons:

UI is not as responsive as it should be. All pages load fully which takes time.

Jignesh
Technical Lead in India
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Best Expericance with Backlog

Comments: Overall Excellent experience using backlog and happy to use.

Pros:

I have used most feature and all are very useful and easy to use and manage.UI is very user friendly.

Cons:

There are no any cons in backlog. all feature are working good.

Outsourcing/Offshoring, 51–200 Employees

CamNX - Review Backlog

Pros:

The comment feature and Bug management. The comment attachments

Cons:

I have the activity and my comment in one tab in Page. I just want it 2 tabs.

Aldridge
Aldridge
IT Application admin in Suriname
Logistics & Supply Chain, 201–500 Employees

Great Project management Tool for Daily use

Comments: the overall experience is EXCELLENT.

Pros:

the user interface of backlog is very user friendly, and it is an easy to use it.easy to navigate.

Cons:

it has limited integrations with powerbi.we want to build a powerBI report base on the project information. but cannot get all the information

Jim
Application Engineer in US
Logistics & Supply Chain, 201–500 Employees

Great Collaboration Software

Comments: UI is easy to use. Issues are clearly tracked. Robust attachment management. Email notifications are effective and clear. Icon personalization is a nice touch.

Pros:

I'm solving problems related to software design and development. We work across different time zones, and BackLog is great for our international projects. In conjunction with realtime collaborative software, we are able to use BackLog for high-level project organization.

Cons:

Working with the smartphone app is not as useful since the browser version is so well designed. Also unwieldy at times when flipping between different projects. No realtime chat. Wish there were more markdown options for formatting.

Daniel
COO in US
Internet, 11–50 Employees

At first Backlog seems like a bit much but now our team could not function with out it.

Comments: Streamlined workflow and the ability to see who's accountable for what and where projects are. It's help us stay on track and keep projects under budget and on time.

Pros:

It's task oriented without feeling like a burden. Other project management tools I've used feel like glorified lists but Backlog offers a lot more. Getting your team on board is difficult but the flow of using Backlog makes sense and came natural for us. We work 100% remotely so if it didn't work we would know right away something wasn't right.

Cons:

For us, one of the strengths about Backlog is the integrations with Typetalk. We use both but I do with they were more tightly integrated. For example, simply using at mentions on Backlog. Messages from Backlog issues go to Typetalk and we use @username to create an alert on Typetalk at the same time. This might be particular to our team but it's really helpful. When I type (@) on a Backlog comment or description I want the list of usernames to show.

Getachew
Construction supervisor in Ethiopia
Utilities, 501–1,000 Employees

Sprint backlog

Comments: Prioritization: A backlog allows the business to prioritize tasks and projects based on their importance and urgency.It ensures that the most critical items are addressed first, preventing important tasks from falling through the cracks.2.Resource allocation: With a backlog, businesses can effectively allocate their resources, such as employees, time, and budget.It enables them to plan and distribute resources based on the backlog's priorities, ensuring that resources are not wasted or misused.

Pros:

Project Management Capabilities: Backlog offers a range of project management features, including task tracking, subtasking, milestones, and Gantt chart visualization.Users appreciate these functionalities to keep their projects organized.

Cons:

Complexity: Some users find Backlog to be too complicated, especially for those who are new to project management tools.The learning curve can be steep and may require some time to fully understand and utilize all of its features.

surendra
Developer in India
E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

Great Software

Comments: It is very user friendly and easy to use

Pros:

I have been using backlog from the past 2+ years. It is very easy to use. It has many features like wiki, store file, gantt chart... Recently they introduced the Board which is very useful to see all the tasks in one place.

Cons:

There is nothing i am disliking from this software

Nguyen
Project Director in Vietnam
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Good services with the best price

Comments: I did use backlog in 4 years, and It good for my company with more than 120 users, and run 30 project at the same time

Pros:

Cons:

need add more than status check (current status: open, In progress, Resolved, Closed) need add more (Review)

Bhadra
Marketing Manager in Indonesia
Retail, 51–200 Employees

Good Experience

Comments: After using Backlog, each project management has been improved: better time management, better updates in team during project progress

Pros:

- project management based - easy to use and create project/issue

Cons:

- some part confusing in terms of UI - people who was notified at first time issue created, wont be automatically notified if not mention in notify people when make comment/update

Pharmaceuticals, 10,000+ Employees

Easy to learn quality program

Comments: Overall excellent app for a great cost that your team has control over. You get to pay for the level your team will use without the burden of overwhelming excess features. Definitely recommend.

Pros:

I've been trying out a lot of project management software lately and I think Backlog is a strong contender among them. It's quick to learn and the UI is sleek and appealing. It has all the essential features for project tracking and coordination. I liked the inclusion of the Wiki as well, and I like the tiered subscription model they use, making it easy to find a level of feature availability that suites your team's needs.

Cons:

There isn't anything major that stands out. There's room for more options and features (more specificity in the prioritization area, maybe) but it has all the essentials from what I can tell.

Mitchell
Software Developer in US
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Backlog is a very useful tool

Comments: Backlog has helped us better track software bugs and issues reported by our clients. It's definitely made our clients more satisfied with our service that we're now able to better keep track of, and respond to, the bugs and issues they raise.

Pros:

I like the way Backlog helps us keep track of bugs and issues and which member of our team is assigned to them. Keeping track of bugs and issues that our clients raise is one of the areas that we struggle the most with, and Backlog helps us address this potential shortcoming.

Cons:

Some parts of the interface can be a little counter-intuitive to navigate. I think the next iteration of the Backlog interface could go a long way to make the tool easier to use, smoother, and even more useful.

Carmen
Senior Managing Director in US
, Self Employed

Backlog Review

Comments: Solid PM tool with flexible pricing options.

Pros:

Solid Project Management tool for software development teams. Interface is intuitive and training is minimal. Good reporting and project communication capabilities.

Cons:

Sometimes the more advanced features you are looking for are only available in the higher cost subscriptions.

Devaraj
Team Leader in India
Information Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Excellent Tool

Comments: It helps us a lot to track all the issues and also it helps to take action on issues in a timely manner

Pros:

1. Easy to use, not an complicated one. 2. Quick alerts, easy to track all posted issues 3. I'll recommend more

Cons:

I'm fully satisfied and I didn't see any cons over here

Marketing & Advertising, 501–1,000 Employees

Good tool overall for bug tracking

Comments: Overall pretty solid with great features to keep everyone growing the boat in the same direction!

Pros:

Backlog is a fairly simple and intuitive platform that gives the full development/product teams visibility into bugs reported by the business and allows for simple, seamless prioritization.

Cons:

It's cool that Backlog offers iPhone and Android apps but they're a little diminished feature-wise compared to the full app. Still pretty handy though!

Hospital & Health Care, 51–200 Employees

Suprisingly easy to use, yet feature-packed

Comments: We have a new healthcare application that is in the early stages of development. I was looking for a solution that was simple to setup, yet could effectively manage issues and provide a "home" for the project. Backlog's issue tracking + project wiki are the perfect combination and solution.

Pros:

It was extremely easy to setup projects, including customizing issue categories and types. UI is very clean, yet provides lots of functionality without having to dig for buried actions.

Cons:

Only regarding the project wiki -- I'd prefer to see better HTML support instead of just Markdown.

Nchimunya
Software Engineer in Zambia
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

A genuine review on backlog

Pros:

Prioritization, Task Scheduling, IT project management, The platform simple is to use and was easily integrated to our system

Cons:

Honestly I found the system to be user friendly and we haven’t found disadvantages yet but if we find any problems will let you know

Md Mohiminur
Manager in Bangladesh
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

My office back is Backlog

Pros:

Very easy to manage task.Hassle free edit start and out both times.Group tracking was top notch .In Backlog UI is very attractive from my side.

Cons:

In my opinion need to add more feature like screenshot images video etc.

Hernan
CTO in Argentina
Telecommunications, 201–500 Employees

A must in UAT stage

Comments: We are in a huge project that goes from an old BSS to a new one. We are moving from monolithic software to a microservices architecture, so the project is quite complex. The backlog allows us to handle issues during user acceptance testing in a very clean and dynamic way.

Pros:

Very easy set up. Users can get used to the tool very quickly without special knowledge or training.

Cons:

We have been using the tool for 2 months and we still have the benefit, so I have not detected any drawbacks yet ...