• Overall
    4,5 /5
    4,6 /5
    4,5 /5

About Sunrise

Cloud-based bookkeeping tool to streamline finance & accounting, tax assistance & preparation, documentation, expense tracking & more.

Learn more about Sunrise

Mike O.
Principal
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/26

"Great Product, Excellent Value"

Comments: It's been a great system to build our billing and invoicing process on and I don't know of any others out there that are any better.

Pros: I originally started using this product when it was called Billy and since Lendio bought them out and turned it into Sunrise they have added options that have been very helpful. The best so far (for both clients and myself) is the subscription feature for recurring invoices. The software is intuitive and has more features than I actually use, but I do think using the expenses features would be great for myself and my business, I just have not set it up yet.

Cons: The editing of recurring invoices is clunky at best. If there are changes to recurring invoices I generally delete the old one and replace it with a new one because I've have several instances where an edited recurring invoice sits in the system and never sends which of course is bad for both us and the client.

by Lendio on 2020/05/29

Mike, thank you for your wonderful feedback. It brings us joy to know that the software satisfies your business needs. We are always rooting for small businesses and want to make the tool as user friendly as possible. Our Product Team works hard to consistently meet and exceed our users expectations. Thank you for the feedback on the default recurring invoices. I will share this information with our team. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review.

• Reviewed on 2020/05/26
Justin N.
  • Reviewed on 2020/04/29

"Simple, easy, and to the point Accounting"

Comments: I've been a part of Sunrise since it was called Billy accounting software. Sunrise definitely took the strong foundation of Billy and continues to improve on it.

Pros: I've been using Billy/Sunrise since I started my business. They are quick to setup, and can be very simple to track your banking and invoicing, along with some advanced features to automate a lot of your accounting. The biggest pros I see are: - Quick and easy invoicing (including recurring)
- Connect your bank account for automatic transaction tracking
- Budgeting
- Integrates with Stripe for collecting payments but also offers their own merchant account (good to have a backup)

Cons: I'm not a power user since I'm a one-man business, but there is one big feature missing. There is no automatic payment/debit feature. Recurring invoices are just automatically sent, but need to be paid by the client. There is no way to auto-debit every month, which slows down a few workflows.

by Lendio on 2020/05/01

Thank you, Justin, for your awesome 5-star review. We are thrilled you are happy with the product. Our goal is to simplify bookkeeping, this mean making our tool intuitive and easy to use. Wishing you success and growth with your business.

• Reviewed on 2020/04/29
Bernard M.
ceo
Printing, 2-10 Employees

"Power user"

Comments: Totally happy with the software. Hope to see Payroll implementation soon and maybe booking capability.

Pros: Since day one I was able to quickly get set up and running the first day. The UI is simple yet intuitive and has may build in options that usually would come as a premium.

Cons: The only drawback for my company is the the inability to run payroll. That's it!

by Lendio on 2020/04/29

Thank you, Bernard, for your wonderful 5-star review. We strive to assist business owners in the best way possible. This means making our tool intuitive and easy-to-use. Our goal is to simplify bookkeeping, so anyone can understand the health of their business. We will loop in our Product Development team to your suggestion regarding payroll. We know payroll functionality is on their list of priorities. Wishing you success and growth with your business.

Matt A.
Video Producer
Motion Pictures & Film, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/31

"It gets me paid without a hassle"

Comments: Overall, this has been a remarkable software, and the support is outstanding.

Pros: I've used several invoicing platforms and so far, Sunrise is the easiest.
It's organized well, with the expense reports and other things I don't need to see frequently pushed to the side.
The main thing is to see an overview and then see my invoices. It delivers this flawlessly.
The overview shows an immediate comparison of the current year with your last year, and shows a pie chart for which clients have paid the most. It's always encouraging to see this clear info.

Cons: I would like it to integrate with TurboTax more easily. I often consider using Quickbooks invoicing just for this purpose. I'd also like a receipt snapshot feature like Quickbooks Self-Employed has, where I can just take a picture of a receipt and immediately import it into my expenses.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/31
Leonardo W.
Internet, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/16

"Easy to use Bookkeeping tool"

Pros: This tool was previously called Billy, but since Lendio bought it they changed the name to Sunrise. Not just the name changed, customer support improved a lot and the tool have more options. It's worth nothing that this tool will only working for people that are US-based. The double entry booking is the same used by Quickbooks and software like it. It's possible to attach receipts, invoice customers and charge them using Stripe, Square, PayPal and other payment gateways. It's a very powerful app, yet, simple

Cons: It would be nice to see recurring payments, a set and forget to charge customers that are on subscriptions. Support told me they will add it soon!

• Reviewed on 2019/07/16
Sam D.
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees

"Easy to Use"

Comments: Great overall experience

Pros: I can churn out a quote in no time. The automation is awesome - great value for the money.

Cons: Sometimes quotes will disappear and automatically archive for some reason. Some of the features are buried deep and require looking around. Desperately needs a mobile app

by Lendio on 2020/04/29

Sam, we are ecstatic you had a pleasant experience with Sunrise. You should not be jumping over hurdles when it comes to invoicing and bookkeeping. We strive to simplify bookkeeping and will continue to improve our product for our small business owners. Our product team has been working hard on developing an app and should launch very soon. I will make sure your feedback gets in the hands of our development team. Thank you for the awesome review.

Carolyn B.
Freelance Writer and Content Manager
  • Reviewed on 2018/05/05

"An accounting tool with a lot of potential"

Pros: First and foremost, I really appreciate that the development team are working so hard to make their users happy and constantly improve this tool. I purchased this tool last summer during an Appsumo sale knowing that I would probably need to wait a little while to implement Billy into my business. At the time, it didn't offer features that I required for invoicing, tax management and bookkeeping. I implemented this tool a little over a month ago and have been fairly happy since then. The dashboard is easy to navigate and once I got the hang of how to properly account for multiple currencies it was even easier. I've reached out several times to support and have typically received prompt responses, though they are not always helpful (received links to help pages without images or tutorial videos that definitely used to have those support tools embedded). As with most support teams, patience is important. Overall, I think Billy has the potential to be a really great small biz accounting tool and I've decided to stick around because of this. My plan is to reassess the software and how it is meeting my needs at the end of 2018 and decide if this is still the right fit for my business.

Cons: I really, really need the ability to add and track multiple tax lines. I'm in the process of figuring out a workaround, but it will likely mean tracking some of my income through a separate tool. I also wish that the weekly office hour meetings (or a summary) could be made available in an archive for those that can't attend.

• Reviewed on 2018/05/05
Johnathan M.
  • Reviewed on 2017/04/27

"Simple, But Powerful"

Comments: I'm extremely satisfied with my decision to switch to Billy. I've been using the software for a little over two months. I've developed some pros that I thought set Billy apart from some its competitors. Additionally, I've provided some cons to make people aware. PROS:
- Ridiculously easy to use.
- The ability to reconcile -- most invoicing and billing softwares do not have this, and if they do, it's extremely complicated and hard to use.
- Customer portal (where customers can see past and current invoices -- paid, outstanding, and overdue)
- Recurring invoices
- Automatically import bills into billy by forwarding them to a Billy email address
- AMAZING customer service. All of the questions and concerns I've had have been addressed extremely quickly.
CONS:
- Some features are lacking
While Billy has a ton of amazing features, there are some features that they lack. See below: - There is no CC option when sending recurring or regular invoices. In order to send to more than one person, you need to manually choose the contact and send. This can be extremely inconvenient for people who have a lot of recurring invoices that get sent regularly to more than one contact within an organization.
- It's a pain to reconcile batch invoices. If you have any sort of payment gateway that batches transactions into one lump sum (stripe), it's a little time consuming to reconcile. Evan generously provided me with a guide on how to do it, but it takes quite a bit of extra work than it does with normal transactions.
- There are no recurring bills. If you have bills that you usually get every month, you need to manually put them in each time you get them.
- There is no option to take out Billy branding within the invoices you send.

• Reviewed on 2017/04/27
James E.
Marketing Director
  • Reviewed on 2018/09/11

"An Amazing Alternative to Other Accounting Programs"

Comments: I have really simplified my workflow using Billy. It's been a great tool to use to set up recurring invoices for some of my clients.

Pros: What I like the most about Billy is the ease of use. It's simple to get started and get your bank accounts set up and create invoices, quotes, etc.

Cons: What I like the least about this software is that I have two businesses that I use Billy with and because it's cloud based I have to log into two differnt accounts, one with chrome and the other with firefox. It makes it complicated if you have more than one business as you will need different log-ins and subscriptions. It would be awesome if they could expand it to contain multiple businesses with the ability to simply click on the business name and change to another business.

by Billy on 2018/09/12

Hi James,

You can actually have one account with multiple organizations.

With that setup, you can have one login for all of your orgs.

Please contact our support to help you set that up.

• Reviewed on 2018/09/11
Director Of Technology
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/20

"Better than quickbooks, but still not the best"

Comments: I've used quickbooks, freshbooks, xero. Billyapp does fill in the gap, but some extra features (mentioned in the cons) will make it #1

Pros: Simple and fully functional accounting & billing system that has multi-currency invoicing

Cons: Doesn't have recurring expenses, unable to generate customer statements, unable to apply a discount % or amount in an invoice. Website is not mobile responsive. app name "billyapp" sounds 'Naff', when i tell clients to check their email for our invoicing system sent from "billapp"... Could I use my own custom domain or you use another domain to send emails?

by Billy on 2018/11/23

You are able to create customer statements and apply discounts to invoices. Please contact our support for help.

Jason C.
Ceo
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/21

"Good software"

Pros: Good softwareEasy to use easy to understand does not take much time to learn the ins and outs of the software to be proficient in the sport is top notch when you have a question

Cons: Not really a lot not to like about the software somethings are repetitive but you can change it in settings.

by Lendio on 2020/05/27

Jason, we're glad you had a pleasant experience with Sunrise. You should not be jumping over hurdles when it comes to bookkeeping. We strive to simplify bookkeeping and will continue to improve our product for our small business owners. Thank you for the glowing review.

• Reviewed on 2020/05/21
Sandhya L.
Founder and CEO
Cosmetics, Self Employed

"Great for a startup"

Comments: Good, but would only use for the beginning year or two of a startup. Definitely not for advanced features or book keeping.

Pros: The Billy software is very easy to use, pretty trivial.

Cons: Billy lacks a lot of features as the company grows and advances, also does not have an actual app that you can use from mobile device. It is very limited in its use to receipt captures only.

Debbie O.
Owner and Blogger
Writing & Editing, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/04

"Basic but just what I need"

Comments: I amsaving money compared to my previouse accounting package, but this is much more simple and streamlined.

Pros: I find the software very simple and basic. It does exactly what I need it to, with no complications or awkward stuff. That being said i am an accountant and I know what I'm doing - might be a little bit too basic for a total beginner....

Cons: Billy is still very much in start up phase, and not everything works exactly as I would want yet, although I think they are heading in the right direction. Over the last six weeks or so I finally managed to connect my bank account nd transfer transactions automatically - once I manage to connect my Paypal account too I will be in heaven

• Reviewed on 2018/11/04
Real Estate Agent
Real Estate, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/29

"Sunrise Accounting Software Makes Bookkeeping & Invoicing Fast and Efficient..."

Pros: Sunrise Accounting Software works efficiently in almost any web browser and made my life easier. No longer having to type up invoices, track payments, and worry about how to know the status of everything has made me more efficient and decreased my stress level.

Cons: It took a little bit of time to set up and has tons of options that I am probably never going to need or use but it does exactly what I need.

by Lendio on 2020/06/01

We are ecstatic you had a pleasant experience with Sunrise. You should not be jumping over hurdles when it comes to bookkeeping. We strive to simplify bookkeeping and will continue to improve our product for our small business owners. Thank you for the glowing review.

• Reviewed on 2020/05/29
Mark L.
Entertainment, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/12

"Marks take"

Comments: My experience has been mostly very good until recently. I have to use Firefox because the Brave browser immediately logs me out saying logged out due to inactivity. I plan on digging deeper into what the program can do for me other than invoicing.

Pros: I use this only for invoicing and it works great.

Cons: The inability to resize columns in the invoices.

by Lendio on 2020/05/21

Hi Mark, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We've noted the issue with your browser and have reported it to our Development team. Please reach out to us if you have any other comments or concerns at [email protected] Thank you!

• Reviewed on 2020/05/12
David W.
President/Owner
Professional Training & Coaching, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/27

"Making Life Easier"

Comments: Very positive, once I engaged and learned how to use it effectively. I have a GREAT bookkeeper in [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN].

Pros: [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is my bookkeeper and he is always looking out for me. I have never met [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], but he has earned my trust.

Cons: I have no complaints about the software.

by Lendio on 2020/06/01

Hi David, thank you for your wonderful feedback. That is our mission and goal here. We strive to have the small business owner's back. To lift you up and help you succeed. We are thrilled to hear that Stephen has earned your trust to efficiently and effectively manage your books. We are lucky to have him on the team!

• Reviewed on 2020/05/27
Eldrick L.
Technology Manger

"USER Friendly Invoicing"

Comments: Great Product.

Pros: I like the invoicing feature and how you can add pictures to items. This made invoicing very productive for me. My customer was able to see exactly whet the product was they were getting invoiced for.

Cons: I need more information on the bank set up.

by Lendio on 2020/04/29

Thank you for your glowing review, Eldrick. We've made note of your feedback regarding more information on the bank set up. Here is a help article that may be useful: http://support.sunriseapp.com/en/articles/812569-link-your-bank-account. If you are still experiencing trouble, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. Thank you for your review and happy bookkeeping!

Scott L.
Help Desk Engineer
Computer & Network Security, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/08/28

"Best Online Invoice Maker"

Comments: We first started using the free version and eventually moved to the paid version and are very happy with how it has worked. We are able to create invoices outside of the office on the road and accept payments online.

Pros: This was quick to set up​ and add customers and products.

Cons: The invoice template is hard to change and hard to customize.

• Reviewed on 2018/08/28
Joe W.
Sports Writer
Sports, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/16

"Perfect for my small business"

Comments: I do all of my invoicing through Billy which works very well. I'm moving into selling products as well so will utilise Billy for that as well.

Pros: I like the ease of use combined with the number of features available in Billy.

Cons: There are some customisation options that are missing, specifically the ability to change dates to the format used in Britain (dd/mm/yy). I'd love some integration with other software that I use as well.

• Reviewed on 2018/11/16
Kevin M.
  • Reviewed on 2020/06/04

"Full Featured"

Comments: If I ever need help or further explanation of a feature, the help guides are very well written and support is available within the app. However, I don't think they work weekends.

Pros: It has so many financial and bookkeeping features inside that I still haven't used half of it in my two years of using them. I've been a member since the beginning when it was called Billy.

Cons: Not many cons but if you're not a CPA or similar professional , you probably won't use the majority of features included in the free account.

by Lendio on 2020/06/16

Kevin, we are ecstatic you had a pleasant experience with Sunrise. You should not be jumping over hurdles when it comes to bookkeeping. We strive to simplify bookkeeping and will continue to improve our product for our small business owners. Thank you for the awesome review.

• Reviewed on 2020/06/04
Professional Training & Coaching, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/20

"Great Software for Entrepreneurs"

Comments: It’s been a good experience thus far. They are continually making improvements to their software. (I’m excited to use the app!)

Pros: I like the ease and ability to keep my business finances in order. The dashboard is great along with the other features - being able to create invoices with a link for payment, profit/loss and balance sheets, and tax statements.

Cons: There is nothing I dislike about the software so far.

• Reviewed on 2018/11/20
Executive Assistant | Online Business Manager | Project Manager | Systems Automation | Consultant
Executive Office, Self Employed

"Love Billy"

Pros: I love that this is a double- entry accounting platform. They have the ability to capture receipts and sync to my bank which is a HUGE plus. The ability to create recurring invoices is an added bonus for me as a solopreneur. Any aspect of time savings multiplied throughout my week and month is a great bonus.

Cons: The only downside for the software, for me, right now is their inability to auto=charge ACH drafts for recurring invoices. This would be a lifesaver for me for my retainer clients. Yes, they can pay via ACH, but for whatever reason none of my retainer clients have started paying that way. Any way we can make it easier for our Cilents to pay the better, and ACH would drastically reduce credit card fees.

Francis Y.
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/05/05

"good experience while using"

Pros: The software is quite easy to input a invoice or expense. UX is very friendly to me, and I like the user interface.

Cons: The software is not compatible with Chinese. Furthermore the tax policy is not same as Taiwanese tax policy. It's really such a shame.

• Reviewed on 2017/05/05
Mark H.
Managing Partner
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/17

"What if You Could Billy Today?"

Comments: Billy takes care of an important part of my companies financiel overviews. This is great. Having said that, we are keeping are eyes open to a possible alternative, for reasons mentioned above.

Pros: The cheer amount of functionality is what I like most of Billy software. And even though they have been critiseded a lot, they kept going and improving the software. That must not have been easy. Yet, they persisted and kept development going.

Cons: Last September Billy mailed that they were looking for funding to the next set of major features. That I did not see coming and made me worrry. One could argue that by now Billy should make enough to selfsustain and develop furter. Mixed emotions.

• Reviewed on 2018/11/17
Jody smith ".
CELEBRITY SUPERTRAINER
Hospital & Health Care
  • Reviewed on 2018/05/14

"Truly easy accounting software to operate"

Comments: I can run my business basically by myself

Pros: I like because you can send recurring invoices and quotes and have your bank accounts in accounting all in one

Cons: Haven't really found anything that I like least about it but I am working to learn more about the app but it is easy to comprehend

• Reviewed on 2018/05/14