• Overall
    4,3 /5
    4,4 /5
    4,2 /5

About Box

Box is a modern content management platform that transforms how organizations work and collaborate to achieve results faster.

Learn more about Box

Showing 3 925 reviews

Michael W.
Publishing, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/02/27

"Can't imagine running our business without Box"

Comments: We used Dropbox for a number of years, and we found it very "fragile". Without good access to different levels of security for our team, we would often find files deleted or overwritten by inexperienced employees. Once, an employee using Dropbox's desktop app accidentally deleted our entire list of files and Dropbox had to restore (taking several days). That was the straw that broke the camel's back, so we switched to Box and haven't looked back. It's secure, solid, excellent uptime, and does everything we need and more. Our company stores mission-critical contracts, source files, and other material, and it's locked down only to the appropriate users. We have nearly 7 TB of files from our company's history stored with Box and I sleep great at night knowing they're safe and secure.

Pros: The access levels for intra-company sharing are very granular, allowing us the ability to protect privileged information,

Cons: It's hard to be critical of this tool. Some of the features we never use (notes, for example) seem a little clunky, but I understand they're improving. Those are all secondary, however. The main product itself is unbeatable.

• Reviewed on 2021/02/27
Translation & Localization, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2021/01/12

"Good Free Version but expensive Business options"

Comments: Storing documents in the cloud as a back-up solution, sharing documents with collaborators and clients.

Pros: Uploads and downloads are fast, sharing files or folders is easy, as an editor or viewer, and it is easy to use.

Cons: The Business options are expensive for small businesses since they require you to purchase multiple licenses, not only one. If you get the Individual license you are not GDPR compliant, thus it turns out to be expensive for SMEs.

• Reviewed on 2021/01/12
Dave T.
Research assistant
Higher Education, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/21

"Box is decent online the app for the computer is a nightmare."

Comments: It is good at why it does. Better apps would make it much better and possibly the best in my opinion.

Pros: We have unlimited box space at work. It’s great for that reason and we store all our research on box. It’s easy to organize and share and easily find past data.

Cons: The apps are not great. Windows version never uploads correctly for me. My boss with make updates and I don’t see them. It has caused a few issues. The Mac version crashes on me a lot. The app for iOS is ok though.

• Reviewed on 2020/10/21
Matt P.
Internet, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/02/09

"Way better than Dropbox"

Comments: It does the job. It's one of those tools that you kind of forget is there. Which is exactly how it should be

Pros: It's structured like the file systems we are all used to. Shockingly, this is not standard to all file sharing platforms

Cons: My only issue is with cloud file sharing in general - not just box. But being dependent upon internet is frustrating at times

• Reviewed on 2021/02/09
Kala B.
Teacher
Education Management, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/01/31

"I love this app"

Comments: It’s really good at syncing documents and making sure that documents are accessible to multiple devices.

Pros: I like how this app syncs all the documents I have saved from different devices into one central location.

Cons: I wish the app was available for download on the computer versus having to use the website to access documents.

• Reviewed on 2021/01/31
Jessi B.
Creative Director
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/11

"Solid Option for Online storage"

Comments: It has been great using box. I have had it for years and use it from time to time. I mostly upload to it and leave it there for backup.

Pros: The best part of BOX is that they have an unlimited plan. Most companies are doing away with the unlimitted plan which is a real bummer. Apart from that, they are like the other online storage systems. It works great and the UI is very intuitive.

Cons: The Free plan has a very small file size limit. As such, you cant upload just any file. That is a bummer.

• Reviewed on 2020/11/11
Reece S.
Web Developer
Computer Software, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2021/02/11

"Hello Old Friend"

Comments: Solid and consistent. They always do the job right and look great while doing it! If it wasn't for Google and Amazon, I believe they would be #1 in this market.

Pros: I used Box.com since the early days when it was in competition with DriveHQ. Even back then it always felt like a polished gem of a website, and I am please to say it hasn't gone downhill like so many others. It offers all the things you'd expect from a cloud storage platform and so much more.

Cons: This market is already taken by giants such as Google and Amazon, so I don't know if Box.com will be a viable long-term storage strategy.

• Reviewed on 2021/02/11
Todd J.
Principal Consultant
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/12

"Cloud file services that work like a real file share"

Comments: I helped roll out this solution to a small (25 users) business almost 3 years ago to replace their local file server. I started using it myself vs. DropBox because the Box Desktop was so perfectly Mac, and I've since rolled it out to three other small businesses as a replacement for local file services they can access anywhere. When COVID-19 hit, and said clients needed their workers to work from home, the workflow hardly missed a beat, thanks to the fact they can work anywhere just as if they had a local file share on their desktop.

Pros: The Box Desktop app actually works to keep files in the cloud until and unless I'm using them, saving precious disk space on users' systems — unlike an unnamed popular competitor. And on the Mac, it works just like an external disk or mounted file share — right on the desktop, in the proper file hierarchy with no proprietary interface to complicate things, or presume how I want to look at my files.

Cons: Tech support can be slow to respond, as its first tier of support is via their forum and email, and I've waited as long as two days to get a response to an issue for a corporate subscription, and it's painfully apparent that the first tier team is reading straight off of cue cards, because they suggest things to try, even when my previous communication states IN DETAIL that I've already done said thing in my own troubleshooting. Beef up the support staff, pay better attention to what a customer has already said in their communications, and escalate things to engineering quicker, and they will remedy the one, glaring shortcoming in their service.

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/12
Narasimhan (nari) S.
Chemical Engineer
Research, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/03

"Excellent enterprise class cloud storage and workflow integration software"

Comments: Mostly it is a very stable and secure cloud backup tool, great for workflow and content management in groups.

Pros: I used it and introduced it to my research group when I was in grad school few years back. We also ended up getting a larger size account to fit our needs. University purchasing handled the financial side of it, but I'd like to think our recommendations for enteprise scale buys were taken heed.
BoxSync when used in conjuction with a box account does a great job of doing automatic backups on the cloud, that also help in access from different computers/collaborators simple.
It can handle large file sizes (5 GB file upload limit) for most work, has excellent integration with word processing for online document editing. Note, I have not tried very large single file uploads yet, the largest has been a movie file of 750 MB.
Recently they added notes feature which is useful for commenting while sharing files.

Cons: I dont know if they ever had a referral program unlike dropbox. No other major drawbacks as a user. By default, it sends a lot of emails whenever anything is changed in the folders. turning off that feature took a while to figure out for me.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/03
Leonardo F.
UI/UX Designer
  • Reviewed on 2019/06/26

"Great for Content Marketing on Startups!"

Comments: When we started our business a few years ago, we did not have enough capital to spend on tools or rather we wanted to invest in more important equipment. That is when I got introduced to Box. Their product quality and security are as good as Dropbox. We never had a security breach or lost a file, and since we offer content marketing services, the number of files we upload and download monthly is too many.

Pros: The speed to download and upload every single file

Cons: It is not as good as Dropbox, but if you are starting your business and want to save a good amount of money it is an ideal choice.

• Reviewed on 2019/06/26
Joseric M.
Utilities, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/08/10

"Box for personal or office digital storage"

Comments: Box continues to amaze and survive given the steep competition out there. Its main selling point for us is the boost in confidence as regards its super security features and data loss prevention.

Pros: There are many things to love about Box. For one, its Business plans come with unlimited storage! We started out with Free just to try it, then moved to Starter then Business (as we needed more than 10 users on board). It's worth it esp for small to medium-sized businesses looking for a secure place for storage with tons of extra features for both admin and security. The 5GB upload is enough for the big multimedia and other iso/archive files we have. For our admin, the integration with our Active Directory saved us from having to require our users to create/maintain an extra account (user/password) for Box. We are also proud to announce to our team about its security features like SSL, encryption, and even two-factor authentication for the meticulous.
Although​ we haven't had the need for the DLP (Data Loss Prevention) that Box advertises, we are happy that this is part of our subscription and gives a little extra boost of confidence with our files.
The corporate logo can also be incorporated into the platform to make it personalized according to your company's branding scheme. Box also offers a ton of possible integrations. So far what we use are integrations with Google Suite (e.g., docs), Salesforce (CRM), and MS Office 365. This makes it easy for users​ to create content is our usual platforms and then easily save and manage them in Box.

Cons: We have quite a number of staff who already use other online storage platforms (Dropbox, Google Drive). Note that Non-Box users can only access files as Read-Only... in which case our people really had to be forced to create an account for edit purposes and collaboration.

• Reviewed on 2018/08/10
Anthony R.
Senior Analyst
Utilities, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/03/09

"Box- A Business Solution For Storing & Retrieving Important Documents"

Comments: Box has been a great solution in my workplace for storing and retrieving important business related documents. As a contract analyst, I would frequently use the software to download stored regulatory documents and check to see if there were recent changes to the terms in our existing contracts. Being an energy business we service both electric & gas customers in multiple different states. Because of Box, it was easy to check on the status of these contracts on both a commodity and state level. If all this information was on a stored system drive instead, we would be bogging down the system because of all the storage usage. Since Box stores these documents on their secured server, it alleviates the need to use precious resources that can be utilized elsewhere by providing you with the additional storage space. Overall, I am very happy with Box and have no complaints about the software as it fully met my needs whenever I had to use it.

Pros: Box offers a centralized hub that allows users to effectively and efficiently sort through important documents for your organization. The ability to create separate folders makes it easy to organize documents on a departmental or functional basis. Sub-folders can also be created to further sort documents into the existing folder. Downloading a stored document is simple and seamless, allowing users across the organization to have quick and easy access to important files. Uploading a new file is just as simple, and only involves browsing through your files to attach it and adding a few descriptors. The software is password locked, meaning it is a secure option for those looking to protect sensitive business information. There are also features that indicate the version history of a document, so you can make others aware of important changes if a document needs to be edited or updated. Additionally, there are permissions which will allow you to customize who can view and access certain documents.

Cons: The only complaint I have about the software would be that I wasn't able to view previous versions of updated documents. Sometimes I would need to compare previous versions of contracts and I'd find these missing when the document was updated. However, I'm unsure if this was due to the software itself or a configuration set by someone else inside my organization.

• Reviewed on 2020/03/09
Arpit T.
Telecommunications, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/09/16

"Ideal Product for Storing and Sharing Large files in Organizations"

Comments: Great product to be used in a large organization - We are Storing large sized files very quickly and sharing them, so Box does the deal in most efficient manner.
Storing daily, weekly, monthly reports and auto version control manages all the files.
Auto posting reports every day to a definite location.

Pros: Easy to Use
Very fast speeds for file uploads
Every storage directory gets its unique email address, so use can use automated softwares to store files, reports etc on Box
Efficient sharing allows to effectively share files in a secured manner between teams and companies
Single Sign On supported for organization which promotes highest security
API access

Cons: Little pricey as compared to alternatives in the market.
Shareable link is there, but not as easy and seamless integration with emails like how Google drive does it.
Good for professional use , not recommended for personal data storage.
Searching for files using API is tedious and does not always work.

• Reviewed on 2020/09/16
Verna B.
Hardware Engineer
Staffing & Recruiting, 5 001-10 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/13

"Box offers the most professional cloud content storage services."

Comments: I have rated it 9 on a scale of 10 because it has efficient working ways and high-end security features for long term backup of our files and data. We have choose this tool because it is quite easy to access and implement in the whole organization. We have really improved our working while using this tool because it allows us to save time and money while we can extract most of the benefits from this tool in a reliable way.

Pros: The most beneficial thing about the Box software is that Box has enabled us with easy sharing of files and data which in return have saved us precious time for other activities and we have gained utmost benefit from it in organizing our employees and professionals content. Box has secured all of work and we can easily retrieve our files in the most efficient ways. It also includes some highly efficient tools which and we gained allow us to organize and sort the data in the most easy way.

Cons: But in accordance to our business objectives, it does not fit 100% well cause there are some requirements that has to be fulfilled via other tool to keep us working. So it also needs some improvements from its own end. It also needs to improve its way of organizing the data. We are mostly confused in retrieving the files and folders while looking for specific contents. Box has limited storage capacity for new users. And its additional storage could be bought for high prices which are reluctantly rated at very high price.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/13
Project Engineer
Construction, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/07/16

"Box in Easy to Use Efficient File Storage Software"

Pros: Box is used by everybody in the company for a very easy to use file storage system. The company is 100+ employees in the construction industry. We store each project in its own specific folder with everything related in this. This makes my life easier by being able to pull up blueprints or files from any device I am on. I work out of 4 different locations and so local storage would not be possible for this. Box is easily integrated onto your desktop for localized access on the computer. Anytime you make a change from your computer it will update the files in the cloud. We have over 20 people that access the files for the project and we are able to assign roles to anybody accessing the files. Some might be only able to open the files and other we can allow editing of the documents. Share large files is as simple as right-clicking and copying a link for the file location. You do not need to go through the web portal in order to share folders or documents. Box is probably one of the best enterprise level cloud storage solutions for a business.

Cons: I wish to allow the administrator to have a log of changes and able to temporarily access deleted files. I sometimes have people make mistakes or changes and it would be useful to see who moved a file or deleted a file. However, it does show you the last user to save a file just not a log of deleted documents. I have also had a worker delete important documents that we were not able to retrieve on an administrator level.

• Reviewed on 2018/07/16
Saransh S.
Software Engineer
Financial Services, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/07/27

"Box, not Dropbox, for company's cloud storage"

Comments: We are pleased with the product itself and never had second thoughts about other options. The API help us integrate it with web applications. The webhooks help with real-time updates.

Pros: We get unlimited storage as part of the agreement and it has become a go-to software solution for any of our storage needs. Without any reservations, we use Box for any file storage and we don't have to worry about the size limitations anymore. That is one thing that we never have to worry about. Ever.

Cons: Their webhook integration, although good, is not very beginner-friendly. The only consistent way to use or access webhooks is via the command line. The GUI interface is almost useless.

• Reviewed on 2020/07/27
IT Manager / Web Development Manager
Oil & Energy, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/09

"Does the job well."

Comments: Overall it was a good experience but we ended up cancelling our subscription because of the issue above and are already paying for GSuite which included Unlimited Google Drive Storage and similar capabilities.

Pros: Box is easy to deploy, configure and the user adoptions are easy. Because the software uses the same file structure as Windows and has the Windows Application to make adoption even easier.

Cons: We encountered an issue with the permissions levels where users were able to create and add files to folders in box, but were not able to create the folder. Instead the user had to create the folder outside of box, then drag and drop it in. It didn't make sense when the user had sufficient Read/Write permissions.

• Reviewed on 2019/09/09
John G.
Firm Operations
Venture Capital & Private Equity, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/01/25

"Ideal platform for project management and secure file administration"

Comments: Customers are satisfied when we recommend this program for their task management tools, we are using it to optimize project performance. We have everything organized thanks to Box, we work under the same line of strategy where everyone can manipulate the same project. The great service it offers is reflected in our results. I totally recommend it. Box meets all the minimum requirements of functionality to achieve progress in project management. It is functional, fun, and the team feels comfortable. The price is very important. It works very well and with an excellent quality interface.

Pros: The ease of use of this program is extremely good. I can share the same project with several people, I am aligned with my teammates under the same idea. It is important to organize the daily tasks, the space is unlimited for the files. The price is excellent, the quality is high despite a low price. Updates are carried out constantly, determining the commitment to improvement.

Cons: I find it a bit difficult to understand the personal configuration, the tools are a bit messy to be able to customize the functionalities. However, the program has many positive qualities.

• Reviewed on 2021/01/25
Brett S.
Media Production, Self Employed
  • Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 2018/03/13

"Reliable collaboration in the Cloud"

Comments: I'm a fan! So the pros outweigh the cons, and Box seems to always be active working toward improving their product. I've implemented Box Business/Enterprise for three companies, and users definitely benefited from the collaborative system, even when using only the base features.

Pros: The Box platform works, and does what it says it will do. Live online training is especially helpful for bringing on new users, and there are numerous pre-recorded tutorials and white papers. No excuses for users to not understand how the platform works. System is flexible for businesses needing to meet international security, medical compliance, etc.

Cons: Navigating all admin options can be a little daunting. The default settings are probably 'right' for Enterprise users, but for a small business I had to invest a little time with tech support to get the settings right so that my users couldn't make changes that affected the monthly cost. The Box business (from their sales, support, features) are strongly designed for large customers, not for a freelancer working with clients (examples: minimum 3 users, automated 'Relay' workflows Enterprise only.)

• Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 2018/03/13
Mandi C.
Managing Attorney
Law Practice, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/03/26

"I LOVE Box!"

Comments: I switched from DropBox professional to Box a little over a year ago. I am completely in love with it. It is easy to use and, as I understand it, more secure than DropBox. Folders are easy to share and manage, versions are tracked automatically, and it allows for my business name and logo to appear when logging in.

Pros: I really love everything about this product. My favorite feature is that it keeps track of versions automatically. It tells you when something was edited and by who, and allows you to go back to previous versions.

Cons: Sometimes I have trouble syncing it with my PC file structure but I have been able to resolve it any time it was a problem.

• Reviewed on 2020/03/26
Nick F.
Director of Finance
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/05/28

"Box is excellent"

Comments: Box has been great for our admin team to manage and share files. It has made sharing confidential documents significantly easier.

Pros: Box drive makes the cloud feel native to windows explorer. After setting up box drive I can navigate files the same way I always have, it is barely noticeable that I am using a cloud database instead of my local storage. It is easy to reach all of my files through the browser on any device, as well as the IOS app.

Cons: The sharing can be a bit confusing and some shared files need to be manually synced to appear in the box drive on my computer. The price is a bit high.

• Reviewed on 2019/05/28
Senior Research Analyst
Hospital & Health Care, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/31

"Box user at work"

Comments: Overall, I like Box and it allows me to centrally store and update documents. Despite my frustrations listed above, I believe that the pros definitely outweigh the cons and it continues to provide a significant business value proposition.

Pros: I like that Box's value proposition as a central storage place works well with colleagues who are located near and far. I like that Box allows users to update documents outside of Box, but have those updates appear within the software. The last thing I really like is that Box allows me to drag and drop files into Box from my computer.

Cons: Three things always frustrate me with Box. The first is that Box does not allow multiple users to update documents simultaneously. When this is happening, users are not alerted to the fact that multiple users are in the same document. Second is that Box sync seldom works and, to set it up, is generally confusing. Third thing is that, though Box allows for dragging and dropping files into Box, you can't drag and drop those files from Box into other folders.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/31
George W.
Online Learning Manager
Professional Training & Coaching, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/29

"very good, but only if you pay."

Comments: I only occupied a few months ago box and the experience has been very pleasant. Before I used dropbox and I liked it a lot, but box I find it more neat, more formal and I like that. The functions and the operation in general is quite similar in the basics, I upload files, I share the files, I can create different sessions so that more people can access a certain folder, and other functions.
So until now I have been able to work very well with BOX and the whole process has been very simple.

Pros: 1.- There are a variety of options to choose from according to your needs. You can choose a personal account or a company account.
2.- Within the personal account you have the possibility to create a free account. This account has 10GB of space in the cloud, which is enough space to store thousands of documents, songs, photos and much more.
3.- the prices of the different accounts are quite good and they are within the market price.
4.- The work environment is simple and neat, which gives the impression of being very neat and clean.
5.- You can share your files easily through the link generated by box. You can also configure if this link will be for public or private use.
6.- The speed of upload and download of larger files (over 50mb) is quite fast, although it also depends on the connection you use.

Cons: 1. - Like other similar programs, conflicts are created in the files if two or more people try to use the same file at the same time.
2.- there is an important difference between the gartis account and the payment account, since the paid accounts can transfer and unload large files (up to 5GB in the most expensive version, and 2GB in the cheapest), while in the free version is an important limitation, where you can only manipulate files up to 250mb.

• Reviewed on 2018/11/29
Graeme S.
Entertainment, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/08

"Box It Up!"

Comments: My experience has been very good. Box makes it easy access my files and documents wherever I am; a true on-demand application that's there when you need it.

Pros: Box is a very good cloud-based document storage application. It allows easy customization for file structures and has an excellent phone app, which gives it greater utility.

Cons: I have had limited success attempting text-searches in Box. This is a true limitation when you have thousands of files.

• Reviewed on 2020/10/08