STACK Reviews

by Stack Construction Technologies

• Overall

About STACK

Bid & Win More Profitable Work in Less Time with STACK! Cloud-based, Free Support/Training. Create Your Free Account Today!

Learn more about STACK

Showing 1 069 reviews

Milan S.
Dry wall
  • Reviewed on 2021/07/20

"Greedy and not appreciative people"

Comments: Stay away they will lure you in with free trial low cost, credits, discount and than they will show their real face. This people are heartless and criminal.

Pros: Nothing good about them. Find alternative. There is plenty good softwares around.

Cons: We supported Stack for seven years and helped them grow. This year in return they decided to put up the cost. From $999Usd they want $1999usd per year for one user. We are based in Australia and when you convert the currency we have to pay fortune for simple take off software. This is criminal and they should be ashamed of themselves.

• Reviewed on 2021/07/20
Chris L.
Structural Project Manager
Construction, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/03

"Stack"

Pros: The functions and takeoff procedures has really helped speed up my takeoff process.

Cons: The web based software sometimes leads to lags/glitches when zooming in and out. If you zoom in and do your take off then zoom out to continue your takeoff it does not start your take off right away, and you have to click twice to initiate the new takeoff.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/03
Jason H.
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/21

"Low learning curve"

Comments: We've handles jobs from a few thousand to millions and the PMs love our cost break outs

Pros: Stack allowed us to quickly make the switch from more costly and out of date software. It's platform independence means we can access our files from the field anytime. The low learning curve means I can have assistants up and running in a day or two.

Cons: Dependence on Microsoft Excel for reports

• Reviewed on 2019/11/21
Nick M.
LBM Sales Manager
Building Materials, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/20

"Easy to use"

Comments: Stack helps us create accurate takeoffs in shorter time frames by allowing us to measure and count faster and more accurately. Since we now only have the basic we still do a lot of hand calculating, however, the measuring portion is done is a much faster more accurate time than could be done by hand.

Pros: My team loves how easy the program is to use and track projects. The measuring and estimating capabilities of this program are fantastic.

Cons: I am displeased with the fact that several years ago we subscribed when the software was in its infancy and the rates seem to continue to take drastic jumps each time we are due for renewal. Additional, we spent countless hours a few years back to put in all the formulas for the assemblies program and after spending all the time to create them, when it was time for renewal if we wanted to keep access to all of "our" formulas we had to pay an additional fee to keep the work we created.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/20
Andy D.
Estimator/Project Manager
  • Reviewed on 2017/06/27

"Easy to use. Great Product!"

Pros: Stack is a great product for doing takeoffs efficiently and at a great price. The features that come with it are great, and they are constantly adding new ones.
I love the fact that you get immediate attention from the developers whenever you have a question or comment. The only thing better than their product it the customer service!

Cons: It can be a little buggy when using different browsers. If I remember correctly , I was using Firefox and had problems, they told me to switch to Chrome, and when I started getting comfortable with Chrome I started having issues and they told me to switch to Firefox! I currently use Chrome, and there can occasionally be a little bug here or there (ex. trying to select one of my items to edit - hint: use the multiselect!).

by Stack Construction Technologies on 2017/06/27

Hi Andy,
We are so glad to hear that you are thrilled with the impact our software is having on your business! We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team.

Be sure to contact us if there is anything you need in the future. We are here for you!

Wishing you much continued success!

• Reviewed on 2017/06/27
Christine C.
  • Reviewed on 2017/06/05

"Incredible time saver"

Comments: Time saved, enhanced communication with clients, and visual PDF output to ensure accuracy.

Pros: It is so easy to use and makes visualizing our take offs 10000% easier. We can designate different colors for different materials and export to confirm install areas with our clients. Customer service is always very quick and attentive to any questions or issues and the updates have continued to vastly improve over the time we have used the software. This has changed how our business operates at every level!

Cons: In future updates, it would be nice to be able to paint over certain take off areas with patterns to demonstrate what will be installed (wood, tile, etc). This is in no way necessary, but would add tremendous value to how we communicate with our clients.

by Stack Construction Technologies on 2017/06/06

Hi Christine,
Thanks so much for your recent feedback!
We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of The Wood Floor Company and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process.

We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team. Have an awesome day & thank you again!

• Reviewed on 2017/06/05
Austin M.
Director of Multi-Family
Construction, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/05/23

"Good overall function, need to work on glitches and bugs."

Pros: Ease of use and training. One of the easiest estimating software I've used. Makes estimating projects smooth and simple. The copy/Paste function is very helpful, as well as the tag function.

Cons: I come across bugs almost daily. Whether it's the copy/paste function not working properly, or the tag function glitching. There's rarely a day that goes by where I do not notice a bug.

Hi Austin,
Thanks so much for your recent feedback!
We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Garland Insulating and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process.

Andy D.
Glass, Ceramics & Concrete, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/10/23

"Best bang for the buck"

Pros: We've been using Stack for years, and don't look to change any time in the future. They are constantly upgrading their software and introducing new features.
Their customer service is top notch. Any time I have ever had a question, they respond IMMEDIATELY!
I also like the fact that you can suggest new features and they actually listen.

Cons: Not really anything to mention here. The only "con" I can think of is there is occasionally a bug, but it isn't anything that isn't easily worked around. I don't really consider this a con though, as it means they are constantly upgrading their stuff!

• Reviewed on 2018/10/23
Nicholas P.
president
  • Reviewed on 2017/02/01

"Cloud based + onscreen takeoff = great product"

Comments: I've use stack for about 18months, it continues to improve. The overall interface is streamline and easy to understand (i.e. learn quickly). It is smooth even when manipulating large files. Auto page naming is hit or miss, when it works it is great when it doesn't no biggie, manually naming is easy enough. Export of marked up sheets is especially nice to include with proposal scopes, simple to show a customer "if it is marked I have it" which is especially nice on remodels. Really, I can't say enough good things.
If I could change anything it would be an option to update sheets with revisions but not loose the initial take offs (though this may be something that can be done and I haven't learned how to do it yet).

Pros: 1- cloud based - I can pick it up from any computer and work on projects
2- ease of interface/smooth manipulation of large drawing files
3- measurement tools are very accurate and easy to manipulate

Cons: 1- auto page naming inconsistencies
2- custom sorting of pages is difficult

by Stack Construction Technologies on 2017/02/03

Hi Nicholas,

Thanks so much for your recent feedback!
We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Poelking Carpentry Group and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process.

• Reviewed on 2017/02/01
Brett W.
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/05

"Great Software and Easy to use!"

Pros: The best thing about this software is the ease of use and the customization of takeoffs you can do. Other takeoff programs don't allow you to just take off the simple items like this does. Others require input of things like labor rates and SF per hour parameters. Love the easiness of this program and the simple features it has.

Cons: The only thing that comes to mind with a software like this is computer glitches. If you run on a slow connection and or poor connection your takeoff can be interrupted and not computed correctly. Has happened to me on a handful of instances.

• Reviewed on 2018/06/05
Eric W.
  • Reviewed on 2019/05/01

"Take Offs for the Landscaping Industry"

Comments: Stack amplifies our efficiencies in getting take offs and bids done. Being able to work online so my remote teams can collaborate is very helpful.

Pros: I like the ease of use and the ability to create a library of take offs that are commonly done. We have take offs set for sodding, mulch and everything else we commonly bid.

Cons: One thing I would like to see is an easier interface to create phases. Often times our bids are broken out in to different areas or phases that use the same measured items. It would be good to easily have several phases that use the same measurements.

• Reviewed on 2019/05/01
Jean-philippe L.
  • Reviewed on 2017/05/23

"This software really makes your estimating make sens... time wise. It cuts estimating time by 75% ."

Comments: My estimating time is reduced by 75% which allows me to focus on management more

Pros: Once you have all your partitions, assemblies and materials combinations set up, estimating time is easily reduced by 75-80%

Cons: The time that it takes to setup all the elements to works properly is really a bummer. Not that it would be easier with any other software, but I would've like to have the possibility to download the most commonly partition assemblies as an example.

by Stack Construction Technologies on 2017/05/23

Hi Jean-Philippe,
Thanks so much for your recent feedback!
We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Langlois Master Design and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process.

Steve M.
  • Reviewed on 2018/02/06

"Easy setup, quick learning curve with budget options to fit small to large companies"

Comments: Rapid accurate estimates

Pros: Easy to use product that we had running in less than half an hour. Great tutorial videos for all construction trades. Compatible with most files types. Allows mark up and sharing of pages to coordinate RFI's instantly from application.

Cons: Sorting of pages can be cumbersome with large projects. Would like to see it compatible with more bidding sites for direct uploads. An aerial measuring subscription similar to eagle view images would be great to add to allow a single source for all takeoffs.

• Reviewed on 2018/02/06
Alex S.
Lead Estimator

"Works great"

Comments: more accurate take-offs

Pros: Easy to use, great support, customizable to respected trade, good value for $$, easy of use also helps in new training

Cons: Once in a while it has a had time saving measurements, have to double check every line to make sure it is saving values.

Hi Alex,

Ashley S.
  • Reviewed on 2018/05/29

"Excellent product for the price!"

Comments: We have loved using STACK! It is great that a lot of companies are offering Stack as one of their preferred measurement links and the plans pull up without any work!

Pros: -New pricing structure allows me to pay for basic features instead of the whole program
-Easy to learn
-Customer support is always available and great to help!
-Consistently working with customers to improve product
-Access anywhere

Cons: -Only 1 user at a time (it would be nice to be able to look at plans at the same time as someone else - instead it logs 1 person out)
-Small basic functionality issues (but customer support always makes notes of changes needed)
-Basic edit functions are not as available as I would hope

Marek G.
  • Reviewed on 2017/05/23

"STACK Estimating is the best thing that has happened to me and it make my life so much easier !!!"

Comments: Saved hours of my time on estimating and not to mention we are not worried there was mistakes done while calculating since the Stack does it all for you.

Pros: I really like the accuracy and how fast I can perform my estimates with no errors, it is just unbelievable. I love this Software !!

Cons: I can't see the reports on my iPhone anymore that used to be available but not anymore. It was very convenient to check my reports when I was on the go.

Hi Marek,

Wishing you much continued success!

Ron C.
Project Manager/Estimator
Construction, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/10/30

"Stack Estimating Tool"

Comments: All in all, the program is very helpful, and is evolving all the time. If you looking for a reasonably priced take off solution this would be it.

Pros: The program is easy to use for doing material take offs, and stripping down a project, it is reasonably priced for what the program does and there is training available for the users that need that little extra help.

Cons: I would say the cons would be, the time it takes to go through and add your item costs, even though adding the item costs are simple, it can be a time consuming process, as well as building custom items. However, building a custom item is not as difficult as building a custom assembly can be.

• Reviewed on 2018/10/30
Lane J.
Estimator/Project Manager
  • Reviewed on 2019/01/25

"Stack takeoff is all it's cracked up to be with great customer support and easy use."

Comments: The customer support I have received has been great. Real people with real troubleshooting senses and concern for how their product is behaving.

Pros: Stack is online and can be used anywhere and with it's most recent update it has no problems keeping up with me as I zip through a takeoff. Every takeoff can be customized with many different count and measurement options allowing me to get as detailed as I want.

Cons: One thing I do not like about Stack Takeoff is that I cannot enter multiple takeoffs at once. For example, when I am doing fixture counts it is nice to enter all of your fixtures first before you start, Stack does not yet allow for this.

• Reviewed on 2019/01/25
Pete L.
Project Manager, Estimator, Managing Partner
  • Reviewed on 2017/01/20

"Skyview Roofing Co., LLC , McAllen,TX Stack Estimating Review"

Comments: I was introduced to the software in my early days starting estimating as the software was "Cloud Takeoff". It too, was in its early stages of development. right off the back the software was very user friendly and allowed me to really sharpen my skill level, while adding new features as i progressed. now the software has hit a level of expertise where a senior estimator can really break work down, itemized within one system. I am still going as an estimator and am proud to share the growth experience with "Stack Estimating" !

Pros: User friendly

Cons: Lag on generating images or uploading plans. minimal

• Reviewed on 2017/01/20
Jeff W.
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/25

"A few shortcomings, but overall very good."

Comments: Being able to do my take-off & have it go straight into an estimate saves me time and makes for better accuracy.

Pros: It's relatively easy to use. With just a few minutes instruction from a co-worker I have been able to learn it pretty quickly.

Cons: It has glitches fairly often.
It would be great to be able to print a portion of a drawing, like a Room Finish Schedule. As it stands now, we can only print full sheets.
It would be nice if there were a arc or circle tool to draw smooth arcs. I've used PlanSwift for many years and their arc tool is great, you all should check it out.

Sharun K.
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/25

"Easy To Use & Use Anywhere"

Comments: I'm very pleased with STACK, and I definitely recommend for anyone looking to do online takeoffs and generate reports with STACK on any computer anywhere you go (with internet, of course!)

Pros: It's all online including takeoff reports, updates by itself, and I can use this online tool anywhere with a computer.

Cons: Sometimes the website can be lagging a small bit, but it isn't enough for me to notice it. One notable thing is that you can't clear the custom scaling selection after you make it, so selecting the scale has a tons of options.

Allen W.
Estimating Manager
  • Reviewed on 2017/01/24

"Not too bad but limited"

Comments: I like this program a lot, but it is proving to be more and more limited for more difficult projects. We are a commercial flooring contractor and we do a lot of custom work, we have asked for many improvements for over a year now that still have not been incorporated.
* The first is to be able to delete multiple files when a bid pack comes in with a full set of plans which clogs up our process but takes way too long to delete the files one-by-one.
* Another is to be able to do a circular takeoff and circular cutout.
* Another is to be able to edit or change multiple sections of one area of a takeoff. We have a lot of changes on custom built projects and it is very annoying to have to delete an entire room or area because of one wall or area changing.
As I stated, this is a very god program for beginners or someone that doesn't require more advanced custom work. The issue is that Stack works for about 65-70% of our work but these are the smaller jobs, not the larger more complicated ones.

Pros: User-friendly right off the bat.

Cons: Very limited for more advanced/custom projects.

by Stack Construction Technologies on 2017/01/24

Hi Allen,

Thanks so much for your recent feedback!
We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Rimrock Design and happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process.

The details you've provided will certainly be shared with our team. Customer input is essential in our development process and we appreciate your candid thoughts!

Have an awesome day & thank you again!

• Reviewed on 2017/01/24
Robert J.
Sec/Treas-CFO
  • Reviewed on 2018/08/18

"Take Off Software Made for Professionals."

Pros: I like having the ability to work from any terminal anywhere. My digitizer board sits collecting dust. I often turn down getting paper plans and simply ask for digital ones.

Cons: I wish that the product had the ability to perform cut and fill calculations for site grading. This is really the only thing that needs to be added.

• Reviewed on 2018/08/18
Garrett B.
  • Reviewed on 2018/08/17

"Easy to use for most takeoff work"

Comments: Would be nice to have a second account for the base price, or at least at a discounted price.

Pros: Easy to use, accommodates most of our take off work, except for earthwork volumes. Reports are great and easy to read.

Cons: Borderline pricey for what the product brings to the table. Often times accessing older project can take some time.

• Reviewed on 2018/08/17
Chuck P.
estimator
  • Reviewed on 2018/05/29

"Good product, works great for roofing."

Comments: The product has continued to get better over the period I've used it.

Pros: Each takeoff can be personalized. It's easy to use and layout. The price beats all other options out there.

Cons: I wish I could takeoff and get cut sheets for metal roofing. Still quirky error where certain sheets will get out of order.