Blackboard LMS for Business Reviews

• Overall
    3,7 /5
    3,8 /5

About Blackboard LMS for Business

Through our innovative technology and services, Blackboard for Business helps organizations turn learning into a strategic advantage.

Learn more about Blackboard LMS for Business

Professor of Science
Higher Education, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/07

"A decent LMS, but there are better ones out there that have less workability issues"

Comments: I have used both Blackboard and Moodle in the past, and I found them very similar for what they offered. I would have been fine using Blackboard indefinitely had I not found out about Canvas, which is what we are using now and I am absolutely it's biggest fan!

Pros: I used Blackboard for almost 10 years, and it was a decent LMS for my needs. When Blackboard Collaborate came out, it was even better because it added a new layer of possibilities (I could have several webinar/conversations going, merge conversations, and/or present to different groups at one time). However, there were always bugs in the system, even though we updated constantly. The Blackboard app was also very limited.

Cons: Too many bugs and freezes; many of my students had issues with accessing links when they used different internet browsers. Good for a small school or business, but not larger ones.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/07
John C.
Professor
Higher Education, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2016/03/23

"a Long Term User's Honest Experience"

Comments: Quick background, was in high tech sales and marketing for many years prior to teaching and heavily involved with custom Computer Graphics systems since Time Arts Lumena was around (predecessor to Photoshop). Check out my LinkedIn profile for more details. On to the product review -- I've been using Blackboard for *many* years, and have been teaching (and doing) Web Design and Development since 1993. I'm retiring shortly, so I can be absolutely frank and honest about my experience with this app without fear of upsetting IT folks or admins that I would have to work with in the future. Truthfully, the ONLY reason I use this app is because I have no alternative at the College where I teach and it gives the students easy access to information, but so would any LMS (Learning Management System). The UIX (User Interface Experience) is incredibly archaic and counter-intuitive. It's also painfully slow to use, as it does constant server requests (just paste the URL for a Blackboard connection into http://www.webpagetest.org/ for testing). Sometimes one single click every 15 seconds is all the system will react to when I'm using the grade book, etc. -- in the "real" world, without captive users, no one would ever return to a site with those response times. To be fair to Blackboard, part of that may (or may not) be our schools network or Blackboard interface setup. As far as usability, Blackboard needs to let the User Interface and UIX designers (if they even had any) direct the techs and coders. It's *very* obvious that it's been the reverse, . They should 'steal' some Apple UIX people and give them some *real* power to direct how the app works and what it looks like. I've just finished using Blackboard for 3 hours+ doing things that should have taken 1 hour or less had the interface been optimized and more thought out. For example, under the 'Assignments' and 'Course Documents' sections there is no easy way to reorder or batch select using something basic like check boxes or a multi-select hot keys. Also, any NEW assignment or document post goes to the BOTTOM (the absolute reverse of a Blog post) So I need to drag it back to the top (where it logically should go). However, even that is awkward, since when I drag to the top of the browser the window does not auto-scroll. I have to hold the left mouse button at the same time as I use my middle finger to roll the mouse wheel -- duh!!. There IS a small text window pop-up accessed via an archaic icon to reorder posts, however, that shows only 5 assignment titles at a time (no window resize function to show more than 5). I can reorder them there, but need to do a single mouse click each time it moves up one position, but again, with no way to see more than 5 and no way to multi-select. So, if I have 50 course documents and want to shift 5 new documents to the top (where they belong) that's almost 250 mouse clicks to re-position 5 documents to where they should be in the first place - duh!! In Gradebook it only shows 10 students listed by default. I can change the setting up to 50 but the next time I go back it's back or need to refresh something -- it's back to 10. It doesn't save defaults or give me a choice. This may seem to be nit-picking, but over the period of a 14 week semester that's a lot of wasted time time and clicks. I'm going to end my review here as I have more work to do, but when I saw a 4 star review for this LMS being the solo review I had to balance it out. Bottom line is, the concept is good -- many, many modules/tools in a LMS bundled package but the execution is absolutely awful. Just Google search 'Blackboard sucks' or 'I hate Blackboard' if you want real faculty and user opinions sans any marketing spin. Other telltale signs are when a company start to lose long-term clients. Ryerson University in Toronto just did a switch from Blackboard after "a multi-year consultation process". More on that process is here http://lms.blog.ryerson.ca/ Hopefully that last paragraph doesn't get censored, because that's the source of raw truth.

Pros: 1. it's an LMS and something is better than nothing.
2. It's full of examples I can show my students on how not to do UI and UIX
3. Well established company is behind it
4. Modular front-end
5. Many bells and whistles

Cons: 1. Counter intuitive, clunky, awkard UI (User Interface) - improve it by hiring UI/UIX experts and giving them actual control over the app interface and functions.
2. Slow (even when on the same network node or high speed cable connection) - needs a code rewrite/optimization.
3. Ancient aesthetics (although some design elements are now "flat design-ish") - hire UI and UIX designers and actually allow them to direct the final interface.
4. Many glitches (I've a folder full of screen-shots, if you want proof) - again a code rewrite needed, or ideally a complete start-over with newer code philosophies and methods.

• Reviewed on 2016/03/23
Landon C.
Server
Food & Beverages, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/04/26

"Blackboard analytics"

Comments: I have used Blackboard for over two years and I love everything about it, I really like the reminders for my work.

Pros: I love how easy it is to use blackboard in my everyday life. This software has helped my stay on top of my assignments and work.

Cons: I don't like when blackboard goes under maintenance, because sometimes it can be difficult to get any assignments done or my work done with the website is down.

• Reviewed on 2020/04/26
Germaine K.
Program Assistant
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/17

"Learning on BB"

Comments: Overall, Blackboard Learn is a pretty good experience. Students are able to access many things.

Pros: I liked how this software is very easy for students. Instructors can give assignments, show grades, and upload attachments. Changes are instantaneously.

Cons: I don't like how Blackboard constant go through changes and is often down or having technical issues that'll need to be passed onto customer service.

• Reviewed on 2020/12/17
Rahul R.
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Education Management, 5 001-10 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/09/29

"Blackboard Review"

Comments: Good educational software with some great features but the server crashes are annoying.

Pros: Blackboard is easy to use,exams are easy to deploy,announcements are very good and even the bullet-in board is a very handy feature.

Cons: The server crashes very often and this can be very annoying because if we are in the middle of something,the progress doesn't get saved automatically.

• Reviewed on 2020/09/29
Student Advisor Assistant intern
E-Learning, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/30

"Blackboard Review"

Comments: my overall experience with blackboard learning was very positive allowed for affective communication and learning among students and professors all around the country.

Pros: what I liked most about the software was that it was user-friendly and allowed me to correspond with students and professors efficiently to address issues/concerns.

Cons: what I like least about blackboard was that it did at sometimes have IT issues in which they did incorporate their own that would be able to handle any problems that we encountered.

• Reviewed on 2020/11/30
Paralegal
Law Practice, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/19

"Makes my Online classes SO Much easier"

Comments: Overall I love it. It helps me to focus on my school work and know when I have assignments due. It notifies me when new material is uploaded. ANYTHING that makes my life easier is a A++ in my book!

Pros: Blackboard has been AMAZING for organizing my online classes. I take 4 online classes a semester and I would be a mess if I didn't have blackboard reminding me of what needs done and making it super easy. Its very easy to upload my assignments and see whats due when it's due. Everything about it is SUPER easy and organized so I can focus all my energy on my school work.

Cons: I still can't figure out how to export my due dates to my calendar. I'm not sure if you even can, but I can't find any support on it. I don't like how I can't change the names of my courses and Ive had 3 courses that I dont take anymore still showing up and can't get them to disappear.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/19
Kenatu B.
Senior Programmer Analyst
Primary/Secondary Education, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2018/12/16

"Hammer To Swat a Fly"

Comments: Blackboard is a classic case of good product upgrading too much until you lose what made it great. It has a lot of value added features, so much so that you can no longer find the simple things. They should also focus on getting the bugs out of what is really needed and not focus so much on adding more. Keep it simple, stupid KISS. over all a pretty decent LMS but there are better for less.

Pros: Feature Rich - lots of value added functionality
Love that there are break out rooms for each session
Clickable rubrics - awesome
Cons 345/100 characters minimum

Cons: Grading system is too granular. if you use this it makes it too easy for a few bad assignments to tank students grades and gives the instructor more work.
What do you have against independent content. I create videos using Camtasia and Movavi, but its often a fight get them placed where I'd like or even to get them to run in the first place.

• Reviewed on 2018/12/16
Academic Technology Helpdesk
Higher Education, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/14

"Blackboard for Business works great!"

Pros: I enjoyed the navigation features that made it easy to use Blackboard LMS. Some new software my company has implemented has been very difficult to navigate and understand, but this was not.

Cons: We experienced some browser issues with Blackboard. Many could not access certain features using Internet Explorer, which we understand now is outdated. Google Chrome seemed to be the best browser to use and has work pretty good ever since.

• Reviewed on 2018/11/14
Andy R.
Director of Marketing
  • Reviewed on 2016/12/14

"A Tugboat Amongst Speedboats"

Comments: The Blackboard Learning Management System (LMS) for Business has the pedigree of a well-established education company behind it but, much like its Education-based software, lacks many of the bells and whistles of its competitors. Unlike its competitors, it lacks a modern interface and is largely unintuitive, if not overly complex to use. While it lacks in overall usability, it does has a number of useful tools, as well as a number of third-party extensions developed through strategic partnerships. Another strength is interoperability, making it easy to integrate with CRM management tools such as Salesforce. There are a number of other providers out there, including some that are free, that may meet the needs of those looking for entry level, non-enterprise software. I'd recommend dipping your toes in the water with one of them prior to making an investment in Blackboard to see if they better meet your needs. With a somewhat hefty price tag, it may be better than making the long term investment!

Pros: Interoperability, software extensions, and ability to build and scale coursework.

Cons: The software is somewhat unintuitive, with a cumbersome and clunky interface. The user interface and user experience is in dire need of a facelift.

• Reviewed on 2016/12/14
Amy D.
Student
Primary/Secondary Education, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2018/12/12

"Not a top-notch product"

Comments: The platform is complex for teachers to use, and is not entirely user friendly for students either.

Pros: my professors can put my grades up on it so I can track them myself without bothering the professors.

Cons: Figuring out what my grade is or was and trying to access the content I have submitted has become more difficult in the last year. If I take a quiz I must take specific steps to see the results so that I can study from it for the test.

• Reviewed on 2018/12/12
Diane R.
Construction, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/12/04

"Future of Communication"

Pros: I love that the professors and students can stay in communication on one site. Projects and expectations are very clear, all documents needed were available at all times, and this made college more enjoyable feeling so connected to the staff.

Cons: Maybe a better updated app for my phone would've been nice. Also text alerts would have been much appreciated.

• Reviewed on 2018/12/04
Aspen O.
Professor and Program Director
Higher Education, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/17

"The Standard LMS for Higher Education"

Comments: I have used Blackboard at Fisher College over the last year and have used it periodically at the Citadel over the last 5 years

Pros: Blackboard is the IBM for Learning Management Systems (LMS) in Higher Education. It has most of the features found in other LMS products

Cons: Blackboard lacks some features other LMS products have for copy content between classes

• Reviewed on 2019/04/17
Nicholas V.
Lecturer Contract
Higher Education, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/02/16

"Awesome"

Pros: My Biotech students in Durban South Africa use it in their busy lives the attend my classes for 5 saturdays mornings the rest of the support is provided by the app

Cons: Changing the content -updating every year but the app makes it a breeze
the communication with android device can be improved

• Reviewed on 2019/02/16
Assaf Y.
  • Reviewed on 2018/08/31

"A rigid platform for online training"

Pros: This platform offers content modules, internal communication tools, evaluation tools, monitoring tools and learning management for online mode

Cons: Usually when there are many users interacting on the same page, there are usually speed problems or the platform is blocked. High cost of the license.

• Reviewed on 2018/08/31
Constance B.
Project Administrator
11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/02/21

"Blackboard for School"

Pros: Blackboard is what most of the colleges use now a days for us online students and I believe it is fairly easy to use.

Cons: No real cons of Blackboard besides user error. Sometimes the information is inputted in incorrectly and makes the page look glitchy.

• Reviewed on 2019/02/21
Al D.
Adjunct Professor
Primary/Secondary Education, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/10/13

"Blackboard allows me to provide a compelling space for teaching and to inspire learning."

Comments: There is little question about the advantages of Blackboard over other lms; however, the cost for using it year after year is a problem that bears consideration prospectively.

Pros: I like its many features, from the journal to the discussion board and the integrated gradebook. The discussion board is especially useful, as it can be manipulated to affect teaching strategy and learning outcomes. The gradebook is helpful because its weighting help students to understand where they are at all times in the course.

Cons: I do not like that, on occasion, copy and paste are difficult. I am not always happy with the ease of prioritizing items listed in certain aspects of the course.

• Reviewed on 2017/10/13
Tim L.
Vice President
Primary/Secondary Education, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/28

"Blackboard is getting better"

Pros: Quite a few people are using the LMS. Due to current uses Blackboard has changed much of their compatibly with other software.

Cons: This product could be much better. One of the major problems is how email sent through this system can not be responded to in an other email client

• Reviewed on 2018/06/28
Paul K.
Bookkeeper
Accounting, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2018/09/25

"Great way to have an organized online learning experience."

Pros: Great for online classes because it helps keep homework and assignments organized. Easy to navigate between weekly tasks.

Cons: Seems a little bit out dated. Can be a little bit confusing at first time use especially if the instructor does not know how to utilize it.

• Reviewed on 2018/09/25
Jake W.
Chiropractic Physcian
Medical Practice, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/01/09

"A software continually behind the times."

Comments: If you are looking for this kind of system, I would suggest Canvas. It is was better. Easier to navigate, easier to customize, and works on every type of device.

Pros: I have used this for a total of 4 years. 1 year at my old position and 3 years at my current. Eventually you just get used to it. It has all of the basic tools to communicate, set up unique folders, in depth permissions, etc.

Cons: It is old and dated to work around. It still has issues working on Mac vs PC on random files. Videos often start playing on there own... or they don't play at all. It seems like any system update destroys all of your link you put on it.

• Reviewed on 2018/01/09
Hilda M.
Academic Success Coach
Primary/Secondary Education, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/05/14

"Great Learning Management System"

Pros: Blackboard provided a perfect and easy way to facilitate online courses, with many helpful features including discussion boards, grade breakdowns, and easy administrative tools.

Cons: My main complaint is that I think it could be prettier - it is not the most modern looking software. I also don't think they are doing anything that is particularly innovative to push them above and beyond other learning management systems.

• Reviewed on 2018/05/14
Timothy C.
Software Developer
Management Consulting, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/12/13

"Complex but Powerful - You get a ton of features but that also makes it harder to use"

Pros: There are a ton of options in this software that allow you to do almost anything with it. Pretty much if you can dream it up, you can set up a course that does it.

Cons: The number of options available means that nothing is simple. The benefit of a platform with 5 options is that you don't have many choices to make. When you have 500 options, the choices can quickly get overwhelming. In an effort to be for everyone, Blackboard makes everyone suffer a little bit.

• Reviewed on 2017/12/13
Krista R.
Teacher
E-Learning, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/11

"Blackboard is better than nothing"

Comments: Personally, I do not like Blackboard Learn, but it does serve its purpose. I have had dozens of students who have been able to complete courses despite their frustration and earn credits towards their high school diploma.

Pros: Blackboard Learn enables teachers to create online courses, which allows students in remote locations to earn credits and complete a high school diploma.

Cons: Blackboard Learn is a frustrating platform to use. Every page, image, module is saved into a new "Blackboard" format, which is not compatible with anything else. In fact, often it changes text to image so that they only way to edit the text is to either start from scratch or go into the coding itself.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/11