Blackboard Learn Reviews

by Blackboard

Filter by:

• Overall

About Blackboard Learn

Through our innovative technology and services, Blackboard helps organizations turn learning into a strategic advantage.

Learn more about Blackboard Learn

Juliette R.
Education Management, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/08/29

"A Good Software but Needs Updating"

Comments: Blackboard Learn is a good software, but it needs some updating to look more current. If it looked more current, customers could take advantage of all the functions of this software. I used it in a very basic way simply because I did not like the look of the interface.

Pros: This software allowed me to view my assignments for college and check my grades as well. Instructors used Blackboard to post important announcements and assignments. Overall, the software was easy to navigate and easy to understand. I liked the "Announcements" board of this software as it allowed professors to post important messages that could be found in a single place. The "Alert" feature was also very useful when there was a grade or assignment update.

Cons: Blackboard has many features, but I was not able to take full advantage of them because of how the platform itself looked. The Blackboard platform, especially the black bar on the left hand side, was always confusing and the site itself looked pretty old. When my university actually switched over to Canvas, students missed the layout of Blackboard, but not the actual software, which looked like it was several years old. If the actual interface looked better, I think it would be easier to navigate.

• Reviewed on 2021/08/29
Professor of Science
Higher Education, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/07

"A decent LMS, but there are better ones out there that have less workability issues"

Comments: I have used both Blackboard and Moodle in the past, and I found them very similar for what they offered. I would have been fine using Blackboard indefinitely had I not found out about Canvas, which is what we are using now and I am absolutely it's biggest fan!

Pros: I used Blackboard for almost 10 years, and it was a decent LMS for my needs. When Blackboard Collaborate came out, it was even better because it added a new layer of possibilities (I could have several webinar/conversations going, merge conversations, and/or present to different groups at one time). However, there were always bugs in the system, even though we updated constantly. The Blackboard app was also very limited.

Cons: Too many bugs and freezes; many of my students had issues with accessing links when they used different internet browsers. Good for a small school or business, but not larger ones.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/07
Andrea B.
Researcher/ Instructor
Higher Education, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/09/07

"Too many tools. What to do?"

Comments: It is a good one, but can improve. I would appreciate it if it turns into something more light and user-friendly. For now, it seems to be, however, the only robust option available.

Pros: I appreciate the ease with which I can follow the completion of assignments and track student behavior on the platform--"do they consult the readings?"

Cons: Blackboard offers many tools to educators, but perhaps too many. The interface is heavy. I would appreciate it if it could be more intuitive and clean.

• Reviewed on 2021/09/07
Christopher M.
Undergraduate Student
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/03/19

"Undergraduate Learning with Blackboard Learn"

Comments: My overall experience with Blackboard Learn was optimal as a student in college.

Pros: I found this advantageous when I was in college as an undergraduate. It was great to track my course work and online assignments through this LMS. For its time it was adequate with the UI layout but to modern look and feel of websites and web application software in 2020 it would be outdated unless they revamped the display of everything.

Cons: It was just a bit clunky at times and occasionally a pain in the @$$ but it still got the job done. It might have been that my student user rights weren't fully configured and there was a lack of training from the university for students to use the tool and not on the fault of Blackboard Learn.

• Reviewed on 2020/03/19
John C.
John C.
Professor
Higher Education, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2016/03/23

"a Long Term User's Honest Experience"

Comments: Quick background, was in high tech sales and marketing for many years prior to teaching and heavily involved with custom Computer Graphics systems since Time Arts Lumena was around (predecessor to Photoshop). Check out my LinkedIn profile for more details. On to the product review -- I've been using Blackboard for *many* years, and have been teaching (and doing) Web Design and Development since 1993. I'm retiring shortly, so I can be absolutely frank and honest about my experience with this app without fear of upsetting IT folks or admins that I would have to work with in the future. Truthfully, the ONLY reason I use this app is because I have no alternative at the College where I teach and it gives the students easy access to information, but so would any LMS (Learning Management System). The UIX (User Interface Experience) is incredibly archaic and counter-intuitive. It's also painfully slow to use, as it does constant server requests (just paste the URL for a Blackboard connection into http://www.webpagetest.org/ for testing). Sometimes one single click every 15 seconds is all the system will react to when I'm using the grade book, etc. -- in the "real" world, without captive users, no one would ever return to a site with those response times. To be fair to Blackboard, part of that may (or may not) be our schools network or Blackboard interface setup. As far as usability, Blackboard needs to let the User Interface and UIX designers (if they even had any) direct the techs and coders. It's *very* obvious that it's been the reverse, . They should 'steal' some Apple UIX people and give them some *real* power to direct how the app works and what it looks like. I've just finished using Blackboard for 3 hours+ doing things that should have taken 1 hour or less had the interface been optimized and more thought out. For example, under the 'Assignments' and 'Course Documents' sections there is no easy way to reorder or batch select using something basic like check boxes or a multi-select hot keys. Also, any NEW assignment or document post goes to the BOTTOM (the absolute reverse of a Blog post) So I need to drag it back to the top (where it logically should go). However, even that is awkward, since when I drag to the top of the browser the window does not auto-scroll. I have to hold the left mouse button at the same time as I use my middle finger to roll the mouse wheel -- duh!!. There IS a small text window pop-up accessed via an archaic icon to reorder posts, however, that shows only 5 assignment titles at a time (no window resize function to show more than 5). I can reorder them there, but need to do a single mouse click each time it moves up one position, but again, with no way to see more than 5 and no way to multi-select. So, if I have 50 course documents and want to shift 5 new documents to the top (where they belong) that's almost 250 mouse clicks to re-position 5 documents to where they should be in the first place - duh!! In Gradebook it only shows 10 students listed by default. I can change the setting up to 50 but the next time I go back it's back or need to refresh something -- it's back to 10. It doesn't save defaults or give me a choice. This may seem to be nit-picking, but over the period of a 14 week semester that's a lot of wasted time time and clicks. I'm going to end my review here as I have more work to do, but when I saw a 4 star review for this LMS being the solo review I had to balance it out. Bottom line is, the concept is good -- many, many modules/tools in a LMS bundled package but the execution is absolutely awful. Just Google search 'Blackboard sucks' or 'I hate Blackboard' if you want real faculty and user opinions sans any marketing spin. Other telltale signs are when a company start to lose long-term clients. Ryerson University in Toronto just did a switch from Blackboard after "a multi-year consultation process". More on that process is here http://lms.blog.ryerson.ca/ Hopefully that last paragraph doesn't get censored, because that's the source of raw truth.

Pros: 1. it's an LMS and something is better than nothing.
2. It's full of examples I can show my students on how not to do UI and UIX
3. Well established company is behind it
4. Modular front-end
5. Many bells and whistles

Cons: 1. Counter intuitive, clunky, awkard UI (User Interface) - improve it by hiring UI/UIX experts and giving them actual control over the app interface and functions.
2. Slow (even when on the same network node or high speed cable connection) - needs a code rewrite/optimization.
3. Ancient aesthetics (although some design elements are now "flat design-ish") - hire UI and UIX designers and actually allow them to direct the final interface.
4. Many glitches (I've a folder full of screen-shots, if you want proof) - again a code rewrite needed, or ideally a complete start-over with newer code philosophies and methods.

• Reviewed on 2016/03/23
Abraham S.
Chief Operating Officer
Financial Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/24

"A Gold Standard"

Pros: I utilized this software on a user-end point while in college in the mid 2010s. My wife is using it now as a student in the late 2010s. Blackboard Learn opens a doorway into the world of academia like no other platform I have ever experienced. With it, you can enter a virtual learning center with as robust a set of resources as any prestigious university in the country. Blackboard Learn is an essential tool for creating an online environment where students can really learn akin to the classroom. I highly recommend it - both for professionals looking to impart their knowledge to a wider, more varied audience, and for scholars looking to broaden their horizons with academic leaders across all fields.

Cons: Very few cons about this platform except that, akin to Microsoft Excel, a lot of the features seem both difficult to find or too complex to effectively utilize. The user manual will likely be your closest ally with this software.

• Reviewed on 2019/09/24
Phil H.
Senior Lecturer
  • Reviewed on 2018/03/14

"This was the only LMS choice offered by my institution. Appreciated what it offered."

Pros: Blackboard makes organizing course content easy with standard options and the ability to add content with ease. Students enjoyed the standardized ability to track lecture notes, videos and access course readings. For me, it managed the basics of course content delivery really well.

Cons: Student management was challenging. I spent many hours working out how to grade material online and how to hide or show results for students. I found the help files not particularly useful for these challenges, and as these were things that I only performed once or twice per year, I tended to forget how to resolve these issues.

• Reviewed on 2018/03/14
Kyle B.
Major Account Manager
Management Consulting, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/06

"Love Blackboard - Used as a teacher and a student"

Pros: Blackboard is one of the pinnacle learning suites out there. I've had the privilege of being a student and a teacher with BB and have to say that I have never been let down by the amount of plugins that teachers can use and the ease of navigation for students. This tool really does check all of the boxes and makes remote learning a little bit easier.

Cons: As a teacher, there are almost too many ways that you can configure the course room and it can get fairly overwhelming. As a student, I didn't really have any cons!

• Reviewed on 2018/06/06
Juan N.
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/06/10

"The best in its kind"

Pros: Whenever the professors are knowledgeable of the software, they make use of all the features and organize the content of the course in an excellent manner. Blackboard's features allows the class (professor and fellow students) to be interconnected.

Cons: I have heard from elderly professors about the difficulty of adding material in BB. This is evident in the fact that sometimes the course documents and syllabi are mixed in different sections.

• Reviewed on 2021/06/10
Academic Technology Helpdesk
Higher Education, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/14

"Blackboard for Business works great!"

Pros: I enjoyed the navigation features that made it easy to use Blackboard LMS. Some new software my company has implemented has been very difficult to navigate and understand, but this was not.

Cons: We experienced some browser issues with Blackboard. Many could not access certain features using Internet Explorer, which we understand now is outdated. Google Chrome seemed to be the best browser to use and has work pretty good ever since.

• Reviewed on 2018/11/14
Landon C.
Server
Food & Beverages, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/04/26

"Blackboard analytics"

Comments: I have used Blackboard for over two years and I love everything about it, I really like the reminders for my work.

Pros: I love how easy it is to use blackboard in my everyday life. This software has helped my stay on top of my assignments and work.

Cons: I don't like when blackboard goes under maintenance, because sometimes it can be difficult to get any assignments done or my work done with the website is down.

• Reviewed on 2020/04/26
William L.
Adjunct English Instructor
Education Management, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/04/24

"Avoid this program at all costs. Use literally anything else."

Comments: Awful. If I had the choice, I would never use this program again. I use a different program at another college where I work, and I can say without any reservation that Blackboard is garbage. I don't know how it's priced, but I'm sure it can't be worth whatever the administrators are saving. Truly horrid, and now that most of our work is going to be online for awhile, teachers just can't afford to be hamstrung by this abysmal program any longer.
Oh, and Safe Assign is a joke. I've caught ten times more plagiarism using common sense than that thing has ever spotted. It misses almost ALL of the plagiarism I have found from my students. Ridiculously bad.

Pros: There is nothing this software does that other software doesn't do better. I like that it allows for the creation of rubrics, as all programs of this sort do. Really can't seen anything about this that is better or even as good as other programs

Cons: Whole passages of feedback will suddenly disappear if you move the mouse into the wrong area or scroll a bit while you are typing comments on the essay. This is a persistent problem that everyone in our school has verified. In order to use one editing tool (a highlighter), the program locks out the other editing tool (the comment field), unless you refresh the screen, which then erases any comments not held in place by a highlight. I could go on and on and on, but I'm afraid I'd have to type it all over again if this review field is made by the same people who made Blackboard's essay editor.

• Reviewed on 2020/04/24
Mu E.
Human Resources, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2021/08/05

"Wonderful learning management system"

Pros: I used Blackboard while teaching college courses. Blackboard made it easy to host course material, share with students, enable mobile sharing. I would have kept using it if my school didn't switch to Canvas.

Cons: My least favorite thing about Blackboard was that the file uploader is Java-based.

• Reviewed on 2021/08/05
veterinary assistant
Veterinary, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/05/27

"I used Blackboard for half of my college career"

Pros: I liked how it was easy to find all of the courses I was in, and I could find where my professors had put extra reading materials about the courses I was in.

Cons: I didn't like when the software would mess up and glitch. That happened quite a few times with my fully online courses and messed with my grades a few times >.<

• Reviewed on 2019/05/27
Lauren A.
Primary/Secondary Education, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/03/14

"Not too bad"

Comments: I've used both Blackboard and Canvas in an educational environment. While Canvas has obvious strengths with many features available, Blackboard's ease of use has made Blackboard an everlasting tool at our school.

Pros: The interface is straightforward and easy to use. I could easily contact my professors and vice-versa. This was especially helpful for older professors who do not like the flashy parts of Canvas.

Cons: While the interface is easy to use, it's a bit outdated. There are not as many features as competitors such as group skyping, etc.

• Reviewed on 2017/03/14
Manager, Sales Development
11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/03/07

"A staple to higher education learning"

Pros: I took a lot of online courses during my higher education learning, and it made my life a lot easier having an organized way to manage and track my courses.

Cons: The UI/UX was outdated but not over complex. From my recent research it still seems that blackboard is the same now as it was 10 years ago?

• Reviewed on 2018/03/07
Al D.
Adjunct Professor
Primary/Secondary Education, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/10/13

"Blackboard allows me to provide a compelling space for teaching and to inspire learning."

Comments: There is little question about the advantages of Blackboard over other lms; however, the cost for using it year after year is a problem that bears consideration prospectively.

Pros: I like its many features, from the journal to the discussion board and the integrated gradebook. The discussion board is especially useful, as it can be manipulated to affect teaching strategy and learning outcomes. The gradebook is helpful because its weighting help students to understand where they are at all times in the course.

Cons: I do not like that, on occasion, copy and paste are difficult. I am not always happy with the ease of prioritizing items listed in certain aspects of the course.

• Reviewed on 2017/10/13
Monique S.
Talent Acquisition Specialist
Philanthropy, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/10/15

"Easy and Convenient"

Pros: Accessibility to information, the ease to navigate from one thing to another. Everything is listen in the needs order for the most part.

Cons: I don't remember any cons using black boards. It was easy convenient to look at my assignments, find my classes and print my syllabus.

• Reviewed on 2018/10/15
Germaine K.
Program Assistant
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/17

"Learning on BB"

Comments: Overall, Blackboard Learn is a pretty good experience. Students are able to access many things.

Pros: I liked how this software is very easy for students. Instructors can give assignments, show grades, and upload attachments. Changes are instantaneously.

Cons: I don't like how Blackboard constant go through changes and is often down or having technical issues that'll need to be passed onto customer service.

• Reviewed on 2020/12/17
Evelyn W.
Office Assistant
Hospital & Health Care, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/26

"Awesome in an app"

Comments: Its convenient and smart for any college student. I wish I had something like this for my personal life!

Pros: I have all of my classes readily available so I could stay on top of my studies.

Cons: You could not use it to turn in assignments unless you were on the actual site.

• Reviewed on 2019/03/26
Kirk S.
Education Management, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/18

"Not A Great Product"

Pros: There are not a lot of things that I like about this softaware. It achieves its basic functionality by allowing you to learn online, and submit assignments, but that’s pretty much all that it has going for it.

Cons: The system just doesn’t have an intuitive flow like other learning softwares I have used. I also always had difficulty with setting up, and getting off threaded group messages. Overall I was just very relieved when we got off this and switched to a different software.

• Reviewed on 2019/03/18
Rachel W.
graduate student researcher
Higher Education, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/03/24

"Good alternative to canvas"

Comments: I found blackboard a great complement to in-person learning. As a developing high school student I found it easy to navigate. Slightly prefer canvas, but blackboard was comparable.

Pros: This software was easy to navigate as an undergraduate college student enrolled in several classes. It was easy to access course materials and track my progress throughout the course.

Cons: Sometimes the interface felt a little crowded but overall the product was very functional. Would sometimes encounter some difficulties with taking timed quizzes online (i.e., technical problems).

• Reviewed on 2021/03/24
Student Advisor Assistant intern
E-Learning, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/30

"Blackboard Review"

Comments: my overall experience with blackboard learning was very positive allowed for affective communication and learning among students and professors all around the country.

Pros: what I liked most about the software was that it was user-friendly and allowed me to correspond with students and professors efficiently to address issues/concerns.

Cons: what I like least about blackboard was that it did at sometimes have IT issues in which they did incorporate their own that would be able to handle any problems that we encountered.

• Reviewed on 2020/11/30
Catherine I.
  • Reviewed on 2019/01/16

"Blackboard gives organizational learning a whole new aspect"

Pros: Layout and division is very friendly even for first time users. It enables educators and students to communicate efficiently without the need for further questioning regarding tasks. It also sets good reminders for learners on when tasks are due.

Cons: Sometimes the software tends to get slow or unresponsive. Glitches also tend to have students to forcibly submit even without finishing the task yet.

• Reviewed on 2019/01/16
Brian N.
E-Learning, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/05/20

"Ok software"

Pros: I liked that we were able to see our grades on homework right a way and it’s user friendly.

Cons: The site maintenance was usually being done at a bad time and also the site would crash often so it made it hard to do homework.

• Reviewed on 2019/05/20