Sumac Reviews

by Silent Partner Software

• Overall
    4,3 /5
    4,1 /5
    4,7 /5

About Sumac

Manage your entire nonprofit with a single CRM! Get all the functionality you need, plus donation webpages & build-in email marketing.

Learn more about Sumac

Clare S.
Board Member
Primary/Secondary Education, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2018/03/15

"Really, really helpful and easy-to-use software"

Pros: Sumac has everything we need -- keeps our database, sends out our communications, keeps track of all our donations and receipts/acknowledgements. It is set up in a straightforward way and, when I first researched CRMs, it was the only one where I could understand the setup from the start (I think the others were not set up logically). Also, the support team at Sumac is wonderful; attentive, understanding, they are really willing to help me solve all my problems, whether it is a quick question or a larger issue that needs much more overhaul. In fact, they resolved the biggest problem I had with the software: I frequently must bulk import changes to my data, and there were parts I had to do manually because the contact types weren't available to use in the import workspace. But they have recently changed the import workspace to be more flexible, at least partly in response to my comments, so now my bulk imports go much more quickly. In addition, the program has many optional add-ons that can help with courses, volunteer hours, registrations, silent auctions and so many other bits of software that anyone might need. Also, it is very reasonable priced.

Cons: The only things that I find difficult are remembering all the little details of complicated searches, downloads, and the steps of emailing. But I am not very technologically savvy, and others will not be as easily frustrated as I am.

• Reviewed on 2018/03/15
Silvia D.
Chief Executive Officer
Renewables & Environment, 11-50 Employees
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 2016/11/22

"SUMAC - great CRM"

Comments: After struggling for several years with an expensive database that was not intuitive and did not meet our needs, our organization looked into several others to replace it including Sumac which was recommended to us by another not-for-profit. We scheduled a demo with a Sumac Guru for our entire team and we were all captivated by the ease of use and functionality it offered – almost everything on our “wish list” (and much more). We then decided to purchase Sumac and have not regretted our decision. While there were a few hiccups with our data migration, overall we have been very impressed. It is very user-friendly, fast, and has features that we are still discovering a year after we started using it. The Sumac team is amazing and has been very responsive, accommodating and helpful when we have needed assistance in using the tool and putting through change requests when we have suggestions and identified areas for improvement.

Pros: User friendly
Excellent customer support
New releases on regular basis

Cons: Online functionality for some add-ons is very basic (e.g. ticketing) or not available yet (e.g. sales)
The User Guide is good at describing each of the many fields in the database but limited in explaining how these are used together (processes)

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 2016/11/22
Tina B.
Development Coordinator
Fund-Raising, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/01/12

"Sumac is very user-friendly. I like how we can use it for donors, volunteers and clients."

Comments: The best benefit is being able to maintain all information in one database. Many donor management systems do not allow for volunteers and clients. Also, I believe this software is flexible with many features, yet you can still use it with other software systems like Constant Contact, etc.

Pros: You are able to add categories and information you need for your organization. You are able to personalize the database. In addition, the reporting helps you to save time managing and sharing information with your nonprofit board and constituents.

Cons: The only con is you have to take the time to learn how to use it. Sumac has the ability to have so much information that you need to know how to utilize that information for you. Luckily, the Sumac tech team is always available to help you and they have great tutorial videos for all aspects.

• Reviewed on 2018/01/12
Crystal wacker K.
Reach UP Magazine
  • Reviewed on 2018/05/08

"The IT guys have been great and very helpful."

Comments: Accuracy. Mail merge. Email mail merge. Donations management. Excellent. They understand the work of a non-profit.

Pros: It is accurate. Based on the cloud and reasonable for all you get. I can customize the columns, data that I need which is quite different from other non-profits. I can have different "offices" which really helps with the multiple projects that I am responsible for.

Cons: I still need help in using the Campaign feature. It might be me, but I haven't quite got that figured out.

Anne W.
Individual & Family Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/05/09

"Fairly easy to navigate even for someone with fairly basic computer literacy."

Comments: We now use only 2 programs for all client information retention rather than the 4 we had previously. The other program we use is mandated otherwise, I can see where we could have set up another program within Sumac to have everything in one.

Pros: Once familiar with the program, it is quite user friendly. The ability to customize forms for different programs has been wonderful.

Cons: I would like the relationship links easier to use. Many of our staff do not create families as it is a further page a bit more cumbersome than other programs that we use, such as Link2Feed.

• Reviewed on 2018/05/09
Chad R.
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/09/20

"Good value for the price for not for profit organizations. It does everything that we need it to do."

Pros: Excellent features and value for the price, especially for not for profit organizations who do not have a lot of funds but really need and can benefit from this software. Excellent customer support, not a long wait either.

Cons: Sorting and queries are complicated and not as automated or easy as I would like and there are some limitations.

• Reviewed on 2017/09/20
Hilary J.
Marketing & Communications Manager
Fine Art, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/11/07

"Sistema Toronto Loves Sumac!"

Comments: Sumac is a great resource for Sistema Toronto. We use it to track donations, issue receipts, and keep records of communication with our community of donors. We appreciate how easy Sumac is to use and how helpful the customer support team is when we’re in need of assistance. We’re a small shop with a tight budget, so Sumac is a great fit for us.

Pros: Sumac is easy to use, their customer support team is accessible , and the software is affordable for our small shop.

Cons: We struggled to get used to the search function at first, though we're used to it now. I wish I could do a bulk upload of communication records, too.

• Reviewed on 2017/11/07
Jennifer F.
Civic & Social Organization, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/19

"We couldn't live without Sumac!"

Pros: Sumac is incredibly easy to use, is customizable, and the free support is outstanding. They are always happy to help!!

Cons: The only con I would say is that there isn't a built in email template creator, but it integrates with MailChimp and Constant Contact.

• Reviewed on 2018/11/19
Marcia D.
Financial Assistant
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/05/24

"I find SUMAC easy to use and the customer service great."

Comments: User Friendly

Pros: The system was easy to setup - very user friendly. Easy to change as requirements change. The custom support is very friendly and helpful. Training is a huge bonus.

Cons: Reports. I would like to create and save custom reports. The built in reports do not allow different optionss

• Reviewed on 2018/05/24
Gayle M.
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/05/11

"We are just starting to use the software and so some of the features have not yet been implemented."

Comments: We are still very new using the software so most of the potential benefits haven't been realized yet.

Pros: i like how easy it is to use the search features. With the ability to refine details for searching you can really narrow a search and get the information you require without having to look trhough long lists.

Cons: There are multiple information windows for every contact and it can very time consuming ensuring all information is up to date and accurate.

Adam S.
Artistic Director/CEO
  • Reviewed on 2014/04/15

"The best solution for a startup nonprofit!"

Comments: I learned about Sumac through my graduate course work. To my knowledge, it is the only CRM that offers a free version with everything a startup nonprofit needs. I have been able to easily manage my contacts and donations with the database. The mail merge feature and group emailing capabilities are a huge time saver. I look forward to Ballet Vero Beach growing with Sumac and expanding our capabilities as our needs change. As an aside, I recently had a problem with my database when an update was installed on the Sumac software. I called customer service and actually spoke with Peter Turk (one of the developers of the software!), Peter spent nearly five hours working with me to make sure my database (of only 40 contacts) was intact and functioning. Where else can you get customer service like that on a free service?

• Reviewed on 2014/04/15
Anita W.
Office Administrator
  • Reviewed on 2015/06/17

"Great product, easily best bang for buck out there."

Comments: I've been using Sumac for 3 years now. The customer service is amazing and the team is extremely responsive to customer requests both for help and new features. The system is reasonably intuitive and robust. The only thing that keeps me from giving it 5 stars across the board is it is still occasionally awkward to pull donor lists for mailings that don't have both individual members of a household as well as the household itself. I have recommended Sumac to several other administrators in the not for profit industry. You cannot beat it for bang for buck. Having compared it to larger systems (like RE), I would gladly stick with Sumac for usability, robustness and customer service.

• Reviewed on 2015/06/17
Mitchell M.
Artistic Producer

"Very user-friendly!"

Comments: Prior to using SUMAC we had dozens of very `un' user-friendly Excel documents storing 9 years worth of patron information. As Artistic Producer, I was the only one with enough institutional memory to be able to use these documents, which meant hours of my time sorting to generate useable reports and mailing lists. Since starting SUMAC, accessing and using data has become a staff-wide activity ' we are all able to access our database and use it on our daily work whether that's identifying donors, quickly finding information on groups and schools who have attended our shows, or managing our email and snail mail lists. It's really helped to move our management of data to the next level.

Ester P.
Marketing & Communications Manager
  • Reviewed on 2013/11/07

"Great customer service and an incredible product!!"

Comments: We switched to Sumac from a tailor-made FileMaker Pro database system and couldn't be more satisfied. Sumac integrates all areas of our operations, which is something no other database software has been able to do for us. It has streamlined our processes and increased our productivity, making it possible for us to reach new levels in our programming, fundraising and marketing initiatives. The Sumac team are continually adding increased functionality to the program. They respond immediately to questions, often anticipating our needs and going a step or two further to develop new solutions to increase our efficiency, without even being asked.

Caron M.
Comptroller
  • Reviewed on 2018/05/14

"Sumac is a difficult program to navigate and the cost of a basic platform is extremely high."

Pros: It has the ability to generate Charity Receipts
It is usable as a stand-alone customer relations program

Cons: Generating Charity Receipts is not an easy task - coding is always an issue
The software cost is not designed for smaller charitable organizations
Terminology for reporting is not consistent with the accounting/bookkeeping profession

• Reviewed on 2018/05/14
Katie S.
Managing Director
  • Reviewed on 2013/11/21

"Scalable, affordable, and easy to use."

Comments: Seattle Pro Musica spent several years working with a huge database system - a behemoth that required intense training and still wouldn't pull the reports we needed! We were actively searching for other options when a fortuitous presentation from a representative of United Way introduced us to Sumac. From the beginning, Sumac impressed us with its scalability, affordability, and ease of use. With Sumac, our staff and board members are able to access our data in a clean and clear format - which has helped us to make major improvements in constituent relationship management. We're thrilled that we joined the Sumac community.

• Reviewed on 2013/11/21
Cathy B.
Administrator

"I love Sumac!"

Comments: I love Sumac. It has allowed me to track all of our donor's information super easily. I purchased it originally so that I could issue tax receipts to our donors, but have found it useful to track giving based on correspondence and fundraising events. We started small, but as we grow so does our need to gather information. Sumac is also great because I can manage my contact list for mailings through it. Any questions I have are answered quickly through tech support (either via e-mail or on the phone). Sumac also provides updates regularly, so that means they're paying attention to their customers' input.

Jovanni S.
Former Artistic Director (2003-2009)

"Highly recommended"

Comments: We're big fans of Sumac at Cahoots. First, the interface is highly intuitive which is important for a company like ours where we have a lot of volunteers and new faces coming in to update our data. Second, the product does everything we need from communications to donation tracking. Finally, the quality of customer support is superior to any other product I've seen. Any questions we've had have been addressed in a prompt, professional, and courteous manner. I have recommended this product to many colleagues and will continue to do so in the future.

Marlene M.
  • Reviewed on 2014/01/21

"Sumac goes the extra mile!"

Comments: The switch from a manually managed membership list to an integrated data base has been smooth thanks to the excellent support from Sumac support and other staff. As a new user, they have helped us through the data loading process, and have provided several tutorials for our officers, always willing to go the extra mile to guide us through the learning process. To date, Sumac has met all our data requirements, and we look forward to our continuing relationship. Thanks Sumac!"

• Reviewed on 2014/01/21
Rhoda D.
Diversity Coordinator
  • Reviewed on 2013/11/07

"Fabulous for Donor Management!!"

Comments: Sumac has been invaluable in helping us accurately track our members and friends! Using the easy reports created by Sumac, we saw a new picture of our donors. We quickly realized that a few of our supporters had continually given small donations ' which added up to quite a lot! We hadn't had a clear picture of how generous they had actually been until it was laid out simply in Sumac. We've now done a much better job of tracking, and properly thanking, all our donors.

Sandra C.
Membership Manager
  • Reviewed on 2013/11/11

"Perfect for memberships, donations, events, campaigns, reporting and more."

Comments: Switching over to Sumac from Income Manager has made things much more productive at the Mississauga Arts Council. It easily manages our membership, donations, events, campaigns, reporting and more. Transition between systems was faster and easier than I could have imagined. Our administration processes have been streamlined in a way that was never possible before. We finally have control over our data and a real picture of everything we do!

• Reviewed on 2013/11/11
Karen A.
Director of Development

"Great product!!"

Comments: My staff loves Sumac because it's easy to learn and use. I like the fact that we can add Options as our needs and our budget dictate. When it comes to technical support, we have found that the Sumac team is very approachable, easy to work with, and really understand our needs. We can also customize the system to our exact situation, and this is proving to be very helpful.

Kim B.
  • Reviewed on 2013/11/07

"Three cheers for Sumac!"

Comments: Thanks to Sumac, we are finally getting some control over our database. The program is easy to use and incredibly helpful in organizing contacts, communications and fundraising initiatives. The staff at Sumac are wonderfully patient and supportive. Three cheers for Sumac!

Brett O.
Manager, Development and Communications

"Okay."

Comments: Nothing special.

Pros: Fairly easy to customise, fairly intuitive, once gets into it. Search Builder is nice, once understood.

Cons: Cluttered. For example, Having all gifts in the same group as any other notes and points of donor contact is rather frustrating due to the cluttered nature. Likewise the Contacts page- much prefer single Search field, then a full list which is searched. And I have no idea if there's an easy way to see direct mail statistics (i.e., % of responses, average raised based on responses, etc.). That's a feature I've become very accustomed to and am missing greatly. Not a bad donor database; but honestly? It's not DonorPerfect.

Kevin P.
Program Coordinator
  • Reviewed on 2018/05/11

"Overall Positive Experience. Easy to use and navigate. Good Customer Service."

Comments: An easy way to manage our membership and donations programs.

Pros: I like the Membership and Donation platforms. Compared to our previous system it is very easy to update records, put in payments, and track donations with certain campaigns. Its also easy to run numbers for my director and give detailed stats.

Cons: There is not much to dislike but probably the search functions on the Contacts page. It would be great to have a search bar to search last name, organization name, province, etc...