• Overall
    4,5 /5
    4,5 /5
    4,4 /5

About FreshBooks

An easy invoicing and accounting solution starting at $6.00/mth (first 6 mths). Join 24 million people who've already used FreshBooks.

Learn more about FreshBooks

Showing 3 587 reviews

Wesley W.
Financial Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/17

"Tons of Features and Easy to Use"

Comments: Fresh Books is a must have for businesses that want to simplify their accounting software. My team loved all the options and great support. I will be recommending this software to my business colleagues.

Pros: There is so many features that any one at any level can use. The pricing options definitely made this a great purchase item to help my business.

Cons: It could have some more options on customizing reports.

• Reviewed on 2020/11/17
Stergios B.
Farmer
Farming, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/29

"Easy payments"

Comments: It has free and premium users for simple payments

Pros: It’s very easy for small companies payments are very simple

Cons: Very simple payments you can use the premium account for more simple

• Reviewed on 2020/12/29
Co-Producer, Writer, Media Manager
  • Reviewed on 2018/07/29

"Free accounting apps never worked for me. Finally bit the bullet and am in major LOVE w Freshbooks."

Pros: This might make me sound superficial but the first thing I loved about Freshbooks was the interface. The icons, the buttons, the way everything looks is so so appealing to me. And it made me want to use the trial version (I did this a little more than 1 year ago). Using it made me feel like I was getting my financial act together. Which it later did, btw. The time tracker is the best... time saver for me. It records time and then adds everything together in a way that nothing else really did. It seems so obvious but nothing I was using before helped track my hours this way. This is the thing that used to drive me round the bend when it came time to invoicing clients. I used to delay invoicing (aka "getting paid") because my own system was terrible..and I could not find a better way until finally deciding that maybe I needed to pay for something to help me. I like the notes section for the time entries. I like how flexible it is to shift recorded time entries around or update the text to better describe what work I actually did. I also love the support from Freshbooks. They're super responsive and extremely helpful. They do not waste my time with a lot of blather I've experienced in so many other customer service situations (like repeating back to me the question I just proferred). They include screenshots and precise language to answer my questions. Also: Expenses in FB. I now go out of my way to add in expenses as they come w/o avoiding them.

Cons: I recommended Freshbooks to a friend of mine who started using it right away. Then he had trouble with a really difficult client he'd billed using Freshbooks. This client (I subcontracted with the friend so am aware of what all happened) contested all of my friend's work and refused payment after paying the Freshbooks invoice. And Freshbooks allowed the chargeback to happen. I think other software does not allow this --- for example, my friend now uses Quickbooks as a result. I have also experienced some quirks when it came to adding new jobs to repeat clients. This is likely my own error but it's not something I've cared to reach out to the support team to question. I also have not downloaded a year's incoming and outgoing details to give to an accountant. So I don't know how well that all works. Again, my own thing, and not necessarily on them.

• Reviewed on 2018/07/29
Gaurav C.
Senior Business Analyst
  • Reviewed on 2018/01/12

"FreshBooks is a reliable and fast accounting suite for complex financial management"

Comments: A complete makeover FreshBooks developers understand the struggle of small teams to handle complex accounting projects and deliver efficient results. Just as easy as you know it to be Back in the days, a team of developers decided to design an easy, intuitive, and non-accountant friendly finance management app, and promised their users that this approach will never change. Mobile-friendly and accessible FreshBooks is considerably good at following trends, and the best proof of it are the mobile platform add-ons for iOS and Android devices, allowing you to access data and do accounting regardless of your location. Saves billing time like no other app FreshBooks redesigned its time tracking for billing purposes by allowing companies to accept payment online, and to do so via various payment gateways. Excellent invoice to payment features FreshBooks offers top rate invoice to payment features that can be used by all small businesses. For instance, you can track exactly when your customer opened your invoice email. Tracking expenses with handy snaps This feature comes handy if you need to liquidate expenses after a client meeting: you simply click a picture of the receipt and attach the snap to an item in FreshBooks to log the expense. racking working times even better than before The new version of the app allows you to becertain of the accuracy of your charges, and lets you have proof if a client decides to dispute them. You can even use the iOS and Android apps to track your working time in the field. Plus, it is easy to convert your work timesheet into an invoice and send it to clients for payments. A bright future As good as the new FreshBooks version may look now, it has only begun to develop. The company promises many advanced features in the near future, including bank accounts reconciliation, non-invoice income recording, and billing adjusted to enterprise-grade users. The innovative spirit is planned to spread on to reporting as well, and transform the scope of available integrations to help companies get paid for their efforts, time, and expertise. At the same time, FreshBooks Classic (as the old version is currently known) will remain active, but will constantly be absorbed within the new one's comprehensive productive suite.

Pros: businesses get to manage invoices and recurring subscriptions in less than no time, and collect online payments within the same system. In fact, FreshBooks enables Google Checkout, PayPal, and credit card payments, and integrates with a long list of business systems and applications that can streamline this process. With it, odds are good that you will unite financial control in a single system, and stop paying for the maintenance of complex software infrastructure. A considerable advantage of FreshBooks compared to other accounting apps is the availability of fully-functional mobile apps and add-ons you can get for Android and iOS devices. The apps allow you to bring the power and convenience of the software on location, and do accounting and access records whenever you wish to do so. As you can see, FreshBooks literally takes finances out of the office, but does so in a safe and seamless fashion.

Cons: Despite a wide range of excellent features users have pointed out a few minor things that can be improved in FreshBooks: its metrics, goal setting, and reporting features can be better. One user also found bugs in FreshBooks email click-throughs and automated expenses which did not function to his liking. Apart from these insignificant glitches, hoever, there is no doubt that FreshBooks is a top notch accounting product that can bring a lot to your accounting deparatament.

• Reviewed on 2018/01/12
Derek R.
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/08

"Simple Invoicing Solution for Small Business"

Comments: I've been extremely happy with Freshbooks so far. It has certainly reduced the amount of time I spend doing my time tracking, invoicing and accounting. Tracking expenses throughout the year makes it easy for my tax professional to "do his thing" in regards to reporting and deductions.

Pros: I primarily use this software for tracking time against clients, for everything from larger projects to simple one-off tasks. It's incredibly easy to start the timer, associate it with the client/project, then stop the timer when the session/job is complete. On the first of the month, I can quickly generate and send invoices for each client based on the time tracked. Clients can then pay by check or online, and I can mark invoices as paid after the payments are reconciled by my bank. The automated invoice reminders have helped collect money I'd otherwise be chasing down.

Cons: Wish there were some additional follow-up/reminder options. Some of my clients need more than 3 reminders, sometimes. I also find it somewhat confusing doing the reconciling, as not marking transfer/expenses properly can do funny things to the ledgers (although the reports make it pretty easy to go back and fix).

Gina S.
Transaction Coodinator
Real Estate, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/20

"Perfect for all of your accounting"

Comments: Definitely fantastic for time tracking and billing your customers. Nice invoices and easy for the client to pay on the other end. Overall I have stuck with it for a good long time and I like it enough that I haven't even looked to change it.

Pros: I have had this software since it was a free program. I use it for time tracking and invoicing my real estate clients. It works seamlessly with Stripe which moves my credit card payments to my bank for a small fee. The cost is very reasonable and if I had a staff of any kind I could give them some access to be able to bill for their hours etc. I now use the extension on chrome to login and track my hours which is incredibly handy and I dont have to have a window open just for that, it works in the background of all the open tabs. Overall I very much like it.

Cons: As I mentioned I have had the program since it started as a free account and I now pay for the lowest paid account as it is just me. I would love to be able to have some of the other accounting features and add my other business to it but that costs more. My biggest wish would be that they might include a few of them into the cheaper account as I am sure most people need the ones like account balancing etc. Also, it would be helpful if you did not also have to pay for another system like Stripe to get the money from your account to your bank.

• Reviewed on 2019/09/20
Kaylene W.
Graphic Design & Production Specialist
Higher Education, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 2016/01/14

"FreshBooks is a true blessing."

Comments: I work in a college and print/design for faculty/staff and students. Because of the high volume of jobs it was easy to miss paperwork when jobs were being given to me by email, phone, and walk-ins. Also, my office was not able to accept cash which was difficult for students. Several years ago I started using Wufoo for creating job request forms. It was working well with PayPal integration, but invoices would go out immediately so if they were entered incorrectly or the job changed, it caused confusion when alterations had to be made. FreshBooks was the integration that enabled me to have invoices only go out when the job was fully completed. It also helped me to keep track of what invoices were getting paid and which ones weren't. I love the reports that totally help me at the end of the fiscal year.

Pros: Ability to see all the jobs for each client.
Ability to add contacts to the clients - in my case, to add secretaries names to the faculty accounts.
Ability to have my student workers be able to assist with the outgoing invoices to ease up my time for other matters.
Can add expenses to see exactly what's coming in and going out.
Automatic 30, 60, and 90 day overdue notices.
Integration with PayPal so invoices can be paid that way if preferred.
Would love to use the ability where FreshBooks can keep track of your inventory, but since some of my jobs are paid ahead of time through Wufoo and never have to get transferred over to FreshBooks, it wouldn't be accurate.

Cons: Clients names are always listed by the business name - in my case, by departments or offices. I would prefer that I actually see the person's name. I wish it would give the option of which you'd like to see.
Only certain information is sent from the Wufoo form to FreshBooks - I would've liked even just one more box of information to move from one to the other. I couldn't get a clear answer on which one (Wufoo or FreshBooks) was the one that created that code. There is nothing from Wufoo (like an invoice #) that shows up on the FreshBooks invoice to connect the two.

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 2016/01/14
Laura S.
Bookkeeper
Accounting, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/22

"You don't have to be an Accountant to Use it"

Comments: I now keep books for my small freelance business and my personal expenses. And I am always referring friends and others to Freshbooks especially when they first start up - then once they do, they keep using it even after the business grows.

Pros: It was easy to follow and use - nothing complicated. Perfect for someone that isn't good at bookkeeping but has their own business with low overhead.

Cons: I really didn't dislike anything about it.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/22
Prerit S.
self employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/08/20

"Fresh books"

Comments: For me Fresh books is must .it helps me to be without any stress regarding the accounting of my business & I am using it for 4 years it is very straight and easy to use. It doest requires you to be very skillfully to get master in it

Pros: As in the current market Fresh books offers less expensive service then its most of the competitors in the market.other cloud based accounting software are expensive in comparison of Fresh books.Fresh books is very essay to use by small and medium business.

Cons: Fresh books doesnot allow us to access reports in its mobile application. it is not build for complex business and as it is less expensive it's lacks in the features which are offered by its competitors in market.

• Reviewed on 2020/08/20
Heather marie S.
Graphic Designer, WordPress Designer and Photographer
Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2018/12/18

"Sometimes I log in on my day off just to look at it."

Comments: I was using Excel to track expenses and create invoices. I have to track down receipts and call on clients who were late to pay. It was up to me to remember to invoice clients each month. It was pretty overwhelming for me. Freshbooks basically made me a more efficient person by sending invoices automatically, importing expenses and chasing down clients who are late to pay.

Pros: Not only is the design pleasing, but it's super easy to use and integrate with just about any other platform you use. My favorite features are the automations. I have the ability to integrate this with my email list so that new clients added to my email list automatically. I also love how easy the reports are to use. Creating recurring invoices it's the bomb and I love that some of my clients have saved they're credit cards and their invoices get paid automatically!! I spend less time entering payments and managing expenses and more time doing the stuff I want to do.

Cons: I would like a simpler way to manage tasks. This feature still feels clunky to me. It's also like to back to search within deleted clients and projects. Overall I'm just being picky because I can't think of anything else I need this to do.

• Reviewed on 2018/12/18
Project Coordinator
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/05

"Freshbooks Review by Non Profit Food Distribution Organization"

Comments: We used freshbooks for accounting and for invoicing, for keeping track of our donors and all the donations they gave. We give out food items and donors pay for specific distributions, so sometimes we would send an invoice for the distribution they were sponsoring, asking the donor to submit payment. It was nice that they were able to pay with credit card directly through freshbooks

Pros: It was a great beginners accounting software with an invoicing option that I made good use of. It was pretty intuitive and user friendly.

Cons: The price kept on going up. As a non-profit we wanted more donors obviously but every time we added more contacts we were switching to higher pricing points, and it became too expensive for our organization to stay with the software.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/05
Todd E.
Management Consulting, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/04/23

"Great service"

Comments: Very enjoyable, easy to use. Right down to billing and recording payments from my phone.

Pros: I have been working with FreshBooks for a couple of years now and recently tried one of their additional bookkeeping/reconciling services through Bench. I gave it 6 months and realized that I didn't have enough transactions to make the service feasible. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was the person who assisted me in closing out that service and moving me back to the original Freshbooks plan. He did an excellent job of understanding my situation and ensuring that they had done everything possible to make things right. Along with the other live support I have used numerous times, the personal interactions with the team at Freshbooks has always been outstanding.

Cons: I'd like to to see some of the reporting functions have more flexibility to show things that are important to me. Things that would allow me to do more budgeting and planning.

• Reviewed on 2020/04/23
Nikaton K.
FreshBooks
Computer Networking, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/08/07

"FreshBooks"

Comments: FreshBooks is a web based invoicing and bookkeeping programming intended for independently employed experts and entrepreneurs and their groups. It is anything but difficult to utilize in any event, for non-tech, non-bookkeeping clients

Pros: Spare TIME WITH AUTOMATION From receipt suggestions to gathering installments, put your business on autopilot and invest more energy developing your business. Hearty REPORTS FOR POWERFUL INSIGHTS Watch out for your financials with canny reports that assist you with settling on more intelligent business decisions. MORE WAYS TO GET PAID Make paying solicitations a problem free involvement in online installments and put more cash in your pocket quicker

Cons: Did you realize that you can discover the entirety of the bookkeeping highlights you need across the board place? With FreshBooks, you have a wide scope of highlights and applications readily available so as to receipt easily, track costs and bills, see your money related status and that's only the tip of the iceberg. It's easy to make and alter solicitations, include your logo and even send customized "thank you" messages. Include followed time and costs and produce propelled reports for your business

• Reviewed on 2020/08/07
Mariano D.
  • Reviewed on 2017/01/09

"FreshBooks offers Easy Invoicing"

Comments: We've had a great experience using FreshBooks from an invoicing and billing perspective since we started using it in 2010. They've steadily made improvements over the last six years that have not been too cumbersome to learn but have improved our interactions with our customers and their ability to pay us. We've most recently added the FreshBooks payment processing option to our account, and we've found that not only is it an efficient and effective way to make payments, we've also found that our customers have found it easy to use whether making a one time CC payment or setting up for recurring payments. Transaction rates are also competitive and its tight integration with FreshBooks made the decision easy for us. I would gladly recommend FreshBooks as an invoicing system to any small or medium sized business!

Pros: * Ease of Use
* Payment processing options
* Recurring fee options
* Support - top notch!
* Cost

Cons: * Reporting - though great it could be more robust
* Features - I would love to see more active feature development from FreshBooks

• Reviewed on 2017/01/09
Daniel W.
Pharmaceuticals, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/12/30

"Freshbooks has been a great fit for running my consulting business"

Comments: Freshbooks is rock-solid and a core business platform for me. I recommend the platform frequently to my business colleagues.

Pros: - Very modern and navigable interface.
- Lots of flexibility for different project types and client types.
- Regular updates to the feature set.
- Good reporting and integrations with other tools.
- Excellent timetracking through invoicing through payment life cycle.
- Excellent expense tracking and pass-through tracking to invoices.

Cons: - Doesn't generate a Schedule C.
- Doesn't keep time entries linked to invoice line items. I would like to be able to generate a report that pulls the number of hours worked linked directly to the $'s generated. Time entries are converted into invoice line items at the time an invoice is generated, but the linkage back to the original time entry is not preserved.

• Reviewed on 2018/12/30
Andrew S.
developer
  • Reviewed on 2017/11/14

"Very pleased with the ease and speed of use"

Comments: The ability to quickly invoice clients, without messing up the formatting, enabling me to get my invoices paid quickly.

Pros: I use Freshbooks to invoice clients, and it's a breeze. The user interface is as clear as you can get, and even the first time I jumped in ages ago, it was obvious what everything did, how to create an invoice, how to send it, etc. The software makes creating the invoice and adding line items very easy, and you're able to send it quickly, with a minimum of fuss. My clients have always paid quickly, and I know I've heard that sending invoices via Freshbooks helps with this - people are used to receiving invoices from them, and that tends to make them pay faster apparently. There's a feature to automatically remind clients, which sounds very useful. Although I haven't had to use it personally, the ability to send an automated reminder without having to sit there and type an email and try to find the exact right wording, etc, seems like a killer feature.

Cons: I haven't run into any real problems with Freshbooks at this point. I guess the one thing that has happened was that the first time I used it, I accidentally left a "Pay via Paypal" button clicked (or perhaps clicked it myself?) and I'm not sure exactly how this is displayed when the client sees it, but they took it as me saying "Please use Paypal" - which is definitely not my preference. That problem was easily solved with an email from them to me, and I have made sure not to click that button since.

• Reviewed on 2017/11/14
Karen D.
Purchasing Manager
  • Reviewed on 2018/07/06

"Convenient and simple!"

Pros: Freshbooks is great for small businesses and people doing self-employed/freelance work. It makes it super easy to track time, expenses, and revenue, as well as send invoices and receive payments. There is also a mobile app to track time and input expenses/receipts on the go. In addition, the expense report and profit and loss make tax season a breeze. Overall, Freshbooks makes accounting straightforward and stress-free.

Cons: You can't have any duplicate invoice numbers, which is very frustrating after an invoice has been deleted. If you delete an invoice and then want to reuse that invoice number (so all your invoices are sequential and not skipping a number), you must undelete the original invoice, change the invoice number, delete it again, and then change your new invoice to the original number. It's just a lot of extra steps that could be avoided if duplicates were allowed only for deleted invoices.

• Reviewed on 2018/07/06
Virtual Assistant
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/20

"Indispensable as first time freelancer"

Comments: Overall, it is an excellent value to me for the money, and I cannot imagine ever freelancing/contracting without it! When I was just starting out (and several of my clients knew that), they have frequently commented on the polish & professionalism of my branded, detailed invoices. What they don’t know is that fresh books did almost all the heavy lifting for me! I have peace of mind and confidence as a solopreneur that I never though I could have at such an affordable rate.

Pros: Time tracking (including a timer to be “on the clock” for clients as needed) & invoicing/payment tracking.

Cons: I would love for the timer to be able to “pop out” and be it’s own window. I frequently have clients say “could you take 20 minutes and research XYZ” and so having the visual of time-passing would help me keep from going down the rabbit hole!
It would also be nice if the timer could have the option to count down with an option for an audible alarm. Several of my clients request hours per day from me, and so it would be amazing to just set focus blocks that would “ding” me back to reality once the time had passed and remind me to check in.

• Reviewed on 2020/10/20
Drew T.
Chief Executive Officer
Online Media, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2016/11/18

"Chief Executive Officer"

Comments: I've been using FreshBooks for the past four years and love it. FreshBooks integrates with my payroll and project management systems. The only feature I would like is to set late fee terms per client. I have some clients that need net45 and some net30 while other I want to set to net5. I'd also like to see early pay discounts as a feature eventually. I haven't been migrated to the new FreshBooks yet, but everything I see makes me excited!

Pros: Ease of use. I can add invoices, pay, and estimate very quickly.

Cons: Sometimes my clients don't get the emails notifications and I have to remove fees and manually adjust invoices. I have a few clients I have to send followup emails to ensure they know about the invoice.

• Reviewed on 2016/11/18
Sarah C.
Management Consulting, Self Employed

"Happy User"

Comments: Very pleased

Pros: The platform operates as multiple platforms, such as accounting, time and project tracking.

Cons: Cant think of anything that I don't like

Stuart T.
  • Reviewed on 2020/03/15

"Wonderful Experience using FreshBooks"

Comments: I've really enjoyed using Freshbooks and will continue using it for time to come. I do hope they include a chat option that would make queries a lot simpler and quicker. Overall I would recommend this software to others.

Pros: I've used Freshbooks for a number of years and it's suited me and I've become used to the interface. I run a small business and the client portal is very impressive, I do like the flexible billing options. My monthly accounting has become a breeze and I have no complaints about the customer support.

Cons: I have had times where I've logged in and my bank account isn't linked or working correctly which has been frustrating. I do wish Freshbooks would cater more for the South African market.

• Reviewed on 2020/03/15
Matthew L.
Owner's
Internet
  • Reviewed on 2016/12/12

"Great, simple solution for entrepreneurs"

Comments: I am a big fan of FreshBooks. I used to use a different software and I was constantly getting bogged down in it and forgetting how to do what should have been simple tasks. Then I tried FreshBooks and found it extremely easy and intuitive to use while doing most tasks. When I have occasionally been unsure how to do something, I have called their technical support and have always been impressed. No automated system to go through and the person that answers the phone can actually answer my questions. The software does have a few limitations like I wish the estimate form was more flexible and I wish I could set rates for myself and my subcontractors on a per client basis, but overall it works great for me.

Pros: Ease of use
Technical support

Cons: Inflexible estimate form
More flexibility in setting rates

• Reviewed on 2016/12/12
Sursh P.
Freelancer
Computer Software, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/06/12

"Accounting is fun with FreshBooks"

Comments: Overall Experience is good and This software gives me good reporting options, simple handling, and clear format to expend our Accounting details.

Pros: This software helps us to do all our Accounting Entries like Expenses, Sales, Purchase & Overall Organisation requirements.  It is excellent in terms of reporting.  I give a full 5 stars to this software and recommend it to all my clients.

Cons: I love this software because 1. It saves more time.
2. It gives a Perfect report.
3. It is very user friendly

• Reviewed on 2020/06/12
Nathan H.
Web Designer
Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/25

"This was an amazing choice over QuickBooks!"

Comments: Very positive. It was easy to setup and use.

Pros: We loved the pricing structor and the ease of use compared to other products. We loved being able to send invoices online and not have to worry about collecting money in person.

Cons: We loved most of what this software had to offer. I can't think of much that was a con.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/25