About Itemize

Fast receipt scanning and easy expense reporting on the go or in the office. Don't settle for standard. Itemize.

Learn more about Itemize

Pros:

Not only can I store my receipts digitally, without worrying about keeping the paper copy, but I can also save them on the Cloud and access them from any device.

Cons:

Longer receipts can be a pain to get to scan, and the app does freeze up and close on it's own every so often causing slightly more work.

Itemize ratings

Itemize has an overall rating of 4.3 out 5 stars based on 272 user reviews on Capterra.

Product Rating

Product Rating

Usage

Sort by

Have you used Itemize before?

Arshard A.
Arshard A.
Chief Accountant in Sri Lanka
Accounting, 11-50 Employees

The best finance manager

5 3 years ago

Comments: When trying to handle year end taxes Itemize can come in handy. every transaction is stored in your personal folder, which comes in handy use when generating reports. Also, you can store all your receipts hereafter, there is no fear of losing any or hoarding a 100s of papers anymore. This makes finance managing very easy.

Pros:

I need not save a bunch of receipts anymore for any unpredictable situations. I can just save it in the app, and if ever needed I can show use the pictures to show in stores and exchange my orders etc. Managing the expenses have become easier as I can enter the pictures easily into the expenses log.

Cons:

The app sometimes crashes, which though is not a major drawback sometimes can be frustrating especially when you are in a hurry. And the categories are preset, sometimes we the users might prefer adding in their own categories.

Ike P.
Ike P.

How did i live without Itemize?

5 6 years ago

Comments: I am using the Itemize App to capture any and all my expenses.
i take a picture of the receipt and ...bingo it creates a record for me and translates the image into the data record in seconds. Amazing. sometimes i may enter the project that it is related to. for me it saves many hours of organizing my expenses. at the end of the month I print a detailed report for my CPA. and i am done. no limitation on the number of items i capture. i also log my mileage for tax/exp reporting. in addition credit card receipts are automatically added to the Itemize App. all of this for about $100 ANNUALLY. it saves me ten times in hours and mistakes and frustration.

Pros:

easy to instal, a pleasure to use, reliable, AI technology, responsive customer service. flexible for multiple levels and variations of reporting. no limitation on quantity and size for one flat fee. most advance features of it kind. Reporting function may be done also from the PC.

Cons:

unlimited reports but reporting function initiation should be more uniformed.

Itemize Corp. Response

5 years ago

Thanks for the great review! Please feel free to reach out to us at [email protected] for future any suggestions or questions you may have!

Brooke S.
Senior Software Engineer in Australia

I reviewed 3 receipts scanners. I liked Itemize, but the claimed emailing of receipts didn't work

3 4 years ago

Comments: Well it did scan and classify quite well. So I benefited by getting good electronic receipts.

Pros:

I started trialing 3 receipt scanners + accounting view of data. Itemize is one of the best at scanning and classification. Easy to use and quite light so started quickly. I've taken a quick look recently after stopping using it, and the ability to query seemed to be VERY good. I like it a lot.

Cons:

One of my requirements was to be able to email receipts. Itemize claimed to have 2 ways - monitored email account and email to a given address. Neither work. I tried over many weeks and emailed support without response (they however had replied quite well to other requests). I was trialing 2 other receipts apps which did work as advertised and I didn't have any more time or energy to put in to Itemize. I've now been scanning receipts in to the 2 other apps for 6 or so months and don't want to abandon all that data. So I will not be returning to Itemize. However I recommend any new users to give Itemize a go and test if the emailing functionality works.

Chris C.
Chris C.
Administrative Support in US
Airlines/Aviation, 11-50 Employees

Itemize review

4 3 years ago

Comments: Our accounting department has used this product extensively to save us time as we go through invoices. We no longer need to have an associate enter every invoice we have. We are able to significantly cut our time on this task.

Pros:

This software helps parse data from receipts, invoices, and the like, and I love that there is a software that can do all of this automatically for me.

Cons:

The API has caused some issues for our company, but we have been able to get great help from customer service, and our IT personnel have been able to quickly implement their assistance.

Mathy W.
Mathy W.
Flying Giraffe Travel, Oasis/Palm Coast Travel, a member of Signature Travel Network in US

Getting me organized with ease.

5 4 years ago

Pros:

The ease of use is wonderful and it has enough options for me to keep track of business, personal and charity spending.

George O.
George O.
Architecture & Planning, Self Employed

Itemize review

5 3 years ago

Pros:

It is very easy to use especially with it finding catagories and allowing customizing such as adding tips to restaurants. Works good come tax time. Photoraphing receipts is easy.

Cons:

Finding my local credit union would help speed up the recording of the transaction.

Chief Transformation Officer in US
Financial Services, 501-1 000 Employees

Good app to track expenses

4 3 years ago

Comments: The concept/app is very good, but need to improve the use for multiple countries

Pros:

Great ACR capabilities, so identify most of the texts of the invoices.

Cons:

Multi currency/countries does not work well. Do not have a favorites countries/currencies list so it is hard to add bills of other countries. Bug adding bills manually.

Ramon V.
Ramon V.
Real Estate Agent in US

I like the app and use it to help me be more efficient with my time.

4 4 years ago

Comments: Efficiency and productivity

Pros:

I like the ease of taking a photo of my receipts and having the app autofill the vendor and amount.

Cons:

I do not like not being able to select pre-determined categories. I'd like a way to have a drop down of available categories to choose from.

Daniel L.
Daniel L.
Owner in US

Great concept, but definitely needs some work to be a great product I would recommend

4 4 years ago

Comments: When it works properly it makes accounting for my construction business quite easy. Unfortunately it has a tendency to be rather glitchy and doesn't actually export all the data that I input when scanning receipts which is frustrating.

Pros:

The ability to code receipts to different jobs as well as the ability to add activity codes to each receipt

Cons:

Activity coding is a good idea but the data downloads dont take any of the activity data so its ultimately not useful.

Ivor G.
Ivor G.
Manager in Australia
Construction, 1 001-5 000 Employees

Thanks to Itemize

4 3 years ago

Comments: It costs money and isn’t cheap, but it works for me and I can claim it back next year.

Pros:

It means I don’t need to keep each receipt when I purchase work related items, just create a custom search and in a second the report is there, with receipts too if you want them

Cons:

That I have to manually create a report for the financial year

Paul B.
US
2-10 Employees

Itemize is pretty good

4 5 years ago

Comments: Had some customer support issues when they were transitioning me from the original version to the new one and they weren't as responsive initially. It got better and the people I did talk to to get my account fixed were friendly and helpful. App itself is pretty good though it does have the capability to freeze up on occasion when trying to save a receipt. Don't love the subscription model, but it is what it is. I wish that Itemize would do better at automatically categorizing charges that are processed through Square, PayPal, etc when I forward the email to them. They don't track it back to the vendor, but instead it gets listed as Square/PayPal/other payment processor. It's funny because I forward my Itemize invoice that comes via email, and Itemize doesn't even recognize that it is an Itemize bill. Anyways, I think there is room for improvement, but it mostly serves my purposes pretty well which is saving my receipts for my business and categorizing them.

Pros:

Quick, much better reading capability (OCR), pretty simple.

Cons:

Recognize the emailed payment processing better -- so we see the actual vendor and not "Square". Wish there was a little more reporting/summarizing capabilities.

5 years ago

Thanks for the great review. Unfortunately with the automatic processing on digital receipts, we have to use the email address and logo from the original e-mail forwarded, this is something we hope to change in the future. Please feel free to reach out to us at [email protected] if you ever run into any issues!

Henry H.
Financial services professional in US
Financial Services, 10 000+ Employees

Set your Business straight for year in taxes

4 5 years ago

Comments: Your HELP HAS ARRIVED! Every year business owners scramble to put together year end summaries for taxes. Using the Itemize App. as a tool for preparing year end taxes is just like having a CPA year round. Itemize will record file every transaction from a credit card or checking account and file away in your personal account for year end taxes. As a Financial Professional client meetings, meals and entertainment, car mileage, and fuel oil are all dedications and I need all the help possible keeping this organized!
Thank you Itemized!
Hank Alaska

Pros:

Organization of you business affairs

Cons:

Not having ability to access all credit cards makes, like Cabela's VISA, Sears Citibank

5 years ago

Thanks so much for the great review, we have noted the additional requested credit cards and check in about adding them! If you ever have any suggestions or questions in the future please reach out to us at [email protected]

Sonu B.
Business Systems Analyst in US
Financial Services, 1 001-5 000 Employees

Excellent financial tracker

4 5 years ago

Comments: Love the ease of use and functionality that this app offers. Keeps all of my information in one place and makes it quite easy for access when needed. Will recommend to all. Worth the money.

Pros:

Easy to use and access.

Cons:

Crashing at times.

5 years ago

Thanks for the great review! We have recently released our most stable build to date so we hope that you do not experience any future crashing issues. We have noted your suggestions on the receipts and will add them in for future development. Please feel free to contact [email protected] for any questions or suggestions you have in the future!

C lynn M.
IT Tech in US

This app has saved me so much time!

5 4 years ago

Pros:

1. Never have to look for a receipt again 2. Stores accept pictures of the receipts for returns 3. End of the year report for tax purposes - The is has saved me HOURS of year end time when doing my taxes

Cons:

1. Categories - wish I could just make my own and delete the other ones 2. Sometimes it's slow to connect to server so it takes a while to update my database. 3. Wish I could set up auto reports - where it would send them to my email monthly, yearly.

Gregory M.
Finishing Process Engineer in US
Industrial Automation, 2-10 Employees

A descent app.

4 3 years ago

Comments: Generally, I never have time to fill out a form and/standard expenses report.
This is the only stand alone app that effectively allows me to log, organize and generate reports in a short time.

Pros:

The easy way to photo record my receipts. The ease of creating and emailing my reports

Cons:

1st, the application lacks in finding certain types of vendors. Not a lot of info in the provided lists to easily pic out the correct vendor. Especially with gas stations that have multiple locations in one community. 2nd, you don't allow for enough Tag entries. I'm a road sales guy and usually see more that 4 clients in one trip.

John C.
John C.
Evangelist in US
Religious Institutions, Self Employed

Awesome program for those self employed

5 5 years ago

Comments: As a traveling evangelist, I cannot keep files with me at all times. Itemize has helped my expense tracking majorly. I can take a photo of my receipt, categorize it and move on. And, come tax season I can quickly and easily run reports for my deductions. I highly recommend it for anyone who constantly finds themselves spending hours tracking paper copies of receipts and then spending countless hours at tax season calculating. The price you pay for it is way less than you'd pay an accountant and the savings in deductions make the program pay for itself.

5 years ago

Thanks for the great review and we are so happy to hear you are enjoying the Itemize product! Please feel free to reach out to us at [email protected] if you ever run into any issues!

Ryan G.
Entertainment, 11-50 Employees

Great for teams and business owners

5 5 years ago

Comments: I can't save a receipt to save my life and I keep getting scolded by my accountant. Even more difficult is getting the rest of my team to save theirs since they use company credit cards. With Itemize, it's easy for us to remember and actually save the receipts. I also love that my accountant can pull up everyone's in one place. Great product, we'll continue to use.

Pros:

Ease of use, makes not saving receipts inexcusable.

Cons:

Initial setup required a scanned agreement, felt outdated for an app. I'm sure that's been resolved.

5 years ago

Great to hear you are pleased with your Itemize experience! If you ever have any problems, please reach out to us at [email protected] and we will be happy to help you!

Lauren K.
Sales Manager in US
Education Management, Self Employed

Easy to get organized

5 5 years ago

Comments: Love the ease of uploading receipts. Wish the interface for tagging was a little easier. I have multiple businesses. I haven't yet figured out how to categorize per business. I also haven't figured out yet how to create categories to track spending. That would be a cool addition! (Maybe that capability is already there and I just haven't found it yet.)

Pros:

It is really simple and easy to upload receipts.

Cons:

I want more flexibility in usage. I would like to be able to designate receipts to more than one business. I would also like to utilize this app simply as a way to track spending in categories.

5 years ago

Thanks for the great review! I have noted your suggestions and will send them to our development team! Please feel free to contact us at [email protected] with any future questions or suggestions!

Lai p R.
President in US
Hospitality, 2-10 Employees

General Receipt Records

4 5 years ago

Comments: Use program solely for recording receipts at time & convenience of recording to expense categories is adequate for the needs. Anymore complicated than that have not explored.

Pros:

Convenient at time to quickly take copy of receipts log into expense category

Cons:

The system shuts down often

5 years ago

Thanks for the great review! I have noted your suggestions and would love additional input as to what you mean on "picking up categories off sales receipts" as our system should be identifying categories of all known merchants in our system. Please contact us at [email protected] with additional information!

Robyn P.
UK
Used the Software for: Not provided

Stop fiddling

4 5 years ago

Comments: I think the software has real potential. It's lighter than the others and has all the right ingredients. I feel that the user experience could be less 'windows' and more 'mac' like. The drop down boxes are clunky and one step too many. Why do they have to be hidden when they need engaging with ? The app should be reliable and not as far away from the computer as it is and I think that the changes you make behind the scenes should be made public rather than just doing them. I don't understand why it took so long to get the save tags function working again when we rely on this thing working and no one kept us informed. I like itemize very much and I want it to succeed but that tag issue was nearerly the end !

Pros:

Ease of use

Cons:

User interface could be so much slicker

5 years ago

Sorry to hear about the issue with the tagging and we are happy to tell you that tags are working now! Thanks for the review and as always feel free to reach out to [email protected] if you have any questions or suggestions!

Brent B.
Regional Sales Manager in US
Environmental Services, 11-50 Employees

Very easy to use and inexpensive!

4 5 years ago

Comments: For the most part, Itemize is exactly what I need and also my company. We are pretty small right now and the expense reports that I generate from Itemize look neat and very professional. I would like to see a larger camera area because I always have to use widescreen function all the time to make sure I capture the entire image but it's definitely not a deal killer. I'd definitely recommend Itemize for your expense reporting. I've used other products that cost more in the past and you don't get what you pay for like you do with Itemize!

Pros:

1. Ease of use 2. Cost to features ratio 3. Professional looking 4. I like the fact it pulls receipts from my email and automatically inserts them. 5. Can complete my entire expense report on my I phone

Cons:

1. Would like to learn more about the camera feature. I've had to retake receipt photos because it didn't capture the whole image like it seemed.

Christopher S.
Vice President in US
Construction, 11-50 Employees

Great way to save time and money

4 5 years ago

Comments: We utilize itemize for our construction receipts and it has worked great to save time from getting the information easily from the field to the office. This was well worth the investment.

Pros:

The easy user interface that accurately codes all of our receipts and POs.

Cons:

We really wish that the software could export information directly into Quick books Contractor version.

5 years ago

Thanks for the great review! We will look at the Quickbooks Contractor version and see how we can better integrate with that software. Please feel free to contact us at [email protected] with any future questions or suggestions!

Edward W.
Sales representive in US
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees

I enjoy the use of this app

4 5 years ago

Comments: I have used it for over a year there are things i like and things are a little chunky that could work better like reading the tip on the reciept
If its clearly written in the right place.i do love i just take a picture and its there that part id great i would like a month review that i did bot havd to retrieve if it was email you print out keep the months then uou have the whole year. Instead of all the filters.

Pros:

Picture ability

Cons:

Need less filters and more main stream Monthly account sent to email

5 years ago

Thanks for the great review! We are actually rolling out a monthly report mailing e-mail starting early November, keep an eye on your inbox! Please feel free to reach out to us at [email protected] for future any suggestions or questions you may have!

Herbert B.
Retired Chief Information Officer in US

Been longing for you!

4 5 years ago

Comments: Great tool! Had a few kinks in the beginning with totaling, but they were resolved. I would love to be able to add check deposits. I use it to keep track of expenses as well as deposits. It is my ACCOUNTING software. I see so much potential with this tool. Would be nice to add manual expenses as well. Perhaps that's available in an upgrade Version. I don't know. Anyway, I love it. It is much, much better than manual entries all the time. And pretty accurate. I''m impressed!

Pros:

It's pretty accurate and easy to use.

Cons:

Can't capture check or money order deposits. Have to manually manipulate entry to appear as a deposit. My deposits are not factored into the totals.

5 years ago

Thanks so much for the great review! If you ever have any suggestions or questions in the future please reach out to us at [email protected]

David L.
Sales in US
Apparel & Fashion, 201-500 Employees

Itemize

5 3 years ago

Comments: With a full year experience overal it’s pretty good way to keep track of receipts and spending. In the end for taxes you will need to roll up the sleeves a bit and dig through the overal spending info.

Pros:

I liked the ease of tracking my spending receipts. This helped with tax time and speeding up my return process. I liked the fact it saves the receipts so I didn’t need to.

Cons:

It didn’t break it out in a spread form that was easy to read and is costly.