Rain POS Reviews

by Rain Retail Software

• Overall
    4,3 /5
    4,2 /5
    4,4 /5

About Rain POS

Enter information once and your POS, website, and mobile site update in real time. Unlimited registers, products, and customer service.

Learn more about Rain POS

Daniel P.
Sporting Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/02/16

"Pinewski's Ski & Board Shop"

Comments: We have been with rain for several years now and have been very happy with the ease of use of our POS system. The professional handling of all our questions and needs, and their customer service, has been second to none. We are continually learning as Rain continues to improve the functionality of their program. We would rate Rain as a top notch program.

Pros: simple to use, but yet has the ability to fulfill all our POS needs.

Cons: the inability to make corrections to mistakes without contacting Rain i.e. reversing voids, having voided sales show up on my daily sales reports, and the customer history shot;ld show open sales and or on account sales as a different color or as an open sale rather than completed sale.

• Reviewed on 2017/02/16
Sherry M.
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/16

"Calico Cupboard"

Pros: I was using another online web service when I heard about Rain (Like Sew). I like what they were offering and the price was great compared to what I was paying. We signed up in 2013/14 and have not regretted it for a minute. I love being able to see what inventory we have, what our customers are buying, being to look back and tell a customer what a fabric was that they purchased.

Cons: There are always features and issues that could be improved upon but right now I'm happy with what we have.

• Reviewed on 2020/12/16
Todd K.
  • Reviewed on 2017/02/15

"User friendly POS/Website for a small business."

Comments: Rain POS has allowed me to present the entire inventory of my retail shop available online. When photos for my items are not available from vendors, I snap a few with my iphone and they are uploaded in seconds.
I am not a computer tech by any means, but have found making changes to my site an easy task. When in doubt I find one of the helpful webinars and by he end of the viewing I am comfortable tackling the next task.
Customer service has been prompt and thorough. I have not had to call often, but when I do the matter is resolved within minutes. This is a plus as I typically operate my shop alone.
Recently I realized that I was not utilizing the SEO portion of Rain to it's fullest potential. My google placement was lagging back on pages 4 to 7. I spent 3 hours watching a webinar provided by Rain and spent a few weeks plucking away at my site. I am happy to say that 60 days later I am appearing on the first page of searches I deem important. One again I was able to accomplish this utilizing tools provided by Rain, not by paying an outside SEO company for this service.
Overall I am extremely happy with Rain and have recommended it to several other business in my area.

Pros: Ease of use even for a person not formally trained in computer technology.

Cons: Just a few small glitches here and there, but they continue to make improvements and they are quickly resolved.

Jeremy C.
Owner, COO
  • Reviewed on 2017/02/15

"The POS system that I was looking for."

Comments: I'm the owner of the NAMM 2015 & 2016 Top 100 Dealer, The Acoustic Shoppe in Springfield, MO. We tried the "big guy" of our industry, and found it to be outdated and not user friendly. After a year of attempting to get it up and running, we started looking for an alternative when we ran across RAIN POS. It feels like navigating a website through your browser so it was easy to learn. Within a little over one month we had our website built, products in our system, and were live with running transactions. I love that everything in in the cloud, so I can run sales in my parking lot, at festivals, trade shows, etc., or just access reports anywhere from my phone. Putting items on our website is just a button clicked, and inventory is shared online and locally so if I sell online, it's taken out of stock in my local system, and vise versa. So far customer support has been great to work with. We have run across a few minor bugs in the day to day use, but they are pretty quick at getting it straightened out. I'm sure it doesn't have all the depth of that other system, but I'm able to use it and they are adding features very quickly. We don't do rentals right now, so I can't say how well that part works. We do a lot of repairs, some sent off site, and the work order module works great for keeping up to date with the repair status. We're waiting on the Lessons module that we here is in the works, and a better way to handle consignments and trades. So far we are very happy with RAIN POS and our interactions with customer support. I highly recommend.

Pros: Ease of use, and integration with our e-commerce site.

Cons: There are a few features that I'm waiting on that will tailor the system more for the music industry.

Brenda A.
  • Reviewed on 2021/03/17

"Building my RAIN site"

Comments: I really LOVED the RAIN POS system. Unfortunately, my business went thru some major changes in 2019 leading up to 2020, so I had to disengage it from my site. If you are doing enough daily sales in a brick & mortar store, or even in a traveling store situation, it's a GREAT addition to your website. For me cost/value ratio wasn't efffective anymore.

Pros: I loved the fact that setting up a whole new website platform was done with another human on the other end of the telephone that actually cared, listened and created a useable website for my customers. Step-by-step instruction helped me, an average end user, be able to manage a highly professional looking website. The integration of product sku codes, inventory, customer tracking, re-order points, everything was top notch and an added value for the cost.

Cons: I would like to be able to take custom orders, invoice the customer, and have the customer be able to make payments/purchases with that option. The PayPal platform fills this gap for me, but I would prefer to use the RAIN payment system as it is more cost effective.

• Reviewed on 2021/03/17
James D.
  • Reviewed on 2018/07/29

"Really awesome features with some minor bugs"

Comments: Tech support has helped us so many times. First, they helped us figure out some of the features that we were not completely certain how to use. Then, when we encountered bugs, another quick call to Support and they had us back up and running within no time. I just wish that the program was not dependent on the internet. We’ve had a few times where the internet went out and we were not able to conduct business. This is not good, but it hasn’t happened too often, just enough to be mildly irritating.

Pros: This program is so easy to use, even for those who are not technologically literate. While we do not use all of the features, such as the rental option, we are really happy with the program. The fact that everything is stored in the cloud helps us when we are not in the store, such as with trunk shows. The tech support has been so helpful when we experienced bugs in the software, and they were very knowledgeable of the product. I have also found the SEO option of Rain, and we intend to utilize it to its fullest extent to promote our business and get our name out there.

Cons: There have been a few bugs in the software, but nothing that a quick call to support couldn’t fix. One thing that I did not like was when the internet went out. The fact that everything was based on the internet meant that we couldn’t use the cash register. This led to a loss of sales. Nothing too major, but it’s still significant. There should be a backup or a way to use the register when there is no internet connection. More traditional POS systems allow for use without internet, but for inventory reasons, something like Rain is required. Hopefully, they’ll release a version that stores a temporary backup on your system that updates the inventory once the internet is back up and running.

• Reviewed on 2018/07/29
Reeze H.
CEO/Designer
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2018/05/29

"Like-Sew websites have helped me build my online presence and streamline my business."

Comments: It was easy to use

Pros: It is easy to use and update, so I can create and modify my own products, and add products from the integrated industry catalogs. It provides me with useful information about my customers and sales transactions, data which really helps me keep and attract new customers. I especially like the batch product update feature so I can change a group of products at a time without having to individually update each product record. I have had good customer service, especially when there was a problem with the software. I have seen my sales grow and my professional online image enhanced. The cost is reasonable for my business so far. The video training is great and absolutely necessary to understand how to use the software efficiently. I also attended training at Fall Quilt Market which was excellent and highly informative.

Cons: I am disappointed that I am unable to integrate my email marketing with the website. In my opinion, The Marketing package is not as useful to online-only stores as it is to POS customers. The newsletter module is clunky and hard to work with. The email feature is useful, but since my email list is on a different service and not integrated, it is not as useful as it could be. It took awhile for my site to get up and running well, and to work out all the bugs. I had to be persistent in following up to get problems fixed and clear in my communication to be sure they understood what I was asking for.

• Reviewed on 2018/05/29
Max L.
Music, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/07

"Great for a music shop like us. Room for improvement but they're working on it"

Comments: Anyone who has migrated from one system to another knows how time-intensive and frustrating the whole process can be. RAIN's support team made the onboarding experience as painless as possible. Their support has continued long after the initial onboarding and I feel very confident in their ability to help us whenever we hit a roadblock and need help. It's also encouraging to see their development team constantly fixing bugs and rolling out new features. They are not the kind of company to rest on their laurels.

Pros: RAIN lives in the cloud and being able to access our POS from any device is a huge advantage over the POSs we were using before. The Rent-To-Own module helped simplify a very important part of our business. Integrating with REVERB has helped extend our e-commerce reach across the country. The user interface is clean and user-friendly; just what you'd expect from a modern cloud-based platform.

Cons: The marketing platform did not meet our expectations. The email marketing in particular is not up to what I would consider industry standard in terms of the template builder, contact management, scheduled emails, segmented lists, and analytics. We have since dropped that add-on and went with ActiveCampaign which is light years ahead.

• Reviewed on 2020/12/07
Mary virginia N.

"Love this system!"

Comments: I can get the reports I need and want. Tech support is wonderful. They are constantly updating and improving the software.

Pros: Product is very easy to use. It's nice that I can put items on my website right from the product page. Web page is easy to edit.

Cons: I wish there were more yarn and knitting notions vendors integrated into the system.

Ken M.
  • Reviewed on 2017/02/14

"Cloud computing with Rain POS... measure the risk"

Comments: It would have been helpful to know all the risks of a POS cloud based system along with the ongoing costs. I believe Rain could do a better job at explaining the great inconvenience of a slower internet connection and no connection problems.

• Reviewed on 2017/02/14
Karl M.
Production Manager/Designer
Sporting Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/03/20

"Rain Retail attempts browser-based POS, but it doesn't quite work."

Comments: I wish I could get some hours back that I spent entering new product variants. Antiquated desktop-based POS systems I've used in the past were far more functional and efficient.

Pros: The layouts were clean and simple. The customer support was generally responsive when we needed their help.

Cons: Adding new product variants was a herculean task. The browser-based architecture was a good idea but lacked the efficiency to make it responsive. Overall it was very laggy on all of our computers, new and old.

• Reviewed on 2020/03/20
Jan S.
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/30

"like sew"

Comments: Ease of communication

Pros: Check out and inventory is easier and employees caught on quickly

Cons: That not all companies are on board. It would be great if all companies (fabric and notions) were on board, Check in is so much easier

• Reviewed on 2020/01/30
Cheryl D.
  • Reviewed on 2021/04/27

"Issues"

Comments: Great help and support

Pros: Keeping track of inventory , able to make changes

Cons: Doesn’t always record fabric sales properly

• Reviewed on 2021/04/27
Sandra R.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2021/07/01

"My quilt shop website"

Comments: My team has been so impressive! Every one has been wonderful beyond any expectations! Thank you to each and every one of them!!!

Pros: I love that a team of experts got everything set up and ready to go for me. They walked me through every aspect of the process, and got everything ready to go live! These amazing professionals were patient and understood my level of ability. They helped with every aspect and answered all my questions, without hesitation. This has been a wonderful experience!!

Cons: nothing so far. It is a great product, and I am extremely satisfied.

• Reviewed on 2021/07/01
Henry M.
  • Reviewed on 2021/06/16

"Ok at first, but got worse"

Pros: We need the ability to sale fractional quantities of products and Rain allowed that. We liked having multiple users logged in at once. We only have one register, but someone could be logged in making quotes or receiving inventory.

Cons: The sending email address for receipts/invoices could not be changed and either went to spam or never arrived at all. They only integrate with one credit card merchant. Sales and profit reports are not calculated correctly. You can run those reports in two areas and the numbers don't match. You can't edit an invoice once it is saved. You can't setup custom payment methods. The cash till is always messing up. You can't setup customer groups for reporting or special pricing. You can't export all of your sales info and notes, so if you decide to move to another POS, you won't be able to have all of your past sales information.

• Reviewed on 2021/06/16
Tami C.
  • Reviewed on 2018/07/28

"Never worked, horribly inaccurate migration of sales history"

Comments: Unfortunately, all I got was a whole lot of wasted time and a loss of money for absolutely nothing. I really wanted it to work, and it might have, had they been able to migrate my sales history.

Pros: my contact was really nice.
I was very excited about the integration aspects of the software, unfortunately I was never able to use them.

Cons: I was initially assured our sales history could be migrated. Later I received an email saying it could not. I responded that was unacceptable and I did not wish to continue with the software. It is useless to us without it. I was reassured if I exported the data in the correct formats, it would work. We spent three days checking the data to assure a high level of accuracy and sent it in the requested formats. I was told the migration team would take care of the rest. Untrue. We spent weeks, rechecking the data which was horrifically incorrect. We sent several punch lists. Some of the errors were fixed but often we were told "we don't know why this is happening". Even simple yes/no columns in our spreadsheets were randomly incorrect. Were we told we would just have to manually check all the data; over 3000 customers and 19000 sales receipts. We worked for three months, 100s of hours and have never been able to go live due to all of the errors. I couldn't enter employees in the system without them being an administrator, which they classified as a "glitch" and told me to use a different computer than the one at work. I have desperately tried to get these issues corrected. When I requested a refund they said the fees were non-refundable after the migration is complete. My migration was never complete and I requested not to continue with them if they were unable to migrate my sales history, before they started the migration. This system did not work as advertised and sold to me.

• Reviewed on 2018/07/28
Roxanne H.
  • Reviewed on 2021/03/16

"Ease of Use"

Comments: The team at Rain are very responsive and helpful when I reach out.

Pros: As a not so tech savvy person, I found this software easy to learn and teach. I love the walk-thru education option and have used it many times.

Cons: Since I haven't been using it to its fullest extent, I can't really say that there is anything that I don't like about it.

• Reviewed on 2021/03/16
Jennifer T.
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/05/10

"Review"

Pros: Ease of use and customer service are absolutely superb.

Cons: Template choice for email marketing would really be nice

• Reviewed on 2021/05/10
Angel G.
  • Reviewed on 2021/07/22

"Easy to use"

Pros: putting products on the website was easy but switching where they go throughout the website is not

Cons: changing it sometimes it can be difficult to change the website.

• Reviewed on 2021/07/22
Daniel E.
Owner/Manager
Music, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/09

"Great at some things, not great at other things"

Comments: Generally okay. first line support staff is very helpful and relatively easy to reach. Sales staff makes lots of lofty promises that are slow to be fulfilled. Developers are jerks.

Pros: integrated POS and e-commerce website. web based makes it functional on any computer type. RTO module is nice.

Cons: Special Orders/Purchase Orders/Receiving Orders is grossly deficient. Reporting is not great. Prominent bugs in website text in regard to special characters. Lacks flexibility in some of the website design options. No rotation option for product photos. Label printing is terrible. No dimension option for shipping calculations.

• Reviewed on 2020/12/09
Chris D.
Sales Manager
  • Reviewed on 2021/05/04

"A lifesaver during COVID-19"

Comments: Relatively easy to implement and the support staff helped with all the snags along the way.

Pros: Rain and the integration with Reverb was the number one factor in our ability to stay in business in 2020 and going forward.

Cons: Some updates can be slow to roll out and these can be on critical issues.

• Reviewed on 2021/05/04
Steven C.
Vice President
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/08/10

"Great POS"

Comments: We have been with Rain POS from the beginning and the improvements have been great. Customer service is very good. Very pleased overall.

Pros: Very easy to use and get employees up to speed quickly. Lots of features to improve sales and inventory control.

Cons: All the features can be a bit overwhelming at first but if you start with the basics, its easy to add additional features as you go along.

• Reviewed on 2018/08/10
Kim S.
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/17

"Rain Point if Sale has taken our small business to the next level!"

Comments: Rain Point of Sale has allowed us to expand our online sales exponentially, and allowed our inventory to be accurate and dependable. It is a huge reason why our business has flourished in the last two years!

Pros: I am super happy with how my point of sale is integrated with my online sales and inventory. The product is easy for staff to understand and navigate, and errors can be corrected when necessary. The ability to access the software remotely is a huge plus, I can keep track from anywhere, or assist staff with sales or inventory when I am not in the building. The reports are easy to access, and accurate for accounting purposes, and provide us with the tools we need for planning for the future. The customer service is amazing, and I have always been able to solve any problems I’ve had with one phone call!

Cons: We are Canadian site, and the cashing in procedure does not allow us to use our coins, and therefore we don’t use the cash in/cash out component. That is my only complaint!

Travis T.
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/19

"Excellent for Music Stores!"

Comments: Overall we have been extremely pleased with our choice to switch to Rain in 2018 for our point of sale and website. The product is incredibly user friendly, can be used on any device (not tied to a license on one desktop machine like other systems) and support is great. One area other shops have asked us about is QuickBooks exports. We don't use that much, but other stores seem to be very reliant on those exports, which they say are lacking in Rain. Again, not a direct complaint from me, but one that I hear about on industry forums & from direct messages. We were a somewhat early adapter of Rain in our industry and are relatively connected in our industry & repair organization, so we seem to field a lot of inquiries about the program. We have recommended the product to quite a few other shops and want to make sure that it fits their accounting needs as well.

Pros: We've had a great experience thus far using the Rain point of sale program. The initial training was extremely in depth and helped us grasp all of the features before implementation. We love the product integration with Reverb.com and the fact that our inventory remains cohesive across online and in-store platforms. Online & phone support is quick & helpful. Rain has also been very helpful designing and updating our website, which is tied into the point of sale. They are constantly improving, updating and listening to customer suggestions to make their product even better.

Cons: One feature that is extremely helpful in our industry (music store) but missing from Rain, is a Maintenance Agreement/Service Contract module. We were disappointed it was not available when we switched to Rain, since we used that feature daily with AIMsi. We have found some halfway workarounds in Rain, but would like a more robust integrated module. Ideal features would be: MA identifier on serialized instruments in Work Orders module, ability to auto-send renewal emails to customers when their annual MA is expiring, MA batch operations for large inventories of instruments (many of the schools we service have 200-400 instruments that we maintain on MA's annually).

• Reviewed on 2020/12/19
Roger N.
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/07

"Switched to Rain from Lightspeed"

Comments: Overall pleased with RAIN and glad we made the switch. A bit more thought into easier workflow within the Register, Special Order and LayAway screens and it will be a force to reckon with. I was hoping for an easier eCom experience, but that is not what I received. Much like other POS Systems that offer an integrated eCom Site...building out the site and making it look the way we want doesn't follow the basic HTML buildout process. As a web developer for over 20 years...I find the eCom platform to be VERY challenging to use and often times VERY discouraging. I can see they worked hard to have the functionality be similar to other CMS Website Platforms (Wix, WordPress, etc), but it's too confusing to navigate effectively taking up valuable time.

Pros: Integrated Marketing
Automatic "pushing" of items to our Reverb.com Account
Lightweight on system resources on our iMac's

Cons: Special Order Workflow is clunky and needs to be simplified. We've resorted to using the "Quote" option to better manage Special Orders and ring in total sales under a "Gift Card" first. That way when working with multiple vendors on a special order, we have easier use of customer funds when "finalizing" the deal.
Register is Average and would prefer ability to see cost of products on screen.
In Register - when scanning duplicate items they get entered as "new" line item versus adding to the SKU already input.
Can't us an IR Gun on an iPad when scanning incoming inventory or during inventory counts.
Layaway Screen has some great features, but workflow is a bit convoluted.
Website build out is horribly confusing and NOTHING follows traditional HTML processes. This was the same problem with Lightspeed's eCom platform - hard to work with and no sense of workflow.

• Reviewed on 2020/02/07