Rain POS Reviews

by Rain Retail Software

• Overall
    4,2 /5
    4,2 /5
    4,3 /5

About Rain POS

Enter information once and your POS, website, and mobile site update in real time. Unlimited registers, products, and customer service.

Learn more about Rain POS

Roger N.
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/07

"Switched to Rain from Lightspeed"

Comments: Overall pleased with RAIN and glad we made the switch. A bit more thought into easier workflow within the Register, Special Order and LayAway screens and it will be a force to reckon with. I was hoping for an easier eCom experience, but that is not what I received. Much like other POS Systems that offer an integrated eCom Site...building out the site and making it look the way we want doesn't follow the basic HTML buildout process. As a web developer for over 20 years...I find the eCom platform to be VERY challenging to use and often times VERY discouraging. I can see they worked hard to have the functionality be similar to other CMS Website Platforms (Wix, WordPress, etc), but it's too confusing to navigate effectively taking up valuable time.

Pros: Integrated Marketing
Automatic "pushing" of items to our Reverb.com Account
Lightweight on system resources on our iMac's

Cons: Special Order Workflow is clunky and needs to be simplified. We've resorted to using the "Quote" option to better manage Special Orders and ring in total sales under a "Gift Card" first. That way when working with multiple vendors on a special order, we have easier use of customer funds when "finalizing" the deal.
Register is Average and would prefer ability to see cost of products on screen.
In Register - when scanning duplicate items they get entered as "new" line item versus adding to the SKU already input.
Can't us an IR Gun on an iPad when scanning incoming inventory or during inventory counts.
Layaway Screen has some great features, but workflow is a bit convoluted.
Website build out is horribly confusing and NOTHING follows traditional HTML processes. This was the same problem with Lightspeed's eCom platform - hard to work with and no sense of workflow.

• Reviewed on 2020/02/07
Travis T.
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/19

"Excellent for Music Stores!"

Comments: Overall we have been extremely pleased with our choice to switch to Rain in 2018 for our point of sale and website. The product is incredibly user friendly, can be used on any device (not tied to a license on one desktop machine like other systems) and support is great. One area other shops have asked us about is QuickBooks exports. We don't use that much, but other stores seem to be very reliant on those exports, which they say are lacking in Rain. Again, not a direct complaint from me, but one that I hear about on industry forums & from direct messages. We were a somewhat early adapter of Rain in our industry and are relatively connected in our industry & repair organization, so we seem to field a lot of inquiries about the program. We have recommended the product to quite a few other shops and want to make sure that it fits their accounting needs as well.

Pros: We've had a great experience thus far using the Rain point of sale program. The initial training was extremely in depth and helped us grasp all of the features before implementation. We love the product integration with Reverb.com and the fact that our inventory remains cohesive across online and in-store platforms. Online & phone support is quick & helpful. Rain has also been very helpful designing and updating our website, which is tied into the point of sale. They are constantly improving, updating and listening to customer suggestions to make their product even better.

Cons: One feature that is extremely helpful in our industry (music store) but missing from Rain, is a Maintenance Agreement/Service Contract module. We were disappointed it was not available when we switched to Rain, since we used that feature daily with AIMsi. We have found some halfway workarounds in Rain, but would like a more robust integrated module. Ideal features would be: MA identifier on serialized instruments in Work Orders module, ability to auto-send renewal emails to customers when their annual MA is expiring, MA batch operations for large inventories of instruments (many of the schools we service have 200-400 instruments that we maintain on MA's annually).

• Reviewed on 2020/12/19
Kim S.
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/17

"Rain Point if Sale has taken our small business to the next level!"

Comments: Rain Point of Sale has allowed us to expand our online sales exponentially, and allowed our inventory to be accurate and dependable. It is a huge reason why our business has flourished in the last two years!

Pros: I am super happy with how my point of sale is integrated with my online sales and inventory. The product is easy for staff to understand and navigate, and errors can be corrected when necessary. The ability to access the software remotely is a huge plus, I can keep track from anywhere, or assist staff with sales or inventory when I am not in the building. The reports are easy to access, and accurate for accounting purposes, and provide us with the tools we need for planning for the future. The customer service is amazing, and I have always been able to solve any problems I’ve had with one phone call!

Cons: We are Canadian site, and the cashing in procedure does not allow us to use our coins, and therefore we don’t use the cash in/cash out component. That is my only complaint!

• Reviewed on 2020/12/17
Steven C.
Vice President
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/08/10

"Great POS"

Comments: We have been with Rain POS from the beginning and the improvements have been great. Customer service is very good. Very pleased overall.

Pros: Very easy to use and get employees up to speed quickly. Lots of features to improve sales and inventory control.

Cons: All the features can be a bit overwhelming at first but if you start with the basics, its easy to add additional features as you go along.

• Reviewed on 2018/08/10
Daniel E.
Owner/Manager
Music, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/09

"Great at some things, not great at other things"

Comments: Generally okay. first line support staff is very helpful and relatively easy to reach. Sales staff makes lots of lofty promises that are slow to be fulfilled. Developers are jerks.

Pros: integrated POS and e-commerce website. web based makes it functional on any computer type. RTO module is nice.

Cons: Special Orders/Purchase Orders/Receiving Orders is grossly deficient. Reporting is not great. Prominent bugs in website text in regard to special characters. Lacks flexibility in some of the website design options. No rotation option for product photos. Label printing is terrible. No dimension option for shipping calculations.

Roxanne H.
  • Reviewed on 2021/03/16

"Ease of Use"

Comments: The team at Rain are very responsive and helpful when I reach out.

Pros: As a not so tech savvy person, I found this software easy to learn and teach. I love the walk-thru education option and have used it many times.

Cons: Since I haven't been using it to its fullest extent, I can't really say that there is anything that I don't like about it.

• Reviewed on 2021/03/16
Tami C.
  • Reviewed on 2018/07/28

"Never worked, horribly inaccurate migration of sales history"

Comments: Unfortunately, all I got was a whole lot of wasted time and a loss of money for absolutely nothing. I really wanted it to work, and it might have, had they been able to migrate my sales history.

Pros: my contact was really nice.
I was very excited about the integration aspects of the software, unfortunately I was never able to use them.

Cons: I was initially assured our sales history could be migrated. Later I received an email saying it could not. I responded that was unacceptable and I did not wish to continue with the software. It is useless to us without it. I was reassured if I exported the data in the correct formats, it would work. We spent three days checking the data to assure a high level of accuracy and sent it in the requested formats. I was told the migration team would take care of the rest. Untrue. We spent weeks, rechecking the data which was horrifically incorrect. We sent several punch lists. Some of the errors were fixed but often we were told "we don't know why this is happening". Even simple yes/no columns in our spreadsheets were randomly incorrect. Were we told we would just have to manually check all the data; over 3000 customers and 19000 sales receipts. We worked for three months, 100s of hours and have never been able to go live due to all of the errors. I couldn't enter employees in the system without them being an administrator, which they classified as a "glitch" and told me to use a different computer than the one at work. I have desperately tried to get these issues corrected. When I requested a refund they said the fees were non-refundable after the migration is complete. My migration was never complete and I requested not to continue with them if they were unable to migrate my sales history, before they started the migration. This system did not work as advertised and sold to me.

• Reviewed on 2018/07/28
Jan S.
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/30

"like sew"

Comments: Ease of communication

Pros: Check out and inventory is easier and employees caught on quickly

Cons: That not all companies are on board. It would be great if all companies (fabric and notions) were on board, Check in is so much easier

• Reviewed on 2020/01/30
Karl M.
Production Manager/Designer
Sporting Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/03/20

"Rain Retail attempts browser-based POS, but it doesn't quite work."

Comments: I wish I could get some hours back that I spent entering new product variants. Antiquated desktop-based POS systems I've used in the past were far more functional and efficient.

Pros: The layouts were clean and simple. The customer support was generally responsive when we needed their help.

Cons: Adding new product variants was a herculean task. The browser-based architecture was a good idea but lacked the efficiency to make it responsive. Overall it was very laggy on all of our computers, new and old.

• Reviewed on 2020/03/20
Ken M.
  • Reviewed on 2017/02/14

"Cloud computing with Rain POS... measure the risk"

Comments: It would have been helpful to know all the risks of a POS cloud based system along with the ongoing costs. I believe Rain could do a better job at explaining the great inconvenience of a slower internet connection and no connection problems.

• Reviewed on 2017/02/14
Nate C.
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/16

"Make the switch to Rain!"

Comments: I also love being able to track repairs, replacing our previous hand written system. Priceless.

Pros: Having out POS integrated with our website and Reverb is key for us, especially during recent times of shut down.

Cons: At times the system has quirks that are an annoyance to the user and is a low priority fix for developers.

• Reviewed on 2020/11/16
Noel S.
co-owner
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/10

"Noel Saucedo Co-owner"

Comments: I have been a believer ever since i saw them at the Namm show.

Pros: The ease of this software is very important. Being a small business i really don't have an I.T department so you guessed it we all become the I.T department in our office. The templates are easy to fill out and get your online presence ready for your clients.

Cons: The con is not a Rain problem it's not having the time on our side to complete at this moment.

• Reviewed on 2020/11/10
Sharlene J.
Consumer Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/16

"Point of Sale"

Comments: Still waiting for someone to contact me to get BCM location set up

Pros: It is widely used in industry so should cover off the needs of a fabric store

Cons: It isn't easy to use and not functional or easy to navigate for green users

• Reviewed on 2020/12/16
Ande L.
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/22

"Our thoughts"

Comments: All sales were handwritten, on invoices and then transcribed to a database/ excel sheet for closing out a month; this has made this so streamlined.

Pros: The program is quite intuitive thus making it relatively easy to use. I like the fact that it is cloud based so we can add another register as needed during very busy times. Also the integration between the website and the POS is great for product inventory. General ease of taking physical inventory.

Cons: There are a number of small glitches - ways to accomplish tasks that are not thought all the way through. I get a listing of UPCs from a vendor with my new order of earrings, many are duplicates that we have had. We upload the entire list, the system is not able to recognize duplicates and combine them just keeps adding the new number making physical inventory a nightmare. Customer name search is an "includes" function instead of a "starts with" so an Andy pulls up Sandy, Candy & every Anderson, i no particular order.

• Reviewed on 2020/01/22
Miles S.
manager
  • Reviewed on 2018/02/09

"The future of how small businesses survive"

Comments: Using this system allows you to provide a customer experience on par with, or even better than, what is expected from a successful business in the 21st.

Pros: Feature laden! and they are still developing more music store specific features! One customer data base, one inventory database. Integrated POS system, integrated Wed Store, integrated repairs system. Then add on: integrated short term rentals, rent to own with auto pay, layaway, email marketing abilities, gift card ability, coupon ability, push products to Reverb ability, create and save quotes under a customer name, track store account balances and apply to transactions, purchasing lists by vendor populated with qty triggered items and with and easy receiving and item costs updating.
Outstandingly responsive customer service!

Cons: Still waiting on the private lesson feature =( But it is in development and it sounds like it will be finished Spring of 2018. Would be great to see invoicing against a quote so I could do school business with schools requiring a PO number on an invoice for payment.

• Reviewed on 2018/02/09
Carolyn I.
Education Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/09

"very good company to work with"

Comments: I love this company. I've been with them from their initial start in our field of music schools, and they have developed very quickly. They still have a feel of a small company, and I feel like if I need an aspect or tool developed, I have a pretty good chance of being heard and considered.

Pros: The comprehensive nature of having a website, an online store, a point of sale terminal, rental/rent to own terminal makes this a great foundational tool to work with.

Cons: I love the software, but calling customer support, I often get people who don't seem to enjoy helping me. I've had at least 2-3 calls to different technicians ag in a row where I just felt bad for even calling.

Ingrid L.
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/20

"I love Rain"

Pros: Rain POS has helped me run my business in many ways. Reports are very easy to understand and useful for book keeping and planning. Most of all I love the help Rain offers. They have always been there for me and are so nice, especially when trying to set up my website. I am not a computer genius and don't have to be because I use Rain. In recent events we had to start selling products through our web site. Rain was able to teach me over the phone how to set all of it up, I couldn't be more grateful.

Cons: Most of the time the things that I felt could be improved have been through updates like phone numbers showing on receipts. It shows that they do listen when we ask for improvements.

• Reviewed on 2020/10/20
Sondra K.

"We love RAIN POS"

Comments: RAIN was super helpful in transferring our data from our old POS system (TRS) to their system. It has been easy to train staff to use the system. And, RAIN is constantly improving the system by adding new features.

Pros: I love that RAIN POS is not only a point-of-sale system but also integrates with our website. It has been so beneficial to have our products listed and available or sale on our website. During the current pandemic, the website has helped customers discover our product offerings and made it easy for both shipping products and curbside pick-up.

Cons: I can't think of anything I like least!

Kathi M.
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/17

"Great POS platform - even for beginners! Not intimidating."

Comments: Inventory reporting, mainly. I just began using the Marketing module and so far, it seems like it will be a real winner and time saver for me!

Pros: I like the data capture feature and the real time aspect of the online merging with the B&M shop. Knowing that what my customer is seeing online is what is actually available is fabulous.

Cons: The sad lack of report query options, particularly in regards to my inventory. I can put notes in if I make an adjustment but can't ever see those notes again. That's a feature I've been asking for for years.

• Reviewed on 2018/06/17
Lori W.
General Manager/Owner
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2021/03/31

"Review of Rain POS for Quilt Shops"

Comments: Overall, I've been very happy with my experience and their software. Customer service has always been helpful if I had a question or issue. The software has integrated well with my QuickBooks software so that's been helpful as I'm learning QB. The efficiency I've gained by using this software versus going other routes has completely justified the value for me and my business.

Pros: Once you learn the system and features, it's pretty easy and intuitive. I like how integrated everything is - purchasing, receiving inventory, online and in-store transactions. Adding new products through almost any of my vendors is fast and easy.

Cons: The software is under constant development which is good, but also challenging. I like that they are continually working to improve the product, but it can be time consuming to keep up with constant changes.

• Reviewed on 2021/03/31
Susan H.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/08

"review"

Comments: I no longer complete paper tickets for customer purchases and then need to summarize for taxes.
At the end of a vending sale day, I know how we did with the push of a button.

Pros: end of day Reports and access to information about my inventory

Cons: lack of reports that can help with inventory report submissions to the state

• Reviewed on 2020/02/08
Rebecca M.
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/04/06

"Review"

Comments: Good

Pros: In store and online use. If someone buys something in store it is automatically removed from the website.

Cons: Unable to add shipping charges to individual items that are bulky

• Reviewed on 2021/04/06
Bill B.
  • Reviewed on 2016/09/07

"They promised me a rental solution at a discount since it wasn't done and i fell for it"

Comments: Dont touch these guys with a 1,000,000 ft pole. You might catch a money eating bug in my wallet. I closed my store making some money then wake up the following day to a bill for a system that didn't do except send me a bill for a service that wasn't completed and still isn't to this day. Don't fall for their sales pitch of the next great thing. Better to use Quickbooks than these guys.

Pros: Salesguys sound genuine but aren't

• Reviewed on 2016/09/07
Laura R.
Co-Owner
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/22

"Rain POS for Yarn Stores"

Comments: No point of sale system is perfect. But we are happy with the functionality and effectiveness of Rain. The fact that Rain is continually improving and updating their system has only increased our satisfaction over the years.

Pros: We have used Rain POS (Like Sew) for over five years and are very satisfied with it. We love that our website (recently upgraded by Rain) integrates with our POS, keeping our inventory numbers accurate. The Point of Sale is very user friendly. Reporting is decent. The website is simple to update.

Cons: While there are sometimes reporting issues or technical issues, Rain has an easy process in place to report problems online or by phone, and they are generally responsive in a timely manner. Rain also has a method to make suggestions on how to change or update the POS/website. I appreciate that they are willing to take our suggestions! I do wish there was a report for Items Received; it would be nice to be able to create custom reports. The only major issue we have with Rain is when the system crashes - either because our internet goes out (in which case we are able to use our iPads on cellular to ring up customers) or because Rain goes down. Luckily, this is very rare! And when it's Rain's issue, it is usually remedied quickly. Finally, it would be great if Rain integrated with Sage Accounting software. We have to manually transfer data from Rain's reports into Sage Accounting. This is time consuming.

• Reviewed on 2020/12/22
Lisa W.
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/08

"LikeSew works for my retail quilt shop"

Comments: The main reason I implemented the POS option was to help me with inventory control. Prior to using POS I didn't know how much inventory was in stock and therefore I was receiving orders for inventory that I didn't have.

Pros: I think the customer service is very good. Recently I wanted my homepage to be updated and revamped. They worked very quickly and efficiently with me to get give it a new look and within a few days I had a website looks very modern and professional. Also, I really like the marketing package. I used the POS for several years before adding the marketing feature. I like the automatic emails that it sends to my customers every week. Also, My website is easier to use from a cell phone now. It's worth paying the extra money for each month.

Cons: I do not like the way the inventory receiving works. It is supposed to be integrated with some of my vendors but doesn't seem to be complete or accurate. Also, I really wish that the email marketing was easier to use and more robust.