• Overall
    4,1 /5
    3,6 /5

About Deltek Vision

Project-based solution for PS firms that combines project accounting, resource management, project mgmt, time/expense and client mgt.

Learn more about Deltek Vision

Nereida B.
ANALISTA CONTABLE
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/26

"Important business data in real time."

Comments: I am using Deltek Vision to identify problems affecting the performance of our company and hinder the successful implementation of some projects. I am also taking advantage of useful features to improve performance and complete projects successfully.

Pros: What I like about Deltek Vision modules are purchasing and asset management because they allow me to track purchase orders and fixed assets; It helps me to get new business, improve performance and optimize the operations of our company.

Cons: For some people within the company's user interface it is not always so friendly and does not have much ability to change the screen size. In addition, it may not be ideal for companies that only require specific modules, since all the modules are included in the software.

• Reviewed on 2018/04/26
Tiyana L.
Vice President - HR
Environmental Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/20

"Vision to Vantagepoint"

Comments: We were using Excel for timesheets so having time and expense in one place and tying into our business process is wonderful. We also have the ability to get nice reports.

Pros: The software helps streamline some of our processes.

Cons: Not easy to navigate through CRM but here to learn.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/20
Environmental Consultant
Oil & Energy, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/16

"Time Sheet"

Comments: Easily grasped concepts to charge time and expenses for projects and clients.

Pros: Deltek Vision makes tracking and charging time easy and plane to see. User interface is seamless and very organized.

Cons: Can be overwhelming at first as its a very straight forward presentation of an interface, but quickly understandable.

• Reviewed on 2020/10/16
Kevin N.
Finance Director
Civil Engineering, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/03/07

"Comprehensive software solution, but plan on building your processes around it"

Comments: I've been the Vision champion in our organization since 2008 when we began to use it. Vision has been steadily improving over the past 10 years and also been getting left behind in innovation. Over our time with Vision we've evaluated other software at a few points and have not found a single solution that can provide a similar integrated experienced. The power of Vision and the reporting is built on Microsoft's SQL engine, but it does require users to be invested in learning it's use to get the most out of it. Without proper time devotion, training, and some trial and error it does leave users frustrated. Along with the power of the product comes a lot of over-complication and reported amounts that often aren't as expected or isn't fully explained or clear on where the data is coming from and what it means. This is probably the primary problem with Vision in my eyes - data labeled in one area of the program isn't the same as data reported under the same or very similar label in another part of the program. The end user experiences and ease of use is greatly lacking, but should be vastly improved as Vision is (finally) becoming modern and migrating from a .NET platform to a HTML/web-based platform. This upgrade shows promise of having better end user use and intuitiveness. We are hopeful that Vision will continue to be a tool for our company for many more years.

Pros: Powerful reporting and a mostly, all-in-one solution for managing our firm and projects

Cons: Usability. The lack of a user to be able to sit down with the product and pull the data they want without significant training. Data reported is calculated differently in part of the software - revenue in one area is actual billed amount while revenue in another is hours worked times billing rates.

• Reviewed on 2017/03/07
Elizabeth C.
architect
Architecture & Planning, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/09/16

"Adequate, reliable. Not as user friendly as others"

Comments: When using Vision, it was very adequate. However, now that I use Monograph, I see how much more capability Monograph has and how user friendly it is.

Pros: It does its job. It's reliable. It has functionality especially for management and accounting departments. Overall, it's a solid program with proven results and a user base that reinforces trust.

Cons: It's a bulky program compared to the web based program I use now. It wasn't compatible with some browsers so I had IE just for timesheets. User interface wasn't the most intuitive and customer service wasn't built in. Therefore I had to ask my accounting manager for her to contact customer service with questions.

• Reviewed on 2020/09/16
Jun J.
Accounting Manager
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/06

"Effective but not efficient"

Pros: It's a good tool to keep track of work-in-progress and everyday accounting transactions.

Cons: It's not so user friendly and not so efficient and expensive tool for the same things that can be done with Sage software.

• Reviewed on 2019/09/06
Ginger B.
Administrator
Civil Engineering, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/20

"Monopoly"

Comments: We've been doing business with Deltek now for around 20 years. If another software company develops a competitive product with full project basis accounting at a reasonable price, we'd probably switch, if they have a good customer service team. Nothing beats the ability to just pick up the phone and call.

Pros: deltek allows us to track our time and expenses on a project basis. We can achieve time tracking, billing, and General Ledger activities within one software.

Cons: Deltek Vision is built for large organizations. It is cumbersome in a small office setting to maintain all of the text libraries. The customer service requires that you submit a case online if you need assistance, and then wait for a response, which oftentimes is not timely.

• Reviewed on 2020/01/20
Ifeoma O.
Developer
1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/07/09

"Deltek makes us better manage project budget."

Pros: Deltek is easy to use ,thanks to the intuitiveness of its user interface.
In time past we overly expended on projects to the extent that we crossed project budgets ,and thereby missed key project milestones. Since switching to Deltek over a year ago ,we have been able to better follow through with project budgets without overspending.
Obviously having project planning, business development and Accounting together into one platform was very much helpful. We have been able to customize the Deltek Workflow to fit into the personal needs of my team ,thereby making much more effective.

Cons: From experience so far , Delteck Vision expense reporting is flawed in the area of mobility , receipt uploads ,and ease of customization.

• Reviewed on 2018/07/09
Daisy C.
Research & Sales Manager
11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/17

"I manage projects very easy"

Comments: Great!

Pros: It is a very good platform that allows us to keep up with our projects without any problem. I think the reports that this facilitates are very efficient and quite useful

Cons: between projects it is sometimes very difficult to differentiate between projects, that is, to separate work and make it look different from another project. But in general lines I have not had any problem

• Reviewed on 2018/04/17
Research Analyst
Civil Engineering, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/18

"It works, but isn't a great user experience."

Comments: It feels like software from the mid 2000s. It works, but is clunky and unpleasant. I find myself going through many unnecessary clicks to accomplish common tasks. E.g. When entering a comment for a task e, i need to type it, click in a separate comment box to ensure it's saved, and then only can I navigate away. I don't think they would be in business long if they launched today without their existing legacy user base.

Pros: It accomplishes the task it sets out to do. It logs time.

Cons: It has an outdated user interface, and the navigation is not well thought through.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/18
Rhonda L.
Manager, CRM Systems
Civil Engineering, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/06/27

"I'm a believer in Deltek Vision"

Pros: We use Vision for CRM and Proposals-Custom Proposals and Government forms. I love the connectivity between your firms, contacts with your opportunities and jobs. Using Vision enables us to store and retrieve our corporate history and the story of us...our projects, our people and our client relationships. I confess I am a power-user and have done most of the configuration to the system, so therefore understand it more than most others, but I can provide data of any kind from our system. We are integrated with a different accounting platform, so I can also provide up-to-date project reporting. We also use an intranet connector that makes our information easily obtainable/viewable through PC and mobile app (not the Deltek mobile app). I have used the Deltek Vision product since 2005 and had prior Deltek products since the late 1990's. Dewberry is a 2,000 person firm with 50 office locations in 18 states.

Cons: Although I live and breathe Deltek Vision, numerous people at our firm just can't grasp the details and complain that it is not user friendly. The learning curve seems slow for some people to overcome, actually many people, but once it's figured out, there seems to be high value in their usage. I like the custom reporting tool but my users find it so difficult that most refuse to use it. I think the most successful firms will have a Vision expert and a strong IT (SQL, reports) and application team on staff. If not, you probably would need a consultant. My team has been able to keep everything in house to date.

• Reviewed on 2017/06/27
David P.
Chief Financial Officer
Architecture & Planning, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2016/11/15

"Twelve Years as a Deltek User"

Comments: In 2004, the professional services firm I worked for was managing a $10M/year business using Quickbooks. It was clunky and problematic, with no real analytic capability (i.e., where and how were we making money). I investigated various solutions, and discovered Deltek Vision. We hired an outside consultant to install and configure Vision for us,and life changed. We suddenly had a true business management solution. As the CFO, I finally had a tool that could give me true insight into the underpinning of our business,and where were profitable (and where we were not). Two years later, at a architectural firm, I inherited Axiom Protrax, practically a DOS-based solution. I quickly tired of operating with a 20-year old platform, and advocated for Vision. Having experienced one implementation,I was not enthused with dropping $60K for an outside party to tell me what to do to configure the system. So, over three months,I single-handedly configured and implemented Vision at a 50-person architectural firm. And it has made all the difference. Vision has continued to grow, through internal development and outside acqusition, and through it all they have maintained a consistent look and feel to the product. Adding functionality without detracting from the user experience. And their customer support has remained top-notch. I love the quick chat. If I just have a quick question, I can go quick chat, and quickly resolve my issues. I love this produce, and it meets the needs of my business.

Pros: The user experience. The ability to customize the interface. The ability to quickly drill down into reports.

Cons: It is such a rich,deep product that some of its functionality remains unused.

Tony B.
Executive recruiter
Construction, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/03/08

"See your Vision with Deltek!!!"

Comments: This product is specifically designed to support the complete project lifecycle of professional services firms, Deltek Vision helps measure your most critical business functions. From pipeline building and client management to project execution and financial management, Deltek Vision users can experience measurable benefits immediately, including increased employee utilization, streamlined project management, reduced DSO and increased margins and profitability.

Pros: Deltek Vision's is a software solution that allows you utilize custom proposal modules and government forms modules to cut down on hours off of proposal preparation. Because Deltek is the "source of truth" for our employee history and project history we are able to easily and quickly pull information from Vision onto proposal templates in minutes. Pulling information from a centralized archive it gives our users confidence in the data, employee updates/feedback are made one time (in Vision) instead having to always start the process over whenever a new proposal document is presented to the employee and gives our marketing professionals the extra time needed to craft the proposal to meet the RFP and client requested information. We use Deltek Vision to support our Strategic Plan goal for the company growing and win more work!

Cons: The user interface is extremely difficult to get used to. Since we started using this software my group has received a lot of calls from people in my organization who are unsure how to do basic searches and will ask us for help/assistance because they'd rather not deal with it. The main thing that is not intuitive is its search function, which is critical.

• Reviewed on 2018/03/08
Susan M.
Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2018/01/10

"Used Vision's General Ledger primarily in my role to produce month end and year end financial stmts."

Pros: The general ledger was easy and logical for an accountant. The work breakdown structure allowed for reporting consolidated reports as well as subsidiary level, office level, and departmental reports. Vision handled large amounts of transactions and data efficiently. Vision offers functionality to do time sheets and expense reports remotely. Vision has great security features that can remove access to certain areas or information based on an employees role in the Company. It is easy to remove rights immediately when employees leave the Company. In addition, roles can control who can make changes or post transactions. Vision allows for automated reporting. For example, an Accounts Receivable report can be automatically sent to an employee's email on a scheduled basis.

Cons: The software is not logical for non-accountants. The software is primarily for A'E firms but very difficult for those users. Most of the engineers are unable to write and run project reports. When they do get a report, the report isn't easily understood. The software is difficult to support internally and requires a database specialist to get maximum value. Vision contains a massive amount of data but the canned reports do not always offer the different types of data in same report. Unless you can write custom reports, you will have to pay expensive consulting fees.

• Reviewed on 2018/01/10
Debra H.
Senior Staff
Architecture & Planning, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/11/07

"Searching for data results in quick results, good report generation feature, easy to edit."

Comments: Information about each project such as who is the PM, lead architect, lead accountant, project location, legacy data, status, etc. is essential to our business. We can easily search for all current projects in any city, state, province, country. Our PMs use this to keep track of payments, invoices, employees assigned to the project, budget data, and documents stored on our servers can be linked from within a record. We can view other projects for the vendor or client.

Pros: It allows me to have three databases open. In my case, Projects, Employees and Timesheets. It's great to toggle between them without having to log out and in again. Data retrieval is quick. It allows me to search for very specific information so my results don't overwhelm. Data access is controlled at the user level so people cannot edit fields without proper permission. Before Vision, we used a database that contained project numbers that were preserved in the Vision database. So if we need to look up project data based on the old number, we are able to. This saves us a lot of time.

Cons: It is difficult to learn this software on your own beyond searching. There are so many features that allow us to look at the data in several ways. Most of those ways are unknown to me so training is required. I would suggest that companies provide proper training before implementing it firmwide to avoid frustration.

• Reviewed on 2017/11/07
Imran S.
Senior Financial Advisor
Education Management, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/27

"A Fully Integrated Solution Software with Great Features"

Comments: Deltek Vision has a database where I can put all my information for each assignment / project. Deltek for me is a fully integrated service product that can provide Managers, Heads and other office staff detailed information about the financial status of any department or segment in real time.

Pros: Deltek Vision has easy to use tools that allow all the operators – from high level Managers to back office staff members the ability to view and understand where the company’s resources and project budgets stand at any given time. Deltek Vision allows a lot of customization and flexibility that can be very helpful for any individual in his company. One amazing feature is that Deltek Vision provides extensive functions of project management all in one single program like expense reports, budget planning, time sheets, auditing etc. Managing work utilization is very useful for me because a lot of my team members are spread in distinct locations throughout the country who are working on the same project.

Cons: A major flaw of Deltek is that the system's outlook is very outdated. I personally felt that Deltek Vision was lacking in the expense report department. Reports are very hard to export. Even so, when I export the reports to excel, the formatting is completely undesirable, and I must spend a few minutes to format them.

• Reviewed on 2019/03/27
Sandra S.
Chief Financial Officer
Civil Engineering, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/02/28

"Vision Review by Accounting"

Comments: Vision has good features and is lacking in some features. Vision used to be able to alphabetize A/R Statements when we initially started using it. Through upgrades, Vision lost that feature that we found valuable for our billing process. Vision is lacking in end of year reporting functionality. For example, end of year 1099 functionality is lacking. States require the account id assigned to companies to be reported on 1099s. Vision is currently unable to print accurate paper copies nor is it able to provide an accurate electronic file. Customer support was not able to help me and I had to manually edit the electronic file in order to have a 1099-MISC that would pass our state's criteria. Vision does not provide reporting for form 1099-INT which I need for reporting interest on shareholder payouts. Financial reporting is lacking some. Balance Sheets typically have Assets on page 1 and Liabilities and Equity on page 2. I have not found a way to easily achieve this with settings in Vision. I have employees that would like to be able to review their payroll withholdings and paystubs at any given time, but are not able to do that. At times, Vision is disappointing for the Accounting department. At other times, it is a rock star for us.

Pros: Integregrates the engineers project management with accounting reporting.

Cons: Payroll tax/End of Year Tax Reporting is lacking.

Jun J.
Accounting Manager
  • Reviewed on 2017/11/09

"Powerful yet not so user friendly."

Comments: Not so user friendly, too much steps to get one voucher in. Entering description is not so easy and flexible, keep getting too much error message.

Pros: Biggest help is that It has WIP feature where we can keep track or our work in progress without outsourcing to vendors. It offers full accounting functions.

Cons: In the reports, info are not easily accessible with clicking the items you want to see. VIsual weakness where it does not disclose all info in the window and cannot adjust borders left or right to fully expose all info...always need to use left and right scroll to enter or see the whole line.. voucher and invoice number too short, can't fit long numbers,
All the modules are not available...can't tell if other modules that we don't have licenses are useful to us or we need it if we don't know how it works or what it can do,,,,it doesn't give trial period like quickbooks or peachtree where we can test it for short period.
Reports are too much options but doesn't have options that allows us to see more clearly. Visual really too messy...would like to see simpler and clear reports.

• Reviewed on 2017/11/09
Rob W.
Accountant
  • Reviewed on 2017/08/31

"Could build an aircraft carrier with this software or use it to run a small destroyer, depending on your needs."

Comments: Overall as compared to the other 5 ERP systems I have used over the years I have to say Vision is one of the best out there, especially for project oriented tracking. Deltek is also a company looking for improvement and advancement within their programs. The new generation they are working on to Vision takes the program to a very modern and more robust place. Great things are coming!

Pros: Has the ability to be customized in many ways to improve functionality and process routine tasks behind the scenes with workflows. Great when you want scheduled reports to be pushed out to staff on a regular basis, can be either be emailed or sent to a dashboard. System is fairly easy to use and navigate once you get the hang of it. However, the size and capability can be off putting if you give too much access to none power users.

Cons: Although there are many reports and lots of options within each report they can also be limiting. For example if you wanted to run an A/R graph for aging you can only choose three options (Current, 30, & 60 days). Therefore if you have five options (Current, 30+, 60+, 90+, 120+) you will need to run two graphs to see all the info. However, if you have someone who know SQL you can design and write your own reports which is a plus.

• Reviewed on 2017/08/31
Katherine N.
Project Leader
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2016/11/15

"Deltek Vision ERP Implementation needs an onsite professional"

Comments: The controller left December 31st. The company went live February 1st. I began February 6th and I had never seen Deltek Vision before that day. Deltek Vision is a powerful, project management software which can help you have almost real-time visibility into all aspects of your business. Hi, my name is Kathy Nixon and I am a CPA, a PMP, and a professional coach. Post-acquisition mergers of systems, processes, and teams is my niche.
This assignment had me serving as interim corporate controller of a $130M+ Revenue company who was merging its three companies currently on Quickbooks all into one system, Deltek Vision.
Greatest take-aways:
1. Designate a Subject Matter Expert. It can be a Deltek Vision consultant or a third-party consultant with heavy Deltek Vision experience.
2. Develop a Steering Committee across all company disciplines and meet weekly. Decision making and joint buy-in is important.
3. Communicate, Communicate, Communicate. Communication to all areas of your organization is imperative to the success of the implementation.
4. Train, review, test, train some more. It takes a village to raise this child.
5. Designate or hire a project manager. For success, you need someone focused on all areas of this software's implementation. Setup, testing of setup, training, input, verify input accuracy, invoicing, collections, accounting and financial reporting.
6. Expect 6 months (to a year) before everyone is onboard.
7. Develop a budget which includes 5 times the software's cost. Yes, five times. It is a pay me now or pay to correct it later proposition.
Good luck! Wishing you success. Let me know how I can help.

Chelsee B.
Billing specialist
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/06/28

"Deltek Review from a billing standpoint"

Comments: Deltek Vision is mainly well suited for project managers to view project data in one place and also for billing purposes. It allows you to view a project as whole or drill down and see a certain time frame. Deltek Vision could be updated to be more HR inclusive. Right now we can only use it for time and expense and also payroll.

Pros: The time sheet and expense entering are very detailed and users can log time from iAccess if they are out of the office as well as upload to receipts straight into vision. It works great as a billing system. it's pretty straight forward and being able to run batches or also single invoices depending on your need is helpful.
It has a wide variety of reporting and you can also customize report to drill down and pull the info you need.

Cons: It can be difficult for new users and somewhat overwhelming. You need to be familiar with customizing reports to be able to get what you want. The default reports don't usually provide what information is needed. I really hate that we still have to use internet explorer to access vision.

• Reviewed on 2017/06/28
Project Engineer
Civil Engineering, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/30

"Great tools for Project Managers"

Comments: I believe this program is a significant upgrade over my firm's previous time tracking program. We should see the benefits within several months.

Pros: This is the second iteration of Deltek that I have used and there have been great additions since the last version I used. There are so many great tools for project management and tracking performance metrics. I particularly like the ability to schedule your work and availability -- this is great for work sharing with different offices/teams.

Cons: There is a bit of a learning curve to get yourself up to speed using all of the programs capabilities, but there are good resources and tutorials available to make sure you are getting the most out of the product. If you are only using it for timesheet purposes, I am not sure it is worth the extra cost.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/30
Joel N.
Data Analyst
Information Technology & Services, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/06/10

"Deltek Vision Review"

Comments: It makes planning for business finance simpler. With an amazing interface (dashboard for quick access), you can make plans and generate detailed reports needed for decision-making.

Pros: When it comes to everything accounting, this tool is reliable and effective. You can effectively manage budgeting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, revenue report and financial forecasts. Financial planning requires accuracy and detailed info and therefore, it can be daunting when you are dealing with several projects at a go that require planning. This tool saves you all the trouble and helps you plan accordingly . Secondly, it makes organization pretty simple. You can determine which of your staff are suitable for a particular project based on previous reports detailing their performance on the project. You can also get to the root of issues because everything is pretty much detailed. Businesses have ups and downs from time to time and having a tool that helps you get to the bottom of hindrances is an added advantage. It guarantees you great and reliable insight with features such as payroll, mobile app, expense management and client invoice among others.

Cons: Though it fully covers planning for business in nearly all aspects, I'd really ask that they check out resource planning. Document implementation shouldn't have hitches at all. That also should be checked.

• Reviewed on 2019/06/10
Sue I.
Accounts Receivable Manager
Civil Engineering, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/03/29

"Deltek Vision - Wonderful Program to Control & Grow Your Project Based Business"

Comments: Deltek Vision is a work horse of a software program. Its functionality is extensive and requires a full time person to be invested fully into set up and maintenance of the many features available. We find that we aren't able to use many of the great features simply because we don't have the time to explore and learn them all. Reporting features are fantastic and so useful in project management. Highly recommend this program for any project based company.

Pros: The reporting features are so inclusive that you really can get any info you need at the click of report once you have them set up.

Cons: It relies on accurate entry of data so I can't even say that there's a negative about the software just that you need consistent processes of input in order for the features to work efficiently.

• Reviewed on 2017/03/29
Jeanice F.
Vice President

"My Experience"

Comments: Overall, Vision is good. One feature I do not care for is the reporting and the fields are not in alphabetical order. I love the advanced search feature in reporting. I love the A/R transaction input experience where you just pull the invoice and it puts everything in. That is outstanding. Timesheets is another great feature of Deltek. One thing I feel needs to improve is the A/R search under the Accounting Tab/Accounts Receivable/Invoice Review, if you don't know the invoice number and search by client, it pulls all projects for that client. It should only pull those projects with outstanding A/R. I don't care for the customer service thru the help. Calling was much better.

Pros: The A/R transaction entry, the advanced search in reporting, timesheet processes.

Cons: The project reporting list of fields not in alphabetical order when you are trying to create a report. I know you can sort but it would take that step away if it was automatic. The search for an invoice number under Accounting/Accounts Receivable/Invoice Review.