Bench Reviews

by Bench Accounting

Filter by:

• Overall

About Bench

Bench does your small business books for you. We sync directly with your accounts to deliver tidy, accurate and tax-ready books.

Learn more about Bench

Aimee C.
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/08/04

"Helpful but pricey"

Comments: Generally my experience has been good. The device is expensive compared to other bookkeeping devices. My biggest concern is that in working with the company you get handed off to several different staff. It has been hard to build a relationship with my bookkeeper for this reason. I’ve found that I have to reexplain a number of our specifics over and over again because I am working with new people within the company. It would be better to be assigned to one bookkeeper, especially in our case, which included historical books and present day books. My business isnt open yet but some of the limitations in the software (particularly a lack of an A/P system) cause concern for me in considering continuing use once we are open.

Pros: I like that the online interface is user friendly, albeit a little glitchy.

Cons: Software is glitchy and could use a bit of tweaking in order to ensure that it is more effective.

by Bench Accounting on 2021/08/18

Hi Aimee, thank you for taking the time to share this with us! We're so happy to hear that you had a seamless experience with your historical bookkeeping. Regarding bookkeeper turnover, we completely understand how this can be frustrating in terms of user experience and this transition process is something we're actively working on improving. Building that working relationship with your bookkeeper is, understandably, quite important which is why we often recommend scheduling monthly check-in calls with your team!

• Reviewed on 2021/08/04
Scott S.
Owner/Operator
Music, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2021/05/25

"Enjoying Bench Accounting for my Small Business"

Comments: Bench helps me stay on top of my bookkeeping and know that my "i"s are dotted and "t"s are crossed.

Pros: I like how simple it was to connect my bank accounts as well as third party payors (eg. paypal, stripe). The interface is intuitive to navigate and uploading receipts using my custom email is a nifty trick!

Cons: I wish linking to Bench Tax or having some sort of tax center was a bit more seamless.

by Bench Accounting on 2021/05/28

Hi, Scott! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We're thrilled to hear that you're finding our interface user friendly, and that your team has been able to help you stay on top of your finances!

• Reviewed on 2021/05/25
Emily S.
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/09

"One less thing off of my plate..."

Comments: I am saving myself hours and hours of handling the bookkeeping. I am confident that it is done correctly and I am not missing anything. I like having someone to ask bookkeeping questions to if need be.

Pros: I was hesitant to start Bench because I thought I could handle the bookkeeping for our business on my own. Managing money has always been a strength for me. However, as my company grows I find that I need to keep delegating and removing things off of my plate. At the same time as a business owner I like to keep as much cash inside the company as possible. I finally gave the free trial a chance and it has been the BIGGEST weight off of me. I know that my bookkeeping is totally taken care of and done professionally. The stress of organizing everything for taxes is lifted off, and I know that I always have someone working on it everyday on my behalf. Anytime I have questions I get an immediate response along with very valuable advice. I am a Bench customer for life!

Cons: I don't like that it keeps disconnecting to my bank account. We've had a few technical issues with that. It can be very time consuming and frustrating especially since I am extremely busy already. I also have to confirm purchases from months prior and that can take a long time! When I confirm those purchases it is usually 30+ transactions and at that point I don't even remember all of them so it takes a while for me to locate receipts. I really dislike that too. I wish it were less expensive for us a small business owner as well.

by Bench Accounting on 2020/11/12

Hi Emily! We're thrilled to hear that we have been able to take one more thing off your plate. We have also shared your feedback with your team! A member of our Client Success team would also love to connect with you regarding your pain points. We will be reaching out via email shortly!

• Reviewed on 2020/11/09
Patricia B.
Business Owner
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/05/05

"Excellent Solution for Tracking Business Expenses"

Comments: Bench has set my mind at ease that all of my business costs and expenditures are being accounted for successfully and tracked.

Pros: Very easy to use . This product has been very useful for me to track all business expenses and have all of the required audits of my accounts while also producing annual earnings reports. Very professional.

Cons: It would be nice if the system was able to read the memos for checks written to determine the purpose for the expenditure rather than the business owner having to review each check and identify its purpose for the business.

• Reviewed on 2019/05/05
Pat W.
Member Lawyer
Law Practice, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/06/03

"Ditched Quickbooks and saved a lot of time"

Comments: I am spending a lot less time on bookkeeping and accounting.

Pros: Very easy implementation - love the human support on closing the books each month.

Cons: Not all of my business accounts can be connected via feed (ie intuit payroll), which requires a drag and drop upload each month.

• Reviewed on 2019/06/03
Director | Strategic Value Services
  • Reviewed on 2017/10/05

"No more all-nighters at tax time! Easy to use, great support team, no more headaches."

Pros: The interface is clean and easy. Submitting expenses is easy and in most cases automated. My team, led by customer rep, is very responsive.

Cons: The only thing and I'm splitting hairs is that for more detailed ecommerce analytics, I need to either go to my ecommerce platform and/or pull other data for company performance. It would be helpful to be in one place. But that's a tall order for the great Bench price.

by Bench on 2017/10/06

Thank you for the review! We're excited to hear your books are no longer keeping you up at night. I've passed along your feedback regarding ecommerce analytics to our development team as well. - SP

• Reviewed on 2017/10/05
Internet, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/05/20

"Quick to get started!"

Comments: I'm happy to use them overall. I wanted to take this off my place and have someone else manage and they are certainly doing that. They are just a bit slower than I would like.

Pros: I really like the balance sheet and income statements.

Cons: The support is a bit difficult to deal with. There's 4-5 unnecessary calls for setting up the account and seems to be as disconnect among staff there. I was also cancelled on last minute and had a no show.

by Bench Accounting on 2019/05/22

Thanks for your feedback. We apologize for the last minute cancellation of your appointment. We know how precious business owners' time is, and we have shared your feedback with the team to ensure that it does not happen again.

Thank you as well for referencing the number of calls you had to set up your Bench account. We strive to schedule the minimum number of calls required to get to know your business inside and out, and gather all the information and documents/reports your bookkeeping team needs. We appreciate that the amount of information required to complete bookkeeping can be a bit overwhelming!

We're always looking for ways to improve our systems so we really appreciate your feedback. If there's anything else we can assist you with please let us know and we'd be happy to connect you with one of our Client Success reps.

• Reviewed on 2019/05/20
Martha S.
Public Relations & Communications, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/29

"Can't imagine running The Key without it"

Pros: I LOVE being able to set and forget all the regulated/complex elements of our backend office. Not only do things run smoothly, but the Bench team is always available to confirm that all is as it should be whenever we get concerned. Excellent benefits are a huge part of the culture we're building, and Bench makes it so easy through its core product and partnerships.

Cons: I'd love to have even more partners for wellness benefits

Steve L.
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/29

"Reliable Bookeeping at a reasonable price"

Pros: East to use. Improving on the regular and with new features like Pulse. I like the dedicated support and team member you are linked with makes it feel like an extension of my team.

Cons: Guided setup was more time consuming than it needed to be.. the sales team was great but my implementation team seemed like they were in the dark. After working through this and actually switching our bookkeeper within Bench after that it's been great.

Ashley H.
Filmmaker
Photography, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/06/23

"I wish we would have invested in this sooner!"

Comments: I LOVE it so much!! I wish we would have started using this from the start with our business.

Pros: Bench has changed our business for the better! Having all of our books from month to month in one place is GAME changing! My favorite part is the real time look at the health of our business because our books are now done monthly. I can be confident that we'll never be behind! Which helps us make better business decisions!

Cons: When I was first new to Bench and terms like "balance sheet" and "profit and loss" I wished there was a hover by where you click on them at the top that gave a quick description of what each meant.

by Bench Accounting on 2020/08/12

We're thrilled to hear this, Ashley! We've passed your glowing words to your bookkeeping team, who will be equally as thrilled.

• Reviewed on 2020/06/23
Richard P.
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/02/06

"Great company"

Comments: Very pleased so far.

Pros: Onboarding was pretty easy. The features actually work. Their automatic reconciling and messaging with issues is really good.

Cons: Fonts are hard to read sometimes. Uploader works well but sometimes the bookkeepers don't seem to see that I've uploaded something. Probably something amiss on that side of the software.

by Bench Accounting on 2021/02/18

Thank you for sharing your experience and feedback, Richard. We're happy to hear that you are pleased with our service. We can't wait to see what the future has in store for you and your business!

• Reviewed on 2021/02/06
Sam ramirez F.
Entertainment, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/29

"Good service for small business"

Comments: ench is a solid bookkeeping service for a small business. It's affordable and the online tools to add expenses and analyze data are decent. My one area for improvement is that I wish Bench offered more human customer service support, even if it's a basic level of accounting
I got help in uploading data and having a review done. But I could have used some more help with fully understanding my balance sheets. Overall. Bench is great value for your money and is recommended highly for small businesses in need of book keeping services.

Pros: Easy to use. Friendly customer service. affordable.

Cons: Would have liked more human assistance even with a basic account

Heidi T.
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/15

"Great for small businesses"

Pros: I loved this as a lower cost option for bookkeeping that is very streamlined. Their onboarding was great and showed me exactly how things work.

Cons: Nothing is particularly difficult to use

by Bench Accounting on 2020/12/24

Thanks for sharing your experience Heidi! It's so great to hear you had a smooth onboarding and that we're able to provide you with what you need quickly. We love working with you!

• Reviewed on 2020/12/15
Jakob A.
Computer Networking, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/05/01

"Simple and Easy"

Comments: It was easy, we had them do a whole year of books at once. It took a little longer then originally quoted but they did a solid job and had good contact. No complaints at all.

Pros: I like that they do everything, its easy. You send them the info and they get it all ready. The team is friendly and provides good support.

Cons: A couple features that would be nice include being able to send ACH payments from the software. Also they live look at your accounts is seperate from the book-keeping, small non-issue.

• Reviewed on 2019/05/01
Co-Founder and Creative Director
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/29

"Great for small businesses"

Comments: Bench has taken bookkeeping off me and my co-founder’s plates, and we are big fans of the platform!

Pros: There’s someone assigned to your account that you can contact at any time, and who always responds promptly to questions or requests.

Cons: So far we’ve been very satisfied, have not come across any issues yet.

Kat A.
Freelance Writer
Writing & Editing, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/10

"Bench has saved me hours of bookkeeping"

Comments: I love Bench so far. My bookkeeper, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], is on top of things and she’s super nice. She feels like part of my team!

Pros: It’s all done for you, so you never have to worry if you’re categorizing something correctly.

Cons: Nothing that I can think of! It’s excellent.

by Bench Accounting on 2020/11/12

Thank you so much, Kat!

• Reviewed on 2020/11/10
Founder & CEO
Automotive, 2-10 Employees

"Good software"

Comments: Pleasant experience. Fix times need to be shorter.

Pros: The reporting tools are very clear.
Very easy to upload new documents

Cons: Time to prepare full report of prior month takes a few weeks. Certain expenses are repetitively miscategorized.

Cheryl H.
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

"Bookkeeping Review"

Comments: It’s a great value for the price and an affordable way to with a bookkeeper when your business is still fairly small. It’s a huge relief come tax time and makes the process of filing super easy!

Pros: That it’s fairly intuitive to use. That I know my business numbers every month without the hassle of keeping track of everything myself.

Cons: Accounts don’t always link so you still need to manually send invoices and bank statements each month

Shoney I.
Real Estate, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/14

"Highly Recommend"

Comments: I spent hours each month, tracking my business financials.
Since I started using Bench, I've been able to spend less time on tracking numbers and more time on doing what I do best in my business.
I anticipate that I will gain 40-70 hours throughout the year by having this service.

Pros: The setup process was very simple & I've enjoyed having a single point of contact at Bench that I can reach out to whenever I have questions.

Cons: I would prefer more reporting to be easily accessible rather than just a year-end statement.

by Bench Accounting on 2020/11/24

Hi Shoney, Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience with us! If you ever need reporting for a custom range, you can always download your financials from your account! You can also ask your team for assistance. Please let us know if you have any further questions!

• Reviewed on 2020/11/14
Alberto V.
Finance Director

"Simple but efficient"

Pros: It takes automatically your expenses and revenue from your bank accounts and credit cards

Cons: Not valid for accrual accounting or to have proper AP/AR ledgers

• Reviewed on 2021/02/10

"Great platform, great team, great experience"

Comments: We're a small startup team and the experience with Bench has been fantastic. From the sales, to onboarding, to dedicated bookkeeper, everything's been awesome. Highly recommend

Pros: We looked at a lot of alternatives. Bench is the least expensive, most modern, and what you'd expect in a bookkeeping platform.

Cons: There were a few non-critical bugs here and there, but they were all fixed within the same day. This is the nature of software and not a con by any means.

by Bench Accounting on 2021/03/02

Thank you so much for the kind words and recommendations! We truly appreciate it!

• Reviewed on 2021/02/10
Chris H.
Partner/Producer
Graphic Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/02/17

"Next level in bookkeeping"

Comments: Great experience. Easy on-boarding, super-friendly and responsive support team. They are quick and thorough with answers and feedback. Slightly overpriced, in that I feel like our small business should have qualified for the lower tier pricing. But other than that I have only praise. Glad we decided to give it a try.

Pros: Great service and support. Nice UI.

Cons: Slightly overpriced.

by Bench on 2017/10/04

Hi Chris - Thank you for the review! We're so glad to hear you're enjoying your experience with us (and that we've been able to help you on the price side of things). I'll be sure to pass this on to Devin and the rest of your team.

- SP

• Reviewed on 2017/02/17
Jessica B.
Attorney
Legal Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/03/11

"J Bull Consulting Firm"

Comments: I have enjoyed my experience thus far and I have found the software pretty easy to understand and I like have access to my bookkeeper.

Pros: I like that features are easy to read and easily accessible graphics.

Cons: I wish the that I could see projected money or pending invoices that are set up to come in that month or even unpaid receivable.

by Bench Accounting on 2021/03/18

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and feedback, Jessica! We're glad to hear that you have found our service friendly, affordable and easily accessible. We're excited to see what the future has in store for you and your business!

• Reviewed on 2021/03/11
Victoria P.
Retail, Self Employed

"So far so good!"

Comments: So far so good- customer service has been great! Our rep is wonderful!

Pros: It's very user-friendly and I feel like I have someone I can ask real questions in real time to

Cons: So far I haven't found anything but I will certainly reach out when I do!

Sporting Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/10

"Easy to use, no frills bookkeeping"

Comments: "Adequate" - nothing has really changed inside the software in the past few years, but it gets the job done.

Pros: - Eliminates bookkeeping as a daily task
- Easy to read reporting

Cons: - Slow to update books at month end and at year end
- Zero new feature introductions in last few years

• Reviewed on 2019/04/10