Bench Reviews

by Bench Accounting

• Overall
    4,8 /5

About Bench

Bench does your small business books for you. We sync directly with your accounts to deliver tidy, accurate and tax-ready books.

Learn more about Bench

Ashley H.
Filmmaker
Photography, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/06/23

"I wish we would have invested in this sooner!"

Comments: I LOVE it so much!! I wish we would have started using this from the start with our business.

Pros: Bench has changed our business for the better! Having all of our books from month to month in one place is GAME changing! My favorite part is the real time look at the health of our business because our books are now done monthly. I can be confident that we'll never be behind! Which helps us make better business decisions!

Cons: When I was first new to Bench and terms like "balance sheet" and "profit and loss" I wished there was a hover by where you click on them at the top that gave a quick description of what each meant.

by Bench Accounting on 2020/08/12

We're thrilled to hear this, Ashley! We've passed your glowing words to your bookkeeping team, who will be equally as thrilled.

Emily S.
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/09

"One less thing off of my plate..."

Comments: I am saving myself hours and hours of handling the bookkeeping. I am confident that it is done correctly and I am not missing anything. I like having someone to ask bookkeeping questions to if need be.

Pros: I was hesitant to start Bench because I thought I could handle the bookkeeping for our business on my own. Managing money has always been a strength for me. However, as my company grows I find that I need to keep delegating and removing things off of my plate. At the same time as a business owner I like to keep as much cash inside the company as possible. I finally gave the free trial a chance and it has been the BIGGEST weight off of me. I know that my bookkeeping is totally taken care of and done professionally. The stress of organizing everything for taxes is lifted off, and I know that I always have someone working on it everyday on my behalf. Anytime I have questions I get an immediate response along with very valuable advice. I am a Bench customer for life!

Cons: I don't like that it keeps disconnecting to my bank account. We've had a few technical issues with that. It can be very time consuming and frustrating especially since I am extremely busy already. I also have to confirm purchases from months prior and that can take a long time! When I confirm those purchases it is usually 30+ transactions and at that point I don't even remember all of them so it takes a while for me to locate receipts. I really dislike that too. I wish it were less expensive for us a small business owner as well.

by Bench Accounting on 2020/11/12

Hi Emily! We're thrilled to hear that we have been able to take one more thing off your plate. We have also shared your feedback with your team! A member of our Client Success team would also love to connect with you regarding your pain points. We will be reaching out via email shortly!

• Reviewed on 2020/11/09
Founder & Creative Director
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/29

"Makes My Life as a Small Business Owner So Much Easier"

Comments: I started my graphic design studio in 2005 managing our books through a part-time bookkeeper who'd come in 1-2x a month and we'd then communicate a few times every week.. This system got us through the first 8 years of our business. Though functional, it was a time-consuming process. We used Quickbooks at the time, and I could never get comfortable using it to manage or understand our business's numbers even though our bookkeeper was serving it on a silver platter essentially. I've always felt Quickbooks was made for accountants, not business owners or individuals. Once can argue, it's supposed to be "accounting made easy", but it's really designed with accounting in mind — not business owners. As a business owner I wanted to quickly understand cashflow and profitability. Whereas Quickbooks seemed to that and much more, it seemed like I was doing my taxes every time I went in there. So I started looking for options and that's when I found Bench. And Bench, even back then, had already provided a service ideal for a small business owner like me. I've been using Bench since 2013 now, and I can't imagine running my business without them. It's allowed me to focus on my clients and design work which are revenue generating tasks, instead of accounting which was an anxiety-generating task.

Pros: 1) Uncomplicated Interface — For a non-numbers/non-accounting comfortable individual it's great. It provides me access and understanding to our accounting in a very digestible yet informative manner. 2) Accessible Customer Service/Communications — All the interactions I've had have been professional, courteous, and problem solving driven. It's never "No". Instead if a challenge arises, they've always been proactive in finding a way to address the challenge or question providing options. It's also especially great that you can speak with them or chat with them with no barriers. At first I was very concerned about this since our books are the heartbeat of our financials, and i was quickly at ease after the first few calls and chats. 3) Easy — Once our accounts were synced and Bench had a clear picture of how our business worked, it's set-it-and-forget-it. What used to required a few hours every week for me now has become an hour or two a month. 4) Transaction Verification Made Easy — I especially love how they've simplified this process to almost a game.

Cons: 1) Cash based bookkeeping. This was a struggle in the beginning since we were accrual based initially. However upon working with them and our CPA, we've managed to stay accrual based and set up a system where we do adjusted entries after filing taxes. 2) Not Quickbooks. This is not really a con, but should make it clear that if you prefer to stay on Quickbooks, this is not the service for you. They will provide your books as spreadsheets for your CPA to work with. At first I was nervous about this, but it hasn't been an issue. 3) Turnover with bookkeepers — Over the years, we've had I believe 5 different bookkeepers over the course of 6 years due to turnover or what seems to be internal promotions. It has not negatively impacted our service, but I do wish it was less frequent since at times I'd have to remind the new person some of the subtleties of our account.

Albert R.
Consumer Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/29

"Exceptional Services for Small Businesses"

Comments: Bench executives should develop the bookkeeping platform further to include items that allow the end user to have a total experience. I understand that the goal is to lead bookkeeping into full tech. However, I feel that users want some form of one-on-one service where they are able to meet and greet their bookkeeping expert. What I have experienced with Bench thus far are a series of glitches when adding accounts, not being able to delete accounts, and occasionally having to repeat myself when discussing issues with numerous customer support staff members that are not apart of my bookkeeping team. I feel that by establishing a video conferencing feature to the dashboard, it would be a brilliant opportunity for us, end users, to get to know their experts and to limit any inconsistencies while providing a more personal experience.

Pros: Bench has done a great job of placing most items one would require into a dashboard that makes the bookkeeping experience simple. Customer service at Bench is by far the best in the market! Staff at the company truly believe in the product and provide the end user with an exceptional experience each and every call.

Cons: Platform errors and the lack of additional features.

Jean W.
CFO
Consumer Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/29

"Best Web-based/Remote Bookkeeping Full-Services"

Comments: Great experience, we've been with them for 2 years now and we will not switch to anything else!

Pros: Extremely professional bookkeepers, easy to use user interface and 100% hands-free. They even have auto-linked bank accounts to pull your bank statements so you don't have to manually send receipts and statements. You can view your dashboard anytime and see live updates on your balance sheet. My CPA loves their books as well.

Cons: Sometimes the connection might be off and I'll have to upload documents anyways, and they'll still need my input for returning vendors/suppliers.

Patricia B.
Business Owner
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/05/05

"Excellent Solution for Tracking Business Expenses"

Comments: Bench has set my mind at ease that all of my business costs and expenditures are being accounted for successfully and tracked.

Pros: Very easy to use . This product has been very useful for me to track all business expenses and have all of the required audits of my accounts while also producing annual earnings reports. Very professional.

Cons: It would be nice if the system was able to read the memos for checks written to determine the purpose for the expenditure rather than the business owner having to review each check and identify its purpose for the business.

• Reviewed on 2019/05/05
Missy H.
Founder & CEO
Alternative Medicine, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/30

"Takes the hassle work out of financial reporting"

Comments: Overall Bench has helped me to track and monitor my business financials. Tax seasons has been a breeze the last two years with Bench - something a lot of freelancers struggle with.

Pros: - no need to use quickbooks
- friendly and responsive staff when issues arise
- individual bookkeeper assigned to your account
- user interface is friendly and accessible
- reporting features are solid
- costs less than hiring your own bookkeeper
- affordable rates which are advantageous for small businesses

Cons: - auto syncing does not connect w Capital One bak accounts which results oftentimes a 2-3 week lag in getting monthly reports back
- only retrospective reporting; no prospective budgeting features (need to use separate software)
- does not provide tax accounting services; only bookkeeping
- cannot easily customize revenue subledgers without discussing w accountant
- no categories of fixed/variable expenses
- cannot upload documents via mobile devices

• Reviewed on 2019/04/30
Derick S.
Furniture, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/14

"A lifesaver"

Comments: Overall I am more than pleased. I have no doubt that my books are being done correctly, which frees me up to deal with other things.

Pros: I love the ease of use. The portal is easy to get around in and I always have someone to answer my questions.

Cons: I would like to have a little more interaction as to tax planning. I understand that it doesnt necessarily fall under bookkeeping. But I would like to be able to have some sort of review.

by Bench Accounting on 2020/12/24

Hi Derick, we're thrilled to hear you can rely on our bookkeeping team to help answer questions that come up! We're also happy to hear that the online platform is easy to use so you can get the information you need quickly and spend those extra minutes on growing your business. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience!

• Reviewed on 2020/12/14
Daniel D.
Consumer Goods, 2-10 Employees

"AMT Bench Review"

Comments: Bench allows us to accurately forecast our cashflow with ease.

Pros: Right from the beginning Bench made everything extremely easy. My bookeeping is now completely hands-off. Our bookkeeper is always very easy to reach if we have questions and learned our business practices extremely fast.

Cons: I wish I could combined the income statement and other reports to stretch over different years. For instance, if we could view December 2020 and January 2021 in one report instead of having to do the math that would be fantastic.

Christina G.
Photography, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/20

"Seamless Bookkeeping"

Comments: My experience has been overall positive! My bookkeeper is there when I need him and always professional and friendly!

Pros: Simply put, Bench took a headache away and made managing my bookkeeping easy and seamless. It also encourages me to be more aware of receivables and expenses + I really appreciate that I can check my books at any time, day or night. The overall look of the site is clean and approachable, and the interface is simple.

Cons: A few times my bank accounts have come "unlinked" somehow and I've had to go back in and link them.

by Bench Accounting on 2019/08/21

Hi Christina! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us! We've passed this along to your bookkeeping team, and I know they will be thrilled to hear this!

• Reviewed on 2019/08/20
Lizardo B.
Owner & CEO
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/18

"AMAZING SOFTWARE & CUSTOMER SERVICE"

Comments: I'd definitely recommend this software to all my friends. Easy to use and great customer service. They get the job done. Great investment.

Pros: How easy it is to use the software. It shows you all the financial details of your business.

Cons: I'm really happy with everything they've done so far.

by Bench Accounting on 2020/12/24

Thank you so much Lizardo! Our engineering team will be so happy to hear you're loving the software and we're glad we can provide you quick access to important information you need. We love working with you and your business, and look forward to what the future has in store.

• Reviewed on 2020/12/18
Jay S.
Recreational Facilities & Services, 2-10 Employees

"Life Saver"

Comments: nothing short of great.

Pros: The Bench team was there every step to explain what the software did, how to use it and what they need from me. I am super busy so I needed hand holding and that's exactly what the bench team did.

Cons: I had to do some of the integrations manually, such as sending over bank statements, but I would to have had to do this with a regular bookeeper anyway.

by Bench Accounting on 2020/08/12

Hi Jay! Thanks for the glowing review. Thanks for being with us!

Founder & Creative Director
Hospitality, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/29

"Must Have for Small Business Owner"

Comments: What I love is that I don't have to enter a thing! Doing the books was not only frustrating, but also time consuming. Having Bench on my side means I can focus on building and growing my business, knowing that the data that drives my decisions is solid!

Pros: Bench isn't a software. It's a team of people USING a dedicated software platform to help you manage your books. This has made all the difference for me in my business. Other accounting programs didn't teach me how to manage my books or read my monthly reports. My dedicated Bench bookkeeper answers my questions, provides me resources and is a partner in helping me understand my business finances to make better decisions. If you are a small business owner who is great with customers, but bad with books...this is your solution. Stop trying to figure it all out yourself. Call Bench and get a dedicated human to help you out! You won't be disappointed!

Cons: After being on such robust software platform, I miss some of the bells and whistles those packages came with. But, Bench doesn't need all that. It's intuitive and focuses on the financial reports you need to make the best decisions for your business. You may have to look outside the platform to track some of your KPI's.

Ali M.
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/01/01

"Love the ease of use!"

Pros: After months of frustration with our old software, we switched to Bench and have been so happy. It is easy to use, painless, and so convenient.

Cons: So far I am completely happy, no cons yet!

by Bench Accounting on 2021/01/11

Hi Ali, we're thrilled to hear we could make the process seamless and that it's easy to use. We love working with you and are excited to see what comes next for you and your business!

• Reviewed on 2021/01/01
Director | Strategic Value Services
  • Reviewed on 2017/10/05

"No more all-nighters at tax time! Easy to use, great support team, no more headaches."

Pros: The interface is clean and easy. Submitting expenses is easy and in most cases automated. My team, led by customer rep, is very responsive.

Cons: The only thing and I'm splitting hairs is that for more detailed ecommerce analytics, I need to either go to my ecommerce platform and/or pull other data for company performance. It would be helpful to be in one place. But that's a tall order for the great Bench price.

by Bench on 2017/10/06

Thank you for the review! We're excited to hear your books are no longer keeping you up at night. I've passed along your feedback regarding ecommerce analytics to our development team as well. - SP

• Reviewed on 2017/10/05
Ashley T.
Motion Pictures & Film, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/08/18

"Bench allowed me to go back to focusing on running my business"

Pros: The support team is really helpful and are quick to respond. They’ve allowed me to focus on running a business and no longer have to focus on the accounting portions of my business.

Cons: The only thing I don’t like is the bank integrations. They don’t have all the banks or even if tech companies like cash app or venmo.

by Bench Accounting on 2020/09/23

Thanks, Ashley for sharing!

• Reviewed on 2020/08/18
Trevor E.
Sports, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/05/06

"Love Bench!"

Comments: Wonderful! So happy we started with the business.

Pros: Bench has really helped us with the task of bookkeeping that just got out of hand. The people that help you with your account are so responsive and very helpful!

Cons: I would love to have a screen that shows real-time info on where the company is at in the year.

• Reviewed on 2019/05/06
Martha S.
Public Relations & Communications, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/29

"Can't imagine running The Key without it"

Pros: I LOVE being able to set and forget all the regulated/complex elements of our backend office. Not only do things run smoothly, but the Bench team is always available to confirm that all is as it should be whenever we get concerned. Excellent benefits are a huge part of the culture we're building, and Bench makes it so easy through its core product and partnerships.

Cons: I'd love to have even more partners for wellness benefits

Steve L.
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/29

"Reliable Bookeeping at a reasonable price"

Pros: East to use. Improving on the regular and with new features like Pulse. I like the dedicated support and team member you are linked with makes it feel like an extension of my team.

Cons: Guided setup was more time consuming than it needed to be.. the sales team was great but my implementation team seemed like they were in the dark. After working through this and actually switching our bookkeeper within Bench after that it's been great.

• Reviewed on 2019/04/29

"Using Bench for Bootstrapped Software Company a Year Now"

Pros: Easy. Don't have to do anything and they send you pretty monthly reports. Also, it makes tax time so much easier. If you're starting/new this is 1000000x better than trying to DIY.

Cons: It's possible at some point we'll outgrow Bench. Just as business grows there are more complexities and need for full-time staff. Still, it's great (GREAT!) when you're starting. Probably I'd like for it to be a little bit cheaper, but hey that's life.

Tony L.
Financial Services, 2-10 Employees

"Love Bench!!"

Comments: Love bench and my bookkeeper! No complaints just happy to have them!

Pros: Bench makes communicating so easy with your personal bookkeeper. There system/software makes doing everything a breeze. And the cost no accountant can touch!

Cons: I have no cons about the software or the support!

Krista M.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/16

"Bench is ALL THAT!"

Comments: It's been a great experience. I the software is great, but the best thing has been the extended level of support once the pandemic hit. They helped me to apply for the loans that were right for my business and I'm able to see a future for my business because of that.

Pros: I really appreciate the ease of use. I can easily track all of my financials and the team is so so helpful.

Cons: I have not experienced any cons with this software.

by Bench Accounting on 2020/11/12

Hi Krista! We are thrilled to hear that we have been a support and resource for you and your business during this uncertain time. Wishing you all the best!

• Reviewed on 2020/10/16
Jakob A.
Computer Networking, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/05/01

"Simple and Easy"

Comments: It was easy, we had them do a whole year of books at once. It took a little longer then originally quoted but they did a solid job and had good contact. No complaints at all.

Pros: I like that they do everything, its easy. You send them the info and they get it all ready. The team is friendly and provides good support.

Cons: A couple features that would be nice include being able to send ACH payments from the software. Also they live look at your accounts is seperate from the book-keeping, small non-issue.

• Reviewed on 2019/05/01
Heidi T.
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/15

"Great for small businesses"

Pros: I loved this as a lower cost option for bookkeeping that is very streamlined. Their onboarding was great and showed me exactly how things work.

Cons: Nothing is particularly difficult to use

by Bench Accounting on 2020/12/24

Thanks for sharing your experience Heidi! It's so great to hear you had a smooth onboarding and that we're able to provide you with what you need quickly. We love working with you!

• Reviewed on 2020/12/15
Kevin C.
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/06/23

"Easy to implement and high value accounting services"

Pros: Bench is fantastic because of the super hands on customer service and the accounting professional you're matched with is always prompt, responsive, and helpful with keeping your books up to date.

Cons: Lack of integrations with all of our financial services. Many things need to be manually managed however it's great that the accounting pros will hop in and pull data directly.

by Bench Accounting on 2020/08/12

Thank you for sharing, Kevin!