15 years helping South African businesses

About Slack

Meet your Digital HQ for Sales. Work flows and revenue grows with a Digital HQ for Sales.

Learn more about Slack

Pros:

The giphy integration is the perfect way to get folks engaged. I love the search function and the auto-response feature the best.

Cons:

I get lost on some of the channels - there are a lot of channels with different teams. I find that I get confused with which channel is for what.

Slack ratings

4.6
4.4
4.6
4.5

8.9/10

Slack has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 23,235 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Slack before?

Filter reviews (23,235)

Tommy
Tommy
Growth Genie in US
Program Development, 11–50 Employees

Slack>Teams

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

Slack is easy to use and has hundreds of uses beyond just communication. I use it to remind myself to complete tasks, file documents, and collaborate. The internal workflows are a time saver and make life easy.

Cons:

The only thing I would enjoy more of are more options for workflows. The default workflows are great, I'd love to see more added.

japhet
Creative Director in South Africa
Telecommunications, 2–10 Employees

The ultimate solution for remote work!

5.0 last month New

Comments: Slack allows me to organize my meetings and team interactions with professionalism. It serves as an excellent platform for file sharing, and the additional feature of screen sharing adds even more value.

Pros:

Slack is intelligently designed for entrepreneurs, offering efficiency and timeliness. It's particularly beneficial for remote work, as it consolidates all tasks into one software, saving a significant amount of time.

Cons:

Regarding drawbacks, I haven't encountered any significant ones yet. Slack is incredibly user-friendly, and I discover new features every day, enhancing its overall usability.

Christopher
Christopher
Associate Professor in Japan
Research, 11–50 Employees

Not bad for small groups, horrible for large groups, free plan is now crippled

Comments: Only using Slack with external teams that use them. We no longer use it with our internal teams. Their confusing threaded views is really their downfall. There are other alternatives out there that do a much better job.

Pros:

Slack has a very nice, slick interface. When the workspace is not busy, it's very easy to see all the messages and figure out what's relevant for you. Very easy to setup new workspaces and channels. And basically, the key reason why we use Slack is because almost everyone is using it.

Cons:

Their free plan is now crippled. Only 90 days of retention. On a number of free workspaces, I wanted to refer back to some info which I no longer can find. Very frustrating. Slack also implements threaded conversations as a "tack-on" feature. Not everyone uses this feature and it just causes more and more user confusion, especially in large workspaces where many messages are mixed into the main channel as well as in threads. Their threads/mentions&reactions views which are supposed to help you filter out things not relevant for you are huge messes. Their pricing plans are also very expensive.

Consumer Goods, 2–10 Employees

Best digital workplace you need for a small or medium company !

Comments: It’s part of our daily routine at work so I don't think we are getting rid of slack anytime soon.

Pros:

The instant messaging, the integration with API or other apps ( which in my point of view is very important ), the fact that you can use it as cloud docs management for your office are things that I mostly like.

Cons:

It can a bit frustrating finding docs, the search is not always responsive, but I can find my way around. The quality of the calls needs some work a little, but it's getting better, that's for sure.

FRED
Students' President in Switzerland
Higher Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

SUCCESSFUL LIMITLESS ONLINE MEETING SCHEDULING

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Adaptivity on VoIP, VC and web conferencing services,file transfer and content creation.

Pros:

Easy-to-use templates supporting custom LMS for drag-drop option. Full HD video and web streaming. Audio VoIP in bridge. Agile and elegant file sharing. Available across all internet devices on both browsers and desktop.

Cons:

I think of zero negative compliment to air for now.

Financial Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Slack changed how I communicate at work.

5.0 last month New

Pros:

Slacks user interface design makes it difficult to miss out on any message, even if I am not logged-in for days. When I open my Slack app on mobile phone or on my desktop, all channels I am a member of , with new messages or updates are clearly highlighted. When I click on any of the channels, Slack shows me the exact number of messages I have missed out on . This approach to user interface design has made my Slack communication experience , very smooth.

Cons:

For me, Slack easily gets addictive and this has been the case for years. This is because of the non-stop activity on the app, even after work hours. Infact, I am tempted to say that Slack has made it difficult to blur the boundaries between my work and personal life.

Computer Games, 1,001–5,000 Employees

An excellent tool for collaboration

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

It is an easy-to-use tool that continually adds new features and improvements, enhancing its functionality and user experience.

Cons:

Sometimes it takes time to find specific conversations, especially when there is a lot of content and the tool is used by thousands of people.

Andrés Darío
Andrés Darío
Software Engineer in Ecuador
Government Administration, 201–500 Employees

Slack for a goverment Deploy Team

4.0 last month New

Comments: my experience is good, but the cost and the time to save the files in the system don't help to think to buy the product.

Pros:

Is simple, useful and light to run in an old computer

Cons:

The GUI isn't actual and erase the chat history and files in 90 days.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Lead Game Developer in Mexico
E-Learning, 10,000+ Employees

Great for big projects

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Great, worked in a huge team, reaching out to the production and QA team, as well as having direct contact with all my middle managers at the company.

Pros:

I used Slack for my time being at a large company with 10,000+ employees. I had never been in a large team before but Slack made the project managment process and team comunication easy.

Cons:

As a user, none at all, but as a small business owner wanting to use Slack, it is quite expensive.

Luciana
Luciana
Client Partner in Portugal
Marketing & Advertising, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Very Good Tool for Chat and Collaboration

5.0 last week New

Pros:

Easy to use, fun and friendly interface. Compatible with mobile and easy to organize groups, huddles and collaborations.

Cons:

Some features did not work so well on the browser compared to the actual application.

Stephanie
Church and Service Coordinator in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2–10 Employees

Robust and Efficient Communication on All Team Levels

Comments: Slack has been an entertaining way to keep my teams moving and communicating so much more than we would through email or text. The platform makes it easy to record and share ideas as they happen, and collaborate on the good ones to bring helpful and interesting ideas to fruition. We experience much less distraction as we all want to cover multiple topics, sometimes all at once. We are not limited to listening through long meetings where we discuss topics only relevant to 30% of the team - only team members directly related to a project have to engage in discussions, and the rest can listen in only if they are interested or find value. Stronger and more organized than emails or text threads, Slack has entirely changed the way we convey thoughts and communicate remotely (or from within the same room!) in my organization.

Pros:

What I am most enthusiastic about in my use of this software, is how neatly organized every topic of discussion can be. Within an organization, there can be a LOT of topics, and one simple chatroom (text messages, other chat platforms) will absolutely not cut it. With Slack, each team can have their own space, each project can have its own space, and there can even be direct messages between team members. Replies can happen in the entire thread, or in direct response to a particular message - including emoji-only responses, for those so inclined! The added benefit of this discussion organization, means there's even a dedicated space for members to shoot the breeze and talk about lunch in #imhungry, without losing pace or focus of the financial evaluation happening in #budgetcrisis. Each chatroom, or "channel", can be as private or accessible as the individuals need. Members can join or leave as needed, or lurk in other's channels to keep track of other projects. An individual can even be a part of multiple Slack communities for different businesses or organizations - I personally have one for my Church, for my family business, as well as gaming and personal pursuits. Everything stays separate and organized, thanks to Slack.

Cons:

This particularly applies to individuals who are using Slack for multiple organizations; the mobile app can be VERY confusing when you're not 100% familiar with Slack. Slack is already a bit of a learning curve, due to its robust functionality; that in itself is not a flaw, as I see it. It is efficiently designed. It's just a lot to take in day 1 and may not be intuitive to everyone, and the mobile app compounds the confusion! I will note that the app has MUCH improved since I jumped in two or three years ago. But even now, I find myself having to pause and double-check I'm navigating channels correctly. The desktop version is much more understandable!

Kevin
Kevin
Software Engineer in Australia
Gambling & Casinos, 201–500 Employees

Slack is a great collaboration tool for our team, improves communication and productivity.

Comments: I am very happy of using it as a main communication tool at work. And I have been using it for a few years now. Every colleague I worked with, they all like it. I hope slack keep up the good work and make more neat features for us all.

Pros:

Slack is a team communication tool, it very well categories the different processes in different channels, restrict the conversation is relevant to the channel and everyone who join that channel can collaboratively contribute to the topics. It also provides a neat feature call thread, which you can start a discussion under a message and solve issues with that person. It reduces the distractions from the channels and help other members concentrate on the topics they care about. You can also integrate automatic messages from other apps, softwares, e.g. we implemented the gitlab automation messages in the developers channel, it indicates what work has been done, it passes or break the build, etc. Lovely integration of slash command feature, for giphy images, for icons, for text formats, etc. Making the conversation more fun. You can also pin useful information, that you can easily access in anytime.

Cons:

when you enter a message without sending, it places that person's icon into a draft section in the navigation area. It is kind of tricky to find that person, if you forgot you have a pending message to send and you are wondering why that persion is disappeared from your direct message section. search bar can be improved as well, it would be nice to have more advanced search terms like what google does.

Nikki
IT Help Coorindator in US
Higher Education, 201–500 Employees

Great communcation software

Comments: Like I had said I really love Slack. It has made it easier to communtate with my team, share information and it actually brought us together!

Pros:

I have used Slack for years now and was so excited when we started using it at my current workplace. We had tried to use other software but it never really took off as Slack has. It is super easy to use and has many different client versions. Everyone in the office can decide how they want to use it which is a hugeeeee plus! We use the free version which really is great for us. There is a limit to how many message Slack stores but this hasn't been a huge issue. You are able to create different channels which has been a great way to share important information that we have to reference and keep it organized. Slack has also brought our team together and gave us a new modern way to communicate. Also what I love is that you can really customize notifications,

Cons:

I don't like how with my particular phone notifations can be delayed. It has caused a few issues where I have gotten messages 30 to 40 minutes later despite having good either wifi or ceular service. Otherwise no real issues with Slack!

Senior Salesforce Administrator in US
Computer & Network Security, 201–500 Employees

The best chat application.

Comments: Slack makes team communication easy. I use it to send updates to team members, build relationships with team members (it's funny how much team culture and unity can be built on a strong foundation of memes), post polls, gather feedback on internal projects, get quick answers to quick questions, etc. Slack makes it easy to integrate, so I've used third-party integrations like HeyTaco for employee recognition. Slack makes it possible to do a significant portion of your work out of a chat app.

Pros:

Slack has by far the best UI, the best organization, and the best set of features. Competing products like Google Chat (the business version of Hangouts) don't even come close. The most critical feature is being able to simultaneously log in to multiple Slack instances which each have multiple rooms, groups, etc. Slack makes text-based communication super easy.

Cons:

It's pricey in comparison to some of the competing software (especially if your organization already uses G Suite, it may be a hard sell to move to Slack). Also, Slack literally makes me more of a slacker - it's too easy to BS with coworkers or members of other non-work-related slack groups when I should be working.

Eric R.
Eric R.
Chief Product Officer in US
Internet, 2–10 Employees

Slack is the solution for internal communication and collaboration

Comments: Slack helps our team stay coordinated, interact in a timely manner, and track information in channels that provide context.

Pros:

Slack's ease of use and understanding it paramount. While I find Teams to be over-extending itself into the Office world, Slack is just about making sure you can keep communication clear, timely and open. The ability to shift between private DMs, open channels, and private channels nicely delineates the way you can manage communication across a team. We use Slack for all internal communication, relegating email to external comms, which works really well.

Cons:

The channels can overwhelm casual users at times. While the system tries to clean things up with suggestions, I think Slack should do more intentional hiding of under-used channels to keep it clean.

Brittany
NP Co-Founder and Executive Director, Small Business Owner/Operator in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Slack is a mainstay for my inter-connected teams and communities!

Pros:

Slack is hands down my favorite way to keep productive up, communication lines between teams clear and more concise, and as a way of messaging back and forth in a pretty straight-forward, not super distracting way.

Cons:

There is not really a complaint I can think of in regards to Slack. I have never had a real issue with it in my 8+ years of using the application.

Eli
President in Colombia
Management Consulting, 2–10 Employees

It's a great Communication tool and the pricing is fair!

Comments: We felt that we made the right move by switching to this pro tool. Our communications it's very effective, and there is no mistake in mixing private or personal communications. This helped our team to stay focused and always reply in business mode.

Pros:

We are a marketing agency and have several types of contracts and clients who love fast communications and avoid long email threads. We cannot live without it.

Cons:

We are glad that restrictions for free accounts were removed, which allow new adopters to get to know the tool better and incorporate it into their daily activities.

Mareen
Mareen
Manager, Ad Operations in UK
Newspapers, 501–1,000 Employees

Slack - Fastest way to communicate internally!

Comments: Overall, Slack is a communication king. It acts as a one tool for all and seamlessly allows multiple integrations with so many third party applications. All of its content are searchable, pinnable and configurable to your personal preference. Slack makes file sharing easy across all conversations and is available for across multi platform.

Pros:

Slack is a communication tool for all employees in one place. I love how we are able to start a channel to talk about a specific project or chat to individual people. In my life of field i work in multiple different department from various different time zones but Slack unites all of us together. You are also able to integrate a lot of third party tools to help your conversations. I very much use the Gdoc integration and the conversation pinning functionality - I'd like to keep the more important up to date information on top of the chat thread. You are also able to access Slack from majority of the devices, there is a nifty Desktop App, equally better mobile app and a web app all of them can be configured differently. For example, if you do not want a notification on your mobile but instead you want to follow the conversation on desktop - Boom, its possible and you can configure it all.

Cons:

There are couple things Slack could improve. Firstly, Slack needs to allow their users to import table - if you are copy pasting an information from a table, Slack is not able to dissect that which is really a downer. The other being, connection issues, lately Slack has been having some connection issues whereby it is the only software in your system to not connect to the internet.

Gabriel
Gabriel
Specjalista ds. wprowadzania danych in Poland
Market Research, 51–200 Employees

Looking for the BEST communication tool at work? Choose Slack!

Comments: Slack is a very good tool that supports communication in a team. At work, I use it every day to communicate with my colleagues and I can't imagine working without this application. The transition to Slack itself is smooth and after a few moments each new person or team begins to appreciate its simplicity and functionality. I recommend it to anyone who works in a team.

Pros:

I have been using Slack for over 8 months and one of the main reasons to use Slack is to limit e-mail communication.To be honest, in my work Slack has allowed me to completely stop using other messengers! I receive emails sporadically, about once a month,because the rest of the communication takes place on Slack. Everything in one place. How many times have you received an email that was not supposed to be sent to you or some of the people involved in the work were not attached to it? It happened to me notoriously. On Slack, you can create a channel where everyone involved in a given work can freely discuss. Great solution - the whole discussion in one place! If there is a need for more private discussion, you can create a group where only part of the team will be invited, or write a direct private message, such as on Skype, Lync, Messenger or Google Talks. It is also worth mentioning, that Slack is not just an internet application. It is also a series of applications designed for various systems - Windows, Mac OS X, and mobile systems - Android and iOS. These applications offer the same possibilities as the web application, and support notifications, thanks to which the use of Slack is even more enjoyable!

Cons:

I don't have much to say against Slack, but if I had to choose one thing, it would be definitely a file search. Finding anything, a file that was previously described in detail, is almost impossible. If I don't save a file at the time of receiving it, I can unfortunately forget about it, because finding it again is really difficult.

Sébastien
Sébastien
Directeur in Mexico
Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

Slack Must Be the Most Useful Communication Tool of the Modern Era!

Comments: Slack has allowed me to improve work relationships and provided a bridge to access different organizations in the same place, from freelance to more traditional enterprises. It has also been extremely helpful to communicate with fellow students at one university, as this is the chosen tool for all generic communications. Because it makes it easy to share code, images and videos either directly on the platform or through third-party services like Google Drive and Dropbox, it has enabled our teams to work more effectively and gather resources in one central spot. And because the search function is quick and offers different filters to narrow down the results to specific channels or members, it's easy to find what you are looking for. It has worked incredibly well for groups of hundreds of people connected at once with perfect synchronicity. Having the ability to stay updated on the fly thanks to the mobile application is also a great advantage that comes in handy more than once.

Pros:

I really enjoy how flexible Slack allows you to be by creating any number of channels you may need to break down conversations per topic. Beyond having the ability to create and join channels based on your needs, the feature to star items is particularly helpful when you are on the go and want to come back to a specific point in time quickly. It is easily accessible with just one click (or tap on mobile) and makes it easy to remember key conversations that are happening. Slack also integrates brilliantly public conversations and what's called "direct messages", enabling you to have private conversations with any member within the organization, hence avoiding the need to use an additional platform for this specific purpose. There is also a neat and practical solution brought by Slack apps, which add even more features including the ability to share polls with Polly, integrate with GitHub, share files stored on Google Drive and Dropbox, which are the apps that we use the most. Being able to control notifications precisely, automatically snoozing them when you are unavailable, makes for a more peaceful experience when dealing with hundreds of members. There are also other features that make you life better, such as the many keyboard shortcuts and the built-in commands you can fire up directly from the reply area, including formatting options and interactions with Slack apps.

Cons:

On the down side, I have found it somewhat confusing to get to set up Slack within other services through their API, for instance to connect Slack on GitHub. Although the reply area is feature-rich, some functions like text formatting could be more intuitive. For example, you don't get to see live if your text will be bold or italic. Slackbot is useful to ask simple questions, but many times it will provide answers that are too simple and could easily be improved. Once again on formatting, Slackbot doesn't explain how to format "code" snippets in-line or even on multiple lines. Many hidden features can only be found by looking online in the "Help Center" or by trial and error, which is not as practical as being able to ask questions directly to Slackbot which should be able to handle those requests. I have also found the desktop application to simply be an exact replica of the web application. Apart from the fact that it adds a little Slack icon in the notification bar, I find it even less intuitive to use than the web application, as it requires to open a new tab in the web browser to sign in. By not being completely independent from a web browser, it basically just results in having a separate web browser that can only handle one tab, which makes it rather inconvenient, especially considering that notifications are well integrated in the web version and that you can "pin" tabs in most web browsers to keep Slack one single click or keyboard shortcut away.

Front End Developer in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Essential for Running any Tech Business in 2019

Comments: Overall, Slack has been able to bring our teams together on both large scale and smaller scale business services where there are no longer dependencies in communication because all the important information is either sent as a message on each channel or sent as a reference link on each channel.

Pros:

I currently run two separate companies, a tech repair company and a digital marketing firm, both of which rely heavily on large-scale business services. Slack allows both companies to efficiently manage each project with the channel functionality, where each of our projects is placed into a separate channel where we discuss important updates, share important documents and Tag important notes. All of this is made incredibly simple with slacks dead simple user interface and it's most certainly safe to say that our companies would face difficult times without this software.

Cons:

There is one small annoyance that I have had with the software ever since our companies began using it years ago: the naming scheme for each slack channel. Each channel requires you to have lowercase letters with no spaces allowed and instead only allows underscores. This obviously in not an important issue, but it has definitely annoyed me in the past when I had to retype some of my channel names.

Meisha
Marketing Manager in US
Computer Software, 501–1,000 Employees

Our Go-To Communication Channel

Comments: Great communication tool for teams and businesses—saves time and makes collaboration more efficient.

Pros:

I switched from using Skype at my last company to using Slack, and boy was it an upgrade. First and foremost, Slack is incredibly easy to learn and get used to. Once you're in there, it's easy to pick up on the nuances and other little hacks to make using the tool easier and more fun. I love the SlackBot, which can help set reminders and integrates with other tools (ex: Google Drive) to send updates on any comments, changes, etc. You can have group chats with up to 8 people, so organizing multiple conversations is relatively easy—though you cannot add someone to an existing chat/conversation, you'd have to set up a new chat with all parties. One of the other great features is the file-sharing functionality, where you can easily send over files, images, etc. for review and feedback. It saves a lot of time and reduces email clogs. Slack also offers a mobile app for on-the-go communication. It has been a bit buggy in the past (randomly stops working/shuts down) but has gotten better over time.

Cons:

As with most products with a paid solution, the free version does have a few limitations. With the free version, you can only see the last 10,000 messages—which sounds like a lot, but it can be a pain when searching for something mentioned in the past that's no longer available. And, not that this is necessarily a con, but it's important to be mindful of the information you share on Slack (or any other communication platform!). Admins can see everything that is shared and conversations can be requested for review.

Souhil
Souhil
Entrepreneur in Algeria
Design, Self Employed

The perfect Team Collaboration Tool

Comments: I really like Slack, and it saved me a lot of money and time because I have an online business and now I really don't need to have a real-life office to run my business and stay organized with the team I just use Slack with other tools Slack support and that's it, It's perfect for everyone especially small businesses like mine.
I use Slack daily and I will keep using it because I think it's the best tool for me and for my team and I really don't need to use another one because I can do everything I want with Slack and I know the team behind it is trying to do their best to improve it and add more useful and powerful features to help us stay organized.

Pros:

It's a very cheap and easy to use tool with a friendly user interface and I can change it to a dark theme which I like a lot. I like the chat option because I can send and receive real-time messages and chat with my team directly and the Slack messaging app is very powerful and amazing. I also like the emojis and gifs in the chat because it brings a lot of fun to the workspace. I feel very safe using Slack because they have a strong security system and I don't need to worry about the safety of my files when I share them. It helped me to save a lot of time and to stay organized and have all my projects in just one place and I really don't need to use other tools to do this. I really don't need to train my VA's to use Slack because some of them used it before and some they find it very easy to use and they get used to it in just a few days. I improved my productivity and now I don't need to waste any time because Slack helped me and the Team to developed focused channels and to focus on what's important for the company and for the business in general. I love the integration option Slack has because I can use it with multi-useful tools now for example Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Calendar, Zoom, Trello...etc. Their support is amazing and they have a lot of videos and tutorials about these tools and I learned a lot from them.

Cons:

They can improve the mobile app and add more cool features in the future. They can Improve the search feature because sometimes It's really hard to find something especially if the workspace is big and there are many channels. They can add a video chat feature to this tool because a lot of companies now are using the video option in other tools for better communication.

Bhavik Singh
Bhavik Singh
Content Strategist in India
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Slack: The Tool That Sent Email Conversations Packing

Comments: The main problems we're solving is to do with communication. Since all our team members are working from the comforts of their homes, we need a place to sync all the time. Slack provides that platform. It's the place we convene and dismiss. Slack feels like home now. Everybody's connected and readily available.

Pros:

Slack is one of the tools I didn't care about until I learned about it. And ever since I did, I've come to appreciate its awesomeness. Working in a SaaS company, with a work-from-home culture, software like Slack feels like an Elixr. There are no hassles when it comes to communication... No email. Simply interact and get the job done. The feature I like the most is its Huddle feature for 2-way audio-based communication. Overall, the software is pretty easy to use. Another cool feature is putting out status (in terms of availability). Whenever I'm AFK for lunch, I put on my availability status, just in case someone decides to reach out. It might sound small, but it works wonders when you're working from home. Another cool feature is that the messages are saved no matter how long back you or some team member (who might have even left) posted it. And there are so many integrations possible, which makes it ever so interesting. Playing trivia games daily is our team's one chance to engage in a virtual fun activity space, which is kind of fun. Also, I've had the opportunity to meet so many people in the various Slack communities. I mean there are other channels, but the quality of the network is definitely right up there.

Cons:

Even though Slack is an awesome tool, there's still some scope for improvement here. For instance, even though I mentioned Huddle as one of my favorite features, I've found some of my teammates complaining about not being able to connect, which gets a bit frustrating. Apart from that, there are features to set reminders and put other commands to help manage things better. I wish there was some kind of tutorial available to learn these things earlier. Another thing I wish was there was the ability to put out memes. I mean, I get it... it's a serious kind of platform, but sometimes memes just get the job done. I'd like to conclude by saying that it'd be cool if we could delete our messages (maybe within 5 mins of posting) too apart from just being able to edit them.

Sahr
Sahr
Founder in Canada

Slack is an exceptional communications tool for teams of all sizes. I highly recommend it.

Pros:

Slack was built with a very powerful software architecture in mind, yet so many individuals can use it because of its friendly user-interface. The design is very fun, playful and gives you the powerful functionality that you never thought existed. For how many use cases there are in Slack, they make the user experience very streamlined and easy to pick up. In addition, you can sync a lot of the other programs that you use with their integration features. My favorite is the ability to keep up with internal conversations based on the topic. I personally dislike being in group chats where the conversation isn't relevant to me. It can be of annoyance receiving notifications that don't pertain to your role and you have to check and delete at a later time. With Slack, their channels can be very specific and allow you to pick and choose which ones you want to join.

Cons:

The biggest takeaway is if it's not used right within an organization, it can be a productivity killer. Slack connects to both your mobile device and your laptop so if you do not manage you notifications right, it can be virtually impossible to escape the conversations that are going on. Saying this, our team implements certain hours of the day where ALL phone and laptop notifications are off. Slack makes it possible to do this by changing your modes of availability and/or snoozing the notifcations for certain periods of time. As long as you limit the amount of channels to the ones that require you rattention and don't spend your whole day falling in the trap of checking your notifications all the time, it can be an awesome tool for communication.