MemberPress Reviews

by Caseproof

• Overall

About MemberPress

MemberPress is the best WordPress Membership Plugin. This Membership Software enables you to charge for access to your site.

Learn more about MemberPress

Jordan G.
Director, Product & Marketing
E-Learning, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/28

"Helped us move off Teachable"

Comments: Memberpress allows us to sell access to our LMS with different membership options. We've built some custom code to have full control of our user experience.

Pros: Easy to create memberships and assign courses to it with the LearnDash plugin

Cons: The LearnDash connection is kind of buggy and we had to create custom plugins to keep all courses in sync for all users

Robin M.
Owner - MacRed Designs (Artist, Designer, and Web & Digital Media Technologist)
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/11

"MemberPress is the ONLY tool you need for Digital Subscriptions"

Comments: I purchased MemberPress to meet the needs of a client who wanted to offer monthly & yearly service subscriptions to her clients from her website. I have been so pleased with Memberpress that I actively recommend it as one of my services to other clients & to fellow designers who are looking for that toolset.

Pros: MemberPress is extremely easy to set up, the training guides you along the way & support is GREAT! I researched multiple packages for digital subscription software and all the 5-star recommendations kept pointing back to MemberPress. I am a MemberPress fan FOREVER!

Cons: Some of the required default pages (Login, Account & Thank You) are very difficult to customize if you are not someone that is good with coding; and if you select the EDIT button on any of these they reset to a default page which is visually unfriendly - so you have to start all over again. Would like to see this updated so it is easier to customize for those of us non-coder designers.

• Reviewed on 2020/05/11
Vipin K.
Financial Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/28

"The best membership plugin in the peer group"

Comments: I run a membership product in financial services where users get to access premium content. I tried several other plugins but the most easy to use and implement has been Memberpress.Not to mention at a very competitive price.

Pros: Setting rules, creating memberships and getting signups is a breeze. It is ready to use and launch.

Cons: Except for Paypal, other country specific payment gateways are missing and one will have to do custom work to get them running.

Bruno R.
Periodista
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/04/30

"Very complete and easy to use"

Comments: Configured once, work with it over years

Pros: Easy to configure, drip content, email automations for remembers users, paypal and stripe payments.
Great integration with Wordpress.

Cons: Once, some updates broke coupons codes, but fast solved.

• Reviewed on 2020/04/30
Mark D.
Designer
Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/28

"Up and running in less than an hour!"

Comments: So far so good. Someone suggested I try another, less expensive option for my membership site, but everything is working so well with MemberPress that I didn't think the money I would save was worth the trouble.

Pros: MemberPress was so simple to set up. I indicated what pages were to be protected. Set up the various membership levels. Integrated it with the Stripe payment portal. In less than an hour, I was done and people were signing up.

Cons: It took me a few tries to figure out the membership levels, but that's not really a fault of MemberPress. It was more me trying to do things too fast and missing steps in the documentation.

Michaël V.
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/25

"Switching to MemberPress was my best decision so far"

Pros: I switched from Buddypress where the options were limited and hard to find, so I was looking for a plugin that could offer everything I needed for one specific set price. After some research I stumbled upon Memberpress and even though I'm not an experience user by far; the setup was flawless and the configuration was very easy.

Cons: My experience with MemberPress hasn't reached the level of "I'm looking for something but I can't find it here" yet so I can't really think of anything right now

• Reviewed on 2020/05/25
Aaron R.
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/01

"All of the power and options, with much less hassle"

Comments: MemberPress controls access to back office functions for contractor sales agents. It allows me to ensure that agents under contract have access to some parts of the site, agents who are no longer under contract but still have unsettled business can still access a smaller subset of the site, and agents considering entering a contractual relationship can be given person-specific access to a different discrete set of pages to help them make their decisions and fill out contract forms.

Pros: I was able to set up MemberPress on a somewhat complicated WordPress multi-site setup with a minimum of issues (those that did crop up were my own fault). Configuring multiple membership levels and controlling access by membership level was well-explained and easy to implement. And it was, by far, the easiest of the membership plugins I experimented with to get set up to handle membership payments.

Cons: Processing payments on the visitor end was easy enough, but managing the payments on the back-end can be confusing. Automatic renewal is only possible via subscription payments, and I couldn't find a way to override this to facilitate entry of annual subscription payments received in other ways.

Maggie D.
Website Manager
Hospital & Health Care, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/04

"Robust Membership plugin for Wordpress"

Comments: Overall, MemberPress is a really versatile and useful plugin for building a membership site and has lots of great features. We've found it to be a good fit for our business and are happy with it. Customer service is always fast and friendly if we have any questions or problems.

Pros: It's really easy to set up rules for which members can access what content. Our particular site offers downloadable resources, so Members are able to access all pages, but certain resources are only able to be viewed and downloaded by Members of specific membership levels. Once we set it up the first time, it has worked wonderfully and makes uploading new resources for various membership levels very easy.
The plugin is also fairly easy to adjust to suit our needs with very little coding knowledge needed. Most features are already included and it's just a matter of selecting them.

Cons: We offer a different annual price every year for new members, but old members continue to pay the price they first signed up with. At the moment, the 'Membership path' (going from free to paid, or paid down to free, for example) only allows a certain membership to be used once in paths. It would be much simpler for administrators if they could use a membership level in more than one path. As it stands for us, members who have signed up in previous years do not automatically go down to the free version if they stop their paid version. They simply cease to have access and we have to manually give them free access.

• Reviewed on 2020/05/04
Cheryl G.
Digital Consultant
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/28

"A quality solution for building online learning and resources on Wordpress"

Comments: I've set up Memberpress on a dozen websites in the last 5 years and whenever I've had a question or difficulty the team has responded very helpfully.

Pros: Memberpress is super flexible and caters for multiple offerings, groups and commercial terms, with solid, well supported software. We've installed it on various websites, from online fitness training, choir memberships, to online personal finance courses. These vary from one-off pay-as-you-go transactions to view content, through to recurring subscriptions.

Cons: It can take some time to understand how the different components: memberships, groups, rules and pages/posts affect each other and to really test every scenario of how a user would interact with the website.

Julie G.
Writing & Editing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/29

"Very Easy to Use "

Comments: I've had Memberpress for over 10 months now and am very happy with it.

Pros: I'm no tech expert so I really appreciated how easy this plugin is to use and manage a membership offering on my website. I also like how users go directly through the program for lost passwords, and don't require my assistance.

Cons: I wish the affiliate program was integrated. I am upgrading my basic membership to Pro so I can get Affiliate Royale. It is still a good deal.

• Reviewed on 2020/05/29
Daniel F.
  • Reviewed on 2017/12/05

"The most robust and sensibly designed of the wordpress membership plugins"

Comments: Robust wordpress membership platform which we use for delivery of paid courses and learning management. Acts as a complex framework on which you can build a very elaborate membership site rich in features and with quite customisable behaviour.

Pros: It doesn't take over your installation and hog the wordpress admin like many plugins do. It keeps itself in its own section and has a reasonable number of settings. Memberpress should really be considered a membership framework upon which you can assemble a versatile range of membership and subscription based sites rather than an out of the box product, i.e. there's still a lot of work to do yourself but memberpress will help you more than it will cause headaches, and that is not always the case with wordpress membership plugins. Really fantastic rule making section means that you can create things like tag and category restrictions or take it to a whole level of complexity and control by restricting custom post types and taxonomies. The latter approach is excellent for those combining this with custom fields and really customising the admin panel heavily. Integrations are not endless but are well considered and usually best of class i.e. Stripe, Paypal, Mailchimp, Drip etc...

Cons: Because it's a framework really, it is possible to use memberpress badly if you are not an experienced wordpress developer. Not making good rules for restriction and relying on per page restriction for example can set you up for a messy future and makes you very dependent on memberpress. The forms and payment workflow could be nicer. The user self-service section needs some work although it can be styled with CSS. it would be nice if the defaults were a bit more modern and adapted a bit better to themes. More action based hooks would be useful to make a very customisable membership signup and upgrade flow.

• Reviewed on 2017/12/05
Fanny V.
webdesigner
Telecommunications, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/28

"My Go_To membership plugin"

Comments: I create online training websites and membership websites with Memberpress & Divi and Learndash.

Pros: All the features and options. To be able to build a full Membership site

Cons: The price ;-)
But I choose a plan with enough licenses for happy clients.

Amanda H.
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/01

"Good Solution for Membership Website"

Comments: It’s been great so far!

Pros: This software integrates easily in Wordpress websites. While the UI is a little challenging, the software is very feature-rich.

Cons: The transaction vs subscription relationship is confusing. Also, the lack of built in directory feature.

Dan S.
editor
Furniture, Self Employed

"Top membership software"

Comments: Main benefit is it keeps everything in one place, easy to manage and create unlimited subscriptions. I'm really happy with the product and service. As my business grows it will also allow me to add more subs packages, which is great to know for the future.

Pros: Ease of use and all the tutorial videos that come with it explain everything to set up easily. The layout, functions and software management have been great so far. Experienced no issues other than creating corporate accounts, which I needed to upgrade for. Haven't used all features yet but looking forward to using the download content option to protect. Really useful feature for digital publications.

Cons: Nothing so far! (Maybe include the corporate membership option in basic for beginners).

Anthony S.
Web Freelancer

"Great Membership Plugin"

Comments: As a freelance webmaster, I have used it on a few different websites and it has done the job for me.

Pros: I like that it was easy to set up and use. I showed the end-users how to use it and they were able to pick it up right away.

Cons: It was tough to figure out how to get all the features to work correctly with PayPal. I had to experiment with it to get it to integrate, but I finally got it.

Jeff P.
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/28

"It's the Leader in Membership Sites"

Comments: We have several companies that are using it for maintaining membership for a scientific genetics company, a sportsman club, a business who has training for its members, and more.

Pros: I have used MemberPress with my clients on very complex projects for years. It is easy for our development team to implement, launch, and pivot if necessary. I highly recommend MemberPress for any company that needs a robust membership site that is there to help and support your efforts.

Cons: I feel the only area where I would like to see it more robust in regards to output are the Member Notices.

Scott G.
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/14

"Still the Best Member Software Around!"

Comments: Flawless!!!

Pros: I've been using MemberPress for over 5 years. It was brilliant back then and has continued to evolve. I use it personally on my own site, as well as recommend and have running with numerous clients. It's always worked flawlessly but the look and feel has continued to improve with each update. Very easy to use as both developer, end client users and members. Highly recommend!!

Cons: Early look and feel customisations were an issue but that can be overcome as developer knowledge progresses- or a child theme with custom css.

John M.
Program Development, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/02

"Excellent software for eCourse development"

Pros: We chose MemberPress because we wanted to develop a custom eCourse solution for our business, to exercise more control over the design and functionality not offered through the large eCourse hosting providers. We developed the custom solution that met our needs and MemberPress provides the gating and protection that we require.

Cons: We'd like to see greater control over the payments infrastructure, but even with some challenges on that end, the software does everything that we need it to do.

• Reviewed on 2020/05/02
Matt V.
Education Management, 2-10 Employees

"Highly recommended"

Comments: Very positive. Worth the money.

Pros: Easy to install and use. Never had any issues with WordPress compatibility. Very sophisticated options for permissions management.

Cons: Some of the key pages are difficult to edit - e.g. checkout - without more advanced CSS skills. If you use a Theme editor it's difficult to keep core pages on brand. Also, while range of add-ons is really good, documentation on how to make them work with MemberPress could be substantially improved.

Heidi D.

"Love MemberPress"

Comments: See answer above.

Pros: MemberPress does what more expensive apps do for a fraction of the costs. Not only have I used MemberPress for my 8+ online courses but I've also recommended it to other coaches and colleagues for their online courses. It's super user friendly too.

Cons: Honestly- nothing I can think of. I use aweber for email and it integrates beautifully.

Andrea M.
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees

"The Best Choice"

Comments: I have nothing but good things to say about MemberPress. When I started looking at how to operate my membership, I was overwhelmed with the options. After much research, I narrowed my choice down to MemberPress and I'm so pleased I did.

Pros: MemberPress does everything I needed it to do, and more. Setting it up was a breeze, and tech support is second to none.

Cons: It would be nice to have the ability to "unlock" content on a case by case basis, but I've managed to work my way around this.

Sofia P.
Program Launch Strategist
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/14

"I love everything about MemberPress"

Comments: Very satisfied with the overall experience with MemberPress and use them often when building membership sites for clients.

Pros: Its functionality and easy setup features. Extensive customisable options and quick integration with payment gateways. Customer service is great and fast to respond to questions and willing to login to solve the problems promptly. Very elaborate tutorial library for when we feel stuck with anything that we are setting up.

Cons: Even though MP integrates with a wide variety of 3rd party apps they are still a few missing that I could benefit from. Also more payment gateways options for those that can't use Paypal or Stripe.

Eugenio R.
CEP
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/01

"Great software, almost perfect"

Comments: Give my users a great experience and protect my content

Pros: Its functionality and tools. Customer support is good.

Cons: Lack of tools and adjustments for strategic sales and restrictions. To expensive.

Kate F.
Yoga instructor
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/05

"Happy I switched to memberpress!"

Comments: Their help team is very responsive and the interface makes sense and is easy to use after you get used to it

Pros: The price allowed me to cut costs by a lot in my business and once I got the hang of it it’s very easy to use

Cons: Initially I found it really hard to figure out how to get started but their support team was really helpful. I’m not very tech savvy but Now it’s very obvious how to use

• Reviewed on 2020/05/05
Susan K.
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/14

"Ease, Functionality and Expansion"

Comments: Thus far, a few months in, I am loving it! I look forward to reviewing again in 6 months or 1 year and showing the true success I've seen from the platform, and how it has made my life easier and company grow!

Pros: After trying a lot of different platforms over the years, the ease of moving courses, customizing and making sales is what drove me to purchase. I need robust but simple and MemberPress does exactly what I need. Loved I didn't need to buy anything else to make the transition flawless (where other platforms I've needed to use a different this, or a different that). One and done!

Cons: Integration cumbersome initially, but my IT guy quickly transitioned and helped. I would have loved a QUICK SET-UP guide or a SET-UP and make a sale within 2 hours.