• Overall
    4,2 /5
    4,4 /5
    3,8 /5

About Zenefits

Eliminate the stress and complexity of HR administration for you and your employees.

Learn more about Zenefits

Shae J.
Human Resources Director
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/16

"Seamless low-cost solution for small to mid-sized companies that kills busy work"

Comments: -Paperless onboarding/offboarding to support a remote workforce -Integrations with existing ATS, removing the needs for duplicate data entry -Digital document storage, allowing us to digitize all employee files. No more paper! -Time off tracking: Automatic rating to managers for review and approval of all time off requests while keeping the HR team aware of team schedules. Transparent reporting to have conversations with employees regarding the time off trends (% of unplanned versus planned time off). Time off solution also supports Prop 206 mandated sick leave. -Health insurance platform that allows for the execution of open enrollment, qualifying life events and new hire enrollments for all lines of coverage (med, dent, vision, life and disability). HSA app built in to allow employees to review available balances and submit out of pocket expenses. -ACA compliance: Built into existing subscription model that allows for ACA reporting, submission to IRS and 1094/1095 creation without the need for an accountant or an expensive solution. -Business intelligence: Real-time standard and customized reporting. I use this solution heavily as a federal contractor to execute our annual affirmative action reporting.

Pros: With a solution like Zenefits, I have managed to reduce the HR budget year-over-year while going 100% paperless. The integration with our applicant tracking system allows me to push data seamlessly from my mobile device directly to Zenefits to extend an offer, wherever, whenever. I am no longer chained to the constraints of my desk, which is critical for an HR team of one. Easily the most comprehensive solution in the market (at this price point) that addresses onboarding/offboarding, automated and customized email triggers to employees, time and attendance, insurance, aca compliance, reporting (standard and custom) and a multitude of integrations. Since becoming a client over 2 years ago, I have gone to market year-over-year, and haven't found a solution that is comparable. Zenefits kills the busy work and allows me to dedicate time to our employees and driving meaningful initiatives, restructuring the experience with HR to being a partnership versus an administrative burden.

Cons: I would love it if the custom email triggers were built out with greater functionality. Right now I highly utilize this tool but I see the opportunity for additional growth. The site should have a support number listed in the event of an outage. Right now you can only access support if you are logged into the dashboard.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/16
Jennifer N.
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/13

"Life Saver"

Comments: Time Saved! Compliance is always taken care of...not much to worry about.

Pros: Zenefits was a life saver for me! Everything was done manually before Zenefits so the amount of time is saved was amazing. The ease of use is incredible and I love the reporting capabilities.

Cons: Support response can be slow, especially for tax items

• Reviewed on 2020/11/13
Tiersa J.
Operatons
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/17

"Stay Away - save yourself the headache, it's not worth the hype."

Comments: I regret doing business with them. Even though I knew I was signing a year contract, and after many attempts at getting our taxes properly filed I felt I had enough valid issues and things we had been promised that they did not follow through on but they refused to let us out of our contract. We ended up switching mid year [which is not ideal] to another vendor and we had to pay the remainder of our contract to Zenefits even though we didn't use them for the last 8 months. Even the tax issues that we were still dealing with months later it was really difficult to find an email address to send to support to get our tax issue fixed - once you tell them you don't want to process your payroll through them they cut you off and you can't call the fake number either. It's been horrible and I am OVERJOYED THAT WE NO LONGER HAVE TO DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. The only reason I left the vendor BEFORE them was because we had outgrown them, we needed more features and functionality than they could provide. We have since moved on to better.

Pros: Very little. We signed a year contract, and switched after 4 months because we had so many legal and tax issues that they caused.

Cons: 1. The set up process was a nightmare - it took weeks because the system kept saying a certain part was done and a week later I would get an URGENT email that that part still had to be completed.
2. Several items I was guaranteed at sign up - and I have in writing - for pricing and functionality, were later denied to us. Providing proof of what we were told provided no further help.
3. There is no "real" phone number. You can call tech support, but all they will say is they will have "that department email you within XX number of hours" Many times it was up to a week, and often the issue was not resolved because no matter how we explained it they didn't understand the issue. And all support is handled through email no matter what, even if a phone call would SAVE HOURS OF TIME!
4. The pre- and post-tax items were entered into the system, come to find out they didn't classify them properly so the taxes were not calculated correctly.
5. The FEDERAL and STATE TAXES were filed incorrectly and we had tax notices from both that we owed money past due, then we ended up getting a small refund because one was paid twice. The state taxes for the first quarter of the year were NOT FILED AT ALL, even though they told me they had done so.
6. The tax reports are NOT AVAILABLE in your portal, you have to specifically request them - this to me makes no sense.
7. There is more but this will do for now.

by Zenefits on 2020/03/04

Sad to hear your experience was less than ideal Tiersa. We will use your feedback to improve training and the user experience.

• Reviewed on 2020/01/17
Tracy I.
VP of Operations
Market Research, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/19

"Long time user of Zenefits"

Comments: Overall it's been super positive. Mistakes are always made, but Zenefits tries to rectify and solve problems instead of throwing their hands up and saying it's too hard.

Pros: What makes Zenefits most valuable to our business is the ease of onboarding new people and providing a 1 stop place for my HR department that is completely in the cloud and no need for reams of paper to be wasted. The PTO calendar and tracking is invaluable as well.

Cons: Zenefits started as a Benefits company with an HR platform, but has pivoted to providing Payroll as it's core business with the other add-ons. There is still some room for improvement on the payroll side and how to handle the customer service side of this.

• Reviewed on 2020/11/19
Micah T.
Logistics Officer
Medical Devices, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/21

"Great all-in-one HR software"

Pros: Lots of tools in one software (payroll, PTO tracking, timeclock, integrations, hiring/firing, doc management, etc)
Easy to setup, easy to use
Integrates with our 401K, medical, etc

Cons: Support is a bit clunky
Can be a little slow

• Reviewed on 2020/11/21
Kelsi W.
Admin Assistant
Construction, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/28

"Zenefits Review"

Comments: our overall experience with zenefits has been positive. The on boarding tools offer a wide variety of options an customization that really make the initial process a lot easier.

Pros: The part that we liked most about zenefits is that it gave us one place to keep all employee documents. We also like that we could set up an employee by using the on boarding (hiring) service through zenfits which allows the employee to start their profile an also fill out needed employment documents electronically.

Cons: Initially we thought that the time card piece of zenefits was something that we were going to be able to use and would be rather handy for us. We quickly learned that Zenefits has not yet set up this module in a way that truly works for subcontracts who have to track employee's time by job number and phase code both. It can be done but takes a large amount of manual entry on the administrators part which then defeats the purpose of using such a tool.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/28
Strategic Planning Project Manager
Government Administration, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/07

"User friendly solution, good experience overall"

Comments: We were able to get a good grasp of our employee timekeeping, and it saved us a lot of time processing payroll each week.

Pros: I liked how easy it was to manage payroll. I also really appreciated all of the resources for HR handbooks, job descriptions, performance reviews, etc. Customer service was great, and really flexible with some of my out of the box requests. Having our employees clock in via our ipad app was handy. The mobile features were rough at first, but are coming around nicely.

Cons: The templates for new contractors and new hires were rather lackluster. It was also a little clunky and almost overly simplistic to pay contractors. Tax prep wasn't the smoothest.

by Zenefits on 2020/03/04

Thanks for your review. We appreciate your feedback.

• Reviewed on 2020/01/07
Laura B.
Music, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/17

"Not for Small Businesses"

Comments: Terrible.

Pros: That it helps manage HR stuff - but there are others out there that actually may have a Customer Service Department.

Cons: Zenefits has a slick sales process, however, once you sign, you are on your own. The set up process was a nightmare for us and took almost 4 months before we could run our first payroll. Four months. Once we ran that payroll, we have literally been on our own. There is ZERO customer service in this company. If you have a payroll question, forget it. Recently we were assigned a Customer Success Manager who literally takes 2 weeks to respond to an email and then tells us we need to email Customer Service. It unreal to be paying this expensive service and not be able to get support when running a payroll or needing something related to taxes. Stay away. I can only assume they are more interested in larger companies. The platform is pretty basic and does not have the flexibility to truly work for any kind of company that has both FT exempt staff and PT non-exempt. I feel like everything I asked about I was told would work and then I found out after signing that, well, no it really does accommodate what we need. Very disappointed with this company and regret doing business with them.

by Zenefits on 2020/02/26

Hi Laura,
We are sorry to hear that you are less than satisfied with your experience. As a current customer, you do have options. Have you spoken with your CM/CE? They are able to assist with finding answers. We also offer clients the opportunity to join our online community. There you have direct access to SME's like our product team as well as your Zenefits peers (who can help with navigating the platform).
Please let me know if I can connect you with someone.

• Reviewed on 2020/02/17
Co-founder
Telecommunications, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/16

"Turn-key payroll and benefits solution for start-ups"

Comments: Over, I would highly recommend Zenefits for companies that are looking for a simple way to manage their HR needs.

Pros: Very simple and intuitive interface.
Makes managing HR, payroll, and benefits easy.

Cons: Could have more seamless integration of 3rd party healthcare providers.

• Reviewed on 2020/11/16
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/25

"User friendly!!"

Comments: Wonderful overall, would definitely recommend

Pros: I love how incredibly user friendly zenefits is for the staff and management. The convenience of the app is a big bonus too.

Cons: Wish there was more customization available

• Reviewed on 2020/11/25
Bz P.
Director of HR
Libraries, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/29

"Zenefits - Easy Peasy"

Comments: This is a great software for a distributed workforce. We have employees in different 20 states and 40 different locations. Zenefits makes it easy for us.

Pros: This software is so easy to use for both the employees and the HR team. Everything is simple and straightforward, no convoluted quirky tricks needed to enter information. Hiring and onboarding is super easy. Open enrollment is super easy. Payroll is super easy. PTO management is super easy.

Cons: There are some tie in products that still need some work.

• Reviewed on 2020/05/29
Sandy H.
HR Generalist
Financial Services, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/21

"User Friendly and Intuitive"

Comments: The efficiency of Zenefits when it comes to onboarding is a huge timesaver. We're able to send employees key information they need before and after they start working with us with no manual work. I cut down on a few hours of work per week with this feature!

Pros: Zenefits is super simple to learn how to use, both for Admins and for Employees. My employees love being able to use the software for benefits enrollment, time off, and other requests. It's easy to teach someone how to use it because honestly, I don't really have to--the interface is really simple and easy to understand. Saves me a ton of time as an HR professional!

Cons: The Time Off reporting could be more robust, but this will come with time. As our company grows we're looking to pull more quick reports on PTO accrual and other balances, and some of the values we're looking for aren't readily available. There have been some changes in this area though, so the developers recognize how the system should be improved.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/21
Shae J.
Director of Human Resources
  • Reviewed on 2018/12/03

Cons: I wish the performance management module was baked into the subscription versus an add-on cost. The transition to a new brokerage, OneDigital, has come with its challenges, but I appreciate that the leadership teams both with Zenefits and OneDigital have been willing to personally speak with me to determine how gaps can be bridged to improve my experience as the employer.

• Reviewed on 2018/12/03
Mike M.
HR Manager
Publishing, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/05/21

"Feature-Packed HR Platform"

Pros: At our small company, we use Zenefits for basic HR administration like onboarding and enrolling employees in health benefits. It has saved us a lot of time over the past couple of years, particularly with the elimination of paper forms and the fact that it communicates with our healthcare provider. There are a lot of features on the platform and more seem to pop up every few weeks. The recent redesign has also made things a little easier for both administrators and employees. Our staff members also like the Time Off functionality in the system, whereby they can submit vacation or work-from-home requests and managers can then easily approve them directly from an email notification. Recently, the activation of the ClubZen area has given us a chance to interact with other Zenefits customers and provide direct feedback to the Zenefits team, which is an interesting idea and one that gives us a sense of belonging to the community at large. Monetarily speaking, we also think that the system is a great value for the price, even if we don't necessarily use every single feature available to us with our subscription.

Cons: The platform itself works well for the most part, though occasionally I'll run into areas where setting up a policy or enabling a feature seems a little esoteric and not too straightforward. Zenefits has also been working hard to improve their customer service, which has been a sore point for quite a few customers in the past. For this year's open enrollment, for example, I had to specifically reach out to the customer service team to get the process started, and was bounced around a little bit before landing with a benefits advisor. However, things were smooth after that. I think if these factors can be improved, the system will be really great.

• Reviewed on 2018/05/21
Lauren S.
HR Director
Food & Beverages, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/04/12

"Zenefits Review - French Broad Chocolates"

Comments: It would be great if there were a way to require that employees enter bank account information and disable the paper check option all together. I believe this is legal in North Carolina, where we are located, as long as the employee receives a pay stub. It would also be amazing if there were a built in team communication portal. We currently use GSuite to build Groups which can encompass non-Gmail email addresses, as well as HotSchedules. It is a bit difficult to always be adding folks' emails to so many different systems. If Zenefits could track employee reviews based on their position/wage changes, that would also be amazing! That's all for now.

Pros: The aesthetic of the site is nice. The overall idea of employee/administrator shared duties is nice. The onboarding process is almost as efficient as I think it could be and the insurance function works pretty well with some exceptions. The multiple integrations with other software are also vast and offer many options for integration.

Cons: Does not integrate with QB Manufacturing Edition. Does not offer multiple job roles/pay rates (this keeps us from further exploring any timekeeping or alternative payroll integration). Org chart does not allow for multiple owners/CEOs. Does not allow for tracking of certifications or training for employees. Insurance deductions aren't correct after 2 fixes...still waiting on support for this. There is no general alert system upon logging in, as there was on the old platform. I-9 verification does not require employees to upload enough documentation. i.e. they can upload a driver license and not the 2nd form of ID, so when I receive the request to verify, there is only one form of ID there and I have to chase them down for the 2nd. If they do go into Zenefits to upload another form of ID, it is difficult to navigate.

• Reviewed on 2017/04/12
Sean H.
Controller
Hospitality, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/27

"Easy and Convenient"

Comments: Very positive. I have never used an outside service for basic HR functions before, but was pleasantly surprised at how much work Zenefits saves me by letting employees enter their own info.

Pros: Easy to use - Managers can access/input/share the info they need, employees can fill out their own info which saves HR a lot of work. Customer Service can be contacted easily. Reports/Info can be accessed easily. Reminders are emailed to you if any necessary information is missing.

Cons: I believe Zenefits does not have the ability to pay third party garnishments directly.

• Reviewed on 2020/05/27
Director of People
Financial Services, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/18

"Easy-to-use software takes the pain out of PeopleOps"

Comments: I was thrilled to join a company that had already implemented Zenefits, because the product is dynamic and nimble, fitting our needs. We have been able to use many features, including benefits enrollment, payroll, reporting, integrations with our systems, onboarding, time and attendance and more. Whenever we've had a question we've been able to find the answer via the trainings provided, or by reaching out to the support team. We've also been impressed with features that Zenefits rolled out related to COVID 19 (like the PPP loan estimator, and Truework for health checks. It would be very painful to not have the tool - highly recommended for small and medium sized businesses.

Pros: Zenefits is easy to implement and to use. Our team members rarely need any help with the product - it is clear what it can do and how it needs to get done. I appreciate that Zenefits allows us to integrate so many products in one spot (our ATS, learning management and performance management systems all have links back to Zenefits) and that it gets so much done for us. During COVID-19, we've onboarded 100 new employees in a virtual only setting, and much of the ease has been due to how much work Zenefits automates for us.

Cons: Sometimes configuration of payroll or benefits can feel tricky - however, my experience with it has been better in Zenefits than other platforms.

Joy W.
HR Manager
Real Estate, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/18

"Zenefits makes my job so much easier!!"

Comments: Zenefits streamlined and Simplified our HR! As the only HR person, Zenefits allows me to support all of our employees as if they had an entire HR department at their disposal. The online portal streamlines my HR management and provides the employees with 24 hour access to HR info. Zenefits provides EVERYTHING we need in one intuitive online portal... it handles the entire employee lifespan - from offer letters, hiring, onboarding, payroll, benefits administration, and termination.

Pros: My favorite feature is the hiring process - it allows the employee to handle the data entry to start their employee folder and upload their I-9 verification docs and all I have to do is cross verify the documents on their first day. So streamlined and private - for both employee and HR.

Cons: Little to no phone support available for user issues. Online live chat and email are main access to customer support. Can be frustrating when you're in a time sensitive pinch.

Barbara M.
HR Director
Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/17

"Giving credit where credit is due!"

Comments: Love the ease of use of Zenefits and it's user friendliness.

Pros: I love to give credit where credit is due. I have suggested to my HR peers the ease of using Zenefits several times. Our company chose Zenefits to be the HR/Payroll/Benefits management system for our fast growing company because we needed to automate and help employees self administer routine HR related tasks and help us manage this without having to add new FTEs to our HR dept functions. Our [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] did an analytical review of several vendors and Zenefits was by far the most comprehensive at the right price point that met all of our criteria. Going with Zenefits met our objectives and has allowed us to grow rapidly without consuming the company with manual HR/Payroll/Benefits administration. As with ANY HR platform, there are always items you would like to improve or change and Zenefits is always doing that and looking for feedback.

Cons: Customer service is slow to respond. The time card page often freezes up. There needs to be a way to add an additional manager. Need a disciplinary app.

• Reviewed on 2020/11/17
Teresa B.
Individual & Family Services, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/12/14

"Zenefits has been great for our company!"

Pros: Zenefits has been a great way for a small business, like us, to ease into technology. It has really great and helpful tools, the cost is far less than alternative options, and their customer support is usually excellent. It has helped cut down benefits paperwork tremendously, kept us ACA compliant, streamlined our hiring process, and we were able to customize other areas (such as documents) to help us track policies & trainings. We're still finding ways to be able to customize it to work for our company. So with all of the options we use and new ways we are able to customize it, the cost continues to go down once it's all factored into the equation.

Cons: Zenefits is a fast moving company, so sometimes changes come fast and furious. They usually are good changes, so that helps ease the burden. However, sometimes it can feel like I just learned how to use something and then it changes. But I guess that's also just the new normal. Other than lots of changes, I really don't have a lot of cons. When I come across issues, I contact a customer service rep and things are usually taken care of. I'm sure there are little things I would tweak here and there, but nothing significant that would make me not recommend using this product.

• Reviewed on 2017/12/14
Billy S.
Controller
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/28

"Win-win-win"

Pros: Zenefits offers multiple HR processes in one system in a very user-friendly format. When we consolidated payroll, on-boarding, time tracking, FSA, and benefits admin, in one system, we saved time and paid less than what we were paying for all of the other systems combined. The ease of use of the system is really the special sauce though. It ensures the end-user keeps their individual information up-to-date.

Cons: Customer support could be better. When we first joined we were able to pay for a premium support package but that option is no longer available. Wait times have been long lately.

• Reviewed on 2020/05/28
Venugopal S.
Technical Support
Insurance, 5 001-10 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/08/20

"With the introduction of Zenefits!! Get most of your HR Problems Released!!!!"

Pros: In today’s life, a very big problem that big companies are facing is that HR is not manageable. I have seen a lot of companies that are facing this problem extremely. So, to overcome these barriers and make the flow smooth a brilliant software had been launched named: ZENEFITS!! It provides a platform that can be easily understood and can be used by an ordinary person. Great Na!! It also stores time and attendance of its users and supports Integration. One great thing is also that it provides a completely automated and electronic employees on-boarding services. It integrates all the functions of HR management under one roof only. This one is Awesome Guys!! It also supports reporting and filing data of ACA as well as it also supports customer service.

Cons: This application excludes international payrolls and having some problems in permanent storage of details of employees (Like mailing address of employees). Sometimes very awkward problems arise like managers are not able to access all the details of employees etc. Its Insurance Integration is also very bad as well as it provides only a few reports that are almost of no use. In comparison to its competitors, its prices are a little bit higher which also increases its cons. It has no performance management tools as well as it is not full HRIS, it is a basic system so use according to your needs.

• Reviewed on 2018/08/20
Kate N.
Construction, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/19

"Excellent HR platform for growing companies"

Comments: We are able to manage Benefits, Payroll, Performance Management, Time Off Requests, and Paperwork all from one system.

Pros: This program ties together most of our HR needs into one platform, making it easier for HR staff and employees to access the information they need. We process our payroll through Zenefits and they offered some 401k third party company options, which allows those benefits to be seamlessly integrated.

Cons: Support can be difficult to get online at times. They have a chat feature, which is most convenient for me as an administrator, but the wait times can be long or the chat request may be converted over to an email. This is a problem I have noticed over the past 3-4 months.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/19
Will F.
CFO
Online Media, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/14

"Good and Bad at the Same Time"

Comments: Please check out what I had to say for cons. If you can live with having no number to call, or at least, not a number that take you to a human who can answer your questions, then the features and software are solid. The pricing is what you would expect based on the features.

Pros: This SaaS has tons of features and can really help a small business get over those HR hurtles, although it won't replace the most valuable assets that a in-the-flesh HR person brings. Adding their payroll integration was a big win since our company was using a 401(k) admin that required manually keying in EVERYTHING back when we used intuit for payroll. So props for that!

Cons: OKAY, hear me out. The on-boarding process is unacceptable. I wouldn't be surprised if half of their potential client base ended up BACKING-OUT during on-boarding. I mean, it takes 2-4 weeks, you'll already be looking a bill on your credit card, and to make matters worse, the only staff that have a phone number are SALES PEOPLE! You guessed it, the sales staff CAN NOT help you with your on boarding., PERIOD.

by Zenefits on 2020/02/26

Will, we appreciate your review.

• Reviewed on 2020/02/14
Lauren G.
Product Support Team Lead
  • Reviewed on 2020/03/25

"Easy to use HR Platform"

Comments: Overall, I've enjoyed using Zenefits as both an employee and a manager. I enjoy the easy access to documents, overall design, and helpful Support team.

Pros: I've used Zenefits for almost 4 years now, and I've always enjoyed its ease of use and UI, compared with other HR portals I've used in the past (like ADP). As an employee, it's always easy for me to request time off, view other employees in the organization, view/manage benefits, file HSA claims, and more. When I started my job, I remember how easy the onboarding process was with digital signatures on documents and other important forms. I'm now a manager and enjoy the interface for each of my direct reports. As a visual person, I also enjoy the simple design and color scheme. Reaching out to the Support team is also easy - via email and requesting a call. Support agents have been helpful and friendly.

Cons: It's a bit vague about who I should contact with issues regarding my account, in the Help portal. I never know if I should I contact my HR Manager or Zenefits support directly? For example, my Zenefits HSA no longer works. I can't find info the Knowledge Base on how to get a replacement card. This will lead me to submit a support ticket, but I wish I could find the answer easier in the app. I also think an account walk-through would be nice for new users.

by Zenefits on 2020/03/26

Lauren, we appreciate your feedback and your business!

• Reviewed on 2020/03/25