BigCommerce Reviews

• Overall
    4,3 /5
    4,1 /5
    4,2 /5

About BigCommerce

B2B eCommerce platform that helps businesses manage orders, products, customers, revenue, reports, shopping carts, and payments.

Learn more about BigCommerce

Mark K.
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/21

"Bigcommerce edged out the competition for my online store."

Comments: I tried several shopping cart e-commerce solutions and found that Bigcommerce suited my needs the most. I ended up using a free style template and customized it myself saving me a lot of money. Online and phone support are top notch!

Pros: The ease of use was a major factor in my decision to go with Bigcommerce. There are many choices out there for online retailers to build their storefront. I liked the ease of customization and the large amount of standard features. Their integration with online marketplaces and social media really saves a lot of time.

Cons: There is an annual sales cap that I'm worried about, but when I get to that point I will just upgrade the service to where I need it. There are not enough free store style templates available. Custom styles get very costly. Some features that should be standard are non existent.

• Reviewed on 2020/02/21
Margaret M.
UX Analyst
Design, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/12

"Great e-commmerce platform if you can't afford custom designs but have a large inventory of products"

Comments: The company I worked for had a B2B e-commerce website, but wanted to start a second e-commerce site that was more B2C focused since the clientele had different needs, and the B2B site was not set up to accommodate all the new B2C business. We were able to set it up quickly and provide accurate shipping costs and product option costs.

Pros: I loved the versatility available for building product pages, being able to set it up so pricing adjusts automatically for different product options, and the import/export functions to update large inventories via Excel documents instead of manually editing within the web app.

Cons: Initial setup can be confusing, especially when new to e-commerce and knowing how to tell it to calculate tax, shipping, etc. Their customer service is great though, so if you're confused about a setting you can call and talk to someone very quickly. I rarely ever waited more than 5 minutes to talk to a rep.

• Reviewed on 2020/05/12
Rick C.
Computer Hardware, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/05/06

"If you are serious about growing your business, there is no other platform to consider."

Comments: For the most part, BC is attentive and addresses our issues. Reps change more frequently than I would like and they are not very helpful. Most aren't there long enough to learn the position. The core staff and the support team are second to none. There is not one weak link on the support team. You will not understand how important this is until you need help from another provider and wait 30 minutes to talk to someone who knows less about the product than you and learned English as a second or third language.

Pros: BigCommerce Support is not only the best there for an e-commerce platform. It is the single best support compared to every provider I have ever used. They answer the phones quickly. The person who picks up the phone knows what he/she is doing. Calls never have to be escalated and the issue is (almost) always resolved. My issues are normally fixed within 10 minutes of picking up the phone to dial. BC doesn't waste your time. PCI compliance was a big part of why we moved. BC takes it all on. We no longer have to provide scan reports or do any paperwork. Consistent conversion rates - there are few ups and downs. I can depend on my site to be functional. Adding products, categories and landing pages is simple. 2 months after moving to BigCommerce I let my entire development team go. We no longer needed any of them. Training an employee to add products takes just a few minutes.

Cons: Some things seem to take forever to get done. 301 redirects are difficult to manage and a fix has been in and out of the works for years. Product page load times can exceed 1000ms. Mobile PageSpeed is big in Google's eyes and we are slower than average.

• Reviewed on 2019/05/06
Daniel Q.
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/15

"Bigcommerce good for e-commerce store"

Comments: we have been using bigcommerce for about 2 years in our ecommerce website, we used before woocomerce which requires more programming knowledge and it is more time consuming, since we moved to bigcommerce, we noticed a huge difference in the speed of the website, with bigcommerce and basic knowledge of HTML you can accomplish a lot of goals and modifications of the templates, but if you don't have any website programming knowledge you can still have your decent website, the package that bigcommerce include with their pricing you have enough tools to start runing your business without investing too much time. we save a lot of time with bigcommerce , uploading the products through CSV files and then we can export back all the info from bigcommerce to others marketplaces like eBay or Amazon, we recommend bigcommerce if you don't want to spend too much money but at the same time you would like to have a decent website, we just recommend to bigcommerce add more features to customize the website, like make more dynamic like other competitors can offer like Wix, and also offer more different templates, animations, etc , with more professional look, they haven't updated the templates a long time ago, just basic updates thank you

Pros: -Very reliable
-Speed Website
-Friendly user
-able to sync to 3rd parties app
-good pricing
-simply to use

Cons: -lack of templates options
-lack of options that other competitors have
-freedom to personalized the website, most of the stuff is better to use the template
-limited on options to add videos or other links options type of fonts styles animations like other competitors

• Reviewed on 2019/04/15
Katherine C.
MBA - Strategic Designer
Marketing & Advertising, 5 001-10 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/17

"It's a good platform"

Comments: At some point we always found ourselves strengthening the site and working it on Wordpress, at least for the coding and styling. Bigcommerce for the product set up and integration with google shopping was effective.

Pros: The good thing is that you don’t have to buy web hosting or install anything on your computer to use it, since it's hosted. It has a good amount of templates you can explore. Despite it is thought for people less into web designing, it also allows more tech-savvy users and developers to apply some HTML and CSS styling.

Cons: You really need to evaluate well the plan that will help you the most according to your business growing strategy, if not, you'll feel limited. Review the transactions fees and the sale limits.

• Reviewed on 2020/10/17
Gordon D.
Sporting Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/18

"BigCommerce is what keeps my business going"

Comments: BigCommerce keeps my business going and does it easily. I have 1 other person that works with me so any excessive time spent on peripheral tasks cuts into our production significantly. With Bigcommerece I have not had to worry about that at all and get to keep doing what pays the bills.

Pros: As a web based business it is imperative that my website work and as a small business I have to be able to keep it going myself. BigCommerce fits both of those for me. I have set it up and managed it all myself. Some things are easier than others but overall this software is great.

Cons: Although they are constantly adding apps that integrate, there are not as many options as some other companies but they are constantly adding and updating them.

• Reviewed on 2020/02/18
CFO
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/15

"Small Commerce"

Comments: BigCommerce has allowed us to have an online store, but the manual processes related to it make the cost of having the site higher than expected. Simple things like a minimum order have to be coded in. If you are a midsize company, you might want to consider another platform.

Pros: Ability to have an online presence cheaply and easily.

Cons: Big Commerce doesn't allow for (and isn't even familiar with) level 3 processing for credit cards. The site also does not have a setting to establish the minimum amount of an order. Editing information about products is cumbersome; unless you are willing to export the entire contents of the site and feel comfortable importing it without problems.

• Reviewed on 2019/03/15
Ecommerce Marketing
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/04

"Great ecommerce solution, simple and easy to use"

Comments: Simple out of the box solution for an ecommerce website

Pros: Easy to add products to sell, easy to customize the design and look and feel, easy to take orders. Paypal express checkout friendly

Cons: Some portions of site cannot be customized, and when setting up products with multiple size/color options, it can get tricky.

• Reviewed on 2018/04/04
Jon V.
Marketing
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/25

"Stable with solid support"

Pros: The technical support has been terrific for the few issues we have encountered. The user interface is simple to learn, yet provides sufficient depth.

Cons: The price is by far the least attractive aspect to Bigcommerce, especially for a small business like we have.

• Reviewed on 2018/04/25
Elementary Math TOSA
1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/11/12

"Easy to use, good customer service."

Pros: I really like the customer service that BigCommerce offers. You can live chat with them at almost any time, and they can fix a lot of things remotely. It is very easy to use to do basic level e-commerce.

Cons: We have had a few weird glitches happen to our store, that the products disappear (but they've always been retrieved) and I think it's a bit expensive for a basic level. I also wish they offered a tiered system for options. For example, if you want envelopes you click here, then new dropdowns come down. We hired an engineer to help, and there were just some things that we couldn't do within the platform.

• Reviewed on 2017/11/12
Co-Founder & CTO
Internet, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/04

"Great ecommerce tool, one of the most comprehensive and they keep innovating"

Comments: Modern and powerful shop builder, it has all the features that we need

Pros: The tool has a great value for money and very advanced options for our business
We really see that the team is quite versed with ecommerce, and keeps innovating in the right direction

Cons: It is SO painful to log in! if you have subscribed to different sub-tools within the BC ecosystem (partner portal, webinars, shop...) no way you can do a successful log in on your first attempt! all tools are sharing the same login page and it will never get which one you are trying to access

• Reviewed on 2019/12/04
Marketing Coordinator
  • Reviewed on 2020/09/14

"Very Efficient but needs to integrate with more softwares"

Pros: I love how efficient this platform is and it's also very intuitive

Cons: BigCommerce isn't compatible with a lot of platforms, which is why we ultimately ended up switching to Shopify

• Reviewed on 2020/09/14
Website Manager
  • Reviewed on 2018/02/21

"One of the best eCommerce platforms out there!!!"

Pros: How easy it is to setup, applying a theme, adding products.. The whole package is very simple to get your online shop up and running and selling to your customers. The UI is very easy to use.

Cons: It's mainly towards US customers, as some aspects are not supported for the UK pound yet. They could do with more themes compared to other platforms out there.

• Reviewed on 2018/02/21
Amber L.
Office Staff
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/23

"Options That Can Apply to Many Products"

Comments: I had access to customer service whenever I needed it and customer service was knowledgeable and helpful.

Pros: Our products all have length options, price options, etc. I liked that I could create one option set - for example, I could set all of the lengths we had and the price increase for each length- and then apply that to multiple products as opposed to having to go into each individual product and creating options. It sped up the process of setting up our shopping cart.

Cons: There was nothing I did not like about this software.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/23
Co-Owner
  • Reviewed on 2018/10/18

"A+ ecommerce platform for your business"

Pros: I love everything about BigCommerce! After migrating from another ecommerce platform, we were stunned by the level of control we have over our site. Our previous provider did not allow its users to access the robots.txt file and wouldn't allow us fix our amp pages but BigCommerce gives you full control of those features.

Cons: I wish I could arrange the links on the admin page because I find it's hard to find what I'm looking for while using the drop-down menus.

• Reviewed on 2018/10/18
Peter W.
  • Reviewed on 2010/05/29

"Why We Switched two websites over to Bigcommerce from eCommerce and Kyozou!"

Comments: Very Professional, this company is top notch! The Head Honcho from the company actually cares about his products. We have been with them for almost 5 month now and we see a huge difference in sales as compared to our old sites. There are a tone of features build in (i.e, Daily Google Base Feeds, free SSL Certificates, free keyword optimization) along with actual detailed Help Videos that tell you what you need to do to use the features. When we first sign up, we were invited to a free teleconference seminar, where an actual person was on the other side, answering questions and showing us where to begin. Well For us comming from OSCOMMERCE its been awhile since we were able to speak with an actual person.

Pros: A couple of things that I personally like about Bigcommerce is the easy Youtube integration. The ability to sell on Facebook with the Bigcommerce social shop. NO hidden fees. And most important of all: How Easy it is to use. + They Listen!!

Cons: Maybe this is asking a little too much, again comming from no live tech support from oscommerce. Live Tech Support is only from 8 to 6pm. But they actually have Tech Support Available from 9 - 2pm, and 24 Hours through their on-line support system.

• Reviewed on 2010/05/29
Student Worship Pastor
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/17

"Easy to use but expensive"

Comments: It's pretty easy to use but has its limitations.

Pros: I implemented this software with a local manufacturer to sell their products online and it was easy to use, pretty intuitive, and hooked up with a number of other online services, which was great!

Cons: I don't like how expensive it is and it can be limited in what it can do, where a custom install like woocommerce on WordPress is much more customizable.

• Reviewed on 2018/04/17
Charles M.
Digital Marketing Admin
  • Reviewed on 2018/02/07

"A great e-commerce tool, but a few minor snags"

Pros: Bigcommerce is easy to use, with mostly straightforward functionality. Great for building websites, managing product and text pages.

Cons: Managing product pages and inventory in a bulk update via a CSV file can prove tricky, with no straightforward way of removing rules from products as one example.

• Reviewed on 2018/02/07
Julie L.
mkt consultant
  • Reviewed on 2017/08/08

"Great software to use for serious sellers"

Pros: Bigcommerce is easy to use, and most importantly, stable. Haven't had an issue with it. There are lots of options in terms of website design that you can pick from.

Cons: Customer service is okay. They have someone who can help you with the basic questions, but if you need any development help, they're not very great. (they dont' have techies providing the support) Even when you're on a paid plan.

• Reviewed on 2017/08/08
Kyle B.
Designer Web
Internet
  • Reviewed on 2018/07/19

"Very good solution for big online sales"

Pros: It is a professional looking platform, with a lots of features packed in this software, just install it and you are ready for a big fight.
Customer Support is available 24/7 on phone or email, as you can receive a quick helping hand at every hour on every timezone.
It does not have a big following but has top knotch stores with impressive sales.

Cons: It has only a few free templates, and the prices for the premium are a bit high compared to other platforms.

• Reviewed on 2018/07/19
Melanie E.
Content Specialist
  • Reviewed on 2018/09/06

"Offered My Client a Lot More Than Shopify Could"

Comments: Big Commerce is certainly easier for the amateur to use than Shopify (a huge plus for aome of my clients) and its out of the box options are excellent.

Pros: I don't DO e-commerce myself as a retailer but I have worked for plenty who do and have created more than a few retail sites from scratch. I first encountered Big Commerce when a new client was stymied by the fact that Shopify made it nearly impossible for him to sell digital downloads. A huge problem for a 21st-century comic book author. Redoing his site with Big Commerce allowed for that functionality and in working with it I found it more intuitive than Shopify as well.

Cons: It is perhaps a little expensive when compared to other options BUT for the project I used it for it got my client exactly what he needed and the jump in revenue for him has meant that the software more than pays for itself.

• Reviewed on 2018/09/06
Juergen K.
  • Reviewed on 2011/08/17

"Be careful to check all required features and (lack of) support!"

Comments: Overall BigCommerce might be the market leader, but we're finding too many problems with the software and very slow support. Eg. freight is a BIG issue in our case, as our company is selling bulky and heavy items, where a miscalculated price may be costing us quickly in excess of $50 on a single order.
• the system cannot handle "cubed weight" (by volume instead of weight) as charged by many transport companies
• you cannot define shipping method per item (eg. we send small items by Post, large items by freight forwarder)
• you cannot charge a handling/packaging fee for individual items
Support: forget it! I've waited for over a week to have a simple ticket resolved, a post in the "Community Forum" (second support venue) is still without a single reply after 6 days!!
Support staff seems to be of little inside knowledge when it comes to the coding (and resulting errors) of the software, so technical questions bounce back and forth [BigCommerce has always vacancies for Support].

Pros: + Looks easy - but looks are deceiving. Still fine for a limited product range and simple merchandise.

Cons: - Shipping calculation only works for small items (fine to sell phone sleeves or swimwear)
- Support often takes over 1 week to resolve a problem
- Software bugs take a long time to be acknowledged and even longer to be solved

• Reviewed on 2011/08/17
CSR
Retail
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/08

"Good platform, easy to use"

Pros: Packed full of features and integrated plugins and apps with no expert knowledge required. It is cheaper than Shopify and has everything you need to implement a successful eCommerce business.

Cons: Still more expensive than regular hosting but with all the bells and whistles it is actually a good value, especially for someone without website knowledge.

• Reviewed on 2018/06/08
Tomer D.
Natural health Bag
Aviation & Aerospace, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/23

"good if you want to scale"

Pros: so we move from Magento to Bigcommerce and the only reason is that the open source in our case make it more complicated to move forward and scale

Cons: you're limited with the amount of customization you're able to do

• Reviewed on 2019/08/23
Tierra B.
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/10

"Meh. It gets the job done"

Pros: Great price for the product, easy to configure, lots of seo integration and cart recovery isn’t an additional cost

Cons: Adding products is so time consuming. The templates aren’t as pretty and clean as other shopping carts, but it gets the job done

• Reviewed on 2018/04/10