15 years helping South African businesses

About BigCommerce

A leading software-as-a-service (SaaS) ecommerce platform that empowers merchants of all sizes to build, innovate, and grow.

Learn more about BigCommerce

Pros:

It has a good amount of templates you can explore. Despite it is thought for people less into web designing, it also allows more tech-savvy users and developers to apply some HTML and CSS styling.

Cons:

Support sometimes doesn't know everything about ongoing issues with the platform so sometimes it is frustrating to iterate an issue that team members don't even know are happening.

BigCommerce ratings

BigCommerce has an overall rating of 4,4 out 5 stars based on 318 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used BigCommerce before?

Nathan
Nathan
Sporting Goods, 11–50 Employees

Among the best ecommerce solutions for growing businesses

5,0 4 years ago

Comments: We initially transitioned from Lightspeed eCom over to Bigcommerce because their platform offered greater scalability and entry-level features than what Lightspeed offered. Because we use Lightspeed POS, however, integrating product data between the systems was a challenge and a lengthy process. It also takes some effort to maintain the connection (via a third-party service using their API).

Pros:

Bigcommerce offers some of the most inclusive features in their entry-level product options, making them excellent for small businesses. Their level of customer support and transparency about service issues and new features in development are excellent and perhaps one of the main reasons why we've kept using Bigcommerce instead of switching to a platform that meets other essential features that we are still awaiting from Bigcommerce. The availability of third-party apps (including shipping and logistics integrations) has been great to work with so far.

Cons:

Storefront development is currently very lackluster and it can be difficult to get a truly customized website without hiring a developer or investing in web development skills of your own. This is also true of their e-mail features. If you don't have more than a basic understanding of HTML, it will be next to impossible to customize their system e-mails without a third-party solution. Also, while their entry-level features are among the most plentiful in the industry, a few features (such as Google Reviews integrations and Abandoned Cart Recovery) are reserved only for higher-tier plans, which doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint as their costs to support these features should be minimal.

Justin
Justin
Director of E-commerce & Marketing in US
Retail, 201–500 Employees

TYLER'S x BigCommerce

5,0 3 years ago

Comments: BigCommerce has been absolutely phenomenal. We're glad to be based in Austin, Texas alongside some of the BigCommerce team. Their support staff has been instrumental in our ability to adjust when a problem arises, and find a long term solution to ensure our ongoing success.

Pros:

BigCommerce has developed a simplistic software that's allowing small and mid size companies to maneuver at scale. We've been able to learn and adapt new strategies as their team continues to open new capabilities to developers and as they push development in their app market. Fast and reliable apps will be key to building and maintaining the next evolution of ecommerce businesses and having that infrastructure in place will be pivotal in the years to come.

Cons:

When we teamed up with BigCommerce, they were a newer competitor in the market. Some similar companies were able to offer functionalities that were limiting to our initial growth through ecommerce. Being a brick and mortar based business since 1978, we had a multitude of functionalities needed to keep up with our physical locations. Although they couldn't offer these features out of the gate, they were quick to get them implemented and worked closely with us to resolve our issues.

Alicia
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Big E Commerce

3,0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: I love it It's a great product for people starting websites and just getting into e-commerce.

Pros:

The free trial is great when you want to test out the product before purchasing.

Cons:

For some people it might be to technical to understand.

Retail, Self Employed

Easy to use and scale

5,0 2 years ago

Comments: We have been with BigCommerce for six years now and have had very minimal downtime. The rare instances we've had to contact customer support have been handled quickly. Support forums and customer facebook group monitored by BC have been a tremendous help when troubleshooting or looking for ways to customize our online store.

Pros:

Out of the box, BigCommerce has more built in features than other online carts out there. Pretty straightforward setup making it fairly easy to get up and running in little time.

Cons:

Not as easy to customize themes/store interface. When you edit the source code you need to make sure you document what was done as the changes don't carry over when you update the theme of your site.

Stephanie
Stephanie
System Administrator in US
Information Technology & Services, 10 000+ Employees

I prefer BigCommerce for its simplicity and ease of use

4,0 last year

Comments: BigCommerce has been the answer to all of the problems that have plagued my online store. Adding and managing products has never been simpler than it is on this site. With just a few clicks, I can make simple, customizable, and downloadable products.

Pros:

In every way, BigCommerce is the ideal platform for my company. This platform's dashboard is fantastic, and I appreciate how simple it makes managing and uploading stock. The quickness and dexterity that has been put into protecting and expanding my product sales has met with my complete satisfaction. To run my online store without any restrictions and in a professional manner is a dream come true.

Cons:

Although there are times when certain features do not function properly, such as when I am unable to access the applications within the back end or when newly updated features are not compatible with my configuration since I am still using an earlier version of BigCommerce, I have been using the platform for years.

CEO in Greece
Furniture, 2–10 Employees

Misleading Pricing, Deteriorating Customer Service

3,0 8 months ago

Comments: When I first started using the platform, I found the customer service phenomenal. Lately, the level of service has deteriorated sharply.

Pros:

I like that I don't have to worry about maintaining my own website servers as I did when I was running my own platform.

Cons:

Lack of transparency on the pricing. Recently I was over billed several months in a row. When I wrote to them to raise the issue, they took three weeks to respond. Then they told me that their system raises prices when my sales revenue goes up, but will not lower them again when sales revenue falls. So it's my responsibility to watch my billing like a hawk and inform them when I fall to a lower pricing tier. Otherwise, they'll continue billing me on a the more expensive tier even though their own billing page indicates I should be paying far less.

Alice "Bess"
Alice "Bess"
Manager in US
Apparel & Fashion, 2–10 Employees

Easy to Use

5,0 3 years ago

Comments: BigCommerce has helped us transition seamlessly from being a brick and mortar to online only sales.

Pros:

Very simple setup and easy to maintain my website effectively. Customer service has been very helpful every time I have had a question or concern.

Cons:

Linking to Facebook shop has not been successful yet, however I have not particularly focused on that as we would direct it to the website anyway.

Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Bigcommerce may not be the biggest name in eCommerce, though it's great as a user and developer

5,0 4 years ago

Comments: I've used Bigcommerce for new businesses with clients unfamiliar with website or eCommerce management, and have managed to set them up comfortably with an eCommerce site that is easy to update and maintain a blog on.

Pros:

Bigcommerce is very developer and user friendly. I found it to be stand out when developing a custom theme, and was able to easily integrate a clients inventory system and train them to use the system faster than with competing tools.

Cons:

I don't have a great deal of trouble with Bigcommerce. I think the main gripe is that abandoned cart recovery requires a more pricey monthly plan. This feature would be great for smaller businesses trying to get started.

Retail, 11–50 Employees

A great tool for customizable templates

4,0 4 years ago

Comments: I love it. It offers additional features like my online store's SEO, drop shipping, etc.

Pros:

Love the templates available for my store and customization options.

Cons:

Price difference between the level of subscriptions can be a little high. Some basic features fall into a higher subscription.

Apparel & Fashion, 2–10 Employees

Great for Small Businesses

5,0 4 years ago

Comments: Bigcommerce helped our business to start with a webpage. The customer service is great and they are always open to new ideas.

Pros:

The ease of using Bigcommerce was a huge plus for our business. It was easy to navigate and program the software to fit our business needs.

Cons:

The options for adding different clothing options didn’t exist making it difficult for our customers to choose their sizes in the drop down sections.

Shelby
Business Solution Strategist in US
Automotive, 2–10 Employees

NONE of my expectations met

2,0 3 years ago

Comments: BigCommerce has met NONE of my expectations and all I’ve asked for is basic functionality. They constantly steer me toward expensive apps that do not integrate seamlessly. Every app I’ve installed has caused a problem with another app or the native functionality of the platform. Simple desires have been turned into nightmares and BigCommerce has offered no support. They also refuse to assign us an account manager even though we’re an enterprise customer. I beg you, DO NOT sign up for one of their plans. You will regret it.

Pros:

BigCommerce has a minimal learning curve. I breezed though the backend even on my first day using it.

Cons:

BigCommerce charges WAY too much when all they really offer is the ability to integrate with other apps which also charge way too much. Their platform is a rabbit hole.

Tom
Building Materials, 51–200 Employees

Big Commerce Web Development E-Commere

4,0 3 years ago

Comments: All-in-all, BigCommerce is fairly easy to use and I am happy with the template selection. But, the key is some of the plug-ins like Shogun.

Pros:

Once I got the hang of using plug-in software like ShoGun for landing page development, BigCommerce became pretty easy to use.

Cons:

The software is not as customizable as I would like. I wanted to add size selection to a base item. But, instead, I had to list multiple size variations of the same product color.

Rick
CEO in US
Computer Hardware, 51–200 Employees

If you are serious about growing your business, there is no other platform to consider.

5,0 5 years ago

Comments: For the most part, BC is attentive and addresses our issues. Reps change more frequently than I would like and they are not very helpful. Most aren't there long enough to learn the position. The core staff and the support team are second to none. There is not one weak link on the support team. You will not understand how important this is until you need help from another provider and wait 30 minutes to talk to someone who knows less about the product than you and learned English as a second or third language.

Pros:

BigCommerce Support is not only the best there for an e-commerce platform. It is the single best support compared to every provider I have ever used. They answer the phones quickly. The person who picks up the phone knows what he/she is doing. Calls never have to be escalated and the issue is (almost) always resolved. My issues are normally fixed within 10 minutes of picking up the phone to dial. BC doesn't waste your time. PCI compliance was a big part of why we moved. BC takes it all on. We no longer have to provide scan reports or do any paperwork. Consistent conversion rates - there are few ups and downs. I can depend on my site to be functional. Adding products, categories and landing pages is simple. 2 months after moving to BigCommerce I let my entire development team go. We no longer needed any of them. Training an employee to add products takes just a few minutes.

Cons:

Some things seem to take forever to get done. 301 redirects are difficult to manage and a fix has been in and out of the works for years. Product page load times can exceed 1000ms. Mobile PageSpeed is big in Google's eyes and we are slower than average.

Carlos Rodolfo
Carlos Rodolfo
Director of Digital & Loyalty - ampm & Thorntons in US
Oil & Energy, 10 000+ Employees

BigCommerce welcome to the big market

5,0 last year

Comments: BigCommerce has been a great acquisition for our company as it has greatly enhanced all our sales departments at all levels, through its range of functions the sales processes have improved dramatically increasing our productivity and revenue. The organization of orders and inventory management has helped our team to have more order in the processes.

Pros:

Order processing has become much simpler at every step of the process since using BigCommerce, maintaining order and increasing customer satisfaction. The reports provided by BigCommerce are extremely detailed and give us a different perspective of all stages of the process, allowing us to maintain greater control and correct possible failures in time. The management of customer profiles allows us to make personalized offers and campaigns based on the products. The tool can be perfectly adapted to any type of company or organization due to its high scalability, the tools it offers help companies to increase the visibility of their products and services achieving a greater reach and generating higher sales revenue, despite its flaws the tool continues to improve and have a customer service quite adequate in our experience.

Cons:

We would like to be able to replace orders and quotes automatically to promote the opportunity and save time, allowing greater automation of all our operations. We would love to be able to add search filters according to the requirements of the search to be performed, this could save a lot of time and have greater control of the files. The possibility of viewing the products in alphabetical order seems to us that it should be mandatory in this type of tool.

Matt
Director of eCommerce in US
Apparel & Fashion, 11–50 Employees

Would switch if I could find something better

3,0 6 years ago

Pros:

Easy to get up and running. Features are some of the best offered in this class. Pricing doesn't take a cut off of sales.

Cons:

Many advanced features lacking or cost extra, like filtered search and navigation. Bugs are fixed and new features are added based on number of requests as opposed to the severity or need of the fix or feature. As a result, some bugs can persist for years if only a few people have reported them. No release notes or detailed info on updates. Overall it seems the company is still run more like a startup as instead of an established company that's accountable to their customers. Seems they focus more on doing things that get them headlines, marketing material, and talking points instead of what most meets their customer's needs. They can be quite tonedeaf when it comes to understanding the way retail works and what the needs of small businesses really are. It's quite a shame as there is a lot of potential. The only reason I stay is because either the better platforms are unaffordable (Magento, Demandware, Netsuite, Miva, etc) or the ones comparable in price lack essential features or have their own problems that I can't workaround (Shopify, Volusion, etc.) So I'm stuck until we grow more. Don't get me wrong, they have improved greatly in the 6 years I've been with them, but they have a long way to go.

Electra
Ceo in US
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Love it over woo commerce

5,0 2 years ago

Comments: If was fine as long as I had a web developer helping

Pros:

The type of editing are seemingly endless

Cons:

Unless you are web developer and wen designer it is very hard to customize your website alone.

Daniel
Automotive, 2–10 Employees

Bigcommerce good for e-commerce store

5,0 5 years ago

Comments: we have been using bigcommerce for about 2 years in our ecommerce website, we used before woocomerce which requires more programming knowledge and it is more time consuming, since we moved to bigcommerce, we noticed a huge difference in the speed of the website, with bigcommerce and basic knowledge of HTML you can accomplish a lot of goals and modifications of the templates, but if you don't have any website programming knowledge you can still have your decent website, the package that bigcommerce include with their pricing you have enough tools to start runing your business without investing too much time. we save a lot of time with bigcommerce , uploading the products through CSV files and then we can export back all the info from bigcommerce to others marketplaces like eBay or Amazon, we recommend bigcommerce if you don't want to spend too much money but at the same time you would like to have a decent website, we just recommend to bigcommerce add more features to customize the website, like make more dynamic like other competitors can offer like Wix, and also offer more different templates, animations, etc , with more professional look, they haven't updated the templates a long time ago, just basic updates thank you

Pros:

-Very reliable -Speed Website -Friendly user -able to sync to 3rd parties app -good pricing -simply to use

Cons:

-lack of templates options -lack of options that other competitors have -freedom to personalized the website, most of the stuff is better to use the template -limited on options to add videos or other links options type of fonts styles animations like other competitors

Internet, 51–200 Employees

Great platform to built your own website

4,0 4 years ago

Comments: Bigcommerce is a good platform to built websites. It offers separate plans with very different features so it allows you to find what works for you.

Pros:

Bigcommerce is a great platform for small businesses or businesses in general that do not have a great budget to start developing their e-commerce. We have adopted this solution for a couple of our clients. The main features we have encountered so far are:Very easy to set up and to use. The dashboard is very easy to understand so people with little knowledge on the backend can work with it without difficulties.There are no limits on the products you can list on the online store so it works well for business for multiple skus.When building the online store, you have multiple templates to choose from and many options as different payment getaways in order to personalize your online store.The standard plan is ok and comes with nice features as the giftcard options

Cons:

The main con is that the plan prices are slightly higher than similar tools. There are some features that might worth the cost but when considering options check if they might be useful for your business, otherwise a cheaper alternative might be a better option Templates are ok, but just a few ones are for free.

Owner in US

Solid eCommerce Shopping Cart that has more features out of the box than Shopify

3,0 6 years ago

Pros:

Bigcommerce has more features out of the box than most any other shopping cart including Shopify. It's just the little things like being able to put custom messages like "ships in 1-2 days" on each product. Lot of product options that you see on larger big box websites. Cost is reasonable when compared to other solutions. Integrates with a ton of 3rd Party applications. Easy to find solutions to help you succeed.

Cons:

There is a huge gap from mid tier plan to the enterprise solutions. The Pro and Enterprise Solutions include some features that are only accessible when you pay 3 times as much. Things such as faceted Search, so you can get a more "Amazon" like experience. We have experienced an overall reduction in site traffic since switching to Big C. We are not sure if this is because of how Google treats these sites in search, or if it's just that more and more people shop through marketplaces only. It's hard to say. 3rd Party App Marketplace is somewhat limited when compared to other solutions.

Joe
Consumer Goods, 11–50 Employees

Good platform depending on your business needs.

4,0 4 years ago

Comments: We use Bigcommerce to run our E-commerce business. Overall, we are satisfied with the platform and it gets the job done.

Pros:

The layout is fairly easy to navigate and the support team is helpful when we have issues. We went with Bigcommerce because we were having issues with Shopify with the timing and capturing of payments.

Cons:

Bigcommerce is very limited in design options when compared to platforms such as Shopify, Wordpress and Magento. I would recommend going with one of them depending on your business needs.

Teresa Aminta
Teresa Aminta
Vice President Marketing in US
Construction, 2–10 Employees

BigCommerce is designed for business growth

5,0 6 months ago

Comments: Let's use BigCommerce for the purpose of our internet commerce and love the website we have. The platform offers a vast selection of innovative features that any small business like ours requires for a complete, easily accessible, aesthetically and functionally appealing website. Because BigCommerce offers unlimited product layout, unlimited bandwidth, unlimited and different storage, we don't have to worry about exceeding storage limits, etc. This leaves us with more time to develop content, site optimization and other business-related activities that impact business growth.

Pros:

BigCommerce is ready for any type of commerce. It is recommended for value-driven companies. Anyone who has a goal and is ready to carry it out will benefit from this strong foundation. BigCommerce is big commerce. And this is what you require to achieve your big business goals. With all the features it has advanced, BigCommerce ensures that the slope of the learning curve is imperceptible. If it is your first time to market through the internet, you need to use an e-commerce platform, which offers a vast and effective range of tools for you to succeed.

Cons:

On every occasion when it is necessary to use Rafflecopter for the purpose of a giveaway, it is not possible to start the program in BigCommerce. The context does not allow it. The blog capability is perhaps one of the weakest parts of BigCommerce. It would be wonderful if it could act like WordPress does.

Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

BigCommerce Review

5,0 2 years ago

Comments: BigCommerce is a platform that has helped me to build my online store. It is easy to use and has a wide variety of features that allow you to customize your store to your needs. I have found the customer service to be excellent, and they are always available to help you with any questions or problems you may have. Overall, I would highly recommend BigCommerce to anyone looking to build an online store.

Pros:

There are many reasons to love BigCommerce, but here are just a few of the top pros: 1. BigCommerce is incredibly easy to use, even for beginners. The platform is intuitive and straightforward, so you can start selling products right away. 2. There are tons of features and integrations available, so you can customize your store to fit your unique needs. 3. BigCommerce is reliable and secure, so you can feel confident that your data is safe and protected. 4. Customer support is excellent, and they're always happy to help with any questions or issues you may have. 5. The platform is constantly evolving and improving, so you can always count on getting the latest features and updates.

Cons:

BigCommerce doesn't offer as much flexibility as other platforms when it comes to design and customization.

Shreyank
Shreyank
Sales Team Member in Canada
Accounting, 11–50 Employees

Great software for ambitious sellers who want to sell on multiple platforms

4,0 last year

Comments: Overall experience was pretty good but since some of our users find it hard to understand some features and due to the lack of quick fixes in the software we have decided to migrate to the other saas platform. We used bigcommerce for up to 2 years for e-commerce purposes to sell across different countries.

Pros:

The most likable thing about this software is there are no platform fees associated unlike other platforms like Shopify. Also, they have some great free features and smooth integration techniques with other platforms allowing the sellers to sell in the different markets without much of a hassle

Cons:

The setup is not so easy and quick compared to other saas platforms. It's hard to locate and understand some features unless you have used them before which makes it not reachable for quick fix commerce, it needs some time and patience to fix the issues

Mohammad
Demand Generation Lead in UK
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

BigCommerce is the best e-commerce platform that ever existed

5,0 2 years ago

Comments: The product is recommended for both B2C and B2B offers very user-friendly interface and outstanding customer services. We have managed our online store with BigCommerce and the company made us convert more than any other previous platforms.

Pros:

The platform is simply extraordinary, very easy to use. -Great for web design and managing content within the website/online store -You can easily offer vouchers and discounts with add ons to prospects -Managing orders and processing orders is very simple and straightforward -Processing payments is great -Great for reviewing all the products and helps prospects decide what to buy

Cons:

-I would only point out as the pricing of the platform is the strength of the product as it is not expensive, but every add on comes with additional price which adds up for us. -Time to time updating themes have been problematic

Moises
CEO in Chile
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Perfect tool to develop an eCommerce

5,0 3 years ago

Comments: Since we use BigCommerce it is easier to develop websites, in other platforms the development time is longer, with this tool in one day I can have my store online.

Pros:

This platform is perfect for creating an online store, it has too many themes and applications to complement the website, it is easy to use and anyone without previous experience in web development can do it. I also like that the security of the website is excellent.

Cons:

I think the bad thing about this site is that they don't allow you to export the website, only some features like products, customers and some basic features. The code of the website belongs to them, so if I want to migrate to Wordpress for example, it is not possible.