Filter by:

• Overall

About Gusto

Gusto makes payroll, benefits, and HR refreshingly easy for small businesses.

Learn more about Gusto

Showing 3 035 reviews

Jaze P.
Jaze P.
System Administrator
Architecture & Planning, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/08/14

"Go For The Gusto (My Point Of View)"

Comments: After using this software for just one month, I started thinking to myself "Why didn't I take Accounting in high school more seriously, I think I could've been a Chartered Accountant by now..." This software makes everything look so basic, I become totally engaged when I use it.

Pros: The best user interface I have ever come across on a Payroll system. Given the advantages, the price point is pretty descent as well but most importantly, the ease of deployment is what totally stands out to me. Never have I set up a Payroll system so quickly in my 8 years of using different types.

Cons: I would like to pay a one time fee that would allow me to own it straight up instead of renting it out every month.

• Reviewed on 2021/08/14
Carly F.
Carly F.
Accounting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/29

"Awesome Product and Support Staff"

Comments: Payroll and tax payments can be time consuming and Gusto allows for the accounting team to do more important work and still feel like everything is being taken care of on the payroll side. Their customer service teams are extremely supportive and helpful.

Pros: Auto-sync and tax payments are the best features of the product that go above other products. Gusto will file the taxes for you, will send corrections if need be, and keeps track of all of that for your ease of mind. Their customer service team is above reproach, always willing to look into a problem and resolve it as soon as possible.

Cons: This is nitpicky, but the layout of the website often changes slightly. It would be nice if there was more consistency in the format. But the tool itself is above reproach.

• Reviewed on 2020/12/29
Director of Growth
  • Reviewed on 2021/02/12

"Payroll for the twenty first century"

Comments: Overall, even though we were hesitant at first, we couldn’t be happier that we made the switch from our previous provider. We’ve gotten lots of very positive feedback from our employees on the system as well!

Pros: I love the clean, simple, modern, easy to use user interface and user experience - for both the admin and employees in Gusto. It feels robust and relevant, not clunky and convoluted like many other outdated, expensive systems.

Cons: I do wish there were some more integrations, and/or that the present integrations were slightly more robust.

• Reviewed on 2021/02/12
Trevor H.
Trevor H.
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/13

"Best platform for payroll, benefits & more"

Comments: Overall it has been great to have everything in one place. Before we used Zenefits and Gusto and moved everything to Gusto. Its been a good move.

Pros: It simple to use and does everything we need to run the primary administrative tasks for our business.

Cons: The HSA feature did not move over seamlessly from Zenefits and is more expensive for a small team to have and the 401k option has been a bit of work to get moved over.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/13
  • Reviewed on 2020/09/15

"Easy to use payroll software"

Comments: Gusto is fantastic - it's incredibly easy to use software to manage your payroll, get your employees paid and keep you legally compliant. For small businesses, you have to make sure that you pay your employees properly, that you withhold the right amount of taxes, that they earn overtime if their roles are entitled to it, that you file the right monthly and quarterly taxes with your state and the federal government. It's a lot to know. And Gusto manages all of that for you.

Pros: Gusto is so easy to use, it takes care of everything for you when it comes to payroll. Just connect a bank account, enter your business information, and you can start onboarding and paying employees. There are so many pieces to payroll - legal requirements, taxes, withholding, etc. - yet Gusto handles it all so incredibly simply and easily.

Cons: One complaint I had about Gusto was that when I was first using it, it did not have a good integration for 401ks, and the one they built with Guideline was not great, in my opinion.

• Reviewed on 2020/09/15
David K.
Developer
Computer Games, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/26

"Former user, but returning soon because it just plain works"

Comments: Using Gusto was smooth in terms of user interface and communication with customer support, beyond the issue I had with two payrolls primarily because I misunderstood a setting. I left Gusto for a competitor simply because of a unique deal, but have since decided to return to Gusto later this year.

Pros: Gusto just works, and the user interface is more intuitive than ADP's tools I had used before. The company also seems to be more aggressive than some competitors in integrating new services around the payroll management related to HR.

Cons: This feature has since been changed, and their user interface has changed since as well, so it should no longer be an issue: We had two separate payrolls that didn't pay out on time, and although they helped remedy the situation because of a setting issue, I was a bit disappointed that it was unclear to me what that setting described. At times, normally when competitors do sales, Gusto's pricing isn't as attractive for what is offered.

• Reviewed on 2020/05/26
Jack S.
Dentist
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/15

"Great service!"

Comments: The overall experience with Gusto has been great! We shopped around last December and got it right with Gusto. It would be hard to believe anyone out there could be the value that Gusto has.

Pros: This was exactly what we needed for our small company that just needed basic payroll. There is more functionality should we ever need it but the basic set up is a great price and covers our payroll needs.

Cons: There really are no downsides. The service is great at reminding to submit payroll and giving exact numbers to expect before submitting.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/15
Wil S.
Marketing Software Admin
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/26

"Modern Day Payroll"

Pros: Gusto is just on another level when it comes to payroll and personal information. To be able to access your pay, benefits, time off and view your 401K all from your account would be unheard of a couple of years back. I am able to easily go in and access all my info whenever I want without the hassle of approval or mailing anything which made moving for me stress-free. They're even creative with their fun facts of what you've been paid all year could have gotten you.

Cons: No negatives I can think of with Gusto other than the fact that I wish they existed in my life sooner. Then again I did come from a job where I need my paystubs mailed to me which was caveman technology to me.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/26
Althea T.
Althea T.
MARBLE seller
Building Materials, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/14

"Details that make difference..."

Comments: What a shame for the defects. After all I appreciate the design and the quick management. But, when you need a good program for manage by your own Many and many people, you deserve a great attenction by the software you bought

Pros: I can explain my own experience with that software. It s a real up-to-date system , the best description I can use to explain Gusto is like an “Accounting social network”. Indeed, you can track everything of the life circle of the employer since his first step in the Company, and follow him situation about payroll, day off, accrued holidays, debts, down payment, time of entrance, exit or desease. Every page has its history for each person you want discuss about. Really helpful to paint an employer picture, even for a future recommendation letter for example, or for an employers cut, how to choose the most problematic person.

Cons: But..to be honest, let s start to talk about what makes Gusto the software I won t never choose again.
First step: you can t test the software. No free trial. Let s buy it with blind eyes and it requests time to be improved, as well no good infoes shown .
Second : bad bad bad and please help me to say bad assistance, terrible or inexistent. Plus, with that price, u can get some better software. Just has to check for it.

• Reviewed on 2020/10/14
Michael M.
Veterinary, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/01/19

"Excellent Payroll Service"

Comments: Overall, it's my experience has been positive. My account was easy to set up. I'm confident that it will be correct.

Pros: This software is extremely easy to set-up and use. I called customer service a couple of times and received excellent support . I highly recommend this product.

Cons: I would like to see more features in onboarding. I'd like the ability to send training videos and other attachments to my new hire before their actual start date. Also, I'd love to see better integration with QB accounting to the payroll detail level. Right now, the download only syncs as wages and taxes.

• Reviewed on 2021/01/19
Professional Cleaner
Individual & Family Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/16

"Gusto changed my world!!"

Comments: Gusto saves me so much time and worry. I know that our benefits are managed correctly and that we are always in compliance. I also know that everything on the payroll side is taken care of and if there is an issue or mistake the super amazing customer support team is ready to help!

Pros: We love using Gusto for not only our payroll but they also manage all of our benefits. Gusto managing our benefits has been such a life saver! I don't have to think about being in compliance anymore I know that they are keeping everything up to date. I get reminders when it's time to run payroll, when new employees need to sign up for benefits and when we need to renew our benefits.

Cons: Gusto has wonderful customer support the only downside for me is that when you call in you are always talking to a new person, sometimes that can make it a little challenging to efficiently get the answer or help I'm looking for, but they will help until the job is done!

• Reviewed on 2018/04/16
Liz B.
Liz B.
Creative Department Manager
  • Reviewed on 2018/12/28

"Finally! A quick and easy resource for paychecks."

Pros: It is so hard to find a simple platform with a clean interface when it comes Payroll but Gusto has achieved that. I have used several different programs and Gusto is by far my favorite because of the ease of use. I also love the email they send on payday that says "Hooray! You got paid today." Gusto seems to know what the typical employee wants when they log into their payroll application - as soon as you sign in there is a big blue button that says "See your last paystub", super helpful and saves time! You can also easily access your PTO time, year to date statistics on your wages, taxes, net salary, hours worked, and other helpful statistics. On just a small fun note, their graphics on their website are adorable.

Cons: Honestly I do not have anything that I dislike about this software. It is incredibly simple and reliable.

• Reviewed on 2018/12/28
Stephanie B.
Director of Implementation
Construction, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/08/25

"Payroll made easy"

Pros: The ease of use is the most important feature of Gusto. We are a small, family owned and operated HVAC company and when we started we weren't using a payroll specific software. Gusto has helped take our company to a new level and has made it easier on our leadership team to manage our people. Saving us time and money that we can dedicate elsewhere. Being able to virtually onboard our new employees during this time of social distancing has also been a huge help!

Cons: When we first started using Gusto you could "chat" with a support person and would get immediate responses. Now that's not offered and you can either call in or send an email. Most of the time getting a response back within 24 hours vs immediately. Since that's not the level of customer service we became accustomed it is a frustration.

• Reviewed on 2020/08/25
Brooks M.
Brooks M.
Digital Marketing Specialist
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/14

"An All-In-One HR, Culture, Benefits, Payroll Solution"

Comments: I love using Gusto, and I know our HR and Payroll Director does as well. We use it for payroll, benefits, time off, org charts, happiness surveys, and onboarding. It's made our lives a lot easier, and the price point is well worth it.

Pros: As a user, I love having everything in one place. I can access my Paid Time Off balance, request off, see my paychecks, my benefits, and coworkers' profiles all in one place. But my favorite thing about Gusto is probably their paycheck notification emails. They're a lot of fun and always a joy to get in my inbox. It's really a fantastic all-in-one solution. And, in my opinion, it's relatively low priced. The automated monthly surveys are also a big help to our leadership team.

Cons: There's not a lot. I will say there are a few features we don't use just because there are better options out there – such as time tracking. It's really simple, and if you need a more robust option connected to tasks it probably won't work for you.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/14
Self-Employed / Stubborn Dog Marketing
  • Reviewed on 2019/02/21

"Finally a payroll system that anyone can use and understand!"

Comments: Payroll is no longer such a confusing and tedious process. I feel like I am back in control of my company finances with Gusto.

Pros: I absolutely love their support team. I have encountered many questions and potential problems on my end over the years, and their support has been super quick to reply to any of my concerns. They will go out of their way to help you navigate your payroll issues. Gusto is very easy to use and it gives me a safe and secure way to promptly fill out required forms and meet tax deadlines. I feel like my payroll process is essentially on auto-pilot now, so I'm saving time and money. The checklist approach to setting up accounts makes things very easy right from the start and the dashboard lets you know what actions are needed.

Cons: I wish I would have discovered Gusto sooner.

• Reviewed on 2019/02/21
Registered In House Counsel In California
Financial Services, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/08/28

"Excellent HR system for small companies; not built for scale"

Comments: I have been very happy with Gusto for our small and growing business. Just be aware that if (and hopefully it's WHEN) you're business is successful and you are approaching 100+ employees you should be looking for a replacement HR system that can handle a larger workforce.

Pros: Gusto was very easy to get set up and implement for our company. I was quickly able to learn all the features and functionalities and start using this system to run HR. I think the ease of use is very important for small businesses and it saves a lot of time by creating an intuitive portal for employers, and an easy to use portal for employees as well.

Cons: Gusto has a few quirks that make some tasks difficult or impossible to do. When I reached out to customer service to ask why these issues were so difficult to perform the answer was "Gusto is not designed for a company of your size, and is meant for businesses with fewer than 100 employees". While I now understand that the reason for this is partly due to legal requirements, it wasn't clear to us that we would need to shift our HR system to another provider after we hit this milestone for our growing business.

• Reviewed on 2020/08/28
Raghu Y.
Marketing and developer
  • Reviewed on 2018/12/23

"Great product for payroll"

Comments: Gusto Zen payroll does everything for my business, this software is face is getting access to high-quality, yet affordable, software, particularly in HR for our business, it as given a huge demand for my business, it can be used in health sector also, thanks for such a wonderful product, gusto gives a lot more packages for your needs, it's an ideal management online payroll gives our business to gain profits...

Pros: Gusto provides a cloud-based payroll, benefits, and human resource management solution for businesses ,Gusto helps in handling payments to employees and contractors and saves time, it can manage electronically as of paper work to the client needs, Gusto benefits administration and compliance management platform. Designed to serve mainly small businesses across world , gusto mainly works for payroll system and human resource for your business i strongly recommend this software it's number one product for your businesses

Cons: Gusto lacks one con, everything is good but it doesn't provide mobile app to easily access thorough it for Android or ios, website is good and easliy maintained, try to improve this, over all no issues...

• Reviewed on 2018/12/23
Land leasing
Real Estate, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/12

"Wonderfully functional Application"

Comments: I'm only now using it as the free trial, but I will definitely be purchasing it as a normal day-to-day way to doom our peril fork blossom and company.

Pros: The ease of this it is absolutely amazing how quickly you can get all of your payroll issues solved, figured out. User friendly, especially for those of us who do not enjoy doing payroll!

Cons: I can honestly say there's not really anything yet that I found that I do not like about this app. It is very functional as I stated earlier and it seems like it's going to be a key point in our company.

• Reviewed on 2020/05/12
Parker R.
Parker R.
Analyst
Investment Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/27

"Makes getting paid and managing my retirement easy"

Comments: The UI of Gusto is robust. There was only one time while working with Gusto that I didn't know how to find something: which was when I switched from being a contractor at the firm to being a part-time employee. I wasn't sure where I could find my employee paystubs and this was due to the system thinking I wanted to see the contractor's dashboard. I eventually figured it out but it would have been nice if Gusto automatically showed me the employee dashboard considering that I was recently onboarded.

Pros: For me, the integration of Gusto with my retirement savings (Guideline) is amazing. The ability for me to click on the link to my Guideline account and see that Gusto is tracking this information as well is a key functionality of Gusto that I love.

Cons: If there was some way to fully integrate my health, dental, and vision insurance into the software that would be great as well. I can see what my employer is contributing every paycheck, however, I also would like to be able to see a link to my provider on Gusto if that was possible. It would be nice to use Gusto as a one-stop-shop location (virtually) that I could see all of this information.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/27
Jill A.
Accountant
Accounting, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/06/05

"Great payroll software"

Comments: Gusto has done a great job and I have been very impressed with their proactive approach to this very unusual business climate we are currently in.

Pros: I have switched several clients from Quickbooks payroll to Gusto. Everyone has been completely satisfied with Gusto's service. I will continue to recommend Gusto to anyone who asks!

Cons: I have not found their reports to be as numerous and varied as some other payroll companies.

• Reviewed on 2020/06/05
Daniel R.
Insurance, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/06/08

"Best accounting software"

Comments: Very pleased with Gusto.

Pros: For the money, you can’t beat the product. My staff and I enjoy using Gusto

Cons: Price could be always be lower. But this is still a good product

• Reviewed on 2020/06/08
Nichole P.
Nichole P.
Founder + CEO
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/02/17

"Perfect for start ups"

Comments: Overall it’s a valuable option for businesses just starting out that want the features a corporation would have, but at a great price and with fee limitations.

Pros: I love that this payroll software is easy to use, and decently priced for the average startup. It has HR management, payroll and benefits all dolled into one. The interface is well designed and it’s enjoyabke for an administrator and for employees to use. One of my favorite, small things about gusto is that each payday you get an email that says “woohoo you got paid” and a paystub is in your inbox waiting for you. As a business owner, you can automate payroll which is a necessity because you have a lot on your plate already running an entire business. Gusto has your typical year end forms and connects/integrates with other HR platforms that focus on non-payroll activities so it’s a win win.

Cons: Gustos benefits are only available in certain states, so if you’re lucky you can use this feature, and they are rolling out more but it takes time.

• Reviewed on 2019/02/17
Yessenia P.
Leasing Agent
Management Consulting, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/02/02

"Gusto, and my pay."

Comments: It definitely solves PTO problems. People in the company not knowing how much they have, because they don't keep track themselves. No worries Gusto does it for you. I think just having an app where you can see what is going on with your pay, break down, and vacation time is amazing. It can even show you what you would make in overtime, double-overtime ect..

Pros: I truly like Gusto for a number of reasons.
One would be the easily accessible W-2 from my work, that they uploaded on Gusto and gave me immediate access to it. It made it easy to send it off to my accountant to file my taxes.
Second would be the breakdown of my paycheck. I can see it every week in the app, and see what I made, what is getting taken out, even how much PTO I occluded that check.
Third would be the PTO request. It is super simple, I pick my dates, put on the notes why I am requesting these days off. It then sends it to my Manager, and she can approve it remotely.
These are just a few of the top features I love.

Cons: Nothing. It is simple, easy and that's all I need.

• Reviewed on 2019/02/02
Janine S.
Janine S.
CEO & Founder
Legal Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/12/31

"Exceptional Customer Support!"

Pros: I love that Gusto does all of the HR work for me and that my team can log in anytime to download a past pay. It's easy to make payroll and team member updates and add bonuses or commission on the fly. Any time I've had a problem I've been able to get in touch with a friendly helpful person on the phone immediately and that is SO important with a payroll company!

Cons: I sometimes have trouble trying to get tax notices handled properly. I would like a way to enter employee pay by salary and not indicate hourly rate on the paycheck. And I think it would be helpful to enter an end date of a terminated employee but not have to send a physical check for the final pay.

• Reviewed on 2018/12/31
Erik F.
Exec. Director
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/04/13

"Changing my review after disastrous series of events with Gusto"

Comments: Great... until it wasn't.

Pros: Very clean design, easy to understand your account from your dashboard.

Cons: After several years as a Gusto client (and a previous 5 star reviewer), I'm posting this second review regarding my experience. Gusto is great ... until it's not. When we refinanced our house, we discovered that Gusto had been incorrectly reporting on our W2's. This created a series of several complications that took several weeks and persistent calls to fix. Perhaps some of the liability falls with me, but when I tried to make corrections, it was extremely difficult, slow, and frustrating. I expected some level of expertise in correct filing of tax forms. Gusto entry level workers did not seem to have the experience to understand the complexities of 5013 organizations. The trouble continued. If you've ever experienced the bureaucratic run around of pressing through multiple layers of hierarchy to actually get someone who knows what they're talking about and has the authority to make changes - yeah, that's what I experienced. The problems continued into this year - anytime I had a problem, it consistently took waaaaaay to much time to get a response from someone who could actually fix my problem. Ultimately, I decided after several years to cancel my relationship with Gusto. If you have a company or non-profit where you know tax laws, Gusto will be great for you. If you're looking for a payroll company that provides excellent, timely customer service and a level of counsel/guidance regarding tax and payroll laws to protect you, I suggest you look elsewhere.

by Gusto on 2021/04/15

Hi Erik. We're sorry about the experience that you've had with us. We have found your case in our system and will be reaching out as soon as possible.

• Reviewed on 2021/04/13