BigTime Reviews

by BigTime Software

• Overall
    4,6 /5
    4,5 /5
    4,7 /5

About BigTime

Professional services automation software that helps firms with project management, time tracking, billing, reporting, and accounting

Learn more about BigTime

Tara W.
CSO
Architecture & Planning, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/19

"Still new at this...but so far, I'm impressed."

Comments: A little slow to start, but we are getting there. One recommendation I have is to spend more time educating BigTime reps on the specific practices and business model your company uses, so that then BigTime can guide you on the best set up versus what we did which was try to learn all the functionality that BigTime offers and then give thought to how it would best work for us. We did it backwards which cost us about three weeks of loss time.

Pros: The support. Our implementation rep, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN].

Cons: There has been a couple of glitches or areas (caught one bug so far) that I think could use some improvement, which is why I gave a few four stars versus all five stars. But we are still learning the software so we hope to be fully operational soon, and I will check back and update you on my new experience in a couple of months.

• Reviewed on 2020/11/19
Louis B.
Vice-President
Insurance, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/02/04

"Time tracking tool is very easy to use!"

Comments: Makes time entry a joy as opposed to a chore. Easy to use, and saves me quite a bit of time.

Pros: It took me months to learn how to use our previous time-tracking tool and I hated using it. It took me 5 minutes for BigTime and it is the easiest way to enter my time I ever experienced.

Cons: Making sure that a line is saved to be able to enter a new line. Just took me a few minutes to figure out.

Anna D.
office manager
Accounting, 2-10 Employees

"Project Management Software"

Pros: Very user friendly, easy to navigate, and the customer support and service

Cons: The manual timers, i would prefer to just have the timer start when employees start the task

David D.
Co-Founder & Partner
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/05

"Solid Platform for Professional Services Organizations"

Comments: Automating, improving, and reducing time and cost required to process weekly time and expense. Providing reporting and audit-ability across the entire process with a few button clicks vs having to sort through manual data collection templates.

Pros: Overall, we have been very happy with BigTime and its use in support of our field consultants. Our production implementation went smoothly and their staff provided helpful training and support to assist us with our launch. In addition, we have been very pleased with the configurability of the platform - just about every time we wanted to do something a certain way, for example how we wanted to display the form for our field's timesheet data entry, there was a way to configure the system to our liking. Also, we have been very impressed with the speed of the system and the design of the user interface. It's very responsive, easy to use, and everything is laid out intuitively. Also, the Reporting module is very comprehensive and it provides a way to pull data just about any which way one could want. BigTime has also been responsive and helpful in helping to support us when certain custom reports were required and we needed some guidance. Special thanks to both CSRs for their support with our implementation.

Cons: We have no outstanding support tickets currently and we have only seen a few small glitches but once we bring them to the vendors attention there is usually a way to correct it or some type of acceptable workaround. As far as suggested areas we think they can improve upon, one would be having the ability to set up to send specific invoices to multiple customer contacts on the To: line. Another area for improvement is sometimes the bill rate isn’t pulled into the invoicing module consistently so we have to re-enter all the rates in that particular project code. As far as platform enhancements to make BigTime even better, we have suggested the ability to enhance the Allocations module so a manager can forecast a resource across multiple projects within the same or multiple accounts from the same screen/grid. Today this must be done via clicking into each project in the Project List section which is time consuming and a little clunky. This would be huge for us since we have a number of consultants who work on multiple projects across a given week/month/etc. Another enhancement would be to provide easy-to-pull reports that show a consultants profitability (revenue generated minus cost) across a given date range. This is not currently doable with the platform, but all the data is there since the system maintains both bill rate and cost-level information. We are hoping these items make their way onto the product roadmap here in the relative near future.

by BigTime Software on 2019/08/08

David,

First of all, thanks so much for posting this extensive review for us here at BigTime. It is most appreciated and valuable to get specific feedback from our users. We are pleased that you're finding the platform responsive and flexible enough to meet your needs and we are very pleased that both Jeff and Kevin have provided excellent support to you.

Please do reach out to us here at Customer Success if we can be of further assistance in any way - we are always happy to help.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/05
Scott S.
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/30

"Flexible Project SetUp and QBO Integration"

Pros: We support many different kinds of projects and contracts. We have T&M, Fixed Fee, Recurring and some Fixed Fee with a T&M Element. We like BigTime because it is easy to set up a project with tasks (line items) that match our contracting terms. Also, it is possible to set Cost and Bill rates at the Company, Project or even Task Level. This kind of flexibility makes it easy for us to produce invoices that match our contract setup. We also needed something with fairly tight QuickBooks Online integration. BigTime deliveres here also. Lastly, the reporting facility in BigTime is very usuable.

Cons: There is not really anything that I find I don't like. From time to time, I have a feature request for the BigTime team. They communicate very well regarding their roadmap.

by BigTime Software on 2019/08/01

Scott,

We are so very thankful for your review - we really thank you for taking the time to post it. :) We are very happy that you're finding BigTime's flexible invoicing system able to provide what you need when it comes time to send your customers the bill. Also, we love that we can make it easy for you to setup your diverse projects with all their various bill rate structures and unique needs. The fact that you are utilizing our Quickbooks integration as well and it's working for your business, well, that's just icing on the cake!

Please do reach out to us and let us know if there is any way that we can be of further assistance to you.

Thanks again!

• Reviewed on 2019/07/30
Derek C.
Maritime, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/26

"Bigtime Review"

Comments: My company is able to use Bigtime for time and job management. All of our employees utilize it and is pretty user friendly. Customer support is extremely important to me and I have been working with representative who is the Manager for Customer Success and she has been great to work with! Without her support I would not have been able to learn how to utilize all of the functions that are beneficial for our business. I look forward to continuing to work with representative with helping me grow my knowledge of the software and utilize all of the great functions Bigtime has to offer. Thank you representative!

Pros: I like the functionality and how we were able to have some custom features made that are helpful for my job/company and how we use Bigtime.

Cons: I don't like that there are some advanced features offered but they are not completely working when I try to set them up.

by BigTime Software on 2019/04/30

Derek,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post a review for us here at BigTime. We're very pleased to hear that your interactions with Chris are helping you to understand all of our software's functionality and how you can apply your business processes to it. This is great to hear!

As well, be sure and check out our Knowledge Base, which has hundreds of detailed articles on all of BigTime's functionality - these articles will prove to be invaluable as you continue to learn about BigTime's advanced features: http://kb.bigtime.net/

We hope this helps, and thanks again!

• Reviewed on 2019/04/26
Shannon D.
Architect
Architecture & Planning
  • Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 2015/12/08

"BigTime is a huge asset"

Pros: I have been using BigTime for about 6 months now and could not be happier. In my previous company, I purchased a time tracking software for my employees and bookkeeping and it was a disaster. It didn't integrate with Quickbooks, was cumbersome to use, fouled up our taxes and was extremely expensive. Conversely, BigTime has been a huge breath of fresh air. It integrates seamlessly with QuickBooks, allows me to easily track my time, expenses, and create invoices. I can readily see where I am with project budgets verses time spent and can easily gauge when it is time to bill. I am now a sole proprietor and have to wear all of the hats of the business. Having BigTime has been an indispensable tool in being able to manage the "business" side of the business easily and efficiently.
The customer service (specifically through my personal Account Manager) is outstanding. If I ever have a question, he has solved it through timely and knowledgeable feedback or it has been resolved with a quick online chat with support.
As you can tell, I can't say enough about this software and am so glad that I found it (and wish I would have found it sooner).

Cons: I honestly can't think of anything that I would change

• Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 2015/12/08
Soncerie C.
Design, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/02/10

"Big Time Switch from Timeslips after 20+Years"

Pros: It is bendable once you figure out exactly what you need it to do. Customer Support works with you to get to your end goal. I am particularly pleased with the ongoing support have received from [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], who handles every support ticket with Support, Satisfaction and Complete Competence . Her knowledgebase is clearly an asset to her customers and what she is unsure of, she escalates and does not spin her or your wheels wasting time, which is a precious commodity in the World of REMOTE WORK Space.

Cons: Its inability to perform some task that I am used to which is to be expected in a switch form one system to the next.

• Reviewed on 2021/02/10
Josephine K.
Vice President
Civil Engineering, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/03/15

"Review of BigTime After a Month"

Comments: After reviewing four options for Time and Expense Tracking software we decided on BigTime for two reasons: Ease of Use and Invoice Templates. The Time and Expense entry for the engineers in our office was intuitive and easy to learn. The mobile app works very well and is used more than we anticipated. From the administrative aspect the setup is relatively easy and the user interface is easy to follow and understand. I really like how the screens navigate from one to the other and how I can customize what I want to see on each screen. The clicking on the column headings to view the information in varies ways is great. We create about 50 - 60 invoices each month where the format may vary depending on the client for each one. BigTime does a good job of providing a base of invoice templates with the flexibility customize. The one thing that is really missing from the invoicing option is the ability to display the Total Cumulative Amount Invoiced as of the current invoice (prior amount + current invoice amount). I have requested this change and hopefully it will be added. The last aspect is customer support. Two training sessions were included in the software subscription. The first one was good for the very basic information, maybe a little too basic. The second session was much more informative that gave us some good practices to use with BigTime (Brea was very knowledgeable in both). The day to day support seems short handed. Most of the time you have to send an email and wait for a response which could take hours or the next day. As a new user that was a little frustrating. I don't necessarily need to talk to someone on the phone but a live chat would be great to get an answer and move on. That is the one area that I would recommend BigTime address. Overall we are happy with our decision to go with BigTime and I would recommend BigTime to others.

Pros: The user interface is very intuitive and easy to learn

Cons: I cannot display a cumulative invoice total in the budget summary for invoicing (prior billings + current billings).

• Reviewed on 2017/03/15
Adam W.
Creative Director
Fine Art, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/07/30

"BigTimeAwesome"

Comments: All of our work is fixed fee and this allows us to track time and materials live to help us stay on budget and maintain profit margins

Pros: This system was very easy to implement, gives live view into project health and support is amazing.

Cons: Needs more dashboard options, scheduling is a bit basic and Quickbooks integration has been a bit buggy

• Reviewed on 2020/07/30
Al O.
Network Administrator
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/10

"BigTIme makes time and expense tracking easy."

Pros: The web interface works well and is very intuitive to use. Since it is cloud based you can aceess it from any web browser.

Cons: I would like to be able to have more than one timer running concurrently, but I understand wht this is not allowed.

by BigTime Software on 2018/04/11

Al,

Thanks so much for leaving a review for us here on Capterra, we truly appreciate it. We're also very happy that your BigTime is making your life a little easier by helping you record your time and tracking your expenses via the web!

Regarding your question about running multiple timers at once - the reason for this is straight forward: BigTime timers are not a clock-in/clock-out system, but are tracking your time minute-by-minute, second-by-second, like a stopwatch. If you could run multiple timers at once, then, there's a possibility that you might double-charge some customers, or even accidentally charge "Customer A" for work that was actually done for "Customer B"- and no one wants that. However, it's very easy to switch from one timer to another - just a click!

If you'd like more info on timers, please check out this KB Article: https://kb.bigtime.net/using-bigtime/tracking-time/using-timers/

• Reviewed on 2018/04/10
Bill S.
Director - PMO
Defense & Space, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/15

"Moving Back to Big Time!"

Comments: Been using for 3 years - no problems or complaints. system is easy to use and has a shallow learning curve.

Pros: Ease of use; convenient smart phone integration - especially camera-phone for ER receipts.

Cons: Don't know if BT will handle 1.5x, 2x, overtime premium labor hour situations.

by BigTime Software on 2020/01/16

Bill,

Thanks so very much for posting a review for us here at BigTime! We are super excited to hear that you are coming back to us after being away for a time. :) We're very happy to hear that you're enjoying our integration features and the shallow learning curve. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us if we can be of help in any way.

• Reviewed on 2020/01/15
Robin S.
Actuarial Analyst
Insurance, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/28

"could be better"

Pros: that things stay in place from one week to the next

Cons: have to write the same comments over and over - our last system saved comments to re-use

by BigTime Software on 2018/12/03

Robin,

Thanks for leaving us a review here at BigTime - we're very pleased that you're happy with your BigTime and we understand your cons 100%. You might consider submitting a Feature Request to have this feature added to BigTime. A great number of the current features we enjoy were suggested by users just like you and BigTime made the changes and now everyone can use them.

If you would like to submit a Feature Request, simply send an email to [email protected] Please make sure you put "Feature Request" in the subject line of the email when you send it and provide as much detail in the body of the email as possible so that we're sure that if and when we implement the feature, it is done properly. Our Development Team examines each Feature Request very carefully.

• Reviewed on 2018/11/28
Bryson A.
Office Manager/Marketing Coordinator
Architecture & Planning, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2016/12/02

"Lightweight and Flexible"

Comments: My company has been using BigTime for over a year now. We're a busy office of 25 architects and logging hours and expenses is one of the lesser enjoyable activities of the day. Before we were using Deltek and found their interface too exhausting and burdensome for the team to actually use the software or for me to learn how to use it. My experience with BigTime has been great so far. The interface is intuitive and has allowed for more accurate data from the team and more efficient administrative processing on my end. There is the occasional glitch: sometimes I can't export to a spreadsheet but I can export to a word document, sometimes approving expenses doesn't work and I can't figure out why and the mobile app won't upload expenses for only some of the staff, etc. But these aren't the end of the world and response from customer support is always timely, friendly and efficiently solves the problem. We don't currently use it to its full capabilities, but we hope to soon. In the future, it would be great if BigTime were able to sync with an HR and/or payroll app.

Pros: ease of use, interface

Cons: the tasks section seems like too much information for my firm. we don't use it and it's fine.

• Reviewed on 2016/12/02
Stephanie M.
Proprietor
  • Reviewed on 2018/02/07

"My support rep was very responsive and addressed my concern."

Pros: its easy to use and navigate. Support response quickly. And it's intuitive making it comfortable for all levels to use.

Cons: I don't import to an accounting package and would like to be able to mark time as paid in order to run an unbilled report.

by BigTime Software on 2018/02/08

Stephanie,

Thank you so much for your lovely review! We are very pleased that you've had a positive experience with our excellent Support Team - they really are among the best in the business. :) We're also happy that you find the interface easy and intuitive - we work hard to make it so.

Regarding your issue with being able to run a billed report, I'm afraid that the root of that issue has less to do with what accounting package you're using (or not using) and more to do with your current Big Time package. If you would like to upgrade to our Pro Package, then you would be able to run an unbilled report as soon as you're done invoicing.

If you would like some information about upgrading to Pro, please do not hesitate to reach out to us immediately - [email protected]

The Big Time Customer Success Team

• Reviewed on 2018/02/07
Grace B.
Office Administrator
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/05

"a very robust program. I am still learning."

Pros: Access online and ability for support team to look at data. Quick set up. Further training available for purchase.

Cons: I would like to work in tables for quicker input. Because it is complex and captures a lot of data, report drafing can be challenging.

by BigTime Software on 2018/04/09

Grace,

Thanks so much for posting your review! We really appreciate both your time and your effort to let us know your thoughts about BigTime!

Regarding your con, this sounds like something that would make for an excellent Feature Request. If this is functionality that you think would make BigTime better, we encourage you to submit it as a Feature Request. We listen very closely to our customers and evaluate every Feature Request we receive and many of the features within BigTime today are direct results from past Feature Requests from customers in the past just like you. If you would like to do this, simply:

1. Send an email to: [email protected]
2. Be sure that the Subject line reads: "Feature Request"
3. In the body of the email, provide as much specific detail as possible, to help inform our Dev Team

Again, thanks so much for your review and the great idea. Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

• Reviewed on 2018/04/05
Jilliam A.
Office Administrator
Accounting, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/20

"Great software"

Comments: It is now super simple to see all of our companies current projects and update statuses in bulk.

Pros: I love the customization features of BigTime and how simple the layout is. I have also found the live chat function extremely helpful for setting up our software with the help of an agent in real time.

Cons: There could be even more customization options to provide more individualization.

by BigTime Software on 2019/08/22

Jillian,

Thanks for leaving us a review! We really appreciate it and are happy to see that you're loving our customization features and the simple UI. We're also very pleased to hear that the chat feature is working well for you - please do continue to utilize it and keep us posted as to how things are going for you.

We're always ready to assist here in Customer Success - we hope to hear from you!

• Reviewed on 2019/08/20
Alissa T.
accountant
Public Relations & Communications, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/07/31

"great customer support"

Pros: the customer service/response with questions is outstanding. the upload to QB is easy. and the time tracking is efficient

Cons: hard to understand how the budget tracking works - but, with help from customer support - all began to make sense

by BigTime Software on 2018/08/01

Alissa,

Thanks so much for your review - we really appreciate your taking time out of your busy schedule to let us know your thoughts on your BigTime. We're very pleased that you've had a good experience with our customer support - we work hard to have the best support in the industry, so we're happy to see that you're experience was a positive and helpful one.

Regarding managing budgets in BigTime, there are lots of options to learn more:

First, check out our Project Management and Budgeting Webinar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMcaLnyJseM

Second, we have tons of articles in our Knowledge Base that deal with budgets: http://kb.bigtime.net/results?query=budget

Lastly, you can always reach out to our Support or Success Teams for more information or assistance. You can email Support ([email protected]) or Success ([email protected]) anytime.

Hope this helps!

• Reviewed on 2018/07/31
Christopher B.
President/Sr Consultant
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/19

"excellent on boarding session Brannon was superb!!!"

Pros: it is very easy to use and understand and the fact that I can watch the recording again is very helpful

Cons: not much I don't like at this point I have used it ith another company and cant think of anything I would change based on usage

by BigTime Software on 2018/04/24

Christopher,

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us a review - we cannot tell you how much we appreciate your opinion and your willingness to share it with us. We are very happy to hear that your training has gone well so far and that you find BigTime easy to use and understand. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us if there is anything that we can do to assist you or if there's anything that we can do better!

Thanks,
The BIgTime Customer Success Team

• Reviewed on 2018/04/19
Associate
Management Consulting, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/07/05

"Perfect tool for keeping your timesheet"

Comments: Timesheet is super easy to track because of this software! You can input decimal points, you can always go back and edit if you haven't submitted it.

Pros: This is an excellent tool for keeping a record of your workflow and time in motion. Super easy to understand and can be accessed even outside the office. Once I forgot to submit my timesheet, but I didn't have to worry since I can send it at home without installing any apps (but just fyi, there is an available app you can install, which is very awesome!)

Cons: There's one or two times that happened, there was a double entry of an activity that I didn't do. I think it was a glitch, but I think they already fixed it. So no more complains.

• Reviewed on 2018/07/05
Blair D.
Principal / Owner
Architecture & Planning, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/01/24

"Initial Review"

Comments: The support staff was very good at focusing in on our needs and listening patiently as I explained our issues. She was able to provide past experiences with BigTime as an end user which was really useful. I like that she understood how we use our software against Fixed Fee Contracts to manage our budgets and invoicing, which really reassured our discussions on how best to use the software to meet our business needs.

Pros: Simple interface with powerful tools available if you need to get into the details of your project budget management and financials. For months our employees and I tried and installed just about every product out there that was potential based on recommended reviews by others or friends. Either the product was too complicated from the get go or too simple and lacking. The more we tried to learn using the demo's, the more disappointed and frustrated i became.
BigTime had just what we where looking for and the more we we use it, the better WE are at managing our projects and budgets. I say WE because it allows our employees to self-manage there times against our budgets which in turn allow us to anticipate issues before they are problem$.

Cons: That i didn't discover it sooner.

• Reviewed on 2017/01/24
Jen W.
Medical Devices, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/02/08

"Project budget & time management tool"

Comments: Very easy to learn and integrate on a small or large scale.

Pros: BigTime is an excellent software for providing real-time billing and time management reports to ensure a project is on budget and resourced properly. The online and app version functionality make it easy for all employees to maximize the use of this tool.

Cons: We have used BigTime for about 3 years as a company. I find it is very easy to use and manage. No complaints.

• Reviewed on 2021/02/08
Desiree F.
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/09/25

"Big Time is the solution to consultant invoicing!"

Comments: We've saved SO much time, and we can pump out invoices so quickly now at the end of the month!

Pros: Super easy to log time and expenses both on the desktop, and on the go.

Cons: It doesn't really work well with Canadian tax rates, so we had to break into the back end and do some reverse engineering to code with our taxes.

by BigTime Software on 2018/09/27

Desiree,

Thank you so very much for posting another review for us here at BigTime - we love hearing from our users and it's always a pleasure to hear from one who is as excited about our software as you are! We're very pleased, too, that we're saving you time and money and helping you get your invoices out the door quicker, which is making your business more healthy in the long run. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you!

Thanks again!

• Reviewed on 2018/09/25
Robyn C.
Executive Assistant
Architecture & Planning, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/02/26

"Project Management/Budgeting"

Comments: As someone who considers themselves tech savy, I am having issues with this software creating more issues than being helpful. The webinars should incorporate more consumer questions or feedback, especially if there are common themes with user questions or issues.

Pros: BigTime has the potential to be very user friendly, however, there is a learning process. Not everything is the same. For example, when I run one budget report, submitted time is not included, while in another report it is.

Cons: The data does not always auto populate and the software should be able to generate numbers and percents on its own... I should not have to go in and manually input % complete, it should be done on it's on as the team moves forward within the project.

by BigTime Software on 2019/02/28

Robyn,

Thanks for leaving this review and letting us know about your struggles and concerns. BigTime's flexibility does have it's downsides and often that comes into play in terms of the learning curve. However, we will have one of our Success Team reach out to you directly and help with these specific issues. In the meantime, definitely take a look at our Knowledge Base (http://kb.bigtime.net/), which has hundreds of articles on things like custom reporting (http://kb.bigtime.net/using-bigtime/using-reports/creating-your-own-reports-in-bigtime/creating-custom-reports/) and creating % complete invoices (http://kb.bigtime.net/using-bigtime/invoicing/creating-draft-invoices/creating-percent-complete-invoices/) which auto populates task percentages for you.

We hope this helps, and keep an eye out for an email from one of our Success Team members.

BigTime's Customer Success Team

• Reviewed on 2019/02/26
Ruth K.
Accountant
Accounting, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/05/12

"Great Support"

Comments: Great time tracking and job cost tracking.

Pros: Integration is easy. Support is great. Use is very easy, roll out went very smoothly. Works on phones, tablets, PC. You can start a timer on one device and pause or stop it logged into another device.

Cons: The occasional glitch where the task or work code doesn't save properly. Never ever messes the time up though.

• Reviewed on 2017/05/12