Schoology Learning Reviews

• Overall
    4,4 /5
    4,3 /5
    4,4 /5

About Schoology Learning

Schoology, a PowerSchool company, is the education technology company putting collaboration at the heart of the learning experience.

Learn more about Schoology Learning

Matthew C.
Instructor
Higher Education, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/09

"Clutch for shifting to online learning"

Comments: Overall, Schoology was a lifesaver. We experimented with different products but really enjoyed the controls we had as instructors. In a time when the pandemic hit, we were struggling to find the application that worked best for us and this ended up being the perfect fit. It was a huge bonus that it came free and that we were able to find a testing software to continue our online education. Kudos!

Pros: The features that made choosing Schoology the most impactful was that it was free, had many controls as a course instructor and created safeguards for academic integrity. It had more controls to avoid cheating, created amazing supports for test writing (test bank, fill-in-the-blank, mix-and-match, time allotment, weighting etc.). It was very user friendly in that it created items that we used in in-person teaching and made life so much easier!

Cons: My co-teacher and I had a hard time figuring out how to prevent students from receiving their grades right after submitting their exams. I'm sure it was a matter of deep diving more, but in our scenario of first-time users, the students received their final grades after their final exam rather than giving us a few minutes to explore the stats and realize if we needed to drop questions or not.

• Reviewed on 2020/12/09
Technology Director
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/08

"Love this LMS!"

Comments: This is a great product, and is super easy to use for almost anyone, it is lacking in some features but overall great product.

Pros: This is the best possible LMS that I have found out there-has several features. Organized folders, quiz giving ability and integration with ExamView, discussions, and district wide setup ability.

Cons: It is very spendy if you want to implement it into your school-hard to justify when Google Classroom is free. I wish the integration with google was more seemless, and the lockdown browser option was free for quizzes/tests.

• Reviewed on 2019/09/08
David T.
Former Teacher
Education Management, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/07/26

"Schoology is a great way to engage students!"

Comments: Overall Schoology was a great way to engage students and assess their learning in a more interactive and interesting way. The student's seemed to like it better than using just books so it was more engaging for them.

Pros: Before I transitioned out of teaching, I used Schoology quite a bit as a teacher. Schoology made it easy and convenient to engage students in the classroom. You could post informational resources for them such as notes and websites, or create more interactive lessons with embedded youTube or other videos and they can be set up so students can do scavenger hunt type things on the computer. They also can be used for assessments to see if students learned the material they were supposed to, as an exit ticket, or a way to review information at home. These assessments could then be loaded directly into e-school for student grades.

Cons: One thing I found difficult was sometimes setting up answers to questions especially if I wanted a more free response type of question, although they do offer ways to grade on a rubric as well. Sadly in the day and age of inflating grades there was also no way to grade on a curve, which meant that even though grades could be directly loaded into e-school, administrators desired you to then have to go back into e-school to inflate student grades. All in all they seemed to be keen to adding new features that made things easier for teachers. They also had two different kinds of assessments, one of which I found not nearly as friendly as the other to use.

• Reviewed on 2020/07/26
Katie K.
Instructional Technology Specialist
  • Reviewed on 2020/07/20

"Schoology - an AWESOME tool!"

Comments: Schoology is a great solution for "one stop shopping" for our students. This is a great time-saver in the classroom.

Pros: My staff and students have used Schoology for the past three years. It is a great learning management system. The students find it user friendly and the teachers love having one place to manage the many aspects of their classes. Excited to see what new features will be coming this year!

Cons: My teachers are patiently waiting for Schoology to be tied to our student information system so grades will import directly!

• Reviewed on 2020/07/20
Cathie G.
  • Reviewed on 2015/12/30

"Your Classroom Experience Will Change with Schoology"

Comments: Schoology is an all encompassing learning management system (LMS) that allows teachers to expand the walls of the classroom beyond the school day. Students can easily log into their Schoology account and access class materials, watch embedded videos, practice skills, or respond to class discussions. Teachers can organize and create folders and build an entire course throughout the year. The interface has a social media look that can be appealing for students. However, students treat Schoology as a course and not Facebook. Restrictions can easily be enabled to ensure that student's post before they see other responses. The Schoology App works extremely well in a 1:1 iPad classroom. Students can easily add their Google Drive App and submit assignments from Google Drive directly to Schoology. Teachers have an easy toggle feature that allows them to score student work efficiently without opening new tabs for every student assignment. Rubrics can be easily created and directly attached to the assignment. Schoology does platform with Pearson, Powerschool, and many other online sources. Those services provided do cost money. Schoology is COPPA compliant and has signed the Student Privacy Pledge. Videos and tutorials are easily accessible, and the company is very responsive to questions and suggestions. I was using another popular LMS but found that my students treated it like Facebook. When I switched to Schoology I found that the interface and the assignment feed are easier to manage and sort through. Students treat Schoology as a course and not another form of social media. They respond appropriately and use it as a resource for their learning. Building on-line quizzes take time, but students respond well to receiving the instant feedback. Aa a teacher, I find the assignment feature and uploading from Google Drive seamless. I've been able to leave feedback and not feel overwhelmed reading 100 essays submitted in Schoology. The hardest feature of Schoology is learning and discovering all of the bells and whistles it offers. I would recommend using Schoology with a team of teachers or a colleague. It's much easier to bounce ideas off of each other as you tinker with its features. Once you maneuver through the first weeks of Schoology you won't turn back. I left everything I created on my old LMS and have had no regrets. Schoology is ideal if your looking to go paperless as well.

• Reviewed on 2015/12/30
Stacey K.
  • Reviewed on 2020/07/21

"User Friendly for Students and Teachers"

Comments: Often times during the course of a class mistakes are caught and need to be fixed. It is very easy and smooth to fix issues while the class continues to run smoothly. The integration with Google Drive is extremely helpful to make things seamless for students!

Pros: I have used a lot of different Learning Management Systems and Schoology is by far my favorite! It is very user friendly on both the teacher and the student end. It is easy to build courses and manage them. It's easy to see student progress and grades. Using folders and all of the different content options, it is very easy to organize the content so that students can navigate it easily.

Cons: Over the years of using Schoology, they have made many updates that have fixed the complaints I've had. My complaints come more from other systems we use, such as single sign on. And the issues isn't with Schoology, it's with students not knowing their login information to sign in.

• Reviewed on 2020/07/21
Brittany B.
Educator
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/07

"Schoology Success!"

Comments: At first, I will admit, I struggled using Schoology and I am pretty tech-savvy. After spending some time diving into it, I found it is pretty user-friendly, easily accessible by both students and parents, and a great way to present documents, stations for classes, and assignments. I loved being able create groups for stations and color coding each one. Made it simple for my younger students.

Pros: Schoology is a platform that has features perfect for a middle/high school classroom setting. It allows the ability to have students access their assigned class and find documents needed throughout the year. It is simple and straightforward for students, allows administrators to create groups within the school for educators (ELA, 5th grade, etc.), and can be utilized by everyone.

Cons: It is not an aesthetically pleasing platform, with little to no design features, minus a picture and color coding the folders.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/07
David C.
Supervisor
Restaurants, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/07/14

"Schoology helps organize classes and groups. It keeps everything organized and available for all."

Pros: Schoology is a great organization tool for students as it displays all their classes and has each classes' contents inside the group. This allows for teachers to easily make assignments and information available to students digitally. Schoology also has a built-in calendar and notification system to make sure students turn in assignments on time. It has a very intuitive interface and it is easy to access for both administration, teachers, and students from both the mobile app and the web.

Cons: Schoology can sometimes have bugs which makes it frustrating in a classroom setting. Bugs can take time to fix and can delay important teaching material. The settings can be confusing at times and the mobile app can crash at times. Schoology support also takes some time to implement essential features which can be quite annoying at times.

• Reviewed on 2018/07/14
Marja L.
Librarian/tech coordinator
  • Reviewed on 2017/09/19

"When we used it I was very happy with the product."

Comments: As a former English teacher, it was so nice to have students be able to speak their voice in a setting they may not have been comfortable with prior to using Schoology. We were able to do many of the same discussions with our Bible students as well. It really helped in studying scripture passages.

Pros: I love the addition of the discussion board feature. Requiring students to post prior to seeing other students' post makes it easier to ensure they are not summarizing/rewording someone else's post. This was something that several teachers at my school requested and Schoology was very quick to implement it.

Cons: I really have nothing negative to say about the software. Many teachers at our school had a real problem with handing over a copy of our drivers licenses to a company when we already had a full background check with our school during the hiring process. It felt like a violation of privacy.

• Reviewed on 2017/09/19
Jo P.
eLearning Developer
Primary/Secondary Education, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/12/06

"Flexible, fully-featured and fun!"

Comments: Schoology works best for a whole school setting where different ability levels of instructors and learners will be accessing the platform. Especially suited to an establishment which intends to develop a blended learning and learning self-paced learning approach outside of the classroom. A school which confidently uses mobile apps and digital technologies will find Schoology a healthy addition to their collection of digital tools.

Pros: +A huge community of teachers and learners looking to sharing their experience and support one another in the usage of the platform.
+A recognisable user interface which makes the learning curve for new users simple and intuitive.
+Superb flexibility to create bespoke learning environments for teachers and learners.

Cons: - Some limitation of iframe embed due to the HTTPS protocol requirement. Use of HTML code editor often strips the inclusion of more advanced features such as Java functions.
- Limitation toe badge and gamification of learning.
- LTI integration not fully functional, relying on apps developers to plug the gaps.

• Reviewed on 2017/12/06
Gretchen D.
Primary/Secondary Education, 5 001-10 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/06

"Multiuser Program for Large School Districts"

Comments: Overall, I found Schoology to be a very useful platform to be used within a large school system. It allows for information to travel quickly and for collaboration to occur.

Pros: This software allows the users to not only access courses and communications, but also enables groups to be created to share information.

Cons: In order to reach certain aspects of the program you have to click through multiple operations in order to reach the desired destination.

• Reviewed on 2019/09/06
April B.
  • Reviewed on 2018/03/28

"Easy to use while giving me the results that I want in my classroom."

Comments: I was able to effectively communicate with my students with the software and they enjoy it as it reminds them of social media.

Pros: This software is very easy to use in the classroom setting. I can easily message my students at any time as well as their parents when I need to reach them which is a nice option to have available. I also like the fact I can exchange classroom resources with other educators that may be using the software. I am also a huge fan of the fact that I can make quizzed, grade prior assignment, and keep in touch with my students with just one application.

Cons: I think that there are a few things that can be improved regarding this software such as the mobile application at times seems to be problems with it crashing which means I lose things that I have not been saved at that time. I also dislike the fact that when new features are introduced it seems to take a while for them to become fully functional.

• Reviewed on 2018/03/28
Michael B.
Graduate Research And Teaching Assistant
Higher Education, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/02/06

"Not The Best Out There"

Comments: Schoology at my school was more or less a necessary evil. Most faculty complained about it, and few were able to champion its intricacies to achieve some really cool results.

Pros: My school used Schoology as its online platform, and it was relatively easy to post, receive, edit, and grade assignments within the platform. Making announcements to classes was also simple.

Cons: I never felt the platform was very user-friendly. There are a lot of hidden features and seem to require a number of special clicking around to achieve. I have used other online learning platforms that seemed simpler to use. The online editing/grading tool was especially bad when it came to editing word processed documents.

• Reviewed on 2019/02/06
Kelli G.
District Instructional Technology Coach
Primary/Secondary Education
  • Reviewed on 2016/09/22

"21st Century LMS for the 21st Century Learner"

Comments: I use Schoology in all aspects of my classroom. I create and share resources with other teachers in my district. I share resources with my students. I use Schoology as our online discussion forum. I create assignments/quizzes/tests in Schoology to help with paper clutter. I use the audio function in Schoology to help differentiate assessments. I also use Schoology to keep track of my Relay for Life group at my school where I can share event dates, updates, and important messages. I love that Schoology can be used for teacher-led instruction, but also for students to learn, create, and publish their own work. Schoology is a great tool to use for collaboration as well as differentiation. Super easy to use, and the best part is that there are so many different ways to use Schoology from a Resource Hub for teachers, to a full blown online classroom.

• Reviewed on 2016/09/22
Joseph R.
IT
Information Technology & Services, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/15

"Perfect to Stay in Connection With Students"

Comments: Great software even with those little bugs. Great way to keep parents in the loop with what is going on with their child in school.

Pros: LOVE this software! My son went to preschool last year and this product was a great way to help me stay in contact with his teachers. There are so many other features on the software that I haven't used yet as he doesn't get graded like other grades yet. I will be able to see the courses he takes, the grades he receives and so much more. Excited for the new school year to start to get those updates from his teachers and his school!

Cons: Last year, we did notice that there was a couple bugs with the software. By not being able to post or only posting half at a time. But it seems those issues have been fixed and/or being worked on.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/15
Aisha L.
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/25

"I used Schoology for years!"

Pros: I used schoology for about 8-9 years as a homeschooling mom. It allowed me to manage my kids assignments and share their progress and status with their dad or even the kids grandparents. It was like a parent-teacher conference room online. As my kids got older and transferred to a charter school for high school, I shared the resource with the school principal and now the entire school uses it for all their instructors and courses.

Cons: There are no Cons. It is perfect! It is great for parents. It is great for Instructors and it is also a great tool and resource for students.

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/25
Grace M.
Instructional Technology Liaison
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/06/19

"Students first needed 1 place to go to see homework. Now the whole school communicates in 1 place."

Pros: Ease of use, continual upgrades, available both in web and app version, LTI compliant, robust grading features such as rubrics and customizable grading scales, mastery grading features...The App, in particular, is very easy to grade on, as it allows for easy inking on student submissions. It has also been used that students can submit work on their phones if their regular laptops are not working.

Cons: The calendar feature is relatively weak. It would be great if that were better able to connect and sync with Google calendar and Outlook.

• Reviewed on 2017/06/19
Director of Technology
Education Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/12/19

"Schoology as a LMA"

Comments: Schoology is very quick to answer with questions. They work users in making their product better and are changing the way we educate our students.

Pros: Schoology is designed in a format that is very easy to use for the creator (Teacher) as well as the end-user (Student). This Learning Management System is always working to make things better. The networking among users is fantastic.

Cons: It is not designed as a standard gradebook program which is something we fight with parents and students who are still in the mindset of grades and not standard based grading.

• Reviewed on 2018/12/19
Chief Technology Officer
Education Management, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/01/30

"Schoology fits the bill!"

Pros: Schoology does just about anything a teacher wants for a LIMS (Learning Information Management System) or classroom app. It will allow teacher-student interaction, classroom discussion, testing, assignment check-in/check-out, etc. Great product. In fact, I recommend that unless you REALLY need the "skinned" version and enterprise-grade support, you use the free version

Cons: Only, from an IT administrator's perspective, the pressure from sales personnel to upgrade to the paid/Enterprise version of the software.

• Reviewed on 2019/01/30
Nick T.
Bishop Bennett Technology Fellow
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/22

"Good Overall"

Comments: Schoology makes it easy to get in contact with anybody associated with our school very easily, which we have not been able to do in the past. It also keeps our grades, lets students access assignments and many more things that are very helpful for our district.

Pros: This software makes it easy to communicate between students, parents, faculty and staff of my school. We have setup multiple auto imports in and out of Schoology and it makes life much easier as an admin.

Cons: While we have setup auto imports, they do not always work. Their support is great when we need help, but I feel like we are needing assistance more than we should -> At least once a week.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/22
Heather A.
English Teacher
Education Management, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/11

"Schooolgy for all"

Pros: I love this software because it allows the student and the teacher to be in contact (legally) 24/7. I most flipped lessons, videos, classroom announcements and homework for the night. I can also attach homework worksheets or notes that were given in class that day.

Cons: I do not like that you must always move the tab up when you post the latest assignments, or message.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/11
Chris V.
Director of Online Education
Primary/Secondary Education
    4,5 /5
  • Reviewed on 2015/10/29

"Excellent LMS for any sized institution"

Pros: What I like best about this LMS is three-fold. First, it is super mobile-friendly, and has an excellent app for all OS's. Second is that Schoology is intuitive. Our students and faculty have no problem learning and navigating the software. And third, the LMS is built for design! Our instructional designers can focus on working the the SMEs to design extraordinary courses and not ahve to work about being HTML experts.
What I like best about the vendor is their high level of personalized service.

Cons: Its not really a "least," but Schoology was born in the K-12 world and functionality for higher ed is not as strong as it could be. But we have been thrilled with their responsiveness in incorporating our design suggestions.

• Reviewed on 2015/10/29
Lori H.
  • Reviewed on 2017/09/24

"Integrated Schoology into my high school courses years ago. Can't imagine teaching without it."

Pros: Robust assessment creation feature allows random selection of questions from question banks, resulting in a unique assessment for every student. Layout looks familiar to students, so its use is intuitive to them. Scoring with a rubric is amazingly simple.

Cons: Sometimes drop-down menus overlap windows, making it difficult to complete tasks that require the use of both.

• Reviewed on 2017/09/24
Terria S.
kindergarten teacher
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/28

"Using Schoology as Educator"

Comments: My overall experience with Schoology has been really great. I personally really like the platform. I like that I can add folders, assessments, use the calendar, and add material for students however you would like to.

Pros: What I like most about this software is that I can create assessments that I can link directly to powerschools gradebook. I love that I can create many different types of assessments, that it links directly to the calendar so that all students can see it, that schoology will grade the assignment also.

Cons: The think I like least about the software is that at times there are glitches within the software. There are times when students and parents are not able to access the site.

• Reviewed on 2020/11/28
Assistant Teacher
Primary/Secondary Education, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/04

"Great for teachers, mediocre for students"

Pros: -Allows teachers to compare students scores quickly; both to a class standard and previously set standards
-Makes complicated assessments easy (re-takes, late work, etc.)
-Makes paper grading much easier (ability to send multiple different forms of feedback, safely store grades, easily navigate between papers)
-Connected to Google Docs

Cons: -Hard for students to grasp at first, not very user friendly for children
-No messenger for students