• Overall
    4,5 /5
    4,3 /5
    4,3 /5

About CANVAS

Canvas LMS is a fully SaaS learning environment that streamlines interaction and builds strong teacher-student relationships.

Learn more about CANVAS

Showing 2 029 reviews

Dr. m y J.
Senior Lecturer
  • Reviewed on 2021/02/06

"Canvas for Online Learning, Teaching & Assessment: OK but..."

Comments: Best valuable features: Share to Common, Import/export content i.e., transport/transfer files from past year or another course. It saves time, not reinventing the wheel. Assignment Due date is very cruel to learner as 1 second late submission may cause a heavy penalty. Recently due to COVID-19 my learners in UK and International faced difficulties. I suggest to add a feature giving some window instead of a fix hh.mm.ss timestamp.

Pros: Learning & Teaching: Various useful features, e.g., upload/download files, page creation, announcement and discussion and valuable apps containing ubiquitous tools, like MS Team meetings, Panopto, Vimeo, YouTube, Dropbox etc. Assessment: Huge variety of Quizzes, secured quizzes, quizzes SWOT statistics, lockdown browser, Assignments, anti-Plagiarism tools, Moderation, Marker Allocation, Grades, Research: Conferences, collaborations, Canvas digital forum support.

Cons: Assessment of students: sorting may not be sync'd with local university database. i.e., downloaded grades and university's marksheet contains names of students starting differently. Imaging if you have 300+ names! this causes sorting issues while assessing online. Quizzes are great but cannot create duplicate questions, some time academic need this feature. Also because quiz question can be an Essay therefore, this type of assessment must include anti-plagiarism tool (i.e., Turnitin etc), not available in Quizzes but only in Assignments. Reference Manager and Library tools are not available but can be added, e.g., Talis, StudyNet etc. These features are necessary for cognitive learning and cresting your own Library does help. I need to use either Endnotes or Mendeley as an external app on my desktop or on cloud. Its good to use integrated Email tool but its not linked to outlook or other email app. I cannot send email to other people outside my module, i.e., cannot do cc to manager, examiner etc but I need to permanently add in the list of people.
Also cannot add images etc in text but can attach files. Also cannot format the text but just plaintext is allowed. You cannot add http link to a text.

Munetaka K.
Materials Engineer

"Great LMS"

Comments: I have used many learning management systems both as an instructor and a student and Canvas is by far the easiest to navigate and organize as a beginner.

Pros: It is very user friendly. While it has a lot of options and features, it isn't overwhelming or confusing like a lot of other learning management systems.

Cons: Discussion board that are meant to be long term places to communicate (not one-off assignments) seem to get lost easily.

Gaurav S.
Research Assistant
Education Management, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/26

"Great LMS for any kind of team"

Comments: Perfect. I loved using it.

Pros: I worked for ASU online and worked at all the levels for Canvas as a user or developer. I loved the myriad number of features along with the ease of use.

Cons: Sometimes it creates issues while attaching video files to the assignments. I guess external file uploaing can be made more intuitive.

• Reviewed on 2020/12/26
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/27

"Finally, a student portal that makes you want to learn!"

Comments: Overall, I'm highly satisfied to have a student portal that doesn't make me want to tear my hair out. The developers clearly did a lot of research and user testing into finding out what features students need, as it still astounds me how complete of an experience the app is. Just about the only major issue with it is that some instructors don't make the most out of its functionality, but that's not really an issue with Canvas itself.

Pros: As a student who used to use Blackboard, I immediately saw Canvas' UI and overall look-and-feel as a huge upgrade. I like that it's based on modern UI design patterns, with features like the sidebar and the single flush column of content. It makes the web app inviting and fun to use for young students like me who are on their phone for most of the day. One relatively minor feature that I greatly appreciate is the in-app PDF previewer, which saves me from wasting time having to download the file or opening it in a new tab and cluttering my workspace. Just this feature alone was enough to show me that Canvas' developers really had the end-user in mind. One last big net positive I want to mention is the integration with the mobile app. It's great! Notifications show up on time and don't duplicate or perform other wonky stuff. Having a seamless experience between desktop and mobile goes a long towards making students like feel in control of their learning.

Cons: While there's a lot to like about the UI, I do have some minor grievances with it in a few places. The one thing that really stands out is how some blue links are clickable but don't actually do anything. For example, discussion threads have a clickable subtitle that shows which Lecture Section they're intended for. If it's for "All Sections", then clicking on it does absolutely nothing. I know this is a minor nitpick, but you would not believe how many times I've ended up accidentally clicking on that link intending to go the discussion board.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/27
Brittany P.
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/19

"This software has been a great tool that helped me throughout my college career."

Comments: I was able to be more organized with my work for school. I am a forgetful person but with the reminders on the side of canvas, it helped me to complete the forgotten assignments. Another benefit was that I learn to time manage my work by seeing the work load I have that for that week. In addition, it also helped me to learn to plan ahead.

Pros: Canvas is a great organizing tool. Some pros include the following: a calendar with due dates, to-do list, easy to use, tabs that is very easy to locate, the what if feature, easy to communicate with teachers, pleasing to the eye, has a mobile app, coming up assignment features, viewing files without downloading them, break down of your grade, and very simple. With this system, I did not have the need to buy a planner to write down all my assignments.

Cons: There is not too much I dislike about the system. Though the system is very organized, if the instructor does not put the files in an organized manner it can be hard to seek the desired files. In addition, there are some times where canvas can be very difficult to use as you have to click different features to get to the desired file. In addition, for the discussion page, it would be super helpful if the reply comments could be in a file with the original comment of the discussion board. In one class, we have weekly discussions and the students of that subjects has to write a powerpoint to explain a character that defines it and the student who did not create that has to write comments for it. At first it was not much but later became very hard to locate the different power point comments due to the immense amount of reply comments.

• Reviewed on 2018/04/19
Emily B.
Digital Learning Facilitator
E-Learning, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/03/02

"Sky's The Limit"

Comments: I was the digital learning facilitator at a high school with 1400 students for the last two years, and those were our district's first two years with Canvas. I helped design and lead professional development for staff and students that we used county-wide. I also helped with user management for my school, as well as working with teachers to implement the program. I would've loved the program, when I was in the classroom, but I know a lot of my teachers found it overwhelming, so we had to do mini PDs and teach little pieces at a time so it was absorbable.

Pros: There's nothing in online learning that this learning management system can't do. It differentiates, it allows you to set hard and soft deadlines for assignments, it lets students work in groups, and it integrates with just about every educational website out there.

Cons: Because it can do so much and is so flexible, it can be a bit overwhelming for the non-tech-savvy to learn. Also, the notifications of updates aren't clear so it can be challenging to keep up with the changes.

• Reviewed on 2020/03/02
Catherine B.
Secondary Educator
E-Learning, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/06

"Educational Course Management Gold"

Comments: CANVAS has been an essential tool in an online learning educational world. It has helped to organize the classroom, my students by providing them with up-to-date information as well as equip them with resources in order to succeed. Highly recommend taking time to learn how to use CANVAS effectively online tutorials.

Pros: As an educator, using CANVAS allows me too give my students complete access to the entire course, grades, resources, group e-learning, classroom chats, and feedback from myself. As more and more educational facilities are moving to online learning because of the current pandemic, having quality course organization is essential so that students are able to know exactly what their standards and requirements are in order to succeed. It’s all about setting students up for success and I’ve been able to use CANVAS to keep my courses as organized and functional for students to eliminate the overwhelming nature of online learning as much as possible.

Cons: There’s a bit of a learning curve with CANVAS. There are a lot of functions and it does take some dedicated time to learn the system in order to use it effectively. There are plenty of online tutorials though that are very helpful for educators and students and making the most of this course organization platform. I know I still have a lot to learn myself, but I believe I’ve been able to use CANVAS effectively and beneficial for my students.

• Reviewed on 2020/10/06
Adelyn C.
d.Leadership Co President
Education Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/19

"Helpful for school, could be improved"

Comments: I think the existence of a dashboard for pretty much anything is really helpful because it's hard to manage things that are in very different places and I really appreciate that Canvas makes it so you can see everything in one place.

Pros: I'm really glad that a lot of schools have integrated with Canvas — I take classes from 3 different schools and using the same site for all of them is very convenient. I think the customization on the teacher's end can be nice because each class has different requirements and I also like the what-if score calculation so students can figure out what kinds of scores they need in order to get the grades they want.

Cons: I feel like though there is customization and each class is different, the discrepancies between different types of classes even in the same school can be a little too wide. It would be nicer if it was a bit more user-friendly, especially in the "Group" functions where you can do small discussions — those pages are always very difficult to find and I have discovered that my professors tend to avoid using them. The mobile app also gets frustrating because you can't seamlessly shift between Canvas pages for different schools, you have to log out and back in.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/19
Summer Intern
Education Management, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/08/23

"Clean, easy, and"

Comments: While Canvas is not perfect, it is by far the best class organization tool I have used and I can only see it improving from here.

Pros: Canvas is by far the best class organization platform I have used as a student. There are so many features, such as a calendar, grading system, discussion system, grouping system, messaging system, announcement system, file system, and more more components implemented in a clean interface for both the desktop site and mobile application, making Canvas feel like a very complete and comprehensive tool. Configuring Canvas is easy, but any snags along the way can be sorted out by contacting Canvas's excellent customer support. So long as a teacher or professor is willing to make good use of Canvas, then the tool will serve as a huge boon to both students and instructors.

Cons: A more robust and open grading system would be more useful for determining one's current or final for when teachers or professors implement less traditional grading weights and tactics. While the software is clean, certain features and pages can be convoluted to find. The file browser and downloading files could be improved and made more intuitive.

• Reviewed on 2018/08/23
Ryan S.
Assistant Professor
Higher Education, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/13

"The worst LMS except for all the others"

Pros: Having used Blackboard and D2L in the past, I know how bad LMSes can be. Canvas is by far the best I've ever used, but it definitely has its warts. Favorite features: 1. Creating a quiz with questions is nice because you can stay on the same page the whole time without refreshing every time you want to change something.
2. The gradebook and built-in grade weighting makes it easy for me and students to track grades
3. The grade "what-if" calculator for students is great.
4. Analytics makes it easy to track who is keeping up to date in the class and who is not.
5. Quiz question analytics makes it easy to tell what questions are good and what needs work.
6. Having a decent phone/tablet app is nice for me as an intructor and for students.

Cons: 1. Sometimes it's hard to tell if something is published or set to be published. Especially when I end up working on the same thing in multiple browser windows, I sometimes leave a module or quiz unpublished that should be open. It would be nice if feedback for that was more obvious.
2. Quiz banks are hard to find, and a little annoying to work with.
3. The Inbox could use some updates. It's nice that the feature is there, but it's a lot of clicks to send the message where you want it to go.

• Reviewed on 2019/04/13
Julie O.
Associate Professor
Higher Education, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/15

"Canvas Convert"

Comments: For me, the positives outweigh the negatives. I like being able to choose and customize the course homepage. Customization is easy and intuitive. For example, you can to use a page or module format for your course. Linking and embedding files, videos, and images is straightforward. In regards to images, Canvas has a built in Flickr tool that gives you free access to a large image database. The Canvas Commons Q&A area has information that has been able to answer almost all of my questions.
As indicated earlier, the gradebook issue is an annoyance but that’s all it is.
I actually look forward to learning what else I can create with this LMS.

Pros: The educational institutions I’d taught at for the past 17 years both used BlackBoard. I have about 1 month of experience using Canvas. With I that in mind, the biggest benefit is the intuitive Canvas of the interface. Compared to BlackBoard, you don’t have to go through as many steps to accomplish your goal. Whether it’s creating file or another course page, it’s easy to do.

Cons: The gradebook needs improvement. Here’s why. I give a fair number of assignments in class that are paper and pencil or outside of the Canvas environment. In BlackBoard I could go to the gradebook, create a column for the assignment and start entering grades. In Canvas you have to create an assignment in order to create a new gradebook column. It’s an unnecessary extra step.

• Reviewed on 2019/09/15
Hans T.
System Administrator
Higher Education, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/10

"A MUST HAVE collaboration tool!"

Comments: This app has been the most powerful tool in our institution in engaging the students, and saving papers/tress for the environment too.

Pros: Our institution have been using Canvas very heavily, and found it extremely intuitive. The best thing about it is the powerful collaboration and the discussion tool within this type of portal. I have seen that students who are shy in lecture classrooms, but end up participating very heavily in discussion in Canvas. The availability in mobile platform making learning very continuous and exciting. The students can also upload docs, sheets, slides into Canvas portal to submit assignments. We recently have started to use it outside the education realm, such as staff training, performance review and project collaborations, due to its simplicity, friendly, robust and powerful communication tool. Extremely little downtime also add to the pros of this application/portal in terms of stability.

Cons: Nothing so far but perhaps integration to other collaboration tools (such as GoToMeeting, Webex) will be much helpful ..

• Reviewed on 2019/09/10
Timothy M.
student
Construction, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/06

"The Quickest Way to See Classes Activity"

Comments: Overall, Canvas is a good software to help students organized and manage their study time and completing their assignment on time.

Pros: The best thing about this software is that students can see the due date and list of to-do assignment of your classes. All the notifications will appear on the right side of the desktop screen or on the notification tab on the phone screen. This is very handy and easy to catch up the any deadline of the assignments. Help students have a better management in current time and plan ahead of time.

Cons: The thing that I like least about this software is the discussion board/ class discussion, which is available for everyone to comment and post opinion. It is so hard to find your own comments or post if there are already a bunch of comments existed in the chatroom. Hope that this software can minimize the comments on one post and only allow to see if users want to expand to view the comments. This will help a lot for students only interested on original post instead of have to go through all the comments in order to see other posts.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/06
Jessica G.
Full-time student
Education Management, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/29

"Keep me in check"

Comments: Overall i think Canvas should be used everywhere. I have heard of other programs like Blackboard but I would prefer Canvas

Pros: I love canvas and using it for school. I like being able to see what assignments I have and when they are due. I also really like being able to mess around with the "Grade" tab and put in different grades for my assignments and see what my final grade would be. It is easy to submit assignments and resubmit and have never had problems of Canvas shutting down on me in the middle of a test of quiz.

Cons: Theres is an occasional rare glitch with the program that maybe some things I delete from the to-do list will still appear when I log in again later in the day but it eventually goes away.
The only problem with Canvas that isn't really their fault is that it depends on the professor you have and how familiar they are with the program. I can have a professor that will post all assignments and files that I will need for the day and others who will do things one at a time and not give me an accurate reading as to what my final grade would be at the end of the year.

• Reviewed on 2018/11/29
Blake M.
Director of Information Technology
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/29

"This is what an LMS should be!"

Comments: We switched to Canvas when our school went 1:1. This was a key component of the success of our program.

Pros: This LMS has become the hub of my classroom. It holds both students and teachers accountable with complete tracking of assignments.

Cons: It could have better integration with our SIS (FACTS), but I think this is more of an issue with FACTS.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/29
Rebecca M.
Nonprofit Organization Management, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/04

"Great for Education, Ineffective for Communication"

Pros: I very much like the calendar feature, allowing me to easily see the upcoming assignments and manage my course work.

Cons: There are several options where instructors can put information and assignments and each instructor uses it a bit differently. As a student this can be confusing and frustrating as I'm constantly searching for the information I need until I learn the instructor's organizational style. Also, some communication was missed as the alerts are slow, not seeming to be in real time.

• Reviewed on 2020/12/04
Brittany S.
Higher Education, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/10/14

"CANVAS Review"

Comments: CANVAS allows professors to structure class assignments easily. It is organized for students to learn and submit assignments with breeze.

Pros: This software is easy for the user to navigate grading, assessments, and homework. The professor and student can communicate with ease about grading and class discussions. It is easy to organize assignments.

Cons: It would be more beneficial if the discussion posts layout was structured differently after submission. It is not easy to reply to other students once you made a post on the original discussion page.

• Reviewed on 2020/10/14
Program Development Administrator
Higher Education, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/29

"Organized and easy to use"

Comments: Generally, I've found it a great one and done spot to organize my materials and communicate with my students.

Pros: I enjoy using Canvas to organize my course syllabus, assignments, and discussion boards. It is pretty easy to use, intuitive, and organized. Their customer service is extremely helpful and responsive helping to problem solve whatever my needs have been.

Cons: There are certain features I would have liked changed. I have my students do a weekly journal response and there is no feature that enables them to be graded per response - I have to assign a point allotment as a whole and then personally track each individual entry.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/29
Kalin H.
Higher Education, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/06/09

"Great for Educational Institutions"

Comments: I have found Canvas to be the best solution for course management during my time as a student. The software is complete and easy to use for both educators and students.

Pros: I used this software in college, and it allowed all of my professors to organize content and assignments into one place where students could easily access them. It also allowed me to take quizzes that my professors had posted. I have used multiple platforms during my college education, and I have found Canvas the easiest and most simple to use. I have also heard professors say that they too prefer Canvas over other solutions.

Cons: I did not have any complaints about this software during my time using it. It offered simple organization, communication between students and teachers, and easy ways to turn in assignments. It also has an app that allows students to access content on mobile platforms without using a browser with a poor layout as other platforms do.

• Reviewed on 2020/06/09
Amanda E.
Law student
Law Practice, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/09/29

"Simple and to the point"

Comments: Overall, canvas really works and is so simple to use! My main wish would be that they figure out a better way to download documents (maybe even in a zip file or in a combined pdf!).

Pros: I love how easy it is to navigate canvas from one course to the next. I like that each page is organized and it allows professors to create different sections to put the syllabus or other assignments in. I also really like that you can embed documents into the pages, without having to click out of the page.

Cons: I wish that canvas did not allow professors as much liberty with their home pages, because some of them do not know how to use them and end up sort of just throwing a bunch of content into the home pages, reducing the capacity of students to navigate the sites seamlessly. I also wish that there were an easier way to download a bunch of documents at once, without having to jump to a different page and then have to click download every time.

• Reviewed on 2020/09/29
Casey A.
Instructional Designer
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2016/11/07

"Canvas delivers safe performance and safe functionality, but is just that, too safe."

Comments: Canvas is the latest iteration of a classic lms. It is safe. It does exactly what people have been doing already, it does not push the envelope in any way in order to push online learning into new bounds. If that is what you are looking for - an lms that you can use at your highly structured institution (have seen it used in both corporate and academic contexts) then this is the lms for you. It has the standard question types (MC, T/F, short-answer that you have to review) and the standard features (chat room, file repository, syllabus page, course announcements, modules with videos). It is a good iteration of this type of lms - the design is way better than Blackboard, more intuitive and appears more modern. But at the end of the day it's just 90's era e-learning. If you are looking to try new things with online learning - if you can't rely on any in-person component to clarify issues - if you want to implement creative activities to reinforce learning -- then this is not the platform for you.

Pros: - Ease of use

• Reviewed on 2016/11/07
Business, Technology and Multimedia Teacher
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/06/26

"Canvas for Digital Literacy"

Comments: Canvas has been a blessing for technology teachers who cannot rely on textbooks and are forever creating their own curriculum from scratch. Canvas allows one to teach without necessarily inventing the wheel.

Pros: Canvas has a direct link to Creative Commons and this allows teachers to share learning and instruction. Canvas will permit unlimited memory for uploading instructional Videos. Students can do peer reviews and teachers can share student portfolios and rubrics for student feedback. You can also record your feedback using the speed grader.

Cons: Students have a tendency to look at their grades using the school's grading software and make note of Missing assignments. The thing I like least about Canvas is the lack of consistency with the school grading software such as Gradebook or Aspire, and Canvas itself. Missing and Excused grades have no equivalency in Canvas and due to international standards I assume never will.

• Reviewed on 2019/06/26
Employee
Government Administration, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/19

"Great Collaborative Experience"

Comments: Overall, Canvas is a great product for collaborative work places. It offers a lot of cloud/chat forums/projects for all your online needs.

Pros: I like the ability to customize the features. My University uses this for all of its online coursework. The feature I like best is actually the app for mobile users. When you are on the go it is extremely user friendly to access Canvas course materials from your phone instead of having to jump onto a computer.

Cons: Uploading videos using a third party provider was sometimes challenging. I feel that I would figure it out the first time, go a couple weeks, and forget how to upload it again. Would be nice if their was more tutorials or forums to help with this ability.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/19
Dania W.
Research Assistant
Education Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/06

"Excellent functionality for students; tricky for instructors"

Pros: Canvas is one of the best student interfaces I have worked with; it supplies logical modules and excellent tools to support student engagement and assignment tracking. The mobile app implementation is also very solid and much better than other competing projects.

Cons: The behind-the-scenes infrastructure can be tricky for educators to learn, and there are some nuances to running multiple classes or sections that aren't immediately obvious. Once the system is well understood it is pleasant to use, but the learning curve is noticeable and any institution implementing the software should be prepared with troubleshooting resources for instructors.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/06
Regina H.
Higher Education, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/02/28

"Great interface and usability"

Comments: My experience with Canvas was overall positive and I wish that my current grad school would switch over to Canvas from Blackboard.

Pros: I used to use canvas when I was a student in my undergrad so it’s been a few years since I’ve used it but now I am able to compare it to Blackboard, which is what we use in my grad school right now, and I have to say that Canvas is a much better platform. Canvas has an engaging and aesthetically pleasing interface, especially compared to Blackboard, which looks very dated. It’s also very easy to navigate as a student due to its intuitive nature. I also liked how they had an app so that I could access Canvas using a webpage but I could also access it using an app on my phone or ipad.

Cons: I don’t think I had any qualms about Canvas; I greatly enjoyed using the software and it made it easier to have access to class materials.

• Reviewed on 2020/02/28