POSIM Reviews

by Retail Success

Filter by:

• Overall

About POSIM

Built for retail companies that need more than a light-weight cloud POS. POSIM is perfect for complex and unique inventory demands.

Learn more about POSIM

Samantha B.
Associate Direct Retail Services
Higher Education, 2-10 Employees

"POSIM Saves Lives"

Comments: Ok, maybe it doesn't actually save lives, but pretty darn close! We used POSIM Diamond for DECADES, far longer than we should have. We finally needed to upgrade because we were stuck using old technology for our cash registers.

Pros: *Reporting: This is VERY important to us. We need to be incredibly granular with reports, and POSIM has so many options for reporting. I'm always able to massage the data in whatever way I need. *Cost/Value: POSIM is incredibly inexpensive compared to competitors, even for high-end support and with a ton of registers and locations. At our university, our store, print shop, mail services, computer repair center, and chemistry department all use POSIM in one way or another. It's versatile! Support: Every time I've had to call support (which is more than I'd like to admit) they have either remoted into our computer and helped us directly or answered questions promptly. One time there was a MAJOR problem (I hadn't done an update when I was supposed to - my fault) and we had lost a bunch of data. It was technically backed up, but the technician actually restored the purchases, which made my life so much easier! It was right in the middle of a busy sale day, and they helped us so quickly.

Cons: A lot of our business has to weasel its way into a POSIM invoice. because the invoice fields are not editable or customizable, we have to use a field called "PO number" for an internal billing number and just accept that's what it is labeled as. We would love to be able to customize fields on customer cards and invoices but that is not available at this time. And really, this is a cosmetic problem, not a functional problem.

Shana F.
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/08

"Posim Software Works Great for Retailers"

Comments: The only part of Posim that I have not been happy with is the customer service! Once we were open and using the software we had a few learning glitches here and there. When I called customer service for help they were busy every time, so I have to wait for a callback. Some callbacks took an hour or more. When you are with customers and trying to sell products that is unacceptable!!!!!!! If I would tell someone about this software, I would also explain that!!! Posim must need more people in customer service!!!! Hire more people!!!!!

Pros: I loved working with the people that actually helped set up the software and trained us in the use of the software before opening our retail business. This group of tech people was great and very helpful! We learned it pretty quickly and I feel like it the software encompasses a lot! We can do our retail side of things but also take care of things for taxes and so on the other side of retail as well. There is a lot this software can do.

Cons: I still have some trouble figuring out how to print reports I want. For example, I have a lot of books in the system. For restocking, I would like to print out a list of the books in the store so that I can see what has sold to restock. I seem to have trouble getting to the same point every time. It also prints so much with it I don't want. This is probably more me than the software. I just need more training in this area.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/08
Georgia A.
Director of Merchandising
Hospitality, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/10

"Great software for POS needs"

Comments: All of the staff at posim we deal with are very professional and courteous. They are very sensitive to issues that affect store operations when we are open.

Pros: The software is very intuitive and easily trained to our staff working at retail storefronts as well as behind the scenes with receiving merchandise. There is a great interface for ecommerce that has worked well for our small online storefront.

Cons: The reporting for multisite is not as robust as we would like. There are occasional issues with store to store transfers. The tech support is very responsive to these issues.

by Retail Success on 2019/04/24

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review - we truly appreciate it! We would like to get a bit more detail about your store transfers. This should be a seamless transaction. We will make sure to have someone from support reach out to you. Thanks for the feedback!

• Reviewed on 2019/04/10
Susan D.
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees

"POSIM EVO review"

Comments: I like having a POS system in lieu of figuring things out manually; however, what I do not like is having to wait to be called back when I have a question or problem. I also don't like having all of the POSIM seminars starting at 11am EST. This means I have to hire an employee to cover my shift during your training if I want to listen to it real time. I was also told when I purchased the system that you would work with me and schedule training etc during non working hours but that never happened.

Pros: The ease of printing labels in the system and tracking customers. My favorite report is the tax report. So much easier to do than manual calculations!

Cons: A lot of the features are not intuitive and require several steps. Reports are not easy to do such as a birthday list of clients.

Tina M.
Owner/General Manager

"POSIM Reveiw"

Comments: We went from a no point of sale system to POSIM and it has done wonders for our business. It has actually cut back our spending and the accounting part has cut back my expenses with my books.

Pros: The software is so easy to use. Even our computer challenged employees have been able to learn the program without too much frustration and the support from POSIM is great.

Cons: The most frustrating thing for us has not really been POSIM's fault, when microsoft does an update we will have issues with the printers but that is not POSIM's fault. However they are always there to help when you need them.

Connie E.
Proprietor
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/16

"POSIM Review"

Comments: Overall, the experience is very positive. I would choose POSIM again. The customer service is excellent, and the program works well for my business. I haven't utilized all of the functions - need to do that!

Pros: My customers and I really appreciate the ability to maintain a purchase history.

Cons: While it's been a while ago, I didn't realize that an upgrade to a different program (Java) was not compatible with POSIM. I quickly learned after I lost all of my customer data and inventory records. I'm now backing up daily to avoid another mishap....

• Reviewed on 2019/04/16

"Posim EVO"

Comments: Overall, we consider it the best in its price class and won't be changing. We've been using Posim for 20+ years.

Pros: It has plenty of issues, and it's nearly impossible to get a feature request implemented, however, for a retail entity with a large inventory, it the best in its price class.

Cons: Sometimes glitchy and overall not easy to train new employees.

Susan G.
Gift Shop Asst. Manager
Hospital & Health Care, 2-10 Employees

"Posim Review"

Comments: I have taken advantage of the different trainings offered by POSIM and appreciate these refresher courses.

Pros: POSIM support is wonderful. Although we seldom has issues, we know we can always depends on the Posim support team to quickly identify the issue and resolve the problem.
Also, POSIM is very easy to learn. We have a high turnover of volunteers in our shop and are continually needing to train new volunteers.

Cons: I honestly can not think of anything that I don't like about the software.

Megan G.
Buyer

"Posim POS"

Pros: How detailed you can be with the products that you have

Cons: The set up takes awhile but the staff is great to help you

Shane C.

"POSIM For Retail"

Comments: Not worth the money invested into the system have had problems over and over especially with website linker issues as well as corrupt data with product descriptions changing on their own

Pros: I like the automatic reorder functions and the front end sales use of the system

Cons: It is an extremely expensive system that would be great for a warehouse or distribution center that doubles with retail but its too much for just a typical retail environment

David C.
Regional Retail Manager
Arts & Crafts, 51-200 Employees

"A Good Option"

Comments: For the most part we have had a very good experience with Posim, aside from some glitches in the system.

Pros: It is very easy to use. I like the reporting features very much.

Cons: It tends to be very glitchy. We have to call quite often to get technical support to fix different glitches within the system.

Hartland C.
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/09

"Review of POSIM for mid sized independent retail store."

Comments: It is very powerful software that helps us manage our large database of items (38,000 plus at any one time and as many as 80,000 over the course of a year). The software challenges us to be a better managed store. The tech support is the best we have experienced of any software and service we use. With small problems they can help us immediately and the Team Viewer app built in to the software has been quick and flawless. Larger problems have taken a day or two but have not created a problem with operations. In 2-1/2 years we have only experienced one problem that stopped operations and it was resolved within about 2 hours. To be fair, some mistakes in our internal training had created a improper method of entry at the registers. The tech support team worked together to quickly work with us to prevent a future problem.

Pros: POSIM is easy to install with off the shelf hardware and has modest requirements for processing power and storage. The options for timed promotions and offers are very flexible. Generally, the software is the best option we found because of it's price and available record keeping. We like the Macintosh platform and operating system it uses because ease of use and quick training are important in a retail environment.

Cons: Can be slow to respond at registers if the network is not fully optimized. Keeping data up to date is imperative and importing data, while not a fault of the software, is something we are constantly struggling with to improve. A users group for tips and tricks would be helpful as well as collaboration on data and workflows.

by Retail Success on 2019/04/24

We are glad you are finding POSIM software a great solution for your business. If you continue to have network issues, I recommend reaching out to our support team as they might be able to assist you in making data migration more friendly. Thanks for your feedback and your business!

Bill B.
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/10

"Growing with Posim Evo"

Comments: All in all, I am pretty happy with POSIM Evo and try to submit improvement ideas and report bugs. I think like many companies, Posim doesn't seem like it spends enough time communicating and working with customers on a grass roots level. It feels like there is more of a gap there then should be.

Pros: I have been watching this product since its original versions were created. I always used Apple Computers in my operations and business and wanted to stick with that Hardware. As our retail division grew, we needed a POS system that would run on Apple Computers. The Original version of the core software was no longer supported and I didn't what to tie my business to something outdated and poorly supported. I waited years to see what was going to be the outcome of your software. I was excited when I heard that it was bought by younger, more dynamic owners and that they were working on a major rewrite of the whole system in Java and MYSQL. When this new version EVO was available, I pulled the trigger and purchased POSIM EVO.

Cons: 7 or 8 years ago it was new and had a lot of bugs. The core features where there from the original POS version, so it was a functional POS, but there was a lot of improvements and fixes that needed to take place to make it a stellar POS System. Most of that has been done over the years, though it took way too long to get a lot of things fixed and running smoothly. It was often like owning a Beta Version at a Alpha price.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/10
Lynn F.
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/15

"First POSIM PC User"

Comments: POSIM keeps getting easier to use with each update. The POSIM staff is fantastic. They are on the ball & get back to us with answers.

Pros: Our store was the first PC POSIM user. The software is pretty much user friendly. When we first started using this system 20+ years ago I felt like this was much harder & more complicated to use. With each update POSIM is very easy to use & offers many more features. They are always coming up with better & easier ways to help us. The POSIM staff also helps explain how to do things if you have a problem & a yearly contract. The yearly contract has been a lift saver for us, especially on weekends when no one is in the office. There is always someone on call that gets back to us within 30 minutes.

Cons: When we first started with POSIM, getting our complete inventory in was a nightmare. Our salesperson didn't realize how much inventory & how many skews we had. Now there is a much easier way.

• Reviewed on 2019/04/15
Carla B.
Co-Owner

"Posim is awesome"

Comments: Posim is our third POS and I feel it is the most accurate of all of them. Yes we have gilches and user era's but overall our inventory is accurate. I feel we have had good support except in the report area.
I do appreciate the fact that Posim is listen to our needs and issues and working with us.
Customer service has been amazing!

Pros: We can't say enough good about the availability of support. We appreciate the fact that we are able to get problems resolved quickly. The software is for the most part very user friendly.

Cons: We have not been able to use the report portion of the software. We find it very confusing. we we're not trained in that area.

Paul N.
Vice President
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/19

"POSIM Software does what it says it will do."

Comments: After 12 years of use, I haven't found anything better. Their help desk has always been responsive and timely. I happily recommend it to others.

Pros: POSIM is available to run on Apple Macs, so viruses are no problem. It's never failed us, and we're open year round. We have over 11,000 item cards, with at least 5,000 active in our store at all times. The inventory tracking is a huge plus for end of year reconciliation, and day to day checks for product availability. The Point-of-Sale plus reporting lets us know what products are selling the best, and the worst.

Cons: After 10 years on the same iMac, finally had to upgrade the hardware. Should be good for another 10 years.

Tod W.
Operations mgr

"Good reporting"

Pros: Configurable reports. Boolean search.
Nice customer list management.

Cons: Laborious updating prices
Confusing inventory count input.

Lesley J.
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/09

"Better for other industries besides retail"

Pros: The integration between store and online, and the reports

Cons: Not as user friendly as I hoped and issues with barcodes for jewelry labels

• Reviewed on 2019/08/09
Duk-ki Y.
Duk-ki Y.
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/25

"Scalable POS System for Mac OS"

Comments: Very satisfied, as POSIM has been very stable, and the tech support has been top notch with our support plan. We have purchased several seats (1 Desktop and 1 Mobile), and it's been very effective.

Pros: This was one of the first advanced POS system made for MacOS, and still is one of the best POS software systems around. Over the years, the system has added may features needed for the scalability of my operation, as our inventory needs have grown.

Cons: The fact that you have to pay for integration with online stores like Shopify, and the inability to delete item cards in bulk (in inventory clearing or donations). Since we stock items that are limited in nature, and the item cards are no longer needed after being dormant after 1 year, we need a solution that eliminates the clutter in the database. However, the system functions fine with all the historical date still on the database, and not archived away.

Chris S.
Owner/ Manager
Sports, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/26

"Awesome Product, Amazing Customer Service"

Comments: The experience with the company has been great. Customer support is prompt and well versed in how to get things going. They are also great on prioritizing issues so we are never left without a functioning means of doing business.

Pros: This software let us do a lot without needing any separate plugins. We can track work orders of products dropped off by customers, have real-time inventory linked to our Shopify website, and link our customer database to Mailchimp.

Cons: There is not a whole lot that we are disappointed with, any problems we have are typically user error, or addressed in future updates after discussing concerns with technical support.

June H.
Owner/Manager
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/13

"Great support, good program and sensible updates"

Comments: We purchased the business 10 years ago, with this program up and running. It has been relatively easy to train new hires and the preset reports are very handy.

Pros: Support is top notch and the program is adaptable to a variety of business setups. We are a hardware/general merchandise store that has used POSIM for over 20 years. This keeps track of our variety of inventory, regardless of the manner in which we sell it, ie. per foot, per each, or even a bundle of items. We rely upon the AR portion as we offer in-house accounts, so the reports are very important to us.

Cons: Glitches! But, who doesn't? :) Until a program is heavily used, the bugs and glitches don't appear, until the most inconvenient time. Here's where the support staff really comes into play. It would be nice if you could "park in the background" the portions of the program that aren't in daily use.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/13
Amy H.
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/31

"Do It from Day 1"

Pros: I have been with POSIM for over 15 years. I didn't open my business with a POS system but wish I had. Everyone worked to get it up, organized, and running for us quickly. The training was fantastic and still today if I have a question, it is answered or addressed quickly. I feel that POSIM has an easy to use interface. My staff is comprised of a majority of "non-computer" users and they are able to confidently process a transaction.

Cons: There are some components that I don't use every day, like layaways, that I don't feel are as user-friendly and feel that the manual lacks in some areas of explanation.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/31
Mary D.
GM
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/19

"Probably the best POS I've used"

Comments: Overall, I would say this is a really good software and it does 95% of what I want, which is way better than any previous point-of-sale systems I've used.

Pros: It is very intuitive. Copying items is easy and saves quite a bit of time when entering a number of new things. Importing is probably a tool I could use more, but the times I have used it worked as expected.

Cons: The pre-built reports have gotten better in the time I have been using this POS, but sometimes it is difficult to find exactly the information I am looking for. The define-a-report and dynamic management reports can usually provide everything, once you get used to building them...there was a learning curve for me on that.

Jim M.
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/09

"Jim Mitnick - AEC Online Store"

Pros: Allows us to easily push products into Magento

Cons: We have been talking with POSIM for over a year to update your software so the fields that import into Magento are correct. We have provided feedback and heard nothing back. This is a big negative and should be fixed.

by Retail Success on 2019/04/24

We appreciate your feedback and want to ensure any integration we support is optimized to offer a seamless connection between POSIM and any third party. We have been working with Magento for decades and know all too well the complexities this integration presents. We are going to have someone reach out to you to resolve your field mapping issue. Thanks for the review and taking the time to let us know your thoughts.

Jennifer A.

"Easy and fast"

Comments: I have used POSIM since 2009. I find it useful in managing inventory. Using the sales screen is so easy, I have never had an employee complain about our POS.

Pros: It is very easy to use. Easy to train new employees on how to use it. Reports are useful, love the item history option on the inventory cards!

Cons: Define A Report can be frustrating. I don't like that it limits searches at 100 skus when looking up items.