15 years helping South African businesses

About 7shifts

7shifts helps restaurants manage their schedules, time clock, team communication, labor compliance, payroll, tips & more. Start free!

Learn more about 7shifts

Pros:

This is so usefull while you have to make schedules, reports and have a logbook about your workplace. It is also so intuitive and by the price, it is a great option.

Cons:

Employees report that it is the only aspect of the app that gives them trouble.

7shifts ratings

4.7
4.7
4.6
4.6

8.9/10

7shifts has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 1,170 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used 7shifts before?

Filter reviews (1,170)

Leandro
Leandro
Financial in US

7 Shifts for restaurant schedule Management

Comments: My managers and employees love it.

Pros:

It is easy to use and anybody with a phone can have easy access to their schedule, send messages using it, and letting anybody know about changes. It is a very practical and professional tool for the schedules that we use in our Restaurant. We have the scheduling available on our P/R processor, but we prefer to pay for this service as it is more agile and practical than our P/R company.

Cons:

To be honest, I do not have any complaints, but we only use the scheduling module as we have other systems.

4 years ago

Thanks for the review Leandro! It's great to hear that even though you have the option, you see so much value in 7shifts that it goes above and beyond what is offered to you in your payroll provide. Know that we will always be looking to increase the value of our services for folks like yourself. Cheers!

BRENDON
Restaurants, 11–50 Employees

Good system but lacks basic budget

Comments: I’ve used 7shifts for a number of years. I’ve had no complaints up until the basic need of looking at dollars written to spend and also reporting showing us the difference of what we scheduled versus what we spent in dollars. I don’t need man hours I don’t need certain budget tools that they use. It’s just missing the one number that I can use as an administrator to check how my managers with their schedules.

Pros:

The ease of use of using to write schedules and communication.

Cons:

I want to know total dollar spend for the written schedule per day. It is lacking that basic function because it has other tools that are supposed to help you. But the tools are very complex and difficult.

3 months ago

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with 7shifts! We greatly appreciate customer feedback. With any feedback you'd like to share further, feel free to pass it along to [email protected].

Brandon
VP of DTC in US
Restaurants, 11–50 Employees

Great service for a medium sized company!

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

This system is great for a medium sized business. We are growing and hiring more and more team members and the ease to add new members to the team is great. The ability to have several managers use the system is great too.

Cons:

The note section for staff for what is going on that day could have the ability to be more detailed maybe by the time of the day if you have several things going on that day.

2 weeks ago

Susie
GM in US

It’s Okay

Pros:

When choosing the highest cost package, you will have access to the most basic necessary functions. They do not charge base level employees to use the app

Cons:

Some functions change without first being informed (although they state that they always inform prior to a change). Their beta testing due diligence leaves something to be desired. If they are unable to duplicate an error even if you can prove it exists, they refuse to fix it saying they are incapable of doing so. They make their customers pay for basic functions through the most costly package I used to use 7ahifts for over 4 years. I was looking at using them again for a different restaurant. However, the salesperson I encountered was a typical salesperson and never talked to me like they cared about the company Where I’m currently employed. Instead I was told stats about how I wouldn’t find a program cheaper, that they weren’t gouging those who wanted the basic functions I pointed at, and multiple other aspects in which I was wrong. When I pointed that out, he proceeded to raise his voice at me, chuckled and attempted to carry on I hung up on him at that point of the conversation I would have never signed a contract with this individual. Hopefully other sales reps actually care about potential customers

4 years ago

Hi Susie, Thanks so much for your comment. We really appreciate your candid feedback so we can make the 7shifts experience better for all users, and we're sorry to hear your experience was less than ideal. As a product that is growing and evolving every day, our pricing has changed a lot since you would have first started using 7shifts 4 years ago, but we would like to see what we can do to make 7shifts work for the restaurant you are currently working in. Please drop us a line at [email protected] and we will see what we can do to offer a solution the meets the needs of your business. In regards to your interactions with a member of our team, I have flagged this to our management team to ensure that we provide everyone the same high level of service that we ourselves would expect. We apologize if your experience was less than ideal and really take that to heart. We hope that in the future we can earn back the trust you have placed in our business.

Tessa
Curator in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51–200 Employees

Great customer service

Comments: Good. Works most of the time. Customer service is great.

Pros:

If I have an issue the customer service is great. They even take my suggestions and have made improvements!

Cons:

Sometimes it is slow to load so that is anoying

3 months ago

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with 7shifts! We love hearing about how 7shifts has positively impacted your restaurant. If there is ever anything we can help with, our team is here for you. Feel free to reach out to [email protected] for any extra feedback or questions.

Ashley
Accountant in US

7shifts for the win!

Pros:

Getting 7Shifts set up was super easy! The process to integrate with the other platforms that we use was also very simple. This is important because not all companies have an IT department that can blow through tech set up. 7Shifts can be used by anyone.

Cons:

The only complaint I have is the that you aren't able to use the tip management feature unless you use 7shifts' payroll processing as well.

5 months ago

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with 7shifts! We greatly appreciate customer feedback. With any concerns or feedback you'd like to share further, feel free to pass it along to [email protected].

Mario
Managing Partner in US

Very Valuable Tool

Comments: Has been a great tool in the daily operation of our business.

Pros:

The ability to mange multiple schedules. Distribute it easily. Communicate with the team. View sales and sale comparisons. Save daily logs.

Cons:

Not fully integrated with POS so that we could pull individual employee sales or receipts or see PMIX reports.

Ryan
director of operations in US

Amazing Company

Pros:

I love the fact that seven shifts sets my teams up for success

Cons:

I truly like everything about 7shifts. I have no issues with the product

Melissa
Business Finance Manager in US

We LOVE 7shifts!!!

Comments: I give them an A+. I've needed phone support in the past and they've always been very professional and super helpful.

Pros:

From the ease of publishing weekly schedules to employees being responsible for covering their own shifts when needed or scheduling their own time off and/or sick pay is a game changer. No more manual processes. I especially love the messaging system. I can blast the entire company or certain teams or just the employee when needed. It tracks conversations and allows employees to answer. No need for multiple apps...

Cons:

I really cannot think of a single thing.

2 months ago

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with 7shifts! We greatly appreciate customer feedback. With any feedback you'd like to share further, feel free to pass it along to [email protected] and they can help you.

Celine
Hostess in US
Food & Beverages, 201–500 Employees

Great Way to Schedule and Track Hours

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

I love how easy it is for me to check my schedule, update my availability, put in time off requests and communicate with team members. It’s super easy for our team to stay connected.

Cons:

I don’t like that it will log me off randomly, since it is something that I use every day. I also don’t like that the hours tracker has just stopped working. It was a great way to track my finances and budget.

4 weeks ago

Andreina
HR Director in US
Hospitality, 501–1,000 Employees

Potential

Comments: So Far it has worked for our company, hopefully we can further develop our usage.

Pros:

The software has a lot of potentials to be great, the best part of it is the integration with POS so we can have real-time data.

Cons:

There are sections like time-sheets that are unnecessarily hard and not user-friendly.

3 years ago

Thanks for the review Andreina! As you mentioned, we look forward to showing you the full potential of how 7shifts can help your restaurant. As such, your dedicated success manager to see how they can help you out :)

Joshua
Restaurants, 51–200 Employees

Great system and developing nicely

Comments: Customer service as always been a pleasure. Not a big fan of continual prompts every time I log in for feedback or sales pitches but overall a real solid system.

Pros:

During the time that we have used this software, there have been wonderful developments and rollouts that nicely enhance our operation. Keep up the good work!

Cons:

It was very basic to begin with. Coming along nicely and will likely be the best product if they keep it up.

4 years ago

Thanks for the review Joshua. You can rest assured that we will always be working to improve 7shifts and ensure that it's the best solution for restaurateurs like you.

Jeremy
Restaurants, 2–10 Employees

Better than other scheduling apps

Pros:

Setting up availabilities and scheduling is very easy and helpful.

Cons:

Sometimes there'll be a notification even though the notification has already been resolved.

Denise
Restaurants, 201–500 Employees

Great Resource for Restaurant Mangement

Comments: Overall 7shifts has really productively impacted our day to day. Reservation booking, management notes, scheduling have all been digitized and made accessible anywhere we are. This allows for us to work on things and make educated decisions even when we are off property.

Pros:

The best features of this program is all around communication. That includes communication from ownership on down. Everyone always has quick access to the notes and day to day. Management log and scheduling were the biggest attractions for us.

Cons:

The biggest con for me so far is the permissions. We can only designate one Administrator and we cannot customize all permissions down quite as much as we need or would like. Sometimes we are stuck with "all or nothing" permissions decisions for some staff members.

3 years ago

Thank you for the great, detailed review Denise!

Food & Beverages, 51–200 Employees

High powered timekeeping for low entry cost.

Comments: 7punches is high powered, low cost product that was very easy to launch company wide.

Pros:

7shifts has a great entry level price point for small organizations and companies. It is accessible, durable and transparent. It instills team confidence with employees when they can track their timesheets in real time and communicate quickly with management and colleagues through the application negating the need to maintain posted call sheets or add contacts to personal mobile devices.

Cons:

7shifts cannot lock or protect a current schedule once its posted. You must use great caution when editing schedules online or on a mobile device that you are actually editing the correct day and date. If your scheduling manager is distracted during the edit process for a future week it is possible to mistakenly edit (and publish) a current week. Additionally, it would be helpful for the software to utilize a biometric reader in 7punches thereby eliminated the 4 digit code requirement.

3 years ago

Thanks for the review David!

Lucia
Manager in US

Great Product!

Comments: Overall this program is great! Been using for years but it would be nice for some more options to personalize for our needs. Love the reports feature though to see how staff compare in various categories!

Pros:

I do the scheduling for a staff of 60+ so the ease of copying shifts to another week/day is great

Cons:

The integration between this and Toast is great but could still use some work. We primarily use it for the purposes of seeing when staff have clocked in or not and as a manager it would be great to turn this feature on and off for the different departments ( front of house, back of house, bar). It would also be great to turn the feature off for clocking out vs clocking in at the end of the shift vs beginning. As a front of house manager I’m not as concerned with back of house clockins but still get 12 notifications for their staff a day, and I am more concerned about front of house staff clocking in but not as concerned with them clocking out

3 years ago

Thanks for the review Lucia! I've passed along your suggestions for improving our integration along to our team :)

Brianna
Assistant Manager in US
Retail, 11–50 Employees

Great, just needs some tweaks.

Comments: Scheduling mistakes! I used collect employees' schedules and manually enter them into an availability table that I made on Excel. Then I would refer to that table as I made the schedule. The issues arose when employees would text me their availability or time off requests; those were easy to lose track of. This software puts the responsibility of accurate availability on the employee, it's great!

Pros:

It saves time by allowing the employees to add their own availability, request time off, and switch shifts with each other. This software is a huge help and has solved scheduling problems and prevented some mistakes.

Cons:

It only prints a week at a time, there is no condensed version to get a monthly schedule printed. The month-long format that they do have is horribly unorganized & does not print well. This isn't a big issue, it just uses up more paper and space than our previous scheduling method. The absolute worst part about this software has to do with the roles that employees can be assigned: there is no "training" option under the roles that I created. This makes scheduling new employees very difficult. The work-around is tedious; remove their current roles, schedule them for the time they would train and write their role in the notes of that shift. This is inconvenient because it is difficult to track "unassigned" shifts. It would be great if there was a training option under each role so that when I run the report, I can track how many training shifts an employee has had.

5 years ago

Hi Brianna, Thanks so much for the review! We appreciate your positive feedback AND your constructive feedback, which we absolutely take to heart. I have broken down your feedback piece by piece and sent it along to our product team to analysis and consideration. We will also have a member of our team reach out to you to see if we can create a better experience for your workflow. All the best!

Lauren

Great Scheduling Software

Comments: I really like 7shifts, I’ve never used any other scheduling software so I don’t have a comparison other than manual paper scheduling. 7shifts is a million times better than that. I can’t imagine scheduling 50+ people without 7shifts.

Pros:

I own a full service, high end, casual dining restaurant. I have usually between 50-65 employees. 7shifts allows me to manage multiple department schedules for the entire restaurant pretty easily. I very much like the feature that allows me to copy and paste the schedule from prior weeks, as well as the ability to create a template and distribute that template amongst everyone’s availability. I like that it puts accountability for requesting time off an updating availability on the employee. This saves me so much time. 7shifts connects with Cake (my POS) and brings sales over so that I can project my labor for the schedule I’m making.

Cons:

When I start from a template and the software distributes the shifts based on people’s availability seems very random. It would be better if the software was able to take into consideration the employees schedule from last week, keeping it the same as much as possible, and prioritizing shifts to primary roles. When I start from a template I have to do a lot more reorganizing of shifts after the software fills it out for me.

3 years ago

Dang! Thanks for the kind words Lauren, we really appreciate it.

Rachael

7Shifts is easy to use for all staff

Comments: We have been very happy with the overall use of 7shifts and anytime we needed customer service, they were courteous and offered a quick fix. They were very gracious during our Covid closure and offered use of the app free of charge so that we could stay in contact with all our employees. I highly recommend!

Pros:

We use 7shifts as the primary tool for communication as well as scheduling. It's easy to set up, add new employees, manage the schedule, shift bids, and time off requests. Employees report that it is one of the most comprehensive and easy to use scheduling apps they've ever used! As the administrator, 7shifts makes scheduling quick and easy which is a huge benefit.

Cons:

The availability function can be improved. Employees report that it is the only aspect of the app that gives them trouble. Sometimes there is a lag between what the app shows on my phone vs. computer. For instance, shifts that have been edited and published are showing as not published on the app on my phone. Minor issues that cause little to no problems.

4 years ago

Thanks for the review Rachael! We really love the feedback you provided and I have passed it along to our mobile team for review. We want to ensure we make your experience and 11. Also, we are happy to hear that 7shifts was able to support you in the way you needed it during COVID. We ALWAYS want to support our clients and know this has been a challenging time for any small business. Just know that we've got your back :)

Andrew
Food & Beverages, 11–50 Employees

Amazing for scheduling and time clock!

Comments: 7shifts has been a really positive experience.

Pros:

We have used 7shifts since we started our company. We wanted something that could be easy for everyone to use, and we've seen a ton of efficiency improvements over the years! It has been really easy to have different managers run the schedule with ease, and the analytics are helpful for running payroll as well. Would definitely reccomend 7shifts and 7punches as a combination tool.

Cons:

No cons to mention! The improvements over the last few years have really made 7shifts and outstanding product.

4 years ago

Amazing! Thank you for such a great review Andrew. We really love hearing from restaurants that chose 7shifts when they started their business and the impact it has had over the years. Thanks for the kind words and we look forward to serving you for years to come

arpita
Admin in US

Excellent scheduling software!

Comments: I used to make schedules through Excel, and would have employees email time off requests and availability changes. This software makes everything so much easier. It is so easy to use - copy schedules from week to week, move around shifts, copy shifts, etc. This app made me like making the schedule! It's also employee-friendly - they can give up and pick up shifts, and manager can approve them. They can communicate with each other through chat. Phone numbers and emails are available, so employees can easily contact each other.

Pros:

No glitches ever (previous app we used glitched and made errors to employees' schedules) Budgeting tool Ability to put in events Color coding departments and jobs Ability to print PDF schedule Communication (chat and message options) Employees can trade shifts Availability and time off request features are perfect Multiple locations allows you to use employees at different sites, but you can see in lighter color where they are already scheduled to work Great value for the price They keep making it better and will let you know when an update has been made

Cons:

There's a minimal international fee charged monthly for 7Shifts. But that's all!

6 years ago

Wow, wow, wow. Thanks for the kind words Arpita. We love hearing that you and your team are using every feature available in 7shifts to help Reggae Shack Cafe make scheduling less of a chore. Rock on!

Jose Juan
GM in US
Food & Beverages, 11–50 Employees

7Shifts is the most used app other than our POS. Great value!

Comments: Scheduling with 7Shifts is a breeze. It is well designed and functions. This in itself is all I need from my scheduling app to have a good experience while doing a task that can very easily become tedious. 7Shifts makes scheduling for us a fun task.

Pros:

While 7Shifts was the first and original scheduling app we tested, we did try 2-3 others. But we kept coming back to 7Shifts. At the center of this decision was the ease of use, and nice design that allowed for easier scheduling. A scheduling app has to do that and work for us. Without this ease of use scheduling can be a a tedious task. 7Shifts makes this a breeze.

Cons:

I think 7Shifts has a very good core product (scheduling). And I only wish we had more time to test other features. But that is more on us, than the app. The one feature I wish we had back, as an administrator I wish I had the ability to quickly help employees with their password management. Resetting the passwords used to be easy some years back, whereas the admin was able to set-up a password for the end-user. That feature went away some years back.

3 years ago

Thanks for the kind words Jose! We really appreciate hearing that 7shifts is one of the most-used apps in your restaurant.

Becca
Events coordinator in US
Hospitality, 11–50 Employees

Events and 7shifts

Comments: It has been way better that hot schedules and I am happy thus far especially with the customer service !

Pros:

I like that I can use it on my phone or computer!

Cons:

Sometimes the publishing gets confusing and I can’t find workers when I need them

3 years ago

Thanks for the kind words Becca!

Emilee
Marketing & Events in US
Entertainment, 11–50 Employees

7Shifts saved my company!

Comments: I used to schedule my staff with an excel spreadsheet, screenshot and posted to a Facebook Forum. It was a madhouse trying to deal with shift swaps and reading the staff clockin/out cards to match their shifts. With a growing company this just wasn't gonna cut it anymore. 7shifts popped up in my personal Facebook feed and the rest is Kismet. The software has helped clean up so many of my payroll processes, allows my staff to switch shifts with only others of the same experience level or higher (so I ALWAYS have a manager on shift and not a hoard of brand new employees), helps my managers reach staff more easily, is so easy to understand that I haven't had to train the new staff on it and combined with the 7punches Clock-in/out software- I can relax knowing my staff can't clock in if they aren't on the schedule and my staff can breathe easily with the ability to calculate their paycheck in advance! The staff at 7shifts has always been extremely helpful and always welcoming for suggestions and updates. I can't imagine moving to any other system and am so glad I found it!

Pros:

It is easy to understand, set up and the customer service is extraordinary!

Cons:

I wish there were more manager capabilities in the mobile app, but the app has improved already since it was first launched, so I imagine it will only get better.

Bill
Regional manager in US
Food & Beverages, 201–500 Employees

Employees love it!

Comments: Makes employee communication easier. The fact that they can put up a shift and get it covered without anything but observation makes it a really valuable product

Pros:

The employees are clear on when they are scheduled.

Cons:

The experience of the app doesn't translate to the computer