• Overall
    4,3 /5
    4,2 /5
    4,2 /5

About Edsby

Edsby is an award-winning next generation K-12 LMS built for the unique needs of K-12 schools, states/provinces and countries.

Learn more about Edsby

Aaron S.
Lecturer
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/24

"It is exactly what I've been looking for."

Pros: The ease and familiarity of a social media platform with the security and transparency of educational software. I can respond to my students questions from anywhere in the world at anytime and I know that our interaction is transparent for their security and mine.

Cons: The gradebook takes some getting used to and doesn't have all of the functionality of a dedicated platform.

Department Manager - Web Communications
Primary/Secondary Education, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/12

"Everything you need in one place"

Comments: Edsby has been very easy to work with. They are responsive and work to find compromises where our district may do something different from the norm. The software has grown significantly over last 5 years and includes much more than we originally planned, making Edsby a powerful tool in our district for communicating with students and parents.

Pros: As a parent, I want to be able to see everything my students are doing quickly and easily. Edsby allows easy access to all of my students (I have 4 at 4 different schools!) from one dashboard for any grade level. It doesn't matter if I'm on the mobile app or in the browser, the information is easy to access. I can also reach out directly to their teachers. Recent updates have also enabled push notifications about class updates and messaging. My students enjoy it too as it makes it easy for them to keep up to date on what's going on in their classes - NO MORE SURPRISES!
As a district software administrator, Edsby is incredibly easy to manage. The super search feature allows me to quickly and easily access student or teacher information when assisting schools with troubleshooting questions. Granular permissions make sure that the correct people have access to the correct information and not more than they need. EdsbyLink ensures that data imports match our current Student Information System.

Cons: New features come fast! Its hard to keep teachers informed of new features as they arrive and help them use the features to their fullest capabilities.

• Reviewed on 2018/11/12
Brian T.
Director of IT
Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/10/20

"Still in start-up mode"

Comments: Custom report cards. 3rd party LMS instead of internal LMS.

Pros: Meets our government regulatory compliance requirements. Awesome gradebook. Solid report cards. Pulls parent contact information, student contact information, teacher contact information, rooms and schedules from our SIS nightly. Changes are not updated in real time, but are updated within one day.

Cons: New features and updates are rolled out seemingly at the last minute. (ie 7pm notification of an overnight upgrade). Does not match the school year. Pull integration only with our SIS. Rigid roles. Parent account creation for parents that we want to authenticate with AD is problematic. Support department is only 2 people. Attendance is difficult. Does not allow users with multiple roles, ie teacher who is also a parent. Developments don't necessarily match school year. Lacks a threaded discussion board. Planning does not support backwards design. Calendars do not at this point have iCal feeds. No internal auditing of planned absences, so if a planned absence exists for a group or a class, if there is a change in the enrollment of the group or class, the planned absence is not modified for the user who changed enrollment. No list of known issues.

• Reviewed on 2017/10/20
Angelica A.
French Immersion Teacher
Education Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/05/21

"Edsby is a reliable helper."

Comments: I work in education and with Edsby I can communicate with all parents, I have access to all the students information and data, I love the graphs generated and I am really looking forward to using it during interviews with parents. An image speaks louder than words abd EDSBY is an advocate for both students and teachers voices.

Pros: I loved the pedagogical documentation features.I can take a picture or a video of my student and all their hands on work. This is work that when my students would finish, it would be lost, the manipulatives would be placed in bins and their thinking would not be documented unless I would go around and had enough time to take anecdotal notes for all students on that project. Edsby saves me time, helps me organise my students work, values students voice and participation, helps record all of the assessment as learning done in the classroom.

Cons: I feel that the planner feature needs a lot of improvements. I would love to do all my planning online and then have a potential supply have direct access to them before coming to my classroom. It would also be a great tool to creating equitable working environments where all teachers use the same planners and are not "judged" on their technological literacy.

• Reviewed on 2019/05/21
Meredyth C.
Academic English and Literacy Coordinator
  • Reviewed on 2017/09/26

"Mostly positive--I like being able to do my planning and documentation and gradebook in one place"

Comments: Better communication with parents and students and more timely feedback. Helps me build a better portfolio on each student so I can look at the whole picture during reporting.

Pros: User friendly and intuitive. It's a great communication tool to connect with parents, too, as they can see feedback. I like that I can make observations about students and record anecdotal notes.

Cons: Uploading documents to attach to lesson plans rarely works--I often type a whole lesson and then when I try to attach resources it doesn't work and I have to eventually close and then my lesson isn't saved. I don't like that I can't print my lessons, either. I've asked several times for this to be an option.

Jennifer H.
  • Reviewed on 2020/06/12

"Does the job, could be better"

Comments: Overall, Edsby is a decent product that managed all of the basics, but there is much that can be improved upon. It would behoove the developer to sit with an actively working teacher over time and see how the product is working and find the gaps that could be improved.

Pros: I like the ability to be able to copy an assignment to multiple classes rather than creating it multiple times. I also like the ability to create assignments student can complete online with auto grading. That is a huge time saver.

Cons: There were quite a few things that could be improved. The reporting of progress alerts was not the best and the presentation of a line graph as the first view for students as opposed to actually seeing the list of assessments with scores was always problematic. Many students never figure out to click on the next tab and never had a good grasp on their scores. Also, there were some features that were really handy that I NEVER knew about in 3 years of using this product, until all the e-learning took place and there became a sea of information to sort through. Although overall a decent product, I could continue...

by Edsby on 2020/07/07

Thanks for the feedback, Jennifer. Glad you, like many teachers at SDHC, recently learned about other things Edsby can do beyond just report cards. Thanks for the suggestion of making the student "My Work" line graph not the default student view of assessments on browser logins. We're constantly receiving educator feedback and improving the product. Appreciate you taking the time.

• Reviewed on 2020/06/12
John V.
principal
  • Reviewed on 2017/09/26

"Incredible way to efficiently communicate what is happening in the class with students and parents"

Pros: Students can get assignments and information from the class. Parents can view when assignments and tests are due. Parents and students can follow their progression in the class, which prevents surprises at the end of the semester. Easy messaging system for staff, students and parents.

Cons: Sometimes students rely on the information on Edsby too much and don't take responsibility for their own keeping track of assignments. As an administrator, it seems like I can't get rid of old groups which then clutters the management page of groups

Jay E.
  • Reviewed on 2016/10/13

"A great tool if you buy into it"

Comments: Although there are always some kinks to work out Edsby is a useful tool for both educators and students, however, it needs a full adoption in order for the true benefits to take effect. I look forward to the continued improvements.

Pros: Helping kids organize their assignments and work schedules.

Cons: The app is in need of upgrades and certain glitches are left for too long at times making it difficult to sell people on.

• Reviewed on 2016/10/13
Michael N.
Education Management, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/13

"Edsby Gradebook Gets an A"

Comments: I really like that the platform is available on desktop, tablet, and iOS/Android. I have had many parents tell me how easy it is to keep track of student grades.

Pros: I like that there were options for students to have digital assignments. I like the “poll” options. I like that it is easy to communicate with my students and other teachers.

Cons: I would have liked to make a way to transfer grades when a student transfers classes.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/13
Acting Vice-Principal, B.A. Parker Public School & Geraldton Composite High School
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/09

"Excellent Student Management Tool"

Comments: I've used Edsby as a teacher and a school administrator. As a teacher, Edsby has been an excellent tool to collect evidence of learning and calculate final marks. It's also been a very useful tool for communicating with students and their families. As an administrator, Edsby is very useful for accessing student contact information. We use it as an attendance management tool and the feedback has been positive.

Pros: Ease of access; ease of finding information; ability to tailor content specific to school's needs; user interface for administrators and end users

Cons: Wait times to speak with customer service can be frustrating

Avital A.
Director of Ed Tech
  • Reviewed on 2017/09/26

"A great LMS! Interactive and easy to use"

Comments: Daily analytics, communications, LMS

Pros: Platform, report cards, features, interactivity, customer service (BOB), notifications, groups, platform, security

Cons: It is missing an important feature where teachers should be able to message students ONLY - That is a feature the company had and removed - promising to bring back and improve - has not happened yet.

Kimberly L.
  • Reviewed on 2017/09/26

"Great tool to communicate!"

Comments: Easy communication - parents are able to communicate with teachers - and vice versa.

Pros: Easy to access all kids and staff and parents! When there is a message I need to send to students who I do not teach - I can find them and communicate with them easily!

Cons: Things get 'lost' in rivers... they need to be 'bumped' to find them again... I have a hard time finding documents that were shared earlier - as they are pushed to the bottom..

Wendy B.
Executive Director
Education Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/09

"Best Purchase I've Made"

Pros: I love the ease of it! It took us less than 2 hours to get up and running. It has improved the communication between staff and with our parents

Cons: I'd like to be able forward messages to other people. Right now we have to cut and paste.

Michael P.
Education Management, 5 001-10 000 Employees

"Great"

Comments: Love it! Wish more trainings~

Pros: I"m a teacher who uses your anecdotal and gradebook! Amazing. All in one place!

Cons: 1 I wish we could print off individual subject grades though!

Janice S.
teacher
  • Reviewed on 2017/09/26

"It does some cool extras but has lost some basic necessities."

Pros: Communication capabilities within the program that allow for greater communication of various sizes and groups within the school.

Cons: some missing basic necessities like easy printing of student database lists (I do alot of out of class events & having access to printing lists based on grades or gender etc) & grades (switching between percent/levels/out of).

Ligia L.
IT Support
  • Reviewed on 2017/09/26

"Edsby Support has always been very helpful as they always seek the resolution to the issue."

Pros: We use this in Elementary and Middle School. Easy way to keep parents and students informed of assignments and how the student is doing. Report card process is easy.

Cons: If the district has some weird issue with a charter school account it can affect Edsby and Edsby has to work with the district. For Report Cards, it would be nice to have an extra day to "fix" report cards after reports can be run by the district.

Cassandra W.
Education Management, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/09/26

"I use it for attendance - struggle to figure out how to use it for much else."

Comments: Easy attendance

Pros: I like that it has pictures of the students. There seems to be lots of uses but can't figure out how to set it up for my program

Cons: Lack of tutorials, lacks back buttons to take you to the previous page - which the students pictures could be enlarged for better viewing

Katie S.
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/24

"It has been user friendly"

Comments: I can keep track of online grades easily

Pros: I can communicate to students, easy to maneuver grades, print out of blank rosters and I like how it updates frequently the student list

Cons: Still trying to figure out how to enter a 90 in the same column for everyone besides doing every single one individually

Shelley H.
  • Reviewed on 2016/10/14

"My Edsby experience"

Comments: The product and support are great.
They always try to improve the product by adding desired functionality.

Pros: It is a one stop shop for educational engagement for staff, students and parents.

Cons: Occasionally updates break other functionality that was previously working.

• Reviewed on 2016/10/14
Grace C.
Lead
  • Reviewed on 2018/03/20

"Good value"

Pros: most comprehensive learning and analytics platform available for K-12, engaging students, parents and teachers on all of their devices

Cons: combines social networking with class and student management features
Not sure if it's appropriate for young children

• Reviewed on 2018/03/20
Vanessa Z.
QA Engineer
Medical Practice, 11-50 Employees
  • Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 2016/11/02

"Great software"

Comments: It was easy to use. The instruction sheet clearly showed me how to enter data.

• Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 2016/11/02
Malissa C.
teacher
Education Management, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2021/03/10

"Edsby for Gradebook"

Comments: Overall, Edsby does have some features that are really great. The gradebook and report card are the easiest I have ever used. I would recommend if those features are important to you.

Pros: I mainly use Edsby for it's gradebook and report card features. I find it very easy to work with and like to it auto-saves information that is input.

Cons: It is not as user friendly for students and parents as it is for teachers and administration. It freezes and locks students out often.

• Reviewed on 2021/03/10
Lisa B.
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/24

"Easy to use educational software for attendance, grades, and communication."

Pros: Clear and easy to use.
Accessible in mobile and regular format.
"One-stop shopping" for your educational communication: space for anecdotal and numerical grades, ability to communicate directly with students and or parents, attendance entry and communication with the office.
Edsby allows parents to monitor their child's completion of assignments, grades, and what has happened each day in class. Students who are away on family vacations or sports trips can keep track of what happens in class. Teachers can post handouts as well, giving students the ability to complete homework even if they forget a binder at school.
Simple and clear format.

Cons: I am generally pleased with how Edsby works. Any complaints I have are with small details. For example, the reportcard portion of Edsby lacks some of the features of a dedicated gradebook program. Also, I asked the customer service message board if there was a way to print out the curriculum expectations that we select for assignments (which are already in Edsby) at the end of semester, but have not received a response - customer service was much more responsive a few years ago.

Julia P.
Education Management, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/08/07

"Edsby is a great school management tool"

Comments: Edsby is a great teaching and learning tool, but it needs to move forward to be more user friendly for synchronous learning.

Pros: I enjoy the way a class is organized in different subjects and how teachers can be co-administrators.

Cons: There is no way to set up a post to be published in the future or to pin it to the top of the conversation.

by Edsby on 2020/08/18

Thanks, Julia. To capture a sent post at the top of an Edsby class or group, hover over it (in a web browser) and select "Pin," like you would "Like", or "Reply." It's there. Looking at incorporating more features specifically for remote learning.

• Reviewed on 2020/08/07
Jon B.
Administrative Coordinator
  • Reviewed on 2015/05/01

"Edsby LMS - Best of Breed"

Comments: Our school has been using Edsby for 3 years now - it is quite simply the best of breed when it comes to LMS portals. There is nothing I have seen that comes close to its power, simplicity of use, and - most importantly - educational effectiveness. It integrates with our Blackbaud SIS, so pulls all student, teacher and parents into the cloud.
We have 100% uptake by our teaching faculty and students, our data shows that 65% of parents have logged in, representing 100% of our families (we have an average of 3 parent accounts per student).
We do our report cards, data analysis, and all daily class work and educational communication on Edsby. Specifically:
- All teachers post a "Daybook" showing what was done in class, with links to web sources, attachments etc, plus a list of "homework" to be completed. This running record forms the backbone of what students see and do. Students and parents are presented with this as their homepage, so they always know what went on in class and what to do for homework.
- All assignments, events etc automatically post to student calendars. Students can submit work directly back to Edsby.
- The Gradebook is the best out there. Handles pretty much any grading system imaginable, is very flexible and customizable, and produces awesome graphs etc showing student performance to students, parents, teachers and administrators, flagging overdue assignments, custom notes and observations etc.
- The Student Report Zoom automatically flags at-risk students (great for Administration and Grade Teams). Advisors can get instant summaries of student performance.
- Messages get pushed out to whatever email the parent and student register on the system
- It integrates with Google Docs
- Does attendance of course, including attendance resolution by the Office.
- The "Student Panorama" displays all of a student's information including Medical Alerts entered by our Health Centre, observations by teachers (for other teachers to see and use), attendance information, Academic probation alerts...
And we have built several custom Apps to track Community Service Hours, our own Diploma system which requires students to earn leadership points, engage in school groups, teams, and activities - all tracked through the Edsby report card system.
And all in a fast, friendly web browser.

• Reviewed on 2015/05/01