• Overall
    4,2 /5
    4,1 /5

About Brightspace

Our powerful and flexible learning platform helps drive better learning outcomes by offering a highly personalized, digital experience.

Learn more about Brightspace

Adjunct Professor
Education Management, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/27

"Brightspace is a bright choice"

Comments: Overall, Brightspace is great and functional. I love it compared to all the other platforms that I am engaged with. I find this to be very easy and organic feeling, but I do run into minor issues here and there. I was obligated to use this software from my institution that I work at, but if given the choice, I'd select this product. I also have worked with many blog-based websites and this feels more similar to the tools in building a Wordpress or on Blogger. If you are familiar with platforms like that, this should feel very native.

Pros: I've used a lot of similar products for educational reasons like Sakai, Blackboard, WebCT, Canvas and so on and one of the pros for me that Brightspace offers is that it's very clean looking compared to some of the above. I personally find it very organic and easy to use, but I've also been using similar programs since college. Still, I feel like the tutorials on Brightspacde and the layout of it is very clean and well organized that even someone very new to this software could work with it. Some of the things I really love is the ability to customize my individual courses with colors, banners and so on, and embedding videos and images is much easier --especially when creating several courses and linking a pre-made quiz or re-uploading a video. I concurrently used this alongside Sakai since I teach at two different colleges and another feature that I'm very pleased with is the ease of connecting TurnItIn

Cons: There's very few items I dislike, and they may just reflect me and my colleagues. Some of the cons are as follows: I have a lot of issues with the grade book that comes with this software. This seems to be an issue I share with my colleagues as well. Some of the grade book issues range from students not being able to view grades, even after I make them visible to them and the site showing a percentage or point instead of a letter grade, even when I click the option for that. I've also had issues with making internal links to site material. For me, I'll be able to view my links, but my students are often unable to. For instance, you can create announcements that are sent out to your collaborators and in that you can put links or embedd videos and images. When I put hyperlinks to external resources, it'll work fine --same with embedding videos. However, when I link an internal link to something like course material or a lesson, it'll give my students an error, yet the student can still log into the assignment or module by going through the tabs on our course's Brightspace. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It's not a make or break aspect either. For the most part, much of this software works great.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/27
Ben S.
IT Consultant
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/20

"Great for Online Learning"

Comments: As a student my expirience with Brightspace has been nothing but positive.

Pros: As a college student, I have used D2L for 3 years. I have taken a handful of all online classes whose only presence was via Brightspace. Brightspace has created a really nice online environment for classes, you can host all your content there, provide quizzes/tests within Brightspace. Theres even a discussion board for talking with other class members or the instructor. I like being able to work at my own pace, which is what an online class provides, and Brightspace provides all the features to host a well developed online class.

Cons: Auto-saving responses on tests doesn't work always. This is a relatively new feature though so, I'm sure it will get fixed soon.

• Reviewed on 2018/11/20
Elyzabeth S.
E-Learning, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/24

"I use Brightspace every single day!"

Comments: My experience with Brightspace has only been within the last two years, but the experience has been a rich and pleasant one. I am a Graduate student who spends hours, and hours, on Brightspace every single day. The organization of the site is exceptional. The navigation is easy for anyone to understand. It's made school all the easier simply because of the ease that comes with the use of Brightspace. It's a great source, and I would recommend it to everyone!

Pros: The simplicity of navigation is amazing. I have to navigate through multiple courses within Brightspace, and it's very well organized and categorized. Which makes school all the easier. There is never any confusion regarding what I am trying to find, and how to find it.

Cons: The only negative thing I can say about Brightspace is the inability to access previous courses and work submitted within the courses. With that being said, I believe that is a school-based setting, and not a fault of Brightspace.

• Reviewed on 2019/09/24
Accountant
Accounting, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/01/22

"Brightspace was easy to learn as a student!"

Comments: It allows for great communication between students and teachers and overall was simple to understand from both perspectives!

Pros: I enjoyed the formatting and how easy to use brightspace was compared to the previous software my university used. It made tracking grades and all of the content my teacher posted so much easier to follow. It also shows how your grades were compared to other students and allows you to track your own performance. When I was a TA, it was also really easy to post news items, enter grades and insert comments on students' papers. Easy to understand for all users!

Cons: It can be difficult to operate on mobile devices - there are less buttons to navigate the pages but it's not impossible to use.

• Reviewed on 2019/01/22
Instructor of English
Higher Education, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/21

"A platform for learning with its own learning curve"

Comments: Brightspace has allowed our students to access course information online and in hybrid environments. The LMS is powerful and can produce quality courses that are highly customizable and interactive. I have used it for around six months now as an instructor and have noticed that while it is powerful, you might want to trial it out alongside a couple of other competitors to find one that fits you.

Pros: I like the complex features that are offered by this LMS. Course creators can embed external sources, create several nested modules and access plenty of documentation. Users can also access content on nearly all browsers and operating systems.

Cons: There is a steep learning curve, and it can be difficult to even access basic course information as a learner, or to even find out how to create a single module for students as an administrator. The issues related to mobile access, Safari, and flash are still present in this LMS as well. It will be difficult to access certain pages, and some external links do not allow you to access them either.

• Reviewed on 2018/11/21
Rose J.
Consultant
  • Reviewed on 2015/03/25

"No more paper!"

Pros: I like that I've been able to do away with collecting paper in most of my courses. I am also able to easily arrange course materials for my students to access. Depending on your course, the original setup can be intense, but it is very easy to copy the course over for a new semester of a different section. I enjoy being able to post grades and attendance in D2L. I love that I can grade a quiz by question. Sometimes, I need to only look at one question.

Cons: There can be some misleading language such as "locked" on the calendar list next to a discussion assignment. Students see this as meaning that they cannot access the activity. But what it really means is that there is a period of time for which the assignment will be locked. It doesn't necessarily mean that the assignment can't be accessed at that time. I get lots of questions about this. I still find the grade calculating tool is not as robust as I need it to be.

• Reviewed on 2015/03/25
Senior Onboarding Coach
Education Management, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/08

"D2l as a Student"

Comments: Overall I do like the platform because it is user-friendly

Pros: -My school uses a lot of the D2L platform, from learning experience online to binder.
-It is really easy to use and very user-friendly.
-I love the images that were used in the online classroom platform for D2L
-The chat-like function in the classroom is also very useful especially

Cons: -the locker room is a little bit outdated, I think they should add a function where students are able to type document and edit document while in the locker room in the class platform.
-In the D2L binder where PDFs document can be stored for studying purposes, I like this function but I wish that it would make studying ease by adding note-taking opportunity.

• Reviewed on 2019/04/08
Natalie S.
Academic and Financial aid Advisor
Higher Education, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/13

"Simple for students, set up takes work"

Comments: Very happy with it from a student side when the faculty take time to set it up. But setting up a good classroom can be more work than teaching.

Pros: Have used Brighspace as a student and as a faculty. As long as the faculty sets it up well it is exceedingly easy to navigate. The features really benefit the educational experience.

Cons: Setting up the individual course takes time. I felt like I needed to be a coder to actually use to features. We have two full time hired staff to help keep the online classes in this running. Also, the email is ridiculously complicated.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/13
Jack T.
Education Management, 5 001-10 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/28

"Brightspace needs to do a better job with the grade feature"

Pros: This software provides the bare minimum of what would be required from the software. It allows teachers to post assignments adequately (no better than any other system I have seen in class).

Cons: The system is not intuitive and takes a while to locate various functions. The grading component is awful on the student end. Overall grades cannot be seen by the student. Should a student wish to know his or her overall grade they must manually calculate it. This on its own is still a problem since Brightspace doesn't even show the point value of each grade, just the percentage. This program is only useful for students to know their grades a small period of time before they would be handed back in class.

• Reviewed on 2019/03/28
Amy C.
ID
E-Learning, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/04

"Overall is good. But my unit switched to Canvas."

Pros: I used this as both student and teacher as the university purchased it. It was easy to learn, use, and start with. from both sides. Teachers were able to customize a little bit. You are able to see students' last log in time.

Cons: Wish more students' activity tracking data being available.

• Reviewed on 2019/03/04
Assistant Manager
Restaurants, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/11/07

"D2L Brightspace makes it really easy for me to do my online classes!"

Pros: I like how teachers can organize the different parts of the lesson for the week into different categories. Also, I love that you can sign up for text notifications for when new items are posted. It makes taking online classes so much easier!

Cons: I don't like how there are so many different tab options. Maybe if navigation were simplified a bit, it would be easier to use. With that being said, they updated D2L a while ago and the new update has had some major improvements.

• Reviewed on 2017/11/07
Margaret M.
Faculty
E-Learning, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2016/11/22

"Brightspace"

Comments: Previously I have used Blackboard, Moodle, Desire2Learn, and Brightspace, and find Brightspace serves my needs.

Pros: The Brightspace has excellent resources for learning to navigate the system. The tutorials are very useful.

Cons: It has many updates throughout the year.

• Reviewed on 2016/11/22
Occasional Teacher
Education Management, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/07

"Online learning"

Comments: Was a life-saver with the sudden move to distance learning during COVID-19.

Pros: Gives the teacher a good amount of control, and customization options. Allows me to "set it and forget it", which has been helpful during this pandemic.

Cons: The "new layout" is tough for small screens. Keep in mind that many students may be working off tablets/Chromebooks, and don't have a lot of screen to work with.

• Reviewed on 2020/05/07
Dean's Doctoral Fellow - College of Education
Higher Education, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/28

"Better than other options."

Comments: Useful.

Pros: It’s far more user friendly than other options. My students and myself find it easy to navigate.

Cons: The email functionality is not great, while it can forward to a personal email you cannot respond from that email. It causes lots of confusion.

• Reviewed on 2018/11/28
Stephanie P.
Higher Education, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/01/29

"Love this platform!"

Comments: I used another software before this that I though was easy. Until I found bright space i now know what easy is! Super helpful and simplistic which i absolutely lvoe

Pros: It’s so easy to use and has so many tools to help you to be successful and keep track of what you are doing.

Cons: I personally don’t find any flaws with this software. I truly enjoy it and it is easy to use.

• Reviewed on 2019/01/29
Robin H.
Faculty - Nursing Assistant Coordinator
Medical Practice

"D2L Brightspace"

Pros: I like that there are different tabs to maneuver throughout a course. You can very easily go from entering grades, to creating a new module, to entering attendance; it's very user-friendly.

Cons: I currently also work with Moodle, from a student perspective, through my own schooling. So in comparing the two platforms, while I like the ease of transitioning from one tab to another in D2L, honestly, I like the layout of Moodle a little better. I find that it's more comprehensive and just easier on the eyes. I like that you can write text and put pictures on the actual module, instead of having to create a document that a student needs to open.

Heather R.
E-Learning, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/03/16

"Best option"

Comments: I've have a wonderful experience with Brightspace and will continue to use it.

Pros: I love how everything is so easy to find. You can get announcements from your professor and have everything you need for your assignments all in the same place. They also have the app where I can do my assignments on my cell phone.

Cons: I love everything about it. There is nothing that I don't like about Brightspace. I haven't had any problems with it.

• Reviewed on 2020/03/16
Eva O.
  • Reviewed on 2015/03/03

"Freshman Seminar"

Pros: I use the content, news items, grade, attendance, and class list for e-mails the most. I like that I am able to post items students will need throughout the semester, stay in contact with them, and D2L allows personal responsibility for grades and attendance.

Cons: I wish that when using the e-mail-classlist - it would show the entire thread and also that it was compatible with MyMTC. It would be more user-friendly for both the students and faculty.

• Reviewed on 2015/03/03
Eugenio C.
Profesor
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/30

"University point of view"

Comments: It is a very complete and complex platform. Some universities with the appropiate IT department could be able to use it but if they have that department they will create their own platform.

Pros: The support, virtual events and advertising.

Cons: The IT support, video tutorials about features teacher or students use everyday. Features other platforms have very easy to implement.

• Reviewed on 2020/11/30
Steve B.
User Experience Lead
Financial Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/04/09

"Not easy for students - hard for teachers"

Comments: D2L Brightspace was the chosen tool for my online university's IT department for submitting work. The instructor sent out a few emails saying he had difficulty setting up assignments and letting us know we could email our assignments in if needed. When the software worked, it was intuitive and seemed to know what was happening. When it didn't work, it wasn't always clear why, and it sometimes created false negatives indicating there was a problem with an assignment submission when, in fact, it had gone through. This may have been a latency issue, but an app designs for use on limited bandwidth should factor this in. It wasn't a terrible product to use, but I certainly hope there are better options. It does get kudos for being accessible to users with visual disabilities.

Pros: Working on any mobile or desktop device, D2L Brightspace was very convenient from an access perspective for me while taking a refresher course using distance learning.

Cons: The interface was clunky at times, and not always easy to determine if my assignment submission was successful on the first attempt. In one instance I had three submissions for one assignment.

• Reviewed on 2019/04/09
Linda I.
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/09/17

"Great Product"

Comments: Very easy to use and navigate. Only complaint is to incorporate email into the software.

Pros: I loved how easy it was to use. I picked up the ease of use without looking at the instructions on using it.

Cons: The only thing I did not like was integrating things such as email into the software. It would be nice to click a link that opens up an email to send.

• Reviewed on 2020/09/17
James B.
Philanthropy, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/02/07

"Student Review"

Comments: SNHU rolled this out over Christmas break 2017/2018 and provided a 30 min webinar for students. Although the webinar was instructive, the rollout seemed slightly different that the original student instructional. I read older articles and blog posts regarding the RFP that lead to BrightSpace and it didn't sound like the tech dept at SNHU was asking the right questions. I hear time and again how much the staff like it, but have yet to read how students were engaged in the process, which befuddles me.

Pros: Slick student facing design, seems to be many options for instructors to utilize the functions they're familar with, or those they find value for their courses but...

Cons: Too many rabbit holes to go down, too many dead-ends that seem to not have tied ends. Not very intuitive, as a student, too many way to get an end result, resulting in a steeper learning curve and longer timeframe to develop a standard operating procedure.
Instructors are asking me to finish previous weeks work, but failing to unlock the content so I can proceed because of their learning curve. Dislike the linked textbook content, and the ability for instructors to force the work, one way.

• Reviewed on 2018/02/07
Sarah D.
Coordinator
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/19

"Good tool for college programs"

Pros: I liked how good the UX was, I loved the ease of marking exams and writing reviews to students.

Cons: I didn't like that there was nothing out of the ordinary and some of the available functions seemed redundant​.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/19
Angela C.
5th grade teacher
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/12/11

"Much like Canvas, not as user-intuitive as others"

Comments: This platform is one of the platforms I use on a regular basis for non face-to-face classes. I have found that training new users is crucial.

Pros: I like that setting up classes, shells, and assignments with this software is extremely easy and that it mimics Canvas to a degree, offering prior knowledge to many when using this platform.

Cons: I haven't found this software as easy for end-users to use as others in learning management. I have had students complain about not being able to find courses, old courses staying within their menus when completed, etc., and just not knowing how to start. With this software, I have had to provide more training to students and teams as where to find materials and how to manage it than with others.

• Reviewed on 2019/12/11
Geralyne L.
Science Department Chair
  • Reviewed on 2015/03/18

"Good first LMS experience"

Pros: I like the ability to post supplemental instruction material for the students.

Cons: There's conflicting information regarding mail quota on the Home page vs individual course pages.