Filter by:

• Overall

About Vend

Web-based retail point-of-sale and inventory management software built for iOS. Starts at $99/month.

Learn more about Vend

Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/05/22

"The most atrocious app support I have ever faced"

Comments: Bad.

Pros: Vend has one of the most easy to use cloud point of sale that I have tried and tested over the years. As a business owner, Vend has been useful for my day to day work.

Cons: The customer support team is atrocious. I have been trying to speak to someone from the Vend support team since 24th April due to some billing issues that could have been easily resolved in 1 or 2 days. Up until now, the issue is not solved and no one has responded to me on this issue. Speaking to the live chat guy and he kept me waiting for over 3 hours with no reply when he told me that he will be transferring me over to the billing time for assistance. Emails went unanswered and the support team even closed the ticket without giving me a reply or resolution to the problem. I'm not so sure that Vend is a system that caters to the small and medium business owners because we business owners and managers, we don't have all the time in the world to be waiting for your reply and chasing you for answers. I will definitely not recommend that anyone takes up this system unless you think you are ready to work with a support team that does not attend to you when help is needed.

• Reviewed on 2021/05/22
Shanna B.
CFO
  • Reviewed on 2020/08/26

"What a P. O. S.!"

Comments: Horrible, we have had nothing but trouble. Yes it's better for us in some ways than our prior POS, but at such a great cost of effort that we would never recommend it to anyone and constantly are on the look out for a better POS! We are implementing scanners to help fix inventory issues, as it is though I do not trust their inventory correction system and we use spreadsheets and the purchasing/returning system instead of the inventory count system. Often if the product is the same price I will use a sale entry to swap the two, but we have noticed items we knowingly sold (with sku'd tags) that still show up as on hand, so I'm not sure there isn't more wrong with this system. In other words, it can't all be from 3 people making mistakes in one system when we all discuss and get frustrated by it on a daily basis!

Pros: Ecwid integrates seamlessly with vend. I wish we could use Ecwid as our main POS instead of Vend, but it is only a website shopping cart plugin or tablet app, and we need something that runs on a PC. We don't like Apple products, and wanted a PC interface instead of a tablet, due to our volume of products.

Cons: 1. The cloud sync isn't accurate. Their database will overwrite changes a users makes if your internet isn't "fast" enough AND you have to clear site settings daily or hourly (depends on volume).
2. The reporting and ordering functionality is limited to your Excel skills. Advanced Excel knowledge is a must: Pivot tables, vlookup formulas, concatenate, lots of files to save and track. You cannot do this through the system easily UNLESS you order the same product from the same vendor every time, lucky you!
3.The product export actually can come in handy when the system goes down on Vend's end, because when it goes offline, the only way to find a product in the sell screen is by SKU (so know your SKUS!)
4. This is one of the only POS's that doesn't have both a UPS and SKU field! Duh guys, this is a POS 101 feature!
5. You can't do a mass upload to change products like they say you can. I've tried it multiple times. It has never worked.
6. When you create a product, it creates a "handle" based on the name you created, so don't make any mistakes when you create a product or it will permanently impact the handle of that product.
7. Their search feature is a 3rd party provided feature, which fails to provide any results unless it is an exact match. For example, a product named TFV16 will not populate when you search V16, or vice versa. It's an exact match (word order, spelling, exact!)
8. My staff can't use the program, our inventory is a mess due to difficult contrast, laging!

• Reviewed on 2020/08/26
Leah K.
Inventory Manager

"Tremendous POS"

Comments: 1. Easy, simple online storefront integration. This has increased our sales and has allowed us to make sales to a wider customer base.
2. Inventory movement transparency. Our former software solution was impossible to use in any way that allowed us to view historic inventory movements, as it didn't include any type of purchase order system; inventory had to be updated item by item manually.
3. Inventory valuation. The ability of Vend to average out our costs means that we have a real-time view of the value of our stock at any and all times.

Pros: The software is easy to use and incredibly user friendly, and is consistently being updated with new features and improvements to old ones. It offers a full-scope inventory management experience. It makes it easy for us to take our shop on the go, as we sell at numerous trade shows and conventions.

Cons: There are still some features missing, or which I would term incomplete, but as Vend is relatively new and the team is constantly working on releasing updates, I have every confidence that these are cases where it is just a matter of time. It is somewhat frustrating at times that there are some issues where internet connectivity issues can cause hiccups in the system that then need to be fixed on the back end by support, but these are few and far between.

by Vend on 2018/06/18

Hey Leah, thanks for taking the time to review Vend POS! It's wonderful to hear that you're so delighted with the software. Thank you for also appreciating that our team are working on making Vend even better and creating terrific new features to make running a retail business easy. If you have any specific features you would like to request or feedback for our team please submit a ticket using the follow link https://support.vendhq.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=1375. Thanks again! Best, Lucia (Vend's Community Manager)

Jennifer B.
Owner/art instructor
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/13

"Vend is user-friendly and has been and easy transition for myself and my employees."

Pros: I LOVE the fact that I can see a photo of the product, since my DIY store is very visually based. I like that it is so easy to add or delete users. This helps when I have staff change and I have to take off employees to add new ones.
I am a very organized person, so the folders really help, along with the color coding of each folder as well.

Cons: I would really like to have more features for the Admin position. I would like to be able to customize the features for what an Admin position would be. I want my manager to be able to add products and be able to do inventory. Also it would be really nice to be able to void out a transaction that has been closed if a mistake was done, but it seems like I have to refund the items first. Sometimes, customers just decide they don't want to do a project after we have done the transaction. It's rare, but it happens.

by Vend on 2018/06/14

Hey Jennifer, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! Great to hear that you're loving so many of Vend's features. In terms of customising Amin roles and permissions, you can do this with Vend's Advanced User Permissions which is available on some of our plans. Good news regarding voiding sales ¿ this is really easy to do in the Sales Ledger. Go to https://support.vendhq.com/hc/en-us/articles/227008567-Using-the-Vend-Sales-Ledger and choose 'Voiding Sales' at the top to find out how. If you need any further assistance or have any questions please don't hesitate to reach out to our friendly support team. We're here to help! Best, Lucia (Vend's Community Manager)

• Reviewed on 2018/06/13
Jeff G.
Controller
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/05

"Overall a very good, user friendly product."

Comments: A POS that integrates well with our accounting system.

Pros: It integrates well with Xero our accounting software. It is very user friendly and easy to learn how to use.

Cons: The stock order process is very time consuming and cumbersome. I would like to be able to adjust the date on stock orders, so that it can be matched to the invoice/payment date in the event that the stock order is not received in VEND until after the invoice/payment date. Also it allows you to receive items that have been marked as inactive, it should pop up to make them as active again.
When scanning product through, unless you are watching the screen, you can't tell when a product scans up with an error/bar code not in the system etc, the beep tone needs to be different.
I wish it was integrated with Moneris merchant services.
It would also be nice to be able to have more control over what users have access to more individually.

Nathan C.
  • Reviewed on 2016/01/07

"Vend is the Bomb !"

Pros: Once Vend is set up is very user friendly and reliable. Like all software you need to align your procedures to it's design and functionality but we continue to include more functions and features into our business. Some years ago, we had some coding and API work done to link it with a popular email marketing system but now there are standard apps and integrations to use which is great. Training staff is easy and support is intuitive and quick. I have seen bugs get fixed and addressed over the last few years which has made it even more robust.

Cons: The loyalty feature is very sound but it would be awesome to have email marketing capability within Vend. At the moment it has the ability to send notifications and receipts to customers but you need to link to an email marketing program to develop customer relationships

• Reviewed on 2016/01/07
Baldwin C.
  • Reviewed on 2018/09/16

"A great POS for starters and less tech savvy customers"

Comments: This POS system seems more like a stepping stone. It gets you through the door to start your business but once you grow out of the beginning step you will quickly find the system isn't reliable, lots of crucial functions are missing and worst their customer service is almost useless. Most of the time we file for a support ticket the customer service replies with typical troubleshoot issues that we clearly stated we've done before and waste our time and when it gets to an actual technician they don't know how to fix it. I highly suggest for someone starting to use it to get a feel of what system they will need for their future but not something you will stick with for a long time.

Pros: Easy to use, has lots of functions that other software doesn't come with out of the box. A great start to get your business going. It looks clean and the UI is the nicest looking one so far we've seen. They have a free front display app for a second ipad so you can have a customer facing screen.

Cons: Lacking crucial functions to actually run a business. No real reporting, often system goes down. The system lacks any mass editing features unless you export the database into csv and re import it. Not efficient if you need to adjust tags in large batches because the exported CSV file, all the tags are in a single cell. The system lacks stability, we have been using this system for more than a year and it's been going down on crucial moments. Right now the system is slow to sync to Vend server causing sales screen and transaction not to be processed. This has costed us many sales specially at crucial times. Their customer service is great, nice and friendly but virtually useless. Not once has any of our issues been resolved. It was either an issue that resolved itself over time I guess they fixed it on their back end or we have learned to just live with it. You have to pay for individual cashiers. So if we were to want to do an event and have an additional cashier it would cost a lot more than what it's worth to have an additional cashier. Reporting is very basic. If you need numbers that for example compare data points of last week's sales vs this weeks sales by day vs by hour to know which day of the week is your strong day and which hour of the day is your peak you can't do it. Unless you do everyone stat as an individual data pull then you can get the stats but there is no clean visual display to arrange the data neatly so more work is to be done. Very simple reporting such as what do we have in our inventory of type A vs Type B to know what we're lacking in inventory is a many step process to pull which results in more work.

• Reviewed on 2018/09/16
Amanda H.
  • Reviewed on 2014/11/13

"Ease of use that doesn't compromise performance and functionality."

Pros: Vend allows us to keep everything in one place, from the customer base to the inventory. Vend is compatible with Mac, iPad, PC and Android which is what drew us to it in the first place. Everything is backed up on the cloud, making the information available on virtually any device, anywhere. (No worries, the iPad app will work offline too, so you can still process sales where there is no internet access!) There are aspects that we haven't even tried out yet, such as variants that allow you to define different sizes and colors of products, a customer loyalty program, the option to sync with Quick Books, the ability to connect Vend with a retail website, the use of a bar code system and the option to connect to PayPal. There is no contract if you don't want one. You can choose to pay monthly or for a year at a time.

Cons: Vend doesn't have a report option that shows all the sales that have been exempt from sales tax (i.e. farm or resale), making it difficult to single those sales out. However, they are currently working on expanding their report system to include customized reporting.

• Reviewed on 2014/11/13
Owner/President
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/12

"Very streamlined for online and retail needs"

Comments: Online and offline and retail POS all integrated in one program.

Pros: It integrates the online and retail inventory at the same time. Like the basic website template and all that you can do to make it look like a real website with other information besides a shopping cart!

Cons: Does not support coupon codes! Thought about leaving Vend POS several times because of this problem.

by Vend on 2018/06/14

Hey there, thanks for taking the time to review Vend POS! Apologies that we don't currently have a feature to generate coupon or promo codes. This is a highly requested feature we're aware retailers would love to see on Vend. If this feature is added to Vend, we'll be sure to send out an update. Thank you for your feedback. Best, Lucia (Vend's Community Manager)

• Reviewed on 2018/06/12
Olivia R.
Administrative Assistant
Wholesale, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/01/11

"A Small to Medium Retailer Friend"

Comments: Vend is fast, effective and efficient.

Pros: 1. If you have a company that is very busy and its hard to keep track of your stock levels then this pos is a system you need.
2. Searching in Vend is fast, it organizes everything and gives you thee option to create different variants of items which produces results in timely manner; reducing customers wait time.
3. To every business safety is very important and Vend uses the Cloud which is safe, can be used offsite, and allows 24 hour access to all reports every day of the week.
4. It is pretty easy to use, very straight forward like similar sites that I have used and your staff members will be relieved of how user-friendly this is.
5. Stock orders no longer have to be a headache. You can add your suppliers information and when stock is low Vend automatically creates a purchase order and send them off. Now who wouldn't want such a handy feature?

Cons: 1. When inputting the float and an error was made i found it challenging to change that information.
2. The company I work for also uses Quickbooks and being that these two companies are integrated we were delighted only to find out it can only be combined for US residents only.
3. Its a quite pricey especially for start up companies.

• Reviewed on 2019/01/11
Administration, Production and Inventory Manager
Farming, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/12/12

"Vend POS"

Comments: From customer service stand point, they are an amazing company, they will try to accommodate and go above and beyond to help you.

Pros: The system is very easy to learn, the report capability is what we like the most, having the ability to run report to analyze the sales and patterns, is very helpful in planning , buying inventory, since it is capable to also hold inventory, to send emails to alert when inventory is low, is amazing, we love the system for our small store.

Cons: Not much, we had some issues in the beginning with credit card connectivity, but not for any of the system fault, it was the way our store is set up with our internet, once all that got squared away, the system worked perfect.

• Reviewed on 2018/12/12
Stacy W.
Stacy W.
Webmaster
  • Reviewed on 2017/01/05

"Customer Support is Amazing!"

Comments: I love the functionality of VEND. I like how you can categorize products as well as search for them. They continue to improve their software offerings to accommodate the needs of the retailer. Whenever an issue came up, they were immediate to respond and resolve the problem. Their training team is amazing! No surprise hidden expenses!

Pros: Great product for running a retail store! The product works very well and set up is quite easy.

Cons: Depending on merchant account, the software doesn't always allow refunds to be performed at the till (iPad).

• Reviewed on 2017/01/05
Jenni M.
Sales associate
Furniture, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/28

"Easy way to sell your products"

Pros: Vend is a great way to sell products of any kind. The ipad app is easy to navigate and you can set up quick keys for some of the products.

Cons: It used to kick me off of my account sometimes and make me sign back in. I havent noticed it doing that in a while though.

by Lucia on 2018/07/20

Hey Jenni, thanks for your review of Vend POS − happy to hear you're finding it so easy! Sorry to hear you were having a login issue, if that pops up again please don't hesitate to let us know. We're here to help! Best, Lucia (Vend's Community Manager)

• Reviewed on 2018/06/28
Bradley W.
Executive VP
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/05

"Great POS option that is easy to use"

Comments: POS inventory cost tracking

Pros: Everything is cloud based, so access from anywhere
Very easy to use to enter products and ring up sales
Connects with most major products like Shopify

Cons: Product purchase order features are very minimal and not easy to utilize
Product receiving has minor kinks like having not column with Item numbers etc.
Hardware options are limited.

Chris E.
Restaurants, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/06/09

"Vend user"

Pros: Great for our chain of coffee lounges. Easy to use and enjoy the customer loyalty. Inventory is easy to use.

Cons: American pricing. No benefit of having 2 shops...only becomes discounted after 2nd. Also would like to see more integration with canadian banking terminals.

• Reviewed on 2017/06/09
Brianne S.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2017/12/21

"Pricey product and poor inventory management."

Comments: Knowing what I did need in retail
Software.

Pros: It has all the bells and whistles when it comes to setting up your retail store. It allows more than one register and many users.

Cons: The inventory management was terrible. I had one brick and mortar and an online store and the inventory was constantly off. Also you have to pay extra for customer support if you need to call and solve a problem immediately (register not working during business hours etc.)

by Vend on 2018/01/23

Hi Brianne,

Sorry to hear you've had a negative experience with Vend - not what we like to hear at all!

If you were using Vend Ecommerce or an ecommerce integration built by Vend (like Shopify) our experienced team are here to help 24/7 with inventory management.

If you were using a third party ecommerce integration that wasn't built by Vend, we recommend retailers get in touch with that third party for help with technical issues like you described.

With over 20,000 Vend users, we don't have the infrastructure to allow stores to call us anytime right now. Not all retailers require phone calls, which is why we provide the option as an additional service. If you need a call just let our team know and we'll get back to you as soon as we can - paid phone support is just prioritised.

Apologies for any frustration caused - we want all our retailers to have the best possible experience with Vend.

Kind regards,

Lucia
Vend's Global Community Manager

• Reviewed on 2017/12/21
Ray L.
Sporting Goods
  • Reviewed on 2015/09/28

"Very Elegant and Friendly Platform"

Pros: Most of all, technical support. Launching Vend also called for back room inventory integration to four e-commerce platforms with over 5,000 products. The project required a lot of planning and support. Fortunately Vend is recognized as an up and coming company and our integration partners were 'user friendly' with the Vend platform, to various degrees. The Vend technical team was always there. Quick and accurate information.
Then the product itself. I was hesitant as to the response from our employees with such a drastic change (from Quickbooks POS), but we were ringing test sales within minutes. The iPad POS and the mini-iPad customer display just looks awesome and complements our store's image.

Cons: A few features found in more mature systems are not there. With the introduction of gift cards before the Holidays, this big one will be off the list. The built in Reward system should allow for a loyalty card to be issued to the customer. Finally, being able to associate customer groups with special discounts. (ie VIP get 10% off every day) would complete my wish list.

• Reviewed on 2015/09/28
Anne-marie L.
Owner & Manager
Apparel & Fashion, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2016/11/30

"VEND"

Comments: I'm so glad I decided to invest in VEND as my POS operation from the get-go. As a start up business, it was very tempting to operate my little clothing boutique the old fashioned way - manually.
But using VEND from start-up phase of my business has enabled me to steadily grow the business with absolute ease. I now sell online and I have been able to creatively incorporate new product lines into the store.
The functionality of VEND is perfect for me now as a smaller operation and seeing that VEND will also be perfect for as I continue to grow, has actually encouraged me to expand the business far quicker than I might have done, if I'd been a manually run shop.

Pros: Everything from entering stock, selling stock and tracking stock is just so easy.

Cons: I would love to see more stylish webstore templates. I would be using VEND now as my webstore too, if the choice of templates on offer when I was setting up my website had been more stylish.

• Reviewed on 2016/11/30
Barry H.
  • Reviewed on 2015/09/29

"Easy and very effective for our needs. Try it, you will like it!"

Pros: It's a great alternative to expensive systems. Flexible, adaptable and it's easy to use, and we get great feedback from reports. I am pleased enough with Vend to have recommended it several times, to other people who trade the same products as us for evaluation. Make the most of the free trial, to see if it works for you and your business.

Cons: I have found that the best way to get help, advice & guidance is via chat facility rather then email requests which take a too long to get an answer.
We have a small inventory and to set it it up took longer than expected, however this was our first system, so cannot compare it with others. I guess any set up would take time!

• Reviewed on 2015/09/29
Brent M.
Operations Manager
Food & Beverages, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/28

"Perfect for an uncomplicated retail business"

Comments: Vend helped us get our business off the ground when our budget was very limited. Setup and operation was a breeze, and if there was a bit more functionality for bar operations, we would have stuck with it. We ended up having to reluctantly switch to a different, far more expensive software in the end, but Vend was great for most aspects of our business.

Pros: The user-friendliness and intuitiveness of Vend was great for us in our start-up phase at our brewery. We operated a retail store and taproom/bar using Vend for about six months.

Cons: Ultimately, there was a lack of complexity in the software for running a bar/taproom in terms of being able to use tabs. There is a 'tab' / layaway function we used as a workaround but it is not meant for this purpose.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/28
Mike D.
Web Manager
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/11

"Features are overstated"

Pros: Ease of use in-store, could train new employees or temporary help for big sales in a matter of minutes how to operate the register

Cons: The link-ability with e-commerce such as Shopify is not nearly as seamless as it is made out to be, lots of broken links

by Vend on 2018/06/14

Hey Mike, thanks for your review of Vend POS. Happy to hear that you found Vend easy to use and train staff members on! Sorry to hear that you experienced some technical difficulties with your Shopify + Vend integration, if you have any exisiting issues with this we'd love to help you out. If you need any further assistance or have any questions please submit a ticket with our friendly support team here using this link https://support.vendhq.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=1375. Best, Lucia (Vend's Community Manager)

• Reviewed on 2018/06/11
Michelle C.
Michelle C.
Owner/Founder Healing Hollow
  • Reviewed on 2018/09/06

"A great Change"

Comments: We now have stats of everything. Inventory is awesome and easy to enter. Keeping track of things is easy. Staff use this system without any issue.

Pros: The intuitiveness of it makes it easy to train staff to use. Adding products and tracking is amazing. As a POS it knows exactly what retailers would need.

Cons: Can’t change a payment method if you hit the wrong one causing issues at end of day. Has messed up inventory/costs 2-3 x and we lost our work.

by Vend on 2018/09/10

Hey Michelle, thanks for your review of Vend POS! Great to hear that you're finding Vend so easy to use and train your staff. Sorry to hear that hitting the wrong payment method caused some issues ¿ if you'd like to give us more details on what happened so we can look into that please open a ticket with our friendly support team. Best, Lucia (Vend's Community Manager)

• Reviewed on 2018/09/06
John J.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/06

"Easy to use POS for my plant nursery. Been using Vend for 2 years."

Pros: Easy to update and track inventory using spreadsheet import/export. Quick keys for the iPad app are a nice feature.

Cons: No complaints. It does everything I need in a POS solution. Can't think of any features I'd need that it doesn't have.

by Vend on 2018/06/18

Hey John, appreciate your terrific review of Vend POS! It's great to hear that you're so pleased with our point of sale software. If you do ever have an issue or want to submit a feature request, please reach out to our 24/7 support team. Hope you have a wonderful day! Best, Lucia (Vend's Community Manager)

Haitham S.
MD
Sporting Goods, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/07/10

"POS"

Pros: Eady to use if you're only operating a retail store and need a POS system and have an accounting system that can be integrated

Cons: Cant handle complex inventory costing so all the costing per SKU must be outside vend. It would be be great to have a better costing system

• Reviewed on 2018/07/10
Larry K.
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/21

"We grew up with this software because it forced us to follow their business methods. This has helped us on our change over to Light speed retail"

Comments: If Vend had training that worked, it might help. The register part of the program worked well to produce tickets. Vend would send an email to ask us what could be done to improve. I replied with a large list of problems twice but did not get a phone call to ask what they could do to help.

Pros: Vend has the ability to do almost anything, it just is not intitutive in many ways. Vends inventory entry method worked well. They gave a discount for paying ahead.

Cons: Their Layby program(Lay a way)it just was not good. We asked for help and did not get it. Also it would lose sales tickets from time to time. Also the drawer check out did not give all the info you would expect. There were many ways to make things happen and that would confuse people as to how to do something. I think it is good software but just did not fit us as we were at odds with it many days. We never did get it to interface with Quick Books online.

by Lucia on 2018/07/20

Hey Larry, very sorry to hear that you weren't happy with Vend point of sale software or your experience with our team. Most retailers find Vend very intuitive and easy to learn so it's disappointing to hear you don't feel that way. If you have any specific feedback that you'd like me to pass on to our team you can reach me via email on [email protected] We wish you the all the best for your business. Best, Lucia (Vend's Community Manager).

• Reviewed on 2018/06/21