FreeAgent Reviews

by FreeAgent Central

• Overall
    4,4 /5
    4,3 /5
    4,4 /5

About FreeAgent

FreeAgent has been voted the UK's #1 accounting software for small businesses owners!

(Accounting Excellence Awards 2018)

Learn more about FreeAgent

Accountant
Accounting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/11

"Painful to use, Clunky and not great"

Comments: Using the software was very awkward and restrictive. I lost confidence in it very early on.
My experience has been years of utter frustration.
Regular promises of fixes and upgrades never materialised over the last 3 years and despite sticking with it, and getting the software for free, I ended up having to opt for better software.
Customer services are quick to respond but they tend to misinterpret your issue. Their idea of helping is sending you a link to a long drawn out document that frustrates you even more than the original issue. Most of the issues can't be resolved by sympathetic customer support reps because they are hard-coded into the software as basic incapabilities.

Pros: It's a Scottish company, albeit taken over by an anti-Scottish UK bank.
Customer services are relatively quick to respond but don't often understand or resolve your issue.
They do send you a Monday motivator which is useful.
It's now free if you bank with RBS/Nat West, but I'd rather not bank with either and even at £0 it's not worth it. I'd rather pay for a decent software and save the cost of hours of inefficiency and extra accountancy fees later.

Cons: It is very clunky and awkward to use. It is very expensive for what it is and definitely not even worth using for free. Several essential basic functions are missing and it is very restrictive/prescriptive forcing you to work their way or not at all. Customer services regularly have to fudge "workarounds" to fill the gaps in FreeAgent's basic functionality and often these "workarounds" make more mess than doing nothing, leaving you with more to pay your accountant to fix it. FreeAgent does several things in very unusual ways and then doesn't allow you to fix them.
Payroll does post journals into your ledgers but even the best accountants can't make any sense of them.
This software tries to be all things to small businesses giving tools that quite frankly are dangerous to unqualified accountants. It allows you to do your own VAT, Corporation Tax and Self Assessment wrongly, without any tax planning advice which could cost you tens of thousands of pounds in VAT/tax that isn't due, not to mention HMRC penalties etc. I know of several clients who have overpaid an absolute fortune and had seriously damaging run-ins with HMRC as a direct result of trying to DIY using this software. Buyer BEWARE!!!

by FreeAgent Central on 2019/03/18

Hi there,

We¿re really sorry to hear about your experience and appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and frustrations. If there's anything we can do to help improve your experience, or any additional feedback you'd like to share with us, please contact us at @[email protected]

Warm regards,

• Reviewed on 2019/03/11
Stephen H.
Senior Associate
Public Relations & Communications, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/02/08

"Good product, good UI, good customer support, a bit pricey but worth it for my business."

Pros: FreeAgent is a fully-featured accounting and invoicing web app that comes with a great little mobile app too. It has a really clear and easy-to-use interface, making it easy to navigate and produce invoices, check your accounts for selected periods, track your time, manage projects... the list goes on. But for all the functionality, it never feels cluttered. I've experienced great support whenever I've asked for it and it hasn't ever produced any unexpected errors or bugs. It just works.

Cons: I wanted to recommend this product to my wife for her business but it's just a little bit too expensive for a startup small sole trader company like hers. A reduced cost account type for single users would be great.

Mandie L.
Hospital & Health Care
  • Reviewed on 2015/08/31

"Perfect Companion for Accounting"

Comments: I was introduced to Freeagent by my accountant, Balance Accountants. My business needs are met very easily with Freeagent, I have a small company which is Residential Care and Home Care business. The cloud base system allows my accountant to access my work and I'm able to have meetings with bank managers etc without having to lug lots of paperwork about, everything is at my fingertips. Also im based in the South and my business and accountant are in the North, so logistically it works very well for me. The system I have found very easy to use and if I have ever got stuck, my accountant can sign in and talk me through it. Once you get yourself set up and familiarised, you won't believe how much simpler accounting gets. I use for all bookkeeping and invoicing. I would use it for payroll but hey....my payroll lady would be out of a job! But I reckon she uses it as she's always smiling never stressed.

Pros: Live bank feeds, easy to use, perfect for invoicing, accounting for small businesses, keeping the accountant and bank manager happy with the efficiency! It does everything (for me and my business needs) apart from making me coffee :-) Always a pleasure using freeagent, it's really fun to use!

Cons: Ive been using it for nearly two years....
Can't fault it!
Not sure if I could add a further business to the platform, for example: using same login details but be able to switch between businesses?? That would be really good.

• Reviewed on 2015/08/31
Victoria C.
Founder and Director of Training
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/08/08

"This software makes my accounts seem a lot less scary"

Comments: I loved how the customer service was a real person, not a bot. They have made me feel comfortable about accountancy.

Pros: For me, the general look of the overview screen makes the experience of looking at my accounts a lot less scary. I also find that the whole thing is easy to use, from reconciling my bank accounts to sending out invoices. Plus they actually sort your taxes out (this might only be in the UK though)!

Cons: I am probably not using as much of the software as I could. (e.g. payroll and time tracking) but I'm just proud that they've convinced me how simple and professional it is to use them for invoicing.

• Reviewed on 2020/08/08
Oscar H.
Proprietor
  • Reviewed on 2015/09/18

"Exceptionally Poor Customer Support"

Comments: I originally found Freeagent around three years ago. I was very excited when I found I could use Freeagent through "My Business Works", a service offered by Barclays, at a reduced rate - except nobody decided to make it clear support is outsourced to "My Business Works" - perhaps the most key feature of freeagent. For around three years I have always been in contact with friendly, kind and lovely staff at Freeagent who have always been happy to provide us with support - I have always avoided "My Business Works Support" as their staff are especially unhelpful, condescending and rude. That was until today. A stubborn, although polite lady refused to give us support despite my explanation of the poor support "My Business Works" offers. Quite simply her unkind, unfriendly action has lost a customer, we are moving to a far more powerful and equally easy to use software called Xilo, with much better support in January. I used to think Freeagent was an actual service whereby one might not be bound to the selfish red-rape rules of the world, and was instead a friendly platform with every customer's interest at heart. I would recommend all to consider Xilo over Freeagent. That is of course unless you want a kick in the teeth for being a long-term loyal customer!

by FreeAgent UK online accounting software on 2015/09/25

Hello Oscar,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback.

My name is Kevin McCallum and I am Business Development Director at FreeAgent and directly responsible for managing our relationship with MyBusinessWorks.

I'm really sorry that you've not had a good experience with MyBusinessWorks support and I wanted to let you know that we take these kind of issues very seriously and I am currently discussing this matter with MyBusinessWorks.

As you know from your previous discussions with our support team, we do take all our customer support obligations very seriously and pride ourselves on the support we provide to our customers. It is worth pointing out that MBW provide support on a number of the products you have access to through their package, whereas at FreeAgent we focus solely on our own software.

The only way to receive full unlimited support from our support team would be if you were a direct subscriber to FreeAgent. As we’ve said previously, if you wanted to transfer your account over to become a direct subscriber then we would be more than happy to help you do this. If you'd like to do this please email me on [email protected] and I can arrange it for you

To reiterate, I'm sorry that you are not happy with the support you have received from MBW but I am now dealing with this personally.

Kind regards,

Kevin

• Reviewed on 2015/09/18
Stella A.
Operations Manager
Human Resources, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/10/23

"As an event planner, it makes me happy to use FreeAgent because of easy access."

Comments: Estimates and proposals
Invoice templates
Simple payroll and automatic back feeds
Tax timelines (you'll never miss a deadline again!)
Self-assessment tax return filing
Unlimited users and transactions
Support accountants are available to answer any questions
First 30 days are free, I was excited about this and I was very happy about this.

Pros: Cheap depending on your business needs or the size of the business.
Famous for its incredible invoice templates
Shows your real-time profit position and it automatically updates your accounts.
Cloud-based, so there is no software to download or install
The interface is very friendly and lovely.

Cons: Online help, known as My Business Works Support has been known to be rather unhelpful and excessively rude
Tends to receive bugs or glitches that often take time to repair, if fixable at all
Even though this program offers Multiple Currency options, the proper support for this feature is seriously lacking
Not very quick with software updates (some have been waiting years for new and desired features)

• Reviewed on 2017/10/23
Lifestyle and Advertising Photographer (specialising in Kids)
Photography, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2018/10/10

"The only accounting software I would use"

Comments: I use Freeagent to run my entire business- to invoice and to monitor missing payments, to file both my tax and vat returns, its an incredible tool for my business

Pros: Great customer support- all from trained accountants in the UK that are able to walk you through any problems you might encounter when doing you tax and vat returns

Cons: None- inpeciable and consistent service at all times.

by FreeAgent Central on 2018/11/23

Hi there,

Thank you for the kind words and your positive review, we really appreciate it!

• Reviewed on 2018/10/10
Greg J.
Business Owner
Business Supplies & Equipment, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2018/09/25

"Great for Freelancers"

Pros: FreeAgents offers a lot of features for a very low price and the customer service is good also. I have used them for 3 years and there are other programs that may be a little better, but they are also a lot more expensive.

Cons: I wish that recurring billing was a little easier and the number of integrations is good, but it does not integrate with one of my core programs which is a bummer.

• Reviewed on 2018/09/25
  • Reviewed on 2018/02/08

"Takes the pain out of keeping accounts"

Pros: Pros: ability to photograph receipts and store them within expenses
All the main categories of expenses are there
Links to your business bank account

Cons: Con: One major drawback is that you can't print out a consolidated tax return before or after filing. For sole traders a tax return is often the only way to prove income when applying for loans, etc, and HMRC doesn't offer this service either.

John C.
Business Owner
Internet, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/27

"Allows me to manage the business effectively"

Comments: FreeAgent allows me to see at a glance what we are owed, who the biggest culprits are and to automatically send out overdue reminders. So much easier than chasing on the phone.

Pros: FreeAgent has enabled me to free up so much of my time because i can schedule and manage invoices individually or on repeat. Also helps when preparing tax and vat returns.

Cons: The function to connect credit card accounts does not always work that well but i think we have cracked it.

by FreeAgent Central on 2019/01/18

Hi John,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, we really appreciate it! If you experience any additional issues with connecting your account, please let us know at [email protected] as our support team is always happy to help.

• Reviewed on 2018/11/27
David K.
Software Quality Assurance Tester
Computer Software, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2018/01/17

"Simple, may to use and already used by out acceptant"

Pros: Simple, lightweight and just does exactly what you require from a accounting tool. Interface is easy to navigate and there is a very low learning curve. I would recommend this tool to small businesses / freelancers.

Cons: Doesn't integrate with newer online style bank accounts for automated feeds at all. (e.g. transfer wise bank accounts) . Sometimes doesn't recognise recurring bank transactions meaning it takes longer to explain

• Reviewed on 2018/01/17

"Excellent Product"

Pros: It's easy to use, when I've needed to contact customer support they have responded promptly. I have no problem whatsoever recommending this to anyone, in fact I have and we've started using it for our not for profit user group. I can't go back to not using it.

Talon R.
S
2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/02/09

"Easily Navigated Platform"

Comments: Customer service and helpfulness of reps is amazing.

Pros: Primarily, the best part about this product is Ease of use. Very straight forward and simplistic to learn.

Cons: This product has 2 drawbacks:
Doesn't text customers
Email campaign tracking features are very limited

by FreeAgent Central on 2019/06/13

Hi Talon,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreeAgent, we really appreciate it! We've also passed your product feedback along to our Product Team.

• Reviewed on 2019/02/09
Tristan B.
Owner and Head of Development
  • Reviewed on 2014/11/19

"Great service"

Comments: When moving to freelancing this was the first product I was recommended and using it has been great. Its nice and clean and I havent had any issues with getting clients to pay with it past the normal hurry alongs.
They have been very quick and clear to answer my accounting questions too.

Pros: It keeps everything paired down and simple and easy to find. Also feel I have learned more about how to file my taxes with the built in pages and submission.
Loading data form my bank account and tagging it saves time too.

Cons: I would like to be able to search my bank account entries to check all is tagged up.

• Reviewed on 2014/11/19
Mayur T.
Infrastructure Engineer
Information Technology & Services, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/08/13

"Could the role of a bookkeeper and an accountant in a better way."

Pros: The API extension is very useful. Through this application, the job of payment and expenses are easier. Since Payroll is available, it is possible to handle all types of invoices. The android application is also very good in its functionality. They give a crisp background on every transaction that is being processed. Also, this application could prove to be more useful to small business groups.

Cons: It is a very expensive software compared to other similar software. The customer support team does not cooperate well with the users. They tend to complicate the troubles of the users. Also, they do not work 24/7.

• Reviewed on 2018/08/13
Martin A.
  • Reviewed on 2018/02/09

"Business usage"

Pros: I like the simplicity, direct tax sending features and time tracking. App solution for mobile is also very good

Cons: I would like to have my projecta overview on mobile. I dont get why should I write at least one hundred characters here....

• Reviewed on 2018/02/09
Scott J.
Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2015/01/19

"A Fun to Use Accounting App"

Comments: Sounds like an Oxymoron doesn't it, Accounts & Fun.
FreeAgent is just that, fun to use, easy to understand and fast.
It has everything you need, links to your bank, multi-currency, great invoicing templates I could go on & on, but it's best feature is the top notch world beating support, they understand business, and are quick and willing to help.
Highly Recommend.

Pros: It's Fun to Use.
It's easy to Use.
Great dashboard gives up to date snapshot of the business

Cons: Definitely not a Con. :-)

by FreeAgent UK online accounting software on 2015/06/29

Thanks, that's very kind of you!

• Reviewed on 2015/01/19
Timothy C.
Senior Software Engineer
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/02/19
  • Reviewed on 2018/02/19
Tim B.
  • Reviewed on 2016/12/05

"Not bad, but not great!"

Comments: The software is well organized and basically fits our needs, but could use improvements in many key areas. One being reporting and employees - former employees remain listed for reports even though they are not needed. It would be far easier to just list active employees to make creating reports easier. Add to that that there is no way to create custom reports that you use regularly. All and all the software works well, it just needs some enhancements to these areas to make it easier to use.

• Reviewed on 2016/12/05
Alg000
  • Reviewed on 2013/04/03

"lacks multi-currency support"

Comments: FreeAgent lacks proper support multiple currency. Around a year ago, they said they were adding it. A year later, it's still not there! If you need this feature, its absence is a real killer. Xero seems to have it.

Pros: Interface is pretty good.

Cons: They say they are "working on" this crucial feature but a year later, nothing.

by FreeAgent UK online accounting software on 2014/11/19

Hi there. FreeAgent has multi-currency, multi-language invoicing and as of early 2014 allows you to record bank accounts in a foreign currency also.

• Reviewed on 2013/04/03
  • Reviewed on 2018/02/12

"Great"

Comments: My accounting needs are quite basic and I haven't used Free Agent for long enough to have found cons yet.

Pros: The visibility it provides me on my business. Easy to use, the link with the bank account makes things very straightforward.

• Reviewed on 2018/02/12
Ian P.
Owner & Licensed Professional Counselor
Civic & Social Organization, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2018/01/20

"Okay but not great"

Pros: Does what it's supposed to. Lots of functionality with more control than quickbooks. Reports are nice.

Cons: Bank transactions never automatically imported. Created random transactions based on categorization of others. Overall, each of its functions seem to function better independently than they integrate.

• Reviewed on 2018/01/20