Paychex Flex Reviews

Filter by:

• Overall

About Paychex Flex

Manage payroll, online or in-house, and save money on time tracking, reports, and processing payroll.

Learn more about Paychex Flex

Showing 1 070 reviews

Steven r W.
Steven r W.
Director of Business Engagement
Accounting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/06/08

"Calm in a sea of changing regulations"

Comments: We had considered hosting our own payroll, however, with the craziness of COVID and regulations we are very happy we chose a partner provided and supported solution. Saves us time chasing new regulations and forms and the dreaded amendments.

Pros: The customer service makes the product easy to use. The support makes the product as with many payroll software products it will do what you want you just have to find the right entry and set up.

Cons: At times its so complete it can be overwhelming to find some less used features you had found before. Again they are all like this but the customer support makes this a breeze as you can actually talk to a human being that listens and helps.

• Reviewed on 2021/06/08
Emmanuel V.
Senior Grant Accountant
Accounting, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/05

"Good product overall"

Comments: It's a good product for a small to medium size company. Again, my review is from a user standpoint, not an administrator. I really have no negative remarks for Paychex Flex.

Pros: Recording time is relatively easy.
W2s and paysubs are easily obtainable
Easy to navigate

Cons: From a user standpoint, nothing really.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/05
Justine C.
HR Manager
Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/21

"Payroll"

Comments: Payroll, Admin for Employees keeping records.

Pros: The system was friendly to use and easier to do payroll when you were ready.
There wasn't constant updates every day and you were assigned a representative to assist you with any issues.

Cons: Sometimes you run into an issues and your representative is out of the office you may get someone else who is not aware of the issue.

• Reviewed on 2020/01/21
Kenneth I.
Controller
Mining & Metals, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/05/25

"Paychex Flex review"

Comments: Excellent experience deliver on their product have to be careful they raise prices after initial period check on them frequently

Pros: Payroll features and time management tools are easy to use and simple to implement. There is always a payroll specialist available when needed

Cons: Reports are sometimes difficult to generate to many options can be confusing to find exactly what you need without a payroll specialist

• Reviewed on 2021/05/25
Eric S.
HR Manager
Financial Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/17

"Everything we need and more"

Comments: Paychex Flex has cut the time we spend processing payroll requests in half, if not more. Giving employees the ability to make most changes on their own allows our Payroll Admin to focus on other parts of the business that require more attention.

Pros: I love that I can get new employees set up as users during their onboarding, then this becomes their one-stop-shop for all things payroll. They can access this site to get their pay stubs, make changes to their direct deposit, enroll/change health benefits, and even make adjustments to their 401k plans.

Cons: The only real con I have found with this system is that employees can not make changes to their mailing addresses themselves. They are still required to fill out a form for our Payroll Admin and he has to call Paychex to make the change. This seems like something simple that employees should be able to do themeselves.

• Reviewed on 2019/09/17
Erin S.
Manager of Strategic Partnerships
Philanthropy, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/10/13

"Paychex Flex gives me peace of mind"

Comments: Overall, I have been very pleased with Paychex as a company and their online platform, Paychex Flex.  I have the peace of mind that our payroll is in capable hands.

Pros: It is easy to use and it gives me a peace of mind that our company's payroll is in capable hands. Their customer service is great. Each customer has a dedicated payroll specialist, so every time I have a question I am talking to the same person. Our payroll specialist has always been very helpful any time I have had weird situations or questions. Paychex withholds all the appropriate taxes for both the employee and employer and then files them when the appropriate government entities. Our business is located Ohio, which has a complex tax structure including both state and local taxes. Paychex has saved me so much time and stress.

Cons: I wish that Paychex Flex tracked pay increases. That is the only thing that I liked better about our previous payroll provider. Our previous payroll provider had a tab that showed an employee's salary history and the date of each raise. Paychex Flex does not have this, so I have to track it separately. I wish they had a more intuitive reporting function. The standard payroll reports are laid out very well and are very easy to run, but if I need to run a report that it out of the ordinary, I usually end up calling my payroll specialist because I can't find the report. To be fair, the couple of times this has happened I have been looking for a report having to do with workers comp and since workers comp is run by a government entity in Ohio it has some added complexities.

• Reviewed on 2017/10/13
Devon D.
Architect
Internet, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/28

"PayChex Flex is not that flexible."

Comments: Intuit should concede with their payroll platform and buy paychex, and paychex should enhance their integration and modernize the platform to something more agile like quickbooks. Employees should be able to onboard easier just as if they were buying something on Amazon. All of the 3rd party vendors that seem to be value added services are just more portals and passwords needing to be centralized.

Pros: When it works and the overloaded staff can actually assist you, it is an absolutely awesome service. I have used PayChex since about 2015. Back in the day my first representative was the absolute most amazing advisor and gave me confidence when speaking with her because I could tell she knew her job. Over time as we added more states and switched companies, our SUI numbers became switched, bank accounts and invoicing was not aligned.

Cons: Besides the reports that you are inundated with, the platform feels like it can actually perform, but truthfully it is pitiful java platform. The two factor auth is great but gets on my nerves and the fact that you cannot integrate with other identity providers or into your actual backoffice systems is a shame.

• Reviewed on 2020/05/28
Sarah R.
customer service rep
Information Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/27

"A little Wonky to Navigate"

Pros: It is convenient for small businesses and employees who work from home or don't have one check in location. It has some nice features for checking how many hours have been working if you are actually clocking in and out from the site itself. Once you actually figure things out and have your account set up, it's conveniently all right there in front of you to see what your sick time is, clock in/out, etc.
It keeps all your info from your previous jobs that have used the site PLUS holds your tax info conveniently for you, which is quite handy.

Cons: It's pretty difficult to navigate. A lot of the site doesn't really explain where to go or what to do so you kind of just have to poke around it until you figure things out. I guess it's kind of typical for sites like this. It's also kind of nightmare to get your log in info if you lose it, so just don't. You get locked out after 3 tries and then have to call the help desk and it turns into a pretty complicated ordeal. Conveniently though, the site log in remembers your info though. There is a LOT of maintenance, constantly and when you get messages in your inbox, they never seem to go away, but that's just nit-picky stuff that's not really important.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/27
Traci C.
Practice Manager
Veterinary, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/03

"Great starter product for payroll!"

Comments: I enjoy using Paychex Flex and think this is a starter business-friendly solution for your payroll. We started off using written check and then got thrown into Paychex flex and I was amazed. It is very easy to use for the basics of what you need and Paychex takes care of all the bells and whistles to your payroll in the background. I also that during the covid pandemic all the quick reports you needed for things like a PPP loan and PPP loan forgiveness were all ready to go for you. That was so helpful during this time of craziness!

Pros: Having everything in one space including payroll, HR and reporting is a fantastic concept. It's very easy to enter payroll for your administration and flex is a very self-guided program. I enjoy the fact if I need a report they are all right online and ready to go. Online support is also fantastic and 24/7!

Cons: I wish the HR side of the program was a little less glitchy. I know not all of my staff is included and all of our benefits are through Paychex so that is a disappointment because I feel like I am not getting the full experience with that. I also wish there was a way to chat directly with your payroll specialist from the app. There are things that they can only do and it would be more convenient to have this.

• Reviewed on 2020/12/03
Payroll/ HR Admin
Textiles, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/01/07

"Don't bite off more than you can chew"

Comments: We transferred over from Preview to Flex in March and have had some sort of issue (always a new problem) with running payroll from glitches, to inaccuracies in accruals due to incomplete data transfers to random errors like pay rates suddenly not being mapped to the proper pay components. Overall Paychex has great features and I love that our employees are offered the option to view their stubs and w-2s online and request time off but, I feel like they need to train their employees more on their updates and work out the kinks before they release updates because it causes a lot of unexpected error on the user end which cause a delay and inconvenisnce on our end.

Pros: I like that their Flex software is "live" and you no longer need to transmit hours as a file.

Cons: New features are released with glitches, representatives are NEVER available, it takes a lot of follow-up to get assistance and they pass you from representative to representative like a "hot potato".

• Reviewed on 2019/01/07
Amy G.
CSR
Insurance, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/12

"Times out too fast"

Comments: Overall the decision to use a time tracking system has been a good one. There are a few things that could use improvement within the system such as the timing out when inactive for over 30 minutes and the request for time off options but on the whole I think its a good system.

Pros: I like the fact that the system will keep track of time, and that you can pull reports that show exact times.

Cons: The system times out too quickly, I think its 30 min. which is very inconvenient for employees as the system isn't very quick to get up and running again which means time spent just trying to clock-in or clock-out. I also don't care for the way the system tracks time off, it pulls from your 'bank' before its used so looking at your time off it can appear as though you are in the negative.

• Reviewed on 2019/09/12
Iris W.
File Review Manager
Real Estate, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/03/31

"Online Payroll Made Simple"

Comments: This is an amazing platform you'll be proud to implement and your staff will be forever grateful. This was definitely made with the user in mind. If you are looking for a program to simplify your payroll process look no further.

Pros: I love that I can access the time clock and punch in from my phone! No more clocking in late or lost/unpaid time while you wait for your computer to boot up. Not only can you manage your time card but, you can even check on your 401k and manage your investments. Requesting time off is so simple too.

Cons: Hardly nothing! There are a few features that are only available/visible on the computer version that are not on the mobile version which is a bit of a hassle but, so minute in comparison to the many accessible features.

• Reviewed on 2020/03/31
Sean D.
Sean D.
Controller
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/27

"Pretty good for the price"

Comments: Overall this software definitely provided more capability than our old payroll processor, which is a win for us.

Pros: When we chose to implement this software we were looking for something that had more robust reporting and management of employees. This software definitely checks those boxes.

Cons: I find that sometimes Flex is not very intuitive to navigate, however, I only have to use this every couple weeks so I find it to be okay.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/27
Adam W.
Warehouse Manager
Retail, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/06/14

"Easy for the End User"

Comments: It made the mundane tasks of scheduling / approving time / correcting time / etc only take up half an hour at the end of each week.

Pros: Complete time management in one bundle. As an employee using the software, I could see my schedule / time off / and even access tax documents such as W2s online. As an administrator...setting schedules, correcting time punches, and seeing my workforce on any given day was a breeze.

Cons: The hardware associated with this software (we used biometric time clocks) were a pain to use at best and completely non-functional at best.

• Reviewed on 2019/06/14
Marta P.
Head of HR
  • Reviewed on 2016/10/07

"Paychex Flex"

Comments: Procured the total HRO package (payroll, 401k, FSA, Time & Attendance, HRIS, HR Compliance and HR Generalist). There is no HRIS compatibility with the Payroll system, one has to run separate reports. Anytime Paychex updates their website, links do not work to the other features and or issues occur. Example, PTO accrual stopped working properly so we had to start accruing PTO manually and users not properly redirected to their links in the Learning center. On the payroll side the support is a black hole. Specifically any state registrations that are not properly loaded by Paychex and result in state tax fees which do not get resolved without employer paying penalty. Numerous emails do not get acknowledged. The implementation process is juvenile and lacks complete project management scope. Overall communication and execution by Paychex is so poor, one finally stops being frustrated and simply begins search for better system, which we are doing.

Pros: Compliance. Nice to have employee handbook online and learning center for compliance training is also helpful.
While Paychex payroll has strong workflow rules and meets general processing requirements, they make everything else so painful, therefore one could never recommend them. It would be like telling someone it's okay to cross a bridge that you know could collapse any moment and that you know is no longer maintained.

Cons: Assigned customer reps - unresponsive or not timely in responses until escalations. Paychex's lack of technology understanding - every time they upgrade they do not test what the impact to customer use and all their products. They had a big upgrade in late December 2015, their system was not accessible from early morning until the evening (end of year!). Multiple email and calls yielded no information. Finally at 4pm we get an email that they were experiencing problems and would be back live shortly. Who does that?
While learning center is a nice to have, spent an hour giving feedback and nothing changed, e.g., the CA Manager Anti- Sexual harassment training is 2.5 hours all in one shot. Not standard for training needs - asked them to break into 4 modules so it would not be daunting to busy leaders....crickets.

• Reviewed on 2016/10/07
Elisa B.
Construction, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/09/30

"Paychex Flex for Small Business"

Comments: My overall experience with the software has been positive. I can run payroll very quickly and everything comes back in a digital format for me to save, upload, or print for my records. They also have amazing customer service which they make personal and memorable.

Pros: The software is very user friendly and easy to navigate. There isn't anything hidden or difficult to figure out. Users can easily manipulate the software without guidance because everything is clear and concise.

Cons: I have not found anything about the software that was challenging or difficult to figure out, so far, the platform is everything a small business needs to get started with payroll.

• Reviewed on 2020/09/30
Ellie M.
Registrar
  • Reviewed on 2018/07/24

"Paychex has been an excellent option for our small non-profit!"

Comments: They do everything for you from making sure your employee's receive their W2's to generating amazing reports. I HIGHLY recommend Paychex!

Pros: I run a small non-profit in education and paychex has been so perfect for us. I don't have a accounting or CPA type background so I was intimidated at frist with having to manage payroll, send out W2's and other tax documents. But Paychex made it SO EASY for me! They even auto sent all the W2's! Customer service is always excellent and I always get a hold of someone quickly. I HIGHLY recomend Paychex!

Cons: The only issue I have ever had I even hesitate to call an issue. My company was in the approvial phase for our non-profit status and because we did not have our official 501(c)3 Paychex was taking out taxes that we should not had to have paid. But when we got our official status as a non-prof Paychex paid us back retroactively for the year. They couldn't refund any thing from the previous year though so that was a bit of a bummer.

• Reviewed on 2018/07/24
Wes C.
Sales Associate
Wholesale, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/04/20

"Not as useful as ADP"

Comments: Overall Paychex wasn't a terrible option for the company, but there are better options for larger companies.

Pros: I enjoyed the easy access to my time, pay, and tax information. Also not having to constantly change your password is nice.

Cons: We eventually switched to another product that allowed us more flexibility and options as a company. Adding benefits and learning options to our new software was nice.

• Reviewed on 2021/04/20
Marketing Associate
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/03/04

"Easy to use and great to have access to!"

Comments: Overall, I love using this software. It has been great and I recommend it to anyone looking to switch.

Pros: As a user of this software, it is wonderful. In my previous roles, I would always have to keep old pay stubs and inevitably lost them when I needed them (such as when applying for a mortgage, etc). Paychex Flex allows you to see all of your paychecks in one place, see deductions, tax documents, as well as other information like your employment anniversary. The app is wonderful as well. It's always nice to get a push notification to my phone reminding me it's payday!

Cons: There really isn't anything that I would change. I have really enjoyed using this software, and haven't heard of complaints from colleagues.

• Reviewed on 2021/03/04
Jessica M.
Human Resources Administrator
Machinery, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/03/23

"Very user friendly software. The dashboard is easy to navigate to all aspects."

Pros: Everything is just a click or drop down menu away. A library of past reports, whether it be a W2, tax return, or check stub, are all available to you in the reports section. I work for a business that has several separate companies under one parent company. I have one login to gain access to all the reports I would ever need when an employee comes in with a concern. It is actually quicker to login and get what I need rather than thumbing through file cabinets.

Cons: Everything is internet server based..... no go around that. Having a business in a remote area, you don't always have the best internet connection. Every once in a while my system will hang while trying to download some larger reports.

• Reviewed on 2018/03/23
Colleen M.
  • Reviewed on 2018/04/19

"Easy to navigate"

Pros: Easy to use. I can navigate from benefits to payroll to retirement very easily. I can also find out answers to employees questions with out having to call Paychex. It is user friendly for both companies and employees.

Cons: I do find that trying to find different reports can be a little bit challenging sometimes. When you create your own report it takes some time. Could be quicker.

• Reviewed on 2018/04/19
Operations Manager
Construction, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/13

"Use for multiple companies"

Comments: We use it for allowing our technicians to clock in and out, have lunch, and approve time off. It allows for the flexibility to do that and direct deposit.

Pros: Easy to use. Decent applications for both the browser and mobile devices. Easy approval on managers end for employee time off and clock corrections.

Cons: Application on mobile sometimes freezes, clocking multiple of the same "in" clocking for an employee.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/13
Mercedes L.
Administrative Secretary
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/05

"Easy to use"

Comments: It easy to use and simple.

Pros: I like the simplistic look, which makes it easy to navigate.

Cons: As a user of the software, I'm not sure if this is an issue that can be resolved in the settings or if this is just how it works, but the biggest con I can think of is that it logs you out after 25 minutes of inactivity. My break is 30 minutes and I wish it didn't sign me out during that time.

• Reviewed on 2019/03/05
Marketing Coordinator
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/20

"easy & convenient for payroll"

Comments: My experience with Paychex has been top notch. I use their mobile app to see my paychecks when they come in, as well as monitor my 401k performance and adjust my contributions. And at the end of the year, they provide me all of my W2 information for tax filing.

Pros: The Paychex interface is easy to use and really self explanatory. For something as complex as payroll, it could be easy to make things more complicated than they need to be. But as an end user, Paychex is great because it gives me all the information I need in a condensed & understandable format.

Cons: As an employee, I have yet to find anything to dislike about Paychex. I can't speak for our administrator/person in charge of payroll, but as far as I know it's a great experience all around.

• Reviewed on 2019/03/20
Rae W.
HR manager
Plastics, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/13

"Paychex"

Comments: Paychex is an easy payroll system that takes care of our payroll needs. The HR and accounting areas are great too that gather and calculate our entries for the month to import into the accounting system. Tax services have been great too

Pros: This is one of the easiest, user friendly payroll softwares I have used.

Cons: reports making can be challenging, but once you know what you are doing it is much easier

• Reviewed on 2019/08/13