Filter by:

• Overall

About SIMUL8

Make confident, impactful decisions with the world's fastest, most intuitive and effective simulation platform for desktop and the web.

Learn more about SIMUL8

Kristina N.
Kristina N.
Industrial Engineer II
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/09

"Ease of use and WONDERFUL customer experience"

Comments: 10/10 - I would purchase again. I also took the training with customer service rep and that unlocked my use of the tool more than if I were to just buy and use without going.Both the reps are the two employees I interface with most and I can't say enough positive things about my experience as a customer and user. They already had the sale, they didn't need to keep helping me but I feel their attitude is for the product to truly help my decision making.

Pros: Product is easy to use but the absolute BEST feature is the support. I can shoot an email with a question and get a very helpful response in under a day or, even better, I have emailed them my file and had support respond with where my error was. I wish I could give them 6/5 stars in this category.

Cons: In today's world we are spoiled with things like the iPhone "just working" and there are a few features that require some extra clicks when trying to make changes. Also could have more "flashy" charts/features but I just export the data to excel when needed to make these.

Harry N.
Harry N.
Student
Hospital & Health Care, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/05/29

"Invaluable Customer Service"

Pros: I would first like to highlight that this is not a review of Simul8 but is feedback of the immense customer support I recently received. I was recently in contact with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], an employee at Simul8, regarding assistance with a project I am currently undertaking in my final year of my mathematics degree at university. Not only was [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] extremely considerate of my lack of knowledge within Simul8, but his impressive depth of knowledge and thoroughness of his teachings has helped to provide invaluable information and insight into Simul8's diverse and powerful modelling tools. I cannot articulate how magnificent [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was and highly recommend that any queries or troubles one may encounter with Simul8 that you seek [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] support; he is an erudite in Simul8!

Cons: I have nothing negative to say regarding Simul8.

• Reviewed on 2020/05/29
Ryan P.
Assistant Analyst
Oil & Energy, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/16

"Logistics Simulations"

Comments: Positive experience. Technical support has been fantastic, and the software has answered all the needs I have so far.

Pros: Visual interface is great for observing and validating simulations. Graphics are useful for visualizing what is actually going on. Incorporating of visual logic is great for interfacing with excel, and customizing your own time or event based actions. When you hold mouse over a setting, there is usually a great explanation which is really helpful. It does what I need it to! So I can't complain there. I am still a new user so I have a good deal to learn, but overall, I'm having a positive experience and haven't encountered any issues I couldn't work out with some (excellent) technical support!

Cons: Could improve variables - it would be nice to be able to declare variables in the visual logic code, instead of having to go into information store and declare before using.
Would be nice to have an option to see all visual logic in one place as opposed to broken up and nested in each activity, makes it tricky to monitor when counters are updated, for example.
Would also be nice to see some common event based visual logic pre-made, for example, when activity complete, send time of day to a spreadsheet cell, and increment the row for the next completion time.
Would like to highlight several activities and change all parameters, such as resource details. It might just be my use case, but a lot of labour goes into updating a batch of settings across multiple activities that could be a global change. An example is for making a resource travel with work item - have to go into details in resources of each and every activity.
The default settings add a travel time based on arrow length - I would make that off by default.
Graphics interface feels a little buggy when scrolling and zooming - clock jumps around.
It appears you have to use the same units across the whole simulation. Clock in hours and others in minutes would be helpful.
Granted, I am using an old version of the software, and I am a relatively new user of the software. None of these are dealbreakers for me, just hopefully helps the development team improve or potential users get started.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/16
Ed B.
Sessional Instructor, Consultant, Trainer, Grand Poo-Bah
Higher Education, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/02

"For the Student version - from U of T"

Comments: Overall very good .... especially for simulation which hasd a rap of beeing complicated and hard to understand.. I can get a class of 30 people from a zero knowledge base, to build, test and run a basic simulation in under 40 minutes. that is fast Student experience is almost always very favourable ... some even find it slightly addictive!

Pros: Simplicity - visual nature and very Visio like in design and appearance makes it a natural fit with process analysis which for us starts with a Viso Flowchart

Cons: Use of Inter-arival time at work entry point.. I always find this trips up most people at first .. couldn't we just put another factor such as arrival rate .
Secondly adding or deleting lines in results manager is a pain.. I am starting to export to excel more and more

• Reviewed on 2019/07/02
Philippe B.
Managing Partner
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/16

"Powerful and intuitive"

Comments: I used SIMUL8 mainly in the healthcare sector. I may have done in the last 5 years approximately ten projects, big and small. I also use SIMUL8 with my students to teach operations management. SIMUL8 is powerful because it is fast but also because it is intuitive. This makes the results of a simulation easy to explain to customers that are not familiar with simulation.

Pros: The pros: The software is intuitive and easy-to-use. It has all the features to simulate complex organizations. I have been using it regularly since 2014. SIMUL8 is constantly being improved and users are involved in setting priorities for new developments. The SIMUL8 team offers excellent support. They have engineers experienced in all types of industries. In the field for which I mainly work (health care), I have always found all the support I needed for my projects. I have tested other simulation software and can confirm that SIMUL8 is powerful, well designed and robust. Its cost (license and maintenance) is very competitive compared to other simulation software.

Cons: 3D animation is not the strength of SIMUL8, but the 3D animation features offered by SIMUL8 are more than enough to test, debug and present the simulation results to customers. 3D animation is not the most important feature of a simulation program. Simulation speed and presentation of results are essential and SIMUL8 is fast and provides results that are easy to manage and interpret.

• Reviewed on 2019/09/16
Ed C.
Executive Office, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/01/29

"Useful For Work Flow Planning"

Comments: I used this product in depth to help consulting clients see and understand their process dynamics. I found this product excellent for that purpose. I found I was able to use video recordings of current and future state simulations to convince people to go forward with particular process improvement plans. I struggled a bit with modeling the process at the right level of detail, but that was a learning curve issue of mine. I would definitely buy this product again for this purpose.

Pros: Easy to set up models quickly.
Capable of modeling detailed nuances if you want it.
Cloud-based functionality available.

Cons: There's a learning curve. (But it's worth it.)
Hard to record videos of a simulation run. (I used a third-party program.)
Hard to know what level of detail to use.

• Reviewed on 2020/01/29
Anand S.
Operational Research Analyst
Government Relations, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/22

"General simul8 review"

Comments: Generally very useful. The stochastic nature of the runs give us very good representations of the models we are working with; this allows us to inform the stakeholders using valuable analysis.

Pros: Particularly very easy to use as a starter; having a clear idea of the process is most of the job done because, it is easy to implement- thanks to the user-friendliness of the software.

Cons: Nothing of note, although slightly frustrating that scroll zooms and ctrl scroll moves the window as opposed to other software where it's the other way round. Maybe there is a setting where I can change that?

• Reviewed on 2019/11/22
Melissa T.
Process Engineer
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 1 001-5 000 Employees

"Process Improvement"

Comments: It is great for getting business buy in for a new process change or wanting to buy a new piece of equipment and seeing the long term benefits.

Pros: It is very user friendly with intuitive build features.

Cons: Editing spreadsheets is very clunky but copy and pasting from excel can help with the lack of formatting.

João umbiruçu C.
Senior Consultant
Logistics & Supply Chain, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/21

"Simul8 - a very good tools to simulation projects"

Comments: I have been using Simul8 for more than 8 years and have developed the most different projects with it: warehouse, transportation, industries.
"Whatever can be described can be simulated."

Pros: Price
Learning
Few computational resources

Cons: Development of process animation is not very friendly.

Ebert B.
Full Professor
Education Management, 5 001-10 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/07/27

"When I think in making decisions, I think in Simul8!"

Comments: I teach simulation model under Simul8, because it is a very easy way for learning system simulation by using Simul8.

Pros: I do most like of Simul8 is its easy way for modeling any discrete event dynamic system, what becomes in a powerful tool for making decision based on simulation. I do also like its reports and graphs from output. They are very useful for writing reports.

Cons: I do least like is to do not get an executable file, which allow one to run the model outside environment Simul8, and so it obtain reports from any programmed experiments.

• Reviewed on 2018/07/27
Chris F.
Hospital & Health Care, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2016/08/10

"Simul8 for Healthcare"

Comments: I have had great experience with Simul8 at my organization in the healthcare industry. I have used it on multiple occasions for years and have never been disappointed by its capabilities or power. I have had a great experience with the product and would recommend it to anyone.

Pros: Intuitive, Customer Focused, Report Rich

Cons: Visuals for reporting could improve

• Reviewed on 2016/08/10
John W.
Lead Mfg Technologies Specialist
Logistics & Supply Chain, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/08/25

"Flexibility and Ease of Use"

Comments: Using for process and supply chain modeling and while still much to learn has been a useful learning and communication tool for our team.

Pros: Intuitive interface. Lot of training and support available. Flexibility in initial model creation and subsequent modification.

Cons: Needed to learn the terms and concepts of the software and fin things in the menus but with the training and support available it is very possible to find answers quickly.

• Reviewed on 2021/08/25
Daniel P.
Sr. Manager
Automotive, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/21

"SImul8 review from long time user"

Pros: Software is very ease to use and very powerfull. I have used it to help provide direction to plant layouts and operational patterns for production. Great tool to use for communication.

Cons: Software can be a little buggy. Usually this mean that it can hang up or shutdown. However, I have never lost work, it always seems to recover all the details where I left it.

Donald M.
Process Engineer
Consumer Goods, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/14

"A++ Customer Support & User Functionality!"

Comments: So far I've had a great experience wiht Simul8. I've recently taken the basic Simul8 training, led by the reps, and I'm eager to use this software on my next project.

Pros: Simul8 has an ideal user interface for the mordern day. As a moderate simulation user, I was thrilled to notice Simul8 abilitiy to be easy to pick up for a novice user.

Cons: With work becomning more and more mobile, I'm hoping to see an app or website version in the near future...

• Reviewed on 2019/08/14
Stacey C.
Analytics Manager
Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/08/27

"A powerful tool"

Comments: Overall I have had a very positive experience of using the software. We've used Simul8 for looking at explaining why ambulances queuing at emergency departments in recent years has increased. Currently are using it to look at staff required to deal with call demands at GP practices. We also use it for training other analysts to help them understand what discrete event simulation is and can do.

Pros: I find that the visualisation aspect of using Simul8 software for discrete event simulations really helps management and frontline staff to enagage in discussions around how to improve their system and gives them more confidence in results. Some of the features included make producing a model quicker for me than alternative solutions. One of the main reasons I'll use Simul8 over alternatives is the speed of reply and the very knowledgeable support staff. The ability to export full documentation of your model does help in making it more transparent to those who want to reproduce a similar model in alternative software and it does now connect to R as well as Excel. Really like the ability to use the online version of Simul8 as well as the desktop version. You can build simple models with the standard features quite rapidly which is great for beginners but the additional features like Optquest and Visual Logic expand its possibilities much further.

Cons: The obvious one is being a commercial company there is always going to be a cost and my organisation being public sector means there is a push right now to use opensource solutions instead. I sometimes find the visual logic help on the website doesn't resolve my query but a quick sometimes usually export to R or Excel for final versions. It is possible to occasionally crash but I can't remember it ever not recovering my work.

• Reviewed on 2020/08/27
Ibrahim S.
Lead engineer - Digital Manufacturing
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/04

"Excellent Simulation software..."

Comments: Excellent software to develop production planning & scheduling solutions..

Pros: Very easy to build any discrete process and writing logics is easy. Very less license cost and supports com interface..

Cons: Not possible build the simulaion in3D. No OPC interface.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/04
Patrick S.
President/Owner
Management Consulting, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2021/02/04

"SIMUL8 Professional Continues to Impress"

Comments: Originally I helped the selection and use for a large scale simulation for a tier 1 banking system.

Pros: The software can be used at varying levels depending on complexity of the problem and expertise of the user. From simple continuous improvement projects to modeling an entire airport or world-wide call center system.

Cons: The ability to import a vizio process flow directly into SIMUL8 could be more user-friendly. Also, its interface with Minitab.

• Reviewed on 2021/02/04
Hamza B.
PhD student
Logistics & Supply Chain, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/07/26

"Review"

Pros: Simple and easy to use. Visual logic is very nice.

Cons: Weak animation compared to other simulation softwares.

• Reviewed on 2019/07/26
Joseph H.
Naval Architect
Maritime, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/06/21

"Simul8 Review"

Comments: I have enjoyed using Simul8, it has helped on a project within my Company, I was especially impressed by the customer service when looking for help from [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN. She was very helpful and fixed the issues I was having.

Pros: I liked how easy it was to build a simulation and start getting results quickly.

Cons: Some of the user interface can be difficult to understand and slightly clunky to use. I have also noticed while using the software with multiple monitors that boxes or menus in the software can "appear" just off the screen.

by SIMUL8 on 2021/06/22

Thanks for your review! A member of the Simul8 team will be in touch to learn more about your valuable feedback.

• Reviewed on 2021/06/21
Craig H.
Asset Care Engineer
Textiles, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2021/03/22

"Simul8"

Comments: we have used the software to model loading schedules and optimise our factory design and working practices.

Pros: Allows complicated problems to better understood than traditional techniques would become overwhelmed.

Cons: I find the visual logic very good but it does take some time to fully understand nevermind master. part of the strength of the software is its ability to model just about anything.

• Reviewed on 2021/03/22
Eyamir U.
Eyamir U.
university professor
  • Reviewed on 2018/06/19

"easy-to-use software that allows you to create simulations with precision, flexibility and speed."

Comments: It has been a very useful software in the subject of simulation and Models, especially in the units of simulation of discrete models and in the units of study of tail systems, and events

Pros: Easy to use software that allows you to create simulations with precision, flexibility and speed. It allows simulation of events and also allows the creation of scenarios similar to reality, minimizing the risks associated with the administration of processes and projects. in addition, the creation of the simulation is done in the most simple and intuitive way possible, by the use of an explicit interface and the basic but efficient method of "drag-drop" to define the process. The user can run animated simulations very quickly without writing any line of code. And Simul 8 Professional plus all the features of the standard allow Customize the results, graphics and reports to show the KPIs (key performance indicators) that matter. Easily compare scenarios to make informed decisions. Realistic graphics Convert 2D models to 3D simulations with a simple click. Use photos and graphics known by your customers, or download from the large SIMUL8 image library, Optimize: save time and avoid errors using Optquest: it will show you the different scenarios and offer you the optimal solution. Share simulations "Viewer" allows you to share your simulations with clients or associates who do not have the full SIMUL8 license. Even more powerful with "Visual Logic" allows you to add complexities and nuances to your simulation in a way that reflects your real life system and processes. Other interfaces can be connected including Microsoft Excel, VBA, VB, and C ++.

Cons: Actually, as such, I do not have any disadvantage or feature that is not my taste, I think a very good software

• Reviewed on 2018/06/19
Ashley R.
Ashley R.
Software Engineer
Information Technology & Services, 10 000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/08/08

"Useful and Brilliant simulation product."

Comments: Outstanding simulation software particularly for simulating discrete models quickly and easily. It is not wrong to say this is proved to be the superb simulation package.

Pros: SIMUL8 Professional software is the fantastic software frequently used by a wide range of people. Easy to use and analyses results. Best software for creating simulation immediately based on the fascinating features like precision, flexibility and fluent speed. This software can be easily installed, downloaded and operated by anyone.

Cons: One of the cons of this software is that it lacks screen graphics and Annotations. Another limitation is that sometimes while using this software, operator travel link becomes corrupt creating difficulty for the users.

• Reviewed on 2018/08/08
Ed K.
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/08/11

"Consultant's Review"

Comments: 1) New systems - first provide objective analysis that the new system design will actually obtain desired results - then fine tune proposed new design to facilitate rapid ramp up 2) Existing systems - test out improvement ideas to identify those with high impact of actually improving the system

Pros: I recommend to my clients that they first simulate proposed changes to their systems in order to have objective evidence that the proposal will achieve desired results. I recommend Simul8 simulation software because of its' ease of use especially for those who only use simulation occasionally.

Cons: None when I consider manufacturing type flow systems.

• Reviewed on 2019/08/11
Kim H.
Modelling Manager
11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/02/06

"Simulation Made Easy and yet Powerful for Experts"

Comments: I have utilized SIMUL8 for over 18 years on a wide array of industries from manufacturing to call centers, to minerals processing facilities and across a wide array of problems from continuous improvement, new plant design, line balancing etc. It is an easy to use package, which is incredibly affordable, both practical for the first time user and for experts. I personally would like to see improvements on the transportation side of things, but overall an excellent product. The support team is extremely helpful and responsive.

Pros: Ease of use but practically useful for the expert user. The debugging tools are excellent and I am also a fan of their speed analyzer, something I had seen in few other simulation products.

Cons: Improvements to transportation and logistics.

• Reviewed on 2017/02/06
Callum E.
Information Analyst
Hospital & Health Care, 501-1 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/02/27

"Simul8 Review"

Comments: The product is brilliant. It's the first simulation software I've ever used and after being introduced to other available software it will also be the last software I use. The software is very user-friendly and easy to use. Visually, the results can do most of the talking for you and is very powerful and easy to understand for all audiences. The visual logic feature is extremely useful, however I find myself emailing the support team quite a bit for help with it, I'm not sure whether this is because I didn't have training in it, but I sometimes struggle to find helpful online tools to help me with my visual logic problems. However, when I can't find the solution the customer support team can. They're extremely helpful and will always provide you with an answer, but they'll also always provide additional information on the topic that's troubling you and will help teach you how to find the solution, so this particular problem won't trouble you in the future. Great product and great support.

Pros: User friendly

Cons: Struggle to find answers to my particular visual logic problems online - always require customer support

• Reviewed on 2017/02/27