• Overall
    4,5 /5
    4,5 /5
    4,4 /5

About ActiveCollab

ActiveCollab is a project management software that gives you complete control over your work. Make Real Work happen now!

Learn more about ActiveCollab

General Manager
  • Reviewed on 2021/04/15

"Good choice for a basic project management tool but lacking when compared to Basecamp"

Comments: ActivaCollab is still at the initial stage in terms of features even though they have been in the market for a couple of years. It serves our initial purpose of tasking team mates and tracking task conversation and progress but not more than that. Based on that, our usage is limited to basic tasking and we are considering and exploring migrating to a different system.

Pros: Onboarding is easy, interface is easy to use and understanding. It's also one of the cheapest option in the market. For features that are not available, the ActiveCollab team is keen to consider adding that feature though during our usage, we didn't really see the feature being rolled out.

Cons: I used to use Basecamp and when compared, there are a lot of features that are lacking in ActiveCollab such as being able to create a Gantt timeline, quite messy grouping of projects on the main home page, not able to add vendors (only can add clients, yet we do not use ActiveCollab to collaborate with clients). As a project management tool, we also would like to see how we can gauge the workload of each team mate and if each team mate might be overload within the day or week, this function at the moment is not available. Completed tasked are being archived and under archived, the completed tasks are not organised according to task list. Some features such as invoicing and budget management cannot be adopted by finance team as they uses a more advanced thou legacy system which includes a whole lot of other functions on top of merely invoicing.

• Reviewed on 2021/04/15
CTO
  • Reviewed on 2020/07/21

"Simple and extensive"

Comments: It was very good to us during 6 years.

Pros: Web used Active Collab during several years in our servers. The database structure is very simple and allow us to create dashboards with user data.

Cons: Lack of features like kanban and of user interface improvements during updates

• Reviewed on 2020/07/21
Printing, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/02/09

"A/C has been a game changer for us. We are using it a bit outside of its intended scope but it works"

Comments: Highly focussed team members. Remote work flexibility. Collaboration. Time Management. Quality Management. Data Management. Targeted and SMART Goals. Internal Motivation. Trust.

Pros: The platform makes communicating with team members a breeze. We have a multitude of projects and tasks within the three departments - A/C helps keep everything organized and on track. LOVE the landing screen "My Work". The calendar view is awesome for our morning meetings. It is great that we can filter by person or project on the calendar. It's a robust feature that other platforms did not have. Really enjoy the notifications when I mention a team member. The robust area within a project including Tasks List, Discussions, Files, notes, Time, Expenses, Activity is great. Not only does it encourage collaboration it fully supports remote work. On the task list, we can drag/drop tasks. Filter by assignees, tasks lists, due dates, or completed tasks. You can also review the overall project progress. A/C has some great reporting features. I like how we can star projects. Simple features like that are NOT overlooked in the A/C platform. Time tracking, invoicing, and estimates functions look great. We haven't used them yet but we will eventually. I appreciate the pricing. The customer support is quick and responsive. Our team has embraced the platform and I feel we will continue to use it for years to come. I would recommend the platform to others.

Cons: Disclaimer: We use it a bit outside of its intended purpose. Our group is Marketing, Web Development, and IT. Although there are a ton of project-based objectives within the departments there are some marketing functions that are not project based. This is the biggest thing I've got it's not a deal breaker. Maybe extend the software to include flexible user accounts or setup different types of project areas. That isn't necessarily project oriented. Minors:
Recurring tasks are a bit of a pain to setup the first time
Multiple different calendars confuse people sometimes and they end up creating a calendar for themselves.
Maybe we could setup tasks requiring a sign-off? Maybe this is already a feature and I don't know how to do it yet?

Ulric A.
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/18

"Collaborative working made easy"

Pros: It's a great Project Management System. We moved from a legacy system and had prerequisites for our agency: project & task management, people/roll management and time management. It does these with ease. Then it layered great collaborative working.

Cons: The recently launched "workload" feature is an add-on additional cost. As a SaaS the competition is fierce for features and benefits. I personally think this should have been part of their bundle, not additional.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/18
Director, Advancement Events
Higher Education, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/02/15

"Active Collab is helpful in keeping everyone on the same page and up to date on tasks"

Comments: Overall, I really like ActiveCollab as a project management tool. We have been able to onboard folks to it quickly and again, I like to have one place that I can go and see all my active projects and current tasks. You are also able to see past projects and tasks.

Pros: I like that I can go one place and see all my tasks for the projects I am a part of. It is easy to tag people and the software is pretty intuitive. It allows many people to be part of the big picture and stay up to date on the progress of projects. It also cuts down on the number of emails I need to send because I can follow up on items within the program and tag people.

Cons: The customer support often leaves something to be desired. When issues arise it is not usually a quick fix and when Active Collab is down, our project management comes to a halt because this is the key to our success. The everyday support for quick answers is fine, but when major issues arise the solutions are not always quick.

• Reviewed on 2019/02/15
Joseph H.
  • Reviewed on 2018/01/16

"This has been the perfect solution for our project management needs. We do everything here."

Comments: More efficient project management. More time spent on work, less time searching for files or waiting on emails.

Pros: It has the sophistication we need and remains very easy to use. I have tried nearly every other project management software out there, and this one makes the most sense to me. It allows us to effectively collaborate with clients, and it gives us complete control over what can be seen and accessed. We use it for time tracking as well. It connects with a number of other services including Quickbooks. They really seem to listen to their users. I have asked for things and have seen them implemented. Overall, it is a great solution for us, and I do recommend it to anyone looking to better manage their projects.

Cons: I did like a little more flexibility in the license levels. It would be nice to pay by the user when we need extra users rather than have to bump up to a level that many more users than we currently need.

• Reviewed on 2018/01/16
Sergey D.
Public Relations & Communications, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/02/09

"Clean and pleasant user interface with most of functionality that we need"

Comments: It is our primary task tracker that we use for each and every project we work on.

Pros: 1. Nice and easy-to-use interface. No issues with using it for several hours a day.
2. Several nice feeds: global (across all projects), project-wide and personal.
3. Ability to estimate and then track time for a given task.
4. We are an agency and our clients are REALLY NOT eager to use various task-trackers that different agencies push onto them. Thankfully, you can respond to any ActiveCollab comment via email so our clients do not even need to open ActiveCollab to collaborate with us. Meanwhile, we have all messages and comment in a nice and clean order, all inside our comfy ActiveCollab interface.

Cons: At some point we decided to move to a self-hosted version of ActiveCollab. By that point we've been using ActiveCollab for a while and our database (including all the files) was about 150GB. Unfortunately, it took about 6 weeks (from 16/10/2017 to 30/11/2017) for the guys over at ActiveCollab to provide us with a link to download our data.

Chris V.
.NET Developer, Reporting
Railroad Manufacture, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/11/27

"ActiveCollab is Basecamp, but better and cheaper"

Comments: Overall, this is a major tool for the day-to-day operation of my business. Support is at least average, functionality is fairly complete and mature, and it is a pleasure to use.

Pros: I started using ActiveCollab back when it was open source and contributed to the code. Since then it has matured a lot. It is a great over-all solution for project management, communication, time management, and even invoicing. The interface is well-thought-out and has few glitches.

Cons: The reporting functionality leaves a bit to be desired, but gets the job done. As others have mentioned, the search functionality is not great and setting up Elastic Search for the self-hosted version is a bit involved. Also, the mobile apps are not great.

• Reviewed on 2018/11/27
Tracie P.
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/07/08

"The flexibility of ActiveCollab makes this an all round fantastic business tool"

Comments: ActiveCollab has increased my productivity, my organisation and decreased the sheer volume of clutter that used to be on my desk

Pros: The ability to view information a variety of ways enables each project to be completed according to need.
The flexibility of reports
The fantastic customer service you can tell they put the customer first and genuinley care about you getting the most from the software
The best thing about ActiveCollab however, is the ability to handle general admin tasks along side projects, something very few project managers allow for

Cons: The UI the software really needs a little colour, I know this is a little thing but I also know it is important to some people.
Although the android app works well, I have a personal preference for seeing my task lists on a homescreen widget not having to access through an icon

• Reviewed on 2018/07/08
Tamara W.
Company Owner
Maritime
  • Reviewed on 2018/02/09

"Easy in use and very practical. One of the best PM-tools i've ever worked with."

Comments: I find it very easy to work with. I have already adviced people to use it, because I really like to work with it. It's also not expensive, which I find a very important asset.

Pros: It allows you to make different projects and within the projects itself you have tons of options. Also, you can make tasks and subtasks and assign them to someone, which I find very usefull, certainly when working with a lot of people. The billing-tool is also very easy. I've been working with ActiveCollab for a while now, and it's by far one of the best project management tools I have used.

Senior Digital Communications Manager
  • Reviewed on 2018/02/10

"Used well, this is all you need to keep an eye on business"

Pros: I like the fact that everything is contextually linked, you can dive into a task from a calendar, report, email - anything really.
As a manager it's great for checking workload and distributing tasks efficiently. I've been using ActiveCollab for a while now in different organisations, so much so I recommended we get the self-hosted version.

Cons: The inability to email direct to other modules like conversations and files unlike Basecamp which does allow it. That and not being able to add tasks from the calendar. That would be awesome.

• Reviewed on 2018/02/10
Luc-philippe P.
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/06

"ActiveCollab"

Comments: When we were looking for a tool to help us manage our small business, many tools were complicated or over priced for just what we needed. ActiveCollab was perfect in price and functionality.

Pros: It allows my team to collaborate easy and get work done with.

Cons: I would like to control some of the notification features more. For example, I'd like to disable/modify when the Daily report is sent out and it would be great if there's an option where members of a project that are subscribers can get a notification of an update and not all the details.

• Reviewed on 2019/03/06
Jayden L.
Internet, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/03/10

"Fast, user-friendly, a core part of our teamwork"

Comments: I use ActiveCollab to manage my business and personal tasks and goals, and it's invaluable for our team's collaboration.

Pros: It's fast, user-friendly, and intuitive. It supports teamwork within our web design company, and the support is amazing. Love that there's a mobile app and a desktop timer app to keep track of certain task's time.

Cons: I'm honestly struggling to think of anything. Perhaps the search area could remember previous searches when you click in it, but that's really an advanced thing that I just thought of today.

• Reviewed on 2018/03/10
Kevin B.
Software Engineer
  • Reviewed on 2018/02/13

"We have been using ActiveCollab for about 5 mo to manage our projects. It's helped us collaborate."

Pros: It's easy to use and has a lot of features for the price. It has been very reliable and has great recovery features such as saving incomplete comments if one navigates away from the task and later comes back.

Cons: Subtasks are pretty limited in scope, and it's not easy to convert a task to a subtask and vice versa. Sometimes when we setup a project, we just want to get everything in there as a task. Later when we want to refine the tasks into higher level/lower level (basically create subtasks from existing tasks) we end up not using subtasks because we would lose all of our comments and other meta data that may be saved to the task as a top-level task.

• Reviewed on 2018/02/13
Adam W.
Senior Director of Analytics
Marketing & Advertising, 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/02/12

"A really helpful tool for time, resource and team cost analysis"

Pros: We use ActiveCollab in a fairly basic way when compared to the layers of functionality it offers. We use it track time spent by individuals in the team across the many projects we work on. This helps us to accurately surcharge team costs back to our stakeholders and plan resources efficiently. Key benefits of the tool in this regard include; The ease and flexibility of creating projects and assigning to team members.
The ease with which a 'cost' can be assigned to each individual
The flexible reporting capability and ease with which the raw data can be exported for detailed analysis.

• Reviewed on 2018/02/12
Justin H.
Instructional Designer
Higher Education, 201-500 Employees
  • Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/22

"ActiveCollab Project Management"

Pros: My team requires daily collaboration and project management where 3-4 teams are working on different components of the same project. This tool is an excellent and intuitive way to collaborate and track timelines on our larger projects. It has been significantly better than our previous tool (Basecamp 3)

Cons: The notes tool is not quite up to snuff compared to other tools, and this might be a deal breaker for some uses.

• Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/22
Guy S.
Graphic Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/02/21

"Great product and features for the price"

Comments: Overall, I've loved AC. Coupe hiccups a year ago, but they are good about hopping on things and addressing issues.

Pros: Love the fact that I can pretty much do soup-to-nuts with AC. I especially love the estimates and invoicing; makes keeping things in one place easy!

Cons: I'd like to be able to set up more complex roles and responsibilities and add people as sub-contractors, give them only certain abilities, allocate a pay model for them and report on their role.

Nemanja V.
UI/UX Designer
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/01/12

"Amazing project management tool"

Comments: We've been in a search for a long time trying to find a PM tool for our design agency. We've tried Asana, Trello & Active Collab and trial each of them for some time. Active Collab was a huge winner. Tracking tasks, expenses, time & working with clients is simply astonishing and they've built user interface which is unbelievably easy to use. (If we take into consideration that most of the PM tools have the hard time to stay simple due to the huge amount of content).
Active Collab addresses the key issues in project management and brings your agency messy things into order!

Pros: The way how everything is built and organised. It's simple, and if you need additional features, you just add them via add-ons.

Cons: none

• Reviewed on 2017/01/12
Tod w. D.
  • Reviewed on 2019/03/20

"Great Alternative to Basecamp"

Comments: We are very happy with ActiveCollab and how involved it lets our clients be within the project and our ability to track our time spent on each project. A great improvement over Basecamp which its​ capabilities were much more limited. Would definitely recommend.

Pros: What we like most is the time tracking for projects and the ability for our clients to​ upload files to the project.

Cons: Would like a Slack like feature to be able to communicate without​ email.

• Reviewed on 2019/03/20
Vice President of Technology, Operations
Publishing, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2018/02/09

"Reliable, effective, and invaluable"

Pros: Active Collab is easy to use for all types (business, tech, etc.) of users in our organization. It has all of the features that we need to effectively manage our enterprise software development efforts. We're enjoying the addition of recurring tasks!

Cons: We'd like to see more features at the sub-task level, such as due date and label. They're not necessary, but they would be a nice to have!

Sonet C.
Senior Project Manager
  • Reviewed on 2018/01/29

"It allows me to manage all my projects and teams collaborated in one place."

Pros: The fact that you can use it anywhere, even on your phone, and can take it anywhere you go, and are kept up to date with all projects at the same time.
We also use the Estimates/Invoices a lot, and helps us keep track of payments.

Cons: The Reports section can be set up to have more detailed in depth reports, that can be exported to be mailed to management.

• Reviewed on 2018/01/29
Alessandro D.
Graphic Designer
  • Reviewed on 2018/02/06

"Gets the job done."

Pros: Everything is in one place. Very easy to manage day to day tasks and long term projects.
It's also very convenient that you can add the hours for a certain project/task.

Cons: The fact that I can't set deadlines to subtasks. I set up projects as tasks under headings such as "pamphlets", but under the specific task, I set up subtasks such as "get translation". It would be much more convenient to have deadlines for the subtasks as well as the main task (which currently exists)

• Reviewed on 2018/02/06
Kali M.
Graphic Designer
  • Reviewed on 2018/01/26

"I use it exclusively for work and it's super helpful."

Comments: Helpful messaging/file sharing and easier project management.

Pros: Threads are really good for us to organize our projects/conversations. Google Drive compatibility has been helpful as well. I like how customizable it is for each individual user

Cons: Mine tends to crash extremely frequently around the time updates become available. I have issues with my mobile app sending my messages multiple times. I would like for it to be more compatible with gmail.

• Reviewed on 2018/01/26
Wojciech S.
  • Reviewed on 2017/04/14

"Very good modern project management tool"

Comments: I was using Active Collab to coordinate work of 25 people team across different countries. It was extremely easy to use, notify people about outstanding tasks as well as track the time they were spending on those. We also had a bug-tracking system that helped us properly manage all outstanding issues and during debugging process.

Pros: Ease of use

Cons: none, really

• Reviewed on 2017/04/14
Bryan S.
Business Analytics Specialist
Information Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/02/21

"Nice tool for broad array of uses"

Comments: This is a great tool for tracking tasks, time and organization of all the relevant details. We use it as the primary means to track client time and its been spot on. The collaborative features are solid and the ability to store everything in a single location regarding a project is a huge help.

Pros: I love the clean interface and ease of task grouping and organization.

Cons: The API information, while available, is somewhat lacking and a bit outdated at times.