ShopKeep Reviews

by ShopKeep By Lightspeed

• Overall
    4,2 /5
    4,4 /5
    4,2 /5

About ShopKeep

ShopKeep By Lightspeed exists to give independent business owners the tools they need to thrive in the modern world.

Learn more about ShopKeep

Denise K.
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/11/05

"Review of ShopKeep"

Comments: I went from a complex system that I purchased for over $100,000 to ShopKeep. What a joy to have a system that is so easy to use and not time consuming to do the task at hand. Yet it provides so much information to know exactly where your company stands. Love everything about ShopKeep.

Pros: My favorite thing about ShopKeep is That it can give you so much information about your numbers yet it is so easy to operate.

Cons: I know this sounds crazy but I really don't have any negatives with this system.

• Reviewed on 2019/11/05
Tracy H.
Consumer Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 2020/11/12

"Great Apple POS"

Comments: Overall experience with shopkeep is positive after switching from another POS system for small Business.

Pros: Great Apple iPad Pos system
Shopkeep is ideal for small businesses that have a storefront and small to medium items to sell.
It works quickly with less glitches than many other small business POS solutions.
Keeps tabs on inventory, hours, customer emails and can be quickly linked to Quickbooks for accurate tax accounting.
After having tried several POS systems for mine and my husband's small businesses over the years-this one is the most effective.
I really like the inventory setup. It can be customized and is colorful so you can quickly pick items for sale for smooth transactions. It also allows for easy reordering of inventory when items are almost out of stock. A big plus is that it takes major credit cards without huge extra transaction fees.

Cons: The only downside is cost as the software, apple phones and tablets can be expensive if just starting up.

• Reviewed on 2020/11/12
David G.
Director of Retail and Merchandise Operations
Sports, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/29

"Good System For Smaller Minor League Sports Teams"

Comments: I have had a very good experience with ShopKeep. This is an easy to work with system both back and front of the house, that is moderately priced. If I ever needed to figure out how to pull a report a simple phone call or internet search solved the problem. I don't think that I have ever been on hold with their customer service, for more than a minute. My only real problem with SkopKeep is that you have to pay full price for a second register and then full price again for a 3rd register, and so on.

Pros: Great back of the house inventory system.
Lots of viewable sales reports.
Easy to use and clean POS.
Dozens of Hot Keys available for POS
Immediate register updates and syncing with back of house.
Good customer support system

Cons: In order to get multiple POS registers, you have to pay full price for a whole new system. Meaning that you are paying the same amount for an extra register, that you would be paying for a single register plus your entire back of house inventory system. I would be willing to pay a little extra for multiple registers, but not the same amount for a whole new system. In order to pull an inventory report, you have to export to excel. Would be much easier if you could pull an inventory report based on Department or Category.

Alan A.
Restaurants, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2020/12/09

"Excellent business responsive company"

Comments: Excellent customer service, easy to access them for help, always available 24/7

Pros: Relable, easy to develop and use, great tech and customer service response.

Cons: Initial card reader would not work on Gift Cards - had to upgrade to another card reader

• Reviewed on 2020/12/09
Darin S.
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/22

"Choose Shopkeep for Concern, Response and Continued Improvement!"

Comments: Overall I have been very happy with Shopkeep. After using it a year I migrated to Square for Retail thinking it would give me everything I needed (in-store and mobile option) in one system. It was a horrible experience for me (unable to print labels from within the app, had to create my own sku system, inventory didn't provide detail I needed) and I RAN AS FAST AS I COULD back to Shopkeep!

Pros: Easy to use, intuitive, flexible, the product has continued to improve and evolve in the 4.5 years I've been using it. 24 hr. assistance

Cons: I wish there was a way to download Inventory by supplier or category. The ability to download and print or at least just print more reports would be helpful. Becoming increasingly difficult to get assistance in a timely manner without carrying the premium pay level of service. I occasionally do off-site events such as as festivals, and have group events where I need to ring up wine purchases. Unfortunately these don't occur frequently enough to justify paying a monthly fee for a second register so for those types of things we have to use the Square App and then manually adjust inventory.

Carrie B.
Shop Manager
  • Reviewed on 2019/09/11

"ShopKeep for Your Little Shop"

Comments: Our experience over the last year and a half has been positive. We are satisfied with everything that we are able to do with ShopKeep and look forward to adding features as our business grows. I would recommend this system to other businesses.

Pros: When I was originally shopping for a POS system, I was a new buyer. I have new how to use different system but was never the decision maker. I researched for price, ease of use, payroll capabilities and tech support. ShopKeep ticked all the boxes. It is easy to update when we add new products or change pricing. It is easy to check the time clock and adjust for missed punches. We have had a few occasions to use the customers service and each time were met with excellent service and immediate action to resolve our issues.

Cons: The upgrades are pricey for a small business but I don’t think it is much different than other systems that are available. We are a new, small business and value the bottom line more than the bells and whistles. As our business grows it is nice to know that the capabilities are there to grow with us.

• Reviewed on 2019/09/11
Jody D.
Director of Support Services
Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 Employees

"Best out there"

Comments: We do have an IT department that manages most aspects of shopkeep, including maintaining products, iPad layouts, hardware, networking and reports, so we're fortunate in that respect, but in the few instances that we've contacted ShopKeep for help, they have been very responsive and proactive in getting us up-and-running quickly.

Pros: Shopkeep is really easy to use and set up - there is optional customizability and granularity that allows a company to operate as complex a retail or food service business as any small or medium business would want, yet it is scalable to a small business with less complexity too. We are a small, rural hospital with an outstanding Cafe (some people come to the hospital just for the food, and it is considered one of the best places to eat in our community). We use Shopkeep to run the Cafe for employees (who can swipe their ID badge to do a payroll-deduct for their meals), and visitors. In addition, we have a mobile register (iPad) that our dietary staff uses to visit patients on our inpatient wing at meal times to take patient food orders as well. Our patients LOVE this!

Cons: We have been very pleased with the product, and have been using it for over 5 years. The issues we've had are related to the hardware (iPads) and the payment terminal hardware. Even so, these issues have been exceedingly infrequent.

Alaina G.
  • Reviewed on 2019/06/20

"Great Product"

Comments: I have loved this system since I got it at the beginning of 2019. The customer service is AWESOME. The credit card rates are great. Great reporting tools and the app is so handy.

Pros: The price and features were exactly what I was looking for. The credit card rates are unbeatable.

Cons: There are a few things in the inventory management area that I would change to take less “steps” to accomplish certain tasks but all in all it has all of the features I need to manage my inventory.

• Reviewed on 2019/06/20
Ariel J.

"Shopkeep"

Pros: Ease of use. Easy to print UPCs straight from the software. Easy to read the data. I like that Shopkeep processes their own credit cards because then you only have one customer service agent to call when there is an issue.

Cons: Bulk Management is not easy to use because there are many nuances that bring up a lot of issues/errors. It doesn't let you activate inventory counts once they are turned false.

Pam W.

"Huge Time Saver"

Comments: As stated above, it saves me a lot of time and manual entry. It has given me a better picture of my business analytically.
It tracks inventory, which I had always done a physical inventory with an excel spreadsheet. I love that I know immediately what my inventory amount is.

Pros: It automated the majority of my processes. I currently have 25+ local artists. Before ShopKeep, I manually calculated their total sales by peeling off and saving their tags. I love being able to see at any moment where I'm at with our consignment.
I also love that I can see a snapshot of my business at any point. I like seeing average sales, top selling items, total sales tax due.
Saves me so much time and paper!

Cons: Our clover is not the most reliable. Whenever I've had a problem, it's been related to the all-in-one
Clover. I usually have to unplug it and plug it back in and let it reboot - not the most beneficial while a line of customers are waiting to check out.
When it works - I love it! When it doesn't, it's very frustrating!

Eugene W.
Restaurants, 2-10 Employees

"Credit card readers"

Comments: Need better credit card processing. Like square

Pros: It’s fairly easy to use and update on the back end.
Keeping track of sales and the the pocket app is a useful feature

Cons: The credit card processors have costed us a substantial amount of business. From customers walking out to getting looks for having to type in every bit of credit card detail just to buy a cup of coffee. We wanted to be able to take Apple Pay, but we didn’t know the credit card processors comparable with Shopkeep would cut out as frequently as they do.

Jacqua C.
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/25

"Great Customer Experience"

Comments: I needed an automated POS and inventory management system. ShopKeep has fully solved this gap.

Pros: The integration between back office and the register is seamless. We are beta testing the Android register and have found it to be very user friendly. The reporting features it lacked were quickly added to the next release, which I was very happy to see. Customer service is so friendly, knowledgable and quick to engage. I am very pleased with the software and service overall.

Cons: Its integration to the preferred web host Big Commerce is sub optimal. Quantity counts are not reliable. It is also difficult to accurately import the products from ShopKeep back office .

• Reviewed on 2019/10/25
Michael B.
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/15

"Shopkeep pretty good"

Comments: Overall it's been pretty good, minus the sync issue with your software and the Clover issue that you were not very helpful with.

Pros: I like the ease of use. Everything is stored on the cloud, and I have access to all my data on any computer and even my phone app.

Cons: It takes over 20 minutes for the register to open every morning when we open. Also, if you try to sync, it is the same thing. 20 minutes or more to sync it to the cloud. Horrible. Also, our Clover is flaking out, and Shopkeep was not helpful in resolving this issue, did not offer any solutions, and just made me buy a new one AT FULL PRICE. Not a very good experience, and I feel that they didn't care about me as a customer.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/15
Bobbie H.
Restaurants
  • Reviewed on 2016/08/13

"On it's way"

Pros: When Shopkeep is running and everything is syncing it's wonderful. Easy to use, easy to train staff to use, the credit card signing page has increased tipping by 30%, reporting is fun to see without extra data entry.

Cons: When Shopkeep isn't running and syncing time moves so slowly. Resetting the credit card machine over and over during a busy time is awful. Resetting the ticket printers then updating the ipads when we are busy is miserable. Having them just not re set and paying more to manually enter credit card numbers sucks. Having the printers just not reset and having to go back to hand writing and running tickets to the kitchen is the worst. When the ipads don't sync so we can't pull checks at the register for customers who didn't order at the register and well that really sucks. A lot. Troubleshooting with customer service on this last issue was pretty bad. They would go back to the beginning and tell me to restart the ipads as if I wouldn't have tried that considering we experience them not syncing at least every other day. I have had to get a new router and faster internet to try and solve it. We still experience the ipads not syncing at least every other day even with the expensive upgrades. And lastly reading the summary report to understand what amount of cash you are intended to deposit daily is very confusing. I was told different things by different reps and this led to a daily error we had to go back and fix weeks after we discovered it. Is cash total with your initial drawer amount or not and why doesn't it automatically subtract cash Pay Outs or does it in fact do that? Well we figured it out finally it does not include your starting cash but does include not exclude your Pay Outs. Seems dumb for such a smart system. But worse seems dumb customer service gave different information on different days.

• Reviewed on 2016/08/13
Michelle O.
Vice President
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/27

"Goes above and Beyond"

Comments: Overall, shopkeep is better than I ever expected.

Pros: Shopkeep has been easy to use from day 1. The reporting part of it is one of my favorite parts because they make it so user-friendly and they're always looking to the customers on ways to improve. In addition, their customer service is great. They really go above and beyond until your problem is resolved.

Cons: I wish it came with an actual book manual I could download hand out to the employees during their orientation.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/27
Lori B.
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/22

"Great Small Business Register Tool"

Comments: For the most part it has worked well for us. I am having a difficult time in keeping files straight within quickbooks as I have desktop and it does not sync.

Pros: Easy set up, use and online access to sales information through online portal. Easy to use for employees.

Cons: I wish I could also make sales online through the portal for remote access and manual card entry.

Timothy B.
Chef/Owner
  • Reviewed on 2019/06/28

"Why Try the Best?"

Comments: This is a great product and program for a growing business. We are interested in growing and this system will allow us to take the current system and add on to what we have, Easy Peasy. We have to be ready for growth, this is the way to do it!

Pros: The set up and use for this software has been awesome! We are constantly adding and ending products. Integrating that into the system and tracking in the customer module is a breeze. These guys are updating and automating the system all the time. In my field, we have a high change over of employees, ease of use is a must.

Cons: While the system is a good product, as any business owner, we are always paying attention to cost of the system. For a business that needs multiple registers and multiple set ups, this is a great system to use and to operate many different registers on the same system and program. Data gathering in this system would be phenomenal when tracking, organizing and interpreting,

• Reviewed on 2019/06/28
Sue I.

"Excellent program"

Comments: We use the reports on a daily basis to predict sales and staffing needs. On our very busy days I know when the peak sales are and can schedule staff accordingly. Also we see exactly which product sold over any day or special day (Valentines, Mother’s Day etc), we prepare our product accordingly. At the sales end it is easy to use & very fast to learn. We also use it with the Appcard loyalty program which our customers love!!

Pros: We have used this program for many years. It is constantly improving in response to customers needs. Great detail on the iPhone, easy to use at the store front, very easy to change any settings in the back office and get anytype of report. Also love the employee time clock & reports, great to have this feature in the same program.

Cons: I would like a commitment pricing. After so many years of paying month to month, it was offered for a brief time when the price went up but I missed the window to commit.

Ana maria R.
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/21

"My experience with Shopkeep"

Pros: Its a really easy to use and program POS. Continuously they do updates to better serve us and they also educate on how to get the most potencial out of it! Its portable, and works even if theres lost of power or internet.

Cons: recently they divided their packages so now you get less from them for the amount of money you pay.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/21
Karen H.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

"Best POS software"

Comments: The customer service is phenomenal. Always polite and quick to respond and help. With Shopkeep we are able to track inventory more efficiently, there are less inaccurate inventory counts, easier to see what needs to be ordered, how often we sell a specific product, etc. It take next to no time to generate reports. The reports have more information in them with much less effort, no searching around for hours trying to get the information we're looking for. The only reason the rest of the franchisees (we're a national franchise) have not jumped on board is because corp cannot monitor the individual sales for each store with Shopkeep. Please DO NOT change that!

Pros: This software is extremely easy to use and provides detailed reports which is essential in running any business. Having the staff clock in and out using the same software is extremely beneficial as well. No more separate software programs!

Cons: I honestly cannot think of any cons. We've used Shopkeep for over a year and if there were any issues, they would've been long ago in the beginning and they weren't really issues, just needing to learn the program.

Kevin C.
LLC-Manager
Restaurants, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 2017/07/21

"Getting better but still needs work"

Comments: Be careful with BYOD equipment (they prefer you buy from them). I recently added a wireless receipt printer and had problems with the system printing multiple receipts. When I contacted support they stated my solution is not supported but they would try to help me. The problem got fixed by deleting all three printers and re-adding them but I was concerned about the not support comment. Seems like they are way behind on current technology.

Pros: Quick to learn and easy to operate. A recent update made navigating tabs easier if you have more than one screens worth of tabs.

Cons: Serverless sync needs work. If you have a second register you do not open shifts on very often, you will have to clear out old tickets on it before you can use it without confusion.
Would love to be able to view, adjust, and receive inventory from a single screen. If you have lots of adjustments to do, you have to run a report and print it then go to adjust or receive separately.
Just raised monthly subscription prices 30%+ unless you committed paying to at least two years in advance. Who knows where you might be in two years?

• Reviewed on 2017/07/21
Juan C.
Co-owner
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/26

"I'm definitely a fan, but..."

Comments: As I noted in the title of this review, "I'm definitely a fan, but..." The issues noted in the Cons section are real and they have a cost in goodwill and in real dollars. I just wish we could figure out how to minimize their occurances.

Pros: Being able to step in as a new owner to a business that had already been running ShopKeep and having the migration to our new account work almost seamlessly was ABSOLUTELY great! The pre-sales and support staff were fantastic. Once on ShopKeep, being new to it was no big issue as well. Learning it was easy and intuitive. Bottom line: when ShopKeep is running OK it's great and when something goes the way of a hiccup - either large or small - the SK technical support people are very knowledgeable, always helpful and patient until we have a resolution.

Cons: Where I'm not a fan is the multitude of ways in which there can be "hiccups" of all types connectivity and simple functioning of card readers, scanners, printers, and cash drawers. These issues are sporadic, unexpected and always a hassle to resolve while customers are standing there. Devices drop connectivity intermittently or altogether or they simply stop working or whatever. Then, we have to goes thru multiple steps trying to figure it out on our own before calling SK tech support. The software hasn't let us down from what I've seen but the integration with peripheral devices - all authorized or purchased thru SK - is problematic in the extreme at times.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/26
Justin H.
  • Reviewed on 2019/10/24

"Backoffice is the best"

Pros: I love the depth of reports and inventory management. It is easy to teach my employees how to utilize the registers as well as the back office features.

Cons: The only real con that I can come up with is the lack of mobility.

• Reviewed on 2019/10/24
Christy K.
Managing Partner

"Love this POS"

Comments: Excellent. The customer service is great too!

Pros: I love how easy it is to use and to teach to new employees. I love the inventory management features.

Cons: I wish I could use the barcodes that exist on the product and did not have to enter every product into inventory

Joan H.
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees

"Shopkeep Rocks!"

Comments: We went from a mechanical cash register to this system. I now have complete control over my inventory. It tells me what I need to order and when. End of year inventory is a snap. We never run into the kinds of errors that we used to encounter and when there is a problem we can easily track it down and rectify it. I had one of our artists request and accounting of his expenditures for tax purposes and was able to provide it without a problem. I feel so much more on top of my business now.

Pros: The whole ShopKeep system functions in an iPad world so the learning curve is great. If you are an iPad user, the functionality already makes sense to you.

Cons: We have a multi-faceted business (Frame Shop, Art Supply Store and Teaching Studios with classes and workshops) so sometimes it's a little hard to "bend " the programs to my needs....but we usually can figure it out and the ShopKeep people are always willing to listen to suggestions to improve functionality.